PP-F1: Creating Connections

Esther was on the outskirts of the Town of Beginnings. She had just finished taking the three kids she looked after out on a stroll in the fields. It was the safest she had ever felt. She knew Mari was nearby, and Mari had been watching the whole time - keeping an eye out for boars, or any other nefarious types. Ever since the incident with Domarus - Mari seemed to be more protective of Esther. She couldn't understand why, but she wasn't complaining. A warm smile creeped its way onto her lips, she wasn't going to return to Mari just yet - she still had a few more groups of flowers to pick. Esther loved picking flowers, and Mari had told her to take as long as she needed.

Esther stood up straight, dusting her hands. There, in the distance - upon that same boulder, sat Mari. She was a little ways off, so it was difficult for Esther to see exactly what the other girl was doing, but she hadn't gotten a message from Mari saying that she was leaving or to return to her. "mmm~" Esther sighed happily before turning back to the field of daisies, carefully picking up them - being sure not to break the stems.

"Be careful of the yellow ones. They are horrible for crafting as I've been told," muttered the armored boy as he strolled out from seemingly nowhere. He had recognized the girl from an earlier engagement this week, and saw fit to check on her given their last meeting. Crimson eyes drifted across the fields, searching for signs of the elusive Mari whom for once was actually sitting in plain sight. Squatting down, a small grin found its way to his face and planted itself there as he spoke with the girl.

"So Mari eh? What made you pic her of all people to follow around? Are you not aware of her notoriety? What she's capable of? Are you not concerned with your life?" The golden haired youth was genuinely curious. He was baffled that someone would willingly let their being be chained to that of someone with a violent history as long as Mari's.He sighed. Answers weren't necessary but he did wish to understand the girls fascination with the pinkette and even more so, Mari's fixation with Esther.

Esther looked up at the sound of the voice, her eyes widened and body stiffened when she saw that it was none other than Oikawa. The very man who stormed up to her and Mari in the field. Quite angrily, it had shaken Esther - and despite the delicate balance that was set between himself and Mari, Esther wasn't 100% sure how to feel about this man. She glanced back down to the flowers she had been attempting to pick. Was he an Alchemist too? Or did he just have that much knowledge about the game.

"If they aren't good for crafting, then I can just use them for decoration." Esther said, busying herself by collecting a few more. Oikawa knelt down to her level, Esther was forced to look back to him, etiquette and all that. Oikawa smiled, and Esther gave an awkward, small one in return.

"Everyone says that...." Esther mumbled distastefully, turning her attention back to the flowers, instead of picking them - she allowed her fingers to dance across the surface of their petals. "But does anyone bother to ask her, her side of the story. Does anyone bother to approach her with anything but anger and malice?" Esther glanced sideward at Oikawa. "You have an orange crystal yourself right? For all I know you could kill me right here, and right now - but I choose to not judge people on first look. I don't know the entirety of Mari's history, but I know enough. I know she's hurting. I know she's lonely, in a world that hates her almost as much as she hates herself. I know she's locked herself away from everyone, because she feels she doesn't deserve any sort of positivity in her life."

Esther shifted her body, turning to face Mari, she couldn't tell if Mari was watching them or not from this distance, but she could assume that were the case. "I'm not concerend for my life. I'm concerned for hers." Esther turned her eyes back to Oikawa. "What makes you paint her in such a light? Rumours? Heresay? Did you ever think to just talk to her like I did?"

The blonde bit his lip. The lilac haired girl's words gave him something to ponder. Most of what he knew was in fact rumor validated by others accounts. From what he's witnessed personally, he's only known her to be a ruthless cold person. However, he also knew that each of her kills had a reason barring the last one if he recalled correctly. He opened his eyes., although he was unsure of when he had closed them to begin with. His gaze returned to Esther, his lips parting as he offered her a response.

"You are unlike most people I know. While your opinion of my crystal doesn't bother me, your statement holds nonetheless. You are also correct in the fact that I've never once taken the time to understand her or her reasons for doing what she has done." The blonde hated to admit it, but his interest in the two only spiked at this point. "I also have this nagging feeling, that she isn't one to just open up however. So even if I wanted to understand her, what would be the point if she doesn't want anyone to know her pain? Her reasoning? It's all pointless if she doesn't want to open up."

