[PP-F2] A light in the darkness <Itzal and Adhae>

Itzal was yet again on floor two, but this time he had a valid reason.  He had recently seen an old friend and had decided to do some questing with her once again.  And thus when he saw a low level quest that he hadn't completed yet he did not hesitate to message her.  He now sat in the branches of a large oak tree with Niger Natio fully equipped and covering him head to toe, outside the city gates awaiting her arrival.  Ulises of course was eager to hang out with her again, but part of that reason was because he thought she was beautiful.  He even called her an angel once or twice with their last encounter and although this still made Itzal feel uncomfortable, he was able to hide it easier now than before.  As he waited for Adhae he began to think about the quest he had accepted.  There had been a mother who lost her child and claimed that the girl was in the cave on this floor.  She was extremely worried and to be frank, Itzal was as well.  SAO rarely allowed a simple quest with no dangers.  Most likely there would be some sort of monster or boss they would need to fight.  What made things even more interesting was that it was too dark for even his eyesight unless he managed to get night vision, which he was of course not able to get yet.

Having received the message from Itzal not long ago, she had quickly teleported to the second floor in search of him. She was excited to do more quests with him, as she enjoyed getting to know the young man again. She wanted to talk to him more about his items. He seemed to have a lot of impressive skills and things now. Honestly, being like him was what she had imagined for herself. He was strong. Adhae wanted to be strong too. She knew it would take work, but it was worth it. Helping people would be her only goal in this world, aside from getting out of here alive. Which was everyone's ultimate goal. 

She walked around the starting town, looking for the main gates that would lead out of the spawn. It took her a few minutes but she made it, and stepped out into the forest. She'd been up here before, looking for some materials for her shop to start out. She'd run across the High Fields of Crossing, which held many couples and carved initials in trees. She felt very out of place there. Thankfully, they'd be heading in a different direction for this quest. No more weird looks from young people. As she crossed the threshold of the city walls, she looked around to try to spot Itzal somewhere in sight. He wasn't there. Okay. Maybe he was late, or something. She took a few more steps out into the clearing immediately at the gate, and went to lean against a tree to wait for him. 

Itzal noticed Adhae walk up an look for him.  When she didn't see him she leaned against the tree.  Isn't it odd how most people seldom look up?  It is a weakness isn't it?  Itzal leaped from the branch and landed nearby, rolling as he did so.  He straightened and turned to Adhae.  She was wearing her armor Lustor again and for perhaps the hundredth time, wondered why she called it that.  Was there a personal reason?  Just for the fun of it?  Itzal had a reason for each of the items he named.  Retributor was named for the namesake, since his sword brought out retribution.  Niger Natio was also named for a good reason and the two items he ordered from Teayre also had meaning.  To name or make or do something without meaning was pointless and therefore no reason for it to exist.  Itzal shook his head as he wondered how thinking about names suddenly shifted to his christian belief.

"Hey Adhae," he greeted.  "How have you been?"

She had not been resting long when Itzal suddenly appeared in front of her. She jumped and let out a tiny shriek, having been startled by his sudden appearance. Her hand unconsciously went to her battleaxe on her back. When she realized it was him and she didn't need to defend herself, she relaxed and set a hand on her chest, laughing and breathing a little easier. "Geez. Don't scare me like that, ya biscuit," she laughed. "I'm good. I've been slaving away in my shop to get more food items ready to sell. It's really hard to make things well, especially when you don't actually have any recipes. I need to get a damn cookbook and apron one of these days. I just don't have the money." She sighed and her shoulders sagged, deflated for a moment. "Where did you get all the money for those fancy items of yours? I'd never have the motivation or ability to kill things for it," she observed as she walked closer to him and pinched the fabric of his sleeve, lifting it up with his arm inside it. "It's definitely nice material."

"I'm sorry, how are you? And where's that dragon of yours?" She looked around behind him, trying to spot the little companion. 

