[PP-F3]Beware of Giants Bearing Gifts

OOC: Timeline-wise, this comes after the dungeon crawl on the 2nd floor. :)

With a small flash a hulking brute in beginner clothing consisting of brown leather boots, olive green pants, and a sleeve-less form fitting brown shirt appeared on the public portal platform on the third floor. The blonde man was accompanied by a snarling, vicious, growling grizzly bear. With a mighty, if tiny, cry of challenge to all the players in the portal pavilion, the grizzly flung himself from the platform and charged down the nearest player, mouth open and teeth bared. The monstrous thirty pound grizzly cub charged down his target and immediately began swatting at them with an open mouth. It was clear that he wanted something to eat. Of course, he always wanted something to eat, so why should his first time on the third floor of Aincrad be any different.

"Chewie, heel," the smith barked in a commanding tone. The bear gave his target one last baleful look and trotted dutifully over to his master's side. "The world does not exist for the sole purpose of feeding you," he continued in a low tone to Chewie, giving the cub a light thwap on the nose with the leather gauntlets he was carrying in his hands, which had been wrapped in a small leather cord with a sharp fang prominently displayed on it. Leading the way through the town, Mack wound his way in and out and around various houses and shops until he finally, shortly before lunch time, found the potion shop he was looking for. Taking one step towards the door, he was abruptly brought up short by a powerful rumble from somewhere. Stopping, he looked down at the bear cub with storm grey eyes.

"Chewie, even my stomach isn't that loud," he scoffed with a half sigh. Pulling up his inventory, Mack produced a loaf of bread and tossed it to the bear cub. The animal bellowed in delight and rose up on his hind legs to half catch the loaf with his paws and half catch it with his mouth. With a muffled grunt, Chewie continued to trot along at his master's side, pausing on occasion to gnaw a hunk out of the bread.

In truth, the blonde blacksmith wasn't sure why he was doing what he was about to do. No doubt, this was not going to end well. Nonetheless, there were few enough adult players in Aincrad and Piera had proven herself to be both a competent companion and a good fighter during the adventure in Fort Valmort. Grunting, Mack made his way to the door and, for half a second, considered picking up the bear cub at his side to use the animal's head to knock on the door. In the end, though, he settled for using his own knuckles and he rapped sharply on the door three times and waited for an answer.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Piera was bored. She had used up all of her available materials the previous day and was going to go grind for some mats, but it was Lee's turn to venture out and get some grinding of his own done. So she had to stay and mind the shop. Yawning slightly, the brunette didn't bother covering her mouth, not caring about manners since she was alone, instead idly scratching her head as she looked over her shop's inventory. It wasn't much, but it was steadily growing. And she had her first crystal available so that was something. Opening her menu, she looked through it out of boredom as she often did until she heard a knock on the shop's front door. Frowning and standing up, she hesitated, wondering why someone would knock rather than just come in. It was a shop after all. Hurrying to the door, she then noticed that the sign read 'open'....on her side. Smacking her forehead at her forgetfulness, the alchemist hurriedly flipped the sign and opened the door.

"Sorry, sorry! I thought I already ope- Oh Mack!" She exclaimed in surprise upon seeing the axe wielder that she had aided on the floor above not too long ago. Then her eyes caught movement by the blonde warrior's feet and she looked down to see a bear. "Whoa." It was a small bear admittedly, just a cub, but still! "Familiars are getting wilder and wilder, huh?" She remarked with an amused smile. "Come in, come in." She opened the door wider, ushering the two in before closing it. "What can I help you with? Here for potions or a crystal? Or do you need help with something else?"

Piera was bored. She had used up all of her available materials the previous day and was going to go grind for some mats, but it was Lee's turn to venture out and get some grinding of his own done. So she had to stay and mind the shop. Yawning slightly, the brunette didn't bother covering her mouth, not caring about manners since she was alone, instead idly scratching her head as she looked over her shop's inventory. It wasn't much, but it was steadily growing. And she had her first crystal available so that was something. Opening her menu, she looked through it out of boredom as she often did until she heard a knock on the shop's front door. Frowning and standing up, she hesitated, wondering why someone would knock rather than just come in. It was a shop after all. Hurrying to the door, she then noticed that the sign read 'open'....on her side. Smacking her forehead at her forgetfulness, the alchemist hurriedly flipped the sign and opened the door.

