[PP-F3] <<Worn Out Welcome>> (w/ Raze)

Zulas saw his party companion battle with the Dark Elf, he saw how the creature let loose arrows at Raze. He then saw Raze go through the barrage of arrows, he seemed to not mind them. Zulas winced each time as one arrow after another struck Raze's body, but still the warrior kept moving towards his enemy. He couldn't see Raze's face, but he guessed that it must have been showing pain because no normal man could sustain that amount of damage and keep going, game or not.

"Hey Raze, you ok?" - Zulas called out to his companion. He debated with himself if he should help or not, but finally decided that Raze was capable of defeating the monster by himself. While he asked the questions, a new window popped up in front of him with the message 'Key item (Leather Cord)' obtained. He closed the window and slowly made his way towards the fighting pair.

The dark elf, shakily collected his bow nearby, that was flung to the side by the previous blow. This archer wasn't going to let this intruder get away with his life. Raze walked, ever so slowly, ever so nonchalantly, spinning the sword around in his dominant hand. The hungry look in Raze's insidious eyes beckoned the soul of the elf to drift into the oblivion that awaited him in Raze's blade. But the dedicated archer cleared its mind, and hastily drew another arrow. The distance between them roughly 20 feet, the wind caressing the blood stained features of the young warrior, Raze stopped suddenly and crouched, his feet sinking slightly into the earth below. His sword behind him, more than prepared for the next swipe, perhaps the blade seemed eager for the taste of this beings blood again. The Dark Elf, took a breath and aimed the arrow sailing cleanly into what would surely be a direct hit. Raze walked to him, with a bass growling sound, not dissimilar to the wolves he had fought previously.

ID# 69225 results:

Battle: 5(miss)

Craft: 2

Loot: 16

MOB: 8(base 9 - 3 mitigation)6 total

The arrows path was true and impacted into Raze's throat. Despite this, Raze maintained his eternal glare at his enemy and began slowly and surely ripping the arrows out of his flesh one by one. First the one in his neck, comes out with a meaty rending sound, not so much as a cough emanating from his bloodied lips. Then to the next, in his knee and so on, forcibly tearing the shafts out of his body and breaking them so that they could not be used again by the combatant archer. There was a noise, some kind of language that Raze did not currently have the capacity to understand, echoing from behind him. Raze knew that after this one his fight might still be far from over.

Raze: 28/60 HP

Dark elf archer: 7/12 HP (9 base damage)

Edited by Raze
Roll

Zulas noticed that Raze did not answer him. Would the damage have injured his hearing? No, this is a game, or is it something else, Zulas thought to himself. He saw Raze go towards the enemy in front of him, all the time getting hit by arrow after arrow. Zulas gripped his sword tight until his fingers felt numb, he debated if he should step in or stay out of the fight. He looked at the health bar to his top left and noticed that Raze's bar still hadn't dropped to the red zone. It was about half way there. He thanked that they had made a party because he was able to track his companion's health. Once again, he got closer but kept enough distance so that the elf wouldn't notice him. Zulas knew that he was pretty focused on the human coming straight for him. If he gets hit one more time, I'm stepping in. I'm not about to lose the only person I've met in this place.

(OOC note: this post will include a flashback scene, if I put [] around some words that will represent things happening outside of the flashback)

Felix looked at his comrades, his squad-mates, and slowly examined them one at a time. His eyes passing over Danny Clate, Gabriel Lecuerez, and Jamar Tabari before settling onto Sofia Ortova. Their armored transport shudders as it passes without hesitation over various debris. My fourth mission without much of a problem so far. All the previous ones having been either peaceful surrenders or quick executions of the opposition. Mirroring his thoughts, Gabriel says, "Lets hope this one goes well." and crosses his arms, "I'd like to get back to eating field rations and drinking sewer water back at headquarters as soon as possible." With more than just twinge of sarcasm in his voice.

On the other side of the bench, Jamar tips in, "It is not as bad as you claim it to be, I for one, actually enjoy the mashed potatoes!" gesticulating and smiling.

"Why does he have to always be so nice.." Gabriel muttered to himself, and picking up in volume he says, "And stop it with the hand things, you're freaking me out."

"Alright, enough! Okay? We need to have our heads in the right mindset for this" Danny, as usual, displays himself as the voice of reason. "This isn't some video game, you can't simply 're-spawn' if you die! So, to stay focused lets talk tactics."

