[PP-F4] A Deal's a Deal <<Absolute Zero>>

His deal with Shield had caused Pinball a good bit of worry. It wasn't that he was worried about following through with it; no, he had already done that a while ago. Shield had already received his payment. It was calling Shield in to follow through with his half of the deal that was the hard part. Pinball stood on the teleportation pad, working up his courage. It's fine, he told himself, he just said he was going to go training in-between sessions. Just message himWith a shaking hand (partially from the cold), he opened his menu, shifting through the interface until he opened up the messenger. Typing up his message as quickly as possible, trying to avoid typos, he clicked send. It was sent in an instant, and Pinball couldn't help but flinch at the sound of it. Now, he thought, rubbing his cold hands together, it's time to wait for him to show up. Maybe there's somewhere warm around here. 

Spoiler

Hey, are you ready to do that quest now? Absolute Zero is alright, yeah? If you're cool with that, we can meet up on the Fourth Floor. The settlement you spawn in. 

Player Stats: 

Spoiler

Level: 37
Health: 740 | Energy: 74
DMG: 15 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 3

Skills:

Combat skills:
►<<Charge>> [23/50]: Rank 3 - Expert

Weapon skills:
►<<2H Assault Spear>> [50/50]: Rank 5 - Grandmaster

Armor skills:
►N/A

Extra skills:
►<<Familiar Mastery: Fighter>> [18/18]: Rank 3 - Grandmaster
►<<Martial Arts>> [0/50]: N/A

Utility Skills:
►<<Fishing>>

Modifiers:
►[Active] <<2H Assault Spear: Ferocity>>: +1 Base DMG
►[Active] <<Bullrush>>

Inventory
»[Equipped] [Demonic] Naughty or Nice Blade: +2 Freeze, Phase, Cursed
»[Equipped] [Perfect] Leather Armor of the Amatuer Duelist: +3 EVA
»[Equipped] [Perfect] Warrior’s Focus: +3 ACC

Edited by Pinball

[Quest Details]

Spoiler

<< Absolute Zero >>

This Quest Takes Place on Floor 4.

This Quest is repeatable for Zero Degree Icicle only.

wQPAcxgg6q3BgxGWwQGpGM_nSWIlwOSvVtaHw9SB

It is said that many years ago a Respawning Boss was found by the name <<Avalanche>>... however players that have fought it before was surprised to not see it one day, eventually the boss was found again… but its disappearance worried many… they began to wonder if the defeat into floor 20 began to sink into the game changing everything as they knew it… well, they we’re right. As they explored the area they found a lake that seemed innocent enough, however as a group of players grew closer and closer the evolved form of Avalanche has rose out of the water and stood proudly in the center of the lake ready to attack the party… unknowing what to do the party fled to be able to share the tale and share the information about the new boss… “Avalanche the Absolute Zero”.

-----

<< Avalanche the Absolute Zero >>

HP: 850 - MIT: 75 - DMG: 200 - Freeze: 2 (Will Freeze on Natural Rolls of 8-10) - ACC: 3 - EVA: -2

Damage Increase on a Natural Roll of 9: 50 - Damage Increase on a Natural Roll of 10: 100

Abilities:

You must roll for this boss on a separate roll.

<<Grand Slam>> : On a CD of 12, this boss will raise its arm and slam against everyone in your party, dealing damage to everyone and freezing them in place.

<<Zero Degree Weather>> : The boss radiates negative weather that forces the players to have -2 in their evasion, this cannot be avoided with Survival.

-----

Rewards:

2 SP - 2500 Col - Zero Degree Icicle

Zero Degree Icicle (T2 Perfect Weapon of Choice) - Freeze / Accuracy / Accuracy - After one thread of use, the weapon will melt and become unusable.

With his Terra Firma scale neatly packed away and his slime-farming done, Shield felt sufficiently prepared for the next stage of the deal with the younger player who had gotten him the scale in the first place. He checked his stats one more time on the way out the door. In that little time, he had already gained another level. Such progress was considerably slower than it had once been, but such was always the case with power scaling in games.

