[PP-F2] Fists of stone <Itzal, Grave> <Quest-Breaking the Unbreakable>

Itzal was passing by the bulletin board when Velnia smacked him with her tail.

"What's up girl?" Itzal asked.  She nodded to the board and he turned.  It was covered in quests that players either had no interest in or probably had completed a million times.  The one she was referring to was more in the center.  He picked up the paper and read it.

"Breaking the unbreakable," he muttered.  He had heard of this quest before but had no idea what to expect.  His interest was snatched however when he saw the reward.  "Martial arts as a reward?!" he exclaimed.  He smiled.  THAT would definitely be worth getting.  He had never mastered martial arts in real life.  In fact he was horrible at it.  But in the game he knew it was possible.  It would definitely be worth whatever this quest required.  He grinned at Velnia.  "Good eye," he said.

The Quest Board, the best place to scout out newbies who need help with some of the low-level quests, especially <<Breaking the Unbreakable>>. I had helped more than my share of new players shatter the boulder into oblivion, and I vowed to help more, as I personally knew how grueling the task could be. One warm noon, Hikari had draped herself around my neck, mewling obnoxiously from the heat; her orange fur multiplied any kind of humidity, and the best she could do to keep herself from just passing out was cool herself around my neck. Strange weasel. My silver eyes caught a player with a small, purple dragon upon their shoulder, peering at some kind of page. Peeking around the player's free shoulder, I noticed the <<Breaking  the Unbreakable>> notice was missing, and grinned as I approached the player. "That <<Breaking the Unbreakable>> you looking at?" I asked, hands on my hips, Hikari perking her head up tiredly at my sudden speaking.

Itzal turned to the voice.  He was staring at a silver haired man who seemed light on his feet.  Itzal looked into his eyes and saw that this was an experienced player.  He must look like a noob to him.  Especially once he saw this *noob put on Niger Natio.  He nodded at the player.

"Yeah I was just about to accept it.  Figured an extra skill would be worth getting."  Before he continued talking he felt movement on his shoulder as Velnia's head moved gently to the fur around the player's neck.  Itzal noticed with slight surprise that it was a weasel.  Velnia sniffed it at a safe distance before craning her neck back and nodded, a sort of shine in her eyes.  That meant she like it.  Itzal grinned at Velnia.  "It seems she likes your familiar," he said.  He thought for a moment.  He loved learning from his mistakes, but he also knew it would be wise to watch an experienced player before trying it yourself.  He always paid close attention to details and that's got him out of one or two nasty situations.  "Were you thinking about getting this one too?  Or have you already done it?"

I chuckled at the player's response; the extra skill was certainly worth getting for me. I tilted my head when the strange dragon atop the player's shoulder took an interest in Hikari, and the player voiced the connection as well. "Huh, what do you know, Hikari might like a new friend!" I replied, scratching the weasel around the single horn protruding from her skull. The player asked if I was planning on taking it, or had already done it. With a confident grin, I placed my hands on my hips. "My friend, you know that extra skill you want? I am the only player in Aincrad that has Grandmastered it. I have helped many a player on this quest since working my way to the top of the skill." I explained with a hearty laugh. "I take it you will be in need of some assistance?" I asked, bending forward, allowing Hikari to get a closer look at the other player's familiar.

Velnia's tail began to twitch and Itzal assumed she wanted to play with the weasel.  "Only if it wants to, Velnia" he told her.  She looked at him for a split second before asking the weasel the question with a look.  As the two familiar's communicated, Itzal took in just how experienced this player must be.  Either he spent all his sp on that one skill, or he was a very high level.  Either way he was eager to learn from him.  He nodded.  "Some help would be appreciated," he admitted.  "I have no idea what is required, nor do I know what the skill is used for, though I admit I am always interested in learning new skills and tactics."  Tactics and strategies.  Most people played sports as a past time.  Some had jobs.  Some people paint and some carve figurines from wood.  Itzal?  He was the odd one out.  He absolutely loved thinking over tactics and strategies.  That was one of the reasons he joined the game.