"Sorry, sorry! I thought I already ope- Oh Mack!" She exclaimed in surprise upon seeing the axe wielder that she had aided on the floor above not too long ago. Then her eyes caught movement by the blonde warrior's feet and she looked down to see a bear. "Whoa." It was a small bear admittedly, just a cub, but still! "Familiars are getting wilder and wilder, huh?" She remarked with an amused smile. "Come in, come in." She opened the door wider, ushering the two in before closing it. "What can I help you with? Here for potions or a crystal? Or do you need help with something else?"

Chewie didn't need to be told twice. Technically, he didn't need to be told once. The door opened and a brown and tan blur flashed past Piera and into the shop, with half a loaf of bread clenched in its teeth. During his mad rush into the shop, which was accompanied by several heavily muffled grunts and growls that sounded deeply intimidating to the ears of the cub, Chewie brushed against Piera's legs and dropped the half-eaten bread on the ground as he scrambled around to sniff at the flowers. And the tables. And the wears for sale. Then he considered eating one of the flowers and rejected the idea before circling back around to his loaf of bread and resuming his devouring of it.

"Would you like one bear cub? Slightly used. He's a bottomless pit for food, more pig than bear," Chewie matched those words in a spray of bread crumbs, his cheeks bulging with bread and completely unconcerned with what his master was saying. "I actually came by with these," the smith continued, holding out the Bobcat Gauntlets that were tied together with the thin leather strip that had a sharp canine tooth, belonging to a bobcat, strung on it. "From the 'Chuckles, the Flying Bobcat' Collection," the blonde behemoth said in a low rumble, waiting for Piera to take the gauntlets and charm which, respectively, would grant a +1 Damage Mitigation and a +1 Loot Dice bonus. With his antler charm and the Angelic Sheath, he had no need for either item and he doubted that uncommon items were all that likely to sell well in his shop. None of them had so far.

Piera blinked as the bear cub at his feet bounded in as soon as she opened the door, with bread in its mouth no less, though it was soon dropped in the interest of sniffing flowers. Bending over to pick up the piece of bread she commented lightly, "It's like a hairy toddler." Her eyes never left the cub as it sniffed around the store, wanting to make sure it didn't knock anything over...or try to eat anything. But it seemed more interested in the bread that it had dropped and she obligingly held it out for the bear to eat. At Mack's offer she chuckled, "Don't tempt me. You're lucky my boyfriend isn't here, he'd definitely take you up on that offer." Watching bread crumbs being sprayed on the floor as Chewie....chewed, the brunette sighed and figured that it gave her something to do later.

The alchemist looked back at Mack as he said that he had come by with something and looked down to see some rather warm looking furred gauntlets. Eyebrows raising slightly in mild surprise and interest, she automatically took them in hand before tapping the item to reveal its description and was surprised to see that it was two items, she hadn't noticed the leather string wrapping the gauntlets together was separate and not simply an accompanying decorative piece. Unraveling the charm, she looked at both of their stats and nodded appreciatively. "Pretty nice. Did you craft the gauntlets yourself?" The brunette was about to ask if he had crafted both of them, but thankfully remembered that he was a Blacksmith and not an Artisan.

Her mouth quirked at his introduction to the items and asked with an amused grin, "'Chuckles, the Flying Bobcat'? I wish I'd seen him before he....well became these." She held up the gauntlets with a slight laugh. "So did you just come to show these off or was there something you're after? I think I'd accept a trade, though I'd have to think of what they'd be worth in terms of potions." Piera would have offered to buy the items from him in cash if she hadn't been saving up for some full light armor herself.

"It's like watching Alexander the Great devour the Middle East," the blonde blacksmith remarked in a sort of off handed low rumble as crumbs continued to spray up all around the delighted bear. Of course, then the brunette mentioned the "b-word" and the hulking axe-wielder shifted his mind smoothly from the primary reason he had come to visit with the gifts to a secondary and still perfectly plausible sounding reason. Mack was usually prepared with fall back positions for these kinds of situations. It helped to prevent awkward silences and general feelings of unease on the part of all involved. As Piera began asking questions about the gauntlets and fang charm, Mack realized he could answer the questions and use them to segway the conversation in a different direction from the one he had originally intended. This was why you never brought flowers to someone in an MMORPG.

"Yes, I crafted the gauntlets, so they're technically heavy armor," the smith rumbled, even though the fur lined gauntlets were also amazingly light weight. It was interesting the way that the game engine worked like that. "The last time I saw Chuckles, I'd just thrown him over the side of about a thousand foot cliff. He was... unhappy." That was putting it mildly. The bobcat had yowled mightily all the way through his short flight which had been truncated, rather abruptly, at ground level at the base of the cliff. A short drop, which hadn't been the problem for Chuckles, and a sudden stop which had. As Mack finished speaking, Piera provided another off ramp to let the hulking blonde escape from the real reason he had sought her out.

