PP - F4 Winter Is Coming <<The Night's King>> (Zandra)

Calrex gave a nod as he followed Zandra out of the castle back towards Snowfrost Town. As they were walking the young woman voiced the exact same thing he had heard many a player, both high and low levels alike, voice. It was the sense of doubt that they would ever clear this game, that they would either be stuck wandering the floors of SAO until they finally die, or their real life selves have their plugs pulled. As much as he wished he could put faith in mankind, the fact of the matter was their governments could keep them on life support indefinitely. Eventually the many lives trapped in the game as a result of Kayaba Akihiko's twisted dream would be deemed casualties.

With a small sigh the bluenette gave a response, "No I understand. I mean, we've been in this game for so long, and we're not even a quarter of the way done. It's normal to show a sense of doubt that we will ever see the end. I'm sure a decent amount of us have completely abandoned the hope of doing so and have merely accepted this game as their new life."

Looking outwards at the expanse of white the bluenette's eyes steeled as he continued, "However, I guess I just might be foolish or stubborn enough to not accept that as fact. I started adventuring out of the first floor with the goal of surviving and eventually making it out of this game, no matter how long it took. Besides, even if this was our new reality, it's a rather shoddy replication, heh. I'd rather see this world finally come to its end than to let it continue on."

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Not even a fifth." The black haired woman answered and glanced at Calrex with hopeless eyes. She shoke her head."and yes. I wonder how many players even I have both seen coming and not leaving not long time later. And not becaUse they was killed." She moved her armoured hand thru her hair."Also, I dont know how long Im gonna be here. As well as you. You are one of the players that trained the hardest, if not THE one. And you dosent feel like you wanna step back and leave the battling to the others? You are so strong. But how are you actually feeling? Someone can change his mind over time you know." She said and looked at her friend with a friendly and caring face. She tried to read his face, to see if there was anything. But there was nothing she could read. Thou, she wasnt realy that good at reading peoples faces or gestures. So she kept moving her armoured feets forward, making a footprint in the deep snow for every step while waiting for an answer.

Calrex gave a nod and a friendly smile, "Well, I wouldn't got as far as to say I'm the one that's trained the hardest. I'm sure before I came along there were numerous players that worked their hardest. I just happened to be lucky enough to push my limits and still remain alive. But, you are right, there were times that I wished to simply retire from the frontlines, and take a break until everyone caught up to my current level..."

Giving a small sigh the bluenette continued to look towards their destination he continued, "However, I can't really let myself do that. It was more than a handful of months before I started adventuring, and during that time the farthest I traveled was the gates of the Starting City. I spent most of my days within the inn, and maybe developed borderline cabin fever a few times. I guess being complacent just doesn't sit right with me."

Putting his hands behind his head he gave a small smirk, "Besides, I'm sure that things would only become more difficult if I took a break. I mean heck, I'm currently the highest level player, as well as the bearer of the Achilles unique skill that Tristan gave me. That's a lot to remove from constant rotation."

Her eyes looking forward towards in the direction where the main settlement should be as she listened to Calrex. When he was done let out a sigh and a nod."Yepp, to be the highest leveled as well as having one the unique skills, you wear alot on your shoulder Calrex. Of I was able, I would gladly help you carry some of it. But since Im just one of many, there is not much I can do to help." Her eyes turned to Calrex eyes and she gulped."If there ever is anything I can help you with, dont hesitate to call me. Nowadays, I mostly just training and tries to be as strong as possible anyway."

She broke eyecontact so he wouldnt see the that her eyes got wet. She wanted to talk to someone. But could she do it with the man beside her? Or would he just think she was beeing stupid and little crybaby. She couldnt risk that. Maybe it would spread and then... no... but there was no one else was there. The woman gulped.

Putting his hands back down the bluenette gave a small shake of his head, "Well, I guess it could be seen as something to carry, but if I were being honest with myself I don't see it that way. It really just comes with the territory. There's that old cliche saying that with great power comes great responsibility. With what happened with many of the guilds in the past, I can definitely see what this means."

