[PP-F11] A simple discussion with Mari

Lowenthal gritted his teeth as he drew his dagger. Her back was turned, he could easily just do it. End her life, blink of eye. Her time away from the front lines, from everything made her weak. Killing her would be child's play. Lowenthal scoffed at the thought in his head. Here he was, about to kill Mari for treating him like a child, and he called it child's play. Lowenthal called out to Mari.

"Mari!" Lowenthal said, almost shouting. His knuckles white, from the grip around his kunai. He hastily opened his menu, and sent Mari a duel request. If he was going to do it, he wanted to do it right. She deserved that much. The parameters were for a full loss duel. The loser would be dead, and the winner wouldn't be crowned a player killer. Not like he would anyway, seeing as Mari was already orange. Lowenthal spoke again. "The only way I let you live, is if you hand over every unique item you have. You holding on to them, is no better then all of Azure hoarding thier uniques. Give them to me, and they'll see some use where it counts." Lowenthal said, wanting the uniques that Mari had on person. If she didn't give them to him, then he would challenge her to the duel again. And if she refused that then, then the uniques were better to be lost forever.

• 4 months later...

Her heart sank, as the request popped up on her screen. Her exterior was cold, foreboding and unforgiving. Blue eyes relentless in their judgement of all those they lay upon. Despite her exterior, she could not shut off all emotion, try as she might, she was not robotic, nor soulless. She...was human. She didn't treat Lowenthal with much respect, but she had kept his company, she had allowed him to linger; and, in typical Lowenthal fashion, he had managed to get under her skin. Sure he frustrated her, his simple words and quick jumps to wild conclusions bothered her, but he was still someone. Someone Mari had allowed to stand by her, someone she had offered to teach, to help, to guide, albeit reluctuntly. To have that thrown in her face- with a duel. Not just any one, but one that would forfeit a life....

Despite all her attempts to push everyone and everything away to avoid continued pain... she felt that all too familiar pang of betrayal tug at her heart. It served her right in a way, it was her fault for treating him like garbage, and it was her fault, for allowing him to grow on her in the first place.

Mari's lips parted, as she exhaled - her hand raising over the decline button, refusing to battle him. "It seems you've learnt nothing from our time together. You proved my point, there would have been no point in talking to you. You wouldn't have listened." She mumbled as she turned over to look at him, raising her hand to gesture at his murderous pose. "See? You'd kill me for a group of items? You see me as someone that weak?" She asked, "I have spent far too long away from battle, so you're probably right. Frankly. I don't care for it anymore. I don't care about being the strongest player in Aincrad, I don't care if we leave this hell hole or not. Honestly...it seems that there are no humans left here anyway. With the way everyone is acting, and I don't pretend to be any better." 

Mari ran a hand through her hair, "I have two items in my possession, my whip, and - a coat given to me by Daeron." She paused as the name left her lips, rumours had it, that he too, had passed. Choosing to end his life. OF course. Mari had no way of confirming this. "The has no worth in battle. It shelters me from harsh climates. No more, no less. If you feel my life is worth less than that, then by all means continue with your actions. But I refuse to give the one sentimental thing I own to anyone." Mari muttered, "And as for the other unique? I'd rather have given it to someone who wasn't so brash. If, in time - you had asked me nicely to borrow it, just as Az had, I would have allowed it, call me stubborn, but I'd rather die than give strength to someone who would so willfully throw away a human life."  Mari gave her head a disappointed shake, it was almost heart wrenching, seeing someone she was growing to trust - so easily...so quickly drawing their blade on her.

"I refuse to take any part in anything....that would result in anothers death. I have played devils advocate far too many times already." Another heavy sigh escaped her lips, as the weight of her actions, her words, was evident in her voice. How tired she was. Tired of fighting a loosing battle. Tired of betrayal after betrayal.    "I'm just too tired."