[SP-F6] What are Demons? <<Calming the Mind>>

Domarus had heard about four quests that granted an extra skill.  One of them he had already completed which had granted him a skill that sped up his healing rate outside of combat greatly, as well as make him immune to environmental effects.  The other three he heard about were quests entitled calming the soul, the gemini, and breaking the unbreakable.  He was told that calming the soul was a difficult quest but not in the way one might think.  As he made his way through the amazon to find this waterfall he wondered what the quest would have in store for him.  Whatever it was however, he was ready to destroy anything in his path.  Keres walked beside him, eager to see him accomplish yet another challenge.  Porvós rested on her arm this time, asleep and comfortable.  Rhozarth glided among the trees, not caring if one or two caught fire as he flew past.  Soon his strong dragon let out a low rumble, letting Domarus know that the waterfall was nearby.  Soon after his familiar notified him, he heard the sound of rushing water.

Soon enough the waterfall came into view and Rhozarth landed on a large rock away from the spritzing water flying from the falls.  Porvós also curled up in an area away from the water.  Keres sat down on one of the stones beside Domarus and let out a sigh.

"This is actually really nice.  I could get used to this."  Domarus understood what she meant.  He felt calm, peaceful, like he had achieved contentment.  Except he hadn't.  It was just an illusion.

"Getting used to this feeling would dull your sharpened senses.  Stay focused on our goals."  Keres nodded with her eyes closed, feeling the cool water move against her.  Domarus took his seat and closed his eyes.  He held them shut for a while, trying to discern what he would see once he opened them.  He had heard many tales and many stories but many of them seemed false.  He could only know if he himself took the quest and thus here he was.  Power, control, glory.  These were things he craved.  These were things he would have.  He wouldn't be overthrown by an angry people like so many leaders had been.  Hitler was a master of the tongue but was cruel to his people and ended up committing suicide.  Alexander was a great conquerer but had pushed too hard.  And then many Roman leaders displeased the people and were killed because of it.  He would be the one to break this cycle:  He would conquer, and they would love him.  For he knew how to wear a proper mask, and keep it on.  And then he opened his eyes.

The area he awoke in was interesting to Domarus.  He was standing on an obsidian floor in a circular room.  The walls were black as the void and the pillars appeared to be some form of stone he'd never seen before, dark purple.  Burnt coals scattered the floor, filling the air with a scorching heat.  In the center of the room was a figure, around the same height as Domarus but much thinner than him.  There were also four doors behind it.  Domarus made his way over, taking notice that Rhozarth and Keres were not with him.  When he reached the figure he noticed that it was outlined with a red glow, this being the only way he could really see the creature in this blackened area.  The black figure pointed to the first of the four doors.  Domarus looked at them.  The first door reminded him of a very strong metal door with no openings and completely sealed shut, like a very dangerous prison of sorts.  The second one appeared more demonic, with horned skulls, images of screaming people, the center skull being largest with what seemed like blood coming from it's jaw.  The third had two hooded figures on the sides holding scythes.  The final one was completely empty, void of anything on the door's surface.

Never told the exact statistics of the quest, he went ahead and opened the first door and stepped through.  What he had entered as an interesting sight to behold if nothing else.  He was in the city, the streets were quiet yet filled with people.  Everyone who walked around seemed to mindlessly follow orders, never thinking for themselves.  Domarus heard a deep and dark voice.  

"This is what you wanted isn't it?  Complete control?  You knew this was what you wanted, you've told yourself that.  Just accept it and make this a reality."  Domarus gave a rather loud and vicious laugh as he turned around to see the door gone and a man in complete black trench coat, long black hair that reminded Domarus of a mane, and shades.

"Really?  This is the best Cardinal can throw at me?  Pathetic.  This will not be my reality.  I will have them willingly choose to bend their knees to me.  They will be mine in a way no other has had followers.  And that is something you couldn't duplicate is it?"  The black figure sighed and pulled a huge great sword that no normal human could carry.

"I suppose I'm gonna have to beat you into submission then.  Let's get this over with, I've got more to tempt."

Domarus:  420/420  -  42/42

Demon of Dominance:  105/105  -  3 MIT  -  22 dmg

Edited by Domarus

The figure charged with the massive great sword and slammed it into Domarus, who turned so that the weapon struck against his shoulder.  The blade got stuck on the three massive spikes and he watched his health drop by minimum, causing him to laugh.  That was it?  Some demon he thought.  He pushed against the figure and swung his massive two handed ax around, the blade glowing black of the sword art along with the pulsing dark red glow of the blade itself.  He struck it clean through the figure who grunted with surprise and backflipped, glancing at his own health then chuckling.  As he did he noticed that the people around seemed to break out of a trance and were beginning to realize what they were doing.

