SAO Throwing Weapons (canon inspired)

Just thought I'd throw this out there, since it came to me all of the sudden.

Here is how you could implement Throwing Weapons as seen in canon.

Normally when you're engaging in combat the turn order goes

Player attacks/charge
Mob attacks
Player attacks
Mob attacks

with throwing weapons, it gives you an opener

Player Throw Attacks
Player Melee Attacks (Can't charge)
Mob attacks
Player Melee Attacks
Mob Attacks

etc...

Basically it would be a useful skill for opening, and an alternative for charge. The damage would have to balanced against charge as well.

Throwing Weapons: 3 Ranks - allows you to use throwing spikes/axes/daggers, whatever fluff weapon you want. These weapons cannot be used for melee sword arts. Throwing weapons do not count as an equipped weapon, but do take up inventory space in the battle ready slot. Without the mod, these can only be stacked up to 5 per slot, and are permanently lost when used.

These would be consumable items made by blacksmiths, perhaps Artisans? 

Rank 1: Weak single target sword art
Rank 2: medium single target stun
Rank 3: weak AoE sword art, medium single target sword art

If a player also has the Martial Arts skill at least at Rank 2, he gains a couple new arts

Rank 3: High-ish damage single target art, and a medium damage AoE art

They also unlock the ability to use a chakram. Like thrown items, this takes up a slot of your battle-ready inventory, but it no longer requires ammo to use.

The throwing items would be statless, since they're not equipped items and instead would use your normal combat stats as if you had  your existing weapon equipped.

Since this prevents the player from using charge, the damage lost needs to be taken into consideration. Charge (1-5) can provide a damage boost of up to 50 on average, and 70 on daggers. Balance this buy it having an extra change to miss, but getting in 2 attacks in one post (Basically).

Thoughts and comments?

• 5 weeks later...

Okay, tbh I did not understand a word you just said because I still don't understand Sword Arts though they've been explained to me multiple times, but I like the idea of throwing weapons having an actual turn. I've been rping with just throwing my dagger, having it deal regular damage, then going to retrieve it so this would be useful.

Would you get a throwing attack, then a regular one?

Would you need to go get the dagger after it's been thrown? 

I love this idea because not every player wants to be up close to an opponent and this gives them somewhat of that chance.  As a scout Itzal will want to avoid direct combat if at all possible, and if this ends up working maybe there could be a status/damage/something bonus if you are undetected by mobs or players for such amount of turns.  Then if you haven't been spotted using the throwing knives would have something extra.  Other than that I don't think throwing knives would be used by anyone besides healers.  Everyone else would be fighting up close.

I'm not good with math, I just come up with ideas :)

Just now, Kiru said:

Okay, tbh I did not understand a word you just said because I still don't understand Sword Arts though they've been explained to me multiple times, but I like the idea of throwing weapons having an actual turn. I've been rping with just throwing my dagger, having it deal regular damage, then going to retrieve it so this would be useful.

Would you get a throwing attack, then a regular one?

Would you need to go get the dagger after it's been thrown? 

A) If you still need help, I'd be more than willing to try and cut through some of the unnecessary wording they've put into those and help you digest them. It took me a fair bit of staring to get them as well.

B) Yes. The idea is that you throw your attack at the enemy from a distance, so then it has to run at you, so you still have time to engage in a sword art, but since you've already attacked it, you can't charge.

C) These would be consumables, so once you used them, they'd be gone and you'd have to buy more. The exception to this is the chakram that you can use if you take martial arts.

3 hours ago, Baldur said:

A) If you still need help, I'd be more than willing to try and cut through some of the unnecessary wording they've put into those and help you digest them. It took me a fair bit of staring to get them as well.

B) Yes. The idea is that you throw your attack at the enemy from a distance, so then it has to run at you, so you still have time to engage in a sword art, but since you've already attacked it, you can't charge.

C) These would be consumables, so once you used them, they'd be gone and you'd have to buy more. The exception to this is the chakram that you can use if you take martial arts.

Thank you, probably will take you up on that later, Baldur. 

This is overall a great idea and I hope it gets passed because there aren't many dagger users, Thanks for shedding light on this!