Seeing the town start to come closer in view he sighed, reminded of another excerpt he had read. The idea of strength, and the many discussions that seemed to come forth as a result had caused many topics he had once come across when browsing the internet to return to his mind, "Being strong may be good, but it also comes with its problems. There is the anecdote of the Sword of Damocles. Usually depicted as a sword that hangs over the heads of rulers, it is the representation of ever-present peril faced by those in power, where a single bad decision can set forth a domino effect that could affect many, or even end up with their life being brought to a swifter end. I don't have any political power, but bearing such strength as we all do comes with its own prices. For SAO, I believe that price seems to almost always be the parts of us that make us human."

Looking over Calrex did give notice to the fact that Zandra had averted her head away, acknowledging the fact in his mind. With the current conversation, it was fairly simple to tell that the feeling of doubt was present in her as well. Even with everything that had happened, it was no surprise, "Maybe...I guess there is the chance that getting stronger was a way of me escaping from that feeling, of running away."

Giving a friendly smile he put a calming hand on the young woman's shoulder to help console her, "Trust me, everyone is giving what they can to the frontlines to help get us closer to being out of here. Being one of the top alchemists, a healer, and also capable of doing damage is certainly something that everyone appreciates. I'm sure many of us want to try and carry the team all on our own, but none of us are capable of doing so. Cooperation is our only way out of here. So yeah, if every I need a hand I'll be sure to let you know. I always extend the same offer. Should you or Jomei ever be in need, don't hesitate to let me know."

With great power comes great responsibility, was that a cliche? Zandra thougth. One of her guildmates had said that to her when they was doing a rais in another mmo back in real world. Then Zandra listened closely to what Calrex told her. She picked up every word he said to remember it. She nodded when there was something she agreed. That Calrex was such a, what do you call it, normal. Thou it sounds worse then she meant. It was more like before, she actually thougth he was a kind of superman. But the last minutes, she have learned some things about Calrex life that she had no idea of or could have guessed.

When feeling the hand on her and giving her compliments her chin shaked a little."The, top alchemist actually."she mumbled quietly. Then, the name of her spouse exited his lips and suddenly, she couldnt hold back the tears. She looked up at Calex with tears rolling down her cheeks."Yes, I know its hard to do it alone. Not only in fights and battles. Out of combat you also needs people to care and be cared about. Two of my best friends was killed by Te... during a boss fight. And Jomei have been gone for months and I have no clue where he have went. I know he is alive but he never answers my mail or anything. He said he loved me, even purposed. And now he just disapears. I thougth he was a kind and caring person and realy loved me as well. But it seemed is was only for show." She said to herself before that she wouldnt be a burden more then she already is to the man infront of her that had helped her so many times already. But she couldnt stop herself. She embraced him and buried her face in his chest."I just miss him Calrex. Miss him so much it hurts."

For a second it seemed thing the young woman in front of him was going to return back to normal, but right as the name of her husband escaped his lips suddenly Zandra broke down. Even though it was SAO, Calrex could feel the tears soaking into his shirt, and not seeming to come to and end. He gave a small sigh to himself. Even though the top alchemist was doing her best to keep herself together, it seemed that there was much she was having to go through as well.

He himself was familiar with the feeling of distance and longing for his spouse, more often than he had wished it to be. The first time was right after Teayre had become a player-killer as the result of eliminating her father. IT seemed after that the redhead had become more distant, keeping away from even her accessible shop, the Amethyst Boutique. The second time was when she had stated she needed to think some things over and needed some alone time. Both times the bluenette had extended his hand to help, to at least be there for the person he had sworn his life to. The only response that came was silence, weeks upon nearly months of silence. He had kept himself occupied with training during that time apart, but the feeling of longing was still present. He loved Teayre, that he knew to be true, and it was only sensible that he missed her with every part of his being.

With her return, even though the physical presence had returned, he knew that something had changed in his wife, and it only brought back that feeling of distance. Now, even if he loved her with all of his heart, he wasn't sure if even a third of it would reach hers. But that was something he would deal with at another time.

