[OP-F3] Parts for Potions

After a few failed attempts at making more potions for her newly set up alchemy shop, Piera determined she was going to need a lot more materials in order to keep making potions for the shop with the good chance that at least half of them would be lost to failed attempts as she experimented and practiced her potioneering. She'd asked Lee to look after the shop for her while she did some gathering and he obliged. It wasn't likely that there would be any trouble for him in this, she'd only had one customer since her 'grand opening' and it wasn't like she had a wide variety to choose and buy from. Sadly. So the brunette set off from the edge of Delilah Village to walk further out into the prairie of floor three. She trekked through the vast fields of dandelions, smiling softly as she squatted occasionally to pick flowers in the hopes of gathering materials. Sadly though, her search provided no results and so Piera continued her walk, keeping a look out for other players or possible good places to search as she hummed to herself.

ID: 27221
LD: 11 (no materials)

Edited by Piera

ID: 27303
Loot Dice: 5 (Search and Detect +2 / Item +1) = 8

"I swear this freaking patch is going to be the death of me...of course I have done gathering trips on this floor before, so I wonder if it's just that the materials have not respawned just yet."

Giving a small sigh Calrex tossed aside yet another wilted herb he had inspected while out in the fields on the third floor. Since he was planning to maximize his chances of procuring materials, he was not clad in his full-body armor, but instead the more barebones version, the Grand Dragoon. Underneath the shoulder pauldrons and poleyns was his casual combat clothing, the light blue jacket and white shirt covering his upper body, while his dark gray pants concealed his legs. Hanging around his neck was the small ocean-like blue orb of the Ocean's Defense, with the Amethyst Charm wrapped around his wrist. Finally the Grand Blade was sitting in its sheath on the back of his hip, the handle extended towards his right hand.

"Ever since that patch was released it seems my ability to gather materials has taken a serious hit. Maybe the next skill I'll need to focus on is grandmastering Search and Detect, because this is starting to get just a little bit ridiculous."

Dusting his hands off he put them in his pockets as he looked upwards, "Any luck Roc?"

His light blue peregrine falcon familiar flew down from the sky as he landed softly in front of Calrex, shaking his head. He gave a small sigh before nodding, "Alright then, well let's keep at it. There's got to be something we can find."

Edited by Calrex

ID: 27378
LD: 14 (no materials)

It was very quiet on this floor Piera noticed and sort of liked it depending on her mood. Currently she wished that she had music to listen to though and hummed the tune of a song she liked as she scanned the area, still not finding any materials. As a slight breeze rustled the grass and flowers, she tucked a loose lock of hair back behind her ear before noticing something in the sky. That's an unusual bird, I haven't seen one like that around here before. She mused, watching its graceful flight with passing interest. It was flying fairly low, or at least low enough for her to get a vague look at it when she squinted. "Is that a hawk?" She asked herself with a hint of a smile, recalling an amusing memory. But the smile dipped into a frown as she considered that it might just be a monster and she wouldn't relish fighting it.

Walking further into the field, unconsciously following the avian's path, Piera wondered if it would drop anything. She could probably make a potion using feathers. Shielding her eyes from the sun, the alchemist watching the falcon glide in slow lazy curves until it caused her to turn to follow it and she saw a figure across the field. Her mouth opened in surprise and wondered for a brief second if it was someone she knew. But upon closer look, she realized it couldn't possibly be anyone she knew. His armor wasn't very large, but she could tell even from this distance that it was good quality. Obviously levels higher than herself and that in and of itself made her immensely wary. Should she play it safe and turn and go back to her shop? Or just continue looking for materials as if she hadn't seen him? Or maybe be friendly and approach? Maybe she was just being silly and cowardly. Her mind buzzed with all of the choices and she hadn't realized she was simply standing stock still, staring intensely at the male with a look of trepidation on her face.

Edited by Piera

ID: 27379
Loot Dice: 20 (Search and Detect +2 / Item +1) = 23

Calrex gave a small sigh as he got to his feet once again, dusting off his hands before putting them into his jacket pockets, "Hm...still no luck...Huh?"

