[PP-F11] A simple discussion with Mari

Lowenthal returned, to the campsite he and Mari had made not long ago. The fire was already start, so that at least Mari was back. It had been a few weeks since he had started shadowing her, and he had learned quite a bit. He knew a few of her likes, and dislike. And a few trigger words that would make her smack him for being an idiot, or another synonym of the like.

And he had just returned from a meeting with Zelrius that could've gone smoother. He rubbed the back of his head as he sat down. Mari was nowhere to be seen, so she must of walked off to either use the bathroom, or search for more materials. Either way, she'd be back soon. Lowenthal sat by the fire, thinking the situation over and over again in his head.

He let out an audible sigh as he thought it over in his head. Why would Zel be so daft? Of all the people in this game, Zel had to be the strongest, but literally the dumbest person around. Well, not the dumbest, but he was unwise for sure.

ID:45463 Loot: 10 +3 + 3 = 16
Materials: +1

Mari didn't expect Lowenthal to stay, rather - she expected him to disappear after a few hours. She had wandered off on her own to gather materials. She returned briefly, only to light a fire to cook the flesh of a few wayward rabbits. She did not have the cooking profession - but it didn't mean she couldn't do the basics, such as heating up generic meat, Naturally the risk of her burning it was quite high, but Mari didn't care. She rarely ate. She simply went through the motions of it.

Mari once again disappeared into the forest, this time to gather herbs - not for cooking but for her alchemy - she switched to her looting attire, tight skinned PVC - with the Phoenix coat draped over herself. She rarely stuck her hands in it's sleeves, which hung loosely at her side. She found what she was looking for, long green stalks with small lumps of what looked like sap protruding from the tip. She pulled them up, and headed back to the fire.

"Eat then return to the shop." She muttered to herself, it's what she had planned, and she had no intention of waiting around for anyone. When she returned to the campsite she noticed Lowenthal - looking quite fed up and miserable, he gave a loud and frustrated sigh. 

"I'm not repeating myself again. I won't wait for you." 

Mari sat by the fire, reaching out to grab one of the crispy golden hind legs, which had been propped up by a stick. She sighed, twirling it in her hands, having lost her appetite already.

Lowenthal looked up from his spot. "Oh there you. And of course, when do you ever?" Lowenthal said, grabbing another piece of meat. At least this time Mari was kind enough to cook him food as well. She'd been doing that recently, these random acts of kindness. Such as cooking food for him, or she'd wish him a good night rather than silently sauntering to bed. But it was mostly outweighed by smacks to his head, or being called a child. Lowenthal found that he didn't mind those as much as he did before, and had grown used to being called those things. Lowenthal took a bite of, whatever it was Mari cooked. It was bland, and just tasted like cooked meat, but at least it wasn't burst past palatable.

Lowenthal swallowed his food before speaking. "You were right. Zel's a moron. Trying to talk to him, it like talking to a wall. Or a broken record." Lowenthal said aloud. "Tried to talk some sense into him, but he doesn't listen." He said, with a sigh of frustration. He recalled that they had exchanged heated words, before Lowenthal had to leave. But his opinion of Zel, no matter what was said, was that Zel was an arrogant child. "He's still going away, and keeping his unique skill like the selfish child he is." Lowenthal said, before taking another bite.

Mari ignored his initial comment, and instead gave him a glare as he grabbed the second, and last hind leg that was still slowly roasting. Did he assume it was for him? "Whatever." Mari muttered, as she tossed her own rabbit leg meal toward him. She didn't need to eat. "Not hungry." She said in disdain. Instead of eating Mari pushed her cherry blossomed locks out of her face and leaned up against a tree trunk. Blue eyes looking beyond the tree leaves at the fading sunlight. She didn't like forests, and wanted to get out of here sooner, rather than later. Mari couldn't comprehend Lowenthal's love of this floor.

"This floor is vile." She muttered dryly. There was a muted silence between the two before Lowenthal spoke up,  mentioning Zelrius. Someone Mari was not too fond of.  "Eh? To be honest I haven't spoken to him for long periods of time. He's either kept me waiting - or decided not to show up to any mutual meetings." Mari mused, curling a strand of hair around her finger. "Aren't you his second in command or something?"  These questions would have sparked something within Lowenthal, no doubt -as it was the first time Mari was actually putting any sort of effort into a conversation, and the first time she had began to ask questions in regards to something Lowenthal did.

