[OP - FL 1] Breaking Bread

Sweets managed to keep calm among the chaos coursing through the streets of the city. It had only been a few hours since the Game Master, whom he heard many thought to be Kayaba Akihiko, had announced there was no option for logging in and in-game death led to actual death. Despite paying the utmost attention to the announcer and his message, it had happened too and almost seemed too unreal for Sweets to properly digest. Unlike the others, he remained relatively level-headed. Or so he thought. There are two common reactions to fear. The first is to react in a physical manner expressing fear such as jumping, screaming, etc. The second, which is basically what Sweets was experiencing subconsciously, was to freeze up. This thought did not cross the mind of Sweets as he interpreted himself void of emotion. He basically died when his pro career ended. Why should he fear death or the inability to return to reality?

Sweets had moved down a couple blocks away from the main plaza of the Starter's town. It had been awhile since Sweets played a video game, much less an MMO. Actually, the only MMO he had ever played was vastly different compared to SAO. The only aspect of the game relatable to SAO was in certain PvP situations you were capable of losing all your gear to the enemy. From what he read on SAO, however, the combat and other mechanics were vastly different. He needed to gather his thoughts and figure out a plan for starting his new life. 

He would settle upon a bench along a smaller street in the city. There were a few vendors around, some patches of green, a few players/NPC's, and of course the pavement. He opened his menu to get to his inventory. He had bread and water. Perfect. Now that he thought about it, Samuru actually hadn't eaten dinner yet. Good thing he skipped dinner to log on. He pulled the bread from his inventory and hurriedly took a chunk out of it with his teeth in a semi-barbaric manner. Initially a wry smile ventured upon his lips until he really began to chew. 

"Bland. At least I have something to munch on though. Now how am I gonna make my way in this game?"

Itzal was walking through the streets on floor one's town of beginnings.  It had been a while since he was here but he figured he'd check up on it every now and then.  He was a little shocked to say the least that there were a few players who were still terrified of this death game.  Surely all this time would help them get over it by now right?  Or at least a little?  But it appeared to be the reverse.  While some players moved on, and even caught up with others, there were still players cowering in this town.  He tried to talk with them but they didn't listen.  Now that most of the strong willed players had moved on he was wondering if there really was no reason for his returning here.  He made his way to the exit when he heard someone take a loud bite.  That sounded like someone without a care in the world.

When he turned to see who it was he saw a player with sky blue hair and starter clothes.  This player's appearance was quite different from Itzal's of course, who was currently wearing Niger Natio, covering him head to toe in black cloth and gray leather gauntlets and bracers, as well as a hood and mouthpiece covering his facial features.  He only wore this because his own starter clothes had lost their durability at last.  He made an order for clothes more to his taste of course, but it had yet to be finished.  This player however seemed content to sit down and eat.  Unafraid of this world.  He admired that, though he wondered if this player had a drive, a purpose for living here.  Itzal pulled out a bit of cooked rabbit meat Velnia had caught before he lost her.  It was definitely better than the starter bread.  He tossed it into the player's lap.

"Try that," he said as he lowered his hood and mouthpiece.  "It's a lot tastier," he said with a friendly smile.  Despite the chosen appearance of Niger Natio it was not meant to frighten players, but monsters.  When he took the hood and mouthpiece off it usually removed the effect and relaxed players who saw him like that.

Edited by Itzal

Upon first glimpse of Sweets, any ordinary passerby may think he was totally unaware of his surroundings. He had plunged himself face first into the starter bread. Sweets really didn't have the best table manners. Good thing he wasn't at a table. Despite the bread not being the best tasting entree in the world, he felt hunger. Which was strange since he was in a Virtual Reality. On second thought, it wasn't that strange because he could actually feel the rest of his body as well. It also didn't help that once he took the first bite all he could think about was food from then on. Leading to his current state of feeding. His 'meal' was interrupted as an object landed in his lap. Meat. Meat?!

