[PP-F4] Souls of Ice and Flame <Itzal and Lessa>

Foregoing Action

Itzal watched as she delivered another devastating blow to the three wolves.  When she told him to finish them off he nodded and rushed at the monsters, raising his sword.  One more AoE aught to do it he thought.  As he rushed forward however he noticed the wolves look at him with...  A grin.  Most wouldn't recognize it but he'd spent enough time with wolves to know what their grins looked like.  Suddenly the stun wore off and they leaped to their feet and avoided his strike.  As his sword bounced off of a large rock he barely had enough time to turn around and back flip to avoid the monster's gnashing teeth.  The other two struck from the sides and Itzal deflected one by striking it with the flat end of his sword and kicked the other in the face.  He continued to block and deflect their attacks, still on the rock and swung at all of them, forcing them to leap back.  He shrugged to Lessa, apologizing for not finishing them off like he hoped.

ID#  69328  BD:  3+2=5  CD:  8  MD:  7-3=4

Itzal:  640/640  <>  37/64

@Lessa

Edited by Itzal
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The woman had erred. Perhaps it was due to the inherent comforts that came with working with another people. Or maybe, she had simply misjudged the situation. But when she had hacked their health down to a manageable level, Lessa had let down her guard, convinced that Itzal would be able to handle themselves. She had not planned for the beasts to spring into action without warning. She had not planned for him to shift immediately to the defensive. And she had not planned to come to his aid. As such, she made a fool of herself, and put her companion in unnecessary danger. 

Lessa let fly a string of curses as the realization dawned on her. He would not be able to get an attack in, and due to the blunder, neither would she. But it was as much her fault, if not more so; she would have to be more aware if she planned to fight with other people again. She had zigged when she should have zagged, and such a blunder was hardly acceptable when the lives of others were at stake. She was no longer just fighting for herself.

"Sorry," she muttered simply, then offered him a small, tight-lipped smile.

Spoiler

ID#   69398  BD:  2  CD:  5  MD: 5

Attack missed.

Itzal:  640/640  <>  37/64

Lessa:  580/580  <>  37/58

Wolf 1:  26  -  One turn left for bleed

Wolf 2:  26  -  One turn left for bleed

Wolf 3:  26  -  One turn left for bleed

Edited by Lessa

Itzal watched as Lessa muttered sorry and gave him a light smile and he shrugged to show her it didn't matter to him.  Normally he'd be soloing these things anyways.  As he fought the monster he was getting tired of this and decided to use an AoE to finish them all off.  He was about to leap into the air when one of the wolves leaped forward, not caring about damage, and dug it's teeth into his leg.  It didn't hurt him at all of course, but he looked down with a frown and was about to shove it off with his other foot when a monster did the same on that one.  Suddenly he noticed a snow wolf on each leg and the third dug it's claws into his back, hanging off of him.  Itzal blinked and looked at the wolves on him.  To others it might look either terrifying, but he was certain that if he saw himself right now he might think it comical.  Itzal charged his sword and took a risk.  He used lightning fall without shoving the monsters off, therefore feeling the heat of the strike as they fell down dead.  When they fell down he looked for the loot menu but nothing popped up.  Itzal sighed and walked over to Lessa.  "Well, we didn't get anything from it but at least that's out of the way."  He opened his menu and sent the three materials over to her.

ID#  69407  BD:  8  CD:  4  LD:  1  MD:  10

Itzal:  517/640  <>  23/64

Lessa:  580/580  <>  37/58

All wolves deceased

+3 MAT

-3 MAT (given to Lessa)

@Lessa

Edited by Itzal

"Nice work," Lessa congratulated, flashing her partner a smile. "Glad you were able to finish them off after all."

