PP-F13 ' ...' (Life)

Floor 13 was thus far the most depressing floor Mari had seen. It was a vast and desolate wasteland. It's lifeless and barren surface marred by countless tombstones, crosses and unmarked graves. The very air had the distinct scent of decay and rot. The dust and dirt that was lifted with the dancing winds stung Mari's eyes, she blinked and rubbed them. Mari should have been shocked by the sight, but she wasn't, rather....it bought up unfavourable memories that left a dry feeling in the back of her throat. Mari stepped away from the door that lead back to the 12th floor - and down into the field of death. 

Her stead into the unknown was silent, there was no life, no sounds of the wind rustling through trees, nor a babbling river, no solitary caw from an overhead crow. Just silence, as though the floor itself had some sort of reticence or adversity to anything that would show any form of life. Mari trudged along the ground, and her footsteps bought forth that which was absent.

Sound.

The dirt crunched loudly beneath her feet. She could hear the rhythm of her steady heartbeat - the only certainty she had that she was still alive. If one could call what she was living, Mari absentmindly shifted the pace of her walk to match that of her heartbeat.

Ba-dum, Badum, 
Step, Step,

The lone Pker held out a hand as she walked, and let it glide along the unkempt surface of the tombs that she passed. Every so often she'd pause, her small fingers delicately brushing off the dust to reveal names of strangers. What was it she was looking for? Why did Mari bother to come up here? Whatever it was she wanted...it wouldn't be in this place, and yet...

Mari brushed aside her hair, placing it behind her ear, her head glanced to and fro as her blue eyes danced along the dotted graves.

And yet...

It felt almost right to be here.

Mari soon happened upon a large tombstone, it was intricate and reminded her of one of those lavish ones that stuck out like a sore thumb amidst the more modest signs of a life once lived. This grave, was a large crumbling stone statue - sat upon a pedestal. It looked to be the Virgin Mary, although her arms were spread out and bound by chains. Mari knealt down to wipe the dust off the name plate, but the writing was illegible. "mmm..." Mari hauled herself up onto the platform, and rested her back against the stone figure. One leg dangled over the side - and the other propped up against her chest. "So this is what Aincrad has to offer these days."

It had been awhile since Life had gone gathering materials for Mayuri and he had yet to explore the 13th floor yet. His absence from the front lines seemed not to phase anyone, which was fine by him but slightly saddening that no one even knew who he was. Though, after everything that had happened so far, It might be for the best that no one does. Life sighed softly and began to explore the area, It didn't seem very welcoming to life; extremely barren, wasted, useless, he doubted he'd get any materials here. It didn't hurt however to take a look around and see if there was anything unsuspecting that it might have to offer. He doubted that the floor was entirely without purpose. 

Life moved across the field without much of a sound at all, as his steps were light and swift. He wondered about his future, not just in the game, but outside of it. What would he do if he managed to escape? His train of thought was interrupted as he caught a glimpse of pink somewhere in the distance. He squinted to see if he wasn't just imagining it. When he realized who it was his eyes widened. Sitting beside a large stone statue, was Mari. He stepped forward towards her excited at first, but then hesitated, he wasn't entirely sure how to approach her at all. What if she attacked him again? There was no guarantee that he was safe around her. 

Life sighed heavily.

He began to move towards her heavily, gradually getting closer towards her until he was at talking distance with her but not too close. He waited for a moment and gazed at her, wondering. A breeze rolled past, causing his hair and kimono to also move with it. He opened his mouth to speak and drew in a short breath "It's been a long time, Mari"

She wasn't sure when, but at some point between resting her back against the cool stone, and now - her eyes had fluttered close. Her body, tired and worn was on the verge of slumber as reality would merge into dreams, or was it the dreams seeping into her reality? 

