[PP-F1] [[COMPLETED]] A New Encounter (Glory)

While I didn't have nearly enough col to buy any good gear, I decided to browse around the NPC shops in the starter town anyway. Even though I couldn't get the stuff I still wanted to see what was available so I could think about what overall look I would go with later on. After searching around for awhile I wandered over to a quaint little food stall. As I was busy looking at the admittedly impressive assortment of fruits I felt something bump into me from behind. I wasn't quite startled but I turned around to see what was wrong. I saw no one standing directly behind me but as I looked down I saw a girl laying on the ground flustered. I knew I couldn't just leave her there so I offered her my hand and said, "Need any help?"

Edited by Koumori
  • Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glory loved to look at the types of food that Aincrad had to offer since she realized how much the game was like home, it really was interesting to her plus she was a food enthusiast after all. She touched a fruit on the bottom of a stack and soon enough to fruit fell down which caused the merchant to glare at her which sent Glory running off instantly as she was afraid and extremely embarrassed. Now she sat somewhere in hiding where nobody would see her since a lot of people had looked at her when she ran away which was devastating to Glory. She sat there for a while before sticking her legs out since they were tired of being in the same position and accidentally bumped into someone. Ducking her head to hide her face while it was covered in a bight red blush Glory kept silent hoping nobody would spot her but slowly moved her eyes to look at whoever spoke to her since they seemed kind and weren't taunting her. "N-No..." To be polite she took his hand and lifted her self up from the ground and smoothed out her long tunic. "A-Are you going to make fun of m-me now?" She asked quietly while bowing her head and holding her hands together in front of her. "S-Sorry for bumping into you... I-It was an accident I promise." Her stuttering became worse since she was embarrassed and talking to a stranger too.

The girl I helped up was...timid to say the least. She had the look of someone who was hopelessly lost but I could tell this wasn't the case. As I inspected her I felt like this would only make the situation worse. I decided that the best thing to do would be to play it off casually. I hadn't had much interaction with other players yet so I didn't want to start off with a reputation as a jerk. "I'm okay don't worry about it, I would never laugh" I said to her. "You look troubled, is everything okay?"

"O-Oh." Glory nodded and her blush died down. "That's nice of y-you. Thanks for that. I-I just thought maybe... yeah..." She shrugged and kept her eye on her feet as if they were the most interesting thing at the moment while beginning to twiddle her thumbs idly. "I-I'm fine. My day hasn't been the best. I j-just feel bad for ruining a merchant's s-stall by accident. W-Well how are you? I guess... You don't need to worry about me."

The girl seemed to call down a bit, but she was still quite flustered. She wouldn't meet my gaze, perhaps I had done something wrong? I brushed that thought aside and put my hands on my hips, I was going to cheer her up. Before I said anything though I noticed something that I hadn't realized. Despite the fact she seemed young she was my age. I decided I should change my tactic a little. I took my right hand of my hip and began to scratch the top of my head and with a light smile I said, "Well I'd feel bad if I just left you here now. If you want we could find a nice place to sit and I could be your sounding board haha." Oh man could I have said that any more awkwardly? I really should just stick to myself. "My names Koumori by the way."

"I-If you want." Glory lifted her head and smiled at the stranger but still felt uncomfortable due to her shyness, at least she was warming up to him a little. She giggled awkwardly and lightly. Glory nodded thinking he sounded silly and because she didn't really understand the joke but went along with what he said anyways to make both of them feel better. "Lead the way Koumori. I-I like your name." Glory looked around for a bench and waited to see if Koumori would show her where they could sit. Of course she was still one to not like social interaction but since he promised not to laugh Glory felt much better around him. "I'm Glory... i-it's nice to meet you. T-Thanks again for being so friendly."

"Don't sweat it" I said in response to Glory's shy speech. I could tell at this point that she and I were kind of alike: not used to talking to people. Although unlike her I'm not shy. But she did seem to be warming up so I must have done something right. I looked over and noticed she kept glancing in my direction, like she was waiting for my lead. I tried to think of the best place to go and I remembered a nice little NPC shop in the corner of town. The front of the place was more like a small plaza with a medium sized fountain and benches all around. It was a little bit of a walk but it was a relatively quite place so it should be pretty empty. Plus I was headed that way anyway so it's a win win. "There's a shop with a nice seating area not to far from here. Why don't we go there?" Without giving her time to respond I started walking in that direction. Then it dawned on me. What was I doing? I should have just helped her up and then went on with my business. But something about her made me want to give her at least the time of day. She seemed like she needed someone to talk to. But despite my self assuring thoughts I couldn't help but make an over the top, almost comical, sour expression in a direction she couldn't see. What am I getting myself into?

Glory wondered why strangers in this game were so kind to her while in real life not everyone would be nice to her even if she was being as friendly as possible. Maybe the game changed everyone or maybe people just wanted allies. Honestly she didn't want to know why because of the answer but also couldn't help but wonder about things. "O-Okay." Glory jogged quickly to catch up with Koumori who was already walking without her so Glory found she had no choice but to accept really. She blushed thinking about going somewhere so soon with someone she barely knew that wasn't in the fields or to another floor. "S-Sounds fun..." Glory muttered and held her hands together in front of her shyly while keeping her head turned from the boy beside her. "W-Why're you being so nice to me? You don't h-have to answer if you don't want to I'm just wondering honest."

