[PP-F10] Lower Your Volume <<Wail of the Banshee>>

Floor ten was something of a puzzle within itself. Back when he tried to get the tier 3 materials with Itzal, it turned out that despite the floor being the 20th, and despite him being able to assume that it was that extremely high… He was unable to get the tier 3 items. So on this floor, he was unable to do the same for tier 2 items. But that at least was something that somewhat made sense. What did not was the quest board that was showing him a very odd request, and it was called Wail of the Banshee. Apparently it can’t be taken where he was standing either, and so he was left staring at the description, trying to figure out what he should even do with it and what he could do. The rewards seemed decent, not the most skill points that he could obtain, but there was some regardless. So he was trying to figure this out.

@Hydra

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hydra looked up to the sky, only there was no sky. Just a looming darkness that lingered above. "So this is the famous underground cavern that makes up floor ten." The spearman said, there was a hint of intrigue in his voice, however, his expression was more one which matched disbelief and worry. "I can't even see the ceiling..." The spearman continued to stare as though something would happen, nothing did. Sighing Hydra glanced around, he had come to take a quest today but was struggling to remember where it would need accepting. Taking out his lunar light charm, he held the necklace up by the string. It shone brighter than he had seen before, although this place was absent of light, so it made sense. "Errr now which way was it?" Hydra spun around glancing at the various paths which led to various places. One of these would hopefully take him to a settlement. The other, he really didn't want to find out."I wonder if anyone is nearby?" The adventurer pondered. Steadily raising his spear and shield up towards his body, Hydra began to carefully traverse down one of the paths. "Hello?" He called out, his voice echoing in the cavernous system.

At that moment, a sudden familiar tone of voice would be revealed in the darkness, turning his head over towards that direction before summoning his spear in case he were wrong. The quest board here was not within a safe zone, so anyone could attack and reduce his health at this very moment. And if they were stronger than him, he was more than glad to fight anyways so that he could unleash a hell that a game could provide. But since it was a familiar voice, he was willing to give it a chance and open his map, seeing if it was a friend he might have known and added. If not, they best be prepared. But when he noticed that they were orange… But they also identified as a friend. And the tone matched up to the one person that did fit that description as well. So he would call out towards that direction. “Hydra?”

Hydra hadn't expected a voice to return so suddenly. What was more surprising was that voice matched his friend Sey. "Hi! Sey!" Hydra called out. Now the trouble was trying to find his friend. "Can you see the light?" Hydra spoke once more, now holding his amulet in the air and waving it about like a lunatic. For all, he knew his snow-haired friend could be at the other end of the cavern system. Opening up his interface he began to move towards the nearest green cursor. It was most likely Sey and it wouldn't be too long before he caught up to him. "May as well try to find some materials on the way," Hydra pondered looking at where he was stepping. Much like the ceiling what floor he could make out was mostly rock and rubble. If there was anything at all in this cavern Hydra guessed it'd be more down to luck of obtaining anything than being able to naturally find something. In any case now wasn't the time to go searching for more materials. He needed to get to Sey.

ID 74808:

Loot: 3 (fail) 

@Sey

Edited by Hydra

It turned out that he was correct, as the player killer just turned out to be a friend of his. There was no real threat trying to end his life, which in itself was surely a relief. No materials would pop up around him unfortunately, perhaps it was just too dark. Which was only okay at best, but he would love to get some items for his shop. But he did not have hectas bliss coat on him right now, so perhaps it would have been best for him to talk to his friend. "Yup, and I am sure every monster within the next kilometer is able to see it as well," Sey joked light. "Nice to see you again. Didnt need to get blood on my hands, the atmosphere makes you feel like you could be attacked at any moment. Not the most comfortable feeling to be honest. Have you heard of Wail of the Banshee? Check the quest out over at the board here. Perhaps your light is able to shine light onto something that I am missing" With that, he would point his free left pointer at the quest board he was trying to read before Hydra came along.

