[OP-F1] The Return of a Coward (All slots filled)

It had been... a long time. 

Oske had dropped off the face of Aincrad. Her friend abandoned her, and she felt so alone that she decided to close herself off from the world. Those friends had seen her grown and mature, then they disappeared. They left her. But it was over now. With a shaky hand, the teleportation crystal disappeared after she called the name of the familiar city—Town of Beginnings.

Oske had a plan. She wanted to open herself up again—perhaps make new friends. Her heart had been broken and stomped out, but she knew it was time to mend it together again. She couldn’t do that alone… then again, she needed to think about other things, too.

She had gotten awful rusty with battling. It had been a long time since she fought something. She wanted something easy to fight, but something that at least could give her some mats or Col. With her battle gear equipped, she stepped out of Starting City and onto the grass. Boars grazed on the grass, their silhouettes standing out like a black blob on the reddening sky in the background.

It was all so familiar. She remembered the days, fighting with her friends by her side. Tyger… Baldur… Ren… Daeron… Hell, even Rage. There were so many friends that were gone now. Oske’s legs felt weak, and even though she promised not to break again, she found herself stumbling. “No, no…” she whimpered. 

Edited by Oske

I was out among the plains of e first floor, reminiscing in the wonderful sights of the first floor. It had been a pretty uneventful day so far. I was bored out of my mind in my shop, which still needed repairs. After the boredom chased me to the plains, i spent most of the day just sitting and watching people pass by. There had been so many. Some were people who were completely new to Aincrad and fumbled with there weapons as they fought the boars. Others were experienced fighters who were either just fighting mobs to rebuild self-conscious in themselves or they were just passing through to get to another destination, perhaps a dungeon. But, there was one player in particular that caught my eye. She was probably the highest level player I had ever seen. Her armor was some of the most advanced that i had seen and her weapon looked as sharp as could be. But, there was something about her that just didn't fit. The way she stumbled as she walked, like one who was fairly new to this experience or was grief stricken, but certainly not the way a person of her caliber would walk. I tried to look around the plains to find another player, but curiosity kept on bringing me back to her. Along with that curiosity were questions. "Who was she, how did she obtain such armor." But the most prevalent question was "What had happened to this veteran. I kept my position for now. This could be a trap, to lure people to there slaughter. I just did what i did best, observed...     

I laid with my back against the tree, on a branch just high enough where I would either require assistance getting down or have to jump alone. This floor was either extremely busy with people or in rare cases...quiet, and right now was one of those times. I took times like to for granted, seeing as though I didn't have much time outside of guild activities to just sit somewhere and think. A tree was the best place for me to do it. You could be on the ground or in the air. One the ground you could sleep or play with the grass. In the air or in a branch you could sleep as well but you could also look at the Town of Beginnings or just look for random things among the horizon. One of my favorite things to do was to scare players while they were walking by. And before just happened to be a young woman, literally stumbling towards me. In the back of my mind I thought of her situation, maybe she was injured or something? Lost her way? Those concerning thoughts quickly diminished. My eyes glazed with mischief, I climbed slowly to the center of the branch and sat normally, waiting until she was in the correct spot. I watched her closely until finally she was almost directly under me. I released my grip on the branch and fell backwards. Of course I wouldn't just let myself fall like an idiot, I did a spin in the air so I would land on my feet in front of her. I raised both hands to my face and leaned forward. "...boo." I said with a smirk making itself present on my pale face.  

Oske’s face filled with dread as someone landed in front of her, and in a flash, she had her sword drawn and pointed at the player. However, she looked up to see a smile on the woman’s face, and she was clearly friendly. Oske lowered her sword, tears streaming down her face as she sheathed it.

“S-sorry,” she sniffled, wiping her cheeks in attempts to hide her sadness. “I thought you were going to hurt me.” Her legs were still shaking, and she tried to straighten her stance. "I-It's been a long time since I've seen.... anyone, to be honest."

Oske didn't want to think about it, but she hadn't left the inn room she was staying in for months. This was her first time seeing sunlight again.

