[SP-F6] Doppelganger Hirru! <<The Gemini>> [COMPLETE]

Doppelganger Hirru!

The jungles of the sixth floor have a wondrous mystery to them.  A lone warrior is preying upon the weak and helpless.  Those that come across the warrior are challenged to a friendly duel, but soon learn that this person is requesting a death match.  The warrior is a NPC/Mob by the name of The Gemini.  It appears to the player as themselves and attacks them in their confusion.  It has been known to kill players that underestimate its power.

On this episode of Forgotten Dreams, our hunter may have met his match, literally!  The Gemini has found our Jade Hunter and was going to add him to his death count.

Will our hunter live to see another day, or will this be his end?

Find out now!

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The sixth floor of Aincrad, the Jungle Floor, as many have nicknamed it.  It truly was a rain forest with large trees that would rise high into the sky.  Ivy and vines would hang low from their branches while the treetops above would keep light from reaching the ground, except in splendid rays that settle on the beautiful patches of land.  It was here that I found myself wandering the great miracle of nature.  The musty feeling of humidity on my skin, even if it didn't always feel right, made me glad to be in on this floor.  The other two floors were too hot or cold.  This one would just have too much precipitation.

"Alright, where was this monster at?"

I had gotten some information about a monster on this floor that was attacking people.  Apparently, it could give a good skill, and I figured that I might as well go out and find this thing.  Of course, the jungle was crawling with high dmg monsters now, so I had to be careful.  Soon, I found that I couldn't find the being and sat down next to a tree to recover myself.

"Where was this monster?"

"Are you looking for the Gemini?"

A voice called out from behind me.  I quickly got up while brandishing my crimson blade, Patience, at the cloaked individual.  From the crystal atop his head, it looked like a NPC, as the others would put it.  From what it asked, it must be a quest activation for the monster, Gemini, was it?  The cloaked man waited for my response.

"Yes, I am.  Do you know where I can find it?"

"Why, yes I do, but the information won't be free."

"How much?"

"Oh!  No, money.  I would like a friendly competition.  If you win, I'll tell you where the Gemini is, and give you a rare item too!"

I thought about this for a second, as this didn't sound right, but I needed to find this 'Gemini' quickly, before the mobs of the jungle start gathering.  I agreed to his arrangement as a little window appeared to accept a duel.  It was weird, cause duels usually say what type it was, but I just accepted it anyway.  As soon as I did, I felt something was off.

"What did you do?!"

"Welcome to your death, Hirru!"

"How.. do you know my name?"

"Because..."

He threw off his cloak to show a young man in his 20's with green hair and hazel eyes.  Clad in jade light plate armor that only covered his chest and left arm.  In his right hand, he held the crimson blade that I knew all too well.  The name that appeared over his head was...

"...I am you!"

<<Gemini>>

Edited by Hirru

<<Gemini>>

HP 58 / EP 12 / Dmg 8

I found myself looking at myself, or at least a really good stunt double.  Where did that come from?  Anyway, this guy had everything that I had.  Armor, weapon, looks!  He stole my face!

"Are you just going to stand there, or do you want me to start this off?"

I was jostled out of my thoughts by me, or the other guy.. or me?

"No.. I'll begin this properly."

I said as I prepared my crimson blade, Patience.  I would need both versions of patience to defeat this guy, but it was probable to need Time too.  I needed to be sure, so I rushed at Gemini trying to score an attack on him/me.  It was weird looking at myself, with that expression on my face.  It was something that I wasn't accustom to.  As I passed by him, my blade would miss him as he chuckled.

"What's wrong?  I thought you were going to start this properly?"

His version of Patience sunk into my stomach.  My health dropped farther than my own damage would allow.  This guy wasn't a normal mob fight, this really was a field boss level mob.  Gemini looked at me before kicking me off of his blade.  I feel to the ground, but would get to my feet quickly.  This guy was a serious number that I needed to kill.

[ID = 31133]
[BD = 4] -2 EP
[MD = 6] 8 DMG -1 EP
[CD = 4] 0 heal

[Hirru = 50/58 hp // 10/12 EP]
[Gemini = 58/58 hp // 11/12 EP]

Edited by Hirru
both blades were out when I never changed blades

"You're quite strong for me to be able to do this kind of damage to you.  Are you sure you'll be fine?"

