«Earning a Living» [SP-F1] The Closest Thing to Magic (Complete!)

*Out of Combat Regen: 12/13 -> 13/13*

After a moment of catching his breath, Emerath sat up, and then found a way to his feet. He tried again to brush the dirt off of himself, but it didn't do much. He sighed and looked over at the city. It was in viewing distance once again, at least, so it wouldn't be that much of a walk back. He had found, what, two materials? He hoped that would be enough.

Emerath quickly made a sorry attempt at covering up his hole. He pushed the dirt back in, and tried to tamp it down with his foot, but honestly that just made it more obvious that he had dug up the hole. But then Emerath imagined some other player stumbling across it and thinking that buried treasure was there, and laughed at their future misfortune for digging a useless hole. After he was done laughing at something that may never even happen, Emerath made his way back towards the city.

It wasn't too long before Emerath was amongst the hustle and bustle of the players and NPCs milling about the city. He looked around to see if anyone was particularly judging him for his downtrodden and dirt stained appearance, but in all honesty nobody seemed to notice or care. He must be a regular sight, what with all the adventurers who go out exploring and come back filthy from their adventures. Emerath still didn't like it. Once all this profession business was done he would happily find an inn to take a bath.

After another decent chunk of time, Emerath made his way to the Alchemist's shop that he had started in. It was a good thing he had marked it on his map. This city was certainly confusing! The sun was starting to go down as well, and so the place seemed more packed than earlier, with more people clamoring to do some last minute, late night crafting. Emerath just shrugged, and pushed his way to the NPC. An adventurer was finishing a conversation with her, and so Emerath let him finish, but made sure he was next in line to talk.

Emerath was beginning to get impatient. This adventurer was worse than your usual newbie. They were asking for all the intricacies of the craft and more. To the point that the NPC's script seemed to run out, and the older helpful lady simply began to start saying, "I'm sorry, I don't really understand." and "I think you'll have to come back later." Finally, after a few more incessant questions, the adventurer seemed to take the hint and shuffled on begrudgingly. Emerath mumbled under his breath and made his way up to the counter with a smile.

Emerath placed the boar's tusk and the boar's blood on the counter and looked to the NPC for approval, stating, "I found some crafting materials. Will you teach me how to craft now?" The NPC looked at the items, and then appraised Emerath's appearance. "You certainly look like you've had an exciting day out there. Yes, I do believe you might be ready to learn the trade. Please go into the room behind me where there are some starter alchemy sets. Please keep in mind, these are just for practice so you can learn the basics. Please do not break or steal any of the pieces, as you will be penalized for unfair play."

Emerath gave a bit of a scowl, but he supposed it was to be expected. He gave a bow and a thank you to the NPC and made his way past the curtains into the back room.

As Emerath made his way into the back room, he wasn't entirely surprised to find that there were other adventurers toying around with what looked like children's chemistry sets. There were a lot of bottles containing different colors of liquids. Some stuff to add into each bottle, and different settings for fires and things like that. Emerath felt like a boy again as he started to turn this knob to light that fire and make this potion turn blue. He poured one bottle into another to make a brown concoction that looked horrible, but smelled nice. He threw some dust into one bottle and it began to bubble violently.

The other adventurers didn't seem to be as into this toy as he was. They probably saw it as some useless gadget that just kept them from being crafters, but didn't they know that to be a master you had to start with the basics? Emerath kept that in mind as he continued to play with the toy set for well into the evening, as the remaining adventurers shuffled off.

Emerath was so engrossed in the chemistry set that he hadn't even noticed the NPC come into the room behind him. She gave a small, "Ahem!" and Emerath turned with a start, his glasses drooping down his nose a bit as he tried to keep his latest experiment from tumbling to the floor. The NPC smiled at him warmly, "Everyone else is gone, dear. It's time to close up shop. I think, given your large amount of interest, you are ready to become an actual alchemist. I look forward to visiting your shop someday!"

Emerath was a bit confused, but then he understood. "You mean, I passed the quest?" The NPC gave a nod, and then said, "Now please, be a dear and head home so that I can get some rest. Tomorrow will be another busy day!" Emerath quickly apologized and bowed to the lady, being sure to leave the bottle of his latest experiment on the table so he didn't suffer any kind of repercussions.

As Emerath made his way out into the chilly evening air, he smiled despite himself as he looked for the nearest inn. I'm an alchemist!

Thread Complete!

Total Rewards and Loot:

• 460 Col
  • 2 Crafting Materials
  • Title: Beginner Alchemist
  • 2 SP (1 Thread + 1 Quest)
Edited by Emerath