"Heh heh heh.  It doesn't seem like you need much convincing to be honest.  Not to mention you pack a good punch."  Domarus ignored the comment and moved right back to strike the man.

ID#  71773  BD:  8  CD:  3  MD:  8

Domarus:  419/420  -  39/46  -Crescent Avalanche used

Demon of Dominance:  24/105  -10x7-3=67+14 thorns:  81 dmg total

Edited by Domarus

The demon leaped into the air at a ridiculous height and speed, landing beside Domarus and swinging it's blade at him from behind.  Domarus blocked it by spinning his weapon in a circle around him and bouncing the demon's sword back at him, spinning around to face him and they continued to strike and parry, the Demon using his agility to keep himself away from Domarus.  The demon laughed.

"Well well, you do fight aggressively!  You'd do well in putting me down!  Yes, slay me with all your hatred!"  Domarus struck at the demon which managed to shut him up.  This demon was rather cheesy he thought to himself.  The two struck faster and faster, Domarus using both ends of his ax's blades as well as the spike between the blades to attack.  However he wasn't getting past the demon's defenses.  No matter he thought.  He'd bide his time.  Slowly he would gain dominance and defeat this demon of his.  Or rather, the quest.  He doubted this was an actual demon inside him, and even if it was he didn't care.  He already knew what he had planned.  And he would not let some quest get in his way.

ID#  71799  BD:  4  CD:  7  MD:  3

Domarus:  420/420  -  38/42  -missed

Demon of Dominance:  24/105

Edited by Domarus

The demon swung it's ax swiftly, attempting to break through Domarus' defenses and strike him down.  Domarus simply turned the huge handle of his ax ever so slightly to block each and every attack.  The demon had a cool and even smile and leaped through the air, landing behind Domarus and striking again.  Domarus dodged the attack, his feet unmoving, and swung his ax at the demon who dodged it just in the nick of time.  The demon backflipped thrice and stood straight.

"Think about it Harken.  Nobody in your way.  Nobody telling you no.  The world would be yours to control and command as you see fit!  You could reshape the world!  You could be a God!"  Domarus struck at the demon again and when the demon dodged he charged a sword art, then unleashed it on the demon, dealing the last bit of damage to the monster.  The demon fell back and as he did so the crowd soon broke out of their trance and began to cheer him.  Domarus walked over to the fallen foe.

"I have no intention of removing their free will.  Because then there'd be nothing to rule.  Just a bunch of empty minds.  There'd be no point to it now would there?"  The demon chuckled, his shades flashing in the light.  The crowd turned to the demon and began to boo at him, throwing rocks, crumpled paper, snowballs, anything they could get their hands on they turned it all on him.  Such as it was.  Those who didn't please the crowd, would be destroyed by it.  Then the demon turned into a black mist and vanished.  With that, Domarus was back in the large room again.

ID#  73601  BD:  9  CD:  8  MD:  2

Domarus:  420/420  -  31/42  -Crescent Avalanche used

Demon of Dominance:  0/105  -10+1x7-3=74

Edited by Domarus
  • 5 weeks later...

Domarus looked around at the massive room and noted that many of the coals now had a few fiery embers beginning to rise.  Everything else was unchanged about the room.  Domarus turned around to view the door he had recently stepped through.  Instead of a blank prison like door, it appeared more welcoming, more inviting.  Something someone would be far more willing to walk into, rather than a prison like door, void of feeling.  That was the empire he would build.  He would create a kingdom that would make the population content with their pitiful lives.  With that there would be no reason to overthrow him, or to hesitate in doing as he asks.  He would be Alexander, Napoleon, Caesar, all as they were meant to be.  Conquering through words and deeds and keeping everyone from getting angry.  There would be a few who would not be happy, but that could not be helped of course.  There were always people like that.  Domarus turned to the figure who sent him in there.  The figure was still black but it seemed more stronger than it had been before.  As if it were sick and was attempting to recover.  He grunted as the figure pointed at the second door, the one that was decorated with pain and suffering.  And he opened the door to step in.

