[PP-F17] Demigods (Baldur)

Light bent and reflected off the cold metal of Orochi, the rapier the blonde currently donned on floors like the seventeenth. His hand quickly glided across the steel as he polished it from one end to the next. Once his own reflection could be seen in the metal, he stopped to pull up the messenger. Selecting a recipient, one that he had been acquainted with for quite some time, he rattled off a quick message to him. Requesting his presence, he would wait outside the gate of Spartaia.

Baldur happened to be on the 17th floor when the message icon suddenly popped up in the corner of his vision. Slowly backing away from the pack of <<Nimean Lions>>, he heard the musical queue saying that he was no longer in the <<Nimean Plains>>. Sheathing his blade, <<Susano'o>>, Baldur opened up his messages as a window and a keyboard visible and tactile only to himself appeared.

Oikawa wants to meet up, eh?

He hadn't been able to spend much time with his old friend. They had managed to work together, but the other two times Baldur had recently seen Oikawa was him defending himself for murdering Zel. Baldur still wasn't sure if there was a justifiable answer for Oikawa, but his old friend did seem intent on redeeming himself. Oikawa had once had his back in life and death, and in Baldur's book, that bought you a lot of benefit of the doubt. Baldur's hands flew across the keyboard as he typed his response, letting him know that he would be there shortly. The <<Nimean Plains>> were just north of Sparta, so it wouldn't take him long to reach his friend.

The peaceful chime of a response message filled his ears as he averted his attention from the calming setting he found himself in. Skimming over the already brief response, the blonde simply grinned as Baldur assured him they could meet up. Knowing how there relationship was in an odd place, Oikawa wanted to remove any form of doubt the young man had of him. He wanted it to be like the days before his incident. His mistake that now branded him for life. A mistake he would have to live with for the rest of his time here and in the real world. A sigh seemingly escaped him, causing him to snap back to what little reality they had. Rattling off a quick "I'll be waiting", he shifted his focus to his thoughts. He needed to think of what to do so he could gain the trust of his friend back and prove he's not the insane murder that some think he is.

The colorful red marble of the gates of Sparta were the first thing that came into his view. The settlement was a large one, but nothing like this floor's rendition of Athens. Still, the greek theme was a welcome change from all the floors they had just left. Finally, Baldur could wander a floor without the image of an emo Kayaba hovering over the tower bemoaning how no one understood how edgy he was. Maybe a floor with some sunshine would cheer everyone up a bit more after all the darkness that had fill the lives of the frontlines for the past several floors.

At least Baldur hoped so, considering he would now be fully committing to the front line.

As he neared the city, he saw the blond mop of familiar hair that belonged to his old friend.

"Ohayo, Oikawa!" Baldur called out to him and waved his hand high above his head to signal his friend.

Having remained posted outside the gates of Spartaia, the blonde was able to easily identify his samurai-esque friend, Baldur as the floor had little visitors despite it being the newest available floor. His hand raised, evolving into a wave as he returned the gesture. "Ohayo gozaimasu," responded the blonde as he raised from the wall lining the city limits. Approaching the hazel haired man, Oikawa quickly broke into conversation. "How's Aincrad treating the Master Adventurer? Hehe I just realized you had us doing dungeons before they were cool and worth it."

Baldur smiled; it felt good to talk to his old friend like this, and for a moment, it took his mind off of the awkward orange marker above Oikawa's head. Baldur shifted his vision so that the targeting system disengaged and the crystal vanished as well. He reached out to take his friend's hand and shake it.

"The irony is not lost on me. It was quite the adventure we went on, and thereafter as well. I felt like we could take on anything with our little group."

Baldur thought back to the faces they had fought with, but had lost track of. Who knew where Crow and Reylif were, but at least their names weren't crossed off on the <<Monument of Life>>. It meant they were out there somewhere. Alive.

"I miss doing things like that, but now you're double my level. It just wouldn't be the same." Baldur gave a bit of a sad, rueful smile, "-but don't think you can rest on your laurels. I'm gunning for ya!"

