(PP-NK-F7) Midnight Greetings (Evander)

OOc Could not think of any names and did not want to steal fro Itzal

Jonathan sat on the seventh floor. He had his White and Gold <Jacket of the Fallen>> which apparently the gold trim was illuminated in the night. He was sitting on a flat mountain top right outside of the town. He was looking up at the stars and thinking of the real world. What he would do after he was out of this hell hole. Behind him the town shone brightly, from all of the green glowing crystals. Jonathan himself had a few, he took a few from houses and actually got a few himself for his shop. He had three of them in a triangle around him, alerting others of his loation but he did not fret. Somebody coming up would probably cause quite the ruckus. Night was when Jonathan found himself most deep in thought. And in peace, but with a twinge of every bad emotion. Sorrow, afraid, hatred, rage, sadness, and the fright of death. Night is when everything came to life. There is no one here at night, everyone continues, whereas I dwell what happened during the day. Jonathan held his eyes clothes, sitting in a upright position, meditating. It was peaceful here. When he was meditating, he could put himself anywhere, out of the game, at the front lines, wherever he wished to be. His blond spiked hair has down, as usual and his green eyes remained concealed from their lids. 

@Evander

Evander stretched as he stepped out of the teleport plaza. A notice popped up before him, informing him that he had just entered the town of Nimbus. A pretty nice name. So, this was the seventh floor, huh. Evander looked up at the sky. Shoot, it was getting pretty late. The moon was high up in the night sky, its silver beams shining down onto the city, bathing the city in some sort of ethereal light. It made it seem as if he were simply walking in a dream. To be honest, it really did feel like a dream. He didn't think he'd be up here, on this floor, at this time. Evander opened up his menu, and looked at his maps. Well, he had the basic layouts of the main city from the third floor to here, actually recorded, so it couldn't be a dream. Evander closed the menu. He had had enough of waffling about the lower floors. If he wanted to progress, he needed to challenge himself, and that meant going to the higher floors. He wasn't getting any good training practically one-shotting the monsters on the first few floors.

Evander began walking. There were few people out here this late at night. That was good. That just meant fewer interruptions. The streets seemed to be lit up by some sort of green crystal. Interesting. He reached the walls of the city. Climbing up the stairs, he looked over the whole city. Evander reached the top, and gasped. It was just beautiful. Every single floor had its own scenery, but Evander was pretty sure this was his favorite of them so far. The full moon hung up high in the night sky, over the beautiful backdrop of snow-capped mountain peaks. The sky was full of stars. Evander smiled. Maybe life in SAO wasn't so bad after all. Or, more likely, maybe he was just somewhat delirious after a day's worth of exploring. Whatever the case, he was going to take this chance to enjoy himself. Evander leaned on the parapets, feeling the cool wind brush against him, the edge of his cloak ruffling in the wind. This was nice.

Hey, wait, what was that? He squinted. A nearby tree had three crystal things from the town floating near it, and he thought he saw a glint of gold from there. Another player? Evander scratched his head. Well, you know what, opportunities like this only came once in a lifetime. As loath as he was to start up conversation with a random stranger in the middle of the night, he was feeling a bit light headed, and well, what was the harm, right? He rushed down the stairs and out of the city. He stopped before the tree. There was a guy, somewhat nearby, meditating. Shoot, never mind, then, he didn't want to interrupt him. Hmm. Evander laid his hand on the tree. Well, he hadn't climbed trees in a while. Why not do it now? At this point, he was sure it was just the delirium talking, but oh well. Evander jumped up onto a low hanging branch, and pulled himself up. He sat there, looking at the moon. When the guy was done meditating, he could talk with him then.

Jonathan held quiet, his eyes were closed, as he took in a breath. he was completely aware of his surroundings, but felt nothing around him. It was only his mind. He dwelled over his thoughts. He seen his father, he seemed grieved. Jonathan shook the thought out of his head. Father would never grieve over me. He only worries about himself. Angered, Jonathan had to refocus calming himself. After a few minutes he heard the shaking of a tree. Another few minutes past and he heard and owl. Alright I give up... Thanks Mister Owl! Jonathan turned to the tree behind him. It was ten meters way or so. Instead of an owl staring back, it was a mere player. Immediately, Jonathan's mind began to scan the player's equipment, detecting his threat level. This player is Green, appears to be rather low leveled, but still of considerable strength. Perhaps level fifteen or so? He had quite the stare, which Jonathan was soon to realize it was at the moon. It is nice isn't it? Kind of reminds of what it looks like in real life. I live out in the country, the night scenery is amazing. Jonathan looked at the player. He seemed to be enjoying it. What is a player of lower level doing down here? He looks only ready for floor three! Perhaps he is taking a Risk, or just seeing what it is like up here. Doesn't matter, Player is in my reach, my priority to keep him safe. 