The five 'peacekeepers' crowded around a small map recently opened by Danny, and began discussing various breaching and clearing tactics as the memory fades away.

[ Raze, on the other side of his frayed mind, slashes violently at the panicking dark elf, as it desperately launches arrow after arrow trying to halt Raze's indomitable shuffling form. ]

[[

ID# 69235 results:

Battle: 1(miss)

Craft: 12

Loot: 20(yay! :I doesn't actually do anything in this case)

MOB: 8(base 9 - 3 mitigation)6 total

]]

[The archer ducks under Raze's absentminded cuts and rolls up directly in front of him before jumping vertically over Raze, and loosing an arrow that pierces the small of his back. Raze staggers from this wound, not from pain necessarily, but rather from the slow loss of energy as his life force spills out of his many wounds. The elf, now with his back to Zulas having not noticed him yet, readies his bow once more. Raze turns in place and for the first time his features are plainly visible, his stained red hair and his cold dark eyes with a gleam of murderous intent. His insane grin, stretches farther across his haggard face]

"HQ! This is Operator Velehem speaking! Operators Tabari and Lecuerez have been killed, and Clate has been critically wounded, requesting assistance." But to the three remaining comrades' dismay, only harsh radio static could be heard on the other side.

Felix stood, doused in many other men's blood, and affixed his radio back to his uniform. He gave a long pained sigh and looked at Sofia cradling Danny's head in her arms, quietly whispering some Russian lullaby as she soothed him of his agonies. Slowly but surely, Danny's eyes closed, he having been too weak even to give so much as a few final words. Felix's vision swam with tears, but when he noticed Sofia looking up at him, he wiped them away. I must be strong, for her sake.

"He's gone."

"I know."

"Now what. I don't mean to be depressing but I would guess that we have about a minute until they find us here"

"I know. So I suppose that means we can't stay for much longer. I'll lead."

"After you, team leader."

Felix visibly cringed at the word, as Sofia delicately got to her feet.

"Let's leave that title to Danny. It's his alone to hold."

"Fine." Sofia peeks out into the hall briefly, disregarding Felix's statement about taking point, and then turns to look back at him.

"That storage room over there would be a better place to hold the fort so to say."

"I guess I'm following you now."

She smiles softly and raises her rifle in a cautious stance. Felix follows suit, checking behind them to make sure that they wouldn't be followed as they continue down the hall. Distracting by a distantly familiar sound, he glances over his shoulder at Sofia crossing the threshold of the doorway into this storage room. And instantly notices his friend's mistake. She had walked right into her own funeral.

Felix screamed incoherent words as he dropped his rifle and rushed for her, all stealth and caution thrown to the wind, determined to save her from her seemingly inevitable fate. He passes the same threshold and also passes the already broken tripwire. Sofia turns to Felix with a puzzled look, as if to say 'what are you doing?'

His next memories were of a bright light, a deafening sound, and a burning smoke.

[[

Raze: 22/60 HP

Dark Elf Archer: 7/12 HP (9 base damage)

Edited by Raze
Roll

Zulas finally managed to see Raze's face when he turned around to face the elf, which now stood between the players. The bloody mess that was the face of his friend could not compare to what Zulas saw behind the expression on his companion's face. He had never seen that look on somebody's face before, but it was one that made him a bit uncomfortable. 

"Uh... Raze?" - he managed to say. The one standing in front of him did not look at all as the man who he had started the quest with. Zulas knew that asking about people's life before the game was frowned upon, so could only guess what kind of life experiences his companion had suffered to create what was standing in front of him. All he recognized from that expression was one thing because he also had seen it on his own face, sadness. 

Zulas, weapon shaking in his hand, stepped forward towards the elf and whispered, "Don't worry, I'll help."

ID# 69278 results:

Battle: 1

Loot: 1

MOB: 7 (DMG 9)

Zulas made too much as he approached, snapping twigs and branches with every step. He thrust his sword towards the back of the elf, but the elf was ready. The enemy stepped towards the side and avoided Zulas's attack. He had the bow at the ready when he did and shot an arrow wildly, which hit Zulas on his leg. The swordsman took it out and watched as the blood trickled down his leg.

Zulas: HP 67/80; Energy 8/8

Dark Elf Archer: 7/12 HP (9 base damage)

Edited by Zulas

(OOC: same as previous post)

"Felix.. Felix, come on now, wake up." Felix's vision was blurry when he opened his heavy lidded eyes to the dreary surroundings he was located in. He was in the field hospital at headquarters. He focused on a man in white doctoral scrubs, and nodded in response to his name.