"Don't just stand there with your eyes stuck, Abalasster. They're women, not piranhas," Mack rumbled, seemingly appearing from nowhere behind his silver-haired Guildmate. "Looks like something serious is going on, and judging by the level of those two players this is a good chance to make a positive impression on members of the assault teams on the front lines. Let's go," the hulking blonde man continued in the same low tone so that only Abalasster would hear. Clapping a firm hand on his fellow councilman's shoulder, Mack gave the swordsman a nudge and then started in the direction of the two women. Even though one had her weapon drawn, it was fairly clear that there was nothing to worry about in terms of combat.

"Afternoon, Miss," Mack said by way of greeting, trusting that Abalasster would be right behind him though he didn't bother to shoot his grey eyes over his shoulder to check and see. "You seem to be in a bit of distress, anything I can do to help? Mack, Grandmaster of the Crimson Blades," he continued, offering a hand to Oske and nodding a greeting to Kiru, neither of whom he had yet met.

I continued my examination of the warrior. She had made her way over to a tree and another player had appeared from that tree. It must have startled her because she drew her sword. Before I could see where the situation would go, a familiar voice came from behind.It was that of Mack. He had suggested that we check out the situation. I got up and shrugged my shoulders. I might as well involve myself. I followed Mack. He introduced himself but i kept quiet. I found that t wasn't really my place to speak. The warrior sheathed her sword and i began to see tears on her face. "What has she been through" i thought. "Was it within the game or was she longing to get out? This place is paradise for some and hell for others. Had she lost someone? Most of everyone in this game has. I just can't help but think back to Lindow. I knew him very briefly but he was the first person that i had come in contact with that had actually died.Whatever she had been through, it must have been tragic...  

I had had a long day out on the fields. I had about run the first floor dry in terms of what I could get out of it so I spend one last good day grinding and collecting. I figured that I had done all I needed to and decided to head back to town. But then I remembered that I had an appointment to make with an acquaintance of mine. Increasing my speed from an idle stroll to I fast run, I took off. Making my way back to the plains, I ran up the nearest hill that could take me on a straight shot back to town. I chose the wrong hill. Because of its height I couldn't see what lie beyond aside from a large tree. As I bounded up the incline I was not happy with I saw. By the time I was able to stop myself I was a mere few feet away from a gathering of players, from Mack. Distain instantly filled my body as soon as I saw him. When my initial reaction calmed down I took in the other players. One of them was Abalasster, at least he was there as well, and the others were two girls I had never seen. And two girls who looked way more powerful than me and the other guys. I definitely didn't want to leave a bad impression with high level clearers just like that. But that thought came after I placed my hands on my knees and huffed and puffed to catch my breathe. I mumbled to myself "Just my lucky day" as I stood back up. I closed the final few feet between us and spoke to the players. "Sorry I didn't see you here. Hey, Abalasster." I had no idea what kind of "treat" Mack would have for me. 

Edited by Koumori

Almost immediately after scaring her she pulled her sword on me. I didn't flinch at all as the blade was pointed towards me. I was not only cocky about my level but I had been in this situation many times before. Not that I liked admitting it, but some people felt the need to challenge me. But this wasn't the case, she was either truly scared of my little prank or it was a reflex. I took a step back and crossed my arms over my chest. As the woman sheathed her sword, the tears staining her face became present and more than obvious. I frowned. If she had bumped into me a couple of months ago I wouldn't have cared less if she was scared, I would have just moved onward with my life in this game. However, now I was a little more sympathetic towards others. "Well. If you had an orange cursor above you when you almost attacked me I wouldn't have any doubt that I would hurt you. It's my job after all." I stated, shrugging and smiling just the slightest. These days I was worked hard not to scowl at every single person near me. Besides, Keith said I looked better with a smile. "It's been a long time since I've talked to someone as well. the only people I have been in contact with recently are my guild mates. A red haired guy that worries a bit too much about everyone and a blonde that is too narcissistic for his own good. But they're good people really. They help me out a lot. And right now I guess you need assistance as well?" I asked, tilting my head to the side slightly. I didn't like wasting my time with other people but somehow she reminded me slightly of myself. 