"Our group was pretty amazing huh? As for slacking off, you needn't worry. We were both surpassed by Calrex That's something I can't let slide hehe. So I expect you to train just as much my friend. Also, despite the level disparity, we can still adventure but just know for every bit experience you gain, I also gain, so the gap will remain relatively the same." Drawing his gaze towards the fields of the Greek inspired floor. "I do miss it though. Back then times were simple and enjoying my time here actually almost seemed possible despite our circumstance." Shifting his gaze back to the samurai, he continued. "But reminiscing while nice, is not the reason I asked you out here today. I'm sure Cal has made mention of it, but SC is happening and I would like to personally nominate you for our fourth. I consider you both friend and family at this point and should he still be here with us, Azide would also be an easy choice. So what say you?"

Baldur smiled as he listened to his old friend reminisce about the past. They had been good times, even if they were dangerous and sometimes reckless. Things had seemed simplier. Alkor had been the only loss during a boss raid, and Mari was really the only PKer to fear. It had been a much more enjoyable time, with good allies at his side as they rose the tower together. But that had been before...

Baldur's eyes showed surprise when Oikawa mentioned the SC. Calrex had indeed mentioned it, but he didn't realize Oikawa was also a part of it, or that they would even consider allowing him to take part in it.

"Wow. I uh... I didn't expect that. Calrex and I spoke briefly about the SC, and what it's purpose was... but I didn't think I was strong enough to help you guys out." Baldur paused for a moment as he thought about what this would mean.

Calrex and Oikawa were probably the two Frontliners Baldur felt the most comfortable with. They were certainly the two he had the most history and experience with. His mind ran through the conversations that Baldur had had with his kohei, and the requests and advice that his friend had asked. Maybe he wasn't the strongest fighter on Aincrad, or even in the top ten, but he could still help out in other ways, and he wanted to see what they could do. Baldur had always wanted to be a part of something, maybe this was it.

Offering his hand to his old friend, he flashed a smile and said, "I'd love that."

Relief settled over the blonde as Baldur explained his brief chats with Calrex on the subject though the notion of surprise didn't go unnoticed when Oikawa mentioned that he was apart of the project. Chuckling Oikawa grasped the maple-haired man's hand as he accepted his invitation. "Strength runs deeper than numbers Baldur. You should know that more than anyone." Releasing his grip, he rested easier and took a less formal stance, adopting a more casual demeanor in the presence of his friend and future comrade. "As far as recruitment goes, you are fine, however, their is one tidbit that I may have overlooked in my haste." Darting his gaze to the ground he continued, "You will probably need to meet with Teayre if you haven't already. I know your stance on the crystal floating above my own crown and hers was earned in ways that mine pale to." 

"Teayre." Baldur tapped his lip as he tried to place the name. "I don't think I'm familiar with her, but I know I've heard that name before..." Baldur tried looking in several different directions as if he could find the answers just out of sight, before shrugging his shoulders and giving up.

"Sorry, I don't know who that is. The names sounds familiar though."

So he would need to get the approval of everyone in the SC before he could formally become a part of it. That made sense, especially if coordination and comrader among the entire group were important, and for one with the ideas that Calrex and Oikawa wanted to put forward were true, then it would be very important. Oikawa's words, however, concerned him. She had earned her orange markers in a way that made Oikawa's seem to pale in comparison? That sounded very bad indeed. Did that mean that this Teayre was on a search for redemption? Could there be justification for capital punishment here? Baldur put the thoughts aside. If anything, he trusted Calrex and Oikawa, at least for now. This group, however, would have an uphill battle to face if two of the three members were orange players.

I haven't entirely codified my thoughts on them yet." Baldur intentionally tried to avoid looking where Oikawa's would be, "But I do believe in redemption, and in second chances. It may be different in the real world, but if someone wants to atone by helping save lives and getting us out of here, then we're not in the position to be able to say no."

"You'll know soon enough Bal. You'll know soon enough.." chuckled the blonde as he wondered if Baldur really was unfamiliar with the Crimson Maiden a.k.a Calrex's wife. Nodding the thought off, he assumed the name wold click soon enough for the samurai.

