[PP:F1] And so it Begins Again (Mack) COMPLETE

Mack had agreed to take Persephone back to the first floor to try out her new gear. She was all too excited, as they headed back down to where the man had found her, which meant that she was going to give that damn boar the asskicking it deserved. The young woman felt like skipping, however, the armor she wore was far too heavy and cumbersome for any such bouncing. The pair descended the fourth floor, back from the teleport devices and was now headed out the main gates of the town. Lisa was amped. There was just something about this that she knew would go better for her. Maybe it was that she actually had some protection. Or maybe it was because Mack was with her. While his armor was pretty, she figured he would do a much better job of keeping her safe. They began down the path that lead from the gates out into the field once more. This time she was ready.

Edited by Persephone

"Now, remember, start small and work your way up," Mack said in a low tone as he marched forth from the one of the main gates of the Town of Beginnings with Persephone. There was no doubt that the woman's entire demeanor had changed now that she had some proper gear. She shouldn't have any problems dealing with the various critters that were running around in the fields outside of the Town of Beginnings now. However, that didn't mean that a bit of coaching wouldn't still be of use to the brown haired warrioress. "Just because you're in a party with people that should be able to protect you, that doesn't mean you should march right up to the biggest and baddest mob in the area and smack it. The wisest thing to do is to always act as though you're on your own unless you're in a party with a very specific goal, such as a quest completion, in mind."

The young woman listened to Mack’s words intently. He began to explain how she should go about things, but when he reached the part about not walking up to the biggest thing out there and slapping it, she had to laugh. The visual of her tiny self marching up to a gigantic boar and then slapping it with her big metal gloves was absolutely amusing. Her laugher carried through the field as she held her put a hand to her face trying to get the visual from out of her head.

“Alright…no slapping bigger things… got it,” she said still chuckling, her cheeks stained pink from laughter. “I kind of wish I could get paybacks on the one that got me. Think we can find one like it?” She asked wondering if mobs like this regenerated.

"I would imagine we can find one just like it," Mack answered, once Persephone's giggle fit had died down. What had set her off to laughing like that was anyone's guess. The enormous red-headed man certainly didn't think it could have been anything that he'd said to warrant such a response. "Low level mobs like that one respawn all the time." Mack drew back the gold trimmed crimson hood of his cloak and put one massive hand to his brow to shade his eyes. "Looks like there are several likely looking targets over in the direction," he said after a moment, pointing in a direction that would let them approach the boar with the sun at their backs. "Shall we?"

Mack gave her an odd look as her fit of giggles died down. The young woman only grinned and shrugged as the man eyed her for her fit and continued alongside him. Mack pointed to some boar not too far off from where they were and Lisa nodded deciding that it was time that she gave her new weapon a try. Pulling Reaver, her new curved blade from the sheath, the young woman went in for the attack.

BD: 2     MISSED -2 Energy

MOB: 3   MISSED

Lisa’s attack fell short of the mob. Fortunately for her, the animal didn’t seem to notice as it didn’t attack.  The young woman frowned and sheepishly looked over at her companion. “No wonder I almost died... I can’t even hit ones just standing here.” She said with a sigh. If things went like this for her, she would die for certain.

Persephone   12/12     Energy    1/3

Frenzy Boar   6/6

ID: 32569
LD: 4

Mack watched as Persephone drew Reaver while he drew Invictus. The primary difference between the two of them drawing their weapons were the purposes to which those weapons were going to be put. Taking the steel butt cap of his bearded axe, Mack began to probe about in the dirt searching for any crafting materials that might be lurking just below the surface within easy reach if only they were found. Unfortunately, for the time being, he found nothing. Persephone, meanwhile, had readied herself and charged off towards one of the boars. "It just takes time and practice, that's all," Mack called to the woman. "But, you could also consider adding a few items to boost your accuracy. That would make things easier."

Lisa frowned. That must have been the problem. She had no accuracy! That explained so much considered she couldn’t hit anything because she was swinging so wildly. It also didn’t help that everything was so heavy. “Are all weapons and armor this…heavy?” she asked Mack with a sigh. She already knew the answer though… she had seen it in the movie “Thirteen Warriors” when one of the little Vikings told Antonio  to “grow stronger”. Indeed, she figured Mack would tell her something similar. The only way to grow stronger was to fight, so Lisa tried to attack once more.

BD: 9   +1 CRIT  -1 Energy   PARALYSIS ACTIVATED     Persephone hits Frenzy Boar with Reaver for  3 DMG

MD: 2   MISSED, BUT PARALYZED

This time Lisa held her sword a bit longer. She felt something different about her weapon, and when she felt something building, she released her attack, unleashing Reaver. ‘CRITICAL’ and ‘Paralysis Activated’ showed on her display and the woman brought her weapon down in a vertical strike upon the creature damaging it for half its health.

“I hit it!” Lisa squealed and jumped about.

