[OP-F1] A Girl and A Spear [Complete]

((Open to anyone. Looking to start some long term IC friendships.))

Daire is dead.

Snow got the message early this morning. One of Daire's companions sent her the PM at 3:00AM. Alyssa's heart hung heavy at the news. Apparently, she fell to the 13th floor boss fight. Ironic that it just so happened to be Friday and the 13th of July. She stood in front of The Monument of Life, staring at it.

Last Chance - 7/13/27 (Floor 13)

Two years ago, Snow would have been in tears. Now, well... So many had fallen, that even the loss of her friend seemed dull. Her eyes burned, but she held back the tears. She got her crying done that night after the news. Her new resolve wouldn't let her cry for Daire. She had to be strong. She had to live for her best friend, no matter the cost. No more hiding. No more waiting in the Town of Beginnings for this horrible game to end. Snow had to live.

The young blonde bent at the knee and placed a single flower at the base of Monument. Several other players were able to afford permanent vanity items. Unfortunately, Snow's would only last 15 minutes before bursting into glimmering fragments and being lost to the world. As she stood, she silently promised to return with a permanent marker. Until then, Snow had some catching up to do.

She took a deep breath, equipped her starter weapon she had locked in storage for these two years, and made a beeline for the nearest city gate. There, she would begin the slow grind to catch up to the frontliners, unaware of the dangers posed to a level one player.

Edited by Snow

There was ample reason to be down on this floor, right? There had to be some sort of reason for Opal to be here. No matter her status, the woman would come by this floor every once in awhile to see if any new faces were attempting free murder for these boars. But by the off chance that she was able to catch and help players, she had come to know that people were just dreadfully unaware of their surroundings. 

Opal, Vice Commander of the Knights of the Blood Oath was now seeing another player do much the shame, and she merely shook her head. Donning the Blood Oath Armor, Opal spoke tapping the blonde woman on the shoulder, "Highly unadvisable unless you party up with a group of players with similar level or higher than your own to share the hate between the party and yourself. I can tell from your meager starting clothing that you have recently became involved with venturing out. I'd be willing to show you around if you are interested. My name is Opal..." Opal would have mentioned she was the Vice Commander, but while she felt pride and honor as Vice Commander, throwing titles and guild names would not help the matter any, so she simply gave a name. Her name.

Opal stood forward raising a hand in mid air and smiled at the woman as the Masamune X fell into her grasp. She shouldered the weapon, adorned in a rich elaborate saya and turned to face the woman, "A spear, huh? I know of another Spear Wielder that you might be interested in learning from. I can give you his contact information if you are interested in learning some techniques or tips from him." Opal offered a friendly smile. 

OOC: On whim~ Normally not fond of OPs, but long term female friendship sounds nice. 

It had only been a couple days earlier, at the very same spot he stood upon, that another inexperienced player fell to the wrath of the boars.  While Icarus might not have witnessed it with his own eyes, he did get to observe how it affected those around him who had watched the scene unfold; it was heartbreaking.  The loss of life - any loss of life - was a loss to the world and everyone experienced it in their own way.  Some chose to ignore it and bury it deep down where it would fester, some let their tears fall freely until they couldn't cry any longer, and then there were the others, like Icarus, who did what he could to make sure it didn't happen again.  If that meant standing guard at the gate to the Town of Beginnings and acting as a vigilant protector, keeping an eye on those who were over their head in trouble - so be it.  It was a small price to pay if it kept another life from being snuffed out too soon.

Icarus had started his own journey into the world of Aincrad recently but had the foresight to acquire some equipment before he rushed headlong into dangerous territory.  He had heard about the fickle nature of the combat system long ago and didn't want to leave his life up to chance.  Here we go, the blue haired man commented inwardly as he watched a young, blonde girl hurriedly exit the Town of Beginnings and right into the grasslands where many adventurers started their story.  By the look of her, she was as fresh as the vegetables he delivered this morning - not a lick of equipment aside from the starting gear all players had bestowed upon them.  Preemptively, the tall guardian in the plated red armor started to stretch out his arms and legs, guessing that he would soon have to kick into action and save the girl from the savage swine nestled all about the area.