I was getting ticked off at this guy.  Not only was he using my looks and armor, but he was mocking me with it too!  I am not going to be insulted by myself, unless I say so.  I readied my weapon on my shoulder while widening my feet.  Soon, a soft glow of my blade would come up as it started propelling me forwards into a run at Gemini.  As I got to swords-reach, Patience shot out from my shoulder, carving a long arc before slashing into Gemini from his left side to right hip.  That would then shoot back up from through the right hip into the right shoulder.  Gemini would groan and it felt like I was in pain too, but that wasn't the case.  It was just psychological messaging to trick the body into thinking that I hurt myself.

"Heh.. that was pretty good.."

"I've got more where that came from!"

[ID = 31134]
[BD = 6] [Vertical Arc - 2x2x5=20 // -4 EP][EP Regen +1]
[MD = 1] Miss -2 EP [EP Regen +1]
[CD = 1] N/A

[Hirru = 50/58 hp // 7/12 EP]
[Gemini = 38/58 hp // 10/12 EP]

Edited by Hirru

The two of us ran at each other before our blades crossed each other.  The steel of the crimson blades would spark as they grind against each other.  I could feel how much more powerful this guy was than I was.  If I gave him the opportunity to use a sword art on me, I would be feeling it much more than he has mine.  I might even die today.

"No.."

"What's that?  Are you finally realizing your own mortality?  Good!"

"Huh.."

"It makes the killing that much more interesting!"

After a bit of stalling, we both pushed off each other and faced each other again.  This wasn't the best fight, but I think I can beat him.

[ID = 31157]
[BD = 4] Miss - 2 EP [EP Regen +1]
[MD = 4] Miss - 2 EP [EP Regen +1]
[CD = 9] N/A

[Hirru = 50/58 hp // 6/12 EP]
[Gemini = 38/58 hp // 9/12 EP]

Edited by Hirru

I needed to find a way to beat him, and I thought for a good minute when I remembered the item within my pouch.  I pulled out the solution from The Wasp Queen field that I gained some time ago.  It was a strange dark violet color which would glisten with the rays of light.  I uncorked to solution and was about to pour it onto Patience, but Gemini wasn't going to be patient with me.  He continued his assault on me, but I was able to jump away from him.  I applied the solution to my crimson blade and watched as it seemed to absorb the violet concoction into itself.  A crimson blade looked a bit darker than it used to be, which should have been a product of it gaining more strength.

"So, you're using poisons now?  Kind of unfair, don't you think?"

"About as fair as a copy of me being stronger than I am!"

"Fair enough.."

[ID = 31172]
[MD = 1] Miss -2 EP [EP Regen +1]
[CD = 6] N/A
<<Matriarch's Stinger>> used +1 DMG for rest of battle.

[Hirru = 50/58 hp // 7/12 EP] [EP Regen +1]
[Gemini = 38/58 hp // 8/12 EP]

Edited by Hirru

The two of us circled around each other, awaiting one of us to move first.  Our eyes would meet each other, and I could see it finally.  I could see the darkness in those eyes.  Gemini was an physical copy of myself when I accepted the duel.  Those were my eyes, and they were wanting the death of any that crossed their vision.  I wanted to..

I stopped to take a stance for a sword art.  My blade began to glow brightly with the reminiscent hum that I was used to by now.  Which was odd, because of the second hum that I heard.  Gemini was copying my exact move as we both shot forward towards each other.  Our sword made a long arc in the air before the blades collided again.  This time their power was being exuded through the light of the swords that guided their path.  Soon, the two blades would slash through and cut the other.

Jumping back, I could feel the damage taken as if it were apart of me, as a whole.

"What's the matter?  Afraid that I will destroy you with this last attack?  Don't worry.."

"..we both like to play with our food.." 

[ID = 31183]
[BD = 7] <<Sonic Leap>> 1x3x6=18 dmg // -3 EP [EP Regen +1]
[MD = 7] <<Sonic Leap>> 1x3x8=24 dmg // -3 EP [EP Regen +1]
[CD = 5] N/A

[Hirru = 26/58 hp // 5/12 EP]
[Gemini = 20/58 hp // 6/12 EP]

Edited by Hirru

"Oh, how the mighty fall.  You humans and your lack of judgement.  You take the single hope of fortune and fame, and lap at it, like a dog!"