Placing an arm around his teammate Calrex tried his best to comfort Zandra, trying to best recall when he last saw the ginger-headed fencer, "We've all lost many people we became close to, that's for sure. However, I don't think Jomei has deserted you. I saw him not too long ago beachside, where you two have a house. He was saying about how he was working to come back to the frontlines, and even in our duel I felt that desire present in him. I don't believe that your husband has stopped loving you Zandra, but the feeling of loss is a powerful one, that can potentially cloud our better judgement. That fact it hurts means that you truly care for him, and miss him a lot. So what we should be doing is not lamenting as if he was gone, but doing our best to find him, so that you can convey those feeling directly. If Jomei is still alive, which I'm sure he is, he shouldn't be any more difficult to find than any other player."

Taking a small step back he looked at the young woman in the face, a confident smile on his, "Like I said, I'm here for the both of you, both as a comrade in arms and as a friend. If I can help you both through this, then I will do my best to do so."

Zandra moved her hand across her eyes to wipe off her tears that had wetten her cheeks. She looked at Calrex and shoke her head slowly from side to side.’’Im so, so sorry Calrex. I totally forgot that you as well know how it feel to have the person you love to disappear. Once again I was egoistic and only thougth about myself.’’ She said with red eyes. She always did like this. Why? She had to get herself together and grew up sometime.

‘’And Im here for you, both in battle and as someone you can talk to whenever you want. Now you know that I know kind of how you feel.’’ She said and grabbed his hand in hers. ‘’I will listen and be there for you. Thou I guess you have closer friends then me to talk to if that would be the case, that you need someone to talk to I mean.’’ She gulped and took a breath before she continued and said something she had only said like two times before.’’Also, my real… real name is… it is…’’ she looked him in the eyes.’’My real name is Sandra.’’ She said with a steady look to see how he would react.

Calrex gave a laugh as Zandra tried to collect herself, apologizing for the supposedly selfish act, "Don't worry about it. I appreciate you trust me enough to say so at least. You're right that I've had to go through similar feelings when Teayre was gone, but I guess that's why I'm able to empathize with what you've gone through. It's got nothing really to do with ego, at least from what I can tell."

Listening to Zandra verbally express the returned favor, of being here for him he gave a warm smile and a nod, "Of course. I wouldn't go so far as to say that I have closer people to speak with, more just different individuals that I trust to speak about different things, heh. But of course, if there is something weighing on my mind, I'll be sure to let you know. Keeping such things pent up doesn't do anyone any good, and maybe if I wanted to stretch it, it could be part of the source of all the tragedies plaguing Aincrad right now."

What did take him by surprise, was the fact that Zandra had given him her real name. To his knowledge and memory, the only person who had given him their real name was Teayre. However, the small difference did give him a small laugh, "Sandra, is it? Haha, sorry...it's just that the name similarities were very small. In any case, I appreciate the gesture. My real world name is Calnus."

Zandra looked into the bluenettes eyes and let out a single word. "Thanks." Thou there was much more meaning behind it. She wouldnt have been able to tell the same, even if she red up a short story. So she was right in her thougths, that he felt like her when it came to Teayre that time when she was gone. She remembered that she herself missed the redhead, so it must have been a complete nightmare for the man infront of her. Thou she didnt wanted to talk about this subject more. She realy didnt enjoyed to talk about her missing spouse, but she had no idea what Calrex felt about it, talking about Teayre.

Zandras cheeks got a faint tone of red and she felt a little bit embarassed. Calrex, one the most known and strongest player existing in Aincrad, he seemed at her to be one of the ones he trusted the most. She realy had started to turn frome anyone to someone. Would she realy be able to reach the spot she had back in the real world? Thou there was quite some miles left to get there.

Zandra let out a giggle. "Sorry... its just that you just said my name was similar to the real, its not realy as close as mine but that goes for you as well. To have the first half beeing the same." Her face turned to look like she was thinking and she scratched her chin."Maybe I should see if there was any way to change your name, then I can name me Zanrex." She winked and then turned back serious with a slight smile."Jokes aside, I thank you for the gesture as well." She made a female bow* and then turned to wards the town. "Shall we head back to town and call it a day, or you wanna go and take something to eat?" She asked and looked back at the ultramarine knight.

*When a girl bends her knees, instead of saying thanks.