Suddenly, without warning, his memories came rushing back. Ambush. Explosion. Pain. Then their faces: Danny, Gabriel, Jamar... Sofia...

As the doctor began to talk, "Due to your injuries I am sorry to inform you, that you have been medically discharged from the force. The captain sends his consolations. You will be given, as per regulations, a set amount of U.S. currency with which to enjoy your early retirement with..." Felix felt a searing pain from his right leg, it felt as though it were being torn off. He gave a groan of agony and went to pull the sheets away to look at the wound. The doctor caught his hand and said, "I'm not sure you're ready to see that yet.." Felix angrily pushed the man away and yanked the sheets off.

"My.. leg..." Felix whispered as he gazed down at the amputated remains of his lower right leg. "There was too much burn damage so we couldn't salvage the leg, it was decided that an amputation would be more humane. Once again, I am very sorry, but you are also VERY lucky to be alive."

"Alive.. Sofia! Is she okay?" Felix blurted out and then began rambling about how he was only a meter away when it went off, that he was closer so he should have received the blunt of the explosion.

"You mean Sofia Ortova right? I cannot say with honesty that she is 'okay', but she is alive."

"Where is she! I need to talk to her!"

It became obvious how helpless this doctor felt, as he made his third apology yet to this young soldier. "Felix. I don't know how to put this gently, but, Sofia is in a coma in the Intensive Care Unit. It doesn't look good. Do you have anyone for me to call? Any family?" Felix grew visibly angry as the doctor got halfway through his statement, "No. I don't have any family. THEY were my family." he said. A dark cloud with a spark of insanity, consumed his darkening eyes. His frown faded into a slight grin, with a twinge of madness.

"I'm going to go talk to Sofia now."

"You don't seem to understand son. Sofia, your friend, is in a coma with four weeks to live at best. She is on the verge of brain death."

Felix slowly sat up.

[Shadowed by his haunting past, Raze hurls a flurry of rage filled blows, heedless of their accuracy. The archer, is completely baffled by this transition from tactical, to maniacal. But the dark elf has more problems to deal with as he dodges an attack from the side, he was now fighting against the odds]

ID# 69317 results:

Battle: 9(base 3 + 1 crit)4 total

Loot: 15

MOB: 9(base 9 + 1 crit - 3 mitigation)7 total

[The dark elf had trouble keeping up with both of their attacks, often being forced to expose his back in order to avoid the other. Raze's barrage of swings were sent without care towards their target. There would be sometimes where Zulas would have to step back to avoid becoming collateral damage. Finally a hit, the elf had leaped over Zulas' slash only to be intercepted by Raze's chopping action. The archer came crashing to the ground with a sickening thud, but quickly realized his predicament, calling upon what strength he had left he rolled quickly between Raze's legs and fired an arrow into the back of his head. This shot forces Raze to his knees, and he rips it out with a trembling hand and stands once more as the memories continue their rampage upon his impaired mind.]

Felix sat up, and swung himself of the bed, pulling harshly on the IV implanted in his arm.

"What are you doing?"

Felix gave no response and attempted to stand on his one good leg and collapsed immediately. The medicine man sighed deeply and said,
"I have orders from my higher ups to have you rest here for a few more days, so unfortunately you aren't permitted to leave." pushing his dark glasses farther up his sympathetic face. "I'll be right back, I'm just going to go and collect the necessary documents for you to sign, okay? Okay." And with that he departed.

Felix pulled himself into an awkward sitting position, and held his head, rocking slowly back and forth, humming a familiar Russian tune.

I'm sorry. I couldn't save you. Why did I have to live. My life is worthless compared to all of yours. You all had families and friends who loved you. I can hardly say the same. Subconsciously, Felix began ripping the hair out of his head, silver strands falling gently around him. I know now, I can feel it. Something has awoken inside of me, something that won't let me die. Something that will bring me to go to incredible lengths in the pursuit of safety for my allies. Something that will defeat any enemy, crush any opposition, and RAZE any obstruction that stands in my path to securing the people I care about. If I couldn't save you four, I know that this something will save everyone else.

