SP - F5 Striker / Defender (Sub Dungeon Exploration) (Completed)

guerite-final-small.jpg

"Well, the designers certainly did a good job laying out this area. Geezes, I wonder if I'm even going to be able to find the exit to this area."

As he looked around the area Calrex gave a calming breath, seeing that there was a surprising amount of light flooding into the dungeon, even though it was supposedly buried underneath layers of sand. As he followed the streams of light, to his surprise he saw that most of it was being bounced around the room by a series of mirrors, ending up at one particularly large mirror that spread the light around, functioning almost like a second sun.

"Ok, well at least I don't have to worry about being hindered by light in this area. I lost Night Vision with that skill mod release, so I'd best be careful if I go into any dark areas."

Drawing the Grand Blade the Ultramarine Knight gave a sigh as he looked at the staircase in front of him, "I guess I'm going straight up these steps then."

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As he ascended the staircase Calrex entered into the corridor at the top. Since it was right in the area of light produced by the giant mirror, the hallway was well lit, revealing the stone walls inside. The area seemed void of any form of details, such as tapestries, pictures, or even hooks that one would hang lanterns from, "Somehow...I feel this is more unsettling than a monster being here."

Entering inside the bluenette felt his body involuntarily shift a bit sideways. Even though he would fit perfectly fine with his shoulders squared, the tight space made him prefer to keep his body parallel to the wall. As he continued down the seemingly endless hallway he began to hear the sounds of combat, metal slamming against metal as someone's weapon met the edge of another's.

"Guess I should be ready for combat. No surprise there. I wonder what creatures I'm going to encounter in here."

It wouldn't be long before the bluenette would get his answer. As he emerged out of the hallway the area seemed to open up into a larger open space. much like the area he was previously in, the room seemed to be populated by multiple platforms with staircases attached to each. As for the origin of the clashing steel, two bipedal dog-like creatures that had been sparring ceased their duel, turning to face the Ultramarine Knight before leaping at him.

ID: 42957
Battle Dice: 5 (Accuracy +3) = 8
Mob Dice: 7 (Evasion +2) = 5
Sword Art <<Meteor Break>> Activated / <<Charge>> Activated (11 Energy Used / 44 Remaining)

As the two creatures quickly ascended the staircase to attack Calrex he quickly readied the Grand Blade, knocking aside they attacks before swiftly lowering into his stance for <<Meteor Break>>. Charging into the first of the two creatures he unleashed the rapid barrage of slashes and tackles, knocking it back down the stairs with each attack. On his final strike he quickly spun around, releasing a powerful uppercut to knock it back, sending it the rest of the distance so that the monster was now standing back on the platform below.

Quickly leaping forward the Ultramarine Knight landed on the platform as well, eyes locked on his two opponents as he gave a calming breath, "Alright then, let's get rid of you two."

HP List
Calrex: 285/285
   Energy: 44/55 (-11)

Enemies:
Set Guard 1:
36/143 (10+3 DMG * 11 Art - 36 MIT = 107 DMG)
Set Guard 2: 143/143
DMG: 55
MIT: 36

Edited by Calrex

ID: 42976
Battle Dice: 4 (Accuracy +3) = 7
Mob Dice: 4 (Evasion +2) = 2
Loot Dice: 14 (Search and Detect +2 / Item +1) = 17 (Bonus Loot)
Sword Art <<Howling Octave>> Activated (8 Energy Used / 1 Recovered / 37 Remaining)

As the two bipedal dog monsters swiped at Calrex again he quickly dropped his body low, rolling between the two so that he could easily evade their attacks while getting behind them. With the momentum the monsters had from their attacks they stepped past the bluenette as he spun around, activating <<Meteor Break>> once again. Rushing forward he unleashed the attack, rapidly cutting and charging the creature to the edge, where he finished his attack with a baseball swing-like maneuver.

Hitting the creature with the flat of his blade he knocked it off the edge into the abyss below. However, it seemed the attacks already finished off the creature as it only fell a foot before bursting into crystals.

Quickly dismissing his loot window the Ultramarine Knight backpedaled away from the edge, facing his one remaining foe.

Loot Dice: 
1 Material
Bonus Loot: 715 col (Mob HP 143 * 5 col)

HP List
   Energy: 37/55 (-7+1)

Enemies:
Set Guard 1: 
-8/143 (10 DMG * 8 Art - 36 MIT = 44 DMG)
Set Guard 2: 143/143

Edited by Calrex

ID: 43020
Battle Dice: 10 (Accuracy +3) = 13 (+2 Damage)
Mob Dice: 5 (Evasion +2) = 3
Sword Art <<Meteor Break>> Activated

The two fighters faced each other, the dog-like creature twirling its blade before flying forward, aiming to strike as Calrex's mid-section with the hooked sword it wielded. However, the bluenette managed to easily avoid the blow, sidestepping and letting the momentum of the creature's advance carry itself past him.