Esther shrugged when Oikawa said that Mari wasn't one to open up. In a sense he was right, she wasn't, but Esther felt that Mari was partially justified in her closed off nature. Esther couldn't blame her for it. "She opened up to me, and all I did was ask. Err...." Esther glanced away, reaching up to pull her hair back up and out her face. "More so, I just insisted. Honestly, though." Esther turned her eyes back toward Mari. "I don't think it's that she doesn't want anyone to know, its just that she's given up trying..." Esther sighed. Recalling what both Mari and Lowenthal told her.

"See, not too long ago - she did start opening up to someone, a really nice guy named Lowenthal. Thing is, just as she was beginning to grow more comfortable around him, just as she was beginning to trust him - he pulls a weapon out on her. Insists on a full loss duel. Wanting her to hand over her err..." Esther paused, trying to recall the name of the items. "Something about uniques? Demonics? I don't know...but he put those items at a higher value than her life, than their friendship." Esther's voice lowered, and she wrapped her arms around herself. "Lowe... I met him, and despite Mari warning me away from him - we even went on a quest together. I bought it up with him....and he deeply regrets it. To be honest...I feel useless, I see so many people hurting, so many people living with regrets. I just want to help them."

Esther slowly shook her head, "You all say the same thing whats the point but you don't even try first." Esther turned her green eyes back toward Oikawa, "So, if the least I can do - is be the one who does try for everyone, then maybe - that's a start...maybe that's just the small push someone needs."

Mari shifted, yawning. "Damn this is f**king boring..." she muttered to herself. "Damn Esther, why'd she bother bringing me out here anyway?" Mari pushed herself up off the large rock she was sitting on and stretched her back. She heard a scream from behind, turning her head over her shoulder she saw a young, blonde male player who had no doubt, seen her - and turned to run. He tripped, scurried forward a few feet on his hands and knees till he picked himself up. Running away from the safety of the town. "Tch. Idiot." Mari muttered. Agitated. The hell did she agree to come down here for in the first place? All she'd get were the same looks, the same fear, the same hostility. At least on her floor, she didn't have to bother with such crap.

"Honestly...why did have to be the one to accompany her. Why couldn't she just ask Arc, since she's so buddy-buddy with him." Mari mumbled. She turned her blue gaze back toward Esther. "Oh for f**k sakes...." She muttered. In the distance, she could make out two crystals, one green, which she assumed belonged to Esther,and another, orange, much like herself. This is why Mari came along, This may have been why Esther asked Mari to come along. Mari clenched her teeth. No one was going to die in front of her, not on her watch. Not again. 

She'd kick the PKers ass, then shove Esther back into the safety of the town. Sh*t, Mari would throw Esther over the damned wall if she had to. Maybe then Esther would realise that the world isn't f**king sunshine and daises. 

As Mari approached the two, she realised it was Oikawa - and that the two seemed to be having a friendly conversation. Esther sighed, feeling slightly relieved. 

"Esther. I warned  you about talking to Pkers, didn't I?" She glanced over at Oikawa, then back to Esther. "Course. You ignored that, and chose to follow me anyway."

Oikawa sighed. His eyes rested as he pondered why Lowenthal of all people would tread such a dangerous path. Even more so the path wasn't dangerous because of the potential of death but more so in the potential of growth. From what he knew, Lowenthal was a player of many faces. One day he could be your chum, someone you felt you could rely on, then just like that, the next he speaks with such recklessness and and acts with even more of it. His lids lifted., revealing a soft gaze to the youth. She had a point in a way. Thoughts turned over in his head. Oikawa was more than capable of listening and trying to understand Mari at the very least, the predicament lied in whether or not she would want to talk to him given their brief misunderstood history. His mid suddenly flashed a thought of Kiru. He knew the two had history however the outcome of it was up in the air.

If nothing else, it's one less potential enemy. 

"Well I may have to partake in your philosophy myself. Certainly there must be some good in her if you have such high beliefs in her right?"

Just as the words left his mouth, the pinkette arrived as if the rhetorical question was her cue.