The creature did not move a hair as she had paralyzed it, and Lisa readied herself to attack it again while it couldn’t move.

Persephone   12/12     Energy    1/3 (+1 healed / -1 from attack)

Frenzy Boar   3/6    PARALYZED 

Edited by Persephone
edited for tallies

ID: 32583
LD: 11 (No Mat)

"As you level up you'll gain strength," Mack called, pausing in his fruitless rooting around in the dirt to answer Persephone's question. "And don't worry, it won't make you look like a hormonally challenged Amazon woman or grow facial hair. At least not if the other women I've met in SAO are any indicator," the blacksmith continued, shrugging his massive shoulders as he watched Persephone fight. Everyone had to begin somewhere. "All you need to do is focus your attention on the enemy. There's nothing else in all of Aincrad other than that boar, you, and my voice." As he was speaking the words the dark-haired woman managed to connect with the boar to land a paralyzing critical hit. "Just like that," he called encouragingly.

Lisa squealed and then twirled way too excited about landing ONE hit on a frenzy boar of all things. If only she had known that the animal was the most basic of creatures with a loot drop, then she might not have been so excited. Okay. Maybe not AS excited, this was her first MMORPG for crying out loud. Mack told her to focus and the young woman ceased her antics. “Oh right… cos he might move… ugh! STUPID ME!” She said popping herself in the head with the heel of her right hand. Readying her weapon again, she focused on the boar and moved to strike.

BD: 5   MISSED     -2 ENERGY

MD: 7   BOAR HITS FOR 1 DMG (3 DMG -3 MIT)

CD: 2   NO REGENERATION

THORNS ACTIVATED DAMAGING BOAR FOR 2 DMG

Releasing her attack too soon, her wing went wide, rushed over the boars head by only a few centimeters and the animal lunged in to attack. She brought up her shield trying to minimize the blow, but the creature connected with both her and her defense knocking her health down a few points. The animal let out a terrible sound as he activated her shield’s thorns capabilities and it was injured but its attack.  She grinned. She might not have connected her attack, but the damn thing got his anyway.

“This is pretty awesome!” She said.

Persephone   11/12     Energy    0/3 (+1 healed / -2 from attack)

Frenzy Boar   1/6    

Edited by Persephone
edited for mitigation maths

OOC: The mitigation on your armor will reduce all incoming damage by 3 points per 1 point of mitigation. Since you must take 1 point of damage from a successful attack (regardless of your mitigation) you should only have lost 1 HP :)

ID: 32677
LD: 20 (+1 Mat)

“Keep focused and raise your shield a bit,” Mack called encouragingly to Persephone as she faced off with the boar. He watched the unfolding battle between woman and beast through storm grey eyes, his hands absently poking the haft of his weapon into the soft dirt at his feet. Rather abruptly, there was a soft thunking noise of metal tapping against metal. Kneeling to the ground, Mack rooted around for a moment before coming up with a chunk of ore that would be useful in crafting weapons and armor, which he quickly added to his inventory. “Keep your attention on your enemy until they are defeated, but be aware of your surroundings in case more should appear.”

BD: 2   OMG RNGEEZUS WTF

BD: 7   BOAR HITS FOR 1 DMG (3 DMG-3 MIT)

CD: 8   +4 HP REGENERATION

THORNS ACTIVATED HIT BOAR FOR 2 DMG

Lisa nodded as Mack told her she needed to focus, and she turned back to the boar, readying her weapon. It was too late however; as the boar was not longer frozen in place and it came at her. This time she raised her shield in time and blocked the incoming blow. The boar impacted with her shield and knocked into the young woman taking her health down another tiny tick. The animal was not so lucky. The second he collided with her shield, the creature received another round of thorns. They stabbed into the creature causing it further damage, and then the animal shattered and disappeared in a flurry of pixels. Once the thing was gone, she found a bundle of boar bristles upon the ground and she collected it.

“This is what I need for paintbrushes!” She said with a smile as she showed Mack. She took some steps toward the man and sighed. “That was pretty bad wasn’t it? Maybe I should have chosen a smaller weapon. I might have had less trouble with a dagger. ”

Persephone   12/12 (- 1 DMG bringing to 10, Healed for 4)   Energy 0/3   (+1 healed/ -2 from miss)

Frenzy Boar -1/6 DEAD

+1 BOAR BRUSTLE BUNDLE (MATERIAL) FOUND

ID: 33062
LD: 2 (No Mat)

“I’m not a fan of daggers, personally,” Mack said in response to Persephone’s question. “They’re completely lacking in reach and so you have to get stupid close to use them,” the massive man continued, elaborating on his biggest problem with knives. “Still, they can deal out good amounts of damage and Shirosu, she’s a Squad Leader with the Crimson Blades, certainly seems to make them work just fine for her,” Mack said, shrugging his broad shoulders. “Of course, so long as your armor’s good enough and you can take the hit then, really, you can use whatever kind of weapon you want. Of course, I opted for the path of dealing damage faster than the mobs can. Sheer overwhelming force is my preference.”

