[PP-F2] Finding Her Voice «Earning a Living»

Urbus was a quaint town and one of her favorite floor capitols, though perhaps to be called 'town' would be an understatement. Though the buildings were under developed due to the medieval architecture, the place itself was rather large, sitting in the crater of a mountain. Or perhaps dormant volcano? Regardless, the point was that it was huge and open aired and one of her favorite hangouts besides the Town of Beginnings. What was with the developers and understatements? She wasn't here just for the sights though. The blonde had been thinking for a while, really for months now, about taking up a profession. She had been busy getting a grip on herself and helping other panicked people when the game first truly began. Then she was sort of adopted by the Crusaders. After that, they focused more on helping people. They helped other professionals than take up professions themselves. The most popular of them being blacksmithing, tailoring and alchemy. The least popular being fishing and performing. Fishing she could understand, they were pretty much entirely dependent upon cooks. But performers? They were Aincrad's bards and there was a surprising lack of them to be honest. She had helped other players with their Earning a Living quests plenty of times before. But never a performer. She had no idea how they even worked, though the idea was appealing. She liked music as a hobby. Knew how to sing, read music and play piano and very very little guitar. But her passion had always been writing and playing games. If only there was a profession that revolved around that, heh. Sam debated for a long while before deciding that perhaps she consult a more veteran player. Mack seemed like he knew a lot about this game and he was certainly a respectable level. So she shot him a PM.

TO: Mack
SUBJECT: Performer
BODY:
-  Hey Mack, do you know anything about Performers? Or how to become one? How they do their stuff? Trying to find one in Urbus since I couldn't find any in the Town of Beginnings but not having any luck.

Mack glanced up from his work at the Wandering Forge on the Fourth Floor of Aincrad at the sound of an incoming personal message. Laying aside his smithing hammer for a moment, the hulking red-headed man swiped a finger in the air in front of him to pull up the menu. After scrolling through it for a few seconds he found the incoming message in question and quickly read it. It wasn't as if the missive was a terribly long one. He considered possible replies, for the moment, and then typed out an easy response. 'I'm on my way.' That was all the message said and then the gigantic red-headed man tapped the send button. Samriel's message represented a chance to continue trying to recruit the blonde healer in training into the Knights of the Blood Oath. Beyond that, given the way recent events had gone with Piera and Opal it seemed pretty clear that pursuing the former was a definite non-starter and the ginger giant had never been interested in the latter in that way. Especially not now since she was his superior officer within the guild. Therefore, turning his eye in a different direction seemed prudent and it would have been difficult to miss the fact that Samriel was a woman. Scrolling through his inventory of personal items, the blacksmith equipped his white trimmed crimson guild cloak and closed up the shop before setting off through the gently falling snow.

Within just a few moments the portal plaza in Urbus. Moving down the few steps of the portal platform the giant of blacksmith scanned the crowd and quickly picked out the blonde woman before making his way in her direction, the small crowd of players and computer generated characters parting before him. "So, you've decided on a profession, have you," Mack asked in a deep, resonating tone, crossing his arms over his broad chest and waiting for Samriel to respond one way or the other to the question.

Still wandering around Urbus blindly and occasionally trying to catch a player and ask them if they knew of any Performer shops, to no avail, Samriel looked up at the message tone. Swiping it open, she blanched with perplexed expression. "Wha...? I didn't..." She reviewed the message she had sent him and sure enough, she didn't say anywhere that she needed his help, though she supposed she could have worded it better. She hadn't written in too long, she was getting rusty. Then she began to realize that he would be showing up somewhere here soon....and she needed to find him. "Frick." Looking around, the blonde eventually found her way back to the main plaza where the portal was. It took her just long enough that she wasn't sure if he might already be here somewhere, looking for her, and turned to scan the area. It wasn't like he would be hard to find. The man was practically two normal men combined, in both size and height, somehow managing to be simultaneously ridiculous and impressive.