Itzal listened to Adhae scold him for scaring her and he simply shrugged.  "If everyone just looked up when they searched they wouldn't be shocked all the time."  She went on about how she slaved in her shop trying to make items and he grinned.  "I can relate to that.  I recently got a decent guitar but it still needs tuning every once and a while.  I made one or two good songs though.  It's not open yet of course but you'll get a message once I've had the grand opening."  When she asked about money he grinned.  "Well I did say I wanted to become a scout didn't I?  I'm doing well so far.  Finding things is pretty easy.  But I have more materials than I need.  To be honest I really need to find a way to get col faster.  Like, really fast.  I have my eye on something but it's real expensive.  And Velnia's waiting at the shop.  She felt lazy today and so she'll probably be hunting for bunnies to eat around the forest.  Besides, she might actually be a hindrance on this quest anyways.  We'll be going into a pitch dark cave and she'd probably bump into us constantly."

She nodded along as he spoke. "Yeah, you're right. I'll miss the girl though." She pouted a little, and then smiled wide. "Alright, so the quest. What's it about again? You said a girl got lost, hm?" She gently punched him in the shoulder and started walking down the path away from the main settlement of the floor. "I hope she's okay. The poor thing must be worried sick, and her mother no better. I know I would be. Losing someone is the worst thing that can happen, especially when it's your child. They're your responsibility. The mother must be feeling really guilty. Though I'm sure it's not her fault." She glanced over at Itzal. "Where did she get lost?"

As they walked, she continued to think about the child. Knowing what she did, this probably wouldn't be an easy quest. Her thoughts followed Itzal's previous ones; there must be some sort of guardian that protected the girl, especially if it was a quest they could get rewards from. However, Adhae would get some extra satisfaction out of saving the child. She always felt happy when she got to interact with kids. Even though it was only an NPC... Actually, she hadn't thought about that. It was not a real player. In fact, were there any children in this world at all? 

Itzal nodded to her.  "I was thinking the same thing.  I want to save that child as fast as possible.  I don't know if you've interacted with many npcs so far but Kayaba did a really good job at giving each individual npc their own personality and thinking behavior.  Of course there are the thousands of random npcs that populate the towns and settlements, but there are still hundreds of intelligent npcs that are so close to lifelike I can't help but feel like they're one of us.  I'm going to assume this girl will be one of those individuals.  And she's lost in a cave that's not to far from here now.  It's a pitch black cave and nobody knows what's in there.  Well, nobody except the players who've completed this quest at least.  Come on it's over that way."  Npcs were amazing in this game.  Itzal had encountered many of them and the wolves he was most impressed with.  He had actually managed somewhat basic communication with them after decimating the two warg tyrants and now they even helped him from time to time.  As they began to walk Itzal felt a little off.  He really didn't know anything about Adhae.  He cleared his throat.

"So....  Maybe this is a good time for us to get to know each other.  We never actually talked have we?"

"You know what, you're right. We've never talked," she commented after a moment of thinking about it. "I don't know anything about you other than you want to be a scout and your username is Itzal. I don't know your age, your real name... Anything." She turned her head to give him a pointed look as they walked. "So, speak up. Tell me anything. How old are you? What's your real name? What's your favourite flavour of ice cream? What was your childhood like?" She really did want to get to know the young man better. He had personality and that's what Adhae looked for in a friend. Even in a younger friend. She really enjoyed seeing young people grow into their shoes, or discover things about themselves that they hadn't known before. By sending a barrage of questions at the man, she wanted to see if she could reveal anything that he hadn't thought important enough to bring up. She had no biases and no judgments when it came to personality traits. 

She stopped in her tracks as they came to a crossroads. "...Also, I don't know where I'm going. Please take the lead."

Itzal quickly processed the questions given to her, his fast mind sorting them into the order he deemed needed.

"Alright.  My real name is Felix and I'm twenty one years old.  My favorite ice cream flavor is German Chocolate and my favorite color is silver, closely followed by purple.  As for my childhood...  Heh.  Well ok.  My original parent's originated in America.  I have no idea why they took me to Japan or much about them to be honest.  They were killed by a man who took all their things and ran away.  Without their ids or phones there was no way to find out who I belonged to, not in a long shot.  A police officer had taken pity on me and adopted me.  I now have a father and mother, along with a sister named Aimi.  I quickly found out that I was an expert in math, graphics, plots and such.  However this made me look like a nerd and therefore I was targeted by all bullies.  This brought me to practice parkour to escape them.  That also made them even more angry at me, therefore getting the attention of every bully in nearby schools.  Thus whenever I wasn't at school I locked myself up in my bedroom playing video games.  That's pretty much it."  When they stopped at the crossroads he pointed to the left.

