{OP-F1-NK} A Swordsman's Beginning (COMPLETE)

How long have I been just sitting here, too scared to venture out of the town? I look around the Town of Beginnings, seeing all the players, both those like me, too scared to leave, and the ones we see as heroes, the ones going out to beat this game. I always wanted to be a hero, but here, could I be? I suppose without going out and trying, I'll never know, but it's been so long, since that first fateful day, where we learned this is more than just a game. I walk to the gates of the Town, and step outside, looking at the plains rolling as far as the eye can see. I take a deep breath, and step forward, as I hold my hand on the hilt of the sword.

"Well, here goes nothing. I swore to be the best, but I've done nothing yet. The time to be scared is past, I must fight."

Edited by Bongartz
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Bold words."

The voice came from nearby where a foreigner dressed as a Samurai seemed to be relaxing amidst the crowd leisurely drinking. He appeared to be American, but his clothes were very traditional, complete with hakama and a blue and white haori. His Japanese was only marred by the hint of a foreign accent. Leaning up against his side was a pair of impressively crafted katana, obviously player made.

"Still, it's good you've decided to act. Too many people sit here and do nothing. The hardest step is the first."

The elder player, who appeared to be in his 30s, smiled slightly at Bongartz.

"There's a guild out there, called the Celestial Ascendants, if I recall correctly. They help players who are just taking their first steps to grow. You should look into them, but they'll want to know that your resolve is iron clad, and you'll need some equipment."

Baldur stood up and walked over to Bongartz, and gave him a slight bow of respect.

"If you can keep your momentum going, and complete a quest, then come by my shop and I'll give you some free equipment to help you get going."

"The best way to get equipment is a treasure hunt. You never know what goodies you will fine after all." A female voice pieced the scene followed by the tattering steps of running. In the open was a 16 year old girl dressed in a black sailor uniform with blue trims and cuffs. Her hair was sliver and her eyes where blue and red. These eyes locked on to the newbie player, though they did catch the other man who managed to beat her here. He offered the player free gear though she could not imagine what kind of gear would be useful. Out of everything she received from her benefactor, the armor was the most useful. It kept her alive long and well. The shield was her primary source of damage, allowing her to take a beating and dish it right back at the boars.

However it was not the idea of free stuff caught her attention. It was the idea of doing a quest. See, all great treasure hunters go on grand quest. However with her low puny damage, those adventures become very tedious. While her shield did managed to overcome her enemies, it could still prove to be a problem should she not be able to land an attack. That was why she turned to parting with other players. Most of them spec damage which complemented her high defenses. She had no doubt that this new player would have done the same thing. After all, who plays "Sword Art Online" without getting a "sword art," well besides her.

"The name is Row and if you are looking to do battle, then as a fellow newbie. I offer my services to be your shield."

Startled at first, I look between the figures, I release my hold on the hilt of my blade and smile, returning the bow to the Samurai.

"My name is Bongartz, and I'd be grateful for the help. Before I try my hand at a quest though, I still haven't had a single fight, and practice would serve well before a test."

I turn to face the young girl, whose multi-colored eyes catch my attention, though I say nothing about it.

"Ms. Row, I'd be glad to accept your services, though what exactly do you mean by treasure hunt? Is treasure hunting something more difficult or dangerous than just merely fighting mobs?"

I ponder what exactly a treasure hunter would do, and can only picture what would be like a Rogue or Thief in other games, the main class I loved to play. If I could do something like that here, I know it's what I'd be good at.

Edited by Bongartz

(Please be aware of the 150 word minimum on posts)

Baldur looked over as a multicolored ball of energy suddenly leapt into the personal space of the two men. The gaijin Samurai was momentarily taken aback by the energy of the young... tank. Once he had regained his composure, he gave her a slight bow of his head in greeting.

"Nice to meet you, Bongartz. And... you as well Ms Row. I'm Baldur."

When Bongartz asked his question, Baldur tipped his head slightly in thought.

"There are hidden dungeons and special treasure chests that are scattered over Aincrad, though sub-dungeons don't exist on the lowest floors. But they're generally more challenging, and treasure chests require a special skill to open. If you're just starting out, I would work on some non-combat quests, rather than fighting anything. The boars of this floor have killed more players than any other mob in this castle."

"At the minimum, you'll want a few more HP, and maybe a health potion before you try and go into combat alone."

"Alright, non-combat questing would help get levels without as much worry on dying to a boar." After a few seconds, I realize what I had just said, "Wait, boars have killed more players than anything? I was under the impression that the boars on this floor were the weakest creature in the game, comparable to slimes in most other games. Could they really be that powerful so as to kill so many?"  I take a quick glance at the plains around us, reaching my hand up near my sword, and upon not seeing any immediately nearby, release a silent sigh of relief, then attempt to hide my hand movement by brushing my hair to the side. I shake my head really quick, hoping no one noticed my nervous reaction, then look back at Baldur and ask "Is there a particular quest you'd recommend, or just any non-combat one to get started?" 