Hopping periodically to try and see over the small crowd around her, the blonde then jumped slightly for an entirely different reason when she heard a low rumbling male voice directly behind her. Whirling around with her hand over her heart, Sam let out a sigh, her eyes rolling while she shook her head in exasperation. "Jeez Mack, cough or something." Half-heartedly glaring up at the blacksmith after she registered his question, she deflected for a moment, "I didn't ask you to come down here. You didn't need to drop what you were doing or anything. I just wanted to know if you knew anything about performers since you seem like an experienced guy." Crossing her arms in the same manner as him she then replied, "But yes, I have."

"I volunteered," Mack replied, shrugging his broad shoulders and rolling his head around on his neck as he drew back the white trimmed crimson hood of his cloak. "There should be an NPC performer's shop in the far northeastern portion of the walls of Urbus. The shop is, literally, built right into the walls of the town," he continued, settling a hand on the blonde woman's shoulder and beginning to direct her towards the shop. As was typically the case, given his tremendous size, the crowds of people parted before him as Moses parting the Red Sea. Soon enough they had left the plaza behind as their feet thudded on the cobblestoned streets in the direction of the only Performer's Shop in Urbus. "You know, there are performer's shops all over the Town of Beginnings, why pick Urbus?"

Samriel stared down, or rather up, at the hulking man for a moment before sighing in defeat. "Fine fine." Relaxing her crossed arms to rest a hand casually on her hip while the other hung loose at her side, the blonde's eyebrows rose at the very specific information that he gave her. "Huh. See, I just knew you were the right guy to ask." Quirking an eyebrow as he put a hand on her shoulder and started her steering her in the direction rather than simply leading, she noted the path he had managed to carve simply by walking in a direction. "Heh, nice trick. Y'know, you're very...touchy." She commented, stating the obvious. At the red head's question concerning her choice of locale, Sam frowned. "Lies. The only ones I found that weren't abandoned have been taken over by players and they couldn't give me the quest. Has to be an NPC performer." She had a sinking feeling concerning the abandoned shops though. There were more and more of them in the Town of Beginnings and not just performers.

"Oh," Mack asked, grateful for the fact that his red hair and beard camouflaged a blush very easily. Not that the hulking man blushed all that easily. The truth was he was a little bit handsy with just about everyone, once he got to know them a bit. But, he was a lot a bit handsy with women he really liked, though not in an inappropriate way. "I'm always the right guy to ask and you don't seem to mind me being handsy," the blacksmith continued, settling an arm around Samriel's shoulders. "You've never complained about it and, besides, it's not like there's anything inappropriate going on. I mean, it's not like you've tried to touch my special no-no place," the ginger giant continued in a completely deadpan tone, smirking and making the implication that if anyone were being inappropriate it was Samriel.

Samriel thought that 'oh' was a rather lackluster response to her statement, obvious or not. Did he not think that she would notice or something? Or did he simply not know how to reply? But reply he eventually did, which caused her to narrow her eyes shrewdly as she craned her neck to look sidelong and upwards at the man. Just before she burst into chuckles, her face lit up from the laughter as her shoulders bounced under his arm. "Yet." She corrected with a teasing grin. "But you're right. I suppose I'm just not used to men being so forward. Or at least not used to them being forward and not sleazy." Their walk along the road was a leisurely one, though slightly forced on Mack's part most likely since Sam could only walk so fast to keep up with his longer stride. "How do you know about this place anyway? Do you know many performers?"

"Well, if it will make you feel better I sniff your hair and ask you to send me wildly inappropriate pictures," Mack replied in a droll, deadpan tone. "I could also break into your rooms and watch you sleep at night. But, remember, that giant bat bit me so I'm a vampire now. That makes it not creepy," the red head continued with a smirk, referencing a series of books and movies that had been quite popular when he was in Middle School and High School. Books and movies that the ginger man had certainly never read nor seen, but which everyone was familiar with thanks to the wonderful world of internet memes. "But, I think it's easier, really, to simply pursue the person I want in a blindingly obvious but not overly X-rated manner. I haven't exactly noticed you telling me to buzz off, even after I gave you a queen's ransom worth of jewels on that gear you've got," he continued, giving the blonde a side hug with the arm he had draped around her shoulders.