"It's that way.  So yeah.  That's why I had trouble at first getting friends.  And...  Seeing as how I have no experience with others, especially girls, it's not fun when I'm being teased the way you and Kooh pull on me."  He made sure the point was across and he did his best to mentally prepare in case she decided to tease him anyways.  "So what about you?"

She listened intently as he continued his speech. Nodding along as he spoke, she took the turns he gestured to. Once his story got around to the part with the bullies, her eyes and face softened. "Oh, you poor thing," she frowned. It was interesting how he adapted to the situation quickly enough, and how those skills transferred into his Sword Art Online experience. As he spoke about her and Kooh teasing him, she frowned some more. "I'm sorry Felix. I won't do it anymore." She looked back in front of her, having kept her eyes on him while they walked. 

"Oh, me? Well, that's a long story. Um. My name is Mallory. I'm 28 years old. I grew up in Europe, but my parents came from the Americas. That's why I have such a plain of a last name. James. My favourite ice cream flavour is cookie dough, and my favourite colour is white." She paused and pushed her amber hair out of her face, gathering her thoughts. "My childhood was pretty peaceful. My parents moved to Europe before I was born, trying to find a new job for my father. I did well in school, had a lot of friends. I did all the extracurricular my school offered, which wasn't much, and kept up with the student administration. I was president for a few years. Maybe all of them, actually." She put a finger to her lips as she tried to remember. "Maybe." Silent for a few moments, it took a while to decide how to continue. "It was only in high school where my studies started suffering. My parents were having.. Trouble. My dad drank," she said quietly, pausing for a moment to let it sink in. "He did terrible things to my mom. Their screaming conversations would keep me up at night, sometimes. That's how I got into gaming. I'd spent most of the night online with my friends." Her mood noticeably brightened as she approached this topic. "I got into MMORPGs and FPS's and all the visual experience games. That's what led me to SAO.

Edited by Adhaerere

Itzal let out a breath as she told him he wouldn't tease him any more.  "Thanks.  I hope I didn't sound rude, but.  I-it's pretty embarrassing."  In fact just thinking about it made his face redden only slightly.  Oh goodness you're ridiculous.  As Adhae talked about her own past he listened intently, clinging onto everything she said.  When she finished he sighed.  "Guess we both have our sad stories eh?  I guess everyone with good character have one of some sort.  Except a few villains of course.  It's cool that you're from Europe.  And who would have thought that both of our parents were from America?  I personally have never seen my homeland.  Have you?  I didn't bother looking up anything about it.  Though I suppose I should after all huh?"  He sighed and heard Ulises speak.  I personally would like to know a little about our origins.  When you get out of this game and they make another immersive virtual reality game, tell me what you learned.  After all this you just assume they're going to make another one?  Uh, yeah?  Humans are stupid like that.  ...  Eh, fair point.  "Say, I know you want to be a tank, and you own a shop, but did you have any other goals?"  If she was interested in joining the guild she would make an excellent teacher.  Jonathan was powerful but he lacked in the teaching department.  Big time.

"Oh no, not rude at all. Don't worry about it. I was in the wrong." She smiled. 

"Sad stories give us something to learn from. They do shape our character, yes," she agreed. "That along with mistakes are what make us us. I've made plenty of mistakes." She nodded, and listened to him continue. "True Americans, huh?" Elbowing him gently, she laughed. "We're basically related. What part of the Americas were your parents from? Mine were west coast. They had the accents for sure. A mish-mash of every other accent, though they developed a little bit of a European one as they moved home. I've only been there once or twice. My family was happy where they were. Our relatives were spread across both countries, so we lived happily wherever we happened to be. I got to meet some crazily old great-grandparents who didn't even speak English. They spoke Turkish, or something. I've got no idea. It was so long ago." 

"I don't know what I want to do. The Front Lines have tempted me, but I'm not nearly strong enough. I've spent my time relaxing and being scared of dying. I got so close to it back when I was level one. I was lucky I had Verus to help me kill those first boars. It scared me off from fighting big things since, but it's definitely a possibility for me in the future. If I can level up high enough and get strong enough armour and such, I can get anywhere I want," she concluded, smiling. "What about you? Do you want to be out there killing bosses?"