Its back exposed once again he unleashed <<Meteor Break>>, slamming into the guard before releasing the rapid flurry of golden cuts iconic of the Sword Art, completing the attack with a leaping fall slash, cutting down the middle line of the monster before taking a few steps back. Checking his own energy levels and the health of the creature, the Ultramarine Knight was sure that this battle would be over with the next clash.

HP List
   Energy: 27/55 (-11+1)

Enemies:
Set Guard 1: 
-8/143
Set Guard 2: 47/143 (10+2 DMG * 11 Art - 36 MIT = 96 DMG)

Edited by Calrex

ID: 43108
Battle Dice: 7 (Accuracy +3) = 10
Mob Dice: 10 (Evasion +2) = 8 (+2 Damage)
Loot Dice: 8 (Search and Detect +2 / Item +1) = 11 (Bonus Loot)
Sword Art <<Shadow Explosion>> Activated (9 Energy Used / 1 Recovered / 19 Remaining)

As the two clashed blades once again Calrex gave a calming breath, lowering his stance to prepare to execute his finishing attack. Unfortunately, this time his evasiveness seemed to fail him, as his eyes locked onto the guard's hooked blade already millimeters away from his side. Bracing for the impact the sword cut into his side before the monster ripped it out.

With his high mitigation the damage was negligible as he immediately responded with his <<Shadow Explosion>> Sword Art. The dark purple aura surrounded the Grand Blade as he cut through the creature, eliminating it with the nine strikes.

The battle over he resheathed his sword, giving a sigh of relief.

Loot List:
1 Material
Bonus Loot: 715 col (Mob HP 143 * 5 col = 715)

HP List
Calrex: 284/285 (55+2 DMG - 60 MIT = 1 Minimum DMG)
   Energy: 19/55 (-9+1)

Enemies:
Set Guard 1: 
-8/143
Set Guard 2: -7/143 (10 DMG * 9 Art - 36 MIT = 54 DMG)

Edited by Calrex

(2 Posts Until Full Energy Recharge)

With the guards eliminated and the battle now behind him Calrex looked around the area. The new open cavern was a big different from the hallway he had just emerged from. If he had to guess, the two rooms connected by the hallway were significant different in architecture and design. This room seemed more abstract, with the platforms for each part of the area being supported only by one or two pillar rising up from below, connected by the staircases. No two squares were at the same level, and even if they were they were inaccessible by walking, being significantly distanced from each other.

However, at the opposite end there was another access point leading out of the chasm as the Ultramarine Knight made his way across the varying leveled platforms, looking up to see Roc was flying across above. With a smirk he descended another staircase, only to ascent another, "I guess I was supposed to be fighting those creatures across these platforms, but since I eliminated them so quickly there was no point. Maybe I'll take note of the way these platforms are laid out, because generally having the higher ground gives you the advantage, but that's a really situational way of thinking, especially in melee combat. It's generally harder to defend from, even though it gives a better view to survey an area."

Entering into the cavern the bluenette took a few steps before he stopped. Listening he heard what sounded like multiple tiny feet touching the ground, growing louder, as if it was coming towards him.

"Yeah, no I'm not going in there and fighting in a limited space!"

Quickly stepping back out of the cavern he looked back, seeing a large stinger pierce the ground where he was standing. A large scorpion soon emerged from the cavern, its appendages clacking against each other as it spotted its prey.

Ripping the Grand Blade from its sheath Calrex calmed himself, "Alright, guess you're next."

OOC: Rolling with the thread linked instead of the post for the next few days. Hotel internet acts weird when I try editing my posts O_O.

IC:

ID: 43150
Battle Dice: 9 (Accuracy +3) = 12 (+1 Damage)
Mob Dice: 3 (Evasion +2) = 1
Sword Art <<Nova Ascension>> Activated / <<Charge>> Activated (12 Energy Used / 1 Recovered / 8 Remaining)

The scorpion shot its stinger out, aiming to pierce Calrex, but even with his reduced speed he was able to easily avoid the attack, sidestepping as the tip pierced the platform he was standing on as he rushed forward. Activating his <<Charge>> skill it seemed he had found a great opportunity to strike as four dark diamond shaped petals formed in front of him, acting almost like an acceleration gateway as he passed through. Flying forward he unleashed <<Nova Ascension>>, the Grand Blade lighting up with a shining blue glow. Unleashing the eight slashes he quickly planted his front foot, using the momentum from his charge to power his spin into a fierce pommel strike.