His transfer window suddenly consumed her vision, and her smile waned. "Hey," she started, voice softer now. "You don't have to give me your materials. Seriously. You earned them." In truth, she was a bit disappointed in her performance. She had grown lazy, and made a decision that could have resulted in death, had the mobs been any more threatening. Between the two of them, their shared damage and mitigation was plenty to stave off the danger posed by the wolves. But the same could not be said for a more deadly foe. Clearly, the woman was not ready to venture anywhere near the front lines, and she had a long way to go before she would be competent in a group setting.

She had not earned the materials, and she knew it. So she continued to watch Itzal, the trade display hovering, untouched, in front of her. 

Edited by Lessa

Itzal shrugged at her comment.  "I honest to goodness don't need it in any way.  I haven't received a single customer in my shop, and my searching skills help me find materials every now and then.  I could get twenty materials in no time if I wished.  If you really want me to keep it I'll take it, but it makes no difference to me."  He looked around, seeking any other monsters who might be lurking in the shadows.  His eyes narrowed as he focused in on the forests.  Deep within the shadows, he caught a glimpse of faint red dots.  He stared at them until they ran away.  Clearly they didn't want to fight the players who just decimated their partners, and didn't even flinch upon being struck.  He returned his focus to Lessa and her familiar.  "So now that that's over, what were you thinking about doing?  We could keep walking if you'd like, or we could look for something to do.  Being a scout there haven't been many quests I can take alone, or with certain friends, so I try to take down monsters as I go.  Like we just did actually.  I kind of hope we don't encounter any more though.  I'm not in the mood for it today."

@Lessa

Her gaze remained leveled on him as Itzal spoke. When he had finished explaining himself, Lessa gave a sigh of a defeat, accompanied by a nod of understanding. "Fair enough," she replied, the tip of her pointer finger finding the accept button. "I'll take these. You get the next ones." How soon the "next ones," would come along, or if they would at all, Lessa could not tell for sure. She would have been content hunting for the rest of the afternoon, harvesting the materials that she so desperately needed in her shop. Unfortunately, Itzal had only just expressed that he was not interested in encountering any other mobs, which put a damper on her original plans. 

Once more, she gave a nod of agreement. "We don't have to hunt today," she told him. "I've been out here a while, and I don't mind heading back." As if to demonstrate, she called up her HUD, and quickly shifted her equipped items around. The sound of chimes and ribbons of light returned, but this time, to return her to her more comfortable, less formal apparel. She paused long enough to wipe the last of the perspiration from her forehead on the back of her mittens. Then, offering the dark-haired player a reassuring smile, she added, "if you're heading back to Snowfrost, I'd be happy to walk with you."

Itzal shrugged when she insisted he have the materials from the next winnings.  "Ok, if you insist."  Then she told him that if he was heading back she would walk with him.  He thought for a moment.  The town was far away at this point and the sun was beginning to go down, which meant the temperature would be dropping farther.  It was probably a good idea to head back.  He nodded.  "Yeah that's probably a good idea with the sun setting and all.  I'd love to have your company too."  As he moved to return to the town he looked at Lessa.  "So you said you've been gone a while.  Have you kept in contact with anyone?  Or are there any friends you can check in with?  See how things are going?"  His eyes were scanning the area as they walked, hoping to find some materials that he could possibly sell later on, but alas he found nothing.

ID#  69581  LD:  1  Who said scouting was easy?  :p

@Lessa

Edited by Itzal

At his approval, Lessa moved to Itzal's side, falling in step as the pair moved back toward the town. The sun was beginning its own slow journey, slipping below the snow-peaked mountains. Its descent painted the sky in stunning shades of gold and red, plunging the landscape into almost surreal hues. At the sight, the blonde gave a short hum of contentment. The reasons why she loved the fourth floor were seemingly endless, and the sunsets ranked near the top of the list. Given the beauty of this particular evening, she toyed with the idea of venturing to the Starglades after delivering Itzal to the main town. 