Lowenthal caught the food that Mari had flung at him. "Look, if you're not going to eat it. Why cook it in the first place?" Lowenthal asked, as he placed the food beside him. He knew that Mari didn't cook for him, per say. But she never ate all of her food, this time Lowenthal just seized the initiative and grabbed some food before Mari could throw it away. Waste not, want not. "And no. I'm supposed to be his replacement. But, I don't even see why." Lowenthal honestly said.

"I tried talking to Zel, but our conversation turned into shouting, and him being a hypocritical ass." Lowenthal said, not wanting to eat his food now either. He let out a huff, and set his food beside him next to the other piece of food. "I tried to convince him to not be an asshole and leave, but no. He wouldn't have. He kept insisting that his problems were the absolute worst, and that he needed a break from everything." Lowenthal said, as he crossed his arms.

He asked about her appetite, or lack thereof. Mari shrugged in response. Not giving him any sort of satisfactory answer. The less she communicated with him, Mari figured - the quicker he would grow bored and just wander of. It was a bit of a catch 22 really, Mari was curious as to what he discussed with Zelrius, but didn't want to get into too many conversations with Lowenthal. He'd get the wrong idea and assume they were developing some sort of rapport. 

"If you want to be his replacement, I'd suggest stuffing yourself with hot air - and stomping about a little more." She gestured toward his hair, "Ya got similar hairstyles already. So that's a start." She mocked. 

Lowenthal grew more frustrated as he spoke, although it was seemingly aimed at Zelrius. "Sounds like you both were acting like kids. Should have just parted ways till you both calmed the f**k down." It was rude, but sound advice, if they were having a discussion that turned to shouting, the logical, no the adult thing to do would be to take a break from one another and wait for their emotions to settle.

Lowenthal went on to describe how Zelrius thought his problems were above everyone else. Mari sighed, pushing back her fringe and rubbing her temples with her thumb and forefinger. "Sounds to me, that he hasn't exactly grown at all - he's a typical teenager - and probably thinks the world revolves around him, that his problems...as you put it, are the worst and that no one could ever be as depressed or upset as he is. That attitude shits me off, but he is a kid." Mari pointed out to Lowenthal. "I don't know his exact age, but I can take a stab in the dark and say around 14-15, just based on his attitude. I don't know whatever 'skill' he has with him, but his actions show that no matter what he says - he doesn't have the good of the people  in mind. Just himself." 

Mari shrugged, "To be brutally honest, he has every right to do that. To be selfish, to keep a skill he earned to himself. Just don't pretend its for the good of anyone. Don't bullsh*t people. Just be upfront. Tell people you are keeping a skill you damn well earned, and that they can all get f**ked. How damn hard is that?"

Lowenthal sighed, knowing Mari was right. He had lost his cool, for unneeded reasons, and had said things that he initially didn't mean. "Yeah, childish. I tried to calm down, and leave the scene. But he followed and egged me on. So I retaliated." Lowenthal said, disappointed in himself. "Hell, I don't even know why I went to go talk sense into him. I just felt that everyone was fine with Zelrius leaving with the strongest skill in the game. It's stupid. He raves about being the strongest, and wanting to be a hero. And when he finally gets the chance, he takes the skill and then he runs away." He said. He picked up a piece of meat, and took a frustrated bite. After chewing and swallowing he continued.

"I mean, where does he get off like that?" He said, mostly to himself. He let out a frustrated sigh, before calming down. "Asshole." He said to himself. "What would you have done?" He asked, looking at Mari. "If Zel were to just dismiss the deaths of your friends, and family. Write them off as if they were nothing. Nothing compared to the 'pain inside him'." Lowenthal asked Mari. He stood up, facing Mari. "He said you kill for fun. That you enjoied, killing people. He told me that you took drugs, and murdered your daughter like a dog." Lowenthal said, staring at Mari's blue eyes.

Lowenthal admitted he was being childish, and once again Mari rested her head back against the trunk of the tree. Closing her tired, blue eyes. "Because he isn't a hero." Mari replied simply. "He just pretends to be. That's one of the things that sh*ts me off the most about the kid. He ain't honest with his actions. As I said, if he wants to be a selfish jerk, he has every right to be, just don't pretend to be a hero, or say it's for the good of the people." 