Blue orbs fluttered behind heavy lids as the sounds of another approached, Mari was sluggish - her conscious dancing between delusion and whatever tangible existence she held in the game - perhaps that's why she didn't react when she saw the all too familiar visage of Life. Mari just closed her eyes again. He wasn't there. At least that is what she told herself. The Life that she knew, that she once shared kinship with had long since left, no - died. Whatever shreds of friendship they once held were torn apart by venomous words, calculating actions, and little flames of hope each being extinguished. Each action so carefully and tenderly thought out with one intention in mind. To break Mari. 

It wasn't until he spoke, that Mari opened her eyes to stare at him once again. "So you're real." She muttered as she slowly lifted her head up off her knee. Their eyes locked - twin oceanic shades, each with their own story, their own pain, speaking words that would never be heard. 

"What do you want now?" Mari asked, "Come to break me some more? Toy with ghosts of the past again? What will it be this time, mmmm? My daughter? Alkor? Those school kids? No...using Evelyn was always your favourite wasn't it?" Mari mused, her words empty, as she turned her gaze lazily to the side, watching as she twirled strands of pink hair around her index finger. 

"Whatever it is, I really don't care any more. I'm done. Do what you need to do then piss off."

Life's gaze dropped to the side for a moment as her words struck him, of course, it was only fair. He was surprised she didn't attack him, it seemed as though her will had deteriorated considerably. Though, it was good to see she still had enough to spite him. Ironically, her spite made him feel better, as if it were to make up for some of the pain he caused her. Nothing would never come close it, but it was something. 

The truth was, Life missed his friend, and he knew Mari did too. He just hoped that there was a chance that he could reconcile, it seemed unlikely. His eyes trailed back to hers as he spoke "I remember... I remember everything now" He wished he didn't but if he hoped to understand what she went through then it was necessary. "What I put you through.. the things I did to you... all of it" His stomach churned slightly as he began to recall his attempts at making her, a monster. "There are no words that I can say, or that I can ever hope will make up for the things I did. But I'm sorry.. I had no control of myself, you know that... right?" He hoped that she remembered that bat [censored] crazy A.I. After all, she did also have some experiences with her. "Maybe I was just weak, maybe I deserve to die for what I did to you. I really wish I could take it all back. If I could, I would.. you were my best friend Mari.. you know that... right?" Life struggled to keep the tears from welling up underneath his eyes and tried to steady his breathing. 

Mari didn't catch Life's gaze, as it fell to the ground with the weight of his past actions, his guilt reflected in soft, half lidded eyes. The two exchanged no words in those moments. That's how Mari had always preferred it, silence over noise. Peace over turmoil. Life spoke, his voice soft, as he attempted to find his own resolve. He stated that he remembered everything, and what he did - his voice broke as a heartfelt apology spilled out from his lips. 

Mari made a small noise, "mm..." Still not bothering to look at Life, if she had - perhaps she'd see the sincerity that the tone of his words conveyed reflected in pained blue orbs, perhaps she'd breath a small sigh of relief and acceptance - and the two could begin the slow but sure road to reconciliation. She'd offer him a small but faint smile to show that she was able to pick up the broken pieces of their past. The two would be wary of each other, carefully treading turbulent waters. They'd never be how they were in the past, but that's ok - because they'd still be.

Of course, that would be if she had glanced over at Life. Even for a moment. But. She had not.

"No control..." Mari breathed the words as she heard them, she understood the words, hell, she had lost control herself on several different occasions - but each one of those times her actions and her demeanour were irrational, crazed. They were short explosions that died down just as quickly as they had erupted. Sure....she had no control, but those times were short lived. What Life did, that was different - slow - calculated.

"Each venomous word, every toxic touch, it was all premeditated. Predetermined. How can you claim you weren't in control, when all those actions were so composed?" Mari had emphasised the last word, and it was evident in her tone that she was bothered by his admission, confused even. A part of Mari wanted to call Life a f**king idiot for stating that he deserved to die. No one should have death thrust upon them, Mari just didn't have the heart or the will to do so.

"You treat your best friends like toys." 