Some kind of connection certainly seemed to spark between Hikari and the little dragon, and I grinned at the horned weasel as she communicated with her new friend. "I can help, my services will only cost 1000 Col." I teased, keeping a straight face for as long as possible, before cracking a wide smile. "I am pulling your leg, allow me to help, no cost whatsoever." I chuckled, reaching up and idly scratching Hikari's chest. "Nothing's required really... just reduce a boulder to dust with your fists and you get the skill. Oh, and be warned... the NPC likes to put some 'special' paint on the face of players who take the quest." I cautioned with a grin, remembering when Khry complained about the totally unnecessary ritual. "Shall we head off? The name's Grave, by the way."

Itzal raised an eyebrow at the mention of cost and was about to consider it when he laughed and told him it was a joke.  Itzal shrugged, smiling inwardly.  He didn't have much friends in the real world and he though he had some now he wasn't yet acclimated to humor.  Especially Kooh's version.  When he heard about grinding a boulder to dust with just your fists he frowned.

"Ok, that might take a while but it can be done."  When he mentioned face paint he chuckled.  "Well I was never one for paint period but I don't see why not.  As long as she doesn't draw mermaids, fairies and the such on my cheek I'm fine."  As they turned to head off he told Itzal his username.  What an odd one.  Grave.  The resting place for the dead.  Not that Itzal's name was any better.  It meant shadow.  "My name's Itzal" he answered.  As they walked out of the town Itzal went ahead and equipped Niger Natio.  Even though the quest required fists, he also placed his sword Retributor on his back so that it would be available if he needed it.  He turned and saw that the weasel and Velnia had deserted their masters and played tag as the group walked.

I scoffed when the player said it would take a while. "With my fists, this quest can be finished in no time." I explained, raising a clenched fist confidently. The boy objected again having girly creatures painted on his face when we got to the hermit's house. "Haha, you do not need to worry about that, the hermit is not a woman, he is a middle-aged, rather humorous man... especially for an NPC." I reassured him with a wide, toothy grin. "A pleasure, Itzal." I responded, holding my hand out for him to shake. I watched him equip his gear as we walked, and shot a glance over my shoulder at the two similarly-sized familiars playing behind us. "What level are you, if you do not mind me asking?" I asked the player, throwing my hands up behind my head casually.

Itzal smiled when Grave reassured him that they'd get the job done in no time.  That's good, he thought.  I was afraid I might have to let the others know that I would be gone a while.  "I'm level eight.  Not high but I'm working my way up."  Although he was just level eight, Itzal had accomplished some feats that he was proud of.  This high level player might think of his 'feats' as easy trash but to Itzal it was everything.  However, what Itzal was proud of more than just feats was how far he'd come socially.  In the real world he had little to no friends.  Today, in this death game, he had found three and was meeting people all over.  He smiled and his mind wandered to the verbana bracelet that was tucked between the gauntlet and sleeve of his armor.  'You won't believe how far I've come Aimi'.

"So how far is it?  I don't mind walking long distances, but I usually like to know the time range."

I smiled and scratched my chin. "Level eight, huh? How long have you been out and hunting, may I ask?" I requested, wondering how quickly he had reached that level; I knew I took a lot longer than I had wanted to, but Itzal seemed to be quite the hard-worker, likely having shot up through his levels like nothing. At least now I was starting to pick up the pace, leveling slightly quicker than before... but my activity was a bit of a rollercoaster ride. Some days I would be eager to get work done, others I would be too lazy to haul ass out of bed. Maybe it was time to make a change to that...

"Oh, not far... there is just a bit of a nasty staircase to the top, then from there it is a short walk to the NPC's dwelling." I reassured the boy as I led him towards the quest area.

Itzal thought about the man's question for a brief moment.  When he die he realized just how far he made it.

"I think about a month now," he said. "When I'm not with the others I'm off training or meeting new people.  I haven't taken many quests lately because it seems a couple of them have mini bosses and I'd rather not take the risk of fighting it alone and dying.  So my goal is to find someone who wouldn't mind questing with me to fight small bosses."  Itzal smiled at the memory of his meeting Jonathan, a tank who spent almost all his time training to make it to the front lines.  Although Itzal wanted to help he didn't want any risk of dying either.  Maybe he could be a scout or something though.  That WAS what he was training to become after all.  After he reached rank three on his sword skill he'd unlock stealth.

When the player told him it wasn't far, he looked over at Velnia and noted that she was still playing with the other familiar.  He smiled.  Good, she needs company as I'll be busy punching rock's.  A question appeared in Itzals mind but he decided to ask that later.

• 3 weeks later...