Energy:  (1/3)

When he stepped through the first thing he registered were the screams.  Some in pain, some in fear.  Some quiet pleads and others howling from their agony.  The second thing he observed was the room.  It was a dull room with rusted walls and shattered lights.  The only thing odd about the room that wasn't natural was that the floor was covered in blood.  Blood that reached up to his ankles.  The screams continued and Domarus saw a hallway.  That's where they were coming from.  He began to make his way over when a figure stepped in the way.  It was the same man as before.  The demon.  Wearing his black coat and shades the demon was smirking at Domarus.  

"You certainly walk a fine line don't you think?  Playing hero when at heart you're a villain."  Domarus scoffed.

"You're one to talk.  I assume the screams are from your torturing?  Why is that supposed to bother me?"  The demon grinned widely and stepped into the room.

"A good question Harken.  Tell me:  Do you plan on torturing anyone who gets in your way?  What about those who disrespect you?  Don't you want to make them pay for that once you've risen to power?"  To this Domarus laughed loudly, multiple screams of fear followed closely afterwards.

"Oh you do a terrible job at this.  This all goes back to the same answer."

Energy:  (2/3)

It was ridiculous.  If this was the best cardinal could pull as his inner demon it was failing terribly.  It was trying to take what he had made official, and drive him further into the darkness.  It would never work.

"To torture someone simply because they don't follow me gives me a name.  There are thousands who have done so and they have been titled tyrants.  Demons.  Torturers.  No.  I only torture those who threaten my subjects.  True it is only because I need their support, but the fact remains that only those who stand in my way of victory through means of making my subjects targets are the ones whom I shall target.  No more no less."  The demon smirked.  It was losing this and yet even now it acted as if it was winning.  The demon knew this was just going to be going back to a fight.  It always would.  The creature pulled a blade out of nowhere.  The blade was not the previous great sword, but a straight sword obviously designed to inflict pain.  Domarus was guessing that the pain dampeners would be reduced so he would feel pain.  How much he was uncertain, but he accepted the challenge with an unseen grin.  He drew his ax and took position.  The demon chuckled.  

"But are you willing to take the pain they have to bear?  Would you be willing to go that far for you're little puppets?  And if so, HOW FAR?!"  

Edited by Domarus

Domarus watched the demon charge at him with a heavy swing.  Domarus was barely able to dodge the attack and leaped through the doorway into the hall.  The screams of pain and terror grew louder and the demon charged towards the doorway and leaped out of the way.  The demon smiled as he walked forward.

"Listen to that!  Submission.  They fear you and therefore will obey you.  You want allegiance and obedience correct?"  Domarus grunted.

"Once more, the weak shall gather and overthrow the strong.  For the strong are few and can be overpowered by the many.  This is seen in many wars and throughout history.  Conquerers and tyrants have been destroyed and dethroned because of this.  The subjects must be content and satisfied in order for the leader to keep his throne."  He charged his sword art and released it against the demon, dealing over half his damage yet again.  However it seemed his health increased, which meant his damage and MIT was most likely higher too.  The demon laughed and dashed forward, running past him like a flash and Domarus felt a cut on his cheek.  It felt real too, like a real cut.  However he didn't flinch.  He just turned around.  

"That all you got?"

ID#  74080  BD:  6  CD:  11  MD:  4  -  Crescent Avalanche used  x7 dmg, - 7 energy

Domarus:  420/420  -  35/42
Demon of Torture:  73/140  -10x7-3=67 dmg

Demon stats:  140 hp, 32 dmg, 3 MIT

Edited by Domarus

The demon charged forward again, slashing at Domarus left and right.  However he had yet to land a blow that dropped his health.  It seemed this trial was mainly revolved around pain and nothing more.  He stood still as the demon struck faster and faster, hoping to get him in an area that would make Domarus flinch at least.  However Domarus had more than enough experience with pain.  He not only had received it from his father growing up, but he would build up his resistance to it.  Over the years, the more pain that was afflicted to him, whether it be punches, burns, cuts, or pierces, he slowly was able to ignore the pain and appear like he felt nothing.  He still felt it of course, and everyone had their breaking point, but he would continue to afflict himself until he could last much longer than any human.  He decided enough was enough and he released another sword art at the demon, reducing it's health to nearly zero.  The demon grinned at Domarus, obviously ready to inflict more pain.