Like her companion, Lessa scanned the surroundings as she walked. Occasionally, materials peaked through the snow, and she was able to nab them as she passed. Some, she could use in her own shop. Others, she might sell to merchants who could find a place for them. Her eyes swept the path ahead as she addressed the boy's question. "I haven't really, no. And it isn't their fault that I cut ties. I just needed a bit of time to sort things out on my end. Figure some things out, I guess." At his mention of friends, her blue eyes warmed. "I do have a couple of friends. A few good people have stood by me, even after everything I've put them through. I'm thankful for that."

Spoiler

ID# 69585 LD 14

Edited by Lessa

Itzal nodded to Lessa after she gave her explanation.  Her reasons were her own and he had no intention on learning them right now.  Not only was he respective to others personal thoughts, but they had just met.  He wanted to get to know her more.  When he heard that she still had friends he smiled.  "Maybe you could add another friend to that list of yours?"  As he asked her she will notice a friend request pop up on her menu.  He smiled to her.  "You don't have to accept it if you don't want to.  I offered my friendship to someone named Opal and she denied.  Everyone has the choice to do what they'd like, I don't mind.  But I refuse not to try."  He looked down for a bit.  When he entered this game he didn't have any friends, let alone know how to make any.  And because others had reached out to him he now had many friends.  He wanted others to have that same chance.  Itzal spotted something and when he closed in on it he smiled.  "Well what do you know."  He picked up the item and placed it into his inventory.  "There's an event quest going on and part of it involves collecting materials.  I just found one my team needs."

ID#  69608  LD:  12+6=18

+1 Royal wood

Edited by Itzal

"Opal, huh?" The name tugged at thin chords of memory, as if she had heard the name somewhere. With that being said, she could not recall the speaker, and certainly could not conjure up an image of the woman herself. "Don't know her," she finally commented with a small shrug. "But I guess it was pretty cold of her to deny you, unless you did something to upset her." With a quick, sideways glance to check the boy's reaction, she added, "though I'm sure that wasn't the case. People are just weird here. The game makes you do some weird stuff."

Like clear your entire friends list before disappearing into the mountains, she thought bitterly, gaze sweeping over her own HUD. Whoops. But, of course, there was no use sharing her thoughts, or her dramatic action, with Itzal. Instead, she merely accepted his friend request. "There," she announced, "we're official now."

She slowed as the boy stooped to pick up a piece of wood. At his explanation, she gave him an encouraging smile. "Nice! Good on you, being able to track down stuff like that. I have the worst luck."

Spoiler

ID# 6969 LD 13.

Edited by Lessa

He smiled when he saw the friend request accepted and nodded to Lessa.  He shrugged to her comment.  "I doubt I did anything wrong, though if I did I'd like to find out and work out the issue.  No she seemed to be...  Hiding something from me.  I think she made a mistake or two that caused her to take the path she took.  I'm pretty sure she's shunned by nearly everyone.  That's one of the reasons I offered my friendship to her.  I refuse to share anything she told me without her direct permission, but if you see her, despite what other's say about her and despite how she might act...  Give her a chance ok?  I think everyone deserves that."  He heard her mention how she had terrible luck and he shook his head.  "Don't worry about it.  I chose to be a scout, so this is kind of all I'm good for, heh.  I'm curious though.  What goals do you have in SAO?  Anything you're shooting for?  Any goals for build, profession, or entertainment?  Or is your main focus on getting out of here like others?"

@Lessa

The blonde listened in silence, trudging along beside her newly acquired friend. "I really don't know her," she stated again, shoulders rising and falling slightly. "I can't speak to whether or not she's shunned, or if so, why. But," she paused to offer him a gentle smile, "I'll give her a chance if the situation ever calls for it." The emotions that painted his face and stained his voice were genuine, and she could not help but be affected by it. Lessa would not go off in search of this Opal, but if their paths were to cross, she would be sure to keep her mind open. That much, she could promise Itzal.