He checked his messages, noticing the correspondence from Pinball. Quickly, he penned a response, saying that he was already on the way and would meet him in Snowfrost within the hour. The journey to Taft was a slow one, but Shield had found enough shortcuts by now to know how to cut travel times in half. He arrived just before the hour mark, making sure to equip the long, tube-shaped 'sweater' he had commissioned for Lilith so the serpent would not suffer ill effects from the cold. She happily returned to his sleever and huddled there in the dark.

Spotting Pinball, Shield strode forward and raised his hand in short greeting. "Are you ready to move? I'm no stranger to this quest, so it shouldn't be hard to find the ice monster."

Consumed:

Immolation Potion +2 - +30 Thorns

Edited by Shield

After receiving Shield's letter, he nodded, letting out a small sigh of relief. That wasn't so bad, he thought. Rubbing his hands together before shoving them back in his jacket pockets, Pinball pulled his hood up and trudged through the snow over to the settlement's only inn. He didn't go inside. Instead, he leaned against the wall to the right of the door, waiting for Shield in the snow. As he waited, he'd occasionally walk around in circles, sometimes looping around the relatively small settlement. At one point, Pinball dropped down onto the ground, and started making a snow angel, with a weirdly serious look on his face; as if the fate of the world depended on the quality of his romp in the snow. That was when Shield showed up. Pinball shot up, snow cascading down his hair and back as he struck his hand out, his face bright red, even as Shield was doing so himself. "Yes," he responded a bit too quickly, "let's go. I'm ready. Lead the way.

Shield decided not to make any comments about the snow angel, nor did he laugh at Pinball for killing a little time. It was honestly a little refreshing. If there was one thing that was heartbreaking to Shield during his experiences, it was watching players who were little older than kids themselves having to spend all of their time being adults for the sake of survival. It was rare that a more child-like occurrence intruded upon his notice, but it wasn't an unwelcome sight.

On the outside, he remained impassive, not wanting to make Pinball feel he was being mocked or judged. As they began to walk, he pulled out details of the quest. The trip to the regions where the Avalanche quests bosses spawned were becoming muscle memory at this point. His fet carried him without stumbling in the snow and without showing signs of cold susceptibility. His Survival skill saw to that.

"You're going to have a harder time moving around," Shield began, hitting the key details in a brief manner. "I'm sure you're already aware, but it's an easy thing to forget in the middle of things. The worst you should get is a little splash damage from crits. That being said, don't underestimate that Grand Slam ability. The last time I did this, it hit us about three times. That was just a stroke of bad luck, but such things are always possible. Do you have healing potions ready just in case? You will take the full brunt of his damage when he uses that."

Edited by Shield

Pinball was happy to move along. As they left the area, he kicked a bit of snow over the snow angel before jogging back up to Shield. At least he didn't notice, he thought. He trudged through the snow, occasionally tripping over himself as he walked. He couldn't help but notice how Shield didn't seem to be bothered by the cold and snow. He listened, surprised at what the man told him. I actually didn't know that, Pinball realized. This is going to be harder to fightHe nodded, then replied, "Yeah, I have a couple of healing potions." Benjamin had crafted a whole ton of potions for him, of a wide variety. "I also have a damage consumable I can eat really quick. I don't have any mitigation anyways. Do you think I should?" Pinball, still thinking about what this Grand Slam ability could possibly entail, kept walking. He equipped his spear as he walk, as well as his combat gear, which he wore under the white snow jacket. 

Shield scratched his chin a little, pondering whether it would be necessary to beef up Pinball's defenses. "In all honesty, you should be alright. Even if you need to burn a few rounds healing yourself up, I'll still be dealing my thorns damage pretty consistently." The houses of Snowfrost slowly shrank into the distance behind them, and the endless icy fields of the fourth floor inched by. Stands of trees and patches of forest grew and overtook them as they walked further and further from civilization.

"If you're concerned, you're more than welcome to change up your gear," Shield added, indicating that they still had some distance to walk. "You should be in good shape, and worst case scenario, if you have a Teleport Crystal on hand, you can TP out and we can make another clean run at it with better gear. No shame in having to turn tail if turning tail keeps you alive to fight another Day."