"Yes, I came to offer a trade," he said, his face and storm grey eyes betraying none of the real primary reason he had showed up. A reason he was not about to mention out loud now. "A couple of basic five point health potions will work for me, my stock is getting low." The axe-man didn't bother to mention that his 'stock' of those kinds of potions had only ever been one to begin with and that he'd yet to use even that one. Piera didn't need to know that information, after all. "If you're willing to trade, we can probably work out future agreements as well."

Piera raised an eyebrow at the historical reference in conjunction to his familiar's consumption of the bread and smiled in interest before commenting, "That sounds so much better than the truth." After her comment about being tempted to take him up on the offer of his bear cub, she thought that she saw a subtle shift in Mack's expression but it was too small and quick for her to distinguish what or why

The alchemist's eyebrows would both raise even further as he affirmed that he had indeed crafted the gauntlets, making them heavy armor. "Really? Wow, they're really well made." She complimented, turning them over and running a thumb over the soft tufts of fur. "You can hardly feel the weight at all." She had forgotten that Blacksmiths could only craft weapons and heavy armor, while Tailors got the honor of light armor crafting.

As the hulking blonde man mentioned the state of Chuckles the last time he saw him, she couldn't help but chuckle herself. "I can imagine. Good thing we don't need to loot the bodies. ....because there aren't any." She concluded rather dumbly, having forgotten that for a moment before laughing in embarrassment at her blunder, her hand going up to her bangs to hide her face momentarily. "Well at least he will be remembered." The brunette finished lamely, holding up the items.

Her bashfulness dissipated as business was brought up and as he posed what he would like for the items, she was a bit surprised that that was all he wanted, but reasoned that he probably wanted quantity over quality. Nodding, Piera said, "Sounds good, let me make sure I have enough..." She turned and walked across the small room over to the counter, setting the gauntlets and trinket down, and looked over her available potions. Looking over her shoulder at the axe wielder's offer, her interest peaked. "Oh? What kind of agreements? I'm listening."

The alchemist picked up one after the other, surveying their stats and quality in turn before plucking up two bright red vials that were varying quality HP Recovery Potions. Turning, she walked up to Mack and held both potions out for him to inspect. "How about these? I only have these two but I also just crafted my first crystal, which will heal you for five points instantly." She wanted to make sure that it was a fair trade but honestly wasn't sure about what equaled what when it came to things outside of mats or col. "It's up to you. I just don't wana jip you out on anything." The brunette smiled up at the blonde man, awaiting his decision.

Name: HP Recovery Potion
ID: 27019 CD: 10
Shop: Piera's Perfect Potions
Alchemist Rank: 1
Item Rank: Uncommon
Effect: Instantly heals you for 5 HP and delay heals you another 5 HP
Description:
A glass vial filled with a bright red liquid tasting of tart strawberries. Immediately after drinking the potion, player is healed by five hit points. After a moment they are healed for an additional five points. Takes a post to drink.

Name: HP Recovery Potion
ID: 27376 CD: 8
Alchemist Rank: 1
Item Rank: Good
Effect: Heals user for 5 HP a moment after drinking
Description:
A glass vial filled with a bright red liquid tasting of tart strawberries. After a moment they are healed for a five health points. Takes a post to drink.

Name: HP Recovery Crystal
ID: 27845 CD: 10
Alchemist Rank: 2
Item Rank: Uncommon
Effect: Instantly heals you for 5 HP
Description:
A bright red rectangular crystal. Immediately after using the crystal, player is healed by five hit points.

"Whichever two you feel like parting with is fine," Mack rumbled, still easily concealing the real reason he had come in the first place. He'd rarely been in a position in the game, so far, where he really needed the healing potions and items. This was due, in no small part, to the hulking man's extreme caution in the things that he chose to engage in. Without the ability to respawn or reload from a save point in Sword Art Online, and given that an in game death would result in a real world death, there really were no other options but to regard the entire game as a military campaign and then to engage in the prosecution of that campaign with caution. Still, it never hurt to be prepared for any eventuality.

"The arrangement I had in mind was quality weapons and armor in return for potions," the beefy blonde continued, not bothering to mention that he could easily pay for his items in col as well. To this point in the game, he'd managed to get by without really having spent any of his own personal supply of col, so the axe-man had a pretty decent bank account, all things considered. "You'll also want those gauntlets, if you're going to tag along with me. Found something up on the fourth floor that's worth checkin' out, would be stupid to go alone."

