[PP-F4] Souls of Ice and Flame <Itzal and Lessa>

Itzal hated this floor.  Why?  Because he hated the cold.  It made you slow, sluggish, lazy, unable to do much.  Why was he here then?  Because Kasier, his first ever girlfriend, loved the snow.  So he made it his mission to become immune as much as possible to the cold.  Although he hated it down to the bone he would endure this freaking pain as long as need be.  Why did the cold have to be the one exception to the pain dampeners?  He growled as the wind picked up, cutting through his Twilight cloak, a deep purple jacket with his hood up, a silver vest, and brown pants.  His guild's emblem sat on the right shoulder of the jacket:  An elegant image of the sun, except for his outfit's sake, it was silver rather than gold.  Ascendant's Rosario, his icy blue sword, sat on his left hip.  He hadn't used it for a while but it didn't matter.  His skills were still great enough to fend off monsters in the cold.  Without the cold holding him back however he could fight very well.  Speaking of which he saw a low level snow wolf notice him and growled.  Itzal frowned at the wolf.  "I don't have time for this so could you kindly let me pass?"  The wolf seemed to scoff at him before charging.  Itzal reached for his sword and drew it quickly, cutting it in half before it hit him.  He didn't move like lightning, but that was due to the sluggish effect the cold gave him, as well as everyone else.  "I asked nicely."

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Whoa now." The woman's voice seemed to thunder in the tundra's heavy calm, though it was still not enough to startle the snowbird from its roost above. Below, the snow crunched underfoot as Lessa emerged from the trees that lined the path. Her hands, made bulky by pink, knit mittens, were held up in the universal sign of warning. At her side, a large wolf crept, small, amber eyes glued to the boy in the purple jacket. The familiar, with fur in shades of mocha, stood in stark contrast to the white surroundings. He, like his master, appeared to be on edge. It was unclear who exactly the blonde's initial warning had been for, either the man or the best, but when she spoke again, her attention was only for the other player. "Don't kill this one. This one's with me."

She offered a gentle, good-natured smile, but the caution was clear in her tone. The pair resided outside of the safe zone, and Lessa knew better than to trust based on first impressions alone. True, the player did not appear much stronger than she herself, based on his attire and weapon. But if she had learned anything in her years, it was that looks could be deceiving. As such, she remained a few paces away from him. Her hand did not find Gram's magenta hilt, as the enormous sword was strapped to her back, and the position was far from comfortable. But it did come to rest atop the wolf's head.

Edited by Lessa

Itzal had his hand on his sword's hilt awaiting to see how the wolf would respond when he heard a player's voice.  He looked up and saw a woman in a black coat with blue jeans and a pair of boots.  He smiled when he heard what she said about the wolf being hers and he let go of the hilt and bent down.  "Ah ok.  I couldn't tell at first but now I get it.  Hey there!"  He reached out his hand for the wolf to sniff it before looking back up to the woman.  "My name's Itzal by the way.  Nice to meet you!  May I ask why your out here?"  Either she was attempting to grow her resistance to the cold even more like Itzal, or she was here for personal reasons.  Either way Itzal needed something to do other than wander around aimlessly.  When the wolf finished sniffing his hand and showed that it was ok with him he rubbed it between it's ears and reached over to scratch a certain area.  The wolf's eyes opened wide and it was obvious it enjoyed it.  Itzal chuckled before looking back up to Lessa.  "I've had some pretty good experience with wolves and wargs but that's a long story.  What's his name?"

@Lessa

The boy was friendly, that much was apparent from his words, and the smile that he returned. But it was not until her friend had sniffed him, and demonstrated his approval, that the girl felt herself relax. If he passed Riker's test, she was less worried about his intentions. Once, Lessa had considered herself a fairly good judge of character. The wolf had proven to be even more so.

