[PP-F1] The Wind in her Wings (Event Quest)

With information from the newest Cardinal created quest giver, Tobias headed down to the first floor. It would be the easiest place to search for materials, given how prominent the respawn rate for creatures was. He had abysmal luck with finding items, but it wouldn't be too difficult for him to collect the animal fat.

In theory.

He absently thumbed through his menu and selected Birdie from his friends list, then sent her a message.

To: Birdie

Hey, Ava! I was wondering if you heard about the new quest that just got announced. I made my way up to Floor 18 and spoke with the NPC, and the first portion of it looks like a lot of gathering. It's a good source of experience, and I thought of you immediately. 

Would you want to do it with me?

He sent it immediately, and promptly headed out toward the fields. With Repeat Offender in hand, the mercenary readied himself for combat. It would be easy enough to take on whatever creatures came his way.

"I hope she decides to join me," he pondered aloud. "This quest sounds like a lot of fun."

To Arc:

You had me at 'new quest', sign me up captain!

Have you started? Finishing an order, I can be with you in 5? x

Ava pushed send on the messenger, curiously checking Arc's location on her friends list. 'Current status, first floor? That means he's probably out in the fields, or..' her trail of thought stalled as she wondered whether he'd swing by to visit, though she didn't recall telling him the shop's whereabouts.

With a gentle swipe of her finger, Ava dismissed the hovering menu and went about finishing the item. Her fingers wrapped around the handle of a small brush and she dipped the bristles into a small pot of wax, making sure to not douse the tool. Steadily, her hand hovered over a small silver ring with mahogany embedded in its band. She inhaled, lowering the brush's waxed bristles to the wood, carefully coating the band in a layer of polish.

Ava exhaled, placing the brush onto the work surface with a pleased sigh. "Alright, now to let that sit for an hour- hm?" She opened the messenger app, having received another notification.

Edited by Birdie

As Tobias approached the first of his many foes to come, the beast let out an indignant snort. Short plumes of stream rolled out from its snout as red eyes fixated on the mercenary. "Alright," he murmured, "let's see how you like... this."

It charged without warning. The spear spun instinctively, tucked behind his back for a half second before he lashed out viciously toward the piggish beast. 

His skill with the lengthy weapon had already skyrocketed beyond what he had with his former weapon. The creature let out an agonized squeal as he skewered it clean through,  then ripped the weapon backward. 

It was a short lived victory, because the creature staggered forward gracelessly as he dumped it off the head of his weapon. As it did so, it raked him with both tusks. "Sloppy," he muttered as his health fell, though only a tiny fraction.

Thankfully, his mitigation made the damage- brutal for new players- almost nothing. "I'll just have to move quicker from now on."

He brought the weapon round and let the head rest close to the ground. This way, he had more angles to react from against a shorter foe.

"I wonder what sort of order she's working," he murmured absently as he circled with the unhappy swine.

Arc: 354/355 HP 33/34 E

Boar: 170/178 HP (H: 1)

ID# 69395 results:

Battle: 5 (+2) =7 [8 damage]

Craft: 12

Loot: 20

MOB: 8 [1 damage (10-13 MIT)]

Edited by Arc

Ava zipped between a few rooms in her shop, packing away the polishing apparatus as she prepared some items to aid Tobias out in the fields. The last thing to go was the ring, having thrown it into the shop's inventory as an active project.

The bluenette gave a sigh of relief as she stopped just ahead of the shop's exit, looking through her inventory one last time to ensure she had everything she needed: Retaliation clung to her hip, the Amulet of Precision fell comfortably to her chest and Ring of Recovery fit snug around the girl's leftmost index finger. She adorned the Azure Shawl around her neck, wearing it as a scarf to ward away any slight chill.

To Arc:

Got an hour to kill so on my way now. Wanna party up so I find you?

She fumbled with the keyboard before hitting the send button and sent him a party invite to go with it, 'Hope he's not too busy at the moment.' She made way for the fields, heading along the quickest route possible. 

Edited by Birdie

Both combatants hurtled toward one another at top speed. Tobias' spearhead gleamed with a vicious red light as he triggered his Sword Skill, prompting the system to overcorrect his angles and rip his weapon straight through the intended target. The blade tore through the boar and brought it airborne.