"As for knowing performers, I really only know one," he rumbled, shrugging his shoulders as the pair moved away from the more crowded areas of Urbus and out towards the wall of the settlement. "And I found this place when I was down around your level and spending a lot of time in and out of both Urbus and the Town of Beginnings. Spent a fair amount of time wandering around to find things, I like knowing my way around," the burly balcksmith continued, shrugging his shoulders.

"Please no." Samriel stated, her expression blank and utterly void of any humor, though did hold signs of some mock trepidation. When he made the vampire joke again though, she couldn't help but roll her eyes, an exasperated yet amused smile gracing her face as she replied with sarcasm, "Oh obviously. The sparkles immediately negate all creepiness. That and the angst of course." Peering up at the redhead she commented, "Definitely need to work on your angsty face. Must be hard when you're a seven foot tall statue of pure masculine musculature." It was a ridiculous guess, but to the much shorter woman, it certainly seemed accurate, though the flattery was real.

Eyebrows raised at his leading statement, her mouth opened slightly when he mentioned the 'queen's ransom worth of jewels' that he had given her. "You-! That-! That did not count." The blonde insisted with a finger pointed at him insistently. "You were handing out free stuff left and right to every player that walked in, men and women, I wasn't any different." Slowly beginning to connect the dots that he had otherwise laid out, Sam was quiet for a moment. "So you think this is blindingly obvious, hm?" She gestured between them before continuing with a singularly arched eyebrow, "How is a lady to gauge your intentions though sir?" The woman's tone was coy and her smile matched it.

They were wandering into the less crowded and thus quieter part of town and she recognized the edge of the mountainous crater that housed Urbus not too far off. Nodding in understanding she replied, "I'm fairly sure I could walk around the Town of Beginnings blind if I really needed to. I haven't visited Urbus much though. Just passed through." Glancing up curiously at the blacksmith she inquired, "Is it this performer friend of yours that we're visiting or an NPC?"

"Clearly the sparkles make it alright, but you make a good point. I haven't had nearly enough angst, and since you've noted I'm much larger than the normal person I need a considerably beefier amount of anxst," Mack rumbled in response to the blonde, trying to school his features into an angst-filled expression and likely failing in epic fashion. "Sam, I'm worried that Chewie doesn't like me," the blacksmith began, trying to sound choked up. "I heard from Paula the Chris just got a new axe and it's bigger than mine," he continued, swinging around in front of the blonde and resting his forearms on each of her shoulders in preparation for pulling out the anxty version of the show stopper. "Sam, I'm pregnant and it's yours," he rumbled, eyes wide for a moment before resuming his spot next to the woman with his arm draped over her shoulders.

"Yes, blindingly obvious," Mack agreed, nodding his head. "As for the armor, you're the only person that got a full set of rare quality items. Most everyone else only got one and gauging my intentions should be easy enough, we've already been through it. I've not sniffed your hair, or broken into your room to watch you sleep all night which, again, isn't creepy because I'm a vampire now, and I've not asked you to send me wildly inappropriate pictures. I'll even do you one better, I've not offered to send you any wildly inappropriate pictures either, I've not even suggested that we go into battle as the ancient Gaul's did which, by the way, generally was au naturale," he concluded, steering Samriel nearer and nearer to the shop in question.

"But, given the way you chowed down on that loaf of bread while fighting the giant bats, probably the most direct route is with extravagant gifts of deliciousness," the soldier concluded, conveniently leaving out the fact that this meant that the blonde and his grizzly companion had a good bit in common. "Last I knew, this performer was an NPC," he rumbled, stopping before a heavy looking wooden door with a sign bearing two crossed trumpets on it and gesturing to Samriel to go ahead and enter.

As the burly man tried his best to be as angsty as possible, Samriel's hand covered her mouth as she attempted to stifle her laughter. Though it grew harder and harder to do with each burst of angst. Finally she lost it at the last one, coughing and laughing roughly before immediately backing away when he tried to drape his arm over her again. "Whoa whoa whoa there cowboy. You can't just give me as news big as that and act like nothing! I want a maternity test." The blonde crossed her arms.