ID#  74081  BD:  8  CD:  11  MD:  3  -  Crescent Avalanche used  x7 dmg, -7 energy

Domarus:  420/420  -  28/42
Demon of Torture:  6/140  -10x7-3=67 dmg

Edited by Domarus

The demon struck at Domarus again, this time using different methods.  He cut Domarus in such ways that he felt his hand falling off for a split second, the blade going through his chest.  He reacted from these actions since there was no way in the real world to prepare for them.  He gritted his teeth from the sensation of his hand coming off and he choked from the feeling of a sword going through his heart.  The Demon smiled viciously.  

"You see?  This is what your enemies should be feeling, not you.  So go out there and MAKE THEM FEEL."  The demon continued to slash at him in ways that would normally kill a man, using sensations that could never be prepared for outside the game, causing Domarus to take more and more steps back.  Slowly but surely, he was forced back into the room.  Finally the demon stabbed Domarus in the throat, forcing him to fall to his knees.  The demon pulled it out and stabbed his chest, leaving the sword in there and stepping back with a wide grin on it's face.  

"So?  Is the pain too much for you?  Are you ready to give up yet?"  Domarus breathed heavily for a moment.  Then he slowly began to laugh before his laughter echoed through the halls, silencing everything.  Most likely the torturers themselves were fearful.  Domarus yanked the sword out and released his sword art on the demon one last time.  As it's health hit zero he spoke.

"I'll never give up.  This will only make me stronger you fool.  I'm never surprised twice.  Mark my words I will punish those that I SEE FIT.  Not you."  The demon smiled as he turned to a dark mist yet again.  

ID#  74082  BD:  8  CD:  4  MD:  2  Crescent Avalanche used  x7 dmg, -7 energy

Domarus:  420/420  -  21/42
Demon of Terror:  0/140  -
10x7-3=67 dmg

Edited by Domarus

With the demon dead the torturers poked their heads out of the doorways and saw Domarus in his armor, his weapon tightly gripped.  The men all screamed and ran.  Domarus looked behind and noted that the door was gone.  Then he saw that the door had been moved to the other end of the hallway.  So he began to walk in direction of the door and as he passed the open doorways he saw the tortured begin to get onto their feet, finding the healing packs and bandages.  As he passed the doors more and more began to thank him and some even cheered.  They continued to follow him but he was ignoring them.  They weren't real.  Just a program running to mess with his mind.  Here he could be his true self.  He just needed to keep the disguise on outside of this world the cardinal created for him.  As he reached the door he saw that the designs on it were all gone.  The door was once again blank.  He didn't care.  He was in this quest for the sp, but mainly the skill.  No more.  No less.  He opened the door and stepped through.

Energy:  (1/3)

Domarus was once again in the huge room.  This time the walls were lined with stone pillars.  No decorations, just plain stone.  The coals covering the ground now possessed a much stronger flame, able to cover over half of the floor.  The flames licked at Domarus' boots but he felt nothing.  All in all the room was much more alive now, seemingly hungry for fuel to feed it's flame.  Domarus turned and saw the black figure standing in front of three doorways.  He narrowed his eyes as he noted that the first doorway had vanished, and the second doorway seemed slightly translucent.  So that's it he thought.  Two doors left.  The third door was hooded figures holding scythes.  Domarus was guessing which door this was, and if he was correct than this would be a rather simple result.  He didn't bother sheathing his weapon since he would most likely be assaulted upon entering.  Still, his damage was more than enough and even though the demon's health was increased, it most likely wasn't nearly enough as it needed to be.

Energy:  (2/3)

With that he opened the door and began to step forward.  This time it wasn't sight or sound that caught his attention right away.  It was the smell.  The scent of blood, of corpses.  Of death.  Of course he guessed that easily.  And he already guessed what was going to happen the moment he entered the doorway, which is why he lifted his ax and blocked the incoming attack from the demon.  The sword striking against him was a blade designed for a quick kill.  The demon was grinning.  

"Now we draw closer to the end.  Tell me Harken.  You may not torture those who follow you, but what of those who decide to go and blab the truth?  What of the traitors?  The easiest way is to eliminate them and cover it up"  Domarus nearly laughed at the comment but first scanned the area real quick.  It was an endless floor of stone, the floor uneven and with lots of jagged areas.  Bodies dotted the place too, thus being the only obstacles.  Domarus shoved the demon back and grunted.  

"For crying out loud.  Even if I covered it up you know as well as I do that not only could someone find out the truth should they seek long enough, but it doesn't make the best name for me either.  The wave of death would only be related to me and that is unacceptable.  However...  If nobody cares about the target.  If they've assaulted me publicly.  Then I have no qualms on killing them."