Piera chewed her bottom lip as he left the decision up to her. She was going to give him the uncommon quality potion regardless but debated on whether to hand over the uncommon crystal or the good quality potion. They both essentially did the same thing, but at different time rates. The crystal was instantaneous healing that you could use in the middle of battle while the potion would take time to drink as well as restore one's health. Meeting Mack's steel colored eyes, the alchemist reasoned that he was a responsible man, had a good control of his party (when he had one) as well as himself. Counting on his tactical prowess to be able to consume the potion in the middle of battle without issue, she handed over both potions, saving the crystal for someone who might need it more. "Well then, here ya go. These should do you alright for now. At least until I get some more materials."

After handing the potions over, she put the red crystal back on the shelf and picked up the wrapped up gauntlets off the counter as she turned back to him. Tilting her head in consideration, she looked back at her rather paltry shelves. "Hmmm.....that is an extremely tempting offer." The alchemist admitted before looking back at Mack with hesitancy, "But...I can't say when I'll next have potions available for you. Added to the fact that I don't really need weapons as I'm extremely happy with my Bleeding Lance and although I am in desperate need of armor, I'm looking to invest in some light armor." The brunette's expression was apologetic as she explained. "I don't have either the Light or Heavy Armor skill, but I was planning on putting points into Light Armor once I found a decent set. With a two handed spear I can't use a shield to block with which means that I need to be as light on my feet as possible to max out my agility and get proper evasion."

She almost wished that she didn't have Bleeding Lance or that she had been planning to tank, but what's done was done. She had already talked with Lowenthal at length about her 'build' and what sort of stats, skills and items she would need. Sighing, she lamented, "I really wish Light Armor wasn't Tailor exclusive." Here was a perfectly willing and able shop keep that would trade her for valuable goods and she couldn't even take fully advantage of it! Stupid Kayaba Akihiko. Who made light metal armor a Tailor only craft?? Piera was distracted though as Mack mentioned that she would want the gauntlets to accompany him on floor four. Perking up, the young woman teased, "Well not at your level it wouldn't be stupid. Plus who would want to mess with you? Heh." Her blatant curiosity showed though as she asked, "What'd you find though?"

Mack accepted the potions from Piera and added them to his own inventory. Surely the items would come in useful. Eventually. Maybe. Still, he would have preferred to have something set up to where he could trade items for potions when he wanted. There was another option that occurred to him, but the blonde brute wasn't quite sure he wanted to make the offer. Finally, he reasoned that it would be small and petty of him to not voice his opinion, so he spoke the second idea aloud.

"I assume your boyfriend is helping you run the shop," Mack said, trying and mostly succeeding at keeping a hard edge out of his voice. "I can trade you armor and items for him in exchange for potions, if you don't have them at the time of trade I'm fine with an I.O.U.," the blacksmith continued in a gruff tone. "But, if you're going two handed weapon, then you need heavy armor because you don't get the added protection of a shield," he continued, in a slightly argumentative tone. Who on earth would have told the brunette to go with light armor? That was just plain stupid, as far as the axe-man was concerned.

"Plenty of mobs, and some players too, want to mess with me. Chihuahua Syndrome," the blonde man continued, referencing the small yapping dogs with a propensity for biting off more than they could chew and assuming that the analogy would be fairly simple to understand. "And, I found a cave system up there. Not the high level caves mentioned in the guidebook, something else. Probably not anything that others haven't already found though. Still, should be good for mat gathering, if nothing else." Where was this boyfriend of Piera's to help with the mat gathering? Probably off doing his own thing instead of helping. Worthless.

As Mack accepted the potions, she made a quick note in her shop's menu to say that she accepted items as trade for the potions, listing their names before depositing said items into her own personal inventory. She considered equipping the items but reasoned that she was just around the shop so there was no reason to. As she closed her menu, the alchemist caught an odd tension in the blonde's face and wondered what he was thinking about before he posted an alternative idea, catching her off guard. "Y-Yes..." She replied in surprise, wondering how he had guessed. Her eyebrows rose high above the rims of her glasses at his proposal, not expecting him to offer the same deal to someone that he didn't even know. "I, you- Well yes! I mean if you're fine with that, of course I'd be willing." She was excited but also a bit hesitant in the back of her mind, wondering if there was a reason for the particular gruffness for his tone or if that was simply his voice. Was he just offering the deal to be polite or did he truly wish to trade? But she reasoned that perhaps he just wanted to be able to get potions no matter who got his wares. That made a reasonable amount of sense.