Raze: 21/60 HP

Dark Elf Archer: 3/12 HP (9 base damage)

Edited by Raze
Roll

Zulas saw the fury in Raze eyes and the tenacity with which he swung his weapon. There were a few times when Zulas had to step back due to the long arc the weapon made, it wouldn't have been pretty if he had been caught in it. Zulas could see that the elf's health was deteriorating fast, already well over in the red zone. He could also see that their enemy was getting tired, his ches rose and fell very quickly and panting could be heard coming from its mouth. Zulas was now focused on his enemy, I'll deal with Raze in a bit. First, we're going to have to get rid of our uninvited friend here. 

Zulas readied his weapon again and waited for an opening in the archer's movements. He found it after the elf rolled between the legs of his companion and shot an arrow at the back of Raze's head. He knew that it wouldn't kill his party member, but it was the opportunity he was waiting for. Zulas lunged towards his opponent, his Sword Art 'Snake Bite' already in the process of being performed.

ID# 69326 results:

Battle: 6 (DMG = 2x3 = 6)

Craft: 9 (Battle healing = +4 HP)

Loot: 5

MOB: 4

Zulas: HP 71/80; Energy 8/8

Dark Elf Archer: 0/12 HP (9 base damage)

Zulas's plan worked, the elf did not see the attack coming. Zulas's sword, Eternal Penance, shone brightly as it performed the automated attack it was designed to do. With three quick swings the sword cut the elf in three different places: the torso, leg and an arm. The elf staggered backward and froze for a second. Zulas managed to put the sword back in its scabbard, and as the hilt mad the connection with it, the elf exploded into a million pieces. This time there were no pop windows with any messages, but Zulas did not care about that, he turned to his companion. Thankfully, it was a game and his wounds were not all that bad. 

He waited a few seconds before asking the obvious question, "Raze, are you ok?"

Edited by Zulas

(OOC: no more flashbacks :D )

Raze dug the arrow out of the back of his head and broke it into pieces, and he started aggressively toward the archer as it made its way away from him. The Dark Elf, caught unaware by Zulas' <<Snake Bite>>, was quickly disintegrated into the brightly colored shards of a freshly dead being. Raze stood and glared at Zulas, seeing him not for the person he was but for a potential threat. What am I doing? Raze moved into a defensive combat stance and began circling around his companion. Raze's opaque black eyes seething with a unbridled rage.. Clearly, this beings hatred was not satisfied, and had run out of things with which to exercise its rage. He is my friend! Once more, just like the wolves, Raze couldn't control himself. So long ago, he had believed that this 'something' inside of him would stop at nothing to ensure the safety of the ones he cares about, and yet here he stands menacingly...

I'm not going to hurt the only friend I have, the only friend that is left! I COULDN'T SAVE THEM BUT I CAN SAVE ZULAS.... from myself...

Raze body remained locked in its clearly aggressive combat stance, but his eyes, his eyes were different. His irises no longer were indistinguishable from pupils, they had been restored to their natural vibrant purple hue. As the last of his past dissipates back into memory, Raze gives a parting statement to his memories.. I'm sorry I couldn't save you, I'm sorry I was too weak and slowed you down, I can't apologize enough for what I did and did not do.. You four all had such a bright future ahead of you, perhaps some of you would have ended up in a happy relationship.. perhaps some of you would go back to college and go on to greater things.. perhaps some of you would have taken time to enjoy life with family. In the end, that will never happen now. I take full responsibility for ruining the rest of your existences. You shouldn't have died, but all I can do now

is be...

"...sorry... that I lived."

Zulas felt the tension coming from Raze now that the enemy was defeated. Zulas didn't go for his weapon, but continued to look at his companion. Raze's face showed several emotions one after the other. Zulas followed his companion began to circle around him and noticed that when he finally stopped a couple of words escaped him. Zulas couldn't hear what he said but he identified himself with the last expression on Raze's face. It was a mixture of guild and regret, a combination he had seen too many plastered across his face in the past. That was one thing about SAO, there was no hiding of feelings as the system made you express what you were actually feeling at any given moment. 

Zulas felt his companion relax after a moment and he himself did the same. He put his arms up, "Hey, I don't know what you've been through man, but I sympathize. I've seen that expression a lot of times before in the mirror." Zulas dropped his arms to the side, "Hey, we might have not known each other for a long time... but I'm here." The words were coming out of Zulas's mouth before he could stop himself. What am I saying?, he thought to himself. "For now, let's just turn in the quest, ok? We can decide whatever afterwards. What do you say?"