"It is nice to meet you, Itzal," she replied, her breath a small puff that hung in the chilly air. "My name is Lessa." Now, her smile grew, a small laugh escaping before she added, "and that vicious attack wolf there is Riker." As if to demonstrate his ferocious tendencies, the familiar's chest vibrated with a low, throaty groan of content. His tongue lolled, and his big eyes regarded Lessa happily. She merely shook her head. 

His second question returned to her, and she answered, "I'm just out walking, I guess. This is my favorite floor, and I spend a lot of time out here. It reminds me of winter back home." She paused, just long enough to draw in a deep breath. Her lungs filled with the cold, crisp air, which she held for a moment, savoring the sensation of her mind clearing. When she exhaled, it was just as calm and collected. "Reminds me of Christmas, specifically. I always like Christmas."

Itzal noticed how the woman said nothing until the familiar gave it's sound of approval.  It was a good idea.  He smiled to her as she shared their names.  "Nice to meet you Lessa!  You too Ricker!"  He listened to her as she told him she was out for a walk on her favorite floor.  "Why is this floor everyone's favorite," he muttered in a barely audible voice.  A breeze came through and he ended up shivering a little.  Everything about the cold he despised.  He hated the feeling of not being able to do anything, let alone help others.  Not to mention it wasn't comfortable on any level to be cold.  Then he looked at this woman who didn't seem to be bothered by it on any level.  How?  How did she do it?  How was she able to resist the cold so well?  It was frustrating to him.  He couldn't figure it out.  However he would not bug her about it and he held his peace.  "Favorite floor eh?  Not exactly what I would prefer but it's pretty."  He rose to his feet again and by now Lessa should notice that he was pretty short.  Five foot four to be precise.  He smiled at her.  "Well I'm not doing anything right now...  Kind of boring actually.  You mind if I joined you?"  Despite that he hated this floor he loved meeting new people.  This plus he needed to map out this floor anyways was enough reason for him to ask her.  And if her familiar liked him that just made things better.  He looked at Ricker.  "I used to have a familiar too.  Her name was Velnia.  I plan on finding her again soon.  Maybe you and her could play together?  She would sure love it." 

@Lessa

Intrigued, Lessa noted the change in the boy's demeanor when she mentioned her love of the floor. His lips pursed a bit, and she recognized the small tell as disapproval. His next words confirmed her suspicions. his whisper only finding her ears because of the heavy silence. "Everyone's favorite?" she echoed, before giving a small shrug. "I can't say it's everyone's favorite, but it is mine. Not only does it remind me of home, I've made a lot of memories here. Spent time with a lot of special people, and fought some really unique mobs." As memories of one particular night returned to her, she felt her cheeks warm with amusement. There certainly had been some good times.

"You're welcome to join me," she replied, shrugging again beneath her wool jacket. "But I'm not sure we'll be much entertainment. I was really just out here to walk, and clear my head. But I guess if we come across some mobs, we could change things up. I could use the practice. And the mats." Her gaze dropped to Riker, who answered Itzal's invitation with a gentle nuzzle of his hand. "I'm sorry you lost your familiar," the blonde continued. "I lost mine too, about a year ago. It's hard."

Edited by Lessa

Itzal heard her talk and looked up.  "Huh?  Oh, um.  Sorry, I didn't mean it like that.  I just don't understand how everyone can enjoy such a freaking cold floor so much."  This time he didn't bother hiding his shiver.  It was clear that he didn't like but he smiled and laughed lightly.  "I'm glad to hear that you have good memories here though.  That's something I want to do as well.  In fact it's that exact reason why I'm trying to become, uh, more resistant to the cold...  Not going too well though."  He smiled at Lessa when she said he could join him.  "That would be great!  Thanks.  And I'm certain that it won't be boring with you.  Nobody is ever that boring.  Ever."  After the familiar nuzzled against him he stood straight.  "Eh, it was hard at first but Ulise-, I mean I figured out that she would respawn at some point.  So all I have to do is go find her again.  Maybe she'll have an upgrade this time."  He started walking beside Lessa.  Usually he'd be drawing a map to get the entire floor memorized but not when he was with others.  That was reserved for when he was in the floor alone on a scouting mission.  However his in game map was being filled up so there was that he supposed.  His eyes however scanned the area, keeping an eye out for anything that could happen, or anything they could find.  "So may I ask what build your going towards?  I chose to be a scout."