As he heard a familiar flap he turned to see that Roc had returned, a talon full of flower he had picked nearby. Upon inspecting them Calrex found that they were in suitable condition for usage as material, "Nice work. At least we'll be able to go back with something this time around. If we keep up this pace we might even be able to get ten materials before the day is over."

Acknowledging his words Roc quickly took off into the air once again while Calrex added the items to his inventory, the count matching one total material. "Alright, better scan the area for any potential enemies lying in wait."

Giving a calming breath he opened his eyes, his <<Reveal>> skill activating as he scanned the landscape, "Nothing so fa...hm?"

His eyes locked on another player nearby that seemed to be staring at him, as if confused as to how they should approach. He put a hand behind his head and ruffled the back of his hair, "Do they need some help or something? They seem to be gazing over here with some strange kind of intensity."

He gave a calming breath before raising a hand, giving a friendly wave, "Hey there, did you need a hand with something?"

Total: 1

Edited by Calrex

ID: 27381
LD: 7 (no materials)

Piera watched with curiosity as the blue bird dipped and landed on the player before taking off again. A familiar then. With this new knowledge, she couldn't help but feel a little bit more relaxed, finding it hard to believe a player that had worked hard to gain the loyalty of a monster to be a bad person. There was still the possibility however. Suddenly realizing that he was staring back at her, the brunette awkwardly looked around her for some sort of distraction, hoping to find materials to gather as an attempt to look busy but finding no such luck.

Hearing the man speak and realizing that he was calling out to her, made her realize she had just been standing and staring at him and her hand reached up to tug on her bangs in an embarrassed habit before raising it to wave back as she slowly approached him, not wanting to yell back and forth across the field. "Ah, h-hi. Sorry, I didn't mean to stare. I didn't think anyone else would be out here. This floor isn't very popular." At least not for higher leveled players like him that was.

Then his question finally registered for her and she replied, "Oh, I'm just gathering some materials. You?" Her face seemed more calm now, her expression set into her standard polite smile that she kept up at work, while her body was still a bit stiff and on edge.

Edited by Piera

ID: 27382
Loot Dice: 15 (Search and Detect +2 / Item +1) = 18

"Oh no, it's alright. It's just it seemed like you were trying to get my attention. In any case, you said you're looking for materials as well? I'd be happy to lend a hand if you'd like. Material gathering has become kind of my unofficial profession, so it's really no trouble at all."

"Well, become isn't exactly the word for it, because I chose to do it in the first place. None of the professions seemed interesting, so I just took it upon myself to make this little volunteer thing my 'job.' It's certainly been helpful so far, and I hope it's been helping the shops I gotten materials for."

As if on cue Roc appeared once again with another talon full of flowers, "Nice work Roc...oh right, I should probably introduce myself. I'm Calrex, and this here is Roc. He's been giving me a hand with gathering materials since he joined me as an associate."

Immediately after the falcon took off into the air once again as Calrex added the handful of flowers to his inventory, "Alright, that makes two so far. Definitely a better pace than before."

Total: 2

Edited by Calrex

ID: 27398
LD: 3 (no materials)

Piera chuckled awkwardly as he explained that he had thought that she had been trying to draw his attention. "Sorry. I'm not really a people person." Immediately she berated herself inwardly for just blurting something like that out. She was drawn out of her mental lecture by his offer. "Oh you are?" Her expression perked up along with her tone of voice, surprised that he was here for the very same reason. "What's your professional profession then? If you don't mind me asking that is. I just became an alchemist. My shop's on this floor actually."

Then she realized she had just been prattling on about herself and hadn't actually answered his offer, "Um, I wouldn't mind you joining me, but you don't have to share, I'm sure you need them just as badly."  Without a sound, the blue bird of prey that she had seen earlier swooped down to deposit a talon of flowers to the male player's hand. As the dark haired man praised his familiar, she saw upon closer look that Roc was a falcon, not a hawk and she smiled as the avian flew off once again. "I can't imagine how useful that is." She sighed longingly, honestly a bit envious of the other player's familiar if only for the fact that it could help him gather materials.