"Try that,"

Sweets raised his head to make eye contact with the benevolent stranger. He didn't have to raise it that far.  The man, if you could call him that, was considerably shorter than Samuru himself. Unfortunately, this took away from the menacing look the young man's outfit was going for. Sweets watched intently with his standard stern look as the player, as indicated by the green diamond overhead, revealed his face. 

"It's a lot tastier,"

Sweets' gaze lingered for a moment longer before considering the meat. The boy, or young man as Sweets really couldn't tell, seemed to have an honest face. Samuru had heard stories in town before about certain players targeting other players. It seemed like he didn't have to worry about that as this player's icon was green. And they were in a safe zone. But then again, Sweets in his starting outfit could stand out to potential predators as an easy target. On the flip side, he could also stand out to generous players as a newbie who needed help thanks to his starter clothes as well. Honestly, this was way too much thought. He was hungry and meat was sure to be better than his bread.

He took the rabbit meat in hand and went for the biggest chomp possible. It wasn't the greatest meat he had ever had but it was a welcome taste. The meat was chewy but tender enough to allow for enjoyment.

"Thank you." Sweets murmured with his standard expressionless face, "You're right, this is a lot better than bread" he agreed before taking another bite of his rations.

"You look like you've been around the game a bit. What are you doing in town? Wait, more importantly, where does one get this meat?" Sweets wasn't the greatest conversationalist. His mind thought in more segmented thoughts than one continuous flow and he wasn't afraid to interrupt people to get his multiple questions out.

Itzal watched as the man stared hungrily at the meat Itzal tossed to him.  Itzal knew that anyone who loved food would have no debate whatsoever in their head if they had to choose between common bread, and a piece of cooked meat.  Unless the consumer was starving to death, they could usually tell that though it was cooked it was poorly done.  Itzal didn't blame them though.  Velnia, the purple dragon who died a little while ago had used her fire to cook it.  She wasn't a master in anything so it wasn't a perfect dish.  However this player looked up from his meal and hesitated.  Itzal had seen that look before.

Jonathan had given that same exact look of concern when he saw his armor, Niger Natio.  This player's first thought of Itzal was that he was a player killer.  Of course he seemed to start a speedy mental debate about this and Itzal understood why.  Player couldn't kill others inside a town without fighting in a duel.  However they could lead a player outside a town and kill them there.  Itzal's armor looks like something a pker would use (and with the hood on he actually can appear taller than he really is if used right).  However he then looked at Itzal's face when he noted the slight movement of his shoulders showing his relaxing a little.

As the player thanked Itzal, he noted that the player was able to remain expressionles.  In face at least.  Itzal found that the truth was in the eyes more than anything else.  However he hadn't mastered the art of detecting and discovered nothing at the moment.  He was about to reply to the players comment when a torrent of questions cut him off.  Itzal smiled.  Curiosity was important if you wanted to be a scout like Itzal, and he respected anyone who had it.

"Well I usually don't train here anymore but I do tend to check on the players still lingering around.  As for the meat I used to have a familiar. She caught rabbits all the time and roasted one or two for me to eat.  I hunt them now, but just for food."  Itzal was slightly worried as he did not hear anything from Ulises inside him.  That meant he was deep in thought.  Itzal wondered if That was good or bad.

"Check on players for what?"

Sweets perked up a bit when he heard that. It was a little odd but not unheard of. He had heard a couple rumors about higher leveled players better known as frontliners. Most of them were precautionary or downright derogatory. Few were as grateful as they should be considering all he has heard came from players who were hiding in the starting town. Sweets couldn't necessarily assume the player gifting him meat was a frontliner or even all that much higher level than himself. The only indicator of a difference in level between himself and this player was clothing. The clothing was sleek yet it wasn't all that impressive, mostly a plain darker themed outfit. Adding to his inability to judge the man's level was the fact Sweets was completely new to the game.

"You had a familiar? What happened?" Sweets was straight to the point. He figured the familiar was no more based on the use of "had" but it never hurt to confirm. Right?