Edited by Sey

"Nice to see you to friend." Hydra responded heartily. "As for monsters seeing us, well... I wouldn't be surprised." Hydra laughed nervously. At least with two of them together, he felt that they were less likely to be ambushed by some monstrous bat or whatever else lurked in these caves. The brunette's hearing perked up as Sey mentioned the <Wail of the Banshee> quest. "Am I glad I found you, I happened to be up here to look into that quest. Wasn't sure how difficult it would be though." Hydra briskly moved over to the board, in almost a ghost-like fashion and raised his amulet just short of the quest board. "Does this make it any easier to read?" Hydra mumbled giving a quick glance over the description himself. The spearman felt a sense of fear crawling beneath his skin. Out of everything they had fought so far a banshee was the least mortal like in his perception, now he was here that fear was beginning to surface. "I would have turned tail and ran now if you weren't hear." Hydra said sincerely, in his usual light-hearted tone of voice. "It appears we will need to find out where that banshee resides though..." Hydra paused and mulled it over for a moment before turning his attention to Sey. "Any ideas?"

"Well... It would help a bit if I knew what a Banshee was really. That part has me the most confused of all. We need to find someone who at least knows... But that could be players, which we don't want to run into on this floor. Or it could just simply be... NPCs, but certain ones." He explained as he would hang his head down a bit, placing the palm of his left hand against his chin, thinking about what NPC types would know of this thing. Information blokers were in existence, but they charged a heavy amount for that sort of thing, and the amount of skill points offered was not that enticing. "If I had to guess, I think we need to find the elderly. They have more experience, but... Where could we find someone elderly outside of the safe zone, player killer or not, npc or not as well..." This was something he could not explain considering he had never been on this floor before, it was a puzzle to him.

Hydra also pondered how they should go about tackling this quest. However, he did have more of an idea as to what a banshee was, from folklore tales that he had heard as a child. "A banshee is the spirit of a woman, at least from folklore it was usually a young woman with unearthly beauty and was somehow cheated on in life, through murder for example." Hydra took a long pause trying to recall the tales. "In any case, I believe their spirit is so burdened by grief and anger towards whoever cheated them, that they become stuck in the mortal realm. Forever haunting and cursing the living, trying to find the one that cursed them, at least until they are defeated that is." Hydra gulped a little at the last part. His memory was still hazy on the whole subject. Sey would move on to suggest they find someone who could possibly guide them, Hydra nodded. "I suppose the only thing we can do for now is search, still if we can find an NPC who can tell us more that'd be useful."

"All right, then I think we can assume that a banshee probably is enraged right now then. We can't enter the safe zone and ask there for obvious reasons. Do you know any villages here outside of a safe zone by any chance?" This was the first time he had been on this floor. He was just relying on his partner to get the both of them out of there and too find something that could be considered their first step. In the meantime, he would open up the map to see what locations were around, but there seemed to be a special foggy effect from preventing him from seeing the other landmarks that they could consider. It seems like the both of them were in the dark for now with just one small source of light. And as long as they were careful and did not lose it, the both of them should be fine. With his increased accuracy as well, it probably won't be too hard to fight in the dark, just a little harder than usual.

"As long as its not the main settlement of the floor, most villages should be player killer accessible." Hydra said with a casual response. Turning his head the spearman looked around at the various paths they could travel down. "I guess we just pick and hope that we don't end up somewhere we shouldn't be." The spearman felt a little dopey as he said that. He was usually a cautious individual but they had practically nothing to go off. "Apparently if you always stick left in a maze you end up finding the center." Taking in a deep breath of air the brunette glanced to his left and then gave Sey a puzzled look, accompanied with a shrug. "Left it is." Hydra very carefully began to move off, moving at about half his regular pace. He may as well have been walking with his eyes closed, instead he decided to try and focus on his other senses. Listening out for whatever may try and jump out of the dark. His ears were met with various sounds, mostly dripping which Hydra guessed was water as well as scuttling that echoed throughout the cave. "Hopefully small bugs..." Hydra pondered.