"A month?" I asked scratching my chin. "Wow, I am not sure even I hit level eight within a month... cannot remember clearly." I replied to Itzal, hoping to boost his confidence in his level some. "Looking for a player to help out with quests, eh? I would be happy to help, if you would not mind." I offered my services with a cocked head and a wide grin, eager to help another player out. "Martial Arts is best used in a group anyway, most of its Sword Arts have stun effects." I stated, groaning slightly as I reminded myself once again of the downfall of my skill. A large staircase approached and I peered up the top; the Hermit's place was up there. "I will race you!" I shouted as I lurched forward, bolting up the steps, making sure the boy could at least catch up.

Itzal listened as the player mentioned how he himself hadn't reached level eight in a month.  Itzal smiled but he knew that the player was just trying to make him feel better about himself.  After all, he was already much stronger than he was to begin with.  When he mentioned that he'd love to do quests with Itzal he grinned.

"Alright!  I'd love your help with quests!"  Then they reached the staircase and he looked at the length.  Grave made a comment and began racing up there, probably not at his highest speed though.  Velnia was a little confused at his sudden change of speeds and yelped when her playmate charged after him.  Eager to stay with her new friend Velnia took flight and stayed by the familiar's side with perfect ease.  This is where Itzal really grinned.  Most people saw Itzal's height and assumed he was pathetic.  That was an advantage he used.  Not only was he a fast runner with high endurance, but he also practiced parkour as well.  As he shot off after Grave it was as if he glided up the stairs rather than ran up them step by step.  In a span of a few seconds he was level with Grave.

"Awesome, sounds good!" I said, swiping my right hand down and opening the menu, navigating to my friends list and entering Itzal's name, sending him a request. "Just message me whenever you need my help with something, alright? The only times I am ever really busy is when I am cooking, doing Guild work or chilling with my girlfriend." I told the boy with a smile, nodding. As I rushed up the stairs, I looked behind me to see where Itzal was at - only to have him appear beside me! "Jeez! You are fast!" I complimented him, beginning to puff as we went up the stairs. "Yeah, my speed and endurance are really low... does not help that I am a six foot brawler." I explained, keeping pace with the boy as we headed up.

Itzal saw the invite and accepted fairly quickly.  He was always eager to gain new friends.  Especially since he had none in the real world, unless you call bullies friends.  In which case you needed help.  He grinned at the player's compliment and saw that this time it was genuine.  Knowing that the player wouldn't be able to match the speed he gained all those years from escaping the stronger boys in his school he kept the even and steady pace.

"Guild and girlfriend huh?  You really have made it far haven't you?"  He said with a grin.  "If you don't mind me asking, what guild is it?  And who's your girlfriend?  I don't know many higher level players yet but I'd like to learn early."  He hoped this player wasn't offended with his questions.  As he thought about it he also began to wonder what kind of techniques were used in martial arts.  He'd seen it many times but never actually practiced.  "Hey, if we ever have the time maybe you could train me in martial arts.  I figured it would be a good technique to know in case I lose my sword in a battle."

I was finding it harder and harder to keep up with the player, my chest heaving as I lumbered heavily up the staircase. "Yeah, I guess so." I agreed. "The Knights of the Blood Oath... I was once in a small guild called the Crimson Blades, but we sort of fell apart, and our Commander joined the Knights and chose to assimilate the Blades in as an elite strike team, under the title of the Crimson Knights. He was third in command... until our guild was betrayed and he had to take the Second in Command's place." I explained between rough breaths.

"As for my girlfriend... her name is Jevi. I have known her since my very first week in the game. Back then she had a girlfriend, so I did not have a chance... until recently when her girlfriend stopped contacting her. We still have no idea where she is." I said with a weak smile. "Jevi has got purple hair and golden eyes... in battle and when she is teasing she reminds me of a snake; sneaky, slippery and enchanting. But on dates she is more like a playful cat." I compared with a wide grin, reminiscing about the time I suggested Jevi get a snake familiar.

"Of course! I would always be happy to train another player in my art!" I responded, finally hitting the top of the staircase and bending over, hands on my knees as I tried to catch my breath. "Alright... phew... I should really shape up." I sighed, standing back up and cracking my back before pointing at a hut-like structure in the distance. "That is the hermit's house." I said, leading the way.

As Grave spoke Itzal noticed he was breathing heavy and felt guilty for not slowing down a bit for him.  When he mentioned his guild and how they were betrayed his eyes narrowed.

