PP/NK - F16 Just Another Day (Itzal)

"Heh, you want me to go first? I would think you'd want to learn more about me first. In any case, sure then."

Taking a sip of his second drink Calrex gave a calming breath to let the cold air escape his throat, refreshing him just enough, but not so far he would be chilled from drinking the smoothie. "A fighting technique you say? I am curious about that. I've actually dabbled in various martial arts in the real world, back in the past, but none of that experience transferred into the game. Sword Arts is basically the closest thing to techniques within this game."

Looking over he scanned around again to keep track of Roc, who had apparently decided to fly up onto one of the branches over the stand, perching himself so that he could glance around at the people walking around, "A quest might be a good way to go about it. That way we can get something beneficial for our avatars. We could always use the experience. Other than that..."

Turning his attention back over to Itzal once again he continued, "Why don't you tell me some of what's happened to you in the game. Everyone in this game has had different experiences and things happen to them that may have changed the way they look at things. Some for the better, others not so much."

Itzal listened to Calrex ask him about the technique and he chuckled for a moment.  "Heh heh, ah well.  It's nothing like a sword art or anything.  Summarized in a few short words, it's designed for nonstop attacks.  The way it works is when I swing or stab the blade, I'm preparing my other hand for a swing/stab at the same time.  Once the action is complete, I let go and grab the hilt immediately with my other hand, and strike and repeat.  Thus I can strike much faster and more often than I would before.  It was designed for two objectives:  The first being to force through the opponent's defenses and the second to prevent them from striking back.  The downfall to this technique is that even if I become the strongest man alive, it will still sap at my stamina faster than other techniques.  That's why I need a partner, someone I can fight along side with, so that we can perfect timing and allow me to pause my technique and keep my stamina up.  If you want I could show you the technique later on, or during the quest if you'd like.  The technique is all that helps me fight since I'm not a dps."  Calrex agreed with Itzal on the quest idea and how that might work, as well as benefit them.  He noted that Calrex mentioned Avatars and figured he was one of the player who reminded themselves at all moments where they were.  Then he heard the second question and chuckled nervously.  "Eh heh.  Well that's a lot to summarize...  Well when I entered this game I was a bit hardheaded.  Due to unresolved anger if I had met a player killer I would have tried to hunt them down for their crimes.  However that was before I had friends.  As I hung out with them more it became more beneficial to me.  The turning point I suppose was when a friend recommended the quest calming the soul.  That's where things got really weird for me.  See, in the real world I had a lot of anger but I buried it inside me.  When I came into the game I couldn't really keep it from myself.  For some reason the Cardinal system took the huge amount of anger and added an AI to it.  His name was Ulises.  After I beat him in Calming the Soul we worked together.  After Kasier and I got together however he started breaking down.  The cardinal system couldn't keep him alive for too long.  He was the one who created the technique in the beginning.  When he perfected it he gave it to me, naming it Soul Barrage, and vanished...  In conclusion it's been a very strange time for me.  My turn to ask a question right?  Hmm....  Why did you marry Teayre, out of curiosity?"

@Calrex

Calrex listened attentively as Itzal spoke both about his technique and a bit of how he got to where he was today. The concept of switching hands was certainly not usual, especially in the real world. In some movies the idea is used in knife fights when combatants get stuck in locks, only to drop the weapon into a waiting lower hand to continue their attack. With a sword since it had extra sections of handle to grasp, changing grips and hands was common to gain a tactical advantage on an opponent.

With a smirk at the young man's question he gave a nod, "Somehow I had a feeling that question was going to come sooner or later, heh. I guess I can't really just give an answer without giving a bit of background. Honestly, I'm surprised at times how quickly things progressed. I first met Teayre actually here in the game, when I first began to think about starting adventuring. She and Oikawa were the two people I actually trained with at the beginning, but after that day of training I had begun to already feel a connection to her, and we actually became a couple that night, spending the day together afterwards. It probably was rushed initially, but as we spent more time together I began to learn more and more about her, and nothing served to change my feelings about her. We were already a couple for a few months in the game before I proposed, and another few months after that we actually completed the Saying Vows quest. So, I guess if I had to answer why I decided to marry her, it was for a variety of things: Honest feelings for her, wanting to stay by her side, and much more."

"Man...that sounded kind of gushy didn't it..."

Putting a hand behind his head he gave a laugh, "Sorry, that must have been a bit cheesy wasn't it."

Calrex began to explain how he and Teayre got together in the first place and as he listened he began to smile.  When he said the final line Itzal knew exactly what he felt, because he felt the same with Kasier.  When he mentioned cheesy Itzal chuckled.  "Hey man I wouldn't know.  I was locked in my bedroom most of my life so you probably know way more about this stuff than I do.  And besides, that pretty much describes my feelings towards Kasier at the moment as well."  Speaking of which he thought, this would be a great place to just hang out with her.  Of course I'll need to scout out the area and find out where monsters aren't so we can avoid things like that but still, this place was beautiful.  He looked back to his friend.  "I suppose I need to ask a second question then huh?  After I do it'll be your turn ok?  Uh, let's see."  What should I ask Calrex next?  "Ok, what is your favorite thing to do, both in game and outside."  He was curious to know if it had anything to do with actual combat although he doubted it.  Video games was the typical answer but Calrex might give him something different.  A friend of his told him that his favorite thing to do was dancing after all.  Itzal knew it could be anything.

@Calrex

• 2 months later...