@Lessa

"You get used to the cold," she replied. "I also have warm clothes." As she spoke, she held out her arms, motioning to her jacket and gloves. "And the survival skill, which keeps out the worst of the chill. You may look into investing in it, if you decide to hang around the floor for any reason."

He spoke of his familiar, and she listened politely, occasionally nodding her understanding. Loss was difficult, and unfortunately, it was a very real, very common aspect of their new reality. Fortunately, the man seemed to be taking it fairly well, and his optimism was a pleasant change from the norm. "I'm sure she will respawn," she assured him, unsure of herself, but unwilling to dull the shine in his eyes. "And an upgrade would be pretty neat. I bet she'll be able to do some cool things." She tossed him a smile, then looked ahead to consider his final question.

"I never thought too much about build," she confessed to him. "I had always focused on being well-rounded, enough so that I could play offense or defense. I've spent a lot of my time alone lately, so I knew I wouldn't have anyone to depend on. I had to be able to take a hit, and deal one. I guess I'm sort of a hybrid. I've heard a few people refer to it as a bruiser build, but I've never been too worried with what to call it, so long as it worked." Sensing he had his own story to tell on the matter, she asked, "what about you?"

Itzal listened to Lessa as she explained how she wanted to be a combination between dps and tank.  He chuckled.  "Kind of like Hikoru, except without all the hiding," he said to himself.  "Well you don't have to travel alone if you don't want to.  I'm usually available and my schedule is always flexible.  Oh me?  Well as I said I'm shooting for a scout build.  I've mastered my sword skill first of course, so that I can do a bit of soloing to level up or gather col.  Trying real hard to save up.  But I'm now working completely on grandmastering search and detect, getting it's mods, then get gatherer, lock picking, and a few others.  Hopefully I can start selling materials.  Unfortunately with the player Takao that I've heard about, it doesn't seem like I'll be much help to the front lines.  Although me and my friends formed a guild to help lower levels get stronger, so I guess that's helpful.  Other than that I guess I'm not much use."  He chuckled and shook his head in amusement.  "Just a guy who finds materials I guess."  In truth he didn't mind.  He only wanted to help others.  It was true that Takao was a greater scout than he could ever be, but he wasn't going to compete.  He didn't want to make rivals in the front lines.  He wanted to make friends with everyone.  However he would be hesitant around Teayre unless she showed him some sign of being an actually nice person.

@Lessa

As she walked beside him, her silence a stark contrast to his tumble of words, she felt a ghost of a smile haunt her lips. Trying to prepare for the front lines. A guild to help newcomers. "I have to say, Itzal," she began suddenly. There was no use keeping her thoughts to herself, and perhaps the boy would benefit from her words. "You remind me a bit of myself, a few years ago. And don't be offended, because I mean that as a compliment. There was a time when my end-goal was to be on the front lines. It was all I thought about, and all I trained for. I had to get home, to my parents, and my brothers. But my main motivation was the people here. I had to fight for them, and free them, and save them all. That was what made me fight."

Riker, who had remained beside Itzal, bounded off a few feet ahead of them, no doubt chasing some unseen rabbit or stoat. The girl watched for a moment, then continued, her gaze remaining focused ahead. "I actually made a guild like yours. It was called the Guardians of Aincrad. We looked out for everyone, from the level ones in Starting City to the veterans on the front lines. It was a big task." Then, softer, "it was exhausting."

She shoved her hands deep into the jacket's pockets, though more out of habit, as the knit mittens kept them plenty warm. "I guess I just want to make sure you're looking out for yourself too. This world gets a little darker when you're so busy caring for everyone else that you forget to care for yourself. If you let yourself crack under the weight of every player here, no one benefits."

