[PP-F4] Hunting the Essential. <<Essence>> (Mack, Xion, Grave) [COMPLETE]

Hunting the Essential

It had not been that long ago since they left the tavern, but the hunter would require assistance with this next hunt.  Before he left, the hunter asked his two friends to assist him.  The grand buster of an axe user, and commander of the Crimson Blade force, Mack.  Also, his closest friend in this world, and the obelisk to be, Xion.  This next hunt would require their help to accomplish, as it was known to shred ones health.  Hirru knew that he could count on them to complete the task at hand, it was going to be the start of a new chapter in his life.

They had walked for some time after warping to the fourth floor, and heading straight to where the creatures was supposed to be.  A winding path of snow covered mountain paths and caves would lead them to a cavern that overlooked a cliff.  Near the edge of the cliff was a large skull of a creature that he had never seen, or would ever see again.  Turning around, he looked upon the two that followed him to this point.

"Thanks for coming with, you guys.  I hear that this hunt might be a little more than I can chew alone."

Edited by Hirru

"No worries" Xion said to the Jade hunter as he followed the young man, looking at the skull with curiosity, it perplexed the tank as much as it did Hirru. "I can't do this one on my own either, but with the both of us and Mack" he said, smiling towards his old Guildmaster "We should be able to take this one without much trouble, we have enough damage and health to survive this one and reap the rewards!" he said with a loud chuckle, even though the blonde was a few levels behind Hirru and even more behind Mack he was still determined as ever to become stronger, so that he may fight on the front lines with his brothers and sisters in arms, and the XP from this quest would bring him another step closer to that goal.  

"So, I'm assuming that the plan is I get hit in the face while you two deal damage to our foes?"

"This is Hirru's quest," Mack replied in a low rumble. "The plan is whatever he says it is. I will only be throwing my weight around as the Third in Command of the Knights if it becomes necessary to do so," Mack continued, reaching back above his right shoulder and drawing Invictus with a single fluid motion. "And, until you have howl, tanking is problematic. Especially since I believe my Mit and Regen both exceed your own," Mack concluded. "Speed is of the essence. Summon the beast, kill it fast, be back to Snowfrost in time for Happy Hour." Mack planted the butt cap of Invictus in the snow covered earth and waited on Hirru to issue orders.

Edited by Mack

Ah, Snowfrost. I used to despise it with a burning passion. That was until I came face to face with the Ninth Floor, a boiling, hellish furnace. I stood with my coat unbuttoned, the chill air carrying it behind me; the fierce bite was not what it used to be. In fact, I was beginning to enjoy the cold. My breath blew out in white wisps as I stared across a frozen field, watching various snow creatures playing in the digital powder. A trio of much more savage creatures was strolling towards something, beating weapons more deadly than the jaws of any serpent; the hunt was on.

I rushed down the hillside towards the three beasts and the strange skull object in the snow, easily seen from above. The hunter was quickly closing in on his prey, arms outstretched to tackle them and-

Ka-thunk.

YEOWCH!

The two sounds followed in quick succession as my toe crashed into a buried rock and tripped me up, sending me careening down the hill through the snow, gathering into a giant ball as I rolled. As the hill began to flatten, I slowed down, rolling to a halt before the three Blades members. My head, feet and hands were all that stuck out from the snowball, and a hot flush rose in my cheeks. "U-uhm... hi?" I squeaked from my frozen prison.

With a quick nod to Mack for allowing him to lead this mission himself, the hunter turned leader.  His face got more serious than before as he looked upon his teammates.  Both of them had more mitigation than himself, but the information from every other completion of this quest would tell the story.  The creature that they were to hunt today had a special ability, which cut through ones armor to deal more damage than it should.  With that, it would be impractical to let there be any chances.

"Alright, the hunt today will take place in this vicinity.  The creature is the Snow Beast that resides in this cave.  It is known to have a partial phase which can damage through armor.  However, with our current team, I don't think that will be a problem."

After a short pause, the hunter continued.

"Xion, I want you to make the first attack.  Though you will be at risk, I have faith that either you will paralyze the enemy, or possibly damage it with thorns."

He looked to his commander.