At his retort of her needing heavy armor more than light because she didn't have the bonus of wielding a shield, she raised her hands in a gesture that said, 'that's neither here nor there' before stating verbally, "You're right in that I do need protection which is why I'm trying as hard as I can to get mats so i can make potions to get more money to buy said armor. But with my fighting style, I rely on being quick on my feet. I prefer to dodge the hits altogether rather than tank them out. My ideal armor would be plus two evasion and plus one damage mitigation. Usually when partying there's someone else to tank for me so I they can draw aggro while I jump in and whittle them down while staying out of the way. And when out on my own, I make sure not to take on more than I can chew." She shrugged, hoping that her explanation would calm the authoritative man somewhat.

When Mack gave a name to the pitiful mobs and players that wanted to fight him, she snorted, her hand flying to her mouth as if she could hold it in before she burst out laughing at the hilarious mental image of a chihuahua yipping 'ferociously' at the blonde man's ankle, attempting to gnaw his boots with its tiny teeth. "HAHAhahaaha! Ohhh! Oh god. Hehehe." If her avatar had ribs, she was sure that they would be hurting her right now. Not able to wipe the silly grin off of her face, she simply listened as he explained about the cave that he had found that was actually a system of caves that he thought might be good for gathering crafting materials. Her wide grin straightened into a hopeful smile as she replied, "That would be...unbelievably helpful actually. I've had the worst luck with mat gathering so far. I've been surviving on the ones I found when I did my 'Earning a Living' quest."

"If you have heavy armor and can tank for yourself then you don't have to rely on others," Mack said simply, frowning. Others like your apparently good for nothing boyfriend who's out doing his own thing instead of helping to gather mats and helping you to level up. The big blacksmith crossed his arms over his chest. He was starting to like this so-called 'boyfriend' of Piera's less and less. And he hadn't even met the guy. Of course, there were probably ulterior reasons that were playing a big part in the gigantic warrior's less than rosy opinion of the guy. But, that was neither here nor there.

"I can tank," Mack added, once Piera had gotten over her fit of giggles at the mention of 'Chihuahua Syndrome'. "You also might not be back before dark, is that going to worry your boyfriend," Mack asked, raising an eyebrow. He doubted it would, after all, the guy was nowhere to be found so how much could he possibly care. Still, he didn't want the guy to come following after them, after all Mack would hate to have to embarrass him in front of Piera. Or would he?

"When do you want to leave? I can send the fur ball back down to my shop on the first level. He knows the way and he'll go right to his bed and lay down. The cave complex would be no place for him to go. Plus, I stashed jerky all over the shop, he'll amuse himself for days trying to find it all," Mack said, pulling up his inventory and absentmindedly scrolling through the various items at his disposal. "It'll take several hours to walk to where we need to go from Snowfrost Town," the smith continued, neglecting to mention that by "hours" he meant close to half a day and by "not home before dark" he meant something closer to not home tonight. 

That was why he had to check his inventory, to make sure he had enough camping gear for two people. Always go prepared.

Piera let out a sigh at Mack's insistence on the subject of her wearing heavy versus light armor. "Perhaps, but at the sacrifice of a build that I've already put skills, items and stat points into. Plus, I'm not a solo player or a clearer." She smiled hesitantly up at him, hoping that he would understand that she wasn't trying to argue with him. "I'm just me. I'm used to a support role and while I know I can't do that as much in SAO, I found a play style that I'm comfortable with. But...if it'll make you feel better, I'll try wearing heavy armor." The brunette finally gave in slightly before raising a finger in warning. "But only for a bit. Until I decide which I prefer and finally put a skill into one of them."

As Mack offered his role as tank for their material gathering excursion, she smiled, her eyes dancing in amusement behind her oval glasses. "I should hope so. You certainly look impressive enough when you're all geared up. Though I have to admit, I wouldn't have thought that your armor was heavy armor." As he mentioned that they weren't likely to be back before dark, she frowned slightly, thinking for a moment. "It'll be fine. I just need to send a PM so he won't worry."