Itzal listened to Lessa speak and he took in her words.  When she talked about her guild and how they sought to help every player in Aincrad he whistled.  "Every player huh?  That indeed is a tiring task.  Much less impossible.  I want to help others but I know I can't help everyone.  This guild isn't necessarily to protect everyone, more as help them get on their feet, grow stronger, etc.  Our guild is called Celestial ascendants," he said showing the sun design on his coat.  "And don't worry.  I don't plan on holding the world on my shoulders.  Someone else has that covered."  He smiled to her.  "Besides, my friends wouldn't let me.  Especially Kasier.  So what happened?  Did the guild disband or did you decide to take a break?  Or are you guys still going?"  In truth he was fearing he worst.  She was clearly a player who had a lot of experience and yet he hadn't heard of her.  Which meant it must have been a long time since she was active.  He was guessing that if she had been active she might be as strong as Calrex, if not stronger.  Still she was here now and he wanted her to be his friend.  And he hers.  "If I brought up a bad memory I'm sorry.  Ask me to be quiet and I will."

@Lessa

His words, though meant to reassure, only eased her mind slightly. It was easy to make promises, especially when it came to the work load you would take on. it was a different matter entirely to follow through. Lessa had found saying no to be one of the hardest things she could do, especially when the wide eyes of a helpless player stared back at her. The world simply took and took from her, and she gave willingly. And she had paid dearly for it.

Still, she hardly knew this boy, and it was unfair of her to doubt the sincerity of his words. Maybe he truly would limit how many he tried to save. Maybe he would be stronger than she had been. On that thought, she returned to his question. "I had some hard times," she told him. She would not bother venturing back into those memories, for his sake, and hers. Besides, strength demanded that she more forward, not slunk back into the shadows every time she was asked of her past. "The guild disbanded while I took care of some things." At his mention of bad memories, she waved her hand, accenting her apathy. "It is what it is. Don't apologize."

Itzal listened to her answers and he nodded, completely understanding.  Except he had hard times mainly in the real world, and later when his anger got out of control.  The calming the soul thread however was a great help.  And now he could control his anger completely.  Sometimes he didn't feel anger at all.  But thanks to Ulises he could now summon up his anger and control it during battle, giving him strength as well as his quick thinking and knowledge.  He heard how the guild disbanded while she was taking care of things and while he wanted to ask if she intended on reforging the guild again he knew the answer to that already.  He nodded to her statement.  "True.  the past is the past and what is done cannot be changed.  We just have to move on right?..  I have to admit you sound a lot like me in some areas.  Save for the enjoying the cold," he finished with a slight shiver and a wide smile showing his joke.  "So you thinking of joining any guild?  Or do you want to just progress with friends?  I understand the friends part completely.  I only helped with a guild because it made things more organized.  It helps having a four part council with players based on scouts, dps, tank and healer.  Not to mention that we as well as sentinels each take up an apprentice to train.  A player named Birdie recently joined and seemed a bit eager to be my apprentice.  It's rather fun actually.  However there are definitely perks to having no guild as well.  I should know, I soloed for quite some time."

@Lessa

Though her smile lingered, she said nothing as the boy drew parallels between him and herself. It was a method she was quite familiar with. In highlighting similarities between yourself and someone else, either in positive or negative traits, you work to earn their trust. This often results in them feeling more comfortable around you, and opening up. If they feel that they can relate to you, they will be quicker to confide in you. At least, that was how Lessa had always understood it. She had used similar tactics on many others, though far less often as of recent. She was no longer so hell-bent on prying people open like oysters. If they held pearls, they were their treasures to hide, and really, none of her business.

But when the topic of guilds surfaced, her smile waned. "I hadn't put much thought into guilds," she admitted truthfully, accenting her words with a casual shrug. "Or progressing with friends, for that matter." That would require tracking down the few friends with which she had not severed ties entirely. Instinctively, her hand dropped to the top of Riker's head. Sensing his friend's fleeting need for stability, he pressed his damp, wet nose to her gloved palm. Some of her smile returned, though it lacked much of its earlier shine. "I think, right now, I'm content just to be on my own. Even though your guild sounds nice." The last words she delivered sounded far more hollow than she had intended.