When Mack explained about the armor, her right hand raised to her neck, rubbing it slightly in a sign of awkwardness. "Well I mean if I'd noticed that I probably would've given one or two back... I didn't really need all that. Coulda gone to other players." She could still give one of the items to someone who needed it more, but now it seemed a bit rude to do. It wasn't like she was unappreciative of them after all. At the redhead's statement of what he hadn't done was enough to declare his intentions, the healer rolled her eyes mightily. "Your restraint is legendary I'm sure." Though her ears were a little warm at that last part. "You get a gold star for not being a creepy douche." Chewing on the inside of her cheek when he made the astute observation on what she liked, Sam simply shrugged and said mysteriously, "Maybe. Guess we'll have to find out." Please let her find out. She had to play it cool though. Didn't want the guy to think she was just using him for his food gathering abilities, contrary to historical and scientific belief.

Nodding in acknowledgement as he answered her question about the performer they were about to meet, Samriel craned her neck to look over the front of the shop they had stopped in front of. It was simple looking place. The window panes showed a few instruments that the blonde didn't think existed in Aincrad, not that she knew how to play them anyways. As soon as she entered the building, soft melodic music washed over them. There were numerous instruments laid out meticulously in the room and not for show either. It seemed one could go right up and play them if they were inclined. Sheets of music were framed on the wall and in between there were shelves where recording crystals floated atop of. But the music playing wasn't coming from any of them. An instrumental piece with no lyrics, though it sounded as if there should be. In fact it very nearly sounded familiar.

But before she could think more on it, a joy filled male voice called out to them right before the music ceased. "A customer! How can I help you?" Looking around to see where the NPC was hiding, Sam blinked as a rather plain yet somehow kind looking man stepped out from a wall that she hadn't realized lead to a back room. "Oh, um, I'm not a customer." This didn't seem to dissuade him however as he pressed again, "How can I help you then?" Realizing she needed to properly trigger the right conversation topic to lead to the quest, the blonde scratched at her head behind her ear as she explained, "I'm interested in becoming a performer." Her answer provoked an immediate response, the dark haired man seemed to swell and glow with exuberance as he replied, "That's magnificent! The world could always use more talent! What are your talents? Singing? Dancing? What instruments can you play?"

Samriel blanched before quickly replying, "No dancing. I can sing. I know how to play piano and a little bit of guitar." Nodding, the NPC sighed, "Not many choose to dance. Quite an art form though. But if you can play your own music and sing along, then you have the makings of a performer!" Nodding in relief, the healer asked pointedly, "So how do I get started?" The NPC seemed to survey her closely before answering more seriously, "You'll need to get a recording crystal and, well, perform." His exuberance was starting to return as he insisted, "Really pour your soul into it! Use your heartstrings as your instrument and let me hear your emotions!"

Lavender eyes widening and looking at Mack with some concern, she hesitantly interrupted, "U-Um-" But the performer didn't allow her to as he stated, "Only when I hear your composition and gauge your passion will I sign off on you becoming a part of our exclusive ranks!"  'Not like many people are signing up to join buddy...' Sam couldn't help but think wryly. Or perhaps NPCs like this were the reason more players hadn't tried this profession. Shaking her head she simply sighed and asked, "I'll give it my best go then. Can you give me a recording crystal?" When he shook her head, her eyes widened, "Why not?! Where am I supposed to get one?" The healer wasn't exactly rolling in col. "You can find them if you look hard enough. Even in the most unlikeliest of places. I warn you though, if your heart isn't into it, the crystal will be able to tell and break. It won't just record any old noise."

Giving the NPC a wry look, the blonde smiled tightly, holding back any further comments, sighs or eye rolling. Damn life like games making her want to argue with a computer. "Fine. I'll be back when I figure out how not to make an inanimate object break at the sound of my voice." Turning, her long braid whipped slightly behind her as she exited the shop. Glancing at Mack a little disgruntled she asked, "Is it too late to back out?"

"A maternity test!?!" Mack declared in as hurt a tone as he could muster, which didn't sound all that hurt, as Sam backed out from under his arms. "After all we've been through," he continued, jutting out his bottom lip in a ridiculously overblown sad face. "What would Magda say to that, if she knew you didn't trust me enough to know that the baby I'm carrying is yours," the gigantic axe man concluded, jutting out his stomach and rubbing his belly gaudily with both hands. Feeling that the general angst filled joking had run its course, he settled back into step with the blonde woman as they continued on their way.

