[SP - F1] The way of potions and crystals<<Earning a Living>>

Disclaimer: This thread should be considered mature as it contains strong (self-censored) language and 'unnatural' behavior patterns. Other than that is okay to read.. I think.

You have been warned!

First floor, the so called 'Noobville' was as busy as always, people running and walking around in all kinds of outfits. From full plate armors to disturbingly revealing clothing that seems to be even more embarrassing than walking around in you underwear. This place has truly become a pillar of 'freedom' among the residents of this fancy cage, where all the players were sentenced to death by hope. Yes, it was a cruel fate indeed, we are sentenced by the guy in the red cloak from that fateful day, to hope that after conquering the 100th floor we will be free of this place. 'What a load of bullsh*t' I thought while drinking a mug of ale, in a local in near the central plaza. The very place the sky went crimson and that huge robed person , who called himself GM, doomed us to this fate. 

Edited by Dracul

Ah yes, I forgot to introduce myself, well then my name is Dracul III Vladislav. I'm one of the poor saps that was there in the plaza and found out that there is no log out option. You could say that it was a hell of a surprise, my mind was in a daze... 'Someone is gonna get fired' was my first thought as my lips curled into a smile, thinking that some idiot from the dev. team forgot to add it to the final release. But boy was I wrong, seeing the skies go crimson and the giant figure..again my thoughts wandered into a entirely different direction: 'Is this guy over-compensating for something?' I started chuckling, the others around me were watching me as I was some sort of madman.

The self proclaimed GM's speech was boring, all I get was 'something something trapped... something something clear floor 100...... die IRL'. finally at those two final words I focused my attention on the crimson man but apparently he said all he wanted and left with a maniacal laugh in a flashy way. I spend the next hour or so asking random terrified kids what did he say. Most of them were scared sh*tless and couldn't even form a proper sentence. 'boy what a drag' I thought as I looked for at least a semi-composed player. In the end I gave up and went into a bar... there I meet a couple of guys that apparently had the same idea as me and got hammered already. I engaged them in conversation and finally found out what the crimson dude said.

"So basically were f***ed?" said my slightly drunken self as I loudly smacked a mug of ale on the table. I thanked the guys that began laughing and approving my 'resume' of what they just told me. After using little of my starting col to pay for the drinks we had together I bid them farewell and head out of the bar. "A giant prison in a form of a floating castle with 100 floors... well the castle part I knew. But we can't log out... I feel a bit bad now after laughing on a dev's expense. Not really.... In any case I guess I'll have to get a job."  Those words turned downcast gazes towards me, making the players around feel sorry for me.. thinking that I lost my friggin' mind and began talking to myself. Not that I pay attention to any of them, they have little significance to me with those sorry-*ss faces.

As I walked around time seemed to pass more rapidly, people appeared to have gotten over the initial shock of hearing those dreaded news. But only in a small portion as I still saw losers all around, some with a face that appeared that it would start crying the moment you would throw a glance into that direction. Well I had enough of that, I needed to find a job. Those drunkards were kind enough to share some info about this game as one of them claimed to be a beta tester. He told me about some sort of job that one can find here in SAO. Blacksmith, tailor and so on.... most like in any other MMO, I think is a subclass. Actually not, since SAO doesn't have an actual class classification like tanks, DPS and support. This is what piqued my interest about this game, how every character has the potential to become unique on its own.

"Now what should I chose?" I said in a loud voice as the thought crossed my mind. A blacksmith could be nice as I usually go for a tank build, actually not I will definitely become a variation of the tank build. Now then what should I chose for a supporting class/job for a tank, well dmg isn't my primary concern so healing stuff? I think that's about right. a tank should withstand blows and heal when he got the time. The beachhead for DPS front liners to go berserk off of. So ......... um alchemist? the cook and fisher also have similar buffs... but hey, crystals are a plus right? Well that was easy enough. Now there lies another problem that needs answered.

"How the hell do I become a Alchemist?¿??" weird....I didn't meant to word that question but found myself shouting while vigorously scratching my head with both hands. Once again, people's gazes turned towards me 'F**k off!' was my initial thought on what to say to them but in the end I only gave menacing glares towards those who meet my green eyes, forcing them to turn their own gazes away. 'That's right!'.. that's what my smirk was saying as I proudly made my way between them, bearing my fangs at those who stand before me, potentially blocking my path. 'Morons! don't they know this is a safe zone? there are so many ways they can gang up and intimidate me in a peaceful way using the advantage of numbers.'

A light chuckle escaped my mouth as my frown turned into a smile 'What am I thinking? seriously..sometimes I think that there is something wrong with my brain.' We are all in the same situation and all of us have different ways to deal with it. In my case I'm an *ssh*le about it but there are others that really have fallen into the depths of desperation. Well they are none of my concern!

Then my feet come to a halt as I see to my right a certain shop. "Alchemist designs?" I slowly mutter as I read the name of the shop. Its exterior had a fancy stock filled with all kind of potions and crystals. Only thing that differed was the labels and colors, as the vials and crystals had almost identical shapes and sizes. The thought 'This might do the trick' crosses my mind as I turn 90º and enter the shop.

