PP-F11 'Quiet Reflections' (PM FOR INVITE YO)

(SO RUSTY FORGIVE ME)

How long had it been?

It seemed like just weeks ago...Mari sat at the head of a meeting, on this very floor. Guild members, enemies and other players alike -seated around her as she was prepared to lead the fray into battle. Leading the charge into the boss room, but she had walked out. Wordlessly, silently and without cause, or reason. She left. 

She left that room... and with a flicker, she left the public eye.

Mari, Leader of Cerulean Silence; the strongest player in Aincrad. Mari, the most feared PKer...They were all just meaningless titles to her. 
She grew weary, and tired from it all, those cold gazes - the bile and hatred. The fear, the expectations. So she hid away, away from the dazzling sunlight that covered the world above, or...more accurately...the floros below. She shut up her Alchemic tent on the 11th floor and remained there. Burying herself in her Alchemical studies and research. 

Mari's fingers were dyed in the blood of scattered petals, lives - fluttering upon the virtual winds of the game; screams that still haunted her sleep even now, for her blade was adorned with knitted thorns. She had become a beacon of something more, her life was no longer hers to control, but then again...was it ever in her control to begin with?

Messy pink locks fell over her shoulders - as Mari yawned. A thin hand shooting up into the air as she stretched, she rubbed tired, bloodshot eyes, the colour of a dim ocean floor. Her tongue darted out and licked her lips and Mari groaned. It was another restless sleep. She had done very little lately, and yet...felt much more drained, exhausted and tired than ever. As though her energy was being sapped by the very darkness and solitude that she had surrounded herself in. 

Upon waking, Mari found that the raid into the boss room was just about to begin. There was some sort of announcement on it, and there were those who still messaged her, as though they ignored her obvious attempt to shut herself away from the world.

"That long huh..." She mumbled to herself as she pushed up and off the lush ground of her store. She padded over to the entrance, barefoot - and opened the flap. Essentially unlocking the store, for visitors to once again wander in.

Mari turned on her heel, and sat back at her Alchemic table, pulling out a variety of materials to work with, another day - hidden away from the world. Another day where she would attempt to push the boundaries and limits of the game, and its effects it had on its denizens - and their mentality. 

Lowenthal had walked into the tent that Mari had set up. He had only talked to her a few times before, once to trade a few potions for a swimsuit he had made. And again later, when he had introduced Takao to her. Lowenthal had only talked for a little while, before having to leave, but he felt like he had made a connection. Seeing as the woman had added him to her friend list. Lowenthal took a seat on the floor, crossing his legs. He stared at the woman for a few seconds, trying to find the words to properly strike up conversation. "So, you feeling alright? You look tired as all hell." Lowenthal asked the pink haired player as he noticed her appearance.. He wasn't sure if she had noticed his own PK tag, but he didn't really care. Her hair was a mess, and he could clearly see the bags under her eyes. 

Edited by Lowenthal

There it was, just as Mari had sat down.

The sound of canvas shifting, the soft footfalls of another person. Mari didn't care to turn around and see who it was. If it were a customer, they would call out when they were ready, and if it were someone else - they would do the same. She could feel the persons presence approach, and with a shuffle - sit opposite the table behind her. Finally, a voice to the presence. Someone had asked her if she was alright. He sounded familiar, so Mari gave an annoyed sigh as she put down the test tube she was fiddling with; turning her head over her shoulder to briefly look at him.

Lowenthal.

Her brows furrowed as her eyes rose to see the glistening red cursor above his head, angry and violent - just like the actions he had committed. "Mmm..." It was all she had to say to him, as she turned back to her work, Mari picked up the vile, and started mixing various ingredients together, till she had finished a potion. 'Murderous Intent'  She placed turned to place it on the counter behind her, the same counter Lowenthal sat in front of. "Is that all?" She asked, "I'm busy." 

It was clear she was not as amicable as she was in their previous encounters.