For a moment, no sound at all came from the startled creature. Any pain it felt may have been numbed by shock as Tobias hefted it from the dirt with the sheer force of his momentum alone. 

All of that ended when he followed through with a full thrust, arcing the weapon down and toward the ground. The resulting impact caused the ground to shudder, and the boar let out a high pitched whine.

Arc spun his weapon as he ripped it free, and he brought the spear to rest flat against his arm as he stood and brought up his notification windows. A quick swipe of his finger and tap accepted Ava's party invite, and her information appeared near the top of his HUD.

Tobias tapped out a response at high speed.

To: Birdie

Absolutely! Can't wait to see you.

After he tapped send, Tobias danced out of the way of the mob's furious attempt at a counterattack. "Nice try," he muttered. The creatures were smart, he had to give them that. Any perceived opening was something they could exploit. The algorithms were relentless that way.

Arc: 354/355 HP 29/34 E

Boar: 138/178 HP (H:2)

ID# 69410 results:

Battle: 4 (+2) [Sword Art activated- (8×2×2)= 32 damage]

Craft: 11

Loot: 15

MOB: 5

Edited by Arc

'Ding!' A notification popped up in the corner of her HUD, and a smile took its placed on her lips as she saw Tobias' IGN on the opposite side of the display. Ava caught something a little off about his HP bar and had to squint to see it properly, but it seemed as if a tiny slither of his health was missing. 'Yeah~ he's fighting.' Without a doubt in her mind, she altered her course slightly and made way for the fields outside the city, trying to reach the merc as fast as possible.

Coming to the edge of Starting City, she noticed a spear-wielding player in the distance, engaged in combat with a lowly boar. It took her a couple of minutes to approach, and upon seeing the boar's health, an eyebrow rose mildly. 'Thank god there's no low level players around..'

"What'cha doin'?" she called out with a smile, waving towards him as she stood a few tens of metres away from the fight. Her eyes fell to his weapon; she remembered seeing it once before, during their date on the 11th floor. "Need a hand?"

Ava pulled her weapon from its sheathe and charged for the boar, bursting into a sprint as her weapon slashed through the boar's back. Before the dust could even settle, she stopped metres behind the boar, her sword pointed straight ahead. A grunt was forced through gritted teeth as she felt a pain in her upper thigh, the boar's tusks making short work of the girl's digital skin. The pain subsided quickly and her stats were high enough to mitigate the damage, though she still felt a bout of embarrassment. "Aha~" she brought a hand to her neck, an pale blush befalling her cheeks.

(H:2) Arc: 354/355 HP 29/34 E

(H:2) Birdie: 279/280 HP 23/28 E

Boar: 90/178 HP

Spoiler

ID# 69425

BD: 9 [<<Quadruple Pain (6 EN) activated>> 7+1=8, 8x6=48 damage]

CD: 5

LD: 10

MD: 10 [11-12=1 damage]

Edited by Birdie

"Oh, you know," he replied casually, rebuffing a fervent blow with the haft of his weapon. The boar hobbled backward awkwardly. "Taking in the sights, casual stroll through the fields- the usual." Tobias jabbed the back end of the weapon into the boar to provoke it further, albeit with the added bonus of creating distance.

Ava asked if he needed help, but gave it before he could answer. She'd learned quickly. This was the same sort of thing he did for her back when she was just starting out, and yet, they were much more even now. Her rapier ripped fiercely into the creature, and Tobias smirked.

"Look at you go," he praised. "Little miss brutality, ain'tcha?" He liked it; unlike before, when Ava was worried about combat, she displayed an air of confidence. Sure, these were first floor boars, but she had none of her former flighty features. From the Yetis to the Field Boss Avalanche, and into this moment, Tobias had watched her transform into a stronger willed fighter.

"Can't have you showing me up too bad," he said with a laugh. The spear seemed to move on its own as the words came, and his body moved in fluid time with each spinning stroke. The boar tried to follow the sharp edge, but failed. It let out a whine. 

The spearman obliged with a vicious thrust of his weapon, sent from behind the back. It gored into the creature's flesh, but not before the pig got a chance to close the distance. "Bleh," Arc muttered as a sliver of his health was shaved away. "Screwed the timing up on that one. Ah, well."

The spear ripped backward violently and Tobias watched as the boar recoiled. "I've got a ways to go, I wager, before I can call myself any kind of Master."