"Hello!" this rude greeting fills the place and focuses the attention of a clerk towards me. He hurries to my side and asks in a slightly irritated tone but with a polite mask that tried to cover it. "There is no need to shout sir, Is there anything I can help you with?" His expression said enough, after measuring me from top to bottom he most likely labeled me as a newbie or a at least somebody who's here for window shopping. With a audible snort I reply in a arrogant tone:

"Not at all sir, in fact I'm here to help you! I can harvest materials needed in alchemical process for you. After all I am known as Dracul, descendant of the ancient Dracula bloodline." it was a half lie, true my name had a connection to my ancestor Vlad (Tepes) the Impaler but the character Dracula was just a fictional char from a good novel written by a German dude. In reality, he was a ruler that opposed the ottomans, a flesh and bone man like myself... well not 'this self' but the one IRL. But he was a vicious fella, his method of punishment is what gave him the nickname 'the impaler'.

"Are you stupid or something?" asked the clerk in a angered tone, a vein could be seen bulging on his neck as his monocle trembled. Ah [censored], he saw through my bluff... quick evasive maneuvers but before I could reply the man stated in a lesser tone. "I don't care what bloodline you have boy, as long as you get the job done. You think that spouting a random family name will give you prestige in front of my eyes.... you're still 100 years to young for that boy!" his tone was more like a teacher's than a angry man's. I just put a apologetic tone and muttered the next words, playing along: "You are right sir... I don't know what I was thinking."

The clerk let out a sigh and continued in a normal tone. "Okay then, I could use a little help with material gathering. Are you up for the challenge?" he asked while preparing a pen and paper while I simply not. Then it hit me... this guy's a NPC!!!! of course that IRL legends and such mean nothing to him. I give myself a mental smack behind the neck as the man finishes making a list and hands the paper to me. Humbly accepting it I peer through it : Angelica roots, Oak moss, Valerian roots, witch hazel, Rosemary, mandrake roots. The man intently looks at me as if to gauge my reaction.

"This is quite the list" I slowly muttered as I finished reading the list then fold it twice before putting it in my breast pocket. The clerk lets out a sigh then says: "What did you think? That it was easy money?" and that is when it hit me. After clearing my throat to get his attention I state with a warm tone: "You don't need to pay me. At least not in monetary rewards. I'd like to learn more about the alchemy trade you're having here and how to make potions and crystals. And I will be willing to make more errands for you." I ended with sly grin, looking him right into the eyes.

The man frowned and put a hand under his chin and began stroking it while making a complex expression. He stood like that for several moments bobbing his head forth and back then to the side. Then after a nod he finally raises his eyes to meet mine: "I accept that deal, however be prepared for a hell of a training under my care!" his voice was strong and determined. It made me inadvertently smile, not one of those fake *ss smiles but a genuine one. I let out a sign as I come to the realization that it had been a while since I showed that human-like emotion. Well its not that I didn't show human emotions but the ones that most find positive. I simply shrugged it out afterwards and extended my hand for a handshake. The man nodded and accepted the hand, thus sealing our contract.

• 2 weeks later...

Seeing no more point in staying there but wasting both our time, I leave the shop with a a simple wave with the back of my hand as I step out. "Now..where should I go?" I ask myself while gently stroking my chin. I take a look at the list..... it makes me frown instantly, the writing was so beautiful, I instantly went jealous on the man's skill. My writing wasn't bad but the thing I had in my hand could be confused with medieval poetry text if not for the content. Showing indignation with a loud 'Tsk' from my lips I proceed to reading the content. "Angelica roots - a low level alchemical material that is used for making healing potions. This crafting material can be found near the outer walls of the starting city.".....pretty detailed stuff, I'd expect no less from one of Cardinal's NPCs.

Folding the piece of paper, my next destination is already set. Taking a couple of cautious looks around me, I let out a sigh thinking of my own paranoia before exiting the city. While walking I open my inventory and make sure that my new 'Rose shirt'(+6 Dmg Mit) is equipped before I go facing out the unknown. A good looking blonde was kind enough to set me up with that particular item that supposedly gave me more protection. Pinching the white shirt, fixating my gaze on the crowned lion logo, 'I highly doubt this can give me that much protection' was the thought that ran across my mind. "Whatever! is not like I'm going to start fighting mobs indiscriminately." I muttered as I pass by some random person. He gave me a weird look that I just couldn't ignore: "Problem?" I asked in a menacing tone, bearing my fangs at him with serious ill intent. The guy just shrugged and continued his path not bothering with a reply. "Thought so!" I snorted at his back, stroking my ego a bit even if I had the feeling he was ignoring me more than actually being scared by my threat.

Finally reaching the outside of the starting city I gaze around the surroundings. Some fellow low levels were engaged in combat with level one boars and wolfs. "That's stupid, you guys should try doing basic quests instead. A bunch of dumba**es" I muttered with a grin as I started walking in a different direction alongside the outer walls. The reason I was sticking to the walls like a gum? well it wasn't because I was afraid but of what it was written on that piece of paper.