Folding his arms and resting against the wall lining the city, Oikawa shifted his gaze to Baldur as he spoke on his feelings about the orange cursor. Nodding, the young smith replied, "Redemption...I'm glad you still have some faith in me." He was unsure if letting his gaze meet with Baldur's would be hard as this subject was still rather fresh especially in terms of morality on the blonde's part. Deciding not to press the issue, Oikawa offered a change of subject.

"Well unless my time is off, its about time for another dungeon run. Sounds rather appealing no?" he questioned with one eyebrow raised in a cartoon-ish fashion.

Baldur took time to give his friend's words some heavy thought. He was alluding to something when it came to Teayre, but Baldur had to assume it would be something that would be revealed to him when he met her. Where had he heard that name before? Whatever they case may be, if that person were in the company of Calrex and Oikawa, he would give her the benefit of the doubt until he could meet her and make the judgement call himself. When Oikawa mentioned faith, Baldur just placed his hand on his friend's shoulder in a wordless offering of solidarity and squeezed it firmly.

"A dungeon?" He was pleased at the change of subject. They were getting too morose. "Sure, as long as there's no stupid swamp to fall into." He flashed his friend a smile, loosened the katana in the saya at his side, and then nodded that he was ready.

"So, where shall we begin to look?"

"We are about 10 floors away from any sort of nonsense that swamp offered hehe." Swiping his menu and selecting from a plethora of items, the blonde selected a few choice items and watches as they materialized before him. Gripping Orochi, his new found trusty rapier, he patted out his coat before pointing north of where they stood. "We shall start over there. Last time I was here, caverns could seen from miles away. One is bound to have a dungeon no?"

Clouds rolled  and grass whistled as winds passed through them and the surrounding area. Looking up, Oikawa exclaimed rather amusingly. "By the Gods we may have our first encounter event..."

"Our first event huh?" Baldur looked around him. The ambient music had changed, and that was usually a helpful sign that something was coming up. Pushing an inch of steel out from the saya, the gaijin samurai looked around ready for trouble.

"What do you think we'll find? Gorgons? Spartans? Centaurs? Furies? I love Greek mythology, so who knows?"

Casting his steel blue eyes, Baldur looked for whatever he could find (ID#62771 LD: 6+3=9) but try as he might, he couldn't find so much as a scrap of material around them.

Giving his vigilance a rest, he looked over to see how Oikawa was doing.

Edited by Baldur

Smirking the blonde eagerly began searching the area. "Greek mythology is one of my favorites as well. And this is my first time seeing a floor reacting to a time based decision such as our own. But I suppose finding a dungeon right now would lead to an epic fight." Adjusting his coat, Oikawa turned to face Baldur. "Dungeons this high up can turn into real challenges if you aren't careful; so I hope you're ready." Shifting his gaze to the plethora of caves below, his crimson eyes lit up like fire as <Reveal> kicked in. Scanning the various caverns, his excitement raised to another level as he spotted a being within one of them.

"Its no dungeon, but we surely have a workout ahead if you want to join me," explained the blonde as he stretched his arms and legs.

Sub Dungeon ID: 62774 LD: 17 (8+9) [No Dungeon Found]

Oikawa: 217/217 E: 53/53

Baldur: ???/??? E: ??/??

Empousa: 300/300 D: 100 M: 50

Baldur looked at his friend with a bit of a cocky grin.

"He who takes First Blood gets the prize!"

Baldur then took off ahead of his friend, trying to get a lead on whatever the monster was that Oikawa detected with his <<Reveal>> skill, but Baldur took a corner too quickly and crashed into one of the stone walls of the tunnel, falling down to the ground just as he entered into the room. 

Before them in the room stood the wicked looking creature known as the <<Empousa>> who had far more HP than any of the trash he normally fought. Cursing to himself, he stood up quickly as the mob rushed towards him. She lashed out at him with claws and flaming hair, but Baldur's slip and slide of stone kept him out of her deadly reach. Where she missed him, her flaming claws rent holes in the tunnel behind him.

"OIKAWA!"