Lowenthal gave out a slight scoff as Mari dismissed him. He was hurt slightly by Mari's quick dismissal of him, but he played it off. Lowenthal could see the look in her eyes, and he bit his lip. He didn't know what to say, as he wasn't expecting to be brushed off so quickly. He rubbed the back of his neck. He looked at her, frustrated. "That's it? Seriously? The hell do you get off?" Lowenthal asked, agitated. "After our last chat, I think I made a new friend, and then you go, and disappear. Then you walk out of your own meeting, going to god knows where. And when, me, someone who thinks of you as an actual person and not a goddamn psychopath with a pretty face, and someone who actually cares about you, wants to know if you're alright. You brush me off?" Lowenthal asked, using his hand as emphasis. "What is going through your head?" Lowenthal asked.

She pulled out a spiky plant, that resembled rosemary, if not for its macabre colour - and wordlessly dropped it into the mortar, she began to grind the herb. Waiting for Lowenthal to finish speaking. Finally, she spoke in return. "Rather self entitled don't you think?" Mari said cooly, not bothering to look up from her mortar and pestle as she continued to grind the herb into a fine, black powder. "I didn't ask for you to come, nor did I ask for your thoughts on myself as a person. I don't need validation from anyone. Most certainly not someone who throws a hissy fit because someone doesn't act in a way befitting to them." Her last words dripped with seething undertones of animosity. Tones that could only ever be spoken from harsh realities of prior experiences. She had dealt with that attitude from her Ex-Husband. She had dealt with that attitude from Argumail, Moartea, Kosan and Daeron; and she most certainly was not going to deal with that attitude from anyone else. 

Ever.

Mari drew a breath, to calm herself, further explaining her actions."Is what I did selfish? Yes. But did anyone stop me? No. In the months of my disappearance did one person bother to message me?" She paused, and silence was her answer. Mari did not turn around to face him. She talked into her work, slowly grinding the herb into a fine black powder. "That's your answer." She replied dryly.

"And so...I grew tired of pretending." She said, as she reached out and grabbed a large glass bottle, uncorked it and allowed 3 drops of the yellow liquid to pour onto the powdered herb. "I grew tired of others fabrications. Of the expectations, and of people. So - I left. I don't need to explain my actions, nor do I need to justify them. Especially to a hot headed idiot." 

Lowenthal let out a small gasp, as Mari spoke her piece. She was right, of course. "You, You're right. I'm, sorry." Lowenthal apologized. "I am, a Hot Headed Idiot. And you, of course, had your reasons. And I most certainly did message you." Lowenthal retorted. "The day I earned this, coloured arrow. I messaged you." He said. He had only messaged her the one time, but i she didn't reply to that, he figured she wouldn't reply to much else. Lowenthal rubbed the back of his neck. Why was talking to Mari so damn difficult. It was like he was at a psycyatrist or something. "And you didn't respond. So I figured that, if that didn't get a reply back, how would a 'Hi, how was your day?' get one?" Lowenthal said, explaining himself.

• 3 months later...

As the yellow liquid dripped onto the powdered root there was a small hiss, followed by a single thin plume of a midnight blue smoke. Mari seemed satisfied with the reaction, and poured another 3 drops onto the powder before setting the bottle down beside her and once again continuing to grind the powder, pressing and folding the wet mixture.

Lowenthal's reaction was what she expected, a mild shock - as the flaws in his behaivour were picked apart and thrown ruthelessly into his face. The dismayed tone in his voice as he realized he was not gaining any traction with the female, and the earnest desperation to keep the conversation going. To keep any form of rapport with her, to drag her into some sort of emotional connection with him. 

With a stammer he murmured that he did, indeed message her - As he said this Mari paused, noting the message "Ah." It was true. "So you did. My mistake." She said as her pink eyes drifted straight back to her work, as she slowly added more drops to her mixture, it slowly forming a putrid yellowish brown thick liquid. "Even if I had seen it, it would not have bode well for you. Chances are, I would have investigated. I would have acted irrationally." 

Mari paused to pour the liquid into a vial. Capping it, she placed it under her desk, along with the messy equipment.  "And there is a very good chance you would not be standing there now. So it is highly likely that it is a good thing I didn't see it." 

