{OP-F1-NK} A Swordsman's Beginning (COMPLETE)

When the friend request from Dominion appears, I accept it quickly, then wave at Dominion's retreating figure as he continues his run. I turn to face Percy as he begins to speak to me, and merely smile at him when he finishes.

"It may be pointless to you, I don't hold it against you, however how can I expect to become better, if I don't even know my current limits? I have no intention on dying, I do know my way around a sword, and I'm not going to fight alone, if I can help it, but if I must, I will. The Frontliners are already on the 20th Floor, and I'm just now getting past my fear to help, so I know I'm far behind, but I will catch up, no matter how hard it winds up being. If you won't accompany me today, perhaps later, when we are both stronger, and we can watch each other's backs. I feel as though you will become quite the fighter as well, and I'd be honored to say I'm your friend, if you'd accept?"

With that, I smile at Percy, and send him a Friend Request as well, though as I do I see another figure walking briskly, obviously not wanting to be near us and I raise an eyebrow at the man, but I say nothing to him.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Baldur smiles at everyone as they come and go form the area. This 'Dominion the Monk' fellow seemed to be jogging laps around the starting city. Maybe he was working on some special endurance skill Baldur hadn't yet come across. Whatever the reason, it seemed everyone was getting ready to go their seperate ways. Baldur had not mentioned to engage so many people for so long, he merely wanted to help out Bongartz, but it would do no one any good if he were to give good equipment to a player who did nothing with it. If Bongartz could prove that he was going to stick with it and push through and help them get out of this tower, than Baldur would do his part to help him out as well.

"I should get going, I have a shop to run and the frontline to push."

Smiling to those still left at the front gate to the town, Baldur gave them a slight bow and then turned and walked back into the city towards his shop. It was pretty empty for the most part, but it seems that he was able to help out some people when it mattered. He kept reminding himself that there were members of the frontline who would not be alive if he hadn't opened up his shop when he had.

<<Baldur exits the thread>>

It was funny how people worked sometimes. Just as fast as a crowd build up around this newer player, it died down. Now, unless Row forgot someone which was completely possible, it was just Row and the newb. She debated if she wanted to stay any longer but that would all depend on what the player wanted to do. From the way he was talking, it would seem that he was going to wait a little bit longer before diving into danger. That was complete fine as it would be his life on the line. Ultimately, she decided that it was best to follow the crowd. The boy was probably exhausted from all this attention. Row knew she would be. "Sorry that your party had to end so soon. I personally would stay but I also have a shop to stock up. If you ever do want to do some training, let me know. Maybe we can find you something worth wild." With that she gave a bow and walked off. If the boy did not quit now, she was sure their paths would cross again.

<<Row exits the thread>>

With everyone leaving Percival does a slight bow to each one of them. 

Percival Turns to face Bongartz "I can tell you have a strong will. However will alone wont get you through this world. Its a mixture of skill, luck, and power. Right now you don't have many of those." He shakes his head "You might be able to defeat one of the monsters, or you might not. However one thing is certain. You fight alone and unprepared out there. You will die."

Percival turns and walks away back towards the city. As he walks he turns back one last time to Bongartz. "I will accept your friend request. If you promise me something. Don't die." With this, Percival turns and walks away waving his hand, and accepting the friend request in his menu. Well this is close to the worst luck you could have had there Obediah, thinking to himself. Two friends and people now know your name. With his hands behind his head "At least hes not alone out there. He will have help and plenty of friends." Putting his hands back down on his side. "I can't afford to have that luxury. Not when everything is on the line. I will not have someone die because of me. That's not going to happen." He mutters to himself walking deeper into the city.

<<Percival exits the thread>>

I smile sadly as everyone starts to leave, and realize that, even though I drew a crowd, not one of them stuck around to actually help, just an offer for future assistance. As Percy goes to leave, I wave and shout after him;

"I won't die, you have my word. But that goes the same to you, don't get a quest you can't win, at least not without asking for help!"

