[OP-F1] The Atoner

Taste. The one thing that he hadn't anticipated about Sword Art Online was the ability of the players to taste things. Granted, here in Starting City the only taste there was were the same fifteen or so basic courses made by the various inns and taverns, for the purpose of restoring health and providing an avenue to spend some time away from fighting monsters, but still, Kane was impressed by the fact that the programmers had seemingly done the impossible by emulating the senses, right down to taste. That sociopath Ayaba thought of everything, he thought to himself.

It was a beautiful day in Aincrad, if it could be considered day at all, really. After the initial days of digital captivity turned panic into acceptance, Kane was tired of staying within the borders of the town. More than that... he was angry. There was a strong chance that he would never see his parents again, or feel the warmth of the sun upon his face, or taste the taste of another fresh pumpkin pie that his grandmother loved to make. The thought of his family knowing that he was trapped here in this pixellated prison turned his stomach, and he silently renewed his vow to make it out alive. I will see you again, and I will take as many as I can with me.

Standing, he shook imaginary dust from his dark green starter's outfit. A basic breastplate and a basic longsword were what he'd been given to work with, starting off at least. It was time to get out there and grow stronger, fast. parting his dark-blonde hair with a gloved hand, he drew his sword and examined it. A <>, essentially the basic starter weapon for a swordsman. Sheathing it again at his side, Kane's celadon-hued eyes scanned the city streets as he walked forward. There were usually NPCs giving quests to be found, or higher level players who wanted warm bodies for a hunt, and he had practiced enough with a blade in both this world and the world above that he felt ready to start looking for opportunities to test his mettle. He wondered where his first opportunity would come from as he strolled towards more populated areas.

*Edited for grammar.

Miaki walked through the town center having just left the city tavern and was looking for something to do. He didn't care too much what he did, chat with a player, explore, hunt, anything, it didn't matter. Miaki looked up at the sunny sky and opened up his inventory, equipping a fedora.

As Kane strolled along, he saw another player leave a tavern on the side of the street. A fedora materialized on the man's head, a product of the strange inventory system. It was something that Kane was still getting used to, just seeing clothing appear and disappear on people. It still struck him as a bit absurd, and as he passed the man, he couldn't help but let a small laugh escape his lips.

Not wanting to appear rude, Kane shook his head, holding up his hands in apology. "Sorry buddy, I wasn't laughing at you."

*Edited for quotation marks.

Miaki heard the laugh of one player that he was walking by. Hearing this looked for the the player he had just heard.

Sorry buddy, I wasn't laughing at you.

Miaki stopped in front of him, facing the new player.

"It's alright. Was it something I did? Or is there something on my face?" Miaki laughed after saying this.

*Edited for grammar fixes.

The Black Swordsman, Kirito, outside of the entrance of the town after escaping from the NPC guards that only chased player killers out of the safe zone of the town. Breathing heavily from running around the while town just to get away from the idiotic guards who didn't realize that no one else had a probably with Kirito. The young make was very kind, respectful and helped others in need. No one really showed much affection when he was around because it felt like another green player was around.

Almost everyone knows the young males tale of how he became orange. It was indeed from protecting one of his closets friends who was about to be slaughtered by a group of player killers. He took them out in order to protect his friend and he became a player killer. Just thinking about the story makes him feel indifferent considering he hates having an orange cursor. "Ugh...." the boy looked around at everyone because he stood out like a sore thumb. Dressed in all black like a grim reaper. He noticed some other players looking like they were having a good time which made him smile slightly.

"It's alright. Was it something I did? Or is there something on my face?"

Kane shook his head, amused at the misunderstanding. "Oh don't mind me, I'm still getting used to this whole inventory system thing. Hats appearing out of thin air and all that." He rubbed the back of his head ruefully, then gestured around at the sky around him. "I mean, look around. The whole crazy world is out to kill us, and here I am fussing about hats, haha."

As he was about to continue talking, Kane spied a black-clad figure watching their interaction from a slight distance away. At first, seeing the orange marker above his head stopped Kane's blood cold, and his hand went to his blade. But then he remembered the stories; the Black Swordsman was an orange player, and this guy looked a lot like the one he'd heard so much about. Kane dropped his hand from his blade, realizing that inside the city there was no way for players to kill other players anyway, and that the player was most likely Kirito, the famous Beater.

Miaki laughed at how amusing the inventory system was in SAO. Thinking about it, this guy was right. With the pressing of a few buttons we can alter our appearance and conjure items out of seemingly thin-air. Miaki then looked in the direction that this player was facing and saw someone dressed in black running into the area. Miaki thought he had seen this guy before... Somewhere. The fact that this guy had an orange gem floating over him hadn't registered in Miaki's head yet.

Kirito shrugged when he noticed the two players looking at him. He even saw one if the guys grip his sword. Man...being a player killer really sucks. He thought to himself before walking towards them with an uneasy look on his face. Panting slightly he throw his hand up at the two guys.

"No need to be suspicious of me guys. I'm not like other player killers. I killed in order to protect a loved one. So please don't get the wrong idea. By the way, my name is Kirito. It's nice to meet you two." he spoke in a rather calm and collected tone.

