[SP-F1] Merchant <<Earning a Living>>

Row walked through the town looking for this mysterious NPC that gives the merchant profession quest. It was the one job the resonated with her as she has always been a marketer at heart. In fact, This was the very thing she did in every game she has played. While it was not technically a class in most games, she loved that she could get benefits for it being a class in SAO. Since she was not a power gamer, she knew there would be other players who where way father then she was so there was no guarantee she would super successful but at least she could have fun with it. "YOSH" she threw her fist in the air and continue running through the town looking for her mysterious quest giver. After twenty minutes she found herself at a fountain with no success. There was not even a clue.

lvl 6

»Name: Dragon Scales
Enchantment:+2 LD

Search and Detect rank 1

Edited by Row

All the other professions had their dedicated locations so why could this one not? She let out a sigh and looked into the sky. Maybe this was one of those quest that randomly appear after some time. Then again, that would be a stupid idea.

An old woman carrying a cart walked to the fountain and chuckled, "Hey their darning. You seem bored. Would you like to learn the art of trade as a merchant?" 

Row laughed seeing how the quest giver just found her. Maybe the key was to sit at the fountain? Either way, she nodded to the old woman, which signaled a window showing the quest's details to appear. Click the yes button, the woman laughed. "Very well, could you help me with my cart. These old bones are not what they use to be. You are filled with youth and vigor of an adventure after all."

Row's smiled dropped at the woman's request. Sure she was much younger than her and wore heavy armor but she was still a young girl. Then again, that should of been more than enough reason to help the woman. Letting out a sigh, she walked over to the cart. Grabbing the two rails, she attempted to pull it. The chart was extremely heavy and yet this old woman was able to move it so effortlessly. Row's face went read as she took a deep breath and pulled again. 

"Come on darling, we have a quota to make." The woman's sweet smile turned into a heartless frown, one that cared little about anything but the mission. In short, this sweet old woman was but a shell to a shrew old which of pure evil. 

Row cried as she tugged on the harder on the cart. Even though it was heavy, she would not give up on the quest.

Edited by Row

She did not know if it was through sheer effort or dumb luck but the cart was finally moving. The cart was not moving very fast but it was nice to see that she was not completely incapable of pulling such a thing. The old woman chuckled as if she did not believe Row could not move the thing. If all her mental energy was not focus on keeping the cart in motion, she would be making faces at the woman. Slowly the woman was putting distance between while taunting her for moving like elderly person. After a few more verbal attacks, Row gave out a battle cry.

"Look here witch. Just because your some piece of code doesn't mean you can trash talk me." The woman did not respond, hiding her response behind a single chuckle. "You know what fine. You want me to die to complete this quest. Then just know I will die a merchant"

Edited by Row

"There is no need girl, we are already here." Said the old woman with a smirk on her face. Row dropped the rails of the cart and fell to the ground exhausted. "You can't stop now, there is still work to do. Time is money."

"And rest is happiness," protested Row who was crawling to a wall.

The woman shook her head while removing the cloth from the top of her cart. "Your next object will require less physical strength and more charisma so do try to put a smile on your face."

Row moaned as she picked herself up. Seeing all the bottles, books, metal ore, and other crap gave her a good hint on what she had to do next. 

"That is the spirit kid, you will be finished when you manage to sell 10 items from our stand." said the woman as she put up an open sign.

Edited by Row
  • 1 month later...

Row could not help but sigh. All of this stuff was just random junk. If she could sell it to players, then being a merchant would be the easiest gig ever. Her only hope was going to be the NPCs but who how that would work. Half the time, one could not even tell an NPC from a player just by look alone. They all looked and felt so real. Some could even hold a good conversation. After a few simple test one could eventually find out what was an NPC and what was not. One good example would be to say something that is not commonly known. The NPC would give a improper answer or play dumb. Another way would be to do naughty things but then you risk really pissing off a player. Ideally you want to put the NPC into a situation that it had not plan for and hope for that not human answer. Suddenly a girl walked up to her

"Hello Ms. I see you are selling ore. I am a blacksmith and I am in need of some iron. Do you have any."

Row nearly face palm. How could she not have thought of this before.

• 2 weeks later...

Row smile almost cynically. She was sure she saw some rocks inside of her cart. "One moment ma'am. I think I might have just what you are looking for." Row dived into her cart and filtered through the junk. She had pieces of weapons, vials of mysterious liquids, string, a wheel, a chia pet? Row stopped and just stared for a moment. Then she shook her head, setting aside the pottery that grows. She would come back to that after she finished dealing with the customer. Finally after a few more minutes of rummaging through her junk, she came across the ore. What kind of ore was it? She did not know. However, at least it was ore. "Ma'am an ore for you. Normally it would be 200 col but for you i will make a special offer." The woman eyes sparkled at the idea of making a deal. "I will reduce the price to 1 col if you by it from me 10 times." The woman was confused but that kind of discount could not be ignored. She did as promise and with that, Row was finished. 

"Witch, I finished the quest. Now praise me and give me the status of merchant."

The old woman came rushing back in surprise. How could she have sold 10 piece of this pile of junk so fast? "Where is your receipt?" Row smiled while handing her the receipt she and the npc drafted up. "It says here you sold 10 pieces of ore. There was only one piece of ore in that bunch. Even worst, you sold it for 1 col. What kind of merchant are you." Row could not help but giggle. "Well witch, I had the girl give me back the ore and buy it from me again 10 times total. You never said I couldn't do that. In addition, you never set a pure goal of how much col I have to make. My only requirement was to just sell 10 items." The old woman crinkled the receipt and turned around. "Very well, your next mission is not going to be so easy." Row chuckled knowing she could outsmart the NPC. For now on, she planned to just outsmart the npc. "Bring it on. As a treasure hunter, I find great joy in finding the loop holes in your own quest."

Edited by Row

The woman ordered Row to follow her but never specified why. Row played along because she had no choice. The woman was clearly mad so Row doubted she would play nicely from here on. When they left the gates, Row became even more curious on what the woman wanted her to do. She did have her gear in her inventory, but she doubted the woman wanted her to kill mobs. The same could be said for location a dungeon because lets face it, Row wasn't exactly strong enough for that. Also she did not have to picking skill so she could not open chest. After a few minutes of traveling, the monsters stopped appearing. They entered a forest which seemed to be hidden off from the rest of the field. Finally she stopped and turned around. "Alright my mischievous student, you last objective is to gather materials so you can practice the last art of the merchant. While normally I would tell you how many you need, after your last stunt I think you can just figure it out yourself. If you lack the sufficient amount, then you will have to go back and hunt for more. Any questions, no, well get to hunting."

• 2 weeks later...

With that, the old woman left the area. Row kept up her front with her usual bright smile. After seeing that the woman was not coming back she let out a sigh and finally looked around. Apparently some of these things could be used for the merchant’s last skill. Since her good friend Vargus was a merchant, she was well aware what skill the woman was inferring too. What she did not know was what kind of material would best for appraising. Since this was a quest area, there was a chance that she could find something that normally would not appear in the area. However, that was just something she picked up from other games and those quests were really just filler base. Well, now was as good of time as any to start searching. The first place she check was a bush. Bushes were big and hid all sorts of stuff right?

• 3 weeks later...