(PP-F4) Lessa of Two Evils <<Essence of Steel>> COMPLETE

Spoiler

<<The Essence of Steel>>

This quest takes place on Floor 4
This quest is repeatable
This RP will not count in the benchmark

Word from Information Brokers speaks of a mysterious Beast Skull found in the far north of the Frozen wasteland of Floor 4. A small party reported having struck the skull with a nearby bone, waking a huge beast in a nearby cave. This monster, identified as <>, was easily equal in health and strength to a Floor Boss, and is said to yield an incredibly rare drop upon death that will allow a player to enhance a single item, improving it's quality by one level.

Requirements:
-At least two [2] Pages (21 or more posts)
- The Snow Beast must be defeated

Snow Beast Information:
<Snow Beast> is a Field Boss and has the following statistics:
HP: 250
Damage per Attack: 40

Special Ability: Partial Phase- Snow Beast will always deal a minimum of 24 damage, even through Armor and Armor Abilities.

Rewards:

1. Essence of Steel: an incredibly rare monster drop that allows a player to enhance a weapon, armor, or accessory and improve it's quality by one level. (Example, an Uncommon Weapon becomes a Rare Weapon.) Enhanced Gear is eligible for new Item Enhancements and must be approved through the Crafting Item Evaluation Topic.
  2. 1 Skill Point
Parties or Groups are encouraged, though only the player who takes this quest, and uses the Skull to awaken The Snow Beast will receive the <<Essence of Steel>> drop. That means ONLY ONE ESSENCE WILL DROP PER TOPIC.

Recommended Level: 25

Manta waited in the snow outside of the exit to the fourth floor safe zone. She was wearing the cyan blue coat that Sousuke had made for her in order to take the edge off of the cold. Sousuke was one of the main reasons she was here. He seemed to have disappeared once again, and she hadn't even heard from him in weeks. In order to take her mind off of the disappearance of her fiancé she had decided to go and fight a quest boss. As it happened, her friend Ebony needed the drop from the boss as well. Everything seemed to be falling into place. All that she needed now was for someone to show up in reply to her player request. Although she could likely take the boss out pretty quickly, she never felt comfortable without some form of backup.

Edited by Manta Gaul

The vibrant blue coat stood in stark contrast to the white snow that stretched for miles before her. Lessa squinted toward it, raising a hand to shield her eyes against the sun's blinding rays; the blanket of diamonds that covered the earth reflected the light like a mirror. She was unable to read the player's name, but this was the spot that the party request had indicated. And as there was no one else around, she assumed that she was looking at her temporary partner.

The snow crunched pleasantly underfoot as she slowed from a rushed trot to a more leisurely pace. When she had first received the request, she worried that she might have another overzealous, low-level player on her hands. But judging from the other player's appearance, she either matched or outranked Lessa. That came as a huge relief to the blonde.

"Hello," she called out, lifting one gauntleted hand in greeting.

Manta looked up Manta turned around to see another player walking towards her, likely someone that had answered her request. To her relief they didn't look to be too low leveled. Normally Manta wouldn't mind about level, but she didn't want to have to juggle protecting another play and fighting the boss at the same time. That would just make everything much harder. She raised her own hand, giving a little wave. The white gauntlet seemed to glow in the bright sunlight, the Azure Brigade symbol standing out. "Heyo!" She called out, walking towards the player. "Are you here for the request?" She asked in a friendly tone.

The Guardian nodded, slowing to a halt beside the other woman. "I am, yeah." As her attention moved to the stranger's hand, still hovering in a gesture of greeting, Lessa's blue eyes widened with recognition. "Oh," she breathed, "you're a member of Azure? You must know Zelrius then." The comment, she realized immediately, was poorly timed and incredibly out of place. Rather than making introductions, she had leapt into an entirely unrelated topic. 

The young woman shook her head slightly, as if to close the door on the discussion, and sweep it under the theoretical rug. "Anyway," she continued, "my name is Lessa. I've beaten the Snow Beast once before, but it was a long time back. I've heard rumor that the thing has gotten stronger over the past few months."