That question caught me off guard. Why was I helping her? I was wondering the same thing myself. I had literally no reason to be doing what I was doing. I didn't know her, like I said I could just leave. But still I felt like it was the right thing to do. Glory looked like she needed someone to talk to. I'm not adverse to helping people so it wasn't that much of a hassle. As we were walking I finally responded "You just seem like someone who could use a little support. I don't know, you seemed a little lost, I'd feel bad if I left you there." I said as I smiled warmly at her. I think I was feeling the anxiety I could tell she had. I hope she doesn't get the wrong impression. 

"I-I do?" Glory felt ashamed and frowned then turned to look at Koumori with soft eyes. "I don't mean to... I-I'm sorry..." She was already insecure and this made her feel worse but Glory wasn't trying to let it show. His smile made her feel better though and she could tell he wasn't trying to hurt her feelings at all just trying to help and she thought that was a really good thing for him to do. "T-That's sweet." Glory grinned and blushed lightly because she was complimenting someone so soon. "I haven't really thought of it but maybe I do need support...I-I'm not lost though!" She added quickly and shook her head while keeping her focus on the ground. "So y-you just wanted to talk? I'm no good at that..."

"Oh I'm sorry I didn't mean to make fun of you! I just meant that, uhh, I don't know. I wasn't trying to say you were weak or anything." No I had done it. I was trying to be sincere but I chose the wrong words. Although as she kept talking it seemed like she understood what I meant so I was relieved a little. But still I had to salvage the situation. She says she's not good at talking. I'm sure that's not true I'll just have to take the lead for once. We reached the shop and I chose the bench closest to the fountain to sit on. Looking at her I said "It's alright, Glory. I don't mean to intrude, I mean we are still strangers, but I think it's okay to ask. What drives you here in SAO?" This was a deep question and I only had an idea of what I was getting myself into. 

"I-It's okay honest!" Glory stared Koumori dead in the eyes so he knew she meant what she said. "I know what you meant, well just a little but that still counts. I-I just realized that I'm a little too reliant I guess. D-Do you think that's a bad thing?" Glory wondered aloud wanting Koumori's honest opinion and hoping he would give it. She finally realized how long she'd been looking at the boy and blushed before watching ahead of her to see where they were at and to act as if she hadn't been staring too long. When Koumori sat down Glory plopped onto the bench too but made sure to sit on the edge since that's where she was most comfortable and where it was easiest to escape and run away if need be. Her eyes focused on the fountain until Koumori spoke again then she bowed her head but moved her eyes to look at him. "Drives?" Glory repeated now in deep thought. "I-I want to avenge the deaths of a group of girls I couldn't stop!" A few tears already made their way down her cheeks and Glory slumped down now embarrassed at her outburst. "I promise I tried t-to save them b-but they wouldn't listen... I-I almost killed myself... Is it all my fault?" She covered her face and blushed madly, even though the tears stopped her voice was still shaky. "I'm sorry..." Glory shook her head to dismiss her actions and forget about them with her head still bowed but hands cupped together in her lap. "W-What drives you to live on in this game Koumori?"

I was shocked. The story she told me was worse than anything I was expecting. She almost took part in a suicide pact? At least that's what it sounded like she was describing. I heard that kind of thing was common. As the only one who chose to stay behind she must be feeling unbelievable guilt. I have to find a way to reassure her. Here goes nothing. "There's nothing you could have done. Once someone makes up their mind it's hard to get them to change. But from the looks of it you are the truly strong one. You chose not to take the easy way out, you chose life. It's just too bad they couldn't see it the same way as you, they should have relied on you. I don't have nearly as noble a goal as you. I just want to be stronger. To be able to save others and help those in need...kinda cheesy huh?" Throughout my long winded speech my tone changed from serious to light hearted, I thought that would be a good way to end it. It seemed like we were warming up to each other. 

Glory hummed and smiled lifting her head slightly to look at Koumori. "Not at all. Um... Like a knight or warrior." She joked and rubbed her eyes feeling much better but decided not to mention her incident again. "T-Thank you Koumori..." Glory muttered before sitting up straight and leaning back comfortably on the bench, her heart now warm because of his speech. "You're not the only one who wants to be stronger after all. I want to be able to walk around and know I'm the strongest one day... but I get scared out there without someone by my side..." She shrugged knowing that like Jevi said she would need to learn to defend herself one day. "You seem tough though I bet you'll be strong in no time!" Glory grinned as her light brown eyes glowed due to her spirits rising. "Say if you could choose now would you leave? Would you ever go back in time and stop yourself from playing the game? I-I know some people like being stuck here so I was just wondering what you think." She played with her short hair but finally gained enough confidence to look at Koumori instead of lowering her head and diverting her eyes.