He walked towards me as he talked.  For some reason, I felt weak and fell to one knee.  Looking at my health, it had just passed into the yellow..  I couldn't move from there as Gemini came closer to me.  A grin, that looked disgusting on my face, crept over his lips.

"Live like a dog; die like a dog!"

Gemini started another sword art in front of me.  His blade cut through me from both sides, as if there were two blades.  As he was done, there would be a small break from attack as he was stuck in place.  It was then that I would make my attack.

"You don't know me.. "

"What?"

I rose from my kneeling to get into the stance that I wanted.  Patience on my shoulder as it began to glow.

"You are not.."

My sword shot out in a long arc to his left side, cutting into his hip.

"..me!"

Twisting the wrist, I came back up through his hip up into his shoulder.  The doppelganger was pushed back before falling to the ground.  Its health drew down to the red before emptying.  I had defeated the menace, that was Gemini.  It was then, that I heard the voice.

"I..may fall, but I'm not the only killer now...!"

He would say before shattering into many brilliant pieces.  I had a weird feeling inside me, that I never felt before.  This was only of the first times that I actually faced a human based monster.  Was it a monster?  I.. don't know, but I do know that I am.. alive.  Either way, I needed to get to the next town before..anything....finds.  I felt even weirder; dizzy even.  I couldn't figure it out before I felt faint.

Darkness fell over me, as I blacked out from exhaustion.

[ID = 31184]
[BD = 9]  6+1=7 <<Vertical Arc>> 2x2x7=28 dmg // -4 EP [EP Regen +1]
[MD = 7] <<Snake Bite>> 2x1x8=16 dmg
[CD = 12] +6 Hp
[LD = 8] Extra Skill - Concentration [Unlocked]

[Hirru = 14/58 hp // 2/12 EP] -16+6 dmg
[Gemini = -8/58 hp // 7/12 EP]

Edited by Hirru

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Hey.."

A low voice called out to me.  My eyes opened to a dark tent that was filled by several cots and gear that filled every corner.  My eyes were fairly adjusted to the dark at this time, but it was still hard to see fine detail.  All I knew was that I was in my sleeping system, which lay atop my own cot.  I was probably still wearing the green skivvy shirt that I had been wearing for a couple days now.  It wasn't like I had a choice, there aren't many laundry mats out here in the wastes of societies finest blunders.  Even now, I could feel the arid atmosphere from the opening in our tent.

"Hey, Rui!  You awake.."

The voice was coming from someone over me.  They were shoving my shoulder, trying to rouse me from my sleep, and it worked.  I guess I was needed for something, as I wouldn't have been awakened at such a late hour.  What time was it, anyway?  I thought as I checked my watch with its luminescent mode.  It was a few minutes past 0100.

"What is it?"

I grumbled to the silhouette.  Slowly, I got out of my sleeping system with my tired form.  It has been getting harder to get out of it lately.  Need to work on that more.  The person talking to me continued as I roused myself.

"It's Cpl Stuart.."

The voice said in a solemn tone.  I was much to tired to pick up on it, so I had to ask.

"What does he want?  I thought he was out on patrol."

"He was, but at 1145 last evening, his caravan was ambushed."

Edited by Hirru

I started getting out of the sleeping system as the other marine left the tent.  Rubbing the dreariness from my eyes, I start pulling my desert Marpat trousers from a pile of clothes that were beginning to stink.  What would you expect from being out in the field for months on end with a laundry service that would sometimes steal your clothes.  Yeah, I wasn't going to be apart of that chewing out session, even if I was the one that had to chew someone out!  Though, that would have to wait, as I needed to get dressed to find out what was going on with Stuart's patrol.  As I pulled them over my legs, I put my brown boot socks on before putting the boots on.  Thankfully, I made the boot blousing to last no matter how long I had them, so I didn't have to wrestle with them to stay.  Tied the boots to be easily removed, if needed, and stuffed my dog tags in my skivvy shirt.  Grabbing my desert Marpat blouse and cover, I quickly pulled the blouse on and buttoned myself up.  My cover was last, as it was well known, Marines don't leave indoors without a cover on.

Walking into the COC, I found myself in the middle of a deep conversation.  Though, by deep, I meant that there was a large debate going on.  Most of them were people that I knew.  Most were in my squad, but others were much more higher ranking, especially the officer among them.  I could pick out several things from them talking, especially key words like 'ambush', 'Stuart', and 'casualties' that would stick to my mind.