"No need to be suspicious of me guys. I'm not like other player killers. I killed in order to protect a loved one. So please don't get the wrong idea. By the way, my name is Kirito. It's nice to meet you two."/i]

Kane relaxed; this was Kirito, the famed Black Swordsman. He knew that the Black Swordsman was on the side of the innocent, and that was enough for him. "Good to meet you, Kirito! My name's Kane. A pleasure to meet you. Oh, and this is... He turned to Miaki. "Ah, I don't think I know your name yet, bud."

The player, who Miaki learned was Kane shook hands with Kirito after the two shook Miaki stepped forward firmly shaking hands with the Black Swordsman Kirito.

"The name is Miaki." Nodding at Kane briefly as he said that. "A pleasure to meet you Kirito. I've heard of your actions on the front lines in clearing floors. It's rather inspiring, considering I'm working to get myself strong enough to reach the higher levels. And to be honest, I didn't even notice the marker until just now."

He looked Kirito over, now being able to have a face to match with the name. Miaki had heard men talk in the tavern about players working on the front lines, clearing the game. Miaki hoped he wasn't sounding like every other person who met Kirito. He assumed those kind of people acted like they met a pop idol or something. But this player was different. To Miaki, he was an inspiration. Someone who made Miaki strive for the top.

Kirito chuckled and gave them a nice firm handshake along with a warm hearted smile. "It's nice to meet you both. You've heard about me, huh? It's inspiring? Really? That's good to hear actually. I hope you both realize that it's not all about your level. You just have to have the will to keep moving forward. Even if things are looking stiff. There is always a light to guide you. Don't forget that...."

He spoke with confident tone while letting out a somewhat loud chuckle. The two young men looked like they were in their journey to become some strong willed men. That was rather interesting in Kirito's eyes. He always enjoyed nice players such as them.

Miaki thought about what Kirito said on how it wasn't about levels but about the will of the person.

"More about the will and drive? Hmmmm. Never thought of it like that. I think it would be safe to say I have the determination. I've had a bit of a slow start, but I'm working my way up. I'll definitely have to take that to heart."

Kane nodded, agreeing with Miaki. "Quite true, I'm working up my strength to try and challenge the upper floors. There's no way I'm going to sit back and relax while there are good people fighting and dying out there on the front lines."

Kane stretched, his mind sending soothing signals to his virtual muscles as he swiveled his shoulders. "So, what brings you to town, Kirito? I'm looking for opportunities to put my blade to good use."

Kirito smiled, sticking both his hands in his pants pockets while a slight breeze blew by, blowing his hair followed by his long coat, Blackwrym coat. It was a long black trench coat made by a female named Ashley. Listening to the two guys talk made him happy that there are other players like them somewhere. "I feel like I understand the both of you a lot better. More than I thought I would actually. I promise that's a good thing! Hahah"

Hearing his stomach growl he placed his right hand over his stomach with a famished look upon his face. A look that said, I'm freaking starving here! "I was only in town to get a bite to eat but the guards chase off player killers. So every time I head into town they get all over me... Meh....I could really go for an burger. I can taste it melting in my mouth. Just eating a nice burger with tea on a nice grass field on a beautiful day like this....gosh" he sighs.

Meh....I could really go for an burger. I can taste it melting in my mouth. Just eating a nice burger with tea on a nice grass field on a beautiful day like this....gosh

"Dude, I so go for something to eat! Know a good place around here? I just have eaten at the tavern so far."

Kane laughed heartily, pointing forward towards the entrance to the town. The buildings near the town's entrance contained several back alleys and side streets, adding depth to the already complicated metropolis.

"There's actually a pretty good NPC cook who makes traditional Western food in a side street cafe' up ahead. If you guys want to, we could go grab a bite to eat. I could go for a chocolate shake right about now..." Kane licked his lips at the thought.

"Same here Miaki. I could really go for something to eat. I'm starving....a NPC cook huh? She's on a side street up ahead? Man say no more. I want a freaking burger. Lead the way Hahahah." he chuckled while patting them both on the back with a huge grin on his face. It was as if they had all became good friends. Maybe they could get to know each other better over the meal.

The three new friends made their way towards the western style restaurant that was run by an NPC. They were laughing nearly the whole way there. Anyone passing by wouldn't have guessed that they had only just met each other moments ago nor that aside from their names they hardly knew anything about each other. Miaki was enjoying this moment and completely forgot that they were in fact in a game. Even with the oddity of using semi-transparent menus to access everything from appearance and messaging to quest logging and journal entry Miaki took it in stride. Before he knew it, they were entering the restaurant.

The interior was had wooded floors and ceiling but the was were made of stone. Not the grey stone walls of medieval times but something tan, resembling of sandstone. It looked the same as most of the other buildings but this one seemed different. Maybe it was just him being in the company of two new friends. "Nice place." He remarked as they found a seat.

Kane flagged down an NPC server, who brought up a digital menu for the three of them to order from. "I don't know how they justify this in lore, but I'm okay with this!" he laughed, as he ordered a burger, fries, and a chocolate milkshake.

As he watched his newfound acquaintances order, Kane was filled with a rush of nostalgia. A meal shared with friendly folk was a gift indeed.