Edited by Adhaerere

Itzal listend as Adhae talked about her parent's in full detail and where they came from.  He thought that it was amazing how her parent's had multiple accents in it and was automatically curious as to know what it sounded like.  But first to answer her question.

"Uh, well...  I was too young to know anything about my parents.  I have a good idea about what they look like thanks to inherited generics, but other than that I know nothing.  Not where they lived, not what they did.  I have no clue at all.  It's pretty sad, but I don't mind.  I try not to look to the past, especially since I have an adopted family there with me.  I have to admit though I would love to hear that accent your parents use.  It would be very interesting.

"As for what I want to do, I have three goals mainly:  The first is to search for and discover the next floor bosses for the front lines as soon as possible.  The second is to collect materials to sell to shop owners and discover dungeons for the front liners and myself to train in.  The third is to help in the boss rooms.  However I don't like any chance of my death so I came up with a compromise:  I'll stay hidden in the shadows, therefore safe from attacks.  When I spot a player who is in danger or close to death, I'll jump in and switch with them, fight off the forces attacking them, and when they've recovered we'll switch again and I'll jump back, looking for anyone else who needs help.  A supporter basically.  That's how I think I can help to my best capacity as well as keep away from dying."

She frowned as he continued talking about his parents. "That's so sad. I'm sorry. You might not mind not having them, but that might just be you having gotten used to not having those parents around. What's your sister like? How old is she?" She smiled, imagining the girl. She'd be younger than Itzal, probably. Maybe they'd look similar. Felix was definitely the type of person to be a big brother. Adhae wondered if his retreat into video games effected his relationship with his sister at all. She knew that it had effected her own relationships. "Their accent just sounds like a British accent. Though it's faint, it's definitely British," she added as she smiled sidelong at him. "I have the same accent. Can't you tell?" She sucked in a deep breath and puffed out her chest. "Wha' a cheery ol' day mate! 'Ow's tha' chipper fami'y o' 'ers doin'?" She burst into laughter as she finished the sentence. "That was ridiculous. I'm sorry." 

"That approach to boss fights is an interesting one. Switching out with players is a tactic I've never seen before, especially in a MMO. Good luck with that, kiddo. I'll help you however I can." As he spoke about giving materials to shopkeepers, her eyes brightened considerably. "Really?? How much are you selling them for?" She opened her menu, looking at the amount of Col she had. It was sadly low. "I'll buy lots of mats from you. I need so many." She had a new spring in her step as the prospect of getting more materials to cook with.

As she opened her mouth to speak again, they rounded a corner in the path and saw a huge, dark cave entrance rise suddenly out of the ground. The trees and shrubbery around them ended abruptly as rock started to appear in place of dirt. The entrance itself was giant; it stood several feet taller than Adhae's head, which was a good height up already. The light quickly disappeared inside it. "I think this is our place." A foreboding feeling creeped up on her as she stood and looked at the cave. 

Itzal listened to Adhae talk about how his feelings toward his past might be because of how he was simply used to being parentless.  He shrugged.  "Whether that's it or not doesn't really change the fact that what happened happened.  Nothing I can do about it."  When Adhae asked about his sister he smiled warmly.  "Well, Aimi is about..  Holy crap, in a few months she'll be eighteen.  I can't believe it..  And I'm going to miss her birthday!  Dang it!  Sigh, once again though, it can't be helped.  Well in short words she's the sweetest person you'll ever meet.  She'll drop everything to help you in a heartbeat.  If you have an issue she'll persuade you to share it, no matter how heartless, cold, shy, stubborn, or secretive you are.  She doesn't care what people do either.  She always sees the good in everyone.  When I became absorbed in video games she was the only one who came into the room and stayed with me.  She didn't really care for video games, and had no clue how the gameplay worked, but she watched me when I played games with the headset off.  And yet with what's happening in the real world right now I bet that while my parent's are crying over my still body she isn't.  She's probably just praying for me to be brave and help others, and not worry or freak out."

When Adhae began imitating a thick british accent and burst out laughing Itzal couldn't help but join in.  He couldn't make jokes, but he could sure tell if something was a joke or not.  When she asked how much he was charging for materials he stuttered, not expecting something like this so soon.  "Well, however much players think is fair.  I'm saving up for something a bit pricey, a rumor actually.  Well, here we are."  He pulled up the menu and re-equipped to Twilight cloak, the deep purple cloak with a rarely used hood that kept the warmth inside.  "I can lead us in.  If you want to tank then the moment we spot enemies we can switch ok?"