"Oh geeze, that could result in way too many questions, heh. I dueled Jomei once and saw his might. I'd be terrified to see how he would be on a crazed spree."

Calrex gave a laugh at Zandra's comment about a name change, shaking his head, "Well, yeah, I would likely be guilty of the same thing. I guess I might just be bad a usernames. At least I didn't go and start adding numbers to the end just so I could get it."

"Yeah, you used the first part of your first name, and the last part of your last name to form your username. At least if formed into something coherent."

Putting his hands in his jacket pockets the bluenette glanced back at the town to make sure they still had their bearings. They were still some distance off from the safe zone's border, so even though they were having a conversation that required attention, he didn't want them getting ambushed by any winter wolves, or other monsters that populated the fourth floor's wintery fields. Returning the gesture Calrex bowed his head to respond to Zandra's bow, "While something to eat would be nice, I should probably get moving. I've got a lot of stuff that needs to get done before the next floor raid gets under way."

"True, there's certainly a lot of personal preparation I need to do. Just because I've got a really high level doesn't mean I can slack off. Especially wth the current situation on the frontlines."

"In any case, what's your plans now? I know you were planning to do the new quest here, but what's the next step for the top alchemist in Aincrad?"

A short laugh let away from Zandra.’’Haha, yeah. That would sound pretty weird. ‘Hey Calrexonetwothree,.’’ She said and winked.’’Or added something like xxx sniper headshot legendary pentakill godlike 1337 xxx. That would be realy… well… you know.’’ She finished off.

‘’Oh my oh my, my plans from now on? I have so much I need to do. Thou not everything is very fun to do. Like Im gonna need to stock up on a huge stock of materials. Both to be prepared for new crafts when we unlock floor twentyone as well as a huge bunch to give to Anise, I want an armour with two slots of fire aura. Thou I don’t want to waste it just yet since soon when we have access to tier three, then it will be almost useless to me since the tier three ones is much better, if you know what I mean.’’ She made a short pause and let out a sigh.’’So yeah, I plan on doing many, many material hunts. But thanks to Baldur being rank five I can now turn some of my col to mats as well. Which gonna make it much easier.’’ She said and smiled. To no longer have zero materials while sitting on hundreds of thousands of cols would be nice.’’And when Anise hits five I’ll be able to buy mats even cheaper.’’ Zandra stared out in the air with dreamy eyes. Just you wait everyone, I will get to you.’’Also I need to train to level up, watch your back, I’ll catch up to you someday.’’ She had a friendly expression on her face when she finished of with.’’So what are your plans to do before and after the raid? Mister highest level player.’’

"Heh, if anyone started catching up, like Takao has, then I'm all for it. Although I would hope that we unlock more floors before that happens. A bunch of high levels hanging around on lower floors just looks bad in general, heh."

When Zandra voiced her plans and inquired about his own Calrex gave a nod, "Well, unfortunately I'll be planning to do just that. Gain more experience, and levels as a result. With a lot of the recent changes that have happened, I figured I might need to start diversifying my skills and arsenal. I think I'm starting to reach the point where focusing on a single aspect, or even a build, is no longer going to cut it. I'm going to focus first on grandmastering Martial Arts, then from there I might try to expand my weapon and skills a bit more."

"Well, of course some of those skills are for other things outside of mechanics, but that would be stuff that I'll focus on afterwards."

’’Well…’’ Zandra started and scratched herself in the neck. ’’Ive never been such a big fan of martial arts. Thou I know it would be wise to invest in that skill. At least one so it unlocks more sword arts. Or was it two? Nevermind.’’ She turned back to normal. ‘’Also, its not that Im gonna reach your level next floor. For me it going to take quite a while. I should pick up search skill and reveal mod to make it go faster. But I only having one skill slot left at the moment and have to think thru which skill to put there.’’ She let out a sigh. She had spent quite some time, sitting on the beach outside her beach-house, looking at the never ending horizon and try to decide what to go for next. ‘’And about having several roles, it didn’t took long time for me to max out my first role, healer. Since the only way to do that is with first aid and field medic. And of course healing items, but as Grandmaster in alchemy, Ive maxed out there to.’’ She said and smiled. ’’Yeah, by the way. When do you gonna max out fishing?’’ she finished with a wink.