The teenager wasn't terribly opposed to buffing himself for the fight, but he'd much rather save the consumables he did have for tougher fights. The only thing he'd be eating was one of his damage consumables, and maybe drinking one of Benjamin's weaker potions, so that he'd actually be able to put a dent in the monster's armor (if it had any, Pinball didn't know much about the quest). The way Shield made it sound, they were going to be fighting a pretty solid enemy. "Yeah, I'll be fine," he said, knowing full well how useful tanks were in this kind of situation, "I'm fine with healing myself up mid-fight. Nothing new." His thoughts momentarily drifted back to King Croaksworth, but he shook it off and kept walking. Shield told him that if he were concerned, he could change his gear. "I- I don't actually have any other set," he laughed. "I've had this same exact armor since I first started trying to level up in earnest." He nodded, rubbing the back of his neck with a cold hand. "I have a Teleportation Crystal with me. It shouldn't be too tough." As they walked, Pinball pulled out one of Benjamin's lesser damage potions, as well as one of his fizzy damage ciders, and drank them both. 

Consumed: T2 Meal - Apple Cider: +2 DMG (-20 MIT) [#100487-2]
Consumed: T1 Potion - Lesser Burning Edge: +1 DMG [#99740-2]

Player Stats: 

Spoiler

Level: 37
Health: 740 | Energy: 74
DMG: 15 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 3

Skills:

Combat skills:
►<<Charge>> [23/50]: Rank 3 - Expert

Weapon skills:
►<<2H Assault Spear>> [50/50]: Rank 5 - Grandmaster

Armor skills:
►N/A

Extra skills:
►<<Familiar Mastery: Fighter>> [18/18]: Rank 3 - Grandmaster
►<<Martial Arts>> [0/50]: N/A

Utility Skills:
►<<Fishing>>

Modifiers:
►[Active] <<2H Assault Spear: Ferocity>>: +1 Base DMG
►[Active] <<Bullrush>>

Inventory
»[Equipped] [Demonic] Naughty or Nice Blade: +2 Freeze, Phase, Cursed
»[Equipped] [Perfect] Leather Armor of the Amatuer Duelist: +3 EVA
»[Equipped] [Perfect] Warrior’s Focus: +3 ACC

Battle Ready
»[x2] Teleportation Crystal 
»[x3] Greater Curative Potion: +120 HP 

Recovery ID#: 100700 - Craft: 9 [+3 EN]
Action: Focused Howl > Avalanche [-7 EN]

[H:7] Shield - HP: 1670/1670 | EN: 142/146 | DMG: 2 | MIT: 211 | EVA: -3 | THN: 99 | ENV: [9-10] 18/4 | BH: 83 | HLR: 135/4 | REC: 3 | LD: 8 | PRO: 0 | TNT
[H:0] Pinball [-2 EVA]

<< Avalancheo >> HP850/850 | MIT: 75 | DMG: 200 - BD [9: +50, 10: +100] | Freeze: BD [8-10] | ACC: 3 | EVA: -2

Abilities:

Spoiler

<<Grand Slam>> : On a CD of 12, this boss will raise its arm and slam against everyone in your party, dealing damage to everyone and freezing them in place.
<<Zero Degree Weather>> : The boss radiates negative weather that forces the players to have -2 in their evasion, this cannot be avoided with Survival.

Shield tilted his head a little as he thought over the situation. They were coming up on a frozen lake which was very familiar to Shield by now. "Unless you are continually frozen by the boss' attacks, you'll have plenty of time to beat a retreat. That being said, I highly doubt it will be necessary." He came up short, looking ahead at the solid wall of ice that rose up from the tundra. "Get yourself ready."

No sooner had he spoken than the ground began to shake. Fissures began snaking their way across the surface of the white, frozen surface of the water, and with shattering as of glass, the entire lake seemed to heave upward. Chunks of frozen lake water crashed down around them, and as the thick armed ice elemental waded its way to shore, Shield strode slowly forward, filling his lungs with frigid air. With a burst of sound, he shouted out across the snow and ice fragments. "Long time no see! Let's see if you fare any better than last time!" The sunken, hollow eye sockets narrowed as the squinted down at Shield. "He's all yours," Shield said over his shoulder.