Sweets popped the last bit of meat into his pie hole. He completely neglected his bread thanks to all of his attention being put towards the meat. He didn't know if he could pocket the rest of his bread or if it would disappear should he try to return it to the inventory. His only safe course of action would be to finish the loaf. As much as he wanted to be a ruffian and scarf the rest of it down, he was entertaining another individual now. He took his eyes off of Itzal for a moment to watch his hands pick a piece off the bread before popping it into his mouth. He then returned eye contact with Itzal once more.

"Oh yeah, My name is Sa-"  Samuru paused as he squinted his right eye. "Sweets. It's Sweets." It was going to take some time to get used to his in game name...

At hearing the player's question he smiled inwardly, once again at the players curiosity.  It was true that most high level players don't bother with players down here.  But Itzal was different. 

"I find players who need help down here.  So far it's been players who look like they are about to get themselves killed by feeling brave and going out on their own.  Not that bravery is bad, but at level one if you don't have help you won't last.  No question.  That's why I try my best to intervene before another player is added to the stone."  As the player asked about his familiar Itzal sighed.  It was his own stupidity mentioning her at all.  

"Her game was Velnia.  She was a wonderful small purple dragon.  And she died saving me from a warg."  he was silent for a moment When he noticed that the sound of loud munching stopped.  He grinned at the player.  "If you act like someone you aren't in front of others, they will discover the truth one way or another."  when the player began telling him his name Itzal respected his real identity and didn't press for it.

"Nice to meet you Sweets!  My name is Itzal."

Jonathan walked on floor one. He had done it quite a bit recently, searching for players that needed help down here. As usual on floor one, he wore no armor, and his shield was not equipped, so all that was on him was his black handled sword, a black cotton shirt and some jeans. He was looking to help or recruit everyone down here. Protect as many lives as he could. The slight breeze brushed his golden white hair and his green eyes scanned for any players. Then he seen a familiar player next to a bench. The black haired boy adorned Niger Natio as he normally did. Jonathan walked up and said, Hey Itza..." Jonathan caught a glimpse of the blue haired boy. "Oh, sorry. My name is Jonathan, pleasure to make you acquaintance. " 

Sweets nodded as Itzal stated his intentions.

"Well then, I accept your offer of help." Itzal hadn't exactly offered up his services to Sweets but he decided to accept anyway. "To tell the truth, it has been awhile since I've been online gaming. I'm not sure if there is any validity to actually dying but there's no point in me finding out. I'm not in any hurry to return to the real world."

Samuru glazed over most of what Itzal had to say next. Based on the explanation offered by Itzal, it sounded like the dragon Velnia was an NPC. He couldn't imagine another player taking on the role of a dragon. The audible sigh preceding Itzal's response indicated there were lamentations on the past with the familiar. Most likely because of the pet's resulting death. Sweets wasn't exactly the sympathetic type so he chose to move away from that conversation point. 

Itzal also chose to comment on his more... respectful... manner of eating. In truth, Sweets did it for the benefit of the other in his presence. If the young man didn't mind him munching like a mongrel, Samuru wouldn't hold back. He polished off the rest of his bread in a hurry. With his hunger sated, virtually, Sweets felt ready to adventure. He stood up from the bench as Itzal introduced himself. It was then Sweets really took notice of the size difference between himself and Itzal. He realized then he was no longer in the professional sports realm and that most of the players in Aincrad may be significantly smaller than himself.

"Good to meet you Itzal, I look forward to working with you." Sweets stated as took up Itzal's non-existent offer once more. Sweets also put his hand out for a handshake which if taken he would consider an indication of Itzal's acceptance.

Another approached, presumably an acquaintance of Itzal. Sweets astutely deduced this based on the fact the simple garbed individual referred to Itzal by name. This one was a bit taller. Considerably taller actually. But not quite on Samuru's level. 

"Howdy, I'm Sweets." Samuru responded to Jonathan. Jonathan didn't exactly sound like an in game name. Samuru chose not to linger on this point and decided it was time to get to work. "So, I've read about SAO prior to joining but really, I have no idea where to start or what to focus on. If I had to guess, money making would be my priority, right?"