Edited by Lessa

ID#  69204  LD:  2+8=10...  Dang it

Itzal watched as her smile waned and noted to avoid talking about guilds as that seemed-  then she talked about no friends either and thinking of being on her own.  Ah, now he understood.  He nodded.  "I understand.  Everyone needs space from time to time is all.  However if you ever need a friend just give me a call ok?"  He smiled at her and her familiar.  He was about to say something else when he heard movement.  He stopped and his eyes sharpened, scanning the vicinity for anything that could be a threat.  As his eyes hovered over the forest border he spotted something in the shadows of the trees.  He narrowed his eyes to focus in on it and spotted three snow wolves glaring at them, with a desire to kill.  He drew Ascendant's Rosario slowly.  "Snow wolves.  Three of them, over there.  See them?  I doubt they want is walking around like this.  You know the drill, monsters spot players and try to kill them?  Well they look like they were preparing for an ambush so I doubt they're your average dead behind the ears mobs."

Monster info:  3 snow wolves  <>  320 hp each  <>  40 dmg each

@Lessa

Edited by Itzal

Riker sensed the approaching wolves before they showed themselves. A low growl rolled like thunder from the depths of his throat, his hackles rising as he slowed to a halt. Lessa followed suit, going on her guard as quickly as her companion had. Riker was quite different than the snow wolves, larger, and a rich, deep brown color. But the whites of his teeth, and the pure, feral rage within his narrowed eyes, were a perfect reflection. 

The familiar positioned himself between the player and the threat, providing her with the necessary time to equip her armor. It was a quick process, fingers flying as she selected the pieces she had opted out of earlier in the day. When the ribbons of light fell away, Lessa was left outfitted in her breastplate and gauntlets. Gram glowed faintly, pulsing with the energy that flowed through her. With a metallic hiss, she freed the enormous weapon from its sheath. Widening her stance, she held the sword out before her, gauntleted hands clenching the familiar hilt confidently.

"Ready when you are," she informed Itzal, her gaze never wavering from the trio of wolves.

Itzal heard her switch equipment and draw her weapon.  He turned to her and nodded.  He took a few steps forward and the wolves dashed out of their hiding places, surrounding the two players by positioning themselves.  One on a large rock above them, one blocking their path in front and the other blocking from behind.  "When I give the signal, duck and shield yourself upward with your sword."  With that he flourished his sword in front of the wolves.  "Bring it on!"  The monsters looked at each other before growing at him.  Then they all leaped at the three at the same time and Itzal cried "Now!"  He leaped into the air and pushed off of the wolf heading towards him, pushing it into the ground and into the other two wolves.  As he shot into the air his sword began to glow, preparing his sword art.  As soon as he saw her block herself, he unleashed Lightning fall upon the three wolves, the sheer power of the energy coursing through them, head to toe.  They each yelped from the strike and red pixels shot out, signifying the bleeding effect, before he landed again and kicked the three away from them.  With the ambush attempt failed, all they needed to do was take them out.

ID#  69237  BD:  9  CD:  9  MD:  4

Itzal:  640/640  <>  50/64

Lessa:  ?/?  <>  ?/?

Wolf1:  257/320  -  bleeding added:  24 dmg per monster's turn

Wolf2:  257/320  -  bleeding added:  24 dmg per monster's turn

Wolf3:  257/320  -  bleeding added:  24 dmg per monster's turn

@Lessa

Edited by Itzal

Lessa was caught entirely off-guard when the man started barking orders at her. Her blue eyes widened, then narrowed slightly as shifted her gaze to him for the briefest of moments. Later, her common sense hissed, directing her focus back to the wolves. There were more pressing matters, and if she did decide to scold Itzal on his behavior, it would have to wait until another time.