When the boy inquired as to her goals, her gaze returned to the path ahead. "Honestly," she began, "I can't really tell you what motivates me these days. We've been in here so long, and the reason has changed so much." One hand moved to Riker's head, the gesture providing comfort as she allowed herself to sink deeper into the realm of her own thoughts. No doubt, there were many who had it far worse than she, but the trip down memory lane was not one that she cared to take often. 

"At first, I was only motivated by what I left behind. My mom, my dad, my brothers. My house, and my horses, and my friends. I guess I really just missed the old way of life, and that was why I worked so hard to get back to it. But I've sort of forgotten my old life, as much as I hate to say it. Then, I met someone who I wanted to beat the game for. Someone I wanted to save, and who I thought could save me." Her voice softened, only barely audible over the whisper of the wind through the leaves. "But things changed. So I'm looking again."

Spoiler

ID# 69913 LD 16.

Materials found while searching: 1.

Edited by Lessa

As Lessa told Itzal she would keep her mind open for when she encountered Opal Itzal smiled and nodded.  "Thanks Lessa.  I think your one of the few who's willing to listen to others.  That seems to be becoming more and more rare."  He stopped to listen to her talk about her motivation and when he finished he knew something had happened to someone she loved.  Either the player went missing or was killed, either way she had lost someone.  He sighed.  "Yeah...  When I started playing SAO I was a totally different person.  I wanted to get home as soon as possible so that my sister wouldn't worry too much, but I also wanted to kill every red player there was.  Thankfully I had my friends to help change my views.  Now I fight for all the players who are desperate to get out but are powerless to do so.  Even if we love SAO more than the real world, which there are brief times I do, it's not fair to those players who hate or fear this world and only want out, but can't do anything to do that.  That's why I fight, or want to fight in the frontlines.  To help those who can't.  Directly after that is yes, I want to see my family again.  However there's now someone I need to protect in this world." 

ID#  69918  LD:  5+6=11

@Lessa

Edited by Itzal

"Oh," she breathed, caught off-guard by the boy's sudden romantic streak. It had been a while since she had heard another player speak of such things, and it left her with mixed feelings; an awkward sort of detachment mingled with a sappy appreciation for such a heartfelt declaration. "You're very lucky," she heard herself saying. "Not many people can say that they've found their reason for fighting." Then, softer, "or, at least, not many people can still say that."

You're being intolerable, she scolded herself silently. Recognizing it to be the case, she shook her head. "But whatever." A person could practically hear the thud as the girl slammed the door closed on the conversation. Better to move on than to wallow. There would be no more wallowing from her, that much she had promised herself.

"That's a very noble cause," she blazed ahead, an easy smile clinging desperately to her chapped lips. She turned from him, gaze sweeping the landscape. She needed the materials, and she also relished the chance to distract herself with something innocent. "Wanting to fight on the front lines, I mean. I hope that you find your way there, if that really is your goal."

Spoiler

ID# 70167 LD 9

Materials found while searching: 1.

Edited by Lessa

Itzal felt a stab of pain and guilt when he saw and heard her reaction and he let his eyes fall down, his face darkening slightly.  "I-I'm so sorry...  I'll-I'll just shut up about that now..."  He stayed silent for a moment, mentally beating himself up for not keeping up with that critical piece of info.  When she closed that door it was like another dagger being plunged inside him as he knew that the pain wasn't going to vanish easily, especially if he reopened it.  There was a disturbing silence as the two walked, Itzal's heart weighed down more and more, feeling miserable for putting her mind on painful memories.  Then she spoke again, trying to change the topic back onto the front lines and being noble about it.  He shrugged ever so slightly, still feeling horrible about opening a wound, and nodded as well.  "I wouldn't say noble...  But yeah, that's one goal of mine...  Hopefully I'll be there soon, not like my damage will be of any use...  At best I'll probably just stun it as often as I can...  Add status effects if I'm lucky..."

@Lessa

• 2 weeks later...

"Hey," the woman began gently, "don't apologize." She gave a gentle flick of her wrist, as if ridding her mind of the matter. "Seriously. No big deal."