It was almost mechanical, the way he reconquered his own body. There was no dramatic tears or seizures, he had moved past that long ago. Without warning, without hesitation, Raze stood up out of his crouched combative stance and quickly sheathed his blade. Not bothering to clean the pixelated blood off of the sword's artificial edge, he turned to Zulas with an apologetic look on his face.

"Sorry you had to see that." Raze murmurs as he pulls another stray arrow out of his thigh. Is that it. Is it over? Are we done with this quest? Raze smears the blood across his face in a vain attempt to clean it off, ending up looking similar to how he looked shortly after the explosion. Not noticing his crimson skin complexion, he sighs and inspects himself, noting all the injuries as his sense of pain ebbs back in.

His joints and muscles begin to relax, and Raze seems to go limp while standing. I'm tired now. he thought, But we didn't even spend 5 minutes fighting.. But still. As Zulas begins to speak, Raze notices another pesky arrow sticking out of his back, and with a slight frown and a tug, discards the useless implement. Raze focuses intently on Zulas during his dialogue, and detects similar pains to himself in Zulas' eyes. He.. Is more like me than anyone else I've ever met. Of course I haven't really met that many people. Raze starts to say something before cutting his breath short, this happens a few times before he hangs his head shrouding his face with his silvery hair and says "Thanks.. Yeah, let's finish this up."

Zulas nodded to his companion in agreement and headed back the way they came. It appeared to him that hours had passed, but in fact only a few minutes had passed in that last battle. It took less time this time to leave the forest because they knew where they had walked, it was clearly visible in the map. The sun was still high in the air when they stepped outside the forest, the density of the trees growing less and less with each step towards the outside.

"Finally, out of that place." - he said when he was finally outside. He gave a heavy sigh, exhaustion clearly kicking in.

Zulas looked back at his companion, no trace in his face of the man he had seen before. He sympathized with him, as he had clearly a hidden past, much as himself. Although, Zulas knew that they had to be total opposites but he didn't care. Raze was the only one he had actually met since this death game began, but if Zulas wanted to survive, he knew that it couldn't be the last one.

He called the map window to find the way back to town. "It shouldn't be that long of walk. It's that way." - he said pointing in the direction the map told him, and he set out to the town in order to turn in the quest.

Raze followed obediently behind Zulas as the two made their way out of the forest and into the plains beyond. Here, in these fields of grass waving harmlessly in the wind had a much different feeling than the 'Forest of Wavering Mists', unlike the forest, it seems to wipe away all the weariness of the past hour and provide a sense of calm and tranquility. "Yeah. I don't really feel like returning anytime soon."  Raze said slowly. Forests are starting to scare me, consistently so far, they keep triggering my disorder. But if I am going to deal with Lupa anytime soon, I'm going to have to get over this. He sighed and stretched as the comrades walked back into Delilah Village.

Approaching the aptly named blacksmith's shop, it became apparent to Raze that they may have forgotten some of the crystals and ingots listed in the required materials section. Raze checked his inventory with a swipe of his hand, giving a cursory glance to see if perhaps he had picked up something by accident. Noticing nothing, he shrugs and continues into the NPC's shop, assuming that Zulas picked up the necessary items.

"Hello! Welcome to Grimswold's Treasures", how may I-" The weary shop keep started... looking up from his counter which he had been polishing with a very unsanitary rag. "-Oh it's you guys! Did you get the goods?" Automatically, without so much as a word from either player, a completed trade screen appears in front of Zulas, taking a single item. From his distance he couldn't quite make it out, but it definitely didn't seem like the multitude they were given in the list beforehand. "Great. Now just wait here while I fashion you some nice armor..." Just as suddenly as it had started, the conversation with Grimswold ended. "This NPC is very broken," Raze muttered under his breath. The NPC blacksmith never did physically return with the armor, but rather, another completed trade screen appeared and gave them both a single item each.

"Trade completed"

"Raze: +1 Dragon bone Cuirass"

Looking over at Zulas, Raze says, "Thanks, for this.", Raze hesitated before continuing, "You are a good friend. I hope you can make it out of this alive." Raze began to leave, reaching the doorway before shooting a look over his shoulder, "See you around.. I guess.." Raze said, thinking about Lupa. I will definitely end up needing his help. But first, I must get stronger. And then, mildly awkwardly, Raze departed.

THREAD COMPLETE:

+200 Col each

+1 SP for one full page

+1 SP for quest rewards

Edited by Raze