However, it appeared she was not alone; a dark-haired woman wearing the red and white of the Knights of the Blood Oath followed after the blonde and engaged her in conversation.  Icarus smiled softly as the woman with the dangerously long sword commented on the girl's lack of gear and the dangers that awaited her; she had said everything he had been prepared to say, and then some.  He nodded and ceased his limbering activities, returning back to the statuesque role of watcher he had assumed before.

Drake was just wandering through the city, and decided to rest by the gate, when he heard someone talking about it being a bad idea to go it without a party, upon further investigation he saw the vice commander of The Knights of The Blood Oath. -hmm, wonder what's going on- Drake decided to closer to listen in but doesn't look except for the occasional glance

Snow was in mid jog for the archway leading to the fields when a hand tapped her shoulder. The girl slowed to a halt and spun on her heels. Her eyes held an aura of tenacity and anger not from this stranger, but from her repressed mourning of her closest friend. Snow scowled as the girl spoke. However, as this woman known as Opal continued, the gravity and truth of her words began to whittle away at Snow's blind frustrations. The look of anger melted from her features and exposed the tender, morose expression beneath her resolve.

"Thanks miss," Snow gave a slight bow of her head in respect. "I'm sorry, you're right. I've heard the stories from other acquaintances who stayed on the ToB like me. I-I..."

The young blonde felt a heaviness in her chest. Memories from when Daire and her first met flooded back to the surface from where she tried to keep them buried. The tears welled near her eyes, but the girl swiped them away with her arm before her weakness could be shown. She vowed to be stronger -- for Daire. 

"My friend died last night," the words came from Snow's lips softly and heavy with sorrow. "We made a promise long ago, when this nightmare began, if she ever died on the front lines, I would live for her."

Snow took a deep breath, looking up to the dark haired warrior and her menacing weapon.

"I haven't touched this spear in two years. I-I don't know what I'm doing and honestly... I'm scared." Snow's grip tightened on the wooden haft. "Miss Opal, I would be in your debt if you could help me. I don't want to stay here anymore. I don't want to keep pretending that one day it will just end. It's been two years, and they've only made it to the thirteenth floor where Dai--"

Snow clenched her teeth. Her friend's true name would not come out so easily. It was too soon.

"Where Last Chance fell..." Snow corrected.

Drake approached "could I help? Sorry, I just haven't found any good allies. And I always like to help anyone I can" Drake opens his menu to make sure he has everything "besides I need some more levels anyway, and it would be great to make some new allies" Drake smiles "sorry, I almost forgot to introduce myself, I'm Drake. Drake McGricken. Also, before you ask why I use a dagger, like everyone else does, I'm trying to be a rogue character, I might switch over to a tank later" Drake hold out his hand "nice to meet you." -well then, that was the most social I've been in my whole life.... Felt good.-

For the most part, he had made the first floor his home. The monsters were weak and the material gathering was easy compared to some of the higher levels, but he wasn't about to complain about that. After getting dressed for the day, Seul lazily made his way toward the town's gate. What he hadn't anticipated though was running into the Vice Commander of his guild as well as two other players he hadn't met before. It didn't look like the group was particularly busy either and it wasn't like the fields outside of town were going anywhere soon, so with a simple wave he wandered over to join in. "Hey, Vice Commander Opal and strangers- How's it going?"

Edited by Seul

Opal sighed, her gaze fell upon the broken features of her face. A heart that burned with so much passion had been released, those eyes, soon stained with tears. She understood the situation more clearly now and nodded, "It is one thing to follow in a friend's footsteps, to take up arms where they could not. But you also must remember, you are your own woman. You have your own path to set out on. I once followed in the path of a friend as well...when they had passed away. And it was a struggle...to live up to the standards of that person, to walk in their shoes. You must walk in your own shoes, do the best what is right for you."