"Favorite thing to do, both in and out of game? Heh, that's a good question..."

Crossing his arms for a moment to think Calrex tried to recall all of the fond memories of what he had experienced in the game, as well as thinking farther back, before being trapped in the game. With the amount of time they had been trapped in SAO, that seemed so long ago. He could still recall the large buildings that surrounded where he had lived, the winding streets that lead to various places within the city.

"It's probably one and the same, exploration and learning new things. Of course trust me, a home to come back to is certainly something of comfort, but I do find an enjoyment out of going out of my comfort zone to expand my mindset. After, there isn't really much merit that I find in ignorance."

With a nod the bluenette responded with his question, "I guess I'll go with my question then. Going from what I can tell you've built your character's stats in a particular way, or as some people say you've followed a particular build. What is your reasoning for doing so?"

Exploration.  Now there Itzal could understand.  Ever since he entered this game he had done nothing but explore, train and participate in events, quests and combat.  It certainly made him want to explore the real world when he could.  Then Calrex mentioned that it was his turn to ask a question and Itzal nodded.  When he heard the question he chuckled and rubbed his thumbs together for a moment.  "Ooh, yeah.  That one.  Yep.  Lot's of people want to know why I chose a scout instead of a dps, or tank.  Well to be honest I wasn't going to be this in the beginning.  I was a totally different person then.  I wanted to become a rogue, someone who would eliminate murderers at all costs.  However something happened and it changed me.  However since I loved, and used, the rogue route, I sticked with the scout build.  And I very much enjoy it too.  Sure it's difficult but that's the point right?  You don't choose something because it's easy.  You choose what you enjoy.  And if it's challenging well all the better.  Challenging makes it fun and worth it in the end.  Ok, question, question...  Are you upset in any way about the speed the floor progression is going?"

@Calrex

"Hm...the speed progression. Actually, that one has always been a bit of a difficult one to answer. Sure, I would like for us to get closer to getting out of here, but at the same time I want to minimize the chances of anyone potentially dying during a floor raid, let alone a raid wipe. Although I'm not really sure at times that my opinion is even close to the majority thought. After all, we've been here for a pretty long time heh."

The words he said were true. There probably was a time, likely when he was first starting out, that he wishes they were past the fiftieth floor by the time he got to a safe level to participate in the floor raids. However, by the time he had reached his current level less than ten floors had been cleared, and to add to that lives were actually lost during those fights, even when the overall player strength was far higher than needed. It was for that reason that he at times concluded it was human negligence that resulted in the unnecessary deaths. But now he was a little more relaxed in terms of their progression pace, as they seemed to have started thinking about minimizing loss, rather than maximizing progression.

"I guess I might as well throw a similar question. Overall, do you have any thoughts about the state of affairs within the community?"

• 2 months later...

Itzal listened to Calrex' question and thought for a moment.  What did he think of the state of affairs?  "Well, I mean.  We're all in the same boat.  We all need to get out of this game, whether we want to or not.  Right now everythings in a state of chaos.  Players don't have a genuine leader to help guide them.  Heathcliff is a terrible leader, and honestly will make everything worse.  Most players in the front lines seem anxious to get drops, not help advance towards higher floors at all.  There are of course players who intend to do that, but most of them seem more anxious to boost their stats and bragging points."  Itzal sighed.  "Other than the state of the frontlines everything seems rather fine.  Players are doing their best to adjust to this life and many seem to be doing well.  Others however....  Well others seem to be breaking here and there.  I can only hope that people stay strong, and stay true to who they are."

OOC:  Sorry about the wait @Calrex x-x

OOC: No worries all good XD

Calrex listened as Itzal spoke, feeling the want to bring a smirk to his face, "If only people of a similar mindset were in the majority..."

The bluenette could harmonize with the young man's perspective, and it was something he had felt even before he was anywhere close to frontline levels and beyond. As he had progressed, he had witness the rise of people whose primary goal was to strengthen themselves before anyone else. However, he could also empathize and reason that point of view: Protect yourself before you try to protect others. During their heyday, the Azure Brigade was certainly to some level the embodiment of that. They were scrutinized for their desire to be the best and only welcome the best, but at the same time their outlook provided results. Many of the floors they spearheaded were concluded swiftly with no losses on the participants part. Of course in terms of the system, that meant they had received each of the demonic item drops, however Calrex couldn't be sure with everything that happened that it was correlation, causation, or somewhat both.

He gave a small sigh to himself before returning his thoughts to center, returning his sight to Itzal with a calm smile, "A good answer, although I think now it's your turn to ask me another question."

@Itzal

Itzal sat there for a moment as the strongest player in Aincrad told him his answer was a good one.  He smiled and nodded when he mentioned that it was his turn to ask a question.  Itzal thought for a moment as to what he could ask this player.  So far they had discussed his wife, things each other enjoyed, as well as political issues such as the state of things.  So where should Itzal move the conversation towards then?  Then a thought came to his mind.  He had heard of a rumor that Calrex had a unique skill.  Should he ask about that?  Or leave the information be?  Unfortunately his natural curiosity refused to back down.  He just had to know the details, know how it worked.  "I heard that you have a unique skill and I admit I've been very curious as to how it works.  I love to study things whether they are physical or not.  Would you mind in sharing some of the details?"  Itzal was speaking from pure curiosity.  He in no way wanted any sort of advantage.  He simply wanted to learn all he could...  Plus he wanted to make his own video game once he got out, so might as well learn about the unique skills to get some ideas.

@Calrex