"Well speak of the devil. How are you Mari?"

Esther didn't know Oikawa all that well, from memory he was one of the righteous types, yet here he stood- before Esther and herself, with a nice shiny orange crystal. Marking him a murder. There was no way to lighten the fact that he had taken a human life. How he could still smile, and play buddy-buddy. Mari did not know. She heard the tail end of his words,

"What's the saying?" She asked, "Speak of the devil and they shalt appear.... was it?" she shrugged. Walking past him Mari placed herself against the wall, right between Oikawa and Esther. She didn't trust him. Of course, Mari didn't trust anyone. She barely trusted Esther. The difference between the two however, was right above their heads. An innocent young girl, and a tainted man. 

Oikawa asked how she was, and Mari glanced away from him. She wasn't exactly in the mood to talk. She wasn't going to say anything. But she caught sight of Esther, who seemed to beg Mari with big wide eyes to just talk  "Tch." Mari turned away from Esther. That little innocent dumbass was going to be the death of Mari. "That's a new one." She muttered. "Asking how I am, that is. I'm as I always am. Alive." Her answer was abrupt, short, but it was still an answer. It still had venomous undertones, and was lined with sarcasm but she hadn't outright ignored him. She hadn't insulted him, or hissed or yelled at him.

Surely, that was something. Right?

"And you?"

If she left it there, one would almost assume Mari was being nice, but, that wouldn't be in her nature right now, and she couldn't just leave it there. No, this was Mari. Rude, abrupt, and straight to the point.

"How are you? How are you able to wander so freely, so closely to the safe zones after murdering someone? How are you able to smile with such a carefree air about you?"

The lilac haired woman nodded toward Oikawa. "Y-yes!" She gave a smile, relieved that he was listening to her, and willing to a least try to see her point of view. "I mean...if you see yourself as a good person, even though you're a Pker too, it's only right to at least try  to see Mari in the same light. Right?"

Esther blinked, Mari had approached, interrupting their conversation. She stood between her and Oikawa. Is she...protecting me again? Esther frowned. A little confused. She thought Oikawa was a decent person, didn't he and Mari shake hands? Did that mean they had come to some sort of understanding?

"M..Mari...." Esther mumbled, stepping toward her and grabbing Mari's upper arm. Why was she being so hostile toward him. As Mari questioned Oikawa, Esther finally realised why. It was because Oikawa was a Player Killer - it meant he murdered someone, right? Esther lowered her head. Murder the word sounded so heinous to think about....but...Mari was in the same position as he was right?

No...

That wasn't right.

Mari had shut herself away from the world, Mari was punishing herself. Was she upset that Oikawa wasn't doing the same? 

"Mari..." Esther mumbled. "Shouldn't you hear him out before judging him...?"

Sarcastic venom lingered in her words as she responded to the blonde. Her tone further proving his earlier point, and confirming that the pinkette was always in a mood of rude, cynical behavior. Rather than entertain her banter, Oikawa only sighed and chose to ignore the obvious acidic attitude the woman had just offered.

"You're right it is rather new, and hopefully something you can get accustomed too," retorted the blonde as his crimson gaze flicked to her cerulean glare.

However, his comment was only drowned out by the incoming attack of questions that seemed to be aimed at his being. Another sigh expelled from him. Raising up to full stature, he kept his eyes locked to hers, ignoring the lilac haired girl despite her intentions to get Mari on the same page as himself.

"I'm fine most days," he started. "Though living with notion that you took another's life, weighs heavy on mind daily. I'm sure you know that weight all to well yourself. However, much like you, I wear a facade. Our masks just so happen to take different shapes. While my mask is determined to show despite our best intentions we are all human and we make mistakes that we will never be able to take back; it seems like yours is hell bent on shutting out the world you don't think you belong in. But if my observation is off, please enlighten me because I don't understand why you do this to yourself as well as let others do this to you." 

Mari turned her eyes away from Oikawa, instead glancing down at Esther who had latched onto her arm. Mari pulled it out of Esthers grip, but instead of pushing the girl away, she wrapped an arm around Esther's shoulders, and pulled her into a side ward hug. It was Mari's attempt at both comforting Esther, and keeping her quiet. "Esther." Mari muttered, her tone warning. Esther needed to stay out of her damn business.