"I think it depends on the weapon skill you're learning. I do know that apparently so far straight sword seems to synch up best with having that skill, since it unlocked Meteor Break, which is the most powerful Sword Art straight sword can wield. Takao is certainly an example of putting that Search skill mod to good use. I remember I traveled along with him a few times and we were finding dungeons left and right, so it really helps."

At the mention of his profession Calrex gave a laugh, "Honestly, I kind of forgot I had a profession as a fisherman. I thought initially it would be useful to produce items for people to use, but I think someone switched the difficult for crafts to extra hard mode for fisherman, or maybe that's just how it is when you're at level one for crafting."

"I know that Kalesh was a fisherman as well, but he's been on and off with crafting. I think he actually was higher level than me, but I still get a very vague feeling there's a strong reason why virtually no one has decided to pick up the role as well. I guess at the least I can always retake the quest in order to gain more materials. It seems that's beginning to become more of the currency than even col."

Zandra listened as Calrex told her about his travels with Aincrads scout number one, Takao. Zandra had herd about him and his crazy skills to find dungeons."Yeah, I have herd Takao is a pretty good playe... person to travel with if you wanna go thru dungeons. As that was the reason he almost got up to your level. I wonder how many hours, no days, he had been out searching for them and have SP rolling in like a river. But he is worth it. Just as you mister highest level. Both of you plays in a league of your own that we other only dreams about playing in. But some day I will make that dream come true. Some day." She felt good to have at least some kind of goal in her virtual life.

Zandra giggled as Calrex answered her question about fishing."Haha. Yeah, at rank one, crafting is pretty hard. You should have seen me." She let out a second giggle when remembering when she only had a small cart down at floor one. "At the start, I only had a simple cart down at the market on the first floor. You should have seen me back then..." her voice stopped when she remembered something."Thats right, you did right? I remember you donated materials to me when I was pretty low ranked. Was it when I still had the cart or did I had moved into the pharmacy on this floor?" She s ratched her cheek. "Well anyway, you must drop by my store at floor sixteen. You said you had been there with Jomei, but I think my store was closed that day." She paused. "Well, I must thank you for the donations. I would probably not have been a grandmaster by now without it. You are always welcome and if you want any wares, they are on the house for you." She finished and looked at him with friendly eyes.

Calrex gave a friendly smile and a nod as he listened to Zandra speak. It was true that way back when he was trying to make material gathering his "profession" the young woman's shop was one of the places he had randomly selected to give materials to before. Unfortunately, with the way things were now, he couldn't do such a thing, as anyone with a decent combat level could form the materials way faster than he could. Nonetheless, he had given those materials for free, and from the rumors he had heard in the wind, it was possible that the act had paved its way forward, as other players had begun to do the same.

"Hey, don't go selling yourself short now. On the house is a big thing for any shopkeeper, real world or SAO, heh. I wouldn't feel right if you weren't fully on board with the idea, heh."

"Although it would be good to have a place I can get a steady source of consumables from, without having to grab materials each time. I know Teayre and I have a large store at the moment, but if she starts crafting again that's going to drain rather quickly."

"You said your new shop was on floor sixteen though? If it's nearby your beach chalet, then I really must have missed it. I'll need to be sure to swing by again and check out the upgrade."

Zandra smiled when Calrex almsot told her that he didnt wanted the offer. That she should be careful with saying 'on the house'."Hehe, Im glad for your concern. Thou I have one requirement. I wont give it to you if you like, beeing a middle-hand so other players gets it for free. This is an offer to you. There is a few more players that I would be ready to freely give away potions to. Thou, one of them is dead and will never visit my store again. Im pretty sure you remember the berserker? He was my most returning customer. He placed several orders from me as well as giving me a huge amount of both materials and cols for the last order, that he never had the chance to pick up." She said the last sentence with sadness in her voice. Then she swallowed before she continued."Then, another thing. Im not sure I can let you take my offer to give potions to your wife. Im sorry. But she killed my two closest friends in Aincrad. Im not sure I can forgive her. Thou I wish I could put that behind me. Maybe Im weird that havent let it go and restarted. But thats how it is." She hust hoped this information wouldnt make Calrex to turn around, walk away and never talk to her again.