"She sounds adorable. I'll have to meet her once we get out of here." She went quiet then as her thoughts wandered to when that might happen. Adhae had a life outside of video games. She had a house and bills to pay and people to see. Shaking herself, as dwelling on those thoughts would only make her happy, she looked at Felix's new cloak. "Whoa. Yeah, that sounds good. I'll follow your lead. It looks really dark. I've got really bad night vision, so following you is probably best. If I don't hit my head on some rock, I'd be surprised," she said, laughing. "We'll see what happens in there." 

And then they were off. Into the cave they went. It was very dark. Very dark. Their advance was slowed by Adhae's pace as they lost sight of any entrance to the cave and any light that might have come with it. She began stepping very carefully, not wanting to trip. She also held her hands up in front on her face, trying to avoid hitting any low-hanging rock shelves or abrupt changes in the height of the cavern.

Edited by Adhaerere

OOC- From now on all rolls on the dice are -1

Itzal smiled.  "That would be nice!"  When they arrived he saw the darkness within and heard Adhae tell him to lead.  Nodding he took a slow pace.  As they made their way through it was dark for Itzal, but not too dark.  The combination of his search and detect and the cloak's vision enhancements allowed him to spot objects best to avoid.  He heard Adhae bump into something and he told her to hold on.  He pulled out a piece of cloth, one of many materials he kept in handy, and found Adhae's hand, opening it, placing one end of the cloth into her hand and closed it.  "Hold onto this."  He used the cloth to keep her from running into anything else.  "I can barely see well enough so let's get through this ok?"  As they made their way through the cave Itzal began to realize something.  His mind flickered back to his touching Adhae's hand and his entire body lit up red.  Itzal was so embarrassed but he thought that the best course of action was to not say anything.  That would make everything much harder.  So pathetic.  So sad.  "Shut up," he said.  He didn't actually realize that this time he said it out loud, though it came out so softly that Adhae would have to had strained to hear him.

As he told her to wait, she did, stopping abruptly in place. Her hands didn't fall, but she was startled when Itzal grabbed one of hers. She may or may not have jumped a few inches in the air. Holding on tightly to the fabric he placed in her palm, she realized the genius of the motion. "This is probably a good idea. You've got a better spacial awareness than I do. You better not run me into anything." She paused. "And keep in mind that I'm a foot taller than you." She raised her free hand above her head as an extra precaution to those pesky stalactites. She faintly heard a noise from him but couldn't distinguish anything, and said, "Did you say something?"  

As they walked, the air got cooler. All sounds receded except for Adhae's breathing and footsteps, and the much softer sound of Itzal's footsteps. In between her breaths, she could hear soft dripping somewhere in the distance. More stalactites forming. Psh. Right as this thought crossed her mind, her hand smacked into something and she jumped a little. The fabric almost slipped out of her hand as she stopped abruptly, and she made a little "ah!" and pulled hard on it to keep herself attached. "Sorry," she whispered, feeling like the tiny cry she'd made had been much too loud, even though it had been barely more than a gasp. Once she'd regained her regular grip on the fabric, she continues on with Itzal.

Not long had they been walking before Adhae noticed a significant change in the sounds their footsteps made. Instead of reaching their ears right away, they began echoing. And everything got quite cooler. They must be in a larger cavern underground. She could still see absolutely nothing, so she couldn't tell, but that's certainly what it sounded like. Faintly, she could hear another noise. It sounded like... Crying? Yes, crying. There was a little girl quietly sobbing in a direction that sounded like her left. Unconsciously, she began walking that way, pulling on the fabric. "This way," she whispered as quietly as she could. Right after she spoke, the crying stopped abruptly. All that was left was eerie silence. 

Gaining courage to walk again, she walked with purpose. Her hand above her head still saved her from hitting against another stalactite. Phew, that was l-- suddenly, she realized something had felt off with the thing she'd touched. It had moved away from her hand as she touched it. And it was squishy. And slightly furry. Oh god. She didn't have time to formulate any other thought before it attacked. 