"You'll be strong too one day, Glory. Trust me on that. We'll both reach the top how about that?" I said this with as warm a smile the system would allow. I looked at her and she seemed to look more comfortable. She met my gaze and didn't avert her eyes for the first time and I could tell I wasn't totally screwing up with this one. Of course I willingly responded to her next question, "I don't know if I can answer that yet. If I were I think I'd jump and say I'd love to go back. But I think in time I might learn something from this world, and it may be worth it." This hole time I had been sitting almost like there was a pole lodged up my butt, but at this point I decided to relax too. I leaned back and spread out my legs. This was relaxing. Maybe interactions weren't bad in small amounts. Or maybe I'm naturally inclined to like certain people. 

"D-Did you mean... t-together? Y-You'll be my friend right?" Glory wondered aloud thinking that's what Koumori meant plus she really did want to be a friend of his since he seemed to already be someone she'd want to hang out with a lot if he wanted to that is. Still she nodded and closed her eyes while smiling brightly though she had yet to show her teeth while smiling around him. "And we will reach the top as strong players. Maybe I-I can reach my goal after all..." Glory told herself with the last sentence but kept a happy tone to her voice to avoid being or seeming gloomy. There was not enough time in the game to be sad at all and she knew that which is why Glory tried her hardest not to cry, a few moments ago being an exception to that fact. "Y-You might be right you know. I just know my family is probably freaking and that my best friend probably feels really bad. He let me take the first turn knowing how much a loved RPG's." She paused and glanced away from Koumori again. "I-If you don't mind me asking... How'd you get stuck? J-Just know it's always your choice to answer or not, not mine just reminding you." 

Did I mean together? I kind of just said that without thinking. I mean I didn't dislike her but was that my intention? I've never gone out and tried to make friends in this game. Hey there's a first time for everything, I turned to her reassuringly and said "Of course. Together." She mumbled something to herself after than and I couldn't hear but then she turned to me again and talked about getting stuck in this world. I chuckled a bit at her continuing insistence in clarifying everything she says. Funny girl. "Maybe you should've let him have the first go, haha" I said chuckling. "Well in my case I couldn't wait to get my hands on SAO. The promise of my own world were I could shape myself into something I couldn't reach in the real world. It looked like a kind of freedom. Well, not anymore I guess." This was the first conversation in awhile I actually got invested in. I usually don't stray from my straight face. I think I'm almost glad she bumped into me. 

"Good." Glory clapped her hands together before placing them in her lap again. She was clearly happy to have a companion and being someone who trusted even strangers of course she didn't mind the two had only met. After she spoke Glory sent Koumori a friend request quickly and waited for him to respond by staring at her hands and blushing hoping he would accept. She smiled hardly and shook her head in disagreement. "No. Then I would feel awful but I-I also wouldn't get to meet amazing people..." Glory thought about Takao and Jevi, then moved her light brown eyes to look at Koumori again but kept her head down. "You count too." She was a little surprised at how quickly she'd been warming up to people lately and then Glory realized that since everyone was so friendly to her so far that she'd been able to make connections. Maybe it was because she was in a game instead of in the real world?

"Yeah... Being stuck in a game is sort of a problem." She joked sarcastically, smiling at Koumori finally turning her head back to him again. "But i this wasn't how the game turned out we wouldn't have met like this. I-I would've been... different." Glory sighed at the thought of her avatar disappearing and changing to her own short, insecure, chubby figure from a confident woman. "Games gave me confidence. So I guess we're kind of the same huh?"

Glory seemed overjoyed, but no less shy, after I said that. She quickly brought up her menu with a swipe of he right hand and, after a few motions, a friend request popped up in front of me. She stared intently downward after she was finished, as if praying I would accept. To me it seemed like she was making herself unnecessarily worried, of course I would accept. A brought up my hand and hit the blue "O" signifying my acceptance. There it was. Friend number one in SAO. I wondered how my friend list would expand here. Honestly I hoped it wasn't by much. If I'm going to do this I think a few close friends are better than countless "kinda" friends. But at this point I felt like I should continue to keep a little distance, in my mind that is. I don't think I'd deal with loss very well. I turned my attention back to her and only caught the tail end of what she was saying. Crap I need to get my thoughts together. Nonetheless I responded the best I could. "Yeah that's true, without these circumstances we would never have met...yeah I think you're right. We are alike. I think that's true for a lot of the players here too." I looked up and noticed it was beginning to get dark, what should we do next?

Glory hardly noticed that Koumori was lost in his own thoughts since she was so focused and wrapped up in her own. "Yeah..." She agreed quietly and played with a few strands of her short brown hair not knowing what to say next and feeling uncomfortable because of the silence. When Koumori looked up she did the same and the sky was darker than she remember it being only then did Glory realize she must have been out more than half the day before her new friend found her. "D-Do you wanna go inside m-maybe?" She asked while tapping her fingers together nervously. "M-Maybe a inn o-or a cafe? I don't like being out in the dark... What do you think? I'm not trying t-to force you or anything."