Hearing the introduction, the brunette's head turned to look away from the falcon back to its owner and she smiled automatically before replying as she outstretched her hand for him to shake, "I'm Piera. It's nice to meet you both." She realized that the bird probably could care less about her, but she was always tickled to see players with familiars. She realized that some players would only get them for the unique boosts or features, but some would still just like to have an animal companion. It made her miss her own pet. The alchemist scanned the nearby grass and flowers, almost in hopes of finding a snake in the brush, but she'd settle for some plants she could use as materials. She just wasn't having any luck though.

Edited by Piera

ID: 27426
Loot Dice: 16 (Search and Detect +2 / Item +1) = 19

"An alchemist? That's a very useful profession. I know a couple of other players that have taken that profession as well, it certainly seems to have a lot of items that players tend to need on a regular basis. For me, well, I actually I never took on an official profession in the game, heh. None of them really appealed to me, so in the end I ended up making this my job. For the most part I gather materials when shops need them."

Hearing a familiar screech Calrex looked up once again to see Roc return, this time not with a bundle of flowers, but with a strange collection of herbs. Some seemed similar to the ones in the real world, used for cooking, while others looked unique to the game itself. Inspecting all of them he deemed them in good condition before giving a nod as the falcon took off once again. After adding the handful to his inventory Calrex accepted the handshake with a friendly smile. "Nice to meet you Piera. Also it's no problem. How many were you planning on gathering today? If anything we can find whatever amount you need, and then the extra I can hold on to for donation to other shops."

Total: 3

Edited by Calrex

ID: 27447
LD: 9 (no materials)

Piera nodded with a content smile as Calrex commented on how her profession was one of the most useful. "I'm used to playing a support role in games and being an alchemist seemed the closest I could get in SAO." It was a shame she couldn't just throw potions at her party members and have them be healed. Linking her fingers together, her mouth opened in a surprise 'O' shape at the revelation that he didn't actually have a profession. "Ohhh. Wow you are probably every shop owner's best friend then, huh? Haha." She chuckled lightly at the vision in her head of numerous people gathered around Calrex, fawning over him and tempting him to give them materials. "That's a pretty cool idea actually. Must definitely be useful to be on the good side of different professions, probably get you some choice items too, heh."

As Roc swooped down to gift his owner with more materials, the spear-woman walked over to a clump of taller flowers and crouched down to look through them, only finding useless weeds, nothing she would be able to use as materials. Sighing, the brunette stood and smiled slightly as Calrex returned her handshake. At his question of her material goal, she tilted her head in thought. "I didn't really come out with a goal in mind. Honestly any would be nice." She considered his offer and was tempted to turn it down, but reconsidered with the knowledge that he himself wasn't going to use them after all. "It'd be nice to get five or six, that'd hold me over for a bit. I'm going through them like water it seems." She sheepishly flattened the back of her hair.

Edited by Piera

ID: 27450
Loot Dice: 2 (Search and Detect +2 / Item +1) = 3

"Wow, only five or six? We can probably knock that out fairly quickly. Although I guess if you're going through them 'like water,' then I'm guessing that your crafts per day fall at around that amount right?"

As Roc continued to search around Calrex scanned the ground nearby. Like Piera had discovered, most of them were infested or being suffocated by weeds, making then unsuitable for materials, "Hm...it might be time to get moving to a new patch of ground to search."

"Well, I can't really say that I'm able to gather materials fast enough to be that popular, heh. But since I don't charge anything for whatever materials I gather it's kind of become a simple exchange, where if they feel like there's some item or something equivalent to my service, they're free to do so. But really, I do it because in the long run if the shops can stay open, that means items can continue to be provided to players, which increases their survivability."

Edited by Calrex

ID: 27447
LD: 3 (no materials)

Piera blinked at Calrex's reaction to the number she had offered and wondered if that was too low. Chuckling weakly at his expectations for her she shook her head. "Ah..no. I only just started out, but I did just achieve rank two! So only three crafts per day. Now that i can make crystals though, I'd like to keep practicing to make more and fill up my stock. But I only have....I think three materials? Left." She paused in the middle of her sentence to think, trying to remember the number.