To my right, two players entered the scene. The blonde automatically went to the woman before me and began to speak with her, merely nodding to me as a greeting. My eye twitched slightly. The one time I choose to help someone another person just has to help too. Not that helping her was bad but something about his presence ticked me off so much. I glared at him for a moment before diverting my eyes to the other players coming this way and the one standing behind Mack. "Great." I thought and sighed inwardly. 

Edited by Kiru

Oske sniffed again and rubbed her eyes. She ignored the handshake that was offered to her—what if he was trying to trick her? Would he pull her down and stab her in the chest? She felt that she couldn’t trust anyone. The female player spoke to her, and she looked at her level… she was nearly twenty levels higher than Oske. Oske let out a long sigh.

“I’m sorry. I’m a mess sometimes,” Oske laughed slightly, beating herself up. “I’m an idiot who basically depends on other people to take care of me like I’m a small child. To think, I have a ‘daughter’ of my own. I’m a truly pathetic, worthless sack of crap.”

Oske’s eyes darkened as she spoke. “Why am I even worth talking to? Why does anyone even care? You’ll all leave like the others did.”

"What do you mean, like the others did" i inquired. She had gone on speaking about how she was a useless piece of nothing. "Miss, if i may introduce myself, my name is Abalasster. I'm sorry for whatever has happened to you in your past, but that is the past. We should live in the present. Also, don't crucify yourself. Its not beneficial to you or us. I am sorry if i am sounding rude or a bit detached. You may say that i have no clue what you have been through and you are right, i don't know what has happened to you. But, you need to be strong, especially in a situation like this" I stopped talking and listened to the barrage of comments that i might get. I took a pretty big leap and i better be ready to fall. That was when i heard another familiar voice come from behind. It was Koumori. "Ah, Koumori" I said. "Aincrad treating you well?" Being surrounded by both people i wasn't familiar with and people i knew extensively made me feel in a good place...  

Edited by Abalasster

As I approached it seemed like I was catching the tail end of a conversation. The brown haired girl seemed to be in the middle of an episode of self loathing. I walked up as Abalasster tried to console her, awkwardly I might add. Still out of breathe, I rested my arm on his shoulder and spoke to him. "Yeah, but if I had asthma I'd be done for." I then turned my attention back to the girl. With a smile I tried to reassure her too. "Abalasster's right. The past can't be changed so why dwell on it? If you find the right people they won't leave you, that's what friends are for after all. But..I can't speak for your old ones. Right, I'm Koumori." My greet was directed at both of the girls, didn't want to ignore the other one. When I was done I looked over to Mack. Good idea to keep up appearances. "Hello" Maybe a little too cold there. 

Edited by Koumori

Mack shrugged his broad shoulders when Oske ignored his offered hand to shake. That was entirely her own business and, besides that, it was quite possible that she had simply missed the offer as a result of her being in some distress. Instead, he simply offered the hand to Kiru, whom he had also yet to meet. "Mack," he rumbled, offering a far simpler greeting the second time around since he doubted that the other woman needed everything repeated for her. "I see you're in the Azure Brigade, you must know Tristan. He's a good man."

As Koumori came huffing up to join the group, Mack ignored the runt. The two of them had never been on the best of terms, but when the younger player offered a greeting, however frosty it might have been, Mack was under an obligation to offer one in return. "Koumori," he grunted in reply, an equally simple and basic greeting. With the pleasantries out of the way the axe man returned his attention to Oske, focusing his storm grey eyes upon the dark haired woman once again.

"You're a level twenty-nine player," Mack said in response to Oske's words, speaking a bit gruffly. It seemed to him that this woman just needed a bit of a confidence boost, and for people to perhaps stop treating her like a child. "Your level is higher than Koumori's and Abalasster's, combined and higher than mine, that's hardly worthless. If you were worthless and lacking strength your mind would have shattered when the trap was sprung. If you're concerned about being abandoned and being alone, then why not find a guild? The Crimson Blades would be happy to have you, I imagine that the Velvet Room would be as well though I can't speak for Lowenthal. The Azure Brigade has also proven themselves to be an honorable guild, though I know very little about them beyond a few passing statements made by Tristan Delaney. If you're unhappy with your lot, be proactive in changing it."