With a shrug, he glanced back to the blue haired girl. Tobias smiled. "It's great to see you," he told her.

(H:4) Arc: 353/355 HP 29/34 E

Boar: 81/177 HP

ID# 69449 results:

Battle: 9 [9 damage]

Craft: 8

Loot: 14

MOB: 9

Edited by Arc

"They call me El Diabla in the west~" she smirked in light of the 'miss brutality' comment, standing tall with her sword at the ready. Combat with smaller combatants almost felt natural to the girl, and with Tobias around, she felt confident that nothing bad could come of fighting a boar.

Ava admired the flow of Tobias' attacks, his spear flowing through the air like water down a stream before it struck the boar, piercing the mob's thick skin. "Rome wasn't built in a day," she responded briefly, her eyes meeting his as a smile of her own appeared. "Glad to see you're doing well- how was the 18th floor?" Her arms crossed together as she walked closer to the man, keeping a distance of a good few metres just in case the boar would come too close.

For the first time ever, she felt comfortable having a casual conversation in the midst of battle. Of course their opponent was less than an imposing threat, but it still struck her a little off. Tightening the grip she held on her weapon, the girl's eyes carefully watched the angry pig.

(H:4) Arc: 353/355 HP 29/34 E

(H:2) Birdie: 279/280 HP 24/28 E

Boar: 81/177 HP

@Arc

Spoiler

ID# 69460

BD: 2+2

CD: 7 [+2 Energy]

LD: 16+1

MB: 5

Edited by Birdie

He batted away another series of attempts on his life with relative ease as she spoke. "Clearly those people are not native speakers of the language," he teased, sticking out his tongue. "But I only know enough to ask for a cerveza here and there, so I'm not qualified to judge." He brought the weapon downward from on high this time, utterly missing as the boar hopped deftly out of the way. Tobias grimaced.

"It's a sight, I'll tell you," he said. "The lake where the quest itself takes place is absolutely monolithic. I can't say I'm surprised to hear about a sea monster." He tilted his head and shot a quick thumbs up in her direction. "You'll see for yourself soon enough. I'm hoping for more high seas adventure before we're through, though."

He fumbled a step as his feet took him backward, and it left him open to another strike. The spearman planted his spear on the ground to steady himself, and he managed to get the weapon in the way before the next attack came.

The impact still did enough to hack out another small chunk of HP. He snorted his own indignation. "How about you?" he asked. "Are you into nautical nonsense?"

(H:4) Arc: 352/355 HP 27/34 E

(H:2) Birdie: 279/280 HP 24/28 E

Boar: 81/177 HP

ID# 69464 results:

Battle: 3

Craft: 9

Loot: 4

Edited by Arc

"I'm looking forward to seeing it!" She caught his thumbs up with a calm smile and glanced to the boar as it reared for another attack, the system taking advantage of Tobias' clumsy movement. Ava loosed a silent gasp at the small misstep, cringing ever-so-slightly as the boar drained another slither of his health.

"Ow.." she hummed, the bluenette's gaze falling on Tobias as he addressed her. "Hm.. my parents took me on boat trips when I was little, not that that's great preparation for fighting the Kraken or anything." A gentle sigh escaped her lips, and the girl's eyes realigned with her partner's. "Why do you ask? Are you a fan of sailing ships?" She recalled Tobias living near a beach in the real world, though whether that translated into a likeness for the sea was yet to be seen or heard.

Ava's gaze fell to the boar, and the handle of her rapier spun between her fingers. 'Just a little longer..' she said to herself in thought, waiting for her energy bar to regenerate a little.

(H:4) Arc: 352/355 HP 27/34 E

(H:2) Birdie: 279/280 HP 23/28 E

Boar: 81/177 HP

Spoiler

ID# 69469
BD: 1 [Miss]

@Arc

Edited by Birdie

He thrust once more for the boar, almost certain his attack would strike. Their distance was closed by a burst of effort by the brutish boar, and he knew that once quick attack would be more than enough. His eyes glowed a fierce red color as the system recognized his <<Concentration>> skill, and the spear seemed to fly in slow motion. The enemy only saw it once it had adjusted just enough to hit the creature in the shoulder.