Another cool breeze rustled through the branches of the tree. The whole scene seemed like it was dusted by silver. This really wasn't helping him keep a grip on reality. Hmm? Whoa, whoa, what, the player was talking to him. Something about an owl? Evander looked down from the tree and saw the player that had been meditating before, looking up at him. Ah, so this player had lived out in the countryside before SAO. That sounded quite nice. He was sure the player had seen many scenes like this before, that weren't as common in the suburbs. "Yeah, the view really is nice... Here, let me hop on down." Evander jumped down from the tree, bending his knees as he landed to absorb the impact. He wobbled a bit, then held out his hand and steadied himself on the trunk of the tree. Alright, he was good now. Evander held out his hand for a handshake. "Hey there. My name's Evander. What's yours?" Evander blinked a couple of times. Huh. He didn't really know what to talk about. Why was he even out here again? Something about this being a once in a lifetime opportunity. Man, his mind wasn't thinking straight. Evander focused, and straightened out his thoughts. "So, uh, I noticed you were meditating over here. How come? Also, how come you had some of those crystal things around you?"

The boy jumped down from his seat on the tree, allowing Jonathan to actually to see more details. He looked around Jonathan's age and perhaps a little taller. The man spoke up quickly, preventing the silence. Hey there. My name's Evander. What's yours?" Jonathan thought for a second, but gave the information anyway. Jonathan.... Jonathan, Tank Paladin of the Celestial Ascendants. Nice to meet you Evander. The boy seemed to think for a few seconds before asking another question. These crystals? You did not see them in town? Well, they are Crystals that light up the towns on this floor at night, and are commonly found in the mines. But, not for making weapons, unless you pretty much want a glass blade. They have a low durability. Jonathan stood quiet after there. The boy did not speak, probably indicating it was his turn for a question. What brings you here? Not many players like it because the unusual weather and mountains. Also a rocky terrain. Exploring perhaps?Jonathan smiled at the man. He seemed like a good guy. Perhaps inquisitive, but a good guy. 

Hmm, so Jonathan was his name. And, he was the "Tank Paladin of the Celestial Ascendants". The name Celestial Ascendants sounded quite familiar, but he couldn't seem to recall where he had heard it before. Well, regardless, Celestial Ascendants was probably the name of a guild or something, so Tank Paladin had to be some rank in the guild, most likely quite a high ranking position. Interesting. Ah, so the player had mined these crystals himself from the mines. He had thought they were solely NPC constructs to light up the town, and unobtainable. Evander scratched his head. He guessed he should actually learn more about them before making any assumptions. A couple moments of silence passed, before Jonathan asked him some questions. Huh, he didn't really know exactly why he was up here either. Evander focused and tried to straighten out his mind. Wait, wait, he was up here exploring. That's right. "I actually really like the landscape here. It's pretty unique, out of the floors I've seen so far. And, I don't know why, but I seem to have a natural inclination towards mountains. It's actually quite beautiful. But, yeah, I just came here to explore, maybe scout out a bit of the seventh floor. How come you're on this floor? Are you on some sort of business, or are you just here to relax?"

Jonathan listened as the man talked about what he was doing here on the floor. He enjoyed the view, especially the mountians. He says he is scouting the floor. Is he a scout build? Jonathan smiled looking at the man. He also asked a question. Business? Nah man. I just come here because it is peaceful and I can get some things off my mind. Jonathan looked over the man. He was a bit sad the players was not a tank Just sight seeing eh? What is your character build? Scout, Damage dealer? Jonathan listened for the answer. He was wearing light armor, but possibly he could change. You know the frontlines are looking for tanks more than anything right now. You are still young enough in your build to change. Anyway, Tanks are also a bit OP. They can solo better than anyone. Jonathan paused looking at the man. Speaking of soloing, have you ever though about joining a guild? We are accepting, just one message away to being start leveling up quite quick." Jonathan shrugged. He probably came on a bit fast, but the man would probably not mind. It was also probably unexpected. 

