[OP - FL 1] Breaking Bread

Itzal nodded to Sweets agreeing with him.

"Good point, but just so you know, people can see the word apprentice as noob as well," he told him understanding what he was thinking.  "As for the names I agree, though I think they should be said along side the player's job:  For instance, apprentice scout, guardian scout, then master scout.  To me that seems the best ranking.  Think about it this way:  An apprentice is someone being trained.  In star wars once you moved from padawan, you became a jedi knight.  Another way to say it was jedi guardian.  And then finally, those who were above the others were the masters.  If you can give a better name for those who've mastered the skills for the jobs suited for them then I'll gladly listen."

Jonathan listened as the two talked about guild titles. Jonathan liked the Idea of apprentice. Then the name of Sentinel. He still did not like the word master. They brought the players up, not kept them down. He looked at the two and said, I like the name of Apprentice, Then when they have enough experience and have been examined and approved by their officer, or council member, they can become a Sentinel or whatever we will call it, and they will be able to lead the Apprentices. With that Jonathan looked away. He believed it was a good way, but Itzal and Sweets could possibly have an idea to revise it. 

"When I hear apprentice, however, I think of someone in training or learning. When I hear novice I think of someone who has no experience or no idea what they're doing." Sweets responded flatly. He didn't have to but he was more the type to state his mind. Probably part of the reason he used to butt heads with coaching staffs.

Samuru dropped his right hand from his chin to rub the elbow of his left shoulder. He didn't anticipate he would be helping come up with guild titles. If he took a step back and really thought about it, he was in the middle of helping start a guild. In the a backwater alley of the starting town. Good times. Sweets crossed his arms as he continued to think. Itzal seemed intent on the master title. Jonathan had sidestepped the master remark altogether. Honestly, Sweets didn't really care about the higher up ranks. He would get there eventually. The starting name was paramount, not just to him but he guessed other players. He wasn't aware what other  guilds were calling their people but it was probably something like soldier.

"Hmm," he audibly hummed "so this is your guys' guild, did you have a name in mind for the guild? That could help with the naming conventions."

Having a theme to work off of would definitely help. For example, the Aincrad Crusaders could have titles like acolyte then Templar then Zealot, and so on. That would make sense seeing as crusader was typically tied to religious purposes so Samuru would essentially look to religious warrior archetypes. Sweets would have to remember this idea in case he ever got to form his own guild.

Itzal nodded to Sweet's comment, taking note.

"Good point.  Unfortunately the word novice has moved from 'new' to 'pathetic at everything'.  Or in other words 'noob'.  But people don't really do that with the word apprentice.  Though instead of something like officer or council member, which I feel belongs in a more politic or military standard, how about something like keeper or mentor, or even teacher.  I feel like that sounds more of what we aim to do.  So Apprentice scout, Sentinel scout, and Keeper scout.  Sound good?"  He listened to Sweet's question as to the guild's title.  Itzal sighed.  That had been a hefty topic indeed.

"I was hoping we could go with 'Arcane Brotherhood'.  I had hoped for a guild with that name for the longest time, and once again before anyone says it, I know magic doesn't exist in Aincrad, and I don't care.  As for your comment on brotherhood," he said pointing to Jonathan, "we both know, everyone knows that brotherhood doesn't exclude women at all.  It's a title.  If your going to be sexist here we're gonna have a real problem.  Especially if your for a gender you aren't."  He grinned ever so slightly to his friend to indicate that he was joking.  "As it is Jonathan had suggested 'Twilight Spectrum.'  It sounded good, though I still prefer my title."  He gave a dismissive shrug.  "Than again I've never been part of a guild before."

• 2 weeks later...

Jonathan listened as the two conversed about ranks and names. They had pretty much found all the names of the ranks. They just had to get it in agreeance with Alisa and.... Kaiser. Kaiser had been the killer of ideas though she added opinions most would have. So you couldn't be mad at her. Then they got to guild names. Itzal had brought back up Arcane Brotherhood. It sounded cool, but it did not seem the name for the guild they were creating. Then Itzal said something about sexist but he did not get it. Jonathan gazed over the notes. So... Jonathan had no idea what to say. He was out of thoughts or ideas. 