When posed with the question of when she wanted to leave, the alchemist shrugged, not realizing the decision had been up to her. "Whenever is good for you." Hearing his explanation of not needing to drop off his familiar, she smiled down at Chewie, who was snuffling up at her, thankfully unable to understand all of what was being said as she chuckled at the poor bear cub's cluelessness. At least he'd have plenty of snacks and occupation when he got home to keep his mind off of his absent owner. At the news that it would take several hours to their destination, the brunette's eyes widened slightly before she replied, "Well in that case, we better get a move on, huh?"

She brought up two fingers to swipe at the air in front of her, pulling up her menu as she typed out a quick message to Lee explaining where she was going, who with and when she thought she'd be back. Then she equipped the items that she had recently acquired, her hands gripping to test out the flex of the hard leather and fur before glancing down at her chest to see the fang hanging from her neck. Her final act was to send a friend request to Mack, followed by a party invite, which if both were accepted, would show not only Piera's location, stats and health bar but Lee's as well. His health bar was currently slightly chipped away, grinding mobs.

Finally Piera walked over to the door and switched the sign back to 'closed' before looking back at Mack with a subtly excited smile. "Whenever you're ready." Inviting him to lead the way.

Mack watched as first one, and then another, window popped up in front of him. Almost lazily, he reached out with his right index finger and tapped the 'accept' option on each, adding Piera to his party and then to his very impressively long list of friends within Sword Art Online. Counting the addition of the brunette, he had three. Compared to his normal list of friends in the world of MMORPG games, usually zero, three was a major accomplishment for the blonde man. The axe-man stood quietly as Piera readied herself to go, not feeling any particular need to avert his eyes or anything since it wasn't as if any kind of indecency was required to change out armor in the world of SAO, unlike the time and effort it would take to armor up in the real world.

While Piera was turning the sign on her shop to closed the axe-wielding blonde took a moment to check out the stats on Lee. He could only assume that this Lee was the aforementioned boyfriend. He was only a level nine. How could that be even remotely possible? Apparently, it was Piera that wore the pants in their relationship. It was so nice of her to allow this Lee character to go out on his own. Still, Mack wasn't nearly stupid enough to vocalize those thoughts. As the closed sign clacked on the door, Mack put two fingers in his mouth and gave a sharp whistle. Chewie looked up and came bounding over and out the door as Mack held it open. The bear then led the way back to the portal pavilion before sitting back on his haunches to see what was going to happen next.

"You are to go back to the shop," Mack said, wagging a finger at the bear and then grabbing it by the scruff of the neck. "You're not to stop to beg or get distracted. I've hidden food all over the shop, see if you can find it," he continued, lifting the bear up to head height so he could peer into the cub's chocolate brown eyes with his own grey ones. "Off you go," he said, then Mack tossed the cub underhanded through the portal so that when Chewie came out back on the first floor he'd be able to hit the ground running to scamper back to the smithy. That took care of that problem.

"Alright, and we're off to the fourth floor now," he said in a low rumble. With that he disappeared into the teleportation portal to head up Snowfrost Town, still not wearing his armor and only his beginning clothing. A few seconds later he emerged from the portal in Snowfrost town and turned around to wait for Piera to pop out, crossing his arms over his chest and giving no impression at all that he thought it was cold as a gentle snowfall fell from sky to earth all around, gently blanketing everything in a white powder.

Piera held the door open for Mack and his familiar, wincing slightly at the sharp whistle that drew Chewie's attention and caused him to lope out of her shop, which she then closed. Watching the blonde man order the bear cub roughly, holding him up easily at eye height to drive the orders home into the familiar before he literally tossed him through the portal. The brunette chuckled a bit worriedly as she voiced, "He'll be alright on his own, right?" She was fairly sure that he wouldn't have sent off the cub on his own if he wasn't sure of his capabilities. How much trouble could one little bear cub get into? ...Right?

Nodding as the blonde declared their departure, the alchemist walked behind him before freezing just after he had disappeared through. "Frick, I forgot to lock up." She chided herself before whirling around and running back up to her shop, making sure that it was locked so no one could just go in and snoop around or take anything. Sprinting back, the brunette ran through the portal and the next thing she knew she was running into a brown cloth covered rock. "Oof." She grunted softly, her eyes squinting closed before she looked up at what she had hit before her eyebrows disappeared into her hairline momentarily. "Ah! S-Sorry about that..." Piera apologized, taking a few steps back just short of going through the portal yet again. "Shouldn't have been running through, heh." The alchemist smiled to try and cover her minor embarrassment, playing with the fringe of her bangs. Then a snowflake floated in front of her and she noted their snowy surroundings. Even though this was the second (or was it third?) time coming to this floor, she always forgot its snowy and cold atmosphere. "So where to?" Piera prompted, her warm breath fogging the frigid air slightly.