Still with her eyes closed, Mari pressed the flat of the palms into the cool earthen dirt, she dug her hands into it, giving a low sigh. "I don't pretend to be a hero. I'm not. I'm cold, distant and selfish. I don't give a f**k about people, and I am fine with that. At least I'm damn honest about it." 

Lowenthal continued to vent his frustrations, then - he asked Mari what she would have done, if Zelrius dismissed the deaths of her friends and her family. Mari didn't reply for a long time. The time passed swallowed the flames of the fire, till it were nothing more than burning embers. What would she have done...? If he had dismissed the death of her own daughter....? Her lip twitched as her brows furrowed, as she tried to digest what Lowenthal said. She knew that she and Zelrius were not on speaking terms, but she didn't expect him to resort to such childish, petty remarks. Mari slowly sat up, finally opening her eyes - now glowing a soft green due to the diminishing light around them.

"He wouldn't deserve the time of day." 

She wanted to say she'd kill him, but in her current state, she would doubt she'd be able to - she had been away from the frontlines for too long - and if she did do such a thing, then Zelrius would inadvertently win, proving a point that Mari would have just killed for the hell of it. 

"In my eyes, he'd simply cease to exist. I wouldn't acknowledge his words, his attitude, his skill, nothing. Because, really, that's all he is. But tell me something, Lowenthal." Mari began, her voice calm. Yet her eyes burning with a fury which one would think was long forgotten.

"What would you do, to someone who says such decrepit things?" 

Lowenthal listened to Mari, as the words he said would trigger her. He knew that they would. Lowenthal corrected himself mentally. Zel was no 'hero', he was barely human. A person that was so quickly to judge another, without even all the facts. Then again here was Lowe, plotting. Zel had almost made it too easy for him. He provided him with the ammunition needed to spark this anger in Mari. Mari was a much better combatant then himself, and he'd need her help.

Lowenthal stepped closer as Mari spoke her piece. He stopped when he was close enough to make out her facial features, and knelt down in front of Mari, and spoke. "Honest truth?" Lowenthal asked, hypothetically. "I would do him a favour. And end him, and that 'miserable' existence of his that ails him so." Lowenthal said, giving Mari his honest answer.

Mari was disappointed in Lowenthal's answer. The only redeeming point he had going for him was that he spoke the truth. Did Mari want to strike Zelrius down for saying such things? In a sense, yes, very much so - she wanted to wrap her fingers around his wiry neck and press hard until she watched him gasp his very last feeble breath, but that was the difference between her, and a ruthless killer. Despite the rumours, Mari still did not needlessly kill anyone and avoided it where possible. The thoughts and desires that someone has when they're angry...they shouldn't act on such things. The fact that Lowenthal spoke so freely of murdering another person disappointed her.

"You think killing someone against their will is doing them a favour?" Mari asked as she slowly stood. "Furthermore, you've already done redemption - you'd be marked as a Pker until this game is defeated, or your death. I'd say whichever comes first but...." Mari glanced down at him, "With an attitude like that, I can surely say you'd die first. There is a difference between being a ruthless killer, and being a human being. That difference is being able to determine what is and isn't necessary. You know if you did that, you'd just be proving his point right?" 

• 1 month later...

Lowenthal sighed, and sat on the log behind him. "It was more of a metaphor, then an actuality." Lowenthal said, frustrated. But Mari was right, again. If he did even somehow managed to kill Zel, he'd be marked a player killer again and be unable to do redemption. And, he would only be proving a point. But not his own. Lowenthal tok in a deep breath and let it out slowly. "It's be better to just ignore him. Or try to get people to see how much of an ass he really is. That he's not the god that people think he is." Lowenthal said, sitting down completely. "Frankly, I'm about done with the whole thing." He said.

"A metaphor huh?" Mari repeated his words back to him in the form of a question, as she leant back, tilting her head toward the sky. "I think you misunderstand the word. A metaphor is a hidden comparison between two things - but you just blatantly said you wanted to kill him. Now, that doesn't sound like a metaphor to me." Mari shrugged, "Honestly. I'm done being involved in the dramas of other people. Whatever issue you have with him isn't my problem. I'd have to agree with you. I'm done." 

The conversation quietened between the two, and the fire cracked and sizzled - there wasn't much more to say, and Mari was never one to force conversations. Several moments had passed before she repeated under her breath. "I'm just done."