Lisa listened and nodded as the man spoke. Mack knew quite a bit about weapons as he was a smith, and even more about combat. His information was something she certainly could use in the future, provided she lived long enough to make good use of it. “I’ll keep that in mind.” She said and nodded. The young woman sighed. “I suppose I ought to go try again…and work on keeping my strikes inline and not swinging wildly at air.  How do I know when to release the attack? I seem to be doing it too early or late or something. I can’t even really tell.”

OOC: Your items are submitted for approval.

ID: 33639
LD: 13 (No Mat)

Mack listened as Persephone responded to his comments as he continued to absentmindedly continue probing the dirt, not really exerting much effort in his continuing search for crafting materials. He considered her question about knowing when to release an attack for a moment, thinking over the best response. "In general, I think the system should basically let you know when it's time to release the attack," he rumbled at last after mulling it over. "If you let the system control your movements, then you should hit your target most of the time. The problem is that a lot of players don't like turning over control of their actions, at least not fully, during combat. So, you wind up missing more than you should. Happens to a lot of players, myself included."

“Okay…” she said nervously. She didn’t like relinquishing control to the system, but if that’s what she needed to do, she would try. The boar respawned and the young woman readied her weapon and moved to strike.

BD 9   +1 CRIT     PERSEPHONE HITS BOAR FOR 3 DMG USING REAVER

-1 ENERGY

PARALYSIS ACTIVATED

MD: 1   MISSED

Persephone took a deep breath and relaxed as she gave in to the system. She felt the game automatically guide her through the movement and she hit the boar rather successfully, activating a “CRITICAL” on the creature. The animal made a terrible sound but did not move. She had stunned the animal. “YES!” She did a fist pump and readied to attack again.

Persephone   12/12     Energy    0/3 (-1 from attack)

Frenzy Boar   3/6    PARALYZED 

ID: 33732

Mack watched as Persephone followed his advice and continued her attack on the boar. This time as the woman sprang forward she succeeded in ramming her weapon into the boar. More than that, she scored a critical hit on the beast and it growled menacingly, but remained fixed in position. "Nicely done," he called to the brown-haired swordswoman. As it seemed clear she had things well in hand with the beast, Mack resumed his poking and prodding of the ground with the butt cap of Invicitus, but the efforts proved futile as no suitable crafting materials were located this time either.

BD: 7     PERSEPHONE HITS THE BOAR FOR 2 DMG     -1 ENERGY

MD:4     MISSED

Lisa rushed toward the boar again, her blade ready for another attack. Once more she gave into the system and felt that familiar pull like before, and at the very height of that sensation, her Reaver attack initiated. She brought her blade down upon the boar in a swift vertical strike. Her blade sung as it sliced through the air and connected with the back of the animal. The young woman smiled as the boar was as good as dead. Only one more hit to go.

Persephone   12/12     Energy    0/3 (+1 energy healed/-1 from attack)

Frenzy Boar   1/6   

ID: 33733
LD: 10 (No Mat)

Mack continued to keep an eye on Persephone out of the corner of her eye. When she landed the next hit on the boar, Mack was willing to concede that the creature was as good as dead. It would have been wildly unlikely for the boar to be able to land enough hits on the woman to even get her health bar into the yellow zone before she could reduce it to free floating pixels. Deciding to put a bit more effort into rooting about in the soft loose earth like a truffle hunting pig, Mack stabbed the butt cap of Invictus ever deeper into the ground in the ongoing, and continually fruitless, search for crafting materials, growling angrily to himself at the continued futility of the searching.

BD: 9   +1 CRIT     PERSEPHONE HITS BOARD FOR 3 DMG     -1 ENERGY

PARALYSIS ACTIVATED

MD: 4     MISSED

Lisa just needed one more hit… that was all. Just one, and she would prove that she was getting the hang of letting it ride.  She went to use her Reaver attack again and followed through with letting the system guide her. Once more she activated both her paralysis and landed a critical blow upon the beast with her slashing strike. The creature burst into pixels and disappeared.

“YEAH!!!”  She cheered and jumped up and down. “I’m totally getting the hang of this!” She said still bouncing.

Persephone   12/12     Energy    0/3 (+1 energy healed/-1 from attack)

Frenzy Boar   -2/6   DEAD

ID: 33735

The red-bearded blacksmith continued to root around in the dirt, growing more and more aggressive as he jabbed his weapon into the dirt again and again and again. It wasn't funny that Kayaba had rigged the system to make it this impossible to retrieve crafting materials from any source other than monster kills. Swearing darkly and quietly to himself, Mack abandoned his pursuit and looked up at Persephone's exclaimed cry of delight. At least someone was having a bit of success with their endeavors since, apparently, the ginger Grandmaster was having none. "Nicely done," he called to Persephone, "What's next?"