Noticing that his familiar had been flying in a particular direction, the brunette began to walk slowly (so as not to make Calrex think that she was just walking away from him) towards that direction. Maybe that area would have ground or soil or who knows what for proper materials to be grown and found. "I wonder if you could grow your own materials." She wondered aloud, pausing for a moment to kneel down and investigate an indentation in the otherwise flat land. Peering into the hole she realized it was a burrow of some sort and wondered if there were some mushrooms or something in it and reached her hand in, only to brush against something warm and soft and she squeaked in surprise, jerking her hand back as a meerkat looking rodent poked its head out before darting back in its home. Sighing in defeat, the brunette stood and kept walking.

Piera grinned as he said that he wasn't collecting materials fast enough to be popular and argued, "Hey, you've gotten more than I have and we only just started!" She nodded as he spoke of the simple exchange of materials for items being secondary to helping out player run shops and increasing overall player survivability. Standing straight and looking over the man before stating, "That's pretty logical and noble. Most players would rather just look out for themselves. Maybe sell gathered materials to the highest bidder."

Edited by Piera

ID: 27729
Loot Dice: 11 (Search and Detect +2 / Item +1) = 14

Calrex gave a small laugh when Piera commented on the difference between his words and what was currently happening, "Heh, well that's just a stroke of luck. My Search and Detect skill is only level 2, so I can't really say that it's giving me a significant boost just yet."

As he continued to scan along the ground he looked to see a couple of herbs that might be useful for making into potions and such, but as he looked closer and picked them up a nearby breeze ran though the field, knocking them out of his hand and out into the wind, "Dang, I haven't had that happen in a while. I really need to remember to actually grab those things rather than hold them out in my palm."

"Well I never really thought of it as noble. Selling things didn't really seem very useful, as it would be just moving money around in the end. Plus i've never really been one to exploit or use people. For me it seems like it would just make more enemies. Besides, in the end I'm just trying to help me and the people I care about make it to the end. If helping others become strong enough to add to the front lines, then so be it."

Roc looked down to see that Piera had begun to follow him, beginning to descend slightly closer to the ground and starting some circling patterns, as if to help point out possible area with harvestable materials.

Edited by Calrex

ID: 27823
LD: 1 (no materials)

Piera couldn't help but pout slightly as he stated rationally that though he had the Search and Detect skill apparently it didn't aid him much at such a low level. "At least you have that though." She stated, hint of a grumble in her tone. Watching the dark haired warrior stooped down when he found some materials, but a breeze whisked them away before he could deposit them in his inventory. Mouth open in surprise that such a thing could happen, the brunette set to looking for more possible promising looking clumps.

The alchemist shrugged as Calrex's denial of thinking that it was noble, giving away mats for free. "The entire economy is kinda built on 'moving money around'. You're not exploiting anyone. Just providing a service. Or goods rather. Saves them the trouble of doing this for hours on end in the hopes of finding enough materials to last them through a few days. I'm just saying that you're missing out on some serious col, even if you just charged like....fifty col or something like that."

As he continued to say that he was just trying to help those that he cared about as well as help others progress to high enough level to become clearers she shrugged. "By all means, continue giving them out for free. I'm just saying that you could profit from charging strangers. Everyone always needs money. Hell I heard a rumor that there's places that you can buy to live in (permanently) up on the higher floors. That'd be nice to save up for. Inns and those tiny areas above some of the shops aren't really comfortable living spaces, y'know?"

Seeing a tall and thriving weed, Piera squatted down to pick it only to find that it wouldn't give. Frowning and using both hands to grab the weed, the brunette pursed her lips as she pulled as hard as she could....only for the weed to shatter into blue polygons when it came out with a sharp 'pop', sending her crashing back on her rear with a wince. "Ugh, stupid plants." She cursed, gingerly getting to her feet and wiping off her hands on her skirt.