"You're a support player, they need more help," Mack rumbled, shooting a pointed look towards Samriel. "You don't get any bonuses, yet, from armor or weapon skills. Therefore, you need better equipment. Besides, we've already talked about this... blindingly obvious. I wasn't just speaking figuratively, with that gear it's quite literal. But, if I need to be a... how did you put it? 'Creepy douche'? I can do that too," the lumbering ox continued, glancing sideways at Sam out of the corner of his storm grey eyes and noting that she was chewing on the inside of her cheek, however briefly, at the mention of food. Jackpot. "Why not find out tonight, I like a good investigation. Fourth floor, the Inn of the Dancing Polar Bear, they have a good stout beer and traditional, simple, fare. But it's good. Then, I'll show you the NPC trapper that I rent a room from, he's got a spare room so you'd have your own. The room comes with all the breakfast you can eat, before 0900 game time anyway, a bed that's much better than anything in the Inns, and a very impressive bathroom."

Mack pushed open the door to the performer's shop and allowed Samriel to enter before he did and then followed her in. While the blonde woman spoke with the shop owner, Mack only listened with about half an ear. Mostly, the gargantuan blacksmith wandered around the shop trying to avoid being a bull in a china shop while he examined various musical instruments. "I can dance," he called to the shop owner, deciding to leave out the fact that he had chosen the more noble, and useful, profession of blacksmithing. As a blacksmith, he could be considerably more helpful to himself and the lower-level players than he could be as a performer.

"Well, you could be a dancer instead," Mack offered in a musing tone, giving the curvy yet lithe blonde a semi-appraising look. "Or you could try artisanry, aren't many of them running around. Or fishing, my sister dearest is the only fisher I know. The old fisherman just gives you the rod and sends you out to fish. It's pretty simple." Mack shrugged his broad shoulders. "Of course, he also never said you couldn't just buy the recording crystals you need from him. There's a huge stack of them on the shelves there."

Her mouth twisting thoughtfully, Samriel eventually nodded in grudged acknowledgement at his point concerning her role and gear before it twisted into a slight smile. "Please don't." Referring to his offer of being a creepy douche. "Just...be you. Whoever that is." The blonde shrugged, her long braid fluttering with the motion before she tilted her head to considered his better offer. She was quiet for a long moment before replying with reserve, "I wouldn't mind having a drink with a friend. Maybe you could tell me more about your guild?" The healer may have been blonde, but she knew where this was likely leading, especially given the women she had seen around him before, but wasn't interested in such a big step yet.

When Mack had piped up to inform the NPC she had been speaking to that he could dance even though she couldn't, the blonde had shot him a 'look', half skeptical and a quarter amused and the last quarter annoyed. But had otherwise ignored his comment while she finished her conversation. Sighing as she walked towards the door of the shop, Samriel glanced over at her companion as he suggested that she could be a dancer instead. Chuffing a laugh and shaking her head she replied verbally, "I haven't danced in years. I don't remember enough to perform, that's for sure, not that I would anyways." She fussed with her bangs, looking away from his appraising eyes.

But at his suggestion of artisanry and fishing, the healer hummed thoughtfully. "I've never fished before. Aaand never made any jewelry. Though I can china paint, not sure if that'd be useful." Shrugging, Sam glanced back at the towering redhead as he suggested something that she hadn't thought of, causing her to pause mid step, frozen. Looking at the shelves he was speaking of. A shocked and exasperated expression passed over her as she turned on her heel and walked back up to the NPC. "Oy, you said you couldn't give me a recording crystal." Her tone was slightly accusatory, but didn't give him chance to react before she posed the question, "But can I buy one from you?" She didn't have a lot of col, but how expensive could they be? The point was moot however at his reply. "Oh no, that wouldn't do. I'm afraid I don't have any to sell." Brow furrowing in confusion, Samriel gestured to the shelves and asked, "What about all those?"