Ah, so Jonathan was just out here to relax, and meditate. This floor certainly provided the appropriate scenery to do so. It was very relaxing. Huh, his character build? He never really thought about it. He supposed he just chose skills he thought were interesting. "If I had to classify myself right now, I'd probably be a scout, though, I do kind of want to be a damage dealer. I don't know, I haven't really thought about builds all that much. I just choose stuff that seems rather interesting." Evander scratched his head. Huh, it was interesting he had never really thought about builds, considering he was practically in a game of life and death right now. Maybe he needed to start. Huh, so Jonathan was espousing becoming a tank. He never really considered being a tank either. Apparently they were quite prized up on the frontlines. Well, he couldn't say he wasn't tempted, but eh, he didn't really see himself being a tank. "Eh, I dunno, I'll consider being a tank, but I probably won't become one. I guess I always liked being more quick on my feet than just tanking blows." There was a brief pause. Hmm, guilds? Wow, again, this was another topic he never really thought much about. He had just been alone in SAO for so long that he never really considered companionship. And, whoa, the guy was offering to let him in his guild! "Huh, funny thing, I never really thought about guilds either. So, the, uh, Celestial Ascendants, right? I don't want to seem pushy or anything, but could I meet some more people in your guild before making a decision? I've just been soloing for some time now, so I'm pretty used to being alone. I don't really know how I would be a team player in a guild, or really, what I would do in a guild."

Jonathan listened to Evander. It turns out he wanted to be a scout, or a damage dealer, and was not comfortable with tanking. Jonathan sighed and looked down. Why does everyone want to be a damn scout? Itzal said there was only a rare few, but everyone wants this build. I thought Tanks would be ubiquitous. There are probably only a select few. Everyone else is unheard of, like I am. The Frontliners know the rest of the guild, not me. They have no knowing of a tank in the guild. Jonathan grimaced and said, "Well that is okay. As for the guild I could definitely have you meet a few. You want to be a scout? That is most popular and there already two others people learning from our Scout Paladin. It is quite common, but you would have to pick a build for sure, because the Paladin's would train you according to that. Jonathan sat quietly, trying to get Evander and he out of the guild talk. You do a lot of soling huh? Surprisingly, it is not a hard transition. I was the same way. Jonathan sat, waiting for a reply. He had pushed guild's much to fast and he had no common ground really. They needed to gain some. Jonathan seemed to be the best recruiter anyway so might as well put it to use. 

Morgenstern sighed, and looked pretty disappointed. He supposed that Morgenstern had really wanted him to be a tank or something. Maybe there were a shortage of them in his guild? Maybe he wanted some apprentices? Perhaps he was just looking for more tanks to help out on the frontlines. That was probably it. It would be interesting to meet up some of the people in his guild. Evander hadn't really had many encounters with guilds. Were guilds more like families, or were they more like professional partnerships? He guessed he would find out. "Oh, I don't particularly want to be a scout. I would much rather become a damage dealer, though the most optimal build that I really want is some sort of balanced one, that can tank and deal damage. If I had to choose between tank and damage dealer, though, I would be a damage dealer. And, yeah, I mainly solo, except for the rare occasion where I meet some random person on the streets and decide to talk to them." Evander scratched his neck. A cool breeze blew through. "So, uh, you soloed a lot too, huh? How was that? Did you just mainly do quests, or just fought monsters all the time, or what?"

Jonathan kept his lips pursed as Evander spoke. He particularly did not want to be a scout, but more of a damage dealer. I understand and respect that. My trouble as a tank is extended battles with mobs as I am fighting alone. That means it is quite hard to get materials for my shop. So I it is hard to make money because I need more materials all the time. Jonathan looked off and then back to Evander and asked him about his soloing. Well, I don't solo that much anymore, but I spent lots of time grinding by killing boars. This was before I started my interest in tanking you see. Originally, I had no idea how to spend my points. Now I have a much more defined idea. Jonathan ended his answer there. He looked to Evander who seemed to be absorbing his words like a sponge. Anyway, what are you putting your SP in right now. I am guessing you are moving in to your weapon rank at the moment? Jonathan looked at the man. It was good to have a nice conversation with someone that you don't know, just to see how other players are faring. 