Edited by Piera

ID: 27863
Loot Dice: 18 (Search and Detect +2 / Item +1) = 21

"Yeah, you have a point. I guess I'll need to think about it for sure."

"Somehow I have a feeling that if I do start charging that there will be less people asking though. Well, I'll save that to contemplate for another time."

Looking over he noticed that Piera had tried to pull out a particular unique weed from the ground, but it seemed to have been an ordeal all of naught, as the plant dissipated into crystals. Looking around where he was standing he found another collection of herbs, picking them from the ground before keeping them tightly grasped in his hand to ensure they were not blown away once again. Seeing they were suitable he added them to his inventory once again, "Alright that makes four so far. Still, compared to the past this is a slower pace than before. Well, I guess that patch if definitely in effect then."

"A permanent place would be nice. Of course I'm wondering if it's going to be limited to a single floor, or possibly we'll have the option to select where we would like to set it up."

Total: 4

Edited by Calrex

ID: 27936
LD: 11 (no materials)

Brushing the remnants of grass and polygons off of her, Piera shrugged at his statement that she had a point but he would still need to think it over. "It's your life." She replied, not unkindly. The alchemist understood wanting to help people and she had the same urges, but knew that Sword Art Online could be a harsh place to live. Sometimes charity would save a life but sometimes it would cost one as well. But that was for each person to decide on their own.

Shaking off such heavy thoughts, the brunette began walking more towards the dark haired warrior as he spoke of a permanent living space being nice. Frowning in thought and consideration, the alchemist stated unsurely, "Maybe a combination? I dunno. I would imagine that there's already physical places wherever there are living spaces available and you'd just need to buy them when you get there. There's supposed to be a hundred floors to this place so I can't imagine the game would be designed to just have everyone living on the same floor. That'd be a bit boring."

Looking around intently as she spoke, Piera frowned as she couldn't find any materials still, looking at Calrex with reproach, wondering how good his stats had to be that he was still steadily finding materials, with and without the help of his familiar. She was about to make a joking remark about his luck as she walked closer and then paused, looking at him closer. "Hey......" Her voice drifted off as her green eyes squinted behind her glasses. "Calrex. Didn't we meet already?" She couldn't say that she had met too many players honestly, but now that she was closer and had a better look, he seemed familiar.

Edited by Piera

ID: 27948
Loot Dice: 20 (Search and Detect +2 / Item +1) = 23

"Yeah, I feel like that would be fairly awkward too, since it would cram literally everyone in the game to one floor. Even shop owners opt to pick whatever floor they want to operate on."

Upon hearing Piera ask if they had met before he looked back as he took a second look, his mind going through his memories before they fell on one particular event, "Oh...you're right! Lowenthal's birthday at the beach, heh, I guess it must have slipped my mind. Well awkwardness aside it's good to see you again."

He looked up as Roc appeared once again, this time bringing what appears to be a collection of mushrooms. Inspecting them he notice that these ones seemed to be a strange mix between a collection of rocks and a bundle organic fungi. Parts of them were solid and resistant, much like a piece of good ore, while other parts had give and springiness, just like a mushroom, "Huh, nice work Roc."

Adding the mushrooms to his inventory he gave a nod, "Alright that makes five so far on my end. Just one more and we've hit your quota, but if you need we can get some more."

Total: 5

Edited by Calrex

ID: 27953
LD: 10 (no materials)

Piera chuckled at the image of tens of thousands of players being somehow crammed onto one floor. "That'd be a sight to see. Hmm..." She frowned as a thought came to her. "I hope I can relocate my shop when I get too high a level. Eh I can live with staying here though." She reasoned, looking around the flowery field. She had chosen this floor for a reason, it was simply nice. It reminded her somewhat of a mix between the three homes of her life, California, Maine and North Carolina. It didn't hurt that it was a low enough leveled to be nearly completely safe for her and Lee as well as that usually it had good materials. Maybe other crafters had already gotten them all. Or all the luck was being sucked up by Calrex. She was starting to get suspicious.