As Percy fades from sight, there's no one really nearby, though there was that one man, who walked by quite briskly earlier, who was still within eye sight, though pretty far away at this point, who might be going out to fight himself.

*Hmm, perhaps if he's going to get some practice in, he might be willing to allow me to accompany him, if only to show me how to fight properly here. It's worth the shot to try.*

With the thought now set into his mind, he starts jogging to where that other player is still walking, hoping he can catch up in time, and more importantly, that the player would be kind enough to be his combat mentor.

Dominion found himself running at an unusually slow pace. He could not tell what was wrong with himself. After that weird incident, he didn't feel right. If that dude was new to adventuring, I am no better than the average person. I send a friend request and leave the guy to fend for himself...? That is not how I roll.... Dominion turned around and began to run back towards the two players that once stood by the gate, but he passed one of the players that he sent a request to. However, the player that was walking swiftly toward him seeming to be by himself. Dominion didn't wish to bother the player any further and continued to run back towards the gate. When he reached the gateway out into the grasslands, there was nobody there anymore. Seems as though the other player found someone to help him after all... Dominion took notice to the player far off, jogging after something. Maybe he is really eager to fight something... but that player seemed rather cautious not that long ago... Dominion could not decide between staying in the city or leaving to make sure the player got assistance. For the meantime, he would just sit beside the gate, make sure the he didn't intrude on the player, and double check to make sure he had enough col for tea on the next floor up.

Edited by Dominion

Continuing to walk out towards the crossroads where he could find some wolves to fight, Ourian drew his sword in the event should he be attacked. 

Where are you... I need to get stronger so I can assist the front lines... Ourian thought as he failed to find anything for a god while in any direction. Suddenly, he had the strangest sensation that he was being followed. Looking over his shoulder, he noticed someone out in the distance trying to catch up with him. Oh great... Ourian thought bitterly as he continued to walk, looking over his shoulder from time to time to see that he was, indeed, being followed and it wasn't just a coincidence. Stopping dead in his tracks, Ourian allowed the player to catch up to him, but kept a firm grip on his sword and did not face the player. 

"Is there any particular reason that you are following me?" Ourian said loud enough to have his annoyance conveyed. 

Edited by Ourian

Slightly taken aback from the tone of the man's voice, I stop dead in my tracks and nervously look at the other player;

"Well, I saw how you walked past us briskly before, like you knew exactly what you wanted to do, and how to fight. Everyone else left, so I was hoping maybe you could be my Combat Mentor, show me how to fight in this world. Please, I'm begging you, I need to learn, I'm tired of being scared and weak, I must become stronger."

I add the last part during a bow, to show my sincerity, and even though the other player isn't looking, I hope he can hear from my voice I'm genuinely wanting to fight, to be stronger. I can learn on my own, sure, but if I did, I'd probably die, I need help, and I'm not afraid it admit it to myself, or anyone else.

Turning around to meet the player face to face, Ourian notices how he is bowing to him. Judging from the tone in his voice, he could tell that his plea was sincere. The words he chose, however, is what struck Ourian the hardest: Those were the same exact words that had haunted him for so long. 

What are the odds... Ourian thought to himself as he sheathed his sword and crossed his arms. He was always intending on being a solo player, that much was certain, but he saw little harm in teaching a thing or two to someone who truly is interested in learning, although he didn't know how good of a teacher he could be, in all honesty... Scratching the back of his head, he sighs deeply. To hell with it...

"Quit bowing... No need for any of that... I'm not that much stronger than you..." Ourian told him as he turned around and started walking towards the crossroads. Looking over his shoulder, he calls out to the player once more. "You coming or what?"

I straighten my back quickly, looking at the player with a giant smile on my face and a fire in my eyes.

"O-of course! Thank you so much, I won't let you down. By the way, my name is Bongartz, and if I may ask your own?"