Row was taken back a by the professionalism coming off of the older player. In fact, her persona caused her to feel embarrass for showing her childish nature and not giving a proper greeting herself. "Oh... uh... sorry. I did not mean to be rude." She quickly returned the bow after her apologize. Her face was completely red when she stood back up but she did not turn away. Instead she listened as the man explained sub dungeons and special treasures. All of what he said was true but that was not the treasures she was referring to. To think this man had a greater view of treasures then herself, it was admirable. Also, it showed that he was clearly an experience player and worthy of the Senpai title. "Baldur, do you mind if i refer to you as Senpai?" She smiled, throwing away her embarrassment for a more preferred expression of joy. "Also, I don't have said skill yet, but what I was talking about was the treasures from killing mobs. You know, those rare things that require a lot of luck. Also the gear normal mobs could drop. If one was lucky then they could find a merchant and have them appraise the item to turn it into a perfect. Its the best and quickest way to look for treasures."

When the two started discussing boars, she was a little confused. To her the boars were pretty easy to fight but then again, she did have good gear. She sighed seeing that the player decided to stay away from fighting. Eventually he would gain the confidence to fight the mobs one day so she should do everything in her power to encourage it. That way, she could have a powerful ally for when she does start doing the sub dungeons.

"Besides the profession quest, was there any other non-combat quest?"

Baldur watched as the girl who introduced herself as Row seemed to change and become more serious. For an older salt like him, it was a welcome change. When she asked if she could call him Senpai, a slight blush came to his cheeks. He wasn't sure how to take it, so he let the question pass him by as he redirected his attention to the other comments.

"As Row-chan mentions, there is a quest called <<Earning a Living>> that can get you a profession, it can also be completed for bonus rewards. Other than that, there are certain random quests that cardinal creates, of which are material gathering quests and those are mostly non-combat. They'll also help you save up to buy better and better equipment."

Baldur taps his chin in thought.

"If you can get a person or two together, <<Long Live the Queen>> can be a good quest once you're no longer single digit in levels. And I think there's a quest called... <<Traveller>> or something of the like on the 5th floor. I don't remember there being much combat in that one, but the heat on the first floor can cause damage if you're unprepared."

Leaning in the shadows of the gate as to not draw too much attention to himself stood a tall figure in basic starting gear. He parted his long white hair to the side of his head to get a better look at the situation developing in front of him. Overhearing some of the details provided to the other low leveled player, he believed overhearing the name Bongartz, that there was indeed another way to level up without risking ones life sounded just like what Percival was looking for. 

He heard of the horror stories of all the players slain thinking that this was just your typical MMORPG. That the starting monsters should be easy to the new players, but that is not the case in this new found hell. It is as if everyone has thrown a blanket over the elephant in the room, whether out of fear, regret, stubborness, or something else entirely. They forget that this is our life now, that even the smallest mistake can cost them their lives. Here you can never be too prepared. You must be ready for anything and everything. 

Percival is about to approach the group when an uneasy feeling washes over him. "What are you doing Obediah?" as he whispers to himself shaking his head. You know what happens when you make so called "friends". They just use you until they feel they got their use out of you and run you through the back and leave you high and dry. I will just sit back and wait to see if there is any more information to learn from this group. I don't know if I can trust them just yet.

I start to think about some of the quests, and one in particular sticks in my head; "Earning a Living might be a good idea to get some extra Col for gear and equipment, might start off with that one, as long as it's not very combative, or at least on the easy side. Maybe follow Row's thought process, become a Treasure Hunter to sell some of the rare loot and crafting materials that only these hidden chests hold. Would almost always have plenty of Col to upgrade my own gear as I need it, maybe even some party members." As I finish thinking out loud, I start to smile and feel as if I could actually make a difference for other players, maybe even be the one person that the Frontlines need to come to for the best gear. Out of the corner of my eye though, I notice some slight movement in the shadows of the gate, and still on guard from worrying about the boars comment, I immediately grab my sword, facing the direction of the movement. "Show yourself!" I speak quickly, with a slight tremble in my voice I try to hide, though the hand holding the blade is as still as the night.