Lowenthal couldn't believe what he was hearing. He sat there, silent. At this point he'd prefer not to speak. He wanted to say everything that was on his mind. How Mari was somewhat of a role model. An anime-esque senpai, to look up to. But now he didn't know what to think. Lowenthal mustered up the courage to finally speak. "I'm going to go. But I'll back back. When I understand more." Lowenthal said, leaving. "Take care, Mari." He said as he left.

~~Months Later~~

Lowenthal finally stumbled his way back to the tenth floor. He hadn't been here since he had lost his night vision skill thanks to that update. He had grown a lot since the last time he had came here. After a few more minutes of being unable to see much, he noticed the all familiar glow. Mari's shop was just ahead. He took a deep breath in, and marched forward. He opened the curtain and stepped inside, and moved over to the counter. "Mari?" Lowenthal said aloud, hoping that the pink haired alchemist was home. "You here?" Lowenthal asked again. He had also brought over a small boxed lunch that a friend of his had made. The tent gave him memories. Some good, and some bad. But both made him feel, at ease. It was a nice change of pace to someplace familiar then the ever changing landscape of the front lines. "Sheesh, would it kill her to be waiting with a smile for a change?" Lowenthal said aloud, as he sat down.

Mari's words were harsh, cold but held an undeniable truth that they both knew to them. His eyes were downcast, and Mari could only assume that he was contemplating her words and was wise enough not to come up with an immediate emotional fuelled retort. When he did speak, it was to say he would be back, and just like that....

Lowenthal made a hasty retreat.

Months had passed, at least it was nearing that, and not much - if anything had changed for Mari. She still hid herself away from the world, still had little to no contact from anyone, and oddly. It didn't bother her. There was no doubt in her mind that she was no longer Aincrad's strongest fighter, nor Aincrads most powerful Alchemist. Her name, and the visage of a pink bloodthirsty beast - was naught but mere rumour and fading memories.

And Mari wanted it that way. 

Mari was under her crafting table, sorting out her materials, when she heard rather loud footfalls stumble into her dimly lit tent. She didn't have to peek up over the low set mahogany table to know who it was. Lowenthal had returned. Just like he said he would. Mari figured he would show up eventually. He wasn't the type to simply leave things hanging. His last appearance was proof enough of that. 

Mari gave a heavy sigh as she shifted up from under the table. "I'd think my smile would kill those who'd see it, rather than the expression being the death of me." She replied with a snarky tone. Not much had changed about Lowenthal, at least in appearance. His cursor was no longer an angry red, but the peaceful green of someone who had made peace with a sordid past. 

"Congrats." Mari said, gesturing toward his crystal with her eyes. "I suppose atoning for what you did means you have a little more of a fashion sense?" She asked, noting his new black jacket, replacing his old attire. "Careful, with that look, you'd almost look like Zelrius." Mari held the stem of a deflowered rose in her right hand, she waved it , circling his face with her gesture.
"Except you don't have that self absorbed smirk, or the capacity to throw tantrums to such extents." She mused.

Lowenthal wore a soft smile as he turned to see the pink warrior standing behind him. "Well, it's good to see you too." He said happily. "And I'd like to think I'm gonna get to see you smile some day. In a good way." Lowenthal said. "It's nice to see you again mari." Lowenthal said, warmly. Mari complimented his new choice of jacket. "Oh? You really think I look like Zel?" he said, looking at his attire. "I mean, I'd like to think that i'm just a tad bit more handsome then he is." Lowenthal joked. "Speaking of Zel, I doubt that you heard this but. I've replaced him in Azure." Lowenthal said matter of factly. "We've also his a snag. Ariel is leading the charge for the next floor boss. So it's going nowhere, of course." Lowenthal said, letting out a scoff. He didn't hate the woman, he just disagreed with how she ran things. "I would ask how to hermit life was treating you, but I'm sure that you were enjoying yourself before I showed up." Lowenthal said, letting out a small chuckle.