Itzal listened as Sweets mentioned accepting his help.  Most people would not like having someone request a favor upon meeting someone.  Itzal was the exception.  He would gladly help anyone who needed it and grinned in response.  He was truly surprised at hearing that Sweets didn't believe that he would really die and was briefly worried as this could cause him to ignore the risk and plunge head first into the dangerous world of SAO.  He pushed this aside with reluctance however, knowing that everyone had their own opinion.  After he mentioned how Sweets shouldn't hide himself from others he devoured the last of the bread, drawing out a small laugh from Itzal.  Itzal was about to shake Sweet's hand when he heard a familiar voice.

Itzal turned and saw Jonathan and a large grin appeared on his face.

"Jonathan!  How have you been lately?"  Before Jonathan could reply however Sweets asked a question as well as an assumption.  Itzal frowned and shook his head.  "No actually.  Col making would come later.  If your goal is to become a tank I'd ask Jonathan for advice but I do know that armor skills.  If you want to be a DPS though you'll need to start with bringing your sword skill up to rank 4 or so before anything else.  Once you do that leveling shouldn't be a problem.  Only after you've gotten a good rank and level, as well as a good concept of how the game works do I recommend getting a profession."

Jonathan smiled as the player introduced himself as Sweets. That was a pretty cool name. The boy returned his attention to Itzal who also asked how he was. Before Jonathan got an answer out, Sweets asked about what he needed to focus on. Jonathan looked at Sweets after Itzal was done talking and said, "You can change your character however you want. You can make it so you take massive damage. Or deal it. You could be a healer, we only have a few of those in Aincrad. You could even be an all around fighter. That would take a lot of training to take off though. " Jonathan looked at the players weapon. "Looking at that you use a two handed sword, it being an all around would be a bit easier, but I think a DPS would be great because you would deal massive damage to multiple targets. 

A lot of information came Sweets' way at once. While he was once a tried and true gamer it was still a bit much to hear all at one time. He recognized most of the terms they threw out. A tank? Someone who took hits if he recalled correctly. It would be kind of cool to be a big burly tank, seeing as he was already much bigger than the first two players he met in SAO, but that would be too obvious of a fit. He wanted to surprise others. Go against the grain. Plus, he couldn't really imagine wearing cumbersome armor being fun at all. He assumed tanks would need heavier armor types. Damage dealing was something he would obviously like to do. He would like to put his healthy shoulder to good use. Healer? From what he read previously, he thought there was no magic in SAO. Could he have been wrong?

"Healing sounds kind of boring but tell me more. I thought SAO had no magic?"

The mention of his two handed sword and its ability to target multiple enemies at once sounded appealing. It sounded like that would open up avenues for Sweets to venture out alone. He wondered if solo play was common at all. If not, he was going to be in a bit of trouble. He sort of jumped into SAO all on his own.

"What is the normal method of leveling anyway? Do players tend to form groups or go solo? I imagine solo play allows for faster leveling but what with the possibility of actually dying..." Sweets trailed off. He figured he didn't need to finish the thought to get his point across.

Itzal listened as Sweets asked another question and Itzal realized with minor disappointment that this player didn't care that they were in a death game.  Sure Itzal loved this world despite what they were trapped, but he still wanted to get home.  This player seemed to only care about thrills.  This thought brought a frown to his face.  Still he decided to answer the question.  

It doesn't have magic.  Healing is a skill you can get that heals other players. If a submersive vertual reality mmo game was made without healers there would be plenty of complaints."  In response to Sweets next question he droppped the frown but didn't smile either.

"Levels are gained by getting enough xp to get a skill point.  Skill points are what raise your level. Their also what you use to unlock or upgrade a skill.  I personally solo a lot but I never do anything I can't handle."

Jonathan listened to Sweets next round of questions. He listened to Itzal's answers then put his own opinion out. "First off, You are right. Sao has no magic. There are skills that you can use to heal others, and you can use crystals to heal somebody as well." Then the boy had asked what the normal way of leveling was. There are multiple ways in fact. You can fight mobs, search for materials. And a few more that I have never done... but these will give you skill points, and eventually level you up. I, myself usually solo, but occasionally I have the help of Itzal. Jonathan looked around, seeing if they had gathered any attention. 

