[OP-F1] The Atoner

Kirito looked around the place while taking his seat. Smirking slightly as the digital menu popped up in front of them individuality. Finding everything he wanted, Kirito clicked on the burger words two times. Ordering two burgers and lastly a sweet tea to go with it. It was an unusual meal but he liked to drank sweet tea with almost all his meals. Awaiting for the waitress to come he let out a soft yawn, rubbing the back if his neck gently. "This place looks pretty cool to me. Never really been here before. So you two... You got any hobbies in the real world?"

After everyone made their order, Miaki order himself a large burger, a plate of fries, and a strawberry shake. Hearing everyone make their comments about the food and place. It really was nice to have some fellowship. Sure there were those he met out in the field but here. This was social time and it was nice.

"So you two... You got any hobbies in the real world?"

There it was. The "elephant in the room" as some players put it. For some this was a taboo topic. Most people didn't even want to remind themselves of being stuck in here. But Miaki didn't care. A while back this would've been grim too. But not anymore. Miaki looked looked between Kane and Kirito.

Well before this I was a college student in the States studying languages and society, dream of becoming a professor one day. As far as hobbies go, I was into filming and gaming. But the rest of my hobbies fortunately can be done in here like martial arts, once I earn that skill, rock climbing, swimming, and exploring. He grabbed the wrapped up utensils on the table and pointed between the two others while having his elbow on the table. "What about either of you? Anything you did before coming in here?"

"So you two... You got any hobbies in the real world?"

It was considered rude to talk about the real world in Aincrad. But honestly? Kane would rather talk about home than just ignore the fact that they all once had separate lives outside this madman's Eden.

"Well before this I was a college student in the States studying languages and society, dream of becoming a professor one day. As far as hobbies go, I was into filming and gaming. But the rest of my hobbies fortunately can be done in here like martial arts, once I earn that skill, rock climbing, swimming, and exploring."

Kane brightened up considerably listening to Miaki talk. It seemed like the two of them had a lot in common. "Oh, so you're from the States too, huh? I was an MK, a Missionaries' Kid. I've lived half my life in Tokyo, and the other half in the American South. I was a film student, doing my internship for my senior year with a Japanese film crew when we all got... well, stuck. Hobbies? Well, I used to say that playing video games was a hobby of mine, but I guess it's more like a career now, haha!" Kane laughed out loud at the thought. He'd always wanted to play video games for a living; it proved the adage "be careful what you wish for."

Miaki was excited to be meeting another American, and a film student on top of that. Something that Miaki, back in the real world where he went by a different name, really thought of pursuing before starting college.

Well, I used to say that playing video games was a hobby of mine, but I guess it's more like a career now, haha!

"Yeah no kidding!" Miaki added and joined in laughing at the irony of their circumstances. "I also spent a little time in Japan myself a couple of years ago for a summer internship. A friend of my family is the CEO of a small company that has an office in Tokyo. Japanese is actually the other language that I studied for several years."

Miaki was confidant that the three of them would get along just fine.

The server came back around with the food. Although it was digital, the burger was satisfying, and the programmers of SAO had somehow managed to vaguely emulate the refreshing coolness of a chocolate milkshake. Dipping his french fries in his shake, Kane started making conversation.

"So, I was thinking of going up to the second floor today to challenge some of those big ox-type monsters. The canyons up there are full of them, and I hear they drop some halfway decent loot."

The food arrived and it was delicious. Miaki went straight away and opened up his burger, adding a layer of fries to it. Taking a bite of the delicious sandwich sent his taste buds to heaven and back. The strawberry shake was perfect too. Miaki took a sip of the refreshment and just couldn't stop there. He drained a third of the shake in one go.

"So, I was thinking of going up to the second floor today to challenge some of those big ox-type monsters. The canyons up there are full of them, and I hear they drop some halfway decent loot."

"I'd be up for that in a little bit. I've only explored some of the second floor myself, but not that much at all." He said while eating some of his fries.

(I PM'd Kirito, he said to finish this RP without him.)

Kane munched away at his virtual food, thinking up strategies and remembering what he'd read in an information broker's field guide. "There's supposed to be a decently strong field boss on the 2nd floor called the Bulbous Bow, a giant bull monster. Most people who have gone above the 2nd floor have just snuck by him to reach the Labyrinth, so this could be a chance to earn a lot of XP."

(He told PM'd me last night as well.)

While they were eating their meal, Kane talked about what he knew about the field boss and how most people avoided it. Not much later, the three men finished there food and decided to part ways. Kirito mentioned having to return to the front lines and wished the two good luck on their new found goal. Miaki and Kane started to leave the restaurant and walk through the city. "You seem to know a bit more about the boss, any idea how it behaves? It would be helpful to have some understanding in order to best fight it off."

Kane nodded, trying to remember how the boss was reported to have worked. "Well, the way I remember it, the Bulbous Bow is a giant bull that has a nasty temper. It's around twelve feet tall, with four horns. Apparently it's pretty speedy when it gets up to a charge, that's its primary method of attack. A good strategy would be for one of us to distract the bull and block its charges, while the other quickly flanks it and attacks from the side."

Kane looked Miaki over, trying to get an accurate assessment of their strength level. "We should both be fine if we arm ourselves appropriately... You're a little higher in level than I am, so give me the afternoon to scrounge some better armor and a weapon, and I'll meet you at the Open Field on the 2nd floor?" (Let's start a new thread so that Kane can use his new sword and armor.)

(OOC: Works for me. We can probably have this closed and benchmarked by a GM.)

Miaki nodded thinking about the battle ahead. "Sounds like a plan. Meet me just outside of <> on the second floor. Around 4pm? Most raiding parties tend to deploy an hour prior so there won't be a massive crowd."