The woman turned slightly, two others had joined in the conversation between Opal and the blonde. One of such people was Seul, a member of the Knights of the Blood Oath much like herself. The other player seemed to be new to this sort of life as well, much like the blonde. She smiled, her red lips curling. A hand on the shoulder of Seul, "This one here will be a great addition to any party. A tank in the making, Seul is also part of the same guild as I am. I can't teach you anything related to the spear, but I know I can help keep you safe. I would enjoy a more..." she looked at the two people in front of her, "...a more private audience with you later on. To talk about your friend. We have that much in common, and  I am sure we'll have a lot more as well once we talk." 

Opal shifted her weight and slid the slender blade over both shoulders that both arms locked over it, "The mobs here can't hurt me...and they will not hurt you, my friend." Opal allowed her sword to hit the ground as she brought up her menu and sent a trade over to the blonde spearwoman. With a gentle flick, she traded the girl:

-Trade-
x1 Mitigation Potion [+36 Mit] 

-

"If you wanna hunt boars and get a feel for combat, take that potion. Every strike against you will only deal one amount of damage. If you get too low on HP, Seul and Drake here will come to the rescue." She shot them both a look and nodded her head. 

Drake pulled out his knife and held it by the blade "yep, I'm a pretty good throw in real life and in this game so I can probably distract it but don't expect me to get too up close and personal with it" Drake smiles and puts it away "I mean I can't right now, I have no armor, I've been looking for a good cheap set but no luck" Drake shrugs "but oh well, this outfit is pretty light anyway"

Hikoru walked along, just finishing a kill on a small boar and grabbing Materials. He sighed and entered back into town, and he came along a small group of players with a few players that he had seen before: Drake, a young player who tried to snoop, but he seemed like an alright player for the most part, and Seul, a player that he had gone on a Dungeon Raid long ago, before he became the Master of Shadows, thanks to the player Lowenthal giving him the Unique Ability Shadowed Path. He came over silently, giving a few nods to the other players. 

"Hello, what seems to be going on here?" He asked silently. He wanted to see if he could help out in some way. If not, he would be fine with going back to the inn and rest up for tomorrow, then he planned to go onto another Quest. He nodded at Drake and Seul, whom he knew lightly on both, and they seemed like good players. Although Drake got on his nerves that one time, he got to know the player slightly, and he knew he was good at heart. Seul was the same way, and he just wanted to be on the front lines as most of them did. He gave another nod to a young level 1 girl, who seemed to be getting ready to go out for the first time. He gripped his Dagger for a moment, then sheathed it. He was in no need of it as of this moment, but if they were going out than he would need it then.

It wasn't Icarus' intention to eavesdrop on the conversation being shared among the congregation of players but it happened regardless.  Fortunately for him, he could not completely relate to the vacuous void that is created in oneself after the loss of a close, personal friend, but he was empathetic; as someone who has seen the aftermath of such a loss time and time again, he couldn't help but feel the weight of emptiness himself.  That wasn't what was happening here, though - a helping hand was being extended to a new player and he would be remiss if he did not extend his own.

The tall, blue haired warrior quietly stepped from the cobblestone walkway leading out of the town and onto the dirt path that led straight to the group of players.  It was likely they had made note of him coming from a mile away but as soon as he was within arm's reach of the blonde and the woman named as the Vice Commander of the Blood Oath, Icarus cleared his throat.  He presented himself as he would with any new acquaintance; his lean, heavily armored body, which stood rigid with formality, curved into a courteous bow low enough for his eyes to become hidden behind the veil of his blue hair.

"Pardon me, ladies, I do not mean to interrupt," he interjected, his voice calm and low, yet flowed without incidence.  His brilliant, emerald eyes seemed to brighten as he focused his gaze upon the blonde haired girl. "My name is Icarus and like you, miss, I'm a player who is just beginning his own journey.  If you would allow me, I'd like to join the party that appears to be forming.  I assure you that I will not be a burden and will carry my own weight without complaint."