Edited by Hydra

"Is there some reasoning behind that, because I don't get it at all. What makes the left so special?" It was a 50 50 chance regardless of the direction they took,, so to make it sound as if it were guaranteed to work... Not the most comforting thing for Sey to hear. Still, there was perhaps some missing link in his own reasoning rather than Hydra's. After all, they might have been able to find the village on the left side rather then the right. "They say that if you are able to find your way north, you can get out of anything. But that usually requires you to at least be able to see your surroundings. That was what I had been taught in orienteering... Not to mention..." He would drag his spear against the ground to create a line so they have a trail to follow back through in case they ended up getting lost. "Landmarking. It can save us from being lost and getting killed from out of nowhere."

"It isn't special, it just likes the flip of a coin." Hydra laughed. "Well, im also left-handed so I guess that's what I'm going off also." The spearman said glancing at his own spear. Sey had the smart idea of marking their tracks whilst Hydra led the way with the little light he had. "Yeah, who knows we could have been walking in circles for eternity otherwise." As the pair continued onwards not much happened. The cave was dull and quite boring after Hydra got over the sensation of sound. However, he did take note the cavern they were in seemed to be getting narrower. Eventually turning around a corner the spearman's eyes diluted as he caught his first glimpse of light on this floor. "I think there is something over here." He whispered back to Sey. The light wasn't bright like it would be in an NPC run settlement, it was more a murky green. As Hydra drew closer to it he realized it was moss which was illuminating slightly. Not too far up ahead a wooden shack stood still upon a hill of the stuff. "Err? What do you think, shall we take a look?" The house didn't look particularly inviting, but if there was even a chance that an NPC could live there it might be a consideration to check it out.

"It seems a bit too convenient. Makes you wannt barge in. But jokes aside, I think we can call this a part of the quest. Come on, let's get them." Sey would tell him before then knocking onto the door a few times, but then it opened up with no one on the other side. Whatever pulled it was definitely not there anymore, and however they got out of there so quickly was up to anyone. Sey would then whisper to Hydra. "Equip your weapon dude... We might end up on a ride that we don't want to be in in the first place if this is not the house we are looking for." He explained with his spear in hand, prepared to use it in case something or someone want to get into a battle or slam the door shut behind them. "Hello? Anyone home? I just wanna talk to ya." He made sure to mention himself only in case they don't know that Hydra was with him, it would make things easier for him if things went downhill.

What looked to be a kitchen knife suddenly shot out of the darkness and buried itself into the wooden wall near the pair of players. "What do you want?" An old voice croaked somewhere within the shadows. Hydra didn't really know how to react so he remained quiet and remained still near the entrance of the door. A few moments later an old crone came waddling out with a large frown on her face. She turned and stared directly to Sey with a piercing glare. Hydra who was still stood back at this point couldn't help but laugh slightly. "Go on Sey you got this." He pondered, turning around trying to muffle his own laughter. As for the woman she didn't take to kindly to that slamming the front door on the spearman's face. 

"Come, come ignore that fool." She croaked gesturing Sey into what appeared to be a kitchen. "Let me guess." She said, biting her wrinkled bottom lip. "You have come for information regarding certain quests." For an NPC she was awfully lifelike moving around the room chopping up vegetables and boiling some sort of soup.

The sudden knife being flung across the room would result in him lashing out his own spear towards the direction it had been thrown from, his feet braced to prepare himself for striking in case the assault actually aimed for him. But then the door would slam when Hydra told Sey that he got this, leaving the snow-haired player alone with the woman as she spoke to him. "You've guessed correctly. Do I need to ask the questions though? Or do you also already know what I need to know?"  Despite those two being questions, he was asking if he had to ask any more in order to get the information out of her. He did not mind really, but if the lady knew about players going to her house about a quest, he would most likely just get the information and the leave the premises before she tries to inject another knife into his skull. "Looking for a Banshee to be precise. It's a wailing one I'd like to assume."