Sweets' hand moved to scratch the back of his head. 

"You guys both solo but are taking the time to educate me on this game?"

Samuru let that sit for a moment. He was genuinely confused. Both seemed to be amiable fellows. Was there any reason to solo, especially given the threat of death? Logic would dictate players work together out of fear of death. Based on the knowledge displayed by both parties Sweets had to assume these players had a pretty good grasp of the game.

"Is it hard to find people to work with?" Samuru wondered aloud more than he meant to say it to those present.

He then thought back to his original thought when he first caught a glimpse of Itzal. His first thought was to fear the player despite being in a safe zone. How much more would he have to worry about partying with a stranger in a death game out in the field. On the other hand, how could a player party with someone like Sweets in his current state? He was rolling out question after question acting like a complete noob. Unfortunately MMO etiquette eluded his memory. Having a complete rookie alongside in battle would probably prove to be more of a hindrance than assistance. 

Samuru crossed his arms and brought his right hand up to support his chin as he began to think. How could he learn to become a contributing member in a death game without being a nuisance to others. He had heard of the merchant life but he would much rather be an adventurer. Maybe the merchant life wouldn't be so bad though?

Itzal chuckled as Jonathan spoke immediately after himself.  They both said pretty much the same thing, just different perspectives.  To Sweet's surprised comment Itzal nodded.

"Of course!  Don't forget that we were as clueless as you once.  I'm never going to forget that day and because of that I intend to help anyone new to the system."  Itzal recalled the time where he actually pondered the idea of getting strong enough to go hunt down pkers and mentally laughed at the idea.  Ulises did too but Itzal didn't mind.  Even if it was to insult him.  He probably would have died not to long after those thoughts had it been for Verus.  Verus taught him the basics of combat and when he introduced Itzal to Adhae that was the start of Itzal's road.  He never had friends before and here he already had two!  Not only that but not long after they took a trip and Itzal had the chance to show off his skills by scouting the forest on the branches of trees.  That's when he met Kooh.  He shook his head as that would lead him on a whole other topic and therefore wander into the void. 

"Well, depends on who you're looking for.  If your looking for a temporary partner then anyone really.  If your looking for a friend, well.  I kind of got lucky.  Actually really lucky now that I think about it.  When Jonathan and I ran into each other we decided to hunt together.  After we started we found out how perfectly we worked together."  Then he recalled the red-headed player he met in the woods.  "I actually met a pker once, but that's for another time."

OOC- I still haven't finished that thread due to her not posting

Jonathan listened as a fresh new spawn of questions popped up. The first one was about them being solo, but still helping him learn the game. Jonathan thought for a second then answered. "I used to not know anything either. I was a complete solo player, figuring  stuff out on my own as I went. It was hard and I don't want anyone else to have to deal with it. Anyway... We don't plan on being solo for long. Soon Me Itzal and a few others will be starting a guild, dedicated to leveling up players, and helping low levels to reduce the risk of death and make more players strong and not die every day. " Jonathan looked at the puzzled blue haired boy. The net question was, Isit hard to find someone to work with. "Not really. You find someone you work well with, then you move and strive to make one another better than before. You usually can find them in the most random places. Jonathan nudged Itzal as his mind flew back to the day he met Itzal. They both had changed so much since then. 

"A pk'er?!" Sweets gasped aloud. He was, of course, familiar with the term. Player Killer. Probably one of the more revered and sought after titles in the online gaming community. PK'ing was the ultimate method of proving one's superior gaming skills. To many gamers, at least. The gaming community in general was an elitist environment where many desired to be the greatest and projected competitive spirit in many forms. No one played video games to be mediocre at them. He had heard of player killers before but to actually meet someone who had danced with a pk'er before was a bit offsetting. He wanted to inquire further but Itzal learned his lesson and closed off that conversation point. Tease.

"What would the requirements of this guild-to-be entail?" Samuru asked with genuine curiosity.