Manta smiled. It seemed like everyone knew Zelrius. She didn't know him all that well, even though he had voted for her admission into the guild, which she thought was strange. Yeah, Zelrius is one of my commandants. I'm Manta by the way. I've fought the snow beast recently, and it isn't too hard. I don't know what it was like before..." She paused. "Well, long story short it's always best to have backup, even if you can one shot the enemy." She hurried to explain. "I mean, I definitely can't, that was just an example."

Despite her hurried attempt at correcting herself, Lessa found herself silently reflecting on Manta's confidence. The way that she spoke about the snow beast bordered on bragging, and she briefly wondered if Zelrius' egotistical nature had somehow rubbed off on the young lady. But at the end of the day, it mattered very little, so long as she did not get carried away. Confidence was fantastic, until it got you killed.

"Well," she began. Her fingers moved through practiced motions as the young woman accepted Manta's party request. "I think we're set. You're welcome to take the lead, since you've fought the snow beast more recently. I'll follow."

Manta let out a sigh, reflecting on how easy it was to sound arrogant when you were a high level. That wasn't so bad as long as you could back up what you said though, at least in her opinion. She decided not to dwell on it either way. She unsheathed her rapier, holding it at her side as she started to walk, the blackened blade drawing in all of the light that touched it. She was by no means an expert on this boss like she was the sand shark and avalanche, so she was going to play it safe for this boss. It was only a few minutes before they approached the cave, the large entrance looming above them and casting a rather large shadow directly on top of them.

As her companion drew her weapon, Lessa did the same. She reached back slowly, her gauntleted hand closing around the large claymore's ornate hilt. With a long, metallic hiss, she freed her prized weapon from its sheath. The sword felt so familiar in her hand, and she briefly reflected on how much the blade meant to her. It had been crafted specially for her by someone she cared for and missed terribly. And it was the sword that she had used for nearly her entire tenure within Aincrad. Hell Rose had saved her life time and time again. Today, she had no doubt, would be yet one more instance.

Something stirred deep within the cave, and low growls carried through the chilled air. "Since this is your quest," Lessa began, "why don't you be the one to start things off?"

Spoiler

Equipment:

Pinpoint: +2 Accuracy, +1 Evasion

Crusher: 2 Heavy Momentum, 1 Keen

Darkened Rapier: +4 Fallen Damage, +1 Accuracy

Manta nodded to Lessa, butterflies forming in the pit of her stomach. She picked up a rather large bone that was lying on the ground, using her free hand. She walked forwards, ignoring the low growling that was coming from the cave. She swung forwards with all of her might, the bone slamming into the skull. Everything was silent for a few moments, and Manta found herself looking around. Just then a deafening roar blasted out of the cave as the gigantic Snow Beast exited its lair, it's sharp teeth dripping saliva onto the ground as it locked eyes with her. Manta sprinted forwards, leaping up into the air as high as she could before activating Over Radiation. Her darkened rapier stabbed through the snow beast's skin with little to no effort thirteen times.

She landed on the ground, crouching to displace her momentum from the fall. She smiled over to Lessa trying to express that this boss really wasn't that big of a deal. One attack and it's health was already a good ways into the yellow. She wasn't paying enough attention to the enemy though, and the next thing she knew she was flying through the air to land in a heap a good football fields length away. She slowly got to her feet, her hand still gripping her rapier.

ID# 40122 results:

Battle: 2 (+4)=6 Hit! (13 DMGx 13= 169 DMG)

MOB: 10 Hit!

Snow Beast: 81/250 (-169)

Manta: 84/126 (-42) EN: 16/29 (-13) Hate: 1  [Keen: +1 BD]

Turn Order: Manta>SnowBeast>Lessa

Lessa had hardly had time to return her companion's smile before the attack came. It seemed to appear from thin air, a hair-covered hand that was balled into a tight fist. It struck the female player with a dull thud, a sound that seem to vibrate Lessa's very core. Her chapped lips parted, meant to scream out some sort of warning, but the damage was already done. Manta flew through the frigid air, crumpling into a pile a good distance off. Her small frame disappeared into a large snow drift, but the cerulean coat became visible only seconds later. 

Shock gave way to anger, a low growl of frustration escaping her as she tightened her hold on Hell Rose. The Snow Beast had struck Manta when she was distracted, taking advantage of her few seconds of vulnerability. And the damage was unlike anything that Lessa had seen dealt by a non-floor boss. This monster was stronger and far more intelligent than what the Guardian had faced off against months ago.