"Actually its a part of the beach-house. Thou I almost always lock it when I leave home by any reason. So just let me know at least an hour or so before you drop by to make sure Im there."

"I see. Well that would make sense why I haven't seen it then heh."

Listening attentively to Zandra's requirements for the free potions Calrex analyzed each sentence. At the mention of Ssendom he gave a nod of understanding. The young man once known as the Berserker due to his unique skill certainly had a strong influence on the merchant community, as his build and gear had allowed him to quickly procure both col and materials. He was also at the time one of the few active cooks, at least before the bluenette had become acquainted with Takao. When he was still material gathering, he had visited the man's shop, the Azure Phoenix Grill, on the ninth floor many times for chocolate bars that boosted his search capabilities. Unfortunately, now that was all done. Ssendom, Zelrius, and the Azure Brigade, all literally within a few days time.

The second piece, which he had to some extent seen coming, was Zandra's second requirement, that he doesn't share potions with his wife. That was certainly a harder deal to make, at least to him. "The first agreement is fairly simple, heh. I don't plan on being any person's middle man anytime soon. However, the second part is more difficult. I understand that you lost your friends in that last fight to Teayre's blade, and I wish that I could apologize on her behalf. But if that is the requirement...it's not so simple. Teayre and I have a shared inventory now, meaning that whatever I own is also technically hers. That being said, I also have my honor as her husband, to not try and keep secrets from her behind her back, including things like this."

He gave a small sigh, indicating that his words were true, both to Zandra and to himself. No matter what Teayre had done, he was her husband, and whatever possessions, gains, and losses, both physical and not, were shared. "It's no consolation, but do know that I am trying to do what I can to make things right. Of course I can't bring back the dead, but there was something not right about Teayre in that fight, other than the act itself. She's had to bear many hardships, some that came with her from the real world unknowingly. If you want to you can think of it like a disease, with the killings being merely the symptoms. There's more at the heart of the matter, which I'm working to see to and resolve. The woman you saw in that battle wasn't Teayre, I'm sure of it. And whatever it is that's taken her over, I'm going to drag it out, kicking and screaming if necessary, until I get the woman that I fell in love with back."

Feeling his fists tighten at the last sentence Calrex gave a small exhale to calm his senses before continuing, "That being said, I understand if you want to withdraw the offer because of this. Know that I still trust you as a friend and comrade Zandra, but even with everything that's happened I can't turn my back on Teayre, not until I've done everything I can."

When she herd that the first agreement was pretty simple and that he didn’t intended to be someone’s middle-hand, a small hope lightened. Thou it quickly faded out. She rely wanted to help out on the frontlines, and backlines as well for that matter. But she wasn’t ready to hand out all her hard crafting’s to anyone for free. After all, the alchemy had literally taken up many hours that she instead could have spent outside and training. She would have got much farther in her levelling if it wasn’t because of her crafting. And she didn’t needed to rely on her own crafting to be a supply for everyone else since it almost seemed to be alchemists ready to offer their services.

The second requirement thou, he refused. Zandra let out a sigh and looked away from the knight and stared at nothing. ‘’Well, I think it’s best I’m being honest. Thou it’s kind of embarrassing. I have only been with Teayre like one time before the boss figth’s started. And during that adventure, well, le us say it wasn’t that good. Then, when she… you know… My thougths about her got over-written by that action of her’s.’’ She looked back at Calrex. ‘’But, if I shall continue on the front lines then...’’ She paused. ‘’Then I can’t have any ill thougth’s about someone, at least not only bad thougt’s. If you say that you trust her, well of course you do as wife and husband, I guess I should do it to. This can be the first step towards that.’’ She stretched forth her hand. She knew he just said he would drag out what was obsessing Teayre what ever he needed to do, so it wasn’t like he would disagree. ‘’If it realy is true, then skip the second requirement if you works to turn her back to how she was before. I want to meet the real redhead.’’ She said with a friendly smile on her lips.