Awkward moment between friends. It seemed Itzal's snarky joke was lost ok Jonathan which made it almost seem tense to Sweets. Instead of a playful joke, or that's what Samuru thought it was, it now seemed to be a direct insult. Given the fact he had just met the two, Sweets was unsure what to make of the situation. So he didn't think on it and instead chose to forge onward. Jonathan may not be the most forward or direct but Samuru was.

"Well, in keeping with the theme of guild's purpose, what about the name Legion. Essentially you want to help build a strong player base, right? The very origin of the word Legion refers to strength in numbers. Can also refer to the most dominant force in the history of the world, the Roman Legion."

Sweets was spitballing. He wasn't actually sure of the origin of the word but he made an educated guess. He was accurate with his referral to the Roman Legion though, has any other civilization remained as dominant as the Roman Empire? Sweets was a fan of simple names as well, he really liked the one word name Legion.

"Ultimately, it's your guys' guild though. I'm just some noob on the street y'all randomly bumped into."

Sweets arms swung up as his hands clasped together behind his head. He didn't necessarily have to marry the guild if he joined, he was under the assumption he could leave whenever he wanted. So it really didn't matter what the guild was called as long as he could learn a thing or two about the game. Become proficient, leave, start his own merry band of guilders if he had to. He tilted his head upwards as he looked at the domed sky above. There was a great big world out there that was just waiting for him to plan this flag in. 

Itzal listened as Sweets suggested a new name.  He was about to remind him that he didn't want anything that sounded military like but decided to leave the matter be.  What he said next made Itzal feel bad.  He realized that Sweets had been excluded from the conversation when Jonathan and he began discussing the guild.  Sweets may have played other games but he was still new to this one.  He had no clue what they were talking about and therefore was isolated.  He was an idiot for not seeing this.  Yep.  Moron.  You're a part of me Ulises, which makes you a moron as well.  Hmm.  Good point.  Sorry bout that. 

"Hey Jonathan, how about we save this for later ok?  We can have a meeting or something like that.  Sweets what do you plan to do today?  Explore?  Fight a few mobs?  If you'd like some company we can join you if you'd like."  Mob fighting would be something Jonathan would like.  Material gathering was something Itzal was good at.  But exploring could be something they all would enjoy.  Itzal would enjoy it because as a scout he was naturally curious and would not only sketch maps out, but look for every little detail that he could use at a later date.

Jonathan listened to Sweets next bit of words. It was a few minutes and then Itzal decided they might as well go ahead and change the subject. Jonathan agreed. Then Itzal suggested fighting mobs, but It was up to Sweets to decide. Jonathan was very good at the idea of fighting mobs. It was his specialty. He put all his points into fighting as a tank. They could probably fight the floor one boss, and maybe live. If it re-spawned, which it didn't... I am good with fighting, I can easily keep everyone safe... Mastuh Tank! Jonathan laughed at his joke then went quiet. He awaited Sweets opinion. 

Sweets perked up.

"Actually, that would be great! I've never played SAO before and it's been awhile since I've played any video game. If you guys could show me the ropes that would be much appreciated."

Samuru tilted his head to the side as his eyes rolled upward.

"And if you guys could make sure I didn't die, I would forever be in your debt."

Exaggerating a bit but it really would be helpful if someone taught him a thing or two. He had enjoyed himself a good amount in the starting town. He wasn't afraid at all of dying, Sweets actually didn't believe they would really die. No one could confirm the others actually died until they logged out. In a sense, certain players were already dead to everyone in SAO because those still stuck in the game couldn't log out. So even if the whole thing was a hoax, Kayaba had successfully replicated the consequences of real death by trapping players in his world. Better to be safe than sorry. Not much for Samuru to go back to in the real world anyway.

Sweets grinned at the thought of his first kill.

"Hey, are there any rabbits around here? That would be what I'd like to fight first!"

• 1 month later...