Hydra sat outside his head resting in the palm of his hand. He assumed this was quest giver although was a little upset the door had been slammed in his face. "Guess I will just have to wait for Sey to come out," he mumbled staring off into the abyss of darkness. Meanwhile, in the house itself, the old NPC was indeed filling Sey in on the quest details. "Young adventurer." She said in the sinister tone. "All Banshee's wail, there screaming haunts the minds of men women and children." She paused moving over to some sort of photo. "Ah it was so unfortunate what happened to that poor sweet girl," It was almost as if the crone was designed to talk in riddles. Finally turning back to Sey she grimaced. "You must find her lair within the abyss of this floor, but be cautious." Her grimace broke out into an evil sort of laugh. One which Hydra could here from inside. "Venture foolishly you may end up losing your mind. Venture to well and you may end up finding the gates of Tartaros." As she spoke all the details of the quest seemed to log into the description itself, so even if his snow-haired friend had no idea what she was on about, it'd make more sense afterward.

Edited by Hydra

So they had to wander around aimlessly and hope for the best so that the banshee would arrive, that was basically all that he took from it. The "poor girl" probably was not going to be saved now, since the lady talked about her like she was a goner. "That's a very interesting way to put it. The gate of Tartaros, gotcha. Well, looks like I'm going to take my leave now. Make sure not to knife me on the back of my head on my way out now." With that, he left the premises and remembered where he was, the darkness. "Yo Hydra, come on. Let's go. And prepare to wander a little bit, the system is forcing us to walk through the fields until the gate appears. Perhaps it's just a matter of patience at this point. And while we are at it... Mind telling me where you are? I can't see a thing through this bloody darkness." Again his British half reveal itself through the accent that he emitted from his lips as he would look from side to side.

Hydra lifted up the small amount of light he had. "Really wish I made these items brighter." The spearman chuckled pushing himself off the floor. "I caught the gist of the conversation, well I also looked at the quest description once more. Seems we gotta find the banshee within Tartaros." Hydra felt his throat go a little dry as he mentioned that word. Much like the folktales he had heard, they didn't just contain stories of banshees and monsters. But also Tartaros. "Otherwise known as the gate to hell." The spearman proceeded to hold his amulet against his face, the eerie moonlit glow making him look like a vampire. He did it to try and add effect to the whole story. Not that it would scare Sey. Lowering his right hand he then took a long breath. "Well, I don't know where we will find the gates of hell. But I guess we should just try and wander like last time. Any other ideas?" He would ask Sey, before setting off with a slow pace. Hydra was acting a little more nervous than usual. After all, they had fought in both a cavernous volcano and in a flooded swamp. Yet the thought of entering hell itself was a little more extreme. "And I thought floor nine was the worst." Hydra laughed sarcastically.

"Well, the gate to hell probably can't be identified in this darkness. The only hope we have right now is to just stumble upon it. Though if anything is based on luck here, I don't mind walking around. But before we do that, do you have everything you need? We need to make sure to be prepared at all times before we end up departing from here, or we might end up with a nasty surprise." It was the monsters out in this floor that Sey was more worried about. They could end their existences right now if they wanted to if there was a huge amount of them that attacked. His accuracy build would allow him to land some hits, but then after that, he was just kind of useless. It did not matter though, the mitigation they had and the luck they had should keep them going. Sey had his stuff equipped, but now it was up to his friend to do the same before they ventured off to a  possible demise.

Hydra nodded. With a quick equipment check he made sure he had everything needed for the adventure. This time around the spearman would be taking his amulet, his shield and his weapon. The same suit he had had for the lord of the seas fight, whilst he nearly died he didn't quite meaning if this thing was any easier than that it was hopefully the optimized build. The fact the whole floor was dark as well meant the accuracy was certainly going to be of assistance in hitting his opponent. "All ready." Hydra smiled at Sey, not that his friend could make out his facial expression because of the dark.

The two began walking for a while, Hydra's eyes were constantly flickering about. He didn't want anything ambushing them. Certainly not a banshee. After a while a sense of dread, deeper than what the brunette had previously felt before began to linger in the atmosphere around them. "I think we are close to something." Hydra whispered to Sey. Up ahead a depressing looking building stood similar to that of a jail.

ID# 75167 results:

Loot: 17 (lol - Banshee lair found)

Edited by Hydra