Mack had disappeared through the portal before having a chance to answer Piera's question leaving him standing on the other side of the portal, on the fourth floor, waiting for her. It certainly was taking her long enough to get through the portal. It should have been a simple step on through and off they would go. So, where was she? Rather abruptly the question was answered as Piera came flying through the portal, right down the pavilion's steps in a single leap, and careening into him. Luckily, for her anyway, the rather enormous blacksmith had not yet changed his garb out in favor of his armor. Instinctively, the blonde bear of a man wrapped his arms around Piera to steady her and, just as quickly, he then released his grip. After all, Piera had a boyfriend.

"No need to apologize, and Chewie will be fine," Mack replied, answering the question that had been posed earlier. The bear was smart enough not to leave the confines of the City of Beginnings and, besides, with so many people with scads of food for him to mooch off of, why would he want to? "We need to head out to the northeast," the axe-man continued, pointing towards the mountain peaks that could be seen in the distance with his left hand while pulling up his inventory and activating the Angelic Sheath with his right. Given that the armor was predominantly white, with some black highlights and ornamentation thrown in, it would blend in quite well in the snowy environment as the snow flakes continued to fall all around them. Suddenly, the heavy white armor appeared around Mack, encasing the smith in its supple protective layers.

"Here, you'll want this too," he rumbled, reaching up to his throat and unclasping the catch that held the hooded cape attached to the armor. He tossed the cape, and the face mask, that were a part of the armor to Piera. She didn't look to have much in the way of winter clothing, so the added layers would help. Mack then reached down into his neckline and pulled a jet black balaclava up over his nose and mouth before producing a similarly black winter cap and pulling it on over his head. The addition of the hooded cloak to Piera's outfit would have the added benefit of helping her to blend in to the snowy environment while the splash of black fabric would also make Mack easier for her to spot. Unslinging his axe from his back, the hulking smith began to make his way in the direction of the carved gate of ice that marked the boundary of Snowfrost Town.

Piera was glad that Mack had caught her, she wasn't sure if she could've caused any real damage to either herself or him, but better safe than sorry. It was then that she realized just how enormous his hands were as they steadied her shoulders before releasing as she backed up. She smiled faintly before nodding as he denied her apology and assured her that his familiar would be alright. As several snowflakes fell onto her avatar, the brunette shivered slightly, the armor and starting clothes she had equipped doing hardly anything to keep up her temperature. "Hopefully he won't make too much of a mess of your sh-shop." Her teeth chattering slightly on the last word before she crossed her arms over her chest in an attempt to hide the fact that she was hugging herself in an automatic gesture to keep warm, though it wouldn't help any unlike in the real world.

Simply nodding silently, the young woman looked up to where the blonde man was pointing, eyeing the mountain peaks in the distance before doing a double take. "That looks p-pretty far." It was more a statement, though as she vocalized it she realized that it might have sound like a complaint so she hurried to add, "It really is like an adventure! I keep forgetting how much I looked forward to playing this game." As she looked away from their far placed destination back at Mack, she saw him equip on his white armor and hooded cloak that she had seen before and as she looked over his almost entirely white ensemble, a frown pulled at her mouth as she realized how easy it would be to possibly lose him in the snowy area. Just as she was about to speak, the axe wielder somehow separated the hooded cloak from his armor before tossing it to her.

Catching it ungracefully, Piera stuttered in surprise, "A-Are you sure you don't need this?" But even as she asked, he was already pulling up black fabric over his nose and mouth before putting on a warm looking black hat. "Ah, heh. Thank you."  The alchemist wrapped the white cloak around her shoulders before pulling the hood up and face mask up over her nose. She immediately noticed a lack of cold, if not an overabundance of warmth.

Seeing Mack pull out his weapon, she swiped open her menu to do the same, her Bleeding Lance materializing in her hand. Leaning the black shaft against her shoulder, Piera set to walking, attempting to meet her companion's pace as they exited the safe zone. Now that they set to walking, she began to feel the silence of the white powdered floor. The snow made it that much quieter, muffling their footsteps but for the softest of crunches as they made their trek. Idly chewing on the inside of her cheek, the brunette glanced at the hulking man as she thought, not entirely sure what they could talk about.

ID: 28287
BD: 7 (6+1)
MD: 8
Mack: 39/40 (-3 Dam., 2 Mit.) - Hate: 1
Piera: 27/27
Ice Troll: 24/30 (-6 Dam.)