A wound blossomed in the boar's side as it gored Tobias directly in the chest. Two large holes spewed data out into the world around them, albeit lessened dramatically by the armor he had donned. The creatures on this floor lacked the strength to pierce through to the better part of his health. He was thankful that he'd chosen this as the floor for this quest and not something much higher.

Arc staggered backward and reeled from the blow, but his opponent was worse for the wear. It fell forward on two knees as its legs buckled and its thoughts shifted to righting itself. One of its legs had been grievously afflicted by the spearman's strike. "Easy," he called out to Ava as he slowly rose from where he'd tumbled. "This one is all yours!"

(H:5) Arc: 351/355 HP 27/34 E

Boar: 73/177 HP

ID# 69543 results:

Battle: 3 (+2) = 5 (+1) = 6

Craft: 1

Loot: 10

@Birdie

Edited by Arc

"Coming right up!" She leant forwards and charged up a sword art, her blade glowing as light blue neon light swallowed it whole. The enemy was still, kicking dirt behind it's muddy hooves to rear for another attack on Tobias. She planned out each step of her own attack; spring forwards, aim for it's stomach, knock it off-balance- 'Easy.'

She sprung into action with a dash and ran for the mob, though a small vine sticking out from the ground had other plans for the bluenette. Ava's foot caught in the loop of the stray vine and she fell in a 90 degree arc, her face hitting the floor with a smack. "Ooow.." She let go of her weapon and the sword's glow ceased, and as she barely managed to lift her head from the floor, she noticed the boar charging blindly towards Tobias, a painful reminder of her mistake.

'Tobias..'

She'd fallen flat on her face in front of him.

Ava's head dropped to the floor, the shame too much to bear. Redness welled around her cheeks from the embarrassment. She groaned, "Why me.." 

(H:5) Arc: 351/355 HP 27/34 E

(H:2) Birdie: 279/280 HP 24/28 E

Boar: 73/177 HP

Spoiler

ID# 69592
BD: 1 [Haha... um]
CD: 10 [+2 E]

@Arc

Edited by Birdie

"Ava!"

Tobias acted on complete instinct, abandoning the attack he'd intended to pierce the boar with in favor of throwing himself headlong toward the fallen girl.While there was no clear and present danger to her person, the spearman knew that a single wrong move in Aincrad could spell doom to any player. Who knew what sort of enemies might be lurking nearby, just waiting to capitalize? At least, that's what his idiosyncratic mind told him when something bad befell the girl who he obviously cared about.

He slid across the ground and skidded to a halt next to her. Both his arms moved to cradle her shoulders and he quickly attempted to help her to her feet. There I go being reckless again. She's gonna scold me for sure. "Are you alright?" he asked, not bothering to listen to the voice in his head that warned him against blatant acts of foolish heroism.

The boar, however, rushed past in a similarly reckless attempt on his life. It fumbled to a hopeless degree, not even managing to nick the player as it passed by. There was a snort of defiant anger, and it twisted about for another pass. By that time, Tobias was already back on his feet. "Looks like we both got a little distracted, huh?" he asked, a bright smile on his face.

"Let's get it with the next one," Tobias encouraged.

ID#69612

BD: 1
CD: 5
LD: 8
Mob: 2

Edited by Arc

Something heavy fell to the ground, skidding along the grass beside her. With her arms pushed against the floor, she flicked her eyes towards Tobias and felt a faint, yet pained, smile paint across her face. “Y-yeah, I am now.” Pain emanated from a graze on her knee as she was helped up- the digital scar disappearing within seconds- and Ava winced at the pain, taking a few steps to retrieve her weapon.

Her smile turned warmer, “We’re as bad as each other.” She gave an affirming nod and faced their enemy, standing by Tobias as she glanced side-long at him. “I’ll go first- hit the piggy when he’s on me!” The girl didn’t wait to hear him object, and with a kick of her feet, she dashed for her opponent for what she hoped would be the final time.

The end of her blade struck the boar's nuzzle, slicing cleanly through the length of its body as she swerved out of the way of a counter attack. She stopped and turned on the balls of her feet. "Tobias!" Standing in a ready position, she watched the boar turn its back to the man- its aggro would soon shift back to him.