<<Giant Bat>> : 50 HP 12 DMG

ID: #66774  BD: 10-1=9 (Critical Success +2)   MD: 9

The creature dove down at her, Adhae only hearing the faintest whisper of wings before a sudden heavy weight struck her chestplate. The loud screech of claws on metal startled her, and must have startled the creature, because when she grabbed her battleaxe and swung it blindly it landed a solid hit. (This, obviously, meant that she had let go of the fabric.) The satisfying give of the creature's flesh before her axe made her smile a little in the dark. "Take that!" She immediately regretted speaking, because she knew that would make her a target of the creature's next attack. 

Adhaerere: Damage Taken - (1[21 MIT])  Health - 99/100  Energy - 9/10
Itzal: Damage Taken - 0  Health - 480/480  Energy - 48/48
<<Giant Bat>>: Damage Taken - (4*1[0 MIT]=4)  Health - 46/50 

Edited by Adhaerere

As they made their way through the cave Itzal heard Adhae ask if she said something.  Realizing that he said shut up out loud his face became redder, which he didn't think was possible.  "No I didn't say anything," he replied evenly.  How he managed to say it in a calm tone was beyond him but he was grateful nonetheless.  This darkness was becoming his best friend so far.  How embarrassed he'd be if Adhae actually saw him.  He heard her cry out from hitting something and felt his body tug backward when she pulled on the cloth.  He didn't make any sound but he was shocked from the sudden jerk.  They continued down the cave, Itzal keeping an eye out for any clues or sounds.  He thought he heard something close to crying.  But it.  Wasn't...  When Adhae called to him and told him which way the child was she pulled him in the direction of the false cry.

"Wait no Adhae!  That's not!"  His eyes opened wide when he saw the giant bat.  Adhae was the first to strike it, dealing a little bit of damage.  The monster hit her but she seemed to have taken no damage at all.  Itzal Drew Retributor and dashed forward.  His eyesight had adjusted greatly and he spotted the creature.  It tried to evade him but his sword glowed dark red as he activated Howling Octave, and shattered the monster with the strikes that followed.  When he landed on the ground he turned to Adhae and held onto the cloth again.  "The bat was imitating a cry.  I think I saw tracks the other way.  Come on follow me."

ID#  66775

BD:  7 - 1 = 6

MD:  5

Result

------------------

Giant bat:  deceased  (6 base dmg + howling octave = 48)

Itzal:  480/480  <>  40/48  (- 8 howling octave)

Edited by Itzal

She had barely regained her footing, having been knocked off balance by the bat's attack, when she saw the red glow in the dark and heard the shrieks of its death. Her eyes widened in the dark, only having gotten a glimpse of Itzal's focused face as the light appeared. "Whoa." He was indeed a strong player; that bat had seemed to be extremely beefy from when she'd hit it. And he got it in one hit. Shaking her head in disbelief, the darkness set in again and she froze in place. What tiny amount of night vision her eyes had adjusted to give had been ruined by the bright red glow from his sword. "Uhh. I can't see you." Her hands slowly rose in front of her face again. 

"I'm sorry I went off without thinking. I guess I'm drawn to noises like that," she whispered, her voice starting the sentence out at a regular volume but dropping lower as it continued. She shivered as she remembered the sound of the not-so-real little girl crying. She'd need to be more careful down here in the dark. Eventually, she and Felix found each other again, her hand accidentally touching his face as she waved it around to find him. "Sorreyy," she said again.

Then they were off again. Adhae started walking as soon as Felix did and tried to keep pace with him. They had been walking for quite a bit longer than she'd expected when another bat surprised her by scratching at her again.

<<Giant Bat>> : 50 HP 12 DMG

ID: #66774  BD: 1 (Critical Failure)   MD: 8

This knocked her straight on to her back, forcing her to release the grip on the cloth once more. It also knocked the wind out of her, and prevented her from attempting to retaliate. She'd also hurt her tailbone. She lay there and groaned softly. "Ouch." 

Adhaerere: Damage Taken - (12-[21MIT]=1)  Health - 98/100  Energy - 8/10
Itzal: Damage Taken - 0  Health - 480/480  Energy - 40/48
<<Giant Bat>>: Damage Taken - (0)  Health - 50/50

Edited by Adhaerere