*Relax Jordan, he may have agreed to teach you how to fight, but that doesn't mean he needs or wants your life story. Take it slow and pay attention, the first trial might yet be the hardest.*

I catch up to walk slightly behind and to the left of the man, smiling, anticipating the fight that I'm going towards, itching to use the blade I carry. I keep an eye out for any creature to fight, staying on edge just in case an enemy attempts to take us by surprise, wrapping my hands behind my head, to quickly grab my sword just in case.

Perfect... he's a talker... Ourian thought in annoyance as they continued to walk.

"Ourian..." He answered simply, continuing on without looking back to Bongartz, who had introduced himself as such. It was clear that he was extremely eager to fight, but he had a long way to go before he was ready to deal with the way of fighting in this world. Approaching the crossroads, Ourian stopped and scanned the horizon. Seeing no wolves for a while around, he nodded and turned to Bongartz, who looked as if something would be jumping out at them at any given time, making him uneasy.

"Okay... There are three things I want you to keep in mind..." Ourian said firmly as he held out a hand.

"First..." He raised his index finger. "You need to keep calm. If you are not calm, you won't be able to focus in combat. If you can't focus in combat, you will become a liability and get your allies hurt, if not killed..." He took another quick glance around to make sure nothing was around. Surely nothing would attack out in the open during this time of day, unless it was a field boss or abnormal spawn created by a sub dungeon or quest. 

"Second... " He raised his middle finger alongside his index finger. "If you know any swordsmanship in the real world, forget them... Sure it will help you with maneuvers and such, but this place works off of stats and skillsets, not personal experience. You could be a martial arts champion in the real world, but without the proper stats and build to utilize them, those killer instincts that they have perfected will be nothing but child's play here..." He looked the player top to bottom, trying to get a good read of him. The way he carried himself showed that he had prior combat training and sighed when he seemed to have caught something right before it could possibly have gotten him killed.

"Finally..." He extended his thumb. "and this one is crucial... Trust nobody more than your own instincts... If the situation you and your party are in is dire and one of them tries to make everyone fight, but your instincts tell you to make everyone leave... follow it! Make them leave! It was instinct that has kept a good number of us alive for so long and I promise you it won't betray you..."

I look dumbfounded, especially when this Ourian mentioned his 2nd rule-how could he guess I knew how to fight out in the real world? Perhaps I show it somehow, without realizing. I ponder over his words, and see the truth within them, though I'm loathe to admit my prior training means little here, as I was truly hoping it would give me an edge against these creatures. I realize he may not take me very seriously with my actions thus far, and quickly become serious.

"I understand. Though I'm not a fan of retreat, I do know when a fight can't be won, and when to call it quits. I suppose here, of all places, it would matter more than anything as well, this being more than just a mere game. Also, I'm mostly calm in combat, just right now I'm full of nervous energy, as I have no idea what I'm getting myself into here."

Upon finishing my sentence, I stand straight up, and peer around the area, hoping to find something to train against, looking for any sign of wildlife.

Ourian notices the player's shock when he mentioned his second rule. Chuckling slightly, he explains himself. "You seem surprised that I would mention prior training... Well that is because it's just a typical thing here in Aincrad... Many players have come here expecting their real-life talents to aid them in combat. It took me a little while to get used to, but I had to get used to having more..." Ourian admitted, leading them off further into the fields, all the while still trying to figure out why he was agreeing to assisting this player...

Is it because our goals are the same?

Eventually, Ourian finds a wolf for them to fight and has both he and Bongartz stop before they are noticed.

"Now, I'm going to attack first, so its attention stays on me. Follow up after me, okay?" Ourian instructs, gripping Dark Steel's hilt and preparing to sprint into action. His eyes never leaving his target and his stance solid and his breathing calm. He waits for Bongartz to acknowledge that he had understood his instructions before initiating combat.

---

(OoC: I've set its damage low and its hp slightly higher so that you can get a grasp of how combat works, Bongartz. The MoB, in this case the wolf, will always act on the turn of the player who created it. We won't get anything for killing this one, since one that meets loot drop requirements can two shot you, but this is merely just for combat practice. Stats are below. Enjoy.)