Energy:  (3/3)

The demon rushed towards Domarus, it's blade very fast, much faster than it would usually be possible to.  Domarus tried to block the weapon by spinning his own ax around but the demon was too fast and managed to get past his defenses.  When he did he pushed the huge ax out of the way and slashed at him with all his speed and strength.  Domarus tried to move his gauntlets into position but the demon forced them aside and continued to strike at Domarus' vital points, causing a critical hit to be made.  The demon locked blades and grinned.

"And what would happen if you died eh?  What would happen then?  And before you give me that I'll be prepared s**t, know this:  Many who were prepared have died anyways."  Domarus listened to the words of this demon before his gauntlets flashed and he watched his health rise a little more.  He grinned at the demon.  

"I think I'm good in this situation."  With that he pushed the demon back and released his sword art, dealing as much damage as he could possibly inflict upon him.  Once he maxed out Rhozarth's skill he could get a weapon that dealt paralysis and bleed, or try getting two bleed and a unique.  And if they didn't get him a unique it could always be a paralysis.  Simple as that.

ID#  74102  BD:  7  CD:  11  MD:  10
Domarus:  412/420  35/42  -42+2-27=17.  +9 health regeneration-
Demon of Death:  145/210  -  42 dmg  -  5 MIT  -10x7-5=65-

Edited by Domarus
  • 2 weeks later...

The demon refused to switch onto the defensive.  It continued to strike at every turn, choosing offensive as it's defensive method.  However Domarus was going to keep it from being able to land any devastating blows, even though they did barely anything at all.  He wanted to demonstrate his authority over this foolish creature.  He pushed his own offensive and swung his ax, spun it around and swung it again, a tactic he was using to keep the demon from landing a hit.  And so far it was working.  When he finally got past the demon's blade he released the sword art again, crashing through most of it's health once more.  He swung again but the demon blocked the blade and held it.  

"But I'm not talking about here am I?  What if you died Harken?  What if you died in this god forsaken place?  And do you really think their lives are worth more than yours?  Why then should that hold you back?"  This time Domarus' brow furrowed.  This demon was getting better with his words, he had to admit.  However he would not let this distract him from the battle.

ID#  74794  BD:  9  CD:  5  MD:  3  Crescent Avalanche used  x7,  -7
Domarus:  412/420  28/42
Demon of Death:  73/210  -10+1x7-5=72-

Edited by Domarus

The demon saw the reaction and grinned evilly, pushing at Domarus and forcing him back, lashing his blade out.  Domarus attempted to block the incoming attacks but to no avail, getting hit with yet another critical attack.  Were all of his attacks going to be critical hits?  After the strike the demon locked blades yet again.

"Kill or be killed.  This is the world of sword art online.  Player killers are so overly common you'll have no choice.  Anyone can turn red easily.  Just some stress, pained history, betrayal, and you have the perfect recipe for death.  That's why you must learn to kill them before they kill you.  You know this already don't you?"  Domarus believed that he was getting a little overconfident, but he was able to keep Domarus from attacking him.  And right now he was thinking of the best way to respond.  Best to let him have his say and then when he killed the demon, he would have the last word.

"All those plans of yours, all those schemes.  They could all be lost by a few simple strokes.  What if the stronger players felt you were too dangerous?  What if they decided to end you before you could end others?"

ID#  74796  BD:  1  CD:  6  MD:  10
Domarus:  404/420  27/42  
-42+2-27=17.  +9 health regeneration-
Demon of Death:  73/210

Edited by Domarus

The demon pushed at him again, swinging his blade faster and faster in all kinds of direction, staying sure that a pattern didn't form and therefore, Domarus couldn't see where he was going to strike next.  He worked hard to make sure he didn't get hit but he knew it wouldn't last long.  The best he could do was keep it from being a critical attack and therefore land some thorn damage on his opponent.  The demon stabbed and slashed, even kicked from time to time.  Finally the demon tried to land a solid blow but instead met his gauntlets.  The demon felt the damage done to him as well as watched Domarus' health go down by a sliver, then get raised a little when his gauntlets lit up.  Domarus stared at the demon directly in the eyes, his own betraying no emotions this time.  He was growing tired of this and wanted this quest over with.  And he knew there was one more match to be made, and he did NOT have time for this.

"Time to end this little game of ours."

ID#  74798  BD:  1  CD:  10  MD:  6
Domarus:  398/420  26/42 -42-27=15  +9 health regeneration-
Demon of Death:  61/210  -12 thorn damage-

Edited by Domarus