Oikawa's answer caused Mari to tilt her head back toward him. Mari stared at him for a few moments, her eyes searching his for any indication that he was lying. He wasn't. Mari sighed heavily as she shut her eyes and focused her attention in front of her. "No. You're right. I left the front-lines the day I accidently hurt -" Mari paused, clearing her throat, the word came out pained, as she struggled to say it. "killed Aubrey." She lowered her head, her hand digging into Esther to stop it from shaking. Her other hand balled into a fist. "Fact of the matter is, murder is murder. No matter what light you try to paint it in. If this were the real world. We'd be locked up, and rightfully so. So what right do we have, walking free within Aincrad? Should we not be paying for our sins?
 Sure, there are mistakes but killing someone is not one of them. It's irreversable, irrefutable. We don't deserve the luxury of living, not when we have so easily taken the lives of others."

Silence lingered for a moment as Mari pulled Esther in close. Whether out of protection for Esther or comfort for herself, the action seemingly did both. Crystal blue eyes scoured the blonde. Her gaze seemed to judge the merit of his words; searching for what he could only assume was some hint of fallacy in his tone. However, she found none and rightfully so might he add.

So there is a face behind that mask, he thought.

Her face softened. Giving her the look sincere defeat as she lifted the mask he spoke of before. Showing her true self as she began to speak. He listened. Taking in all she had had to say without so much as a breath being heard from his end. He let her finish, pausing only to make sure he had his own thoughts together before he replied.

"Murder is murder, a fact indeed. And yes should this have been the real world, we certainly would be spending time in jail for the crime of murder. However, we aren't in the real world. Not anymore. The rules that govern right and wrong there, do not apply here. The environment we now occupy, plays by rules that a man created. Rules that have imprisoned us in a virtual space to either have us all killed for his amusement or rise to the occasion and set ourselves free."

A breath gathered in his chest, a sigh escaping soon after.

"No matter what we tell ourselves, we are gonna hate what we've done. Maybe we don't deserve to walk freely as we do. Maybe we don't deserve redemption for what we've done. But does that mean we shouldn't make something of it? Our judgement will be given as we open the gates to the afterlife, until then I will make the most of what life I have left and I hope you choose to do the same. And to be frank it seems you already are," admitted the blonde with a gesture Esther as she stood still wrapped in the pinkette's arms.

"Despite your tolerance for people, here you stand clinging to Esther. Protecting her from people who may wish to do her harm. I imagine that means your care for her somewhat. If you can't see that, then maybe you are better off behind bars where you can't protect the one person who hasn't turned her back on you."

• 2 weeks later...

Mari pulled her hand away from Esther, and Esther felt disappointed, the feeling quickly dissipated as she instead, felt Mari wrap a strong, lithe arm around her. Her fingers clutching tightly into her shoulder. Esther had to remind herself just how strong Mari is, and how her looks really were deceiving. Mari began to talk, about Aubrey, she never told Esther much about that day - just that she snapped under the weight of her own toxic potion, and how everyone kept pushing the notion that she was nothing more than a monster. 

Esther felt Mari's grip on her tighten. If it weren't for the pain limiters the action would probably hurt, instead it was just a mild sensation to let her know the intensity of the other woman's grip. Mari had such a dark, black and white view on things. Esther wanted to comfort her, but no words came. 

Oikawa had words though, his words weren't exactly inspiring - but they were fact. Facts that Mari needed to hear. The blonde haired youth shifted his gaze to Esther, his words taking on a tone of warmth.  Esther felt her cheeks flush. Her hands reached out to clasp over Mari's. Offering her a gentle squeeze, a sign of solace. "Oikawa...that's...it's not...." Esther shook her head, "It's not fair to say that." she stepped away from Mari. Timid scared eyes looking with his crimson. "You can't offer someone comfort, then say they'd be better off locked up! She doesn't have to see that. She's trying, that's worth more than anything in the world." Esther hiccuped. "To just try...." She spoke through gritted teeth, her body heaving as she held back more tears. "Isn't that...isn't that what is most important...to keep fighting...to push forward?"