She lunged forward, lifting the heavy crimson sword before her. Anger had consumed her, leaving no room for the concentration necessary to activate her sword art. Only seconds before reaching the massive creature, Lessa slowed, veering off toward the other girl. Her sword had not warmed, or glowed in her hand. She had made an error somewhere.

Spoiler

{[40275] BD: 1. Attack missed.}

Snow Beast: 81/250 

Manta: 84/126 EN: 16/29  Hate: 1

Lessa: 85/85 | EN: 18/20 [+1 DMG next turn - heavy momentum] | Hate: 0

Edited by Lessa

Manta wobbled slightly before getting her balance back. She raised her rapier in front of her, sprinting forwards as Lessa charged and retreated, seemingly in the same motion. It appeared that her sword art hadn't activated correctly. Manta slid underneath one of the snow beasts paw strikes, getting back on her feet in a split second. She pointed her darkened rapier at the beast, activating her strongest sword art yet again. She started to stab, the system controlling her movements as she twirled and jabbed into the snow beasts leg. That was all it took, and the mob fell over on it's side with an earth shaking thud.

Spoiler

ID# 40314 results:

Battle: 4 (+4=8) (11x13= 143 DMG)

Loot: 14 (250x5=1250 Col)

MOB: 2

Snow Beast: -62/250 (-143) DEADED 

Manta: 84/126 EN: 3/29  Hate: 2

Lessa: 85/85 | EN: 18/20 [+1 DMG next turn - heavy momentum] | Hate: 0

"Nice," the blonde called out, genuinely impressed by her partner's abilities. The woman managed to use her sword arts so effortlessly, managing to bring down the beast entirely by herself. "I suppose you didn't need my help after all." Lessa watched the blue-clad player for a moment, considering her own strengths. Sword arts, she was beginning to learn, was not one of them. She had been working closely with level-one players for so long, and her own skills had started to decline. When the sword arts had been released, she had spent no time experimenting with them. Now, she was falling behind.

"I need to work on my sword arts," she confessed suddenly. "Would you be up for tackling another mob or two? I mean, so long as we're out here?"

Edited by Lessa

Manta turned around to face the other party member. She truly hadn't expected this quest to be so easy. She could remember back when she had completed it with Ebony. It had been a long and harrowing experience, involving a lot of healing and being thrown around. It was hard to believe she had grown so much stronger in such a short amount of time. "You were a lot of help. I just got lucky this fight." She said, downplaying her own role in the fight, as hard as that was to do when the fight had been so short. "I'd love to fight some mobs with you while we're here. If you really want to."

"Fantastic," came her answer. "I would really appreciate that."

A sudden, frigid wind whipped between them, unsettling the fine layer of fresh snow, and swirling it about their boots. Lessa immediately regretted not thinking ahead, or bringing warmer attire. Her armor was her default, and she rarely thought to change out of it. But the thin fabric beneath her breastplate did little protect her from the cold. "Let's see what we can pick off as we walk back to town," she suggested. "Hot chocolate sounds really nice right now.

As if on cue, a small pack of wolves appeared only fifty feet off, in the direction from which she had come. "Convenient," she commented, before tightening her hold on her crimson sword. With only a sideways glance to ensure that her companion was ready, the girl flung herself at the pack, activating  <<Lightning>>, and garnering their attention immediately. But by the time they had organized, their pelts were already streaked with red.

Spoiler

{[40822] BD: 8. Attack successful. <<Lightning>> activated. 9x4=36. -7(wolf mit)=19.}

Lessa: 89/89 | 13/21 | H:1

Manta: ?

Wolf 1: 46/65 (-19)

Wolf 2: 46/65 (-19)

Wolf 3: 46/65 (-19)

Wolf 4: 46/65 (-19)

Wolves - DMG: 12 MIT: 17

Edited by Lessa

Manta wasn't an AOE fighter, her build was meant for one on one fighting. She would let Lessa focus on hitting all of the wolves, meanwhile she would take them out one at a time. If her energy permitted of course. Her next attack would use almost all of her energy. She charged at the first wolf, activating Neutron and stabbing into the wolf five times. It burst into blue and green pixels. Hopefully Lessa was doing better with her energy than Manta was.