His attention focused to the commanding woman with hair as black as oil.  "I don't have much in the way of references but I promise you that I am no danger to the girl or your guildmate.  If necessary, you can ask around the Church here in the Town of Beginnings, I am one of the players who has been helping the ladies and the orphans there since the beginning.  Just mention my name to the Sisters and they'll confirm."  She could ask the children, too, but he wasn't about to give up the pet name they know him by.

A menu appeared in front of Snow, one she had seen when shopping for food or accessories for her room at the Beginner's Refuge. This time, it held a potion of mitigation. Were it not for the late night messaging sessions with Daire and her fellow friends on the front lines, Snow would have been none the wiser.

"Thank you," The blonde hit accept, not wanting to be rude and refuse the charity.

Then, the crowd descended. Was this a sign? Everyone was so friendly and willing to help. Was this was it was like to be out there fighting? In the Town of Beginnings, everything functioned like a normal city. In fact, it was like the downtown marketplace in Kyoto she remembered. The only difference was the thick red line between the fighters and the "dead weight" as they so affectionately called those too scared to take up arms. Perhaps she should have fought sooner? Maybe then... Maybe then her friend's name wouldn't be on that monument.

"I want to do it," Snow stated firmly, her knuckles white from gripping her spear. "Teach me how to fight."

She looked to those gathered with fierce determination. Snow was done playing house. It was time she joined the battle for freedom.

Phillia watched from afar and saw what appeared to be an over-emotional girl. "They are sad at first then have a burst of determination later, haven't I watched this in an anime before? At least she's more unique than those flat characters, at least I hope so." The bluenette approaches Snow with rapier in hand. "So you want to learn how to fight? Here's a tip, don't die on your first day." Her tone of speech sounded blunt and cold, something a stereotypical 'Girl' wouldn't have. (It's more stereo typically male than female).

Edited by Phillia

Seul had been listening quietly as everything that followed his arrival transpired rather quickly. With each passing second more players joined the conversation and took it upon themselves to offer their blade in assistance to this girl. It wasn't like he was planning to spend his day watching over some player he had only just met, but Opal's kind words and expectations made it difficult to refuse even if he wanted to. His attention moved from one face to the next; taking note of how familiar he was with some of the people in attendance before ultimately resting on the blonde. With so many players available it would seem he wouldn't actually need to step in at all during the training session if everything went smoothly. "Fighting isn't that difficult... You just have to get used to it I guess." 

Opal looked to Snow and smiled, her full red lips curving as she seemed more than willing and determined to start. Many others players have stepped forward among them as well, notable a man named Icarus. Blood red armor adorned a strong physical body, hair as blue as an sapphire and eyes deep and green as emeralds. He was a handsome portrayal of a heroic fighter, but he was bold as well. He made mention that he helped the Church, no doubt he probably meant the orphaned children that were too afraid, or not mentally prepared for this world. She had heard that a handful of people were helping out with them, if this man was also one of them, then Opal had no problems with him joining the party as well.

But this was Snow's first outing, all of this was her decision. She had a plethora of people to have her back. And Opal, while silent through most of this could only smile. It was times like these that her faith in humanity remained strong. She had seen the horrors of what people could, sicken with evil thoughts and desires. But there was also warmth and beauty in the lives of those lived with bravery, and justice. Opal...she could not live in that light though. She was forever that loathsome gargoyle who burns in hell, but secretly yearns for heaven. 

"You all seem like capable people to help this woman out. There would be no challenge if I stepped in, so I will lead it to you all to help her. I shall follow you into the fields to make sure nothing happens, but there is more than enough of you to take on the mobs in this area. I will provide assistance with my healing items should the need arise. I don't know some of your face--"

Opal was cut off by the small girl she had met on another floor, Philia was her name. Opal's expression changed when she heard her comment towards the spear woman. She shook her head and looked to her, "Philia, sometimes you need to show a bit more tactful decorum towards people. Let's remember that we all have to start somewhere, and she won't die on her first day out. There is a wonderful group of people here to help her." Opal placed a hand on Philia's head and shuffled her hair, "I apologize on her behalf. We are still working on manners." Opal offered her a small smile to the young girl, and brought back up the subject on taking on the mobs. 