She did as she was told, expecting an AoE of some sort. She was not disappointed, and it was not until the fingers of electricity had died away that she straightened. "Bleed," she murmured, nodding approvingly. Bleed was not her own specialty, but she appreciated when one of her teammates used it. It certainly hastened the process. 

Applying stun would also speed up their victory, and the woman paused just long enough to consider it. The wolves were already bleeding, and this early in the fight, she figured they were not in immediate danger. She would be better off reserving some of her precious energy. But there was also a creeping excitement in the back of her mind. Her hands warmed as power flowed through her, prompting Gram to glow even brighter. When was the last time she had really shown her skills?

Teeth grit, Lessa lunged forward. Her arms tensed, and her face twisted with exertion as she turned her sword, and positioned the pommel above the head of the nearest wolf. She brought it down with a smart crack, and had only just finished before moving to the next. The wolves still reeled from their initial attack, and make easy targets. They lay, unmoving, as she danced back to Itzal.

Spoiler

ID#  69238  BD:  4 (+3 accuracy)  CD:  6  MD:  10

Success! Tempest activated. 96 damage per wolf. Stunned.

Itzal:  640/640  <>  50/64

Lessa:  580/580  <>  39/58

Wolf1:  161/320  -  bleeding added:  24 dmg per monster's turn - stunned

Wolf2:  161/320  -  bleeding added:  24 dmg per monster's turn - stunned

Wolf3:  161/320  -  bleeding added:  24 dmg per monster's turn - stunned

Edited by Lessa

Itzal watched as Lessa charged a sword art and released an AoE attack.  After the three were knocked farther away they....  Remained still.  Shocked he narrowed his focus to their health and spotted the paralysis effect.  An attack that was both an AoE and stun?  He didn't think such a sword art existed.  It seemed a bit overpowered as well.  However he could talk to her about that later.  Right now they needed to finish this.  Shouldn't take too long.  He rushed at the group, his sword art charging once again.  With Lessa out of the way he didn't need to warn her.  He needed to the first time since it would be too quick for her to notice and therefore she might have been hit.  He didn't want to harm his friend, especially when that action might make her think he was a pker.  Just as the wolves started to stir the bleeding effect kicked in, and Itzal leaped into the air, thrusting his sword at them and releasing another blast of energy, drawing another yelp from the creatures.  When he landed, rolling to keep himself balanced and unharmed, the wolves were between him and Lessa.  Itzal had no doubt that she could finish them off with one blow at this point.  However he was ready to finish them off himself if she couldn't.

ID#   69239  BD:  7  CD:  7

Itzal:  640/640  <>  36/64

Lessa:  580/580  <>  39/58

Wolf 1:  74  -  One turn left for bleed

Wolf 2:  74  -  One turn left for bleed

Wolf 3:  74  -  One turn left for bleed

@Lessa

Edited by Itzal

Her stun had incapacitated the wolves, leaving them rooted to the spot. Their chests rose and fell shakily, drawing in shallow breaths as they continued to bleed. They might have been a pitiful sight, but for their twisted snarls. Their gazes now remained on Lessa, dark growls of anger and disgust spilling from them. No, Lessa might have pitied wounded animals once, but that was a long time ago. That was in a different life completely. The blonde grit her teeth, tightened the hold on her claymore, and leaped at the frozen wolves. They might have been unable to fight back, but she would attack as if she had everything to lose. In most cases, she did.

With a soft grunt of exertion, she raked the magenta blade across all three beasts. The motion felt good to her, even natural. How long had it been since she had fought multiple enemies at once? There was some pride in her heart as she watched their health bars drop to a mere crimson sliver. "They're all yours," she added, moving back to Itzal's side.

Spoiler

ID#   69324  BD:  9  CD:  2  MD: 3

Success! Critical hit! Blast activated. 48 damage per wolf

Itzal:  640/640  <>  36/64

Lessa:  580/580  <>  39/58

Wolf 1:  26  -  One turn left for bleed

Wolf 2:  26  -  One turn left for bleed

Wolf 3:  26  -  One turn left for bleed

Edited by Lessa