Edited by Shield

The colossal ice elemental that appeared caused Pinball's breath to catch in his throat. In that moment, he realized, I might be a little in over my head. Regardless, Pinball hefted his spear, taking a single hop backwards as Shield bellowed his challenge. As soon as Shield's words met his ears, Pinball charged. His familiar, Zomekko, enveloped his weapon in an aura of shadow, the spear itself glowing a bright purple with the activation of Dimension Stampede. His boots soared across the snow covered ground, covering the distance between the monster and the player in an instant. With a loud grunt, Pinball stabbed at Avalanche, his spear flashing across the beast's sides four times, leaving deep red stab wounds across it with each hit. He concluded with the jumping slash, leaving a single, vertical slash across the middle of its torso. Pinball hit the ground and immediately ran back to Shield, casting cautious glances back at the mob as he went. 

Spoiler

Action Taken: Sword Art - [Dimension Stampede] Hit! [-17EN] / Charge! +3 Base
Avalanche: ID# 100701  BD: 2+3+2= 7 (Hit!) ~ 18+3= 21*15= 315-75= 240 DMG 

[H:7] Shield - HP: 1670/1670 | EN: 142/146 | DMG: 2 | MIT: 211 | EVA: -3 | THN: 99 | ENV: [9-10] 18/4 | BH: 83 | HLR: 135/4 | REC: 3 | LD: 8 | PRO: 0 | TNT
[H:1] Pinball - HP: 740/740 | EN: 57/74 | DMG: 18 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 1 

<< Avalancheo >> HP: 610/850 | MIT: 75 | DMG: 200 - BD [9: +50, 10: +100] | Freeze: BD [8-10] | ACC: 3 | EVA: -2

Abilities:

Spoiler

Edited by Pinball

Passive [+1 EN] Battle Healing [+77 HP] Recovery ID#: 100702 - Craft: 7 [+3 EN]

Action: Frozen

[H:7] Shield - HP: 1670/1670 | EN: 145/146 | DMG: 2 | MIT: 181 | EVA: -1 | THN: 99 | ENV: [9-10] 18/4 | BH: 77 | HLR: 135/4 | REC: 3 | LD: 8 | PRO: 0 | TNT [FRZ]
[H:0] Pinball - HP: 740/740 | EN: 57/74 | DMG: 18 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 1 

<< Avalanche >> HP486/850 | MIT: 75 | DMG: 200 - BD [9: +50, 10: +100] | Freeze: BD [8-10] | ACC: 3 | EVA: -2
ID# 100703 results: Battle: 6 [+3+3=16 - Hit! 200-181=19 dmg + FREEZE, THN: 99 dmg] Craft: 1 [No Grand Slam]

Abilities:

Spoiler

Shield could not help but be impressed. In their last fight, Pinball had fumbled in the beginning, and that was after a far less dramatic entrance than this had been. "Nice work," he barked, keeping his eyes on Avalanche. "Stay focused and don't let yourself get rattled. We'll get through this in no time."

His sword was out, and he was preparing to counter whatever strike was coming his way. As the enemy swung its great club-like fist, he ducked behind his shield, attempting to absorb the worst of the blow and counter the rest with his sword, but he missed his mark. The damage of the hit was negligible, but he could already see ice crystals creeping around the edges. It had activated its Freeze.

"Sit tight," he called out. "This is going to hold me immobile for a minute, but not for long. Keep it up, and don't get distracted."

Edited by Shield

Pinball grinned at the phrase, quickly spinning around on his heel, lowering his spear once more, this time the blade dragging along the snow. "Right!" As he looked back to Avalanche, the hulking behemoth raised a giant fist, taking a heavy swing at Shield. Pinball shrank inwards as he heard the crash of ice on metal. Looking closely, he saw bits of ice creeping up his legs and forming around his arms. Shield reassured him, but Pinball grit his teeth. No, don't worry, he told himself, when have you ever seen this guy take a nasty hit? He'll be finePinball turned his attention back to the monster in front of him, launching himself into another attack. Much like the hit before it, Pinball attacked the monster, lowering its health, though not nearly as much as the first hit. Still, it was something, and Pinball made his way back over to the frozen Shield. "You alright?