Leaping back he saw the scorpion's health bar have the Stun effect appear, giving a small sigh of relief, "Great...now I just need to finish this thing off..."

HP List
Calrex: 285/285
   Energy: 8/55 (-12+1)

Enemies:
Guardian Scorpion: 93/175 (10+1+3 DMG * 9 Art - 44 MIT = 82 DMG / Stunned Until Next Turn)
DMG: 100
MIT: 44

ID: 43151
Battle Dice: 3 (Accuracy +3) = 6
Mob Dice: 3 (Evasion +2) = 1 (Disregarded Due to Stun)
Sword Art <<Shadow Explosion>> Activated (9 Energy Used / 1 Recovered / 0 Remaining)

Taking the opportunity provided by the stunned scorpion Calrex rushed forward, the Grand Blade glowing with the dark purple hue of his <<Shadow Explosion>> Sword Art. Closing the distance the bluenette unleashed the nine strikes, with three of them looking similar to his Swallow Return technique he had used in the past before the release of the in-game combos.

However, as he finished his combo the scorpion did something he would not expect from a non-floor or event monster. Its entire body began to radiate a red aura, iconic of many creatures that enter an enraged state, once that his past gaming experience would hint to be increased stats, "Alright then...let's see what you've got."

HP List
   Energy: 0/55 (-9+1)

Enemies:
Guardian Scorpion: 47/175 (10 DMG * 9 Art - 44 MIT = 46 DMG / Stun End)
DMG: 160

Edited by Calrex

ID: 43152
Battle Dice: 2 (Accuracy +3) = 5 (Disregarded Due to No Action Taken)
No Action Taken (1 Energy Recovered / 1 Remaining)

With his energy depleted Calrex felt the weight of his avatar kick in as he dropped down to one knee for a second, gritting his teeth, "Geezes, already I'm needing to recover my energy. Maybe even with my huge energy reserves I should start looking into energy replenishing items and equipment."

Pushing himself to his feet he forced himself upright, seeing the scorpion's tail fly past him and strike the corner of his platform, glancing back for a second before returning his focus to the creature in front of him. Scanning its health bar he gave a calming breath, "That much HP remaining...I'll need to hit it with probably a Rank 5 Sword Art if I'm going to end this fight. Great, playing the waiting game again then..."

Flipping the Grand Blade into a reverse grip he readied himself for the incoming attacks.

HP List
   Energy: 1/55 (+1)

Enemies:
Guardian Scorpion: 47/175

ID: 43153
Battle Dice: 6 (Accuracy +3) = 9 (Vengeful Riposte Successful)
Mob Dice: 10 (Evasion +2) = 8 (+2 Damage)
<<Parry>> Activated (2 Energy Used / 1 Recovered / 0 Remaining)

As his energy climbed up another point Calrex looked as the enraged scorpion attempted to attack with a trio of attacks, a swipe with both of its claws before a powerful piercing attack with its stinger. He tried to leap out of the way, but the lack of energy rendered him unable to muster enough strength to dodge.

"Alright then...let's see how this mod works."

His arms lit up with the light blue glow as his <<Parry>> skill activated. As the attacks slammed into his defense he felt the assisted system take over as he deflected most of the strikes out of the way. With the final attack his eyebrows furrowed as he lifted his sword to meet the stinger as his body suddenly felt light. Manipulating the flight path of the stinger with his sword locked against one of the overlapping points in the creature's exoskeleton he redirected the attack back, the point piercing into the monster's carapace. His eyes widened in surprise as the scorpion's health was reduced a significant amount, far outweighing the cost of the skill's usage.

"So that's the Vengeful Riposte mod. Geezes I'll need to keep that in my back pocket when I'm fighting creatures with high damage and moderate to negligible mitigation."

HP List
Calrex: 264/285 (160+2 DMG / 2 Parry - 60 MIT = 21 DMG)
   Energy: 0/55 (-2+1)

Enemies:
Guardian Scorpion: 10/175 (81 Vengeful Riposte DMG - 44 MIT = 37 DMG)

ID: 43196
Craft Dice: 11 (Meditation Success / Negative Status Effects Removed + 5% HP Recovered)
Mob Dice: 1 (Evasion +2) = -1
<<Meditation>> Activated (1 Energy Recovered / 1 Remaining)

As the scorpion attempted to strike as Calrex once again the bluenette made note of his position, quickly leaping back as the scorpion's stinger missed, striking into the staircase. With the powerful impact of the strike the steps seemed to shake, causing the monster to stumble before it managed to regain its balance.