Spoiler

ID# 69637
BD: 4+2=6 [7+6=42 damage]
CD: 12 [+2 EN]

(H:5) Arc: 351/355 HP 27/34 E

(H:3) Birdie: 279/280 HP 21/28 E

Boar: 31/177 HP

Edited by Birdie

With her command given, Tobias did not hesitate. They functioned almost like a real party in those few seconds, and a brief memory of his fond times in the Black Brotherhood overtook him. The movements were all the same, practiced and quick, but they were synchronized with those of the rapier wielding woman to extreme effect. Ava held down the attention of their foe and bought time for Tobias to take its flank.

The boar barely had enough time to react.

As Repeat Offender burned a brilliant blue color, the weapon tore into flesh and skewered sinew. Bone broke and the creature slumped as it was lifted up, then brought back down. With all of the same efficiency of his first Sword Art, the spearman finished their foe. Data streamed skyward and his weapon spun expertly backward, brought to his side with a quick jerk of his wrist.

"I think we're getting better at this," he commented offhand. It felt like their teamwork had increased, and the effectiveness of their strategy evolved. It was enough to make him believe that they might be able to take on something stronger.

He glanced in her direction and offered her a nod. "See what we got?" he asked her. "One step closer to completing the quest!" Tobias held out the strangely shaped item for the girl to inspect, a slight smile on his face. "I wonder what the reward at the end is gonna be..."

Arc: 351/355 HP 25/34 E
Birdie: 279/280 HP 21/28 E

Boar: Dead

<<Gained 1 Animal Fat!>>

ID# 69652 results:

Battle: 8

Craft: 11

Loot: 11

MOB: 2

Edited by Arc

"Just a little," she smiled. Their combined efforts had been enough to take down the least threatening monster in the game, and although it didn't sound like much on paper, the execution of their final attack was almost something to marvel at. Taking hold of her rapier's scabbard with one hand, she slid the blade into its sheath and approached Tobias with a spring in her step, stopping just short of him.

She beamed to Tobias, "Woohoo!" It was less than 1/30th of the materials they needed to build the ship, but it was way better than nothing. Ava loosed a shrug, "As long as we get to keep our ship afterwards, It would be rubbish if they took it away from us.." She sighed a little, the game could be cruel sometimes. "It's my first event so I'll be happy with a level or two and Col, though some fancy equipment wouldn't go amiss. I could see you rocking a pirate's hat~" She teased him with a grin, and looked over her shoulder as a distant noise approached.

"Oh my god!" Ava squeaked as she saw four piglets racing over, each helplessly charging as fast as they could towards the two players. "Oh my god.." Ava turned back to Tobias, a half-guilty look tainting her face. ".. we killed Mum." Holding her rapier by its hilt, she got into position as the small herd came closer and put barely any effort into an attack, piercing a piglet which drained its life with ease. A notification popped up to inform her she'd gained a material as well as <<1 Normal Animal Fat>>. The other piglets bowled into Ava's legs knocking her off balance, forcing her to dash backwards. "These little ones are so much easier! Think we should try and find some more of them?"

Spoiler

ID# 69697
BD: 8 [8 damage]
CD: 10 [+2 EN]
LD: 20
MB: 6 [10-12=1 damage x3]

Arc: 351/355 HP 25/34 E
Birdie: 276/280 HP 23/28 E

Piglet 1: 0/4 <<Gained 1 Material and 1 Normal Animal fat>>
Piglet 2-4: 4/4

Loot:
Rare Animal fat: 1
Normal Animal fat: 1
Materials: 2
Col: 885

(Note: The other material and Col are both from the big boar. ^^)

Edited by Birdie

"Sorry," Tobias replied with a wry smirk. "All I heard was 'honey, we're havin' bacon tonight."

He threw himself forward, his feet treating the ground like a springboard as he hurled himself into the air. For a moment, the world seemed slow when Arc hurtled toward the group with his spear at full length, hands closest to the rear end of the weapon. It glistened a golden color as he readied the sword skill, and when he landed in the middle of all three beasts, the Spearman grunted as he unleashed his attack.

The weapon raked across all three beasts, first left to right and then back as he swept across a full one hundred and eighty degree arc. "Oops," he muttered as the attack proved too powerful, and all the creatures burst into a constant stream of crimson data. None of them had yielded loot, however. Their entire reason for fighting out here was to gather.

He hung his head.