"It would be best if someone took the lead for now and get some hate generated at a boar. Someone with a stunning art should also be first or second so you can get some easy hits on the beasts." Opal offered some service and advice to the group, but they seemed to have a general understand on things went. 

Hikoru just smiled and laughed. He was happy that so many players were glad to help a new player. He would love to help more than stand in back to let the other players, but he knew that if he was to come and help with this, he would be one of the main players to take out these creatures, and he didn't want to spoil the fun. He would stay here just in case things get hairy, but he would do his best to stay out of the fight, and let the other players have a change to show their stuff to each other, and help to make allies from the players around him.

"Thank you everyone. Let me start the party," Snow chimed in. "I can do that much at least."

The young girl propped her spear against the crook of her shoulder and gestured her hand to produce the in game menu. She recalled the people who had introduced themselves and began to sent the invites. The first was issued to Opal. She stated she would take a passive role and only support if needed, but having Snow's health visible in the hud would be helpful. Next, the eager giant with the tiny blade by the name of Drake. His outward appearance seemed threatening, intimidating even, but chances needed to be taken. He would be a strong ally or the last thing she saw. Third, the blue haired paladin by the name of Icarus. His manners and poise bled an aura of trust and good will. His presence alone was comforting.

Snow then closed her menu, the party at a full team of four. The others who had gathered had yet to share their names and out of them, the three chosen seemed most willing to help. The smaller girl was crass and blunt. The other two gentlemen who seemed to know Opal seemed quite content watching and likely providing advice from a distance.

Snow looked to her party as the acceptance prompt appeared to them.

"If it's alright with you, I want to draw the first aggro," she asked. "Silly, I know, but I want to take my first step into the fight with confidence." 

((OOC: Per Icarus' suggestion below, someone may initiate combat before my next post. Snow will understand.))

Edited by Snow

Drake saw an alert pop up and opened it to find the party request

ALERT:PARTY REQUEST

sender:Snow

Recipients:Opal, Icarus, Drake_McGricken

ACCEPT         REFUSE

Drake hit the accept button, seeing three names pop up beneath his, the first is Snows, then Opals, and Icarus'. Drake puts his dagger away and stretches "all right, can't wait to go see some boars turn to shards with my dagger in their faces" Drake grins at the thought

Icarus nodded solemnly as the blonde haired girl announced her overwhelming determination and intent to form a party.  It was only a short wait before a prompt inviting him to the party popped up in his field of view; it was a simple box titled "Invite" along with a short blurb about the requesting sender, Snow.  So, her name is Snow, then?  He hadn't caught it before if she had mentioned it to the woman named Opal.  Without hesitation, he lifted his arm and extended a single finger to press the blue encircled circle on the left hand side of the prompt to accept the invite.  His HUD was soon filled with the names of those who already had accepted the request; Snow, the party leader, and Drake, the incredulously tall dagger-wielder.  He had seen Drake before, nearly in this very same spot but the slender gargantuan hadn't given up his name.

"I would advise against that if you do not have any mitigation, Miss Snow.  These beasts have a random chance to critically strike and if one were to do so on the first round of combat, there would be nothing we could do to intervene.  I would suggest acquiring a few pieces of low level armor before you attempt to take one of these swine head on; they are deceptively strong."  His voice came out strong and stern.  It was not Icarus' intent to lecture but it would have been terribly traumatic if she, after her great expression of emotion and resolve, charged head long into a boar to be immediately pixelated by an unlucky hit.  He couldn't just stand by and let the girl do something like that, no matter how purposeful she felt in that elated moment.  Of course, he had no knowledge of the trade that had taken place between Snow and Opal before he joined their entourage.

"Until that time," he said calmly, extending his hand outward to meet the materialization of his favored sword, Alondite, as it appeared before him.  The tip of the blade was positioned in the soft, artificial grass aside his foot, leaving the greatsword to stand tall and rise vertically until its handle was met by the grip of his armored hand.  The weapon itself must have been nearly six feet in length from pommel to the far edge of its blade.  "You should allow one of your more armored companions take the brunt of the attacks."