Spoiler

Action Taken: Sword Art - [Dimension Stampede] Hit! [+1 EN, -17 EN] 
Avalanche: ID# 100740  BD: 7 (Hit!) ~ 18*15= 270-75= 195 DMG 

H:7] Shield - HP: 1670/1670 | EN: 145/146 | DMG: 2 | MIT: 181 | EVA: -1 | THN: 99 | ENV: [9-10] 18/4 | BH: 77 | HLR: 135/4 | REC: 3 | LD: 8 | PRO: 0 | TNT [FRZ]
[H:2] Pinball - HP: 740/740 | EN: 41/74 | DMG: 18 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 1 

<< Avalanche >> HP: 291/850 | MIT: 75 | DMG: 200 - BD [9: +50, 10: +100] | Freeze: BD [8-10] | ACC: 3 | EVA: -2

Abilities: 

Spoiler

Edited by Pinball

Passive [+1 EN] Battle Healing [+77 HP] Recovery ID#: 100742 - Craft: 6 [+3 EN]

Action: Parry [-4 EN] [Justified Riposte]

[H:7] Shield - HP: 1670/1670 | EN: 145/146 | DMG: 2 | MIT: 181 | EVA: -1 | THN: 99 | ENV: [9-10] 18/4 | BH: 77 | HLR: 135/4 | REC: 3 | LD: 8 | PRO: 0 | TNT [FRZ]
[H:2] Pinball - HP: 740/740 | EN: 41/74 | DMG: 18 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 1 

<< Avalanche >> HP: 192/850 | MIT: 75 | DMG: 200 - BD [9: +50, 10: +100] | Freeze: BD [8-10] | ACC: 3 | EVA: -2
ID# 100741 results: Battle: 7 [+3+3=13 - Hit! 200-181=19 dmg, THN: 99 dmg] Craft: 2 [No Grand Slam]

Spoiler

Slowly, ice melt began trickling out of the cracks between the crystals that covered Shield's form. With a crack, he snapped one arm free, and then the other. With another swing of Avalanche's massive fist struck Shield squarely center of mass, and the rest of the crystals fell away. In a flash, Shield's health had already ticked back up to full. The same could not be said for the elemental.

"I'm fine," he said, more peeved that this fight had started so much like the last one, though thankfully it was only himself who had been frozen as opposed to the whole party. "One more hit should do the trick. Make it happen!" With that, he lowered himself into a proper defensive stance, his sword at the ready. His dark eyes held the monstrous adversary in their icy gaze, unyielding in their focus and intensity. "He's dropping faster than expected. With a big target like that, we're in pretty good shape, I'd say."

Edited by Shield

He leapt backwards as the Avalanche's fist struck Shield's armor, watching as the ice encompassing him shattered into fragments, and once more, the tank was free. Pinball glanced over to the monster itself as Shield spoke, nodding. "Yeah," he repeated, "we should be good." Pinball kicked the snow in front of him, like a batter coming in to hit. Then, in a flash, Pinball was off, leaving Shield behind as he lashed out with his spear, hoping to kill the monster in front of him; the mob's health was low, and Pinball was confident he'd be able to finish the fight in another good hit. In a flash, he landed four stabs into the monster's core in rapid succession. The force of the blows pushed him back, kicking up snow, but he jumped forward, his spear lifted above his head. The spear head ripped through the Avalanche's torso, ripping through ice and sending fragments flying through the air. 

The monter's hand fell loose at its side, hitting the ground and sending up a burst of snow. It slouched, and almost paused for a moment. Its form shimmered, and it shattered, the mob's remains blown away by the icy wind. Pinball took a step back, taking in a deep breath of the frigid air. 