"I haven't thought about it but these walls are so HUGE!!!!"  came a shout as I thought about the approximate length of the damn things. If the Starting city occupies a round surface of 20 Km. I didn't even wanted to think of how much the walls had. "That guy sent me on a fool's errand" continued my monologue which consisted mostly of profanities towards the monocled alchemy clerk, the remaining part being just complains.

During my 'one-man show' a unfamiliar growl makes a cold shiver run through my back, along my spine. I turn my head towards the source, much like a broken doll almost making the creaking sounds you'd see in old cartoons. But this wasn't a cartoon, even the animations weren't drawn but almost perfectly emulated reality. And right before me stood a wolf. True, people might comment that its only a lvl 1 mob and that it was easy to defeat. But I was fresh out of the box and most importantly people can stick their opinion in a dark place.

Hastily I unsheathe my basic two handed straight sword and enter a position I often saw in the games I played. 'God I hope I don't die' was the silent prayer that I let before exhaling loudly. Before the wolf could make its move I rush towards it, releasing a unconscious savage shout in a attempt to intimidate it. Next bringing the sword above my head, I unleash it upon the mob, dealing 'catastrophic' damage to the beast.

ID#34028  BD:10  MD: 1

Dracul: 4/4 HP [0/1 Energy] | 2 Dmg | 6 Dmg Mit

Wolf: 1/4 HP | 3 Dmg | 1 Dmg Mit

The wolf seemed to be shocked by the sudden attack as it made no attempt to counterattack and took the hit head on. That raised several question marks in my head but I ignored them for now as I swept my blade horizontally to fend off and potentially kill my enemy. I could feel my muscles tensing up and the grip around the hilt of the weapon, becoming stronger as I once again slashed the wolf with no hesitation. As soon as my poor excuse for a blade finished carving the poor thing's body, the monster exploded in pixels before me. It left on the ground a couple of golden coins and a flower? As any avid gamer I greedily pick the monetary reward first before focusing next on the flower.

ID#34085  BD:7  LD: 16  MD: 3

Dracul: 4/4 HP [+1 Regen = 0/1 Energy]  | 2 Dmg | 6 Dmg Mit

Wolf: 0/4 HP | 3 Dmg | 1 Dmg Mit

Mob Drop: 1 Angelica root, 20 col

But before picking it up, my whole body slumps on the ground with a pretty loud *Thud*. My hands drop the two handed sword that seemed to have been made of lead and start shaking. "What's going on?" I try to shout but my voice comes out more shaky than loud. 'The f*ck is going on?' that prime thought crosses my mind as I try to stand up or even move a finger. It was like I was paralyzed. 'But the dog didn't even get a chance to hit me.' my brain was trying to find a logical explanation for what was happening. No luck but after a while the whole thing stopped as I was induced into a serene mood all of the sudden. Even my head had given up on the search for a answer. To any other observer, I was just standing there, on my knees... looking up at the fake pixelated sky.

On a whim, I touched my lips. I was shocked to find out as I traced with my hand a smile that I never knew I was able to made. It wasn't the usual fake-happy or even the genuine one, It was something more twisted....more primitive.

The state of 'normality' returns to me as the flower mob drop enters my attention through my peripheral vision. That thing reminded me of my purpose here, why was I just sitting there like a idiot? whatever it was, it's gone now so no point in worrying about it anymore....right? I grabbed the two handed weapon and found out that it once again became light in my hands, no.... I should say that it became even lighter than before. Taking it as granted, due to my extreme prowess with the double edged weapon and being a bit drunk with power by a simple kill, I use it as a support, after stabbing it in the ground, to lift myself up. Dust of my bottom and shirt and pull out the list. "Okay, that's one down." I say, making a imaginary sign next to the first item on the list, as I pick it up and store it in my inventory

ID# 34089  LD: 13 (no gathering material)

Edited by Dracul

Next item was.... Oak moss. SO I basically need to find a oak tree and get some moss from it? Seems simple enough. The guy even wrote: 'This item can be found in the nearby forest to the south exit of the Starting city' how fu**ing nice of him. Rage was starting to show itself as I realize where I was. "That a**hole could've told me that before I went through the NORTH EXIT!"...that's right. Mr. dumb blond over here just read the item names, didn't even went through the trouble of reading each one's description. Now, after thoroughly reading all that was on that piece of paper, most of them could be found ON THE OTHER SIDE of town. I cursed my envy on his writing, the thing that made me want to gaze at the thing as little as possible. In the end it was my fault but why blame myself when the world if full of other people to blame?

Turning around, I was about to get back in the city and head straight towards the opposite building when a familiar shape caught my attention: "Finally, a stroke of luck in this place!" I almost shouted as I went towards one of the few plants I was familiar with the name of and how they looked.

ID# 34091  LD: 16 ( Rosemary found! )

Edited by Dracul