A guild may be just the thing for him. He did just come from a team environment and has thrived in a team environment for a bit of time. He knew little to nothing about the game so he could definitey use some people to show him the ropes. At least until he could become self sufficient to learn on his own. He also imagined joining a guild and growing relationships in a game with perma death and pk played could provide innumerable benefits.

"I know I can't offer much at this time but I am immensely interested in this possible guild you speak of."

Itzal watched as Sweets reacted to his mentioning a pker and mentally kicked himself.  This player was new and was probably still terrified of the idea like he was.  He had met Teayre before his confront with Ulises in the quest calming the soul, so he was just happy he kept his wits and didn't attack her in any way.  It was a good thing too.  Not only was she a pker, but she was an important member in the front lines.  He felt he could trust her as long as the leash the other front liners had on her was secure.  Still, she was rude and selfish so he didn't see himself working well with her in the future.  Still there were plenty of players and he was certain that sooner or later he would have an encounter with more pkers.  But this time he'd be ready for them.  And after all, not all pkers were evil.  There were several who killed because they had no other choice, or to protect someone.  He believed if for the right reason, players could be forgiven.  He just needed to know their history.

When Sweets mentioned the guild he returned his focus.

"Well we're working on the mechanics right now but we have the general idea.  The guild is going to be designed to help low level players get higher pretty fast.  Actually Jonathan I needed to talk to you about an idea, and Sweets you can listen in if your interested.  I was thinking that members could all have ranks:  Newcomers would be rank novice, and once they've finished their training they'll be moderates.  Masters will be the members of the council, who will discuss and vote together.  We were also trying to develop an award system but it's a slow progress."

Jonathan watched as Sweets gasped at the mention of a Pker. Jonathan interupted there. I will say, that there are Player Killers and then here are killers. Or in another word "Mavericks". Say, we were out in the field, and some green player attacked Itzal with the intent to kill him. My reaction would be kill the player, if I could. Then I would be considered a Pker. But... I would have done it to protect another and rid this world of a later potential killer. Jonathan went quiet. Then the Idea of the guid seemed to strike the boy. He seemed very interested in the Idea. Requirements? There would not be many requiremnts, as long as you participate in guild activities when we need you to... We have got the big picture of helping out others, We just need to work out the small and intricate Ideas. Itzal aid a new Idea on him. Jonathan turned to Itzal, face full of thought. I like the Idea of the ranking, and I also like the word Novice, I just do not like the Idea of we are their masters... I think add a different word there, and then put something in between there. So it would be Novice, A higher Rank, Council Member. ouncil makes decision and leader could break a Tie I guess.

A pre-emptive Player Killing. Seemed like a touchy subject. Samuru actually studied a little political science in his university days, he was specifically interested in game theory. Jonathan almost made it sound like the prisoner's dilemma wherein it's either kill or be killed. Sweets was in no place to judge, being a former athlete he knew it was easy to critique. Personally, he felt if a person were never in the same situation they should not be able to judge.

Sweets grimaced internally at the christening of the "Novice" title. You may as well just call the newcomers in the guild noobs. That wasn't uncommon though, one guild Sweets was a part of in a different game made people start out as peons. Perhaps this was karma coming back to bite him in the rear. Should he choose to join this nameless guild, he wild be a lowly novice.

"Based on your guild's founding mission, helping low level players, it sounds like it will be a fairly large guild. You might need a better framework for your guild hierarchy." Samuru replaced a hand under his chin as he began to think once more. "Since you're helping people, maybe the veteran players not in leadership roles could be called Guardians. Or Sentinels. I'm just thinking of titles that indicate these players look out for lower levels." Given Jonathan's comment on the master title, he chose to leave out mentioning overseer or overwatch. He actually liked the idea of a watchdog title though. "Another potential rank name for beginners could be apprentice? The name sort of infers they are being mentored with the expectation the apprentice will eventually be promoted in order to help others." 

Samuru really was not a fan of the novice title. He was hoping his suggestion didn't make that obvious.