Dominion was laying down at his acquired location where he deemed a decent place to stay. It was literally a curb, just off of an alleyway road, but to each their own. Dominion had been writing in his journal about his real world experiences, but his hand began to get tired. Therefore, he deemed it time to take his every other day run around the city. He stood up, whipping his dirty shirt, the honors going to the ridiculously tough boar he had fought a couple days prior. "I wonder if there is a creek that can clean this shirt, or if I have to go to the store and buy a new one. Good thing I have acquired enough col." Dominion started to run, but as he got near the gate, he heard someone say something about showing oneself. Dominion stopped, turned his body to face the player with the intention to make eye contact, but he seemed afraid and was grabbing his sword. Dominion immediately put his arms up. "I swear, it wasn't me!" Dominion grinned but he was genuinely serious and didn't lower his arms at all. There was a couple players beside him, one being Row. Dominion waved with his right arm, while still keeping his left arm up. Dominion looked back over at the player and asked, "Why are you holding your blade with such sturdiness, but the rest of your body appears to tremble in fear?" Dominion raised one of his eyebrows questioningly.

Edited by Dominion

Percival startled by the retort from Bongartz froze in place. He looked over to Bongartz whom was taking a defensive stance, and realized that he must have startled Bongartz with himself lurking in the background the way that he was. 

"Look what you did now Obediah..." He whispers to himself. He goes to step forward when a new voice exlaims "I swear, it wasn't me!". Percival turns to look to the voice and sees an individual with his hands in the air. Great...you make a player defensive and now someone thinks they are getting into trouble becaise of you. You better sort this out before something happens. The new players asks Bongartz about his shaky stance as Percival is stepping forward from the shadows of the gate.

He exclaims to the player with his hands up "Because humans fear what lurks in the unknown.". He walks up next to this player and looks to him "I appologize for this inconvenience, but I believe that question and reason for him being spooked is of my doing.".

He turns to Bongartz and bows. "I deeply apologize for putting you on guard. That was not my intent I can assure you." He stands upright and with a tilt of his head and smiles "My name is Percival, but you can call my Percy.". 

I look between the two new figures and slowly re-sheath my sword; "Sorry, I don't like being eavesdropped on, nor as you say, what lurks within the unknown. My name is Bongartz. Though to answer your question, by allowing myself fear, I am able to enhance my reflexes to a degree, as I'm already prepared to move, while keeping my sword hand steady to cut exactly where I want to, when I want to." Taking a deep breath, I calm down, allowing the fear to reside and sturdy myself. "Why were you hiding? If you had made your presence known, I wouldn't have just made a scene." I scratch my head, trying to think why a player would hide in the shadows, then I look at his gear, and realize he's new as well. "I'm sorry, just a little jumpy, I've never even thought to leave town until now, and I'm jumping at shadows." I smile as I realize what I said, so I add, "Quite literally, it seems, too."

"Don't worry, as long as you're within the town walls, no harm can come to you.You can just take a step back and be perfectly safe. That said, as long as I'm standing here, there's not much danger." Baldur patted the wicked looking cursed blade at his side. The <<Muramasa>> appeared to be cursed inside and outside of the game.

"There are many ways to complete <<Earning a Living>> that don't include hunting monsters. And you can always get one of those random gathering quests."

Turning his head only, Baldur's steel blue eyes peaked over at the two new arrivals.

"Welcome. It seems you're gathering a crowd, Bongartz. Maybe at this rate you'll have found a party that can help you out."

Baldur looked at each of the players in turn, as if appraising them with his keen, experienced eye. Being so much older than most players tended to make him a bit of an oddity.

"I thought I knew most players of note, but you..." Baldur met eyes with Dominion, "It seems you have a bit of potential. I guess I have been out of the Starting City for too long." Then Baldur opened up his posture to address Percy as well. "I'm Baldur, nice to meet you all."

Percival can't help but wince at Baldur's previous 'Party' statement. Quickly, to hide his pain, Percival does a bowing nod to Baldur "Greetings. Nice to make your acquaintance.". As Percival raises his head he takes a good look at the traditional man standing in the group in front of him. Eyeing the katana on his side; Now that is a blade I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of. However as intimidating as the blade is, Percival can't help but admire the craftsmanship of the blade. With the pursuit of becoming a grand blacksmith, maybe being able to craft such formidable equipment as the one on Baldur's side might indeed be a possibility in the future.

Looking over to Bongartz, "Again I deeply apologize for the start that I caused. I was merely relaxing in the shade of the gate when I overheard an interesting topic brought up that peaked my interest.". Shaking his head and smiling, "I am not saying i'm not a shady looking person, but I can assure you that there are worse things that go bump in the night." Percival laughingly puts a hand behind his head "I mean if you think myself in starting gear is a disturbing sight then you are in for a world of hurt once you leave to venture the wilds."  