Spoiler

Action Taken: Sword Art - [Dimension Stampede] Hit! [+1 EN, -17 EN] 
Avalanche: ID# 100744  BD: 4+3+2= 9 (Hit!) ~ 18*15= 270-75= 195 DMG 

[H:7] Shield - HP: 1670/1670 | EN: 145/146 | DMG: 2 | MIT: 181 | EVA: -1 | THN: 99 | ENV: [9-10] 18/4 | BH: 77 | HLR: 135/4 | REC: 3 | LD: 8 | PRO: 0 | TNT 
[H:3] Pinball - HP: 740/740 | EN: 25/74 | DMG: 18 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 1 

<< Avalanche >> HP: 0/850 | MIT: 75 | DMG: 200 - BD [9: +50, 10: +100] | Freeze: BD [8-10] | ACC: 3 | EVA: -2

Abilities:

Spoiler

Edited by Pinball

Swapping Gear

- Spirit Plate
- Stinging Nettle

+ Seeking Aura
+Raw Passion

In front of the players, a congratulatory window burst into view, filling the air where the Avalanche had once stood. With the threat gone, Shield relaxed his stance and began navigating his menus. "Not a bad run," he said with a nod, his eyes already preoccupied with the items he was swapping in and out. His armor was shortly replaced by a pendant and his lucky searching earring. "I think that was the cleanest run at any of the Avalanche bosses I've been through yet."

With his attire adjusted, he turned to face Pinball, extending his fist in calm triumph. "Well, we have our options now. Would we rather find some more mobs to farm, or should we head up to the twenty second floor again and scout for chests? Our obligations to one another are officially fulfilled, but I have no objection to looking around a little longer. Might as well get the most out of our outing."

He turned back to Shield, who, though seemed pleased with the fight's turn-out, was already focused on swapping out his gear. Pinball made his way back over to the tank, using his spear for support. "That wasn't that bad," he replied, "but I feel like it might have been a bit of a waste of a consumable." He shrugged. Looking back to where the Avalanche once stood, Pinball copied Shield by swiping open his inventory. Pinball swapped out his Accuracy trinket for his searching cloak, the raggedy black bit of cloth hanging low over his eyes. He cast a quick glance about the clearing, painfully aware of his non-existent supply of Tier 1 materials. Finding nothing, he returned his attention to the man in front of him. "I'm fine with anything. We can go up to the twenty-second and look for the chest like last time, if you're up for it. It'll really just be me following you around while you pull it up.

Unequipped Warrior's Focus: -3 ACC
Equipped Cloak of the Harbingers: +3 LD  

Edited by Pinball

Shield shrugged. "It's easy to say in hindsight that something was a waste," he said offhandedly, motioning for them to head out. Trudging through the snow, he started them back off towards Snowfrost. "Like I said, my last fight with the fully powered Avalanche, it didn't go so smoothly. I was frozen no fewer than three times."The journey back to town was laborsome but uneventful. Shield stepped into the teleportation plaza and called out to the interface. "Teleport Coral!"

He made no waste in heading towards the nearest of the lakes. If there was a chance to find a chest, it was going to be near a landmark of some sort. Although things did spawn out in the wild, they were fewer and further between. As they came up to the side of the water, things did not seem so promising just yet. His earring was completely unchanged, no sign of detection of anything of value.

"Hey, sit tight," he said to Pinball, holding his hand out. "This may not work out perfectly, but I'm going to give something a shot." He scrolled through his menus and tapped icons until a fishing rod materialized in his hand. "Stand back. If I fish up anything threatening, make for the other side of the lake."

Fishing:

ID# 100817 results: Craft: 1 - Boss Monster

[H:0] Shield - HP: 1022/1460 | EN: 145/146 | DMG: 1 | MIT: 0 | EVA: 0 | THN: 30 | BH: 73 | HLR: 135/4 | LD: 11 | PRO: 3

Boss Fish    - HP: 1430/1460 | DMG: 438 | MIT: 73 - MOB: 8 [Hit! 438 dmg, THN: 30 dmg]

No sooner had Shield cast out his line than a monstrous fish leaped out of the water and grabbed the lure. Shield sighed. "Well, that figures. The other fight went too smoothly." He turned to Pinball once again and pointed to the other side of the lake. "I'm going to teleport over there. I'll see you there."

With that, the fish charged, its jaws gaping wide and clamping down with serrated, shark-like teeth onto Shield's arm. His health plummeted, dipping down by nearly a third.

One more hit and I'll be below half. I can't let that happen.

He began immediately flipping through menus to take out one of his stashed teleport crystals.