As Piera asked if Mack was going to need the hooded cloak that was part of the Angelic Sheath the burly blacksmith turned to regard the brunette over his shoulder with storm grey eyes that peered out at her over the protection offered by the balaclava and from beneath the winter cap. "I'll be fine," he replied in a somewhat gruff tone, though his voice may only have sounded that way because it was being muffled by the balaclava. As the pair of them passed through the gates of the town Mack looked up at the sun and did some quick mental guess work concerning how much longer the sunlight would last. From the looks of things, they weren't going to be able to make it all the way to the cave system in the mountains tonight, but that was just fine with Mack. He'd come prepared for everything, after all.

"So, who is this bo...," he began to ask, turning again to regard Piera over his shoulder when he caught a flash of white and grey through the trees. In less than the space of an eye blink several things happened. An ice troll lunged out from between the trees with a massive club in its hand, clearly aiming a blow for Piera's back. As the creature made its appearance the hulking warrior pivoted on his heel and took a lunging step back towards Piera. Wrapping a hand in the front of her clothing, and not being particularly careful about where he was grabbing he yanked the spearwoman roughly forward and to the side as he raised his right arm to deflect the blow from the troll's club as the creature swung.

"Get down," he growled at Piera, releasing her nearly as quickly as he had grabbed her in the first place, as the blow from the club slammed into his arm. Bringing his now free left hand back onto the haft of Guillotine he spun the weapon deftly and struck the troll in the head right between the eyes before reversing his grip and slamming the heavy steel head of the weapon into the creature's ribs with a wet squelching noise before ripping it free. "Get behind it and go for the backstab!"

Piera glanced back at Mack as she heard him begin to ask her a question and thus she didn't hear, see or notice the monster's presence behind her. Her focus was entirely on her blonde companion as she noticed his eyes expression change, though she couldn't quite tell what it meant until he suddenly reached forward and grabbed the front of the white cloak she was wearing before pulling her forward forcefully, nearly snapping the leather string of the Fang Charm he had given her. Her mouth opened in a surprised cry, immediately wondering why he had done such a thing when she heard metal ringing on metal just before he ordered her to get down.

That wasn't a problem as his strong tug had sent her sprawling on her stomach, the white cloak almost blending in with the snow entirely until she started moving, scrambling to get to her feet and look at what was apparently attacking them. Seeing the sizeable troll that was beating down against Mack's Guillotine, the alchemist realized that he had just saved her from a world of hurt. Wincing at the brutal attack her companion unleashed, she nodded curtly at his command. "O-Okay!" 

The brunette hurried to get behind the troll, readying her spear in both hands before darting forward to back-stab the beast. However she hadn't been taking the snow into account and just as she was releasing her spear skill, stumbled in the powdery substance, stabbing the thin air between the troll's legs as she almost fell onto her face yet again. Thankfully though she was able to steady herself, kneeling slightly as she cursed inside her head at the missed opportunity.

ID: 28288
BD: 2+1Acc=3 (miss)
Mack: 39/40 - Hate: 1
Ice Troll: 24/30

ID: 28307
BD: 9 (8+1)
MD: 9
Mack: 37/40 (-2 Dam., Mit. 2) Hate: 3
Ice Troll: 13/30 (-11 Dam.[-7 Axe, -2 Thorns, -2 Thorns]) - Forgot to add in the thorn damage from the troll's first strike that hit Mack.

Occupied, as he was, with the Ice Troll Mack didn't really bother to spare a storm could grey glance in Piera's direction. He assumed that the woman was already up and moving to circle around the massive beast, which was easily the size of the axe-man and then some, while the white clad warrior focused on keeping the beast's attention. He suppressed a groan when Piera's footing betrayed her and she missed in her first attempt to lodge her spear in the dead center of the troll's back. Instead the point of the weapon zipped between the troll's legs and nearly managed to catch Mack in one of the knees before he shifted his footing to avoid it. Wisely, he chose to ignore it.

However, even an oafish ice troll will notice when the tip of a spear when it shoots out from between their legs. With a stupid sort of grunt, the beast started to turn to face Piera behind it. With a growling battle cry, Mack swung Guillotine with all his force into the side of the troll's head snapping it violently around and knocking several teeth flying. Suddenly, the magical leg spear didn't seem so important to the troll. It bellowed and swung its club across its body. The heavy wooden cudgel caught the burly axe-man in the chest and blasted him backwards through the air several feet before he crashed down in the snow with the troll in hot pursuit.