Ah, that was an interesting tidbit of information- tanks, though they could basically survive anything, were not the best at killing enemies particularly quickly. Now that he thought about it, that made a whole lot of sense. Everything had drawbacks. If one build was the best at everything, then everyone would be that class. Evander leaned back against the tree. It was a nice night out. Ah, so when Jonathan started out, he just fought mobs too. Apparently he didn't really know what he wanted to be either, when he first started out. That was somewhat comforting, as he hadn't really defined what he wanted to be in particular. All he knew was that he wanted to be able to kill things quickly, and he didn't really want to be able to be killed easily either. "Yeah, right now I'm putting SP in my weapon rank, OHSS. I also put a bit into Light Armor, but that's just so I don't die as easily." Evander scratched his head. "So, uh, what kind of skills do you have? What kind of skills are important to being a tank? Oh, and, is there any sort of viability at all to a sort of jack-of-all-trades build, where you can tank and deal damage adequately?" 

Jonathan stood with the man. He seemed quite knowledgeable, but also appeared to have a fair share with questions. When Jonathan was that level though, he had no idea what to do, where to start, or what to strive for. Evander was a good man. He was one of the few players that seemed to want to get better, than risk dying and sitting alone in a dark inn, hoping for other players to do all of the work. He was going to be one of the few that the other players relied on. Then a fresh batch of questions came. Skills that a tank needs? The three main ones I am working on at the moment, is Block, Heavy Armor, and Battle Healing. If you can get mitigation up enough to only get about fifty damage taken, then you can heal it all in a heartbeat. Jonathan smiled. He had not mentioned his amazing plan, in case this man wanted to be a tank. Jonathan had thought of a great way to become really strong as a tank. A viabllity of a jack of all trades? A good thing is you can solo very easy, and get good loot from it. The propblem is that it takes a while before you can actually do anything productive, because you are weak in all fields instead of good in one. But after a while, you will quickly be able to level, and if you get all of those skills high enough, you in high demand from frontliners. 

Hmm, interesting. That was pretty cool. Evander nodded. A tank build actually seemed pretty darn invincible. If he was recalling correctly, Block was the shield skill. That was a whole lot of mitigation right there, not counting enhancements on the armor and shield itself. Battle Healing sounded like it was extremely useful as well. Being a tank seemed pretty darn practical, especially for survival. Perhaps he would rethink his inhibitions towards becoming a tank. But a jack of all trades sounded really appealing. It was tough to start one, due to being not that great in a lot of stuff, but after a while, life became a whole lot easier. And, the best part was that it was perfect for solo players like himself. Evander put his hand on his chin. Perhaps he would shoot for that one. It was possible, it would just take a whole lot of work. The only question would be how he would start it. "Hmm, I'll rethink becoming a tank, it sounds pretty cool now that I know what being a tank is like. But now, heh, I'm pretty interested in the jack-of-all-trades deal, too. Do you know anyone who went down that road? What kind of skills would they need?"

Jonathan looked off at the moon. The bright white circle hung over the sky like a circular curtain. It was beautiful in the night sky, especially since it was so big since they were high up. Jonathan took a breath, of the fresh, cold crisp air before his eyes adverted to the man that stood next to him. A faint smile found itself on hi face when he said he would rethink tanks. He really did like the idea of a jack of all trades though. Well, it really is a good role after you get to high enough level. He met the man's eyes as he asked another question. No. I have actually never met anyone who has successfully gone down that road. In fact, you and another man, who is pretty low leveled, are the only two I have heard from wanting to be one. Jonathan looked down at the ground and made a few steps away, the dirt and rocks crunching underneath his feet. He looked out and over the town. It is possible, in fact very possible. It is just a lot of work, and will not be the easiest to get there. I encourage you to go whatever role you want to. 