Edited by Shield

Pinball followed Shield back to town, grinning as he listened to him tell him about his experience fighting Avalanche, though secretly embarrased by Shield telling him it was easy in hindsight to say something was a waste. There was truth in those words, and because of it, he felt like he was being scolded. Pinball walked a bit behind the man, jogging every now and then to keep up with the man who seemed to glide through the snow, sure-footed and never tripping. 

When they arrived at Coral, Pinball expected it to go much like it had on their first quest together. Shield would find the chest, then they would go their seperate ways. Simple. However, his earring (much to Pinball's disappointment; he kind of liked the glowing accessory) didn't glow like it had on their earlier expedition. Pinball paused, his eyebrows raising as he pulled out a fishing rod. Pinball was a fisher himself, and his luck was... not very good, to say the least. "Hey," he began, "I wouldn't-" but it was too late. A monster burst forth from the water, and Shield took a heavy hit from the creature. Pinball winced, but the man seemed relatively calm about it all. "Alright," Pinball nodded, "I'll meet you over there." Pinball jogged off to where Shield said he would teleport to. 

Passive: Healer [+135 HP] Battle Healing [+73 HP]

Post Action: Teleporting to other side of the lake - Escaped Combat

Items Expended: Teleport Crystal x 1

[H:0] Shield - HP: 1230/1460 | EN: 145/146 | DMG: 1 | MIT: 0 | EVA: 0 | THN: 30 | BH: 73 | HLR: 135/4 | LD: 11 | PRO: 3

Boss Fish    - HP: 1430/1460 | DMG: 438 | MIT: 73

With a snap of his fingers, Shield's serpent familiar popped up out of his collar and sank her fangs into his neck, injecting him with the healing 'venom' that she naturally produced. "Thanks, Lilith." His hand closed around the blue crystal that formed in his hand, and as he crushed it, his body dissolved into the air just in time to miss the snapping jaws of the massive fish monster. He rematerialized just in front of Pinball, sighing with slight exasperation.

"Waste of resources, but there was nothing for it. Without my gear even I have weaknesses." With that, he turned to the other player. "Shall we keep hunting then? There's bound to be something around here." He turned towards the lake, following its edge and keeping his eyes on the water to see if his eye could catch sight of anything submerged below the surface. "There's got to be something around here."

Pinball jogged through the woods, occasionally drifting off to run beside the lake as he made his way over to where Shield had pointed out earlier. He said he'd be over here, Pinball thought in-between breaths, once again pushing out of the woods. He came to a stop, taking a deep breath of air as he looked back, measuring the distance he had run. I'm pretty fast, he realized, patting his chest. But you're weak as hell. In a flash of light, Shield materialized in front of him. Pinball flinched, staggering backwards, lowering his spear. "Jesus!" Pinball looked behind him, then across the lake. He grinned, then nodded. "Yeah, yeah," he replied, "we should keep hunting. Not fish, though. I think my bad luck rubbed off on you a bit." Pinball shrugged, putting his spear back in place to use as a walking stick. Looking at the weapon now, he figured he was lucky the lengthy spear hadn't snagged in anything as he had ran. "No more fish. I'm very worried about the amount of damage your boss fish does.

• 4 weeks later...

Rolling for Chest:

Roll ID#: 101487 - Loot: 8+8=16 - Success!

Shield sighed. "I hear you on the fish. There are ways now to avoid fishing up hostiles, but not on this floor. We'd have to jump down to a 'one' floor for it." As he thought through potential future searches, his earring lit properly this time. Glancing down towards the water's edge, he saw his quarry, a sharply outlined shape in the murky mess of the shallows. He strode out, grabbing the chest's handle and hauling against the resistance of the water and the suction of the muck of the lake floor. In a few moments, after some straining, the corner of the chest broke the surface of the water.

"Looks like we got a little extra out of the deal anyway, even with the giant fish along the way," he said triumphantly. With one final heave, he deposited the container on the shore and leaned his palms on his knees to catch his breath. "It is so much easier doing that with a pole. I just didn't want to  risk another Fishzilla seeing the lure and thinking I was aiming for him."

Edited by Shield