"Mack, I want you to attack next.  If Xion misses, I need you to take the aggro as your mitigation is higher.  Also, if he does paralyze it, we'll have a free hit on the beast for a time."

Taking the bone from the ground, he held it over his head aiming for the skull next to him.  It was at that point that a certain fellow came down from the far side in a snow boulder.  It was the Pugilist, Grave.

"Oh good, I needed another hard hitter.  Just hit it until it dies, Grave."

Leaving no time to explain to the fist user what they were doing, the hunter slammed the bone into the skull.  The dull thrumming that it made reverberated into the cavern nearby, which was then followed by a loud bellowing that broke the snow that was encasing Grave.  From the cavern, a large furred creature appeared before them.  Its snarling maw dripping with blood as it slowly crept out of the dark expanse.

snow%2Bbeast%2B2.jpg

<<Snow Beast>>

HP 250
DMG 40
Ability - Partial Phase - Will do a minimum of 24 DMG regardless of mitigation.

[I will be controlling it on my next post.  Everyone attacks first]

Edited by Hirru

ID: 51390 

BD: 4 (kill me now) 

Xion nodded as Hirru talked them through the plan, Xion was to attack first, either immobilising the creature or punishing it with thorns if it attacks, if not Mack would pick up and do the damage that Xion could not. "Sounds fine to me...", he said before readying his weapon, spear poised and shield raised. But before he began his attack he hear a noise...that sounded like a fellow Brit. "Grave..." He said, don't tell me you fell over?" He asked with a chuckle before returning to the matter at hand. 

The tank charged at the beast, thrusting his weapon into the beast's thick coat of fur, but nothing, no damage, his spear had become caught in its shaggy fur. "Damn..." He cursed before wrenching his spear free, backing off with his shield raised. 

"Mack you're up, I'll try to either paralyse or stun it next rotation" he said 

Snow beast (250/250)

Xion (56/56) (13/13EN)

Mack (125/125) (30/30EN) 

Hirru (88/88) (22/22EN) 

Grave (64/64) (16/16EN)

Edited by Xion

OOC: Swing and a miss.

ID: 51397
BD: 3 (Miss)

Snow beast (250/250)
Xion (56/56) (13/13EN)
Mack (125/125) (30/30EN)
Hirru (88/88) (22/22EN)
Grave (64/64) (16/16EN)

Mack listened as Hirru outlined the plan of attack for going after the snow and ice monster. It wasn't quite the way the leader of the Crimson Blades would have done things, but it was a solid plan all the same. The ginger headed man nodded his head once to show that he understood. Taking the flat part of Invictus' bearded axe head, Mack wrapped once, smartly, on Grave's snowy prison and freed the fellow Blade from his bonds. "Quit screwing around," he admonished as Xion took off to launch his first attack when the beast appeared. Mack watched through narrowed eyes before moving into position and charging off in the direction of the snow beast. Invictus flashed in the air, but the mob merely held up a hand and stopped the axe midswing before picking up the third in command of the Knights of the Blood Oath using the axe that was attached to the warrior and then flinging him backwards.

Edited by Mack

(Way to start us off, you guys :D)

"Oof!" I grunted as I hit the soft snow below, my big white suit shattering from the combined efforts of the ringing skull and Mack's oversized weapon. "Way to let me down easy..." I grumbled, pulling my self up and patting myself off, watching the bloodied snow beast emerge from its hidey hole. "Holy crap, that is one ugly bastard." I remarked with a disgusted frown. "Alright, beat the crap out of it is all I have to do? Sounds good to me." I mused as I smacked my fists together. I frown came across my lips as I watched both Xion and Mack fail their attacks. "Bloody hell..." I sighed as I rushed in, the Snow Beast's arm still outstretched from hurling the axe-bearer. "Look, let me give us some help, eh?" I called out, leaping straight up, right leg extended upwards in a completely vertical kick. My <<Leaping Crane>> came down in a blade of electric blue, crashing into the monster's skull and slamming it to the earth, a circle of stars slowly spinning around its head. "Alright, free game, you guys! I need to back off for a while, that took a lot out of me."