Lowenthal sighed, and lied down on the grass as Mari spoke. He rolled her eyes as she defined the word 'metaphor' for him, and agreed that she too was 'done' with the situation at hand. He lied there for what seemed to be days, before hearing Mari utter the words 'I'm just, done' again. Lowenthal opened his eyes, and sat up. He looked at Mari, and could obviously see just how troubled she was. He had a general idea, but kept it to himself. Last thing that needed to happen was Lowe to open his big mouth again. "I have a feeling that you mean something more when you say that." Lowenthal admitted.

The silence continued, and Mari didn't mind it one bit, she preferred it far more than forced conversation, that was, until Lowenthal spoke. It had been some time since either of them said anything, and his question was quiet - Mari could assume it was one he wasn't exactly sure of asking, and who could blame him? Mari wasn't exactly the most stable person - and even she could admit that small things tend to set her off.

Mari's lips quirked into a small smirk. "That's the smartest thing you've said all night."  Her smirk quickly disappeared, as she answered his question. "Your feeling is not wrong."

Lowenthal shrugged his shoulders, taking the compliment. "I'll take it. You wanna talk, I'm here." Lowenthal said, lying back down. From experience, Mari preferred silence over being pestered about how she was feeling. Hell, a lot of people didn't like talking about themselves and it made sense. Lowenthal crossed his hands behind his head, and started to enjoy the silence. He could see why Mari  would like it, but it was slightly disheartening. Lowenthal was used to the city, with it's lights and noises. He enjoied the beach, at least the sounds of the ocean were relaxing. 

"There isn't anything to talk about, Lowe." Mari muttered, twirling a strand of pink hair round and round her index finger. She didn't particularly want to talk about things, not with Lowenthal, not with anyone. She had her own issues to deal with, and just as she didn't want to bother with other peoples problems - she in turn didn't want to bother them with her own. 

"I'm done, take it in whatever way you choose to, chances are - whatever you think, or assume, is probably in some form....right." She muttered.

Lowenthal chuckled. "I'm sorry, could you perhaps, repeat that?" Lowenthal teased. "For a second there it seemed as though you said that, I was right." Lowenthal said, with another small laugh. He didn't really care if he was right or not, but the fact that Mari was actually giving out these compliments. "Jokes aside though." Lowenthal said, closing his eyes again. "I'm willing to help, and willing to listen Mari." Lowenthal said again. 

"Don't push it." Mari muttered as she pushed herself up off the ground. She didn't know why, but Lowenthal's carefree mannerisms annoyed her -why was he able to shift his moods so...so easily? How was it that he was able to harbour such anger and hatred mere hours ago - only to have it all melt away as though it were naught but a change in the breeze? Mari voiced her feelings, of course she did it in the typical Mari fashion - which may have just confused Lowenthal. "I hate how you do that." She muttered as she watched his shoulders rise and fall with soft laughter. 

The honey haired youth seemed to pick up on her feelings, and his smile faded. Mari hated that even more, as a part of her felt that she was the one taking such jovial emotions away from him. It's all she did, take those precious things away. Lowenthal turned serious and stated that he was willing to help and to listen. Mari shrugged off his offer. "I don't need help, nor do I want someone to 'listen' when they don't actually do that. They miss the words, they miss the intention, the meaning, that's not listening - that's just...that's just..." Mari fumbled with her fingers as her brows furrowed, she was frustrated and couldn't find the right words.  She threw her hands down in defeat. "It's pointless."

Lowenthal sat up again. At this rate he'd have a six pack by the time the sun rose. He rotated his body to he could better face Mari. "Hate How I do what?" Lowenthal asked aloud. Was it the way he laughed, or the way he made jokes? Maybe. Mari seemed to be the in the same mood all the time, grumpy and unimpressed. Except for now, which seemed to be frustrated and annoyed. He scratched the back of his head, in thought. Lowenthal gave a small chuckle. "Having trouble finding words to say?" He asked, ignoring what was said about him.

The question came as Lowenthal all too predictably asked for Clarification from the woman. Mari didn't offer him the answer he wanted, "You." She said simply, as she too gave him a predictable answer. One that offered no insight to what she had really been thinking, why should she offer him anything of the sort? Lowenthal just laughed it off, carefree as always - before poking fun at her inability to find the right words.

Mari turned her back on him, lifting her shoulders in a shrug. "Oh I had words to say." She mused, "I just know when to bite my tongue, but I think we're both done here."