Things were starting to get energetic as more and more people walked up. Row tried to cover up her giggle when Baldur stole the words right out of her mouth. She loved groups when she was a merchant in other games, but right now she had nothing good to offer so this group will eventually end up being wasted potential. When Bongartz shouted out to some hidden player, Dom just happened to be in that direction. She smile and gave a small wave back, not waiting to draw attention to herself. She had nothing against the man. However she did not want to be associated as his girlfriend either. In her eyes, he was still a stranger. Well maybe that was a little extreme. Potential party member had such a much nicer ring it. Also he was not a mean person at all, maybe a little weird but who isn't weird right? "I don't think Dom is a bad guy Baldur..." but soon it was revealed that a more nervous player was the one to alert Bongartz's senses. After hearing Baldur explain how the town was a safe zone, she chuckled. It made sense but it was not something she was consciously aware of. She always had a safe feeling while being in a town but who wouldn't?

Now how many more players would appear?

I realize Baldur's words were quite correct: our little conversation quickly became 5 of us, with little or no knowledge of each other, all in the same place at the same time, albeit for different reasons.

"That explains at least why I've always felt safe in Town, despite all that's happened here. However, before I cross the threshold to return to town, and try to pick up a quest, I need to see what I can do, at least to some degree. I want to fight one of these boars, and see how well I can hold up. Though I wouldn't turn down assistance, I don't want to end up like some of these other players that were caught over confidant and under prepared."

I look around at each of the figures around me, ending with Row, to whom I give a slight smile to as her words were the first to make me want to fight, and attempt to try my hand at being a Treasure Hunter.

Dominion remained quiet as people spoke, but brought his attention back to Baldur. "It's nice to meet you, Baldur. The name is Dominion the monk." Dominion put one hand on top of the other, extending them outwards slightly from his body while bowing. Following this action, he raised his torso back up and asked Baldur, "Since you mentioned finding a party to assist low level players, do you yourself have a party that you adventure with?" Dominion remembered his original reason for being in front of the gate, to do his every other day run. He stated, "Sorry for the leave, but I must continue my run. I await the next chance to talk to you two" Dominion clearly referred to Row and Baldur. So, he swiped open his menu and sent a friend request to Percy and Bongartz. Turning to the guy from the shadows, Dominion greeted him with his own name. "Well Percy, if you are ever in need of assistance, I travel from place to place helping where I can." Dominion then turned to Bongartz, "And if you are ever in need of assistance, just ask." Dominion knew that it would be strange for him to wave again, so instead of making any last movements, he just turned to continue running the main road around the city.

"Man... what a boring day..." Ourian groaned as he decided to go for a walk outside of the city for a little bit. He may still be a low level player, but he was confident in his abilities to at least handle some of the spawns on the first floor. Staring up into the sunny sky, Ourian still couldn't believe it was artificial as the clouds shifted with the wind, the breeze brushing through his silver hair. 

Continuing his walk, Ourian notices a group of players near the gates to the city, causing him to start looking for an alternate path. He wasn't very fond of other people and, quite frankly, would rather just be left alone. Unfortunately for him, there didn't seem to be any alternate paths and he was within eyesight. Biting the bullet, he walks past the gate and tries to walk around the group, not making a sound or even attempting to communicate to them. As he passed by, he overheard the more experienced player mention a party.

A party huh... Whatever... Working with others never works out... You just get stabbed in the back as soon as you get stronger or something they want... He thought bitterly as he put his hands in his pockets, continuing to walk away.

Edited by Ourian

Percival's heart immediately sank when the little display box popped up in front of him. "Accept Friend Request?" Was everything he was trying to avoid from all of this. How did things turn out like this? He can't make friends. Not now, at least not until he is much stronger. He can't bear being a burden to any of the strangers in front of him. He would rather to die alone and forgotten than to put them at risk. He puts his finger over the red X to decline, but just as he is about to press the button he could not help but feel guilt.

What do I do! Screamed Percival in his head. Quickly turning his head and closing his eyes he presses his finger forward. *Beep*

Quickly turning back to the little display menu Percival sees he instead hit....accept. Trying to keep his shock under control he quickly turns off the display. What have you done?! He shouted in his head. He can't keep making these small scenes like this. He has to get out of this situation before things get out of control for him. Giving a final wave and smile back to Dominion as he continued his run.

He quickly turned to Bongartz, and with a stern look "You may be itching for a fight, but i'm not itching to lose my life. Nor do I think going into pointless danger is a good option. If you are going to proceed with this I am going to have to pass." Percival can't help but hope that Bongartz ignores him and continues his journey to become stronger. That he takes these strangers with him and forget that he even existed.

As he finished his retort to Bongartz he can't help but notice that another player is approaching the gate. Please keep moving. Don't stop. He can't help but say in his head to this player approaching.