Spoiler

Ourian
HP: 80/80
Energy: 8/8
Damage: 2
Mitigation: 3
Evasion: +1

Bongartz
HP: 20/20
Energy: 2/2
Mitigation: 0

Wolf
HP: 10/10
Damage: 3
Hate: None

Edited by Ourian

As soon as Ourian spots the wolf, I grab the hilt of my own sword and await the order. As he plans the attack combination, I stare intently at the wolf, just in case it happened to spot us and attack before we could.

"You mean a lot of players here are real life fighters as well?"

*I shake my head, realizing that this isn't the time or place for that particular question.

"Forget that for now. Attention elsewhere but on the combat is asking for trouble. Alright, on your go, I'm ready."

Adrenaline starts pumping through my body, as I realize I'm about to participate in my first combat in this death game, and I only hope I can prove myself to my Trainer.

*This is it Jordan, it's time to make good on your promise, and your wish. You wanted to be the strongest, so now go prove that you have what it takes! No more holding back, no more fear, the time to strike is now!*

"Stop talking!" Ourian snapped, not entirely meaning to, but his concentration was thrown off, thus aggravating him. Sighing, he took a deep breath and attempted to regain his composure.

"I apologize... but landing the first blow is crit- GET DOWN!" Ourian shouted, jumping in front of Bongartz and shielding him from the wolf that had apparently heard them talking and attacked head on. Immediately, it latched onto Ourian's shoulder, close to the throat, and started attacking violently with both fangs and claws. 

"NGH! While it's occu- OW - occupied, hit it!" Ourian commanded, with the element of surprise gone, Ourian was helpless until he could get the beast off of him. Struggle as he might, the beast kept latching back on harder and harder. It was determined to end this with one attack. Little did the beast know, however, is that Ourian has faced and slain many wolves on this floor., ones much stronger than this one... He wouldn't fall that easily. 

Spoiler

ID# 74398 results:

Battle: 2 (Failed)

Craft: 12

Loot: 4

MOB: 10 (Total Crit)

Spoiler

Ourian
HP: 80/80 (-2)

Bongartz
Energy: 2/2

Wolf
HP: 10/10

Battle Log     
> Wolf deals 2 damage to Ourian upon Total Critical.

Edited by Ourian
Spoiler

Battle: 7 (success)

Craft: 8

Loot: 4

MOB: 3

Spoiler

Ourian
HP: 78/80

Bongartz
Energy: 2/2 (-1)

Wolf
HP: 10/10 (-2)

Battle Log     

> Bongartz deals 2 Damage to Wolf

The wolf lunged at Ourian before either of us saw it coming, but thankfully, I had my hilt already in hand, unsheathing it and slicing towards the wolf as Ourian was already yelling at me to attack it.

*Damn it Jordan, you really need to learn to shut up sometimes, your own ineptitude just got the guy training you injured. Stab it now, while at least it's still.* I think quickly, wanting to apologize to Ourian while at the same time, not be distracted by the thought, so I say what the first thing was that came to mind.*

"Damn, my big mouth. Now, you let go of him with yours!"
With the wolf not really going far while attached to Ourian, I'm able to stab at it's side, but it merely turns to me and snarls, as I just made myself the bigger threat and it's new enemy. I hold my sword at the ready, while the wolf looks at me and prepares it's next strike, and I pray that the injury I inflicted is more than the mere scratch I fear it to be.

Edited by Bongartz

As the wolf shifted its focus to Bongartz, Ourian had the opportunity he needed to not only break free, but end this battle once and for all.

"Sorry Bongartz... but I gotta kill this one early..." Ourian said grimly as he got a foot under the wolf and pushed it off of him and away. Using the momentum from his feet swinging up, he kicked outward, springing himself upward and onto his feet, then darted forward before the wolf had the time to recover, drawing his sword back and activating a sword art as the blade glowed green.