As I came into view, one of my squad mates waved me over quickly.  I walked around the sets of tables that made up the main area, each held a few computers and phones that had either green or red cords coming from them.  I understood from one of the comm guys that they were for unclassified and secret networks, or whatever they called it.  It didn't really interest me at this point.  The things that did were what was projected on a board in front of the rows of tables.  It was a map of the vicinity with several lines and numbers marked on it.  These were the routes that had been taken during the day.  One of which was highlighted, which was Cpl Stuart's route that he should have taken.

"You're awake!  Good, let's get this brief started then." 

I stood next to one of my squad mates, Corporal Valencia, as he talked to the rest of the squad.

"Around 1145 we received radio traffic from Walken Dead, that they had passed their checkpoint golf, shown here."

Valencia briefed the rest of us as he showed various locations on the projected map.  From what he was saying, Stuart's patrol had passed by checkpoint golf when they started taking fire from their left flank where a hill could easily hide a small group of men. That was before they were hit by a hidden improvised explosive device, aka IED that wasn't triggered until they could catch Stuart's marines by surprise.  That area was scouted before hand, but there wasn't anything that stood out against the bland backdrop of a desert waste land, but that was to be expected.  These days, IED's were still being developed to be more deadly while being much more covert.

"We will be heading out as support for the Explosive Ordinance Disposal team, as well as, cover Stuart's caravan while getting them out of there!  Is that understood?!"

Everyone was in agreement.  From what had happened afterwards, we had lost radio contact with them, and there wasn't an other patrol out that could converge on their location in the timeframe that they had.  If anything, they needed to get there before the EOD, and pull everyone out.  If there were any more IED's in the area, the sweepers and EOD would take care of them, but for now they had marines behind enemy lines, and they needed support from their brothers.  Turning to my fireteam, I nodded to them to get their Personal Protection Equipment (PPE) for the convoy.

After decking ourselves in ur flaks and kevlars, we prepped our M16A4s and HMMWVs (High Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicle) for combat.  Our convoy would take us straight through territory that was known for confrontations, and that was what they were probably waiting for.  However, we were itching for a fight after hearing the news that our sister squad had been attacked.

"Dragon! Dragon!  This is Fenrir One, over."

"Send it Fenrir One."

"We have just passed checkpoint golf, and will be rendezvousing with Fenrir Three, over."

"Copy your last, the EOD unit is inbound to your location as we speak, over."

"Roger, out!"

I stowed the radio in its pouch, and looked out from the porthole to my right.  We had been driving for about an hour now, and we were just getting past checkpoint golf when we heard it.  Gunfire, and plenty of it.  We placed out rifles in weapon condition one: magazine inserted, round in chamber, bolt forward, ejection port cover closed, safety on.  My breath got heavy as we got nearer to the battlefield.  We were in for more than just a bumpy ride, it would seem.

As we made the turn, it was then that we saw the carnage.  Our men were hiding behind their HMMWVs while shots were hitting them from the far hill.  When I saw this, I shouted to our machine gunner in the hot seat.

"Tangos ahead!  Give suppressive fire when ready!"

"Understood!"

The machine gunner fixed his position by rotation of some levers that adjusted the upper turrets position on the HMMWV.  As we got closer, the enemy would be more clearer to them by then, and would give a chance for our gunner to start.  Sure enough, we could catch a glimpse of movement in the hills, and our gunner started unloading 7.62 caliber rounds down range.  This was our signal as the convoy slipped in between the two, with cover fire giving us time to jump out to assist our comrades.

"Everybody out!  Left flank!"

The fire fight was terrible.  Not in the sense that we were taking too many casualties.  No.. we overwhelmed them, but they wouldn't let up.  Even when we shaved down their numbers into a handful, they were still trying to take us out.  Even when we over ran their hiding place, they continued to fight back.  We had no choice, but to stop them where they stood, before more casualties were taken.  I'm not going to detail the experience, as it was too much for even myself.  