The dark haired warrior paused to think for a moment before he exclaimed that they had met at Lowenthal's beach birthday bash. "Ah! Yeah that was it. Sorry, there was a lot of people there that I didn't know." She tried to excuse with a bashful smile, remembering that she could've counted the people she knew on one hand. "Good to see you too though. How do you know Lowenthal? If you don't mind me asking that is."

Looking away from the taller player, she wondered if she overstepped and busied herself with walking over to what looked like a sapling attempting to grow. Poking around it, she thought she might find something useful but was sadly disappointed. Looking up she saw that Roc had brought his master more materials and she pouted before clearing her expression as Calrex spoke to her. Sigh in exasperation she replied, "Five and I haven't found one. I really can't just take that. You need them for your friends too. I was fine just splitting them but I swear if Sword Art Online has a God, I'm pretty sure I'm not very high up on his list."

Edited by Piera

ID: 27997
Loot Dice: 10 (Search and Detect +2 / Item +1) = 3

"Heh, well if there is a god I think we all know his name, and he also trapped us here."

Calrex gave a small smirk as he reached down and looked for any more materials. Unfortunately there was none to be found. At the same time Roc flew back as Calrex looked to see what he had recovered. A bead of sweat formed on the side of his head as this time the falcon had brought a decent sized grasshopper, "Roc...I don't think that's a..."

Before he could complete his sentence Roc had begun munching down on the insect, quickly finishing off his snack. Calrex put a hand behind his head, "Looks like it's feeding time for you huh. Alright go ahead and get some food for now. I'll keep looking around."

As his familiar took off once again Calrex responded to Piera's question, "Lowenthal? Actually I first met him when he was getting starting adventuring within SAO. I guess you could say I gave him the rundown of the basics within the game and got him familiarized with the combat system, even founding his own guild. He's definitely come a long way from back then. How about you?"

Total: 5

Edited by Calrex

Piera couldn't help but give a short and dry laugh at Calrex's response about SAO's god. "I'd hate to think who the devil would be."

The brunette looked up as Roc flew past the sun, creating a shadow as he swooped down, showing off his catch. "Gah!" She eloquently squawked before her expression twisted in disgust as the falcon munched down on the grasshopper. "Blegh. I hope at least it was appetizing for him." Shaking her head, the alchemist knelt down in a thick clump of flowers and tried to see if they were useable as materials as Calrex spoke of how he met Lowenthal. Sadly the flowers were useless and she ripped them up and threw them into the wind, watching them shatter into blue sparkly specks in the air.

At his explanation, a smile crept up on Piera's face, chuckling to herself. Looking up at the dark haired player she replied in amusement, "Almost the exact same thing except reversed. I was afraid to leave the Starting City until I met him. He and Jomei showed Lee and I how combat worked, showing off by dueling with each other for our amusement." Her eyes danced behind her oval glasses as she replayed the memory in her ind before moving on. "He even took me out to fight some low level mobs to make sure I got the hang of things and gave me a Perfect two handed spear." Referring to her cherished Bleeding Lance.

"Did the same with Lee and fully decked him out too. I owe him a lot and was only too happy to join the guild he started. So....thank you for helping him. And me in a way." Piera smiled over at Calrex, beginning to see why he was generous. It paid off in the end. If someone helped someone who helped another someone who helped someone else... A lot more someones would end up surviving this game.

ID: 28109
LD: 10 (no materials)

Edited by Piera

ID: 28159
Loot Dice: 12 (Search and Detect +2 / Item +1) = 15

"Really? Well I'm glad you guys benefitted from it. Lowenthal certainly has an interesting character, but he definitely has a good heart. For being a self-claimed Master of Shadows, he's not very stealthy, well, at least in terms of personality. In any case I'm glad you two are doing well."

Calrex looked around to see yet another bundle of herbs, picking them up. The wind picked up again, nearly blowing away his handful, but he managed to quickly clench his fist, keeping them from flying away, "Whew, that was close. Alright that makes six!"

He dusted his hands off, giving a nod to Piera, "Guess I'll keep looking for more materials for now. That was certainly a lot faster than my past few trips have gone. Maybe my skill is coming in handy after all."

Total: 6

Edited by Calrex