They fell into silence, their footfalls packing the snow with a damp crunch. Riker trotted beside her. Occasionally he moved off to nose through a pile of snow, but he always returned to her side before falling too far behind. Instinctively, she dropped her gloved hand to the familiar's head. His deep, rich, mocha-stained fur was a sharp contrast to the miles of snow that spilled out like a blank canvas. "Any damage you could provide would be appreciated," she informed Itzal matter-of-factly. If he planned to risk his life on the frontlines, it was important that he recognized the gravity of the action. That, and the importance of his role. "Don't sell yourself short, Itzal. The other players will be lucky to have you. Really."

When she insisted that it wasn't a big deal he wasn't sure if she was telling herself that, Itzal or both of them.  After Itzal made his comment she reassured him that he was going to make a very big difference.  He shrugged with a sigh.  "Perhaps.  In any case I'm not ready yet.  I still have far to go after all."  He looked to Lessa with a smile.  "Thank you for that though.  It really means a lot.  So, do you think you'll rejoin the frontlines at any point?"  As he spoke he saw the town coming into view.  He wished he had more to talk about with her but he didn't know that much about her, and he wasn't one to pry into personal affairs.  Not to mention that if she told him something about her he'd feel obligated to share the same.  Equivalent exchange he thought to himself.  It was a system to work with, and while it didn't work all the time, it did help him out, kept things balanced as far as info.

@Lessa

His musings inspired a smile, and though she ducked her head to hide it, her approval was heavy in her tone when she replied, "I'm really glad you recognize that you're not ready. So many players rush into things like this, convinced that the game is some big race. That being on the frontlines right away is some sort of requirement. But really, everyone is better off if those players calm down, train harder, and do better." Though the topic of conversation was heavy, she gave a slight shrug as if to minimize it. "Getting yourself killed doesn't help anyone, you know?"

Keeping with the theme of nonchalance, the blue-eyed swordswoman did not pause to consider his question. "I don't know, really," she admitted. "I may, sometime. But I'm in no hurry." A wry smile twisted her lips as her words came full circle. "Again, I'm definitely not racing here. For a while, I felt I had to. I've learned better though. I'm slowing down a bit."

The lights of the nearest town twinkled against the falling darkness as they crested a hill, and their final destination moved into view. "So," she began suddenly, "are you bunking up on this floor? Or going somewhere else for the night?"

OOC- Sorry for the wait

Itzal smiled and nodded to Lessa.  "Yeah, don't worry.  I'm cautious about these things.  And yes, I can't help players if I'm dead.  I have every intention to avoid that at all costs.  However...  If Kasier goes into the front lines to fight then I will join her.  I don't want to die, but I refuse to let her either."  When she talked about how she wasn't sure if she'd be joining or not, and if she did it would be a while he nodded.  "Take your time.  While the leader of the KoB says we need to hurry the floor clearing along, I say it doesn't help if one of us dies along the way.  I really don't like that guild, though some of the members such as Macrodon are pretty good."  When Lessa asked if Itzal was staying in the town he shook his head.  "Nope.  I've got a shop on the third floor.  It's small but cozy.  Do you have a profession or no?"

@Lessa

"KoB?" Lessa echoed, her brow furrowing in thought. "That's Knights of the Blood, right?" It had been a while since she had spared any thought for the front line guilds, and longer still since she had thought of KoB. She had never really worked with them, or interacted too heavily with anyone involved. "I haven't heard anything one way or another," she mused aloud. "I guess I don't know if they are good guys or not. But hey, if they are on the front lines, I have to give them props. They're out there fighting the good fight."

The lights of the city were much larger now, as the pair had nearly reached their final destination. "I do, yeah," she replied with a small nod. "I'm a blacksmith. I have a little shop on the second floor. I don't normally sleep there though. I'm partial to a little inn here in town. I like the fourth floor a lot. Then, turning back to the dark-haired man, she added, "what about you? What do you do for work?"