Mari wasn't exactly amused by his cheerful disposition - and it showed. She seemed disinterested in his presence entirely, till he started filling her in on what had been going on amongst the front liners. "Eh? Really? What knocked him off his high horse? Or did he just throw one hissy fit too many?" Mari shrugged, she was curious as to why Zelrius stepped down. Despite her barbed words - she had to admit he was a strong opponent. Once upon a time, third strongest to her, no doubt he would have surpassed her since her depature from the public eye. Zelrius had his flaws, but he was just a child. He was bound to act childish, it was literally in his nature - to be expected of an adolescent teen, who just so happened to be thrust into an unforgiving virtual world. It seemed odd to Mari, that he would just step down from a guild he had been so proud of, a group that he had stood beside for so long. "Odd..." She muttered to herself. 

"Ariel...really?" Mari muttered, not bothering to attempt the seething hatred that dripped from her words. Mari turned her head to the side with a sigh., "it's a shame she's still kicking, really - I think that'd be the one instance I wouldn't mind if someone just lopped off her self righteous, hypocritical head. I step away from leading the front lines to be replaced by that blond b***h?" Mari stood from the table. She didn't need to pay heed to his other 'jokes' or words.

"That's disappointing, I don't know what pisses me off more, your attempt of a joke, or her." Mari pushed back her fringe from her face. "Who am I kidding? it's her."

Mari pushed passed Lowenthal, "Go on then, fill me in." She ordered, as she passed the blonde haired man, opening the flap to her tent. Lips pressed in a stoic line. She wasn't going to sit idly by whilst this happened. It'd be slow, and she'd have to gain her bearings again but she'd claw her way to the top again.

Mari.

Was back. 

Lowenthal shrugged his shoulders. "I don't know what caused him to leave. Ever since he got duel blades, he got all mopey and depressed. If anyone's deserved a break, it's Zel. I mean, running a guild like Azure, fighting on the front lines since day one, and now being claimed 'The Hero of AIncrad'. And all of that at his age. I can't even imagine the stress." Lowenthal said, but he was sure his reply had fallen on deaf ears as Mari stood from her spot and pushed Lowenthal out of the way. Lowenthal quickly got to his feet, and followed. He felt a growing sensation inside of his chest. At first, he thought it was fear but he soon realized that it was excitement in him that was making him feel this way. Finally, something worth doing. He nodded. "Yes M'am." He said, as he recalled the info he could gather. "Apparently, the way to floor fourteen is blocked by a massive war between two angels. When Ariel had approached the area, monsters known as 'souls' started to spawn and took a pretty good chunk of the raid team to finally get them all down. The boss room is holding Avarious, The Soulstealer. Apparently, a fallen angel. I can't remember the stats exactly, but I know that it's fairly weak for a floor boss. So there must be something else about it, as it's wielding a two handed sword." Lowenthal took a small breath, as he wondered where Mari was leading him. Or well, going herself.

"The next thing is, that sword arts, and Skill mods were added to the game. Which nerfed a lot of players, including myself. The numbers increased from 10, to the hundreds in terms of damage output. And if you look in your skill menu, you'll see that you should have a skill reset waiting for you to claim. Seeing as you still run on the older system, mobs and the like are sure to be much much more dangerous." Lowenthal said, following closely to Mari. "Velvet Room is currently run by Jomei, a good friend of mine. And myself am in Azure Brigade. I believe that Teayre and Calrex have made their own guild, in which contains Ariel. If only for, pleasantries." Lowenthal continued talking, not sure on what Mari needed filling in on. "A few new weapons were added. Most recently a one handed version of the axe. But Wild Dance, and Whip were added in as well. So, they might be a good look into when you respec." Lowenthal said, before asking his own question. "Uhm, I hate to pry. but where are we going?" He asked the pink haired woman.

"Hero of Aincrad? Seems like people are stupider than I thought." Mari muttered dryly. She didn't exactly share Lowenthals sentiments for Zelrius, or anyone for that matter. Her guild long since disbanded without her no doubt. Not that it mattered. If she really wanted, she could bring it back - but she didn't. Mari didn't exactly want to be around anyone right now. Lowenthal was useful, he was privvy to information she was not. "Good thing he stepped down then, kids don't need that, and the populace don't need to be looking for a child as their savoir, lazy little sh*ts."  As they exited the tent Mari noticed something...slightly odd. Her vision was not as impeccable as it once was. 