Spoiler

ID# 41032 results:

Battle: 2 (+4)=6 Hit! (5x13=65-17=48)

Loot: 17= Mob health x5= 325 Col

MOB: 1

Lessa: 89/89 | 13/21 | H:1

Manta: 130/130 EN: 0/30 (-4+1)  H:1

Wolf 1: -6/65 (-48) Deaded

Wolf 2: 46/65

Wolf 3: 46/65

Wolf 4: 46/65

Edited by Manta Gaul

"Nice," came her distracted compliment as the young woman set up for her next attack. Now there were only three enemies, and their health was already nearing the yellow. One or two more solid hits, and she and her partner would be able to put them down for good. "Listen," she called suddenly. "I'm going to use another hard-hitting AOE. Should leave them very, very close to death. If you have at least one AOE in you, even a weak one, we should be able to end this pretty quickly."

The snow crunched underfoot as she launched herself at the remaining wolves. They mirrored her actions, all fighting back in perfect unison. Fortunately for the heavily-armored young woman, their movements were predictable, and she was able throw herself to the side at the last minute. Rather than striking her, the wolves struck her outstretched blade, which glowed a brilliant crimson in the falling snow as <<Fight Blade>> activated.

Spoiler

{[41134] BD: 9. MD: 5. Lessa's attack successful. 10x6=60-17(wolf mit)=43. Wolves' attack fails.}

Lessa: 89/89 | 2/21 (-12+1) | H:3

Wolf 1: Dead

Wolf 2: 3/65 (-43)

Wolf 3: 3/65 (-43)

Wolf 4: 3/65 (-43)

(Wasn't sure if you rolled for the wolves too, but they missed in my roll as well, so it doesn't matter too much!)

Edited by Lessa

Manta stepped back, her sword held at her side. They should have waited for her energy to regenerate before confronting another group of enemies. There wasn't much she could do, what with her energy being so low. She could take one of them out, but what would be the point of that? Lessa would finish them off with her next AOE. "Sorry, I'm out of energy, I cant use an AOE." She called out, waiting for Lessa to hurry up and finish the mobs.

Spoiler

Lessa: 89/89 | 2/21 (-12+1) | H:3

At her companion's words, Lessa grimaced. Energy. Crap, she cursed silently. Why had she not been paying closer attention to her own energy limits? "I'm about dry too," she muttered in reply, fighting to shove her own frustrations into the back of her mind. What a rookie mistake that had been. Imagine if she had made such an egregious error during a more important battle? Lives could have been lost due to her stupidity. I'll have to do better next time.

Luckily, the wolves appeared to be taking a breather as well, circling, but not attacking. It seemed that both women would survive to see the next round.

Spoiler

{[41679] BD: 4. MD: 1. Lessa's attack fails. Wolves' attack fails.}

Lessa: 89/89 | 2/21 (+1/-2) | H:3

Manta: 130/130 EN: 1/30  H:1

Edited by Lessa

It was a good thing that Manta had saved her energy, as Lessa was apparently low on energy too. This hadn't been a great idea, but now Manta had the energy required to take out the wolves by herself. She moved forwards, her blade glowing blue as she slashed along the wolves. One by one they burst into pixels. She sheathed her rapier, her energy quite literally completely gone. "That's that."

Spoiler

ID# 41683 results:

Battle: 10 Hit! (8 DMG) (AOE)

Loot: 5

MOB: 9

Lessa: 89/89 | 2/21 (+1/-2) | H:3

Manta: 130/130 EN: 0/30  H:2

Wolf 2: -5/65 (-8) DEADED

Wolf 3: -5/65 (-8) DEADED

Wolf 4: -5/65 (-8) DEADED

Edited by Manta Gaul

The pair was exhausted, that much could be understood just from looking at them. Their energy levels were incredibly low, but they had survived. Within Aincrad, that alone was quite a victory. The blonde heaved a heavy sigh, her chest rising and falling beneath her heavy breastplate, her breath hanging in a thin vapor just past her chapped lips. "Nicely done," she commented softly. "I don't know about you, but I think that I'm ready to head back." The ragged warrior took a few steps toward town, before glancing over her shoulder toward Manta. The white-haired woman had been an excellent companion, and Lessa had admired the strength and confidence with which she had handled herself. She's going to go far, the ex-Front Liner thought to herself.