"Alright, it's going to be some time before I can use any Sword Arts again. Better focus on recovering from that strike. Focus..."

Steadying his breathing the Ultramarine Knight centering his stance, focusing as the outline of his avatar began to glow, building up to a quick flash as his <<Meditation>> skill activated, recovering some of the damage he had endured from the scorpion's previous strike.

"Good, now to see what's going to occur next."

HP List
Calrex: 279/285 (15 HP)
   Energy: 1/55 (+1)

Enemies:
Guardian Scorpion: 10/175

ID: 43197
Battle Dice: 8 (Accuracy +3) = 11 (Disregarded Due to Meditation)
Craft Dice: 11 (Meditation Success / Negative Status Effects Removed + 5% HP Recovered)

As the scorpion advanced down the staircase Calrex slowly backed up, giving some of his ground. "If I get closer that just puts me into a position where he could rapidly attack me from all sides. This is a decent size platform, just gotta make sure I don't get pushed to an edge that has no staircase."

Seeing an incoming stinger once again the bluenette quickly leapt to the side, making note that his energy had recovered once again, seeing his <<Parry>> skill become available once again. Focusing he activated his <<Meditation>> skill once again, the glow building up to a flash once again as he saw his health return back to full.

"Alright then, I just need to build up enough energy to unleash a rank 4 Sword Art, or I can goad this creature into attacking again so that I can use my riposte skill once again."

HP List
Calrex: 285/285 (15 HP)
   Energy: 2/55 (+1)

Enemies:

ID: 43211
Battle Dice: 8 (Accuracy +3) = 11 (Disregarded Due to No Action Taken)
No Action Taken (1 Energy Recovered / 3 Remaining)

As his energy climbed up another point Calrex kept his eyes locked on the scorpion, who had attempted yet another attack to try and strike down the bluenette. Its stinger shot forward, but as it got close the Ultramarine Knight quickly leapt to the side, sliding a short distance as the appendage pierced into the ground where he was previously standing. However, it appeared that SAO lacked a form of environmental destruction to its graphics engine, as the attack did not cause an form of impact crater or such.

Giving a quick calming exhale the bluenette locked his eyes back on the oversized creature's striking limbs. Straightening his stance Calrex quickly twirled the Grand Blade in a quick flourish, as if to goad the scorpion into attacking, "I've got more than enough energy now. If I can finish this thing off with another riposte attack, I won't have to waste much more time trying to dodge and build up energy."

HP List
   Energy: 3/55 (+1)

Enemies:

ID: 43212
Battle Dice: 4 (Accuracy +3) = 7 (Disregarded Due to No Action Taken)
No Action Taken (1 Energy Recovered / 4 Remaining)

With another point back into his energy gauge Calrex gave a small sigh as the scorpion failed yet again to hit him. This time he even neglected moving, but it seemed that the creature was still shaken by the first riposte attack that the bluenette had inflected on it. It was possible that the technique had caused the AI to learn from the technique, and now it was making the scorpion refrain from attacking while the player had the ability to reflect its damage back at it.

Seeing his energy now borderlining enough to use <<Vorpal Strike>> the Ultramarine Knight gritted his teeth, "The closest art I can use would be Deadly Sins, but I can't use it until I get a few more points of energy back. Darn it, I swear these monsters really need to start focusing on hitting more often, at least if they want to keep my battles interesting, heh."

Giving a calming exhale the bluenette flicked the Grand Blade into a reveres grip, lowering his stance, as if preparing for the creature to attack once again.

HP List
   Energy: 4/55 (+1)

Enemies:

ID: 43216
Battle Dice: 1 (Accuracy +3) = 4 (Disregarded Due to No Action Taken)
Craft Dice: 11 (Meditation Success + Battle Healing Success / Negative Status Effects Removed + 5% HP Recovered)
Mob Dice: 9 (Evasion +2) = 7 (+1 Damage)
<<Meditation>> Activated

This time it seemed the scorpion was on the mark as its stinger tail shot forward, but this time as the bluenette prepared to use <<Parry>>, he saw that it wouldn't reach the prime point where the <<Riposte>> effect would trigger. Gritting his teeth Calrex braced for impact. The tail pierced into his shoulder before the scorpion lifted him up in the air, slamming him back down into the platform before releasing its stinger from him.