"Ah, those have already been recorded on. Those songs are for sale, but you won't be able to record over them. Once you record something onto a crystal, it's set on there until it's used up." Sighing, the healer hung her head before nodding, "I get it. Could I buy them from somewhere else though?" The man seemed to look a little indignant and stated, "A performer must rely on themselves. Think of it as a test." Giving Mack a wry look, she stated, "Now that I can believe. Guess it's off to dig up a recording crystal. Because that's a thing apparently." The idea was odd to her, but what was she to say when they were in a game?

Edited by Samriel

OOC: If you're alright with it we can dial in @Seul or @Lawfer on this thread for a round or two of posting. One of them could sell Samriel a recording crystal. Feel free to PM either one of them to see if they want to take part, I'm sure either would be more than happy to.

Before Mack had a chance to further explain his offer of dinner, drinks, and lodgings that were better than just about anything that could be found at an Inn in the world of Aincrad, Samriel begun speaking to the musician to obtain the quest to get her profession. So, not wanting to do anything to interrupt and, thus, potentially throw off the buxom blonde's ability to obtain the quest, Mack remained silent other than his brief remark about being able to dance. "I know some people that might be able to help," he muttered in a low tone to Samriel, returning to the shop's door and pushing it open. After waiting for her to exit ahead of him, Mack followed the blonde woman back out into the late morning sunshine in Urbus.

"I have a couple of guildmates that are performers. Lawfer and Seul, I imagine either one of them could sell you a recording crystal or, at the very least, they would know how to get one," Mack rumbled, crossing his arms over his chest. "As for a drink, that can be arranged, and we can discuss the guild and how to hunt down good deals in the game world. Better food, better housing, better everything," the gigantic axe man said, stretching his arms over his head and promptly settling one arm around the blonde's shoulders once again. "So, get ahold of my guildmates or not," he asked, quirking an eyebrow down at the blonde hammer wielding support player.

Glancing up at Mack as he stated that he knew people that could help, she paused upon his polite act, smiling to herself for a moment at a joke only known to her before shaking her head slightly and walking out the door he was holding for her. Squinting at the brighter light as they walked back onto the cobblestone street, the young woman peered up at the towering man before conveniently stepping to one side so that she was standing in his shadow, her eyes spared from the harsh light. Beaming up at the redhead, she considered his proposal with a thoughtfully impressed expression. "I've only met one real player that was a performer and you know not just one, but two? Maybe there is something to being in a guild..."

Linking her hands behind her and fiddling with the end of her braid, the blonde tilted her head as he brought up the drink from before they had entered the shop. Perking up at mention of good deals, Sam replied, "I can definitely get behind better everything as long as there's not too bad of a catch. Sounds like a plan. After we get this taken care of?" She gestured to the shop with her hand to signify that she was speaking of her becoming a performer. Squinting again when Mack moved beside her to hang his arm on her shoulders once more, Sam didn't otherwise comment on his move.

At his question, she nodded once. "Yeah, shoot 'em a message. Or should we just go to one of their shops? I have about four hundred col. You think that'll be enough for at least one?" Sam had never bought materials before, usually when the Crusaders had gathered them they had just donated them to the players that needed them or traded them with professionals for items.

"Well, it's only late morning. If you're wanting this to take all day then we should head out into the surrounding forest to do some farming," Mack rumbled, shrugging his broad shoulders though he kept his arm right where it was and, for the moment at least, refraining from contacting either Lawfer or Seul. "There's several caves around here with crystal formations and I have to imagine that one of them will have what you need to get a recording crystal. Besides that, by the time we finish this way it should be late enough to call it a day, get that dinner and a drink, and teach you about finding good deals in Aincrad," the hulking fighter allowed. "Or, if you prefer the easy way, then we could knock this out quick by talking to Lawfer or Seul and then hit another quest I know on the ninth floor and pick you up a nice support player healing item that I know about."

• 11 months later...