It wasn't until we got back to Fenrir Three that we could finally see the damage taken.  Two of the vics were totaled by a hidden IED, then they lost their radio to gunfire.  The comm guys were going to have a field day about that.  Finally, our injury/casualty count.  Seven wounded with no deaths, I sighed in relief to that news.  Though, all of the injured needed a CAS evac, especially one of the more seriously injured, which I learned was Stuart.  Apparently, he kept up a brunt of the suppression while the Corpsman could patch up anyone that was hit.  

That sounded like Stuart, alright.

Calling in a wrecker and the EOD unit came as we were clearing out the mess, tagging and bagging the weapons and bodies.  You would think that it was a horrible thing to do, but we've gotten used to it.  It's a weird feeling, though.  To be used to seeing the dead is not something that a normal human being should be able to think, but we are not human anymore, by any extent.  We crossed that line a long time ago.

When we got back from the fight, it as already past 0600.  Everyone was already waking up and getting ready for their rounds, but they knew.  All of them could see us for what we did, and they didn't care.  We all knew what it was like to fight for our lives.

To take a life.

After a debriefing we were allowed to go back to our tents, but we knew better.  We had to prepare for our next patrol and gather the reserve fireteams that could take the place of the few that were injured.  Ammunition had to be counted; rations provided; HMMWVs cleaned and maintained.  Our rifles had to be cleaned and everything packed before we head out.  It wouldn't be until we were all done that we were given any time for rest.  It was nearly 1140 when we were finally done and able to get some rest, but that would only last for a few short hours as we head out at 1300.

I sat in the passenger seat of my vic with all of my gear unstrapped for better comfort, but that only made me more vulnerable if the enemy hit us.  I didn't care.  My men were tired.  I was tired.  

My eyes slowly began to droop until they were fully closed.  I let sleep take me, for however long I could...

"....ey...!"

"..."

"...hey..!"

"..."

"Hey!  Wake up!"

With a sudden shock of pain, I shot up from my sleep.  I must have overslept again?!  Groggy, I looked around from my position, but something didn't seem right.  The most striking difference to my surroundings was that I wasn't in my HMMWV, I was sitting up in a bed in a room that looked to be made from wood.  I shook my head, thinking that none of this should be right, but once I got to looking at myself, I realized where I was.  I was in the castle in the sky, Castle Aincrad.  I could tell because of the environment, my armor that I was still in, and the person that sat beside me.

"Well, look who's awake!"

My eyes began to focus more on the person before me, and as I looked could see something familiar.  Golden hair fell short over blue-ish eyes.  A nose that was not mistaken.  This was one of the first people that he truly met, someone that helped him a long time ago.  The person that started his mission in Aincrad.

"I..ig..Ignalo?"

"Long time, no see.."

A huge grin came to my face as I learned that someone of great importance to my past was still alive.  Even if they were not from my actual past.  I was glad that he was still one of the people that would survive.  It had been so long since I had fought with him against the boars and wolves of the first floor.  Though, that begs the question..

"How did you find me?  I was fairly deep into the rainforest... and then the fight with Gemini."

"Yeah, I've begun tracking people that go in its general direction.  Gemini isn't always hard, but it can get really scary, if you're not careful."

Ignalo began explaining while handing me a cup with some kind of green liquid in it.  The cup felt warm and inviting.  I brought the liquid to my lips, and drank.  It didn't taste very good, but if it could help me, then I would drink it.  If it was anything dangerous, I would have already got a danger icon with the status effect.

"Gemini is known to become more powerful with each tier of your weapon skills.  I've seen really strong people nearly get wiped from its power!"

"It's a good thing that I defeated it when I did.."

"Did you have to make it that dramatic though?"

"Probably not.."

"Anyway, how have you been doing since we last saw each other?  Last time I remember, we were in that village.

"Horunka?"

"Yeah!  What happened after that?  Did you find your friends?"

"Quite a few things have happened, since that day.."

I began to recall everything that had happened to me while in Aincrad.  My meeting with my current brothers-in-arms that soon became the Crimson Blades.  All of the people that I had met, because of my adventuring to search for the people that helped me, in the beginning.  The tragic loss of one of our own, and my reoccurring memories.  Especially the most recent one, as I felt that Ignalo could be trusted.  He seemed to understand as I explained everything that had happened.  

"It sounds like you have had your share of hardships, and I hope that it didn't turn you into anything that you are not."

"Huh..?"

"I heard what Gemini said to you, and its wrong."

"About what..?"

"You're not a killer!"

"...I know..."