ID: 51419 BD: 9 + 2 = 11

Sword Art Used: Leaping Crane - (8+2) x 1 x 7 = 10 x 1 x 7 = 70 DMG + Stun (10 NRG)

Party
Grave: 64/64 HP | NRG: 6/16 | D: 8 | M: 9 | T: 7 | A: 2 | E: 2 | HATE: 3
Xion: 56/56 HP | NRG: 11/13 (Remember, missing always takes 2 off)
Mack: 125/125 HP | NRG: 28/30
Hirru: 88/88 HP | NRG: 22/22

Enemies
Snow Beast: 180 HP | D: 40 | Stunned | Ability: Partial Phase

Edited by Grave

Watching the initial exchange unfold kind of reminded him of old times, back when they first tackled the first floor dungeon together.  Everyone missing a single enemy, even though they were ganging up on it.  If only Beoreson was with them, then it would be just like before, but Grave was a good enough substitute.  Especially when he shaved down the creatures health by quite a bit.  The power of his attack would send the Snow Beast reeling back.  With the opportunity, the hunter shot forward with sword aglow.  Five piercing thrusts shot into the beast before a final three slashes pushed the creature's health into the yellow.

"Alright!  Let's end it!"

Kicking back to a safe area, the hunter gave the quick vocal order to his team.

[ID: 51421]
[BD: 5+2] Hit
[Sword Art: Howling Octave] 8x1x8=64 dmg
[MD: 2] Stunned

Xion [56/56 hp // 11/13 en]
Mack [125/125 hp // 28/30 en] 
Hirru [88/88 hp // 22/22 en] (-8 en)
Grave [64/64 hp // 6/16 en]

Snow beast [116/250 hp] (-64 hp) [Stunned]

Edited by Hirru

ID: 51508

BD: 5 (come on!) 

Xion watched as Mack missed too, neither of them dealing damage  before Grave jumped in and stunned the beast, Hirru following up with a decent blow. 

"All right" Dion said with a grin before approaching the limp form of the creature, attempting to activate his snake strike sword art...but nothing, his spear didn't even glow. With a sigh he plunged his spear into the hulking mass of fur again, hoping for a hit but his spear did nothing. 

"I hate you Kayaba" he said, scowling as he backed off 

Xion [56/56 hp // 10/13 en]
Mack [125/125 hp // 28/30 en] 
Hirru [88/88 hp // 22/22 en] 
Grave [64/64 hp // 6/16 en]

Snow beast [116/250 hp]  [Stunned]

ID: 51510
BD: 2 (Still following Xion's example ;))

Party
Grave: 64/64 HP | NRG: 6/16 | D: 8 | M: 9 | T: 7 | A: 2 | E: 2 | HATE: 3
Xion: 56/56 HP | NRG: 10/13 (Remember, missing always takes 2 off)
Mack: 125/125 HP | NRG: 27/30 (+1, -2 ENG)
Hirru: 88/88 HP | NRG: 14/22

Enemies
Snow Beast: 116 HP | D: 40 | Stunned | Ability: Partial Phase

Mack moved forward to attack the Snow Beast at the same time as Xion darted in. When the tank to be sent his spear in the direction of the boss Mack took a neat sidestep to the left and sent a lateral swing of Invictus whistling just a few inches over Xion's head. It was a beautifully orchestrated miss. The attack missed Xion. The attack missed the Snow Beast. Luckily, the attack did massive damage to the air as it whistled through. The air would not be messing with anyone for a good long time. The damage Mack dealt the snow beast may have been zero, but the damage he had dealt to the pure clean air would last a lifetime.

Edited by Mack

I laughed and cheered as Hirru landed a clean strike on the Snow Beast. "You get that bastard, Hirru!" I shouted, before my face fell as I watched both the tank and the axeman missed. "Christ, you two, quit screwing around!" I shouted, rushing up to the snowman and taking a low stance, beginning my <<Delayed Sword>>. Purple flames engulfed my feet and I struck the Snow Beast in the ribs, before sending my left leg into his right knee. My right followed with a side kick to the stomach, before I sidestepped underneath an outstretched arm and sent my flattened hand crashing into the back of the monster's neck... but now I was exposed. "Ah, [censored]..."