"I got a little ahead of myself," he muttered as he spared a glance in Ava's direction. "So... I think what we might want to do is get some help. Just two of us might not be able to gather enough materials before dark, and we don't want to have to head back to town short. If you don't have any objections, I know someone who might be interested in a party?"

Tobias let his finger hover over @Lessa on his friends list as he prepared to type out a message. The moment @Birdie gave the okay, the swordswoman would be informed and perhaps even on the way to their location.

"S...sorry for wasting all of them in one go," he muttered.

Arc: 351/355 HP 21/34 E

Birdie: 279/280 HP 21/28 E

Boar(s): Dead, et al.

(No loot because Tobes is a jerk.)

ID# 69720 results:

Battle: 8

Craft: 7

Loot: 7

MOB: 3

Edited by Arc

Ava blinked at the scene, the broken bodies of each piglet dispersing into thin air within a matter of seconds. All that remained was a sunken feeling in the bluenette's heart as the final trace of data drifted away with the wind. "Aw.."

Turning to Tobias, she wiped her sorrows away with a slight huff before catching drift of his words. Initially, she felt inadequate knowing they lacked the skills to gather enough materials on their own, though, his suggestion of having someone else join the party piqued brightened her mood. "Go ahead! It'll make things easier on us. Who're you inviting?" 

Ava's shoulders rolled as she shrugged. "It's fine- if we wanna find more, there's plenty out there." She dragged her fingers across the open air, opening the menu as she began browsing through a small list of friends. 'No doubt Itzal and Beatbox have a party... ugh, I haven't spoken to that person in a while... hm?' She paused upon highlighting a new name. 'Right, he's the other scout apprentice.. he seemed alright, I wonder if he has a group already?' "Hey, do you mind if someone from the Ascendants joins in?"

Edited by Birdie

He thought showing off his AoE skill would have been a prompt for more enthusiasm, but the realization struck him that the mobs he'd used for a demonstration were too weak to consider the display impressive. Tobias clicked his tongue. Great job, now you look like real idiot. She liked the piglets.

"The Blacksmith who forged my old sword," he replied as the invite went off. Her prompt had given immediate validation to his choice, so he wasted no time. "Her name is Lessa, and she's pretty laid back. Helped me learn more about the game when I was still pretty low level."

He placed a hand behind his head. "Dunno if she'll want to party with someone my level, since she's pretty far ahead by now, but it's worth a shot." Tobias glanced toward Ava with a bright smile. "One of your guild buddies, huh? Sure, I don't mind at all. The more, the merrier."

He glanced at his weapon. "Erm... hopefully they're better at finding items than I am."

Edited by Arc

"Sweet!" She highlighted the name and tapped on 'New message', and began to think about what she should type in. "Don't worry, he's a scout like me- I'm not sure how much of a fighter he is, but having two of our friends here makes this doubly easier." 

'Hmm..'

To: Aerath

Message: Hey! It's Birdie from the Celestial Ascendants. I know that we haven't met yet - Itzal's yet to introduce us I guess - but did you have a group for that new Rovian Wars event? I'd love to invite you to my team if not!

There's 2 of us at the moment and another player has been invited to. If you're interested, we're just a little ways out from the Southern gates of the city, Look for a girl with blue hair and a guy holding a giant spear. See you soon (maybe)!

Signed, Birdie~

"Done!" She hit 'Send' and watched the message disappear from her screen, sent outgoing towards a player known as Aerath.

She turned to Tobias now that they'd both invited others to the party, and figured she'd start looking around for some loot about this time. "Lessa seems like a great person, if she taught you the basics way back. I can't wait to meet her!"

As if she were a moth drawn to flame, Ava spotted a peculiar object sitting a few dozens metres out. Resting under the shade of a tree, a bundle of wood met drew her attention immediately, and her feet carried her across to where they lay. "Hm.. huh?" She picked them up and watched as they disappeared into her inventory, prompting her with a notification to say she'd collected some 'Noble Wood'.

"Hey, I found one of those wood bundle things!" She turned on the spot. "How many of those do we need, exactly?"

<<Gained 1 Material and 1 Noble Wood>>

ID# 69888
LD: 19

Party Loot:

Spoiler

Noble Wood: 1
Rare Animal fat: 1

Normal Animal fat: 1
Materials: 3
Col: 885
(To be distributed accordingly once the topic is complete).

Edited by Birdie