Wow, Jonathan had never met anyone who had been able to go down that path successfully? That was almost kind of discouraging- and Jonathan likely knew a whole lot of people, considering he probably held quite a prominent position in his guild. But, it was possible. That was all he needed to know. It was possible, and someone else out there was just like him, too. For some reason, he felt really excited at the prospect of facing this looming task. "Alright. Thanks, man. I think I have a more concrete idea of what I want to do, now. I think I'm going to shoot for that jack-of-all-trades build. If I don't make it, well, then, I don't make it. At least I tried, you know?" Evander rolled his shoulders. His breath came up in puffs in the cold autumn air. The clouds, few and far between, moved sluggishly across the sky. "So, I realized I never really asked, but how come you love being a tank so much? What made you love tanks? Did some personal experience happen, or were you inspired by another person, or do you just like the idea of taking on damage for others?"

Jonathan looked at the man, who had decided for the all trades build. Jonathan smiled. As he had said, he supported any player whatever build they had made. He was not sure if the Jack of all trades was good for PVP, but it was good for soloing. Here then, perhaps what I am guessing is.... So, What I am guessing to happen for you to be able to work all of the builds, you will need  a weapon for damage, a armor piece for defense, an accessory for combat craft for healing. Then finally get a familiar with Loot finding abilities. The weapon and damage will allow you to deal some damage like a DPS. For defense, you need to decide between shield and armor. Heavy Armor will be best, as you could increase your health, and damage with its mods. If you do not like Heavy armor, then get a shield. Accessory for Combat Craft enhancement, that way you have better chances for healing, and then your familiar will be great at looking for stuff. Jonathan smiled, looking at the man. Now, you should get your Sword skill up to three or four, then move to tanking and at least get it to rank three, perferably Max it out, so you can get more health. hen I believe you should get healing up to at least rank three. That will give you time to get a familiar and max that out for loot that way while you are going back and starting to finish things, you will get more loot. 

• 1 month later...

Evander took note of Jonathan's words as he spoke. All of this stuff would definitely come in handy later down the line. He composed a sort of checklist in his mind. Alright, a high-damaging weapon, a good piece of armor, or a shield, and some sort of accessory for healing. Well, he could probably get all of those pretty easily at a shop or something. Alright, simple enough. The next words took Evander somewhat by surprise. A loot-finding familiar? Huh. He supposed he had seen people with familiars around them like pets before, but he hadn't given it much thought. He thought it had just been for appearance or something. But, as it turned out, familiars could actually do something! That was very interesting to note. All in all, that was very informative. Jonathan had even given him a schedule, on which to develop his skills. "Wow, man, thanks a lot, seriously. I didn't expect you to give me all of this useful information, considering how late it is at night, and how we pretty much just met." How could he even repay him for this? This information would probably help him survive, and even thrive on the higher floors of Aincrad. It gave him goals to shoot for. "Hey, man, want to go get a drink or something? It's pretty late, but NPC stores should be open. We can keep on talking there, if you'd like."

Jonathan sat staring at the man. As he spoke, it appeared to him that the man had been taking in this new information a bit like a sponge. That made Jonathan a bit happier now that he knew someone was using his wisdom to better themselves. The man thanked him. Jonathan really was not sure about that, so he just put it off as nothing. "Hey man, don't mention it. Int his game, I feel as if my job is to help as many players as possible." The blond turned to look back at the moon before listening to the next question. Jonathan sighed and swung himself to a standing position. "A drink would be best. I'll go with you. Anywhere you would like to go in particular? I am open for options." Jonathan gave a slight smile to the man. He seemed to be a nice enough guy. He seemed to want to better himself, and Jonathan had a feeling he would actually consider his advice. Even though, what Jonathan told him was having all builds at once instead of being able to change

Evander put the back of his hand to his mouth as he yawned. The moon shone down on them, high in the sky, the stars twinkling in the heavens. He was reminded of how late it was. A drink really would be good to clear his mind. Evander smiled. Jonathan really was a nice guy. It was incredibly noble to devote one's time to helping others. He guessed that this, at least in part, was one of the reasons Jonathan was a tank- a tank's role was perhaps the most altruistic one, dedicated towards protecting others. Interesting. Though, those thoughts could wait for another time. Oh yeah, drinks. Huh. What was he in the mood for? "Uh, it's a bit chilly, up here in the mountains, so I guess something nice and warm would be good right now. I think I saw a cafe while I was walking through town. You wanna go there? I'm okay with other stuff, as well. I can pay for the drinks, since I was the one to suggest it in the first place." Evander stretched a bit, in preparation for the walk, and waited for Jonathan's reply.