Listening to the many propositions caused Samriel's expression to vary, but not settle until it arrived at a thoughtful frown. But she couldn't think with him standing so close! With his arm around her and everything. Shrugging it off in what she hoped was a casual gesture, walking in a circle so that the sun wasn't shining in her eyes as harshly as she considered her options, arms crossed and finger tapping. "I think...." The blonde hesitated before nodding in decision. "Let's check out those caves. I'm sure your guildmates are great people, but I'd rather save up what col I have for now." She raised her head to meet the redhead's eyes, arching an eyebrow as she questioned, "And what makes you think taking me on a quest that's on the ninth floor could possibly be a good idea? Here I thought you liked me Mack. Guess I was wrong." She sighed semi-despondently with an accepting shrug. "As awesome as I'm sure whatever item it is you're talking about is, it's not worth me dying. And I definitely would if I went there. I'm kinda like three levels under the minimum requirement if you hadn't noticed. As soon as I step onto the floor, poof! No more Sam."

"To the caves it is then," the ginger man rumbled in a deep tone, choosing to ignore the fact that Samriel had shrugged off his arm yet again. He decided not to mention that he had intended to simply ask his guildmates to provide Samriel with the necessary crystal. Had they refused he had intended to follow up the request with a threat to set loose his fuzz faced familiar, Chewie, in their shops. The grizzly cub, as Mack well knew, would tear Lawfer's and Seul's shops into tiny little pieces in his ever evolving quest to find and devour all the food in Aincrad. The mere whisper of a threat to release Chewie into their shops, unsupervised of course, would have been enough to get them to cave in to what the Vice Commander wanted, although both men were so amiable anyway that they would probably have given into a simple and polite request.

"And I do like you, I never said you'd go to the ninth floor by yourself. That would be suicide," Mack rumbled, nodding sagely, as the pair of them headed for the main gates that led out into the forests beyond the town of Urbus on the second floor. "Obviously, I would come with you and there's nothing on the ninth floor that I can't handle. Except the heat. Volcanic floor, it's the worst," the big axe man continued, making a face of disgust as they passed beneath the stone gates of the town of Urbus and headed out along one of the paths in the direction of the caves that Mack had mentioned earlier.

Nodding with purpose, Samriel walked side by side on the path that lead out of town with the intention of finding these caves he'd mentioned. Completely oblivious of the hell that she had saved her companion's guildmates from.

Eyes narrowing at Mack's reply that he did like her and that she wouldn't be going alone, the blonde stayed silent as she waited for him to elaborate. Upon mention of not being able to handle the heat, her mind immediately envisioned the snowy floor that his shop was located. Made sense. Just going by his looks he nearly looked he could be from Russia. If only he had an accent...

Shaking her head slightly to clear her wandering thoughts as she considered the offer, Samriel frowned slightly. The thought of the man single handedly clearing such a high leveled and tempting quest for her was...rather unappealing honestly. Her pride railed against the idea, even as pathetically leveled as she was. She wanted to be able to achieve a high enough level that she wasn't useless. That she didn't have to have others clear things for her. Shaking her head slowly and seriously, the shield woman stated aloud finally, "No." Then remembering her manners added, "Thanks though. I'm going to wait until I've grinded enough to tackle it on my own."

As a small message popped up in front of her informing that she was leaving the safe zone, Samriel quickly opened her inventory to equip her rather eye catching armor, shield and weapon.

Mack shrugged his broad shoulders as they passed out of the wrought iron gates that, at some points during the day and evening, blocked people from gaining access to the town and its safe zone. Of course, the heavy gates also kept the monsters out, ostensibly at least, though Mack suspected that Sword Art Online's programming prevented any monsters from appearing in the safe zones. That being said, one would have assumed that the game's programming also would have included a log out button or a way to backdoor out of the game as a safety precaution, but no such luck. Drawing his axe, the towering Vice Commander settled Invictus over his shoulder and settled into an easy walking pace. It wouldn't do any good to move at his usual gait since his longer stride meant that Samriel might have a difficult time keeping up.

"Up to you," he rumbled in an easy tone. If Samriel preferred to wait for a bit until she was a higher level, that was entirely her business. "But, even at a good level parties are usually better than trying to tackle things alone," the cloaked soldier continued, moving from the small fields that surrounded the town of Urbus and into the green leafy forests proper. Within a few seconds they were being beset by a simple grey wolf that had appeared on the path. "Well, you can do it alone," Mack rumbled, gesturing towards the snarling canine. "Go get 'em, Tiger."