"Guh...darn it this is what I get for being overconfident. Even with the mod, this is conditional on if I can trigger it at the right time. Tristan's ability will trigger no matter what. I need to be more careful."

Luckily enough as he got back to his feet he saw his health climb back a small bit as his <<Battle Healing>> skill kicked in. At the same time he focused, triggering <<Meditation>>, healing his HP back even further as he brought it back to safer levels. Straightening his stance the Ultramarine Knight tightened his grip on the Grand Blade, "Alright, let's give that another try."

HP List
Calrex: 213/285 (160+1 DMG - 60 MIT = 101 DMG / 29 HP Recovered)
   Energy: 5/55 (+1)

Enemies:

ID: 43227
Battle Dice: 2 (Accuracy +3) = 5 (Disregarded Due to No Action Taken)
No Action Taken (1 Energy Recovered / 6 Remaining)

Time continued to pass as Calrex managed to quickly avoid another series of strikes from the scorpion, sliding back a distance as he blocked an incoming attack. Looking at his energy bar as it climbed yet another point the bluenette quickly squared his stance before bringing his left foot back. Bringing the Grand Blade up to his face he turned it parallel to the ground, the primary edge pointing upwards with the tip trained on his opponent.

"Just a few more seconds..."

"Once this is over, I've got to keep trying to find a way out of here. No way I'm staying stuck in here for the rest of my time in SAO."

HP List
Calrex: 213/285
   Energy: 6/55 (+1)

Enemies:

ID: 43232
Battle Dice: 1 (Accuracy +3) = 4 (Disregarded Due to No Action Taken)
No Action Taken (1 Energy Recovered / 7 Remaining)

"Alright...finally got enough..."

As his energy climbed up another point Calrex saw that his <<Deadly Sins>> Sword Art had become available. However, rather than immediately using it he kept his eyes focused on the scorpion in front of him, quickly leaping to the side as he saw the incoming tail once again. The stinger pierced into the platform as the bluenette slid back into his posture for activating his Sword Art.

"Wait for the right opportunity to strike. That's all I need to do..."

HP List
   Energy: 7/55 (+1)

Enemies:

ID: 43233
Mob Dice: 7 (Evasion +2) = 5
Loot Dice: 6 (Search and Detect +2 / Item +1) = 9 (No Bonus Loot)
Sword Art <<Deadly Sins>> Activated (7 Energy Used / 1 Recovered / 1 Remaining)

"Now!"

The Grand Blade lit alight with the dark purple glow of <<Deadly Sins>> as Calrex rushed forward, unleashing the septuple stab barrage that traced the Big Dipper constellation in the scorpion's side. As the attack completed the scorpion froze in place for a second before erupting into crystals. With the battle concluded the bluenette dropped to a knee, seeing that his energy had reduced once again to minimal levels. However, with the battle concluded, he could take however much time was necessary to recover both his health and energy.

Getting to his feet Calrex flicked the Grand Blade into a reverse grip, resheathing the sword into his back hip sheath before putting his hands into his pockets, "Alright then, better stay here and recover for now..."

Loot List:
1 Material

HP List
   Energy: 1/55 (-7+1)

Enemies:
Guardian Scorpion: -16/175 (10 DMG * 7 Art - 44 MIT = 26 DMG)

Edited by Calrex

(2 Posts Remaining Until Full Recharge / 6 HP Recovered)

Sitting down on the platform Calrex gave a sigh as he kept his eyes on his health and energy bars, seeing each slowly climb with each passing moment. Even though the scorpion had dealt a powerful blow to him, it was nothing compared to the barrage of massive damage he had endured during the Halloween event boss. The boss' minions had taken away a huge chunk of his health, and should they have been left to their devices, would have likely ended his life. Nonetheless, he appreciated all of the efforts made after the attack to keep him alive, with many of his teammates healing him or providing a Safeguard, while Ssendom led others in eliminating the offending mobs. Tristan took over the aggro, thus turning the dire situation into a positive outcome.

He still remembered that he had done so because his wife Teayre and good friends Ariel and Kalesh, were both in a helpless position, with the scarecrows ready to strike. In order to keep them alive, he had used <<Howl>> to take the aggro, enduring blow after blow to make sure they were unharmed. With a smirk he gave a calming breath, "I've come a long way from that moment. I've tried to continue treading the fine line between attack and defense, but so far it feels the only place I can grow now is in defense. So, in that area I shall continue to train. Hopefully I'll catch up to Daeron and Tristan soon enough."

HP List
Calrex: 219/285 (+6)
   Energy: 2/55 (+1)