[ID: BD 1 CD 10 LD 19 MD 5]

Oikawa: 217/217 E: 53/53

Baldur: 116/116 E: 29/29 (miss)

Empousa: 300/300 D: 100 M: 50 (miss)

Edited by Baldur

"With you missing like that, I'll be getting that prize hehe."

Stepping past the samurai, Oikawa fully unsheathed Orochi. Stepping into his assault, he let the system take control of his movements as it guided him through his sword art, Over Radiation. Activating his charge skill all the while, the blonde held back nothing as he sent a volley of thrusts and jabs crashing into the Empousa. Embers from the creatures hair skittered and smoked as her frame was riddled with blow after blow.

Looking to Baldur, a smirk found its way to his features as he spoke to his companion. "No need to shout Bal, the real demigod has arrived," he joked whilst pointing to himself. However, the chuckles stopped short as he realized he had dealt nothing in terms of damage. "What exactly is this thing?" questioned the blonde in obvious disbelief.

ID: 62854 BD: 5 (1+4) [Over Radiation: 0]

Oikawa: 217/217 E: 51/53 (-2)

Baldur: 116/116 E: 27/29

Empousa: 300/300 D: 100 M: 50 (-0 HP)

Baldur grumbled from his spot in the dirt as Oikawa ran past and attacked the monster, but when he delt no damage, a smirk appeared on Baldur's face as he pushed himself off of the ground and towards the mob. He was too close to <<charge>> so instead he grabbed his katana and with lightning speed he drew the magnificent blade and slashed through the flame haired creature in a move so powerful it left the target stunned.

"Maybe you just need to use a real sword."

With his sword, Susano'o in hand he turned to realize that he had almost been skewered by the beast if not for his sword art's stun effect.

ID#63245 BD: 9 MD: 10 Sword Art: Iai 12 + 1 = 13 x 10 = 130 - 50 = 80 DMG

Oikawa: 217/217 E: 51/53 (-2)
Baldur: 116/116 E: 14/29 (-13)
Empousa: 220/300 D: 100 M: 50 (-80 HP) (STUNNED)

Edited by Baldur

"A real sword?" repeated the blonde as he watched Baldur finally land an attack on the creature. "This is a gentleman's blade my friend. Far superior to the messiness your katana is sure leave. And it can be used with a single hand on top of that!" Smirking, Oikawa rushed past Baldur once again and drew his blade, the faint glow of Over Radiation encapsulating the thin metal as he Charged forth and rattle the Empousa with fourteen thrusts of his rapier. Each jab a precise blow that brought the creature's health down to the red by the end of the combination. "How's that for a real sword?"

ID: 63339 BD: 10 (6+4) [Over Radiation: 13 + 3 = 16 x 14 = 224 - 50 = 174]

Oikawa: 217/217 E: 38/53 (+1/-14)

Baldur: 116/116 E: 27/29

Empousa: 46/300 D: 100 M: 50 (-174 HP)

Baldur smiled, impressed at the massive amount of damage that his friend was able to do. That was the benefit to a sword art that had such a high power, far higher than anything katana had one on one, but when it came to AoE, Baldur would not be second. Unfortunately, this was not such a circumstance.

Turning back to the stunned creature, Baldur's sword exploded with blue light as his katana slashed through the Empousa three times, faster than even Baldur could have executed the move in the real world. Pausing for a moment, Baldur tried to get the time just right. Whipping the sword around he sheathed the blade and tried his best to make the click of his katana match up with the explosion of the flame haired bag of XP. He was close, but it wasn't as smooth as he would have hoped.

Turning around, he smiled at Oikawa.

"Thanks for the help man." The loot screen popped up, and Baldur smiled. Not bad for a single creature.

"But the ladies aren't impressed by a little one handed sword." Baldur smirked and his blue eyes danced with mirth. "Looks like it took my two-hander to put this one to rest."

[ID: 63342 BD: 10 LD: 17+3=20] 12+2=14x9=126-50= 76 DMG

Oikawa: 217/217 E: 38/53 
Baldur: 116/116 E: 6/29 (-9/+1)
Empousa: 0/300 D: 100 M: 50 (-76 HP) (DEAD)  Drops 2 Mats & 2,500 Col

Edited by Baldur