"Congratulations... You pissed me off... Snake Bite!" Ourian shouted, piercing the wolf once as he stabbed it in the chest, then quickly pulled the blade out and spun around to slash down and to the right, then switched hands mid-combo to swing up and to the left for a final slash with his left arm, completing an "X" on the wolf's chest before he finished, sheathing his sword as the beast shattered into tiny fragments. Walking back over to Bongartz, Ourian pat him on the shoulder.

"Good assist, and not bad for a first battle... Next time, though... be a little quieter when trying to get the drop on something." He told him before walking away, then pausing before turning back around to face Bongartz. 

"Would you like to continue, or hold off for another day?"

Spoiler

ID# 74414 results:

Battle: 9 (Successful Critical)

Craft: 1

Loot: 20

MOB: 3-1 (Fail)

Spoiler

Ourian
HP: 78/80
Energy: 8/8 (-3)

Bongartz
Energy: 1/2

Wolf
HP: 8/10 (-9)
Hate: Bongartz 1 // Ourian 0

Battle Log     
> Bongartz deals 2 Damage to Wolf
> Ourian deals 9 damage to Wolf upon Sword Art: Snake Bite + Critical.
> Wolf is Deceased. (Killshot: Ourian)

Edited by Ourian

I merely watch in awe as Ourian slices up the wolf, and sheathe my own blade as it disappears, defeated. I look down at my feet though, as Ourian criticizes me for my big mouth.

"Yes, sir. I underestimated the ears of the wolf, it won't happen again. But if it's alright with you, I'd like to continue the training, as this was more of a demonstration on your part. All I did was get it's attention."

*Even though I didn't do much, I still learned much just by watching Ourian, if I can actually get into the fight next time, without needing him to instantly kill the monster, I might just be able to learn even more.*

I look into the sky, and realize how late it's getting, maybe only one or two hours until nightfall.

"We should have daylight for a little longer, albeit not much though, so if anything, it would be just one more battle before we should head back."

Not a hothead at all... Good sign... Ourian thought in relief as he, too, looked towards the sky to see that it was, indeed, getting towards late afternoon. As Bongartz had mentioned, they probably had a good two hours at most... Dusting his coat off, he crosses his arms and thinks about the situation.

Normally... I could keep going until late in the night... but with him with me, that's not a good idea until he gets stronger... Monsters are typically stronger at night, and the nocturnal variants tend to hunt in packs... If we got hit by a group of three or more, we would be in for a world of trouble... and I'm sure neither of us has a teleport crystal or a healing potion... Not to mention, from here it will take us around thirty to forty five minutes to get to the Town of Beginnings... After taking these details into account, Ourian had come up with two options....

"Okay... you want to keep going... that's fine... However, we only have enough time for one more, then we have to go back... I would rather not have to deal with the Nocturnals... They are significantly stronger than their daylight counterparts and tend to travel in packs. I wouldn't be able to guarantee your safety... At least... not at my current level..." Ourian said, the last few words full of disgust. He hated being so weak that others couldn't truly depend on him... "Let's go. There's usually a wolf or two by the lake."

Spoiler

+1 Energy recovered (6/8)
+3 HP recovered (80/80)

Edited by Ourian

I nod at Ourian as he explains the danger of being caught out at nightfall, caught off guard when he mentions his level isn't all that high.

*I wonder what level he is then, he seemed able to take down that wolf fast enough. No matter, we don't have much time, so I won't ask until we're back at town, if I remember.*

"I had a feeling that nightfall might be an issue, most games have the dark as the cue for all the big and bads to spawn, and you do not want to be caught in it. To the lake then, for a quick combat, then we'll return to the Town for the night. If you'll lead the way, as I'm not completely sure where the lake is?"

I step to the side slightly, so whichever way we need to go, I'm not in Ourian's path, and I can quickly follow, now with a determined expression not to get us caught out, or taken by surprise.