+1 NRG

ID: 51582 BD: 9 + 2 = 11

Sword Art Used: Delayed Sword - (8 + 2) x 4 = 10 x 4 = 40 DMG (4 NRG)

Party
Grave: 64/64 HP | NRG: 3/16 | D: 8 | M: 9 | T: 7 | A: 2 | E: 2 | HATE: 6
Xion: 56/56 HP | NRG: 10/13
Mack: 125/125 HP | NRG: 27/30 (+1, -2 ENG)
Hirru: 88/88 HP | NRG: 14/22

Enemies
Snow Beast: 76 HP | D: 40 | Ability: Partial Phase

Edited by Grave

With more missing attacks, I began to wonder if this really was a re-run of our first floor adventure.  It really seemed like it, except that Xion was a spear user now, and that Mack was heavily overpowered now.  Also, Grave was our Beoreson, too, which kept the comedic relief position, it seemed.  After Grave continued his contribution, the hunter repeated his own, and threw out another eight hit combo that would knock the enemy into the red.  It was at that point that the hunter noticed the creature throwing down its claws into Grave, giving him a solid blow, but still in the green.

[ID: 51533]
[BD: 7+2] Hit
[Sword Art: Howling Octave] 8x1x8=64 dmg
[MD: 7] Hit 40-9=31 dmg

Xion [56/56 hp // 11/13 en] 
Mack [125/125 hp // 27/30 en] 
Hirru [88/88 hp // 7/22 en] (-8 en)
Grave [33/64 hp // 3/16 en] (-31 hp)

Snow beast [12/250 hp] (-64 hp)

Edited by Hirru

ID: 51971 

BD: 6 (HALLELUJAH) 

Xion gulped when he heard Mack's giant axe whistle past his head, missing both him and the beast "Too close for comfort Mack..." He said, well aware that if the blow had been a little lower Xion could have been killed due to Mack's insane damage output...or at the least sufficiently dazed. Next up was grave, who managed to get a good hit on the beast, along with Hirru, bringing it into the zone where Xion could actually kill it if he managed to land a crit. 

"Alright" he said, running up the the beast with renewed vigour, his spear glowing a brilliant blue as he activated his <<Snake strike>> sword art, the golden spear that he was wielding lashing out twice at the beast's neck in rapid succession, bringing it's health to such a low level that the fact he didn't kill it was almost painful.

Xion [56/56 hp // 8/13 en] (-4 en, +1)
Hirru [88/88 hp // 7/22 en] 
Grave [33/64 hp // 3/16 en] 

Snow beast [4/250 hp] (- 8 HP)

ID: 51973
BD: 1 (It's not funny, Ed.)

Mack [125/125 hp // 26/30 en] +1, -2 EN
Hirru [88/88 hp // 7/22 en] (-8 en)
Grave [33/64 hp // 3/16 en] (-31 hp)

Snow beast [4/250 hp] (-64 hp)

"Well, if you didn't need a responsible adult," Mack called in response to Xion's comment. Drawing Invictus back in both of his hands, the giant fighter sent the axe twirling end over end through the air as he lobbed it at the Snow Beast. All he needed to do was nick the creature with the business end of the weapon as it soared majestically through the air toward its intended target. Of course, the Snow Beast would catch the axe. Then it had to brandish the weapon with a look that very clearly said, "Ho, ho, ho... now I have a battle axe."

"Damn you, random number generator! Damn you!" With that the red-headed behemoth went tearing across the arena kicking up a veritable contrail of snow in his wake. When he had closed the distance, Mack dove into the Snow Beast and planted his shoulder into the creature's midsection pile driving it into the snow using his combat training from the real world which, of course, cause absolutely no damage to the Snow Beast.

"DIE!" Mack drew back a fist and rammed it into the Snow Beast's face. "DIE!" The right fist was closely followed by the left. "DIE!" Mack's head darted forward and he headbutted the creature. "THAT'S MINE!" His fingers wrapped themselves around the haft of Invictus and he jerked it free with such force that he tumbled off of his perch on top of the creature. Quick as a flash, Mack was back on his feet, sprinting over to the Snow Beast and kicking it repeatedly in the ribs and the head.