Before she could question it, Lowenthal quickly explained how most of the systems were rebooted, new skill trees, points and arts were now available. Mari vaguely remembered reading something about that, but hadn't bothered to look into it further. "I see." Mari murmured as she opened up her skill tree - it seemed that she wouldn't suffer terribly from it. Having stockpiled a large amount of SP. The thing that she would lack most in, if she were to fix herself up now, it would seem, would be her light armour skill, but she was close to levelling. "Trivial, at best." Mari muttered. "I'll take care of it in a moment, I am in no rush. I know this area very well. Mobs do not enter this close to the entrance of the town." She gestured toward the large dragon guarding the town. "The thing destroys anything, PKers included that wanders too close, first hand knowledge there kid." 

Lowenthal continued, discussing the inner workings of his guild - but Mari was quick to talk over him, clearly irritated at his words. "Does it look like I care about guilds right now?" She shot him a look and Lowenthal quickly changed topics to the new weapons.  "Whip mmm? How many people are using such a weapon?" Mari asked, Lowenthal answered with one of his own. 

"To knock Ariel off her high horse, angel whatever be damned." 

Lowenthal quickened his pace, walking beside Mari. He was frustrated that Mari called him a kid. Again. When she voiced her idea of going to knock Ariel off her high horse, Lowe stepped in front of her. "Whoa whoa, wait. Are you that stupid? Or that blinded by some unneeded rage?" He said, stopping Mari. "Look at your stats. Look at your activity. Who would side with you if it came to a debate? And in combat, Ariel would kill you." Lowenthal said. "Hell, I'm fairly certain that I could teach you a lesson or two at your current state. So before you just go marching off and being an idiot like me, f**king thing for a second." He hissed. Mari was reckless and rushing into things that she wasn't ready for. Ariel was probably stronger than Mari in her prime. "You want to dethrone Ariel? Do it the smart way, and do it carefully. Rushing into things is what gets players killed by boars on floor one." Lowenthal said. "And I'm not a kid." Lowenthal said, finally speaking his mind. 

(On phone, permission from Lowenthal to do stuff, will edit later)

Her hand drew across his face as in one swift series of movements she not only slapped him, but looped her leg around his and tripped him with the force of the blow. "You d**k."

Mari's eyes flashed green- as her night vision skill reignited with a flash. Her head down turned, eyes glaring at the poor youth beneath her feet. His eyes widened as he realized his predicament.

Mari had reset her skills, and although she had secluded herself for many months, and had not fought for longer still - it was clear that the petite pink demon was still a force to be reckoned with.

Mari pulled out her Kusanagi, what was once a dagger, was now a whip - she had changed her skill tree from Grandmaster Dagger to Grandmaster Whip. 

"You're what...in your early 20's? You may have a new guild, and a new jacket but you still hold yourself like a brat."

With a quick flick of her wrist, the Kusanagi whip cracked, and wrapped around Lowenthal's throat- she lifted him up with her whip, and leant over him. Pressing her forehead to his.

"Dont't assume I won't consider my current predicament, don't lump me in with the filth that walks around Aincrad."

Mari released the hold she had around his throat with a nimble gesture, and Lowenthal fell back down to the ground with a thud. 

If he thought she would be so reckless, then it was clear he didn't understand her as much as MAri assumed he did. "Shame." She muttered.

(phone = crap post)

Lowenthal felt a slap ring across his face. In reaction, he stepped back and was already caught in Mari's combat maneuver. Lowenthal landed on his back, his head bouncing off of the rock. "Why, you sack of-" Lowenthal began to say before he felt a pain around his neck. He grasped at the confins around his neck, to discover it was a thick rope, or a chain. He would speak again, but Mari had yanked him upright. Lowenthal struggled with the whip around his neck, trying to free himself. Mari release him, after having some words and he fell back down on his back. Lowenthal lied there for a moment, unsure of what had exactly happened. Lowenthal placed a hand on his face, and laughed. He realized that they were still on the tenth floor, and that reaching floor thirteen would net Mari a few levels, and a damn good amount of SP. Maybe even enough to make her, her former self. "Ah, damn. Here I thought I thought that I grew up. If just a little bit." Lowenthal said, still laughing on the cave's floor. He stood up, and dusted himself off his laughing now subsiding into a chuckle. "Hell, it's about damn time I was knocked on my ass." He said, rubbing his neck. "So, let's not waste any more time. Shall we?" He asked, following Mari.