"I'm sorry about that.  Player killer I'm guessing?  May I ask who they were?"  As he listened to him describe his girlfriend and her recent loss of her own..  Girlfriend..  To this Itzal suddenly found interest in the stairs for a moment or two.  He didn't agree with homosexuality, but he didn't stop people neither did he want to offend or treat them badly in any way.  It was their choice and he respected free will.  As he heard her description he could understand his interest.  "Purple eyes and gold hair huh?  To be honest that sounds a little like royalty.  Purple was typically only used for kings and nobles, and gold of course was the most valuable metal."  Soon they reached the top and Grave stood their panting like crazy while Itzal was only slightly.  Running from bullies all your life forced your endurance to build after all.  The old man looked at them and grinned, seeming to remember Grave.

"Hello there youngster.  Been a while.  Brought a new sucker have ya?" he finished with a chuckle.  He walked up to Itzal, paint already prepared, which Itzal thought was impressive.  He stood still as the man studied him and decided what to put on.  Itzal of course couldn't see how it was being painted, but it was basically like this:  From the center of the nose, a little below the eyes was the middle point.  Using black paint he made a long thick streak that narrowed until it reached just under his chin to a point.  He did the same streak twice more, from the middle point across the eye on both sides stopping directly beside the eyebrows.  The result was a thick but stylized Y ish shape.  He switched to a dark red and made what appeared to be a dragon's skull viewed from the top on his right cheek.

• 2 months later...

"Yes, player killer," I confirmed with a hiss, and shook my head "But I will not disclose the killer's identity," I waved his request off. Itzal semi-repeated Jevi's image, and I shook my head with a chuckle. "Other way around," I explained, "purple hair and gold eyes," I corrected him with a smile. "But yes, very royal colours... and she reminds me of a charming, hypnotizing snake; sly and always slipping out of your grasp, yet elegant and enchanting. A 'queen' cobra, I would say." I visualized her with a wide grin, using the same description I always used, toward her directly or when telling others about her.

We entered the hermit's house, and the old geezer got to work with the paint straight away, leaving not a moment to spare. I tilted my head as I watched him apply it, slightly confused by the pattern he was doing. Once he finished, a draconic painting was left upon Itzal's face, with a Y shape in the middle. "That is a new design," I noted and turned to the hermit. "Usually you just do those whiskers, what is different about him?" I questioned, but the hermit refused to respond, staying tight-lipped. I looked at Itzal and smiled. "It looks good though. Suits you."

OOC- Dang it's been long.  Good thing I don't use sword arts, otherwise I wouldn't have a clue as to what sword rank I had XD.

Itzal nodded when the player mentioned how he didn't want to tell the name of the player and Itzal nodded understanding.  He hated player killers and would take them out if he could.  However he was not nearly strong enough to do so.  When he described his girlfriend to Itzal he thought for a moment and nodded.  The title seemed fitting he thought.  After the paint was done Grave mentioned how it was a new design.  When Itzal heard him mention whiskers he blinked in surprise and wondered what the hell the npc put on him.  What neither player would know was that the red dragon was a reference to something the cardinal had made to assist Itzal with his emotions, and would very greatly alter and effect his time in Aincrad.  With that done the two went over to the huge rock and Itzal stared at it for a moment.  "So this is what I need to beat up?"

ID#  70432  BD:  1  OH COME - FREAKING - ON!!!

Itzal:  160/160  <>  14/16

@Grave:  ??/??

Rock:  50/50

Edited by Itzal

Itzal seemed surprised at my mention of whiskers; he did not even know what was on his own face, so even that was a mystery to him. I beckoned to Itzal and led him to the boulder he would need to smash for the <<Martial Arts>> Skill. "Yes, this is it." I explained and gave it a few light taps with my fingers, before backing off and swiping my middle and index fingers through the air, a chime echoing in my ears as I brought the menu down and equipped my Titan's Grasp; a pair of temporary gauntlets before I received the rest of my frontlining gear. They were oversized bells of metal that covered my hands, looking almost comically heavy. I flexed my fingers within the hollow steel spheres, feeling their raw power from within. "You take the first strike." I offered to Itzal while I got used to carrying the huge weapons.

ID: 70471 | BD: 4

Grave: 54/56

Rock: 50/50

Edited by Grave