Mari muttered, her words barely above a whisper; did Life hear them? Who knew. If he did, perhaps he would hear the pained tone that Mari unwittingly spoke with. If Life was looking at her, perhaps he'd see the quiver of her lip, or how she forced her eyes shut with furrowed brows as she attempted to push down all the pain into a tiny ball surrounded by wall upon wall within herself.

Sadly, this life, both in reality and within the virtual world of SAO; does not adhere to the principle of if's, buts and maybes. It relies on the actions of each stubborn individual.

Devastated were the only words that could describe how Life felt as Mari had not even bothered looking at him before continuing with guilting him. He knew already well enough what he had done, why... why did it have to persist. Why couldn't he just.. be done with it all. He had no desire to harm her, hurting her was like shooting himself in the foot. If he could simply not give a damn.. to just, crack a smile, spout a quip and walk off. He would. It would be so much easier if he could just not care. But he did care, It wasn't as if he loved her so why did he care so much? Perhaps in such times like these, friends were a valuable companionship. It did not matter in what state, the important part was that it made living easier. Maybe it would be better off if he had no friends, he didn't deserve to live easier, did he? Perhaps..

He didn't know if he had the resolve to continue speaking, so he continued to listen, watching her in agony. Looking, watching, hoping for any sign that could lead him to believe that it was not all for naught. A whisper, a faint murmur, that he could barely make out. It had not mattered what was said, but what mattered was that she had said it. He could read the expression on her face as it was muttered and he knew it all to well. He could feel his own betrayal etched into her heart. He could feel her trying to push the pain away. Neither of them liked this. 

He tried to speak, but he choked on his words before he could make out an audible sound. "I..." He swallowed painfully, a lump stuck in his throat that refused go down. What meaning did his words really have now anyway? He would walk away, if he had not seen her pain. He rubbed his eyes before the tears could begin to fall and took in a deep breath trying to start again. "I can't.. I can't explain it. There isn't a single excuse that I can make that will make you believe me" Though if she would... "...And there is no reason why you should trust me right now. I don't expect you to. So I will try... I will try to earn it back. If you would let me" But.. she wouldn't.. would she. 

"I.." He paused. Maybe he should just quit.. but he promised Alkor.. He promised that he would at least deliver his message. "If not then... I can understand that." He took another moment before continuing. "But at least give me a little more of your time so I can tell you one last thing.."

• 5 months later...

There was a long silence between the two, as Life internally struggled with his past actions, and the weight they held. Seeing first hand with such clarity the catalyst they had become for Mari's downfall. How the once vibrant girl he knew crumbled, and sat before him the defeated person she was now. And Mari, she sat in silence - tired of the world. Tired of falsehoods and friendships. Tired of people betraying her, leaving her, and dying. This world was cold, and harsh - not unlike reality. The one thing, no...the two things that would ever make her want to survive the hell of this game were long gone.

Life started to speak, choking on his own words. Mari chanced a glance up - and saw Life for what he was now. inconsolable, broken, and pained. If Mari had not just experienced utter betrayal at the hands of Lowenthal, she'd almost react to Lifes angst. However, Mari was incredibly guarded - perhaps now, more so than ever. She dare not let such theatrics hinder her, to push her into a false sense of friendship. 

"You can try." Mari muttered, as she turned her attention away from him to stare back at the ground. "Try all you like. I have no trust left to give. I'm done. I give an inch and it all ends the same." There was no way he could possibly know what she was referring to, the two had been out of contact for so long. There was very little chance that Life would know about the events that unfolded on that fateful day she took an innocents life. No way he could possibly know that Mari - the cold hearted pink PKer was slowly opening up to a young Lowenthal - only to have him draw his blades upon her. All just for meaningless items. Life may know, if he was a daring sleuth - regardless. It was not something Mari would elaborate on.

"Time isn't mine to give. I told you. You can do what you want. I'm not moving from here. Say what you want, do what you want. Play whatever mind games you wish. You can't break me any more than I already am."