Mari raised an eyebrow, catching his attempted insult, she would have had more to say on the matter, but the subject shifted and the moment was lost. Mari may not have a filter when it came to what she said - but she at least knew there was a time and place to mention things, and bringing up a petty attempt at an insult past the fact - was not one of those moments.

Mari waited, arms crossed - as her weight shifted to one side. A heeled leather boot tapping the floor in an impatient manner as Lowenthal lie there in silence. "Levels don't mean a lot. SP means sh*t all. Skills can only take you so far. If you don't pull your head out your ass, you're useless." Mari mused, as Lowenthal mentioned how he thought he had grown, Mari didn't say anything, but she had to admit - he took her sudden beating rather well. Laughing it off - although she wasn't sure if that was simply a coping mechanism. Still...the fact that he didn't immediately retaliate in a fit of rage, perhaps he had grown.

"I won't hesitate to do it again." Mari said, as she turned away from Lowenthal, heading toward the tower that lead to the next floor.

Lowenthal followed Mari closely, entering toward the tower. He caught ear of her words, and smiled. "Good. Glad to know that if I f**k up, someone'll bring me back to earth." He said plainly. He needed someone like Mari around. Someone to make sure his ego didn't go out of control, or anything of the sort. Lowenthal saw Mari as a teacher, or someone he could try to be back then. But now, he didn't know what he wanted to be. The only thing that he knew about himself, was that he was bored all the time. Nothing really challenged him, or made him test himself. Hell, he even grand mastered his weapon with no problem. Lowenthal gave a small cough, before speaking. "This is really dumb to ask, but I want to ask you anyway." Lowenthal said, holding his hand against the earthen surface of the wall to brace and somewhat guide himself. "I want you to teach me. Teach me, how to be a better person. Help me grow up." Lowenthal asked her. He expected her to either laugh in his face, or smack him again. Either way, he was expecting a firm no.

Mari knew exactly where to go, she had marked it all down before - and she doubted that there were many mobs around the place. Floor 10 had them few and far between, if you didn't include the blood filled river to the North of their direction, which spawned hellish undead creatures of bosses past. "This isn't earth." Mari corrected, as she continued. Not bothering to look back at Lowenthal, not entirely sure why he was still following her. She wasn't exactly the most friendliest, or kind of people. She left everyone and everything at the drop of a hat. She didn't reach out, or bother to keep in contact with anyone. Even those she thought she had some sort of comradeship with. 

"If it's dumb don't ask it." Mari said, but just as she had finished speaking, the youth behind her asked anyway. Mari stopped in her tracks, and Lowenthal almost bumped into her. It was clear he wasn't able to see on the floor as well as she could. His question, wasn't one she was expecting. Lowenthal wanted her to teach him? Of all people? "That is a dumb question." Mari muttered, quickening her pace as she started forward again. 

Mari wasn't sure how to feel about the question. She wasn't sure how she felt most of the time, beyond numb, confused and angry - there wasn't much more to her current emotional range. Her brows furrowed. As she spoke her mind, "I'm not a role model. I can't help you, I can't teach you sh*t. I don't know why you'd ask me of all people." She muttered, kicking a rock. "Do whatever the hell you want, don't expect me to be nice. "

Lowenthal quickened his pace to catch up with Mari. He threw his hands behind his head, and matched her pace. "Well, do get used to having me around then." Lowenthal said. "I'll just shadow you, and learn by example." He said, not really caring all that much anymore. If Mari said do what you want, then he would. "And of course, I'll be quiet. For the most part. You could think of me as a sort of, apprentice if you'd like. Though, I doubt it." He said, sighing. "And I never expected you to be nice. Which is probably why I need your help the most. Everyone in this damn game is to nice. So no one says anything or does anything for fear of offending one another. And I'm victim of that." He said, wanting to fix it.