Edited by Mack

I whooped in joy as Hirru struck the beast again, chopping that circular yellow bar down to the red. "Alright, Hirru!" I cheered, watching Xion take his approach and lash out. "Go Xion!" I shouted as his spear struck the monster... but fell silent when I watched the measly decrease in HP. I tried stifling a laugh, back of my hand against my mouth... but failed miserably and ended up bursting into laughter. My roaring only increased when I watched Mack's axe fall into the opponent's grasp. "U-uh oh, that bastard's in trouble!" I shouted, watching Mack start beating the crap out of the Snow Beast, retrieving his axe and continuing his onslaught. I could not pass up my chance. I quickly followed up and took position opposite Mack, layng my own onslaught of non-damaging stomps on the creature's body and head. "Hey, guys, come join in!" I shouted to the other two.

+1 NRG

ID: 51981 BD: 5 (3 + 2)

Party
Grave: 33/64 HP | NRG: 2/16 | D: 8 | M: 9 | T: 7 | A: 2 | E: 2 | HATE: 6
Xion: 56/56 HP | NRG: 11/13 | HATE: 1
Mack: 125/125 HP | NRG: 26/30
Hirru: 88/88 HP | NRG: 7/22 | HATE: 2

Enemies
Snow Beast: 4 HP | D: 40 | Ability: Partial Phase

Edited by Grave

This was bad!

That was his thought after he watched half of Graves health fall from the first hit, and everyone else doing meager or no damage.  If Grave was hit again, he would die!  This was a bad situation!  Heck, if it wasn't for the fact that Hirru knew Mack, he would think that this situation was horribly going wrong.  With the entire team trying to get in some fun in the fight, the hunter only saw an opportunity.  With Solace glowing blood red, the hunter shot forward with an attack that would sound like a fighter jet blasting through the sound barrier.  Striking the snow beast, the hunter flashed through with the art continuing on for a short distance.  The boss roared a final time before stopping awkwardly, and shattering to many pieces.

"That... could have gone... better."

The hunter said when the cooldown from the art had ended.  

[ID: 51983]
[BD: 6+2] Hit
[Sword Art: Vorpal Strike] 1x5x8= 40 dmg
[LD: 12+1] 250x5= 1250 Col

Hirru [88/88 hp // 3/22 en] (-8 en)
Grave [33/64 hp // 2/16 en]

Snow beast [0/250 hp] (-40 hp) [+1 Mat] [+1 Essence of Steel]

Edited by Hirru

Mack watched through narrowed dark eyes as Hirru darted in and put the final attack on the Snow Beast to kill it. Interestingly enough, all of the work to kill the creature had been accomplished by Hirru, Grave, and Xion as their fearless and peerless leader had never managed to land a single blow. "Gather your stuff up and let's get back to Snowfrost Town to get this thing turned in," the crimson headed leader of the Crimson Blades groused. Clearly, the enormous fighter was in a bad mood about the way the fight had gone as a whole. Mack wasn't a big fan of being shown up by the rest of the Knights when he was supposed to be both the heavy hitter and the damage sponge for this quest.

[Out of combat.  Post order doesn't matter.]

"Alright, let's fall out."

He would say to his guildmates before heading down the mountain towards the main town of the fourth floor.  As they walked on, the hunter would be left and abreast of Mack, which gave him enough room to asked about something that was on his mind.  They had not been a group for some time, and he wondered if everyone remembered.

"That reminded me of the first time that all of us met.  The first floor dungeon, seems like so long ago, now."

Of course, Grave wouldn't know, but that was fine.  They didn't meet until the second floor, which was why they were venturing through the first floor dungeon, to get to the second without using the warp point.  It was an weird adventure all of its own, but the times have changed since then.  Everyone was much stronger, and one of them was even fighting on the front lines.

"We've changed so much."

I whined when Hirru came through and turned the creature into mincemeat in a final slice. "Aww... we were having fun..." I stuck my tongue out at the green haired hunter, before placing my hands behind my head and looking to Mack. His expression was wrought with disappointment and slight irritation; he was not happy that he had not hit the beast once, and I had no wish to anger him by bringing the subject up. I followed Hirru and Mack's lead back towards Snowfrost, Xion at my side. The two in front began speaking of a dungeon on the first floors where they all met, and I honestly have to say I felt quite left out. But I chose not to interrupt and let them talk about what sounded like a wild adventure; I know I would not want a bragging session interrupted by anyone.