[SP-F1] Tutorial <<The First Few Lessons Are Free>>

After struggling through problem after problem with this games system, Row was at her limits. Up until now, she has been learning everything as trial and error and it as really slowed down her progress in this game, at least that is what she tells herself. She skipped the tutorial when she first got into the game because she was just testing to make sure the game worked and was not buggy. After realizing she was stuck, she just started looking for treasure instead of learning how to play. Thinking back on it, she was pretty lucky not to die to half of the stuff she fought. She was lucky to find half the stuff she had. Today mark the end of that charade. Today, the great treasure hunter Row will officially do the games tutorial. The only quest now is what is there left to learn and will it be viable this late into the game?

Lvl 6

Spoiler

»Name: Dragon Scales
Enchantment:+2 LD
Search & Detect Rank 1

Edited by Row

According to the other newblets walking around, the tutorial quest is started by a man name Zakariah. Row never got his description but being a tutorial quest, it could not be that hard to spot him out of the crowd. As she looked around she saw players coming and going out of a shop. This was something typical for a successful player crafter but when she learned that an NPC owned the shop, she could just smell quest. She walked in to the show and waited for the crowd of future adventurers to thin out. She caught a glimpse of what she would learn was the the quest giver himself, Zakariah. A smile grew on her face as her search finally ended. She walked towards the man and waited her turn. There were not too many players ahead of her so she could spare a few minutes and let the people interact with him

The man looked old enough to be her grandfather and yet still he retain some traits which made her question that very label. Maybe father or uncle would act as a more proper title with his muscles and live in his movements. This contracted the wrinkle craved from what Row would perceived to be years of smiling and focus on a craft. Years would be a loose word given the game has not been operational but such logic has no place in the game. His hair appeared white but a closer glance revealed hues of yellow mix in with the over abounded white. His arms doubled hers in girth. It was clear that in his old age, he managed to stay physically fit and could probably wrestle a boar or two. Being in a fantasy universe, appearance was a terrible representation of strength. After all, Row had managed greater feats despite being short herself. 

"Girl, you seem new by the way you stare at me. Is this your first time interacting with a residents from this town?" called the man. Row shook her head, exiting her deep over analysis of the man. As she opened her mouth to respond, the man gave a hardly laugh and continued talking, "No need to be nervous child. Everyone has to start somewhere. Why I remember back in my day, I would... oh. Excuse me, I almost went on rambling. A bad habit of mind really. The name is Zakariah and I assume you are here to learn a little about being an adventure." Row nearly blanked out at how the man would not stop talking. Also, the man just straight up ignore her. Wait the man stopped talking. Finally she could speak. She opened her mouth, however he man was already responding. "That is the spirit. Let me give you a quest then. I promise to pay you well."

Edited by Row
  • 3 weeks later...

The only appropriate action Row could do was just to sign and accepted. As the quest window popped up, she reluctantly clicked yes. How hard could a tutorial quest be for a starting adventurer? She looked up at the man with her smile hoping to signal the quest instructions. As expected, the man started talking again and bombarding her with the instructions for how the loot feature works. After the explanation was complete, she sent her off to collect some materials. She quickly left the building to avoid any more talking. After running into the fields, she looked around for things that could be considered potion material. She has never searched for mats before so there was a chance she could mess up. After roaming around, she came across a patch of flowers. Surely, flowers would make great Mats for potions right? There was only one way to find out.

ID# 76623 results: Loot: 15 + 3 
Collect 1/5 mats

Edited by Row

Row reached down and pulled and pulled up some flowers. Then a window appeared and said she collected 1 out of 5 mats. She did not think it would be this easy since every mat she had has came from a mob or a gift from another player. This automatic system was 10 times easier then that and it was way less work. Row laughed and looked down to see more flowers growing in place of the old ones. If at first you do succeed, then try again to succeed more. That was probably not how the quote went, but she was sure that was how it would end after she was finished collecting the rest of the the mats for this quest. Looking down she noticed many different colors of flowers, some red, some blue, and some yellow. Since she picked the red one last time, she knew she would not want to pick it again.

ID 76626 Loot 5+ 3

Edited by Row

She reached out and picked up a blue flower. As it was uprooted from the ground, the color quickly faded and the flower died. She cried in protest but her problems were only just beginning. The rest of the flowers started to wilt and die off before she could grab them. Not even the red ones survive. Shortly after, another window opened in front of her saying that she failed to collect any mats, not that it was not obvious to begin with. After closing the window, another window appeared with a different boarder. As she looked at it, the old man's voice echoed in her head. "Sorry you failed. Gathering mats is a very difficult task. To ensure you still get the experience in a timely manner, I will share some of my luck with you." The flower patch below her that died bloomed again allowing her to try again. 

ID# 76650 results: Loot: 12 + 3
Collect 2/5 mats

Edited by Row

Row did not spare any time to wait for fear that the voice would come back. That was how some tutorials worked if a player stayed idle too long. Given that mans love of talking, she figure she had even less time. She reached down and swiped up a blue flower. A window appeared saying she succeeded in collecting the mat. She was surprised that it worked this time. That meant that it did not matter what color she choose, which was good. Picking only one color would be super boring anyway. With that in mind she looked at the last remaining color that she had not picked yet, yellow. With a grin she searched for a good flower that did not look like it was going to die, thinking she just chose a bad flower before. If she went for healthy flowers like that, she was bound to succeed right?

ID# 76679 results: Loot: 4+3

Edited by Row

After a few seconds of scanning the patch, she located the biggest yellow flower, to her. In "virtually" reality, they all were exactly the same size. She plucked it and was disappointed. The flower began to wilt and die on her. Following its death, the flower's brothers and sisters all died to. Row waited for the voice to return, but lucky for her, it didn't. Giving a sigh of relief she ran further into the fields and searched for more patches. Then a thought hit her. Could she only gather from patches of flowers? She scan the fields again, looking for anything else that stood out besides boars. All she saw was specks of dark green grass with specks of color over a sea of light green grass. Well, at least there was no shortage of mats in this area. Spotting one that was only a few feet away, she jogged to the patch in hopes of having better luck.

ID# 76680 results:Loot: 10+3
Collect 3/5 mats

Edited by Row

When she arrived at this patch, she noticed something different about these flowers. The colors of these flowers were not red, blue, and yellow but purple, white, and orange. Another thing that made the flowers stood out was the type of flower was different. These flowers resembled roses instead of the 5 petal daisy like flower. The awe factor died down pretty quickly due to her lack of care about flowers and she picked up the orange one. She paused waiting for the plant to died but it did not which meant that the window showing the results would appear any second now. There was a ping sound as the box appeared out of thin air. The flower disappeared and her mat count went up. Now all she needed to do was pick 2 more and she would be done with this quest. She looked down and tried to decide what color she wanted next.

ID# 76684 results: Loot: 12+3
Collect 4/5 mats

Edited by Row

It was decided. The next color she would go for was the purple one. It seemed like the most logical color choice because purple was the most pretty of the 3 colors. White did look decent if it was clean but the orange was just clashing to much with the green grass. This made the purple flower the most valuable. She picked the flower and waited the short time that the game kept her in suspense. Another ping signal the appearance of the window. Another success round of material gathering. Now all she needed was one more flower and her objective would be complete. Now that she had one of every color but white, the choice would be obvious. The only question now was, could she successfully pick the flower? The pressure was on. The stakes were high. Should she fail, she would have to run to another patch and risk hearing the mans voice again.

ID# 76686 results: Loot: 16+3
Collect 5/5 mats

Edited by Row

She picked the white rose like flower. Sweat ran down her face. Despite being a beginner question, she could feel the despair of failure. Whenever she was fighting a boar, the creature would magically become a dodging expert. The same could possible happen with the flower. Well, the flower would not dodge her but it could fail to be harvest. Every second went by like the hours in the day. Each day ends eventually though and so does every quest. The window popped up signaling that she was done with the mission. She cheered and dance as the beginner quest was finally complete. She was able to learn a new feature in the game and she was also able to pick flowers. Well, the picking of flowers was meh but for free experience, she would do it every day. Now all she needed to do was report back to the talking man and receive her reward.

As she walked back to the town, she realized a flaw in her logic from earlier. Sure if she failed she might have had to listen to the man, but she was sure to have to listen to a speech had she succeeded. She groaned as she walked to the gate. She groaned as she walked through the streets. She groaned as she walked up to his door. Lastly she groaned as he randomly just opened the door like some sort of horror movie. The only thing that was missing was rain, clouds, and some random lightning strikes. "Oh you finished the quest very quickly. You must be a very lucky kid. Well, let me see the materials you collected. Gotta make sure you grabbed the right stuff." Wait, he was going to make her turn in the materials? Her heart broke in two. To think she did all this hard flower picking for nothing.

She let out a sigh and then opened her inventory. Selecting the material out of her inventory, it just appeared in her hand. The man grabbed the bag and inspected thoroughly. It took a good 30 seconds tops. Row knew this because she wanted to count every second that the man did not talk. She would not dare interrupt him either. Finally, he finished and smiled. A thumbs up went into the air. "Good job adventurer, these are some of the finest specimens of flowers material I have ever seen. Now we can start practicing crafting. We will use Alchemy because it is very simple and useful." Row tried to interject because she did not want to be an Alchemist but the man just kept going. Row just accepted the fact that she was going to be at this man’s whim. Nothing she says will matter because this is a beginner quest for the most newbiest of newb.

All she could do was accepted it and wait for him to stop talking. Given how much she cared about the profession, she only got the bare basics required to complete the quest. Normally a player had a limited about of crafting attempts a day and each attempt used up one mat. Since he was teaching her, she would have an unlimited number of attempts in order to practice and get use to the system. In this system, there are varying degrees of success and the better your success, the better the item crafted. It took like a whole 10 minutes for this man to say all of this because he kept trying to be all friendly and tell stories. Time was money and he was wasting all of it. Pretty soon, she would have a birthday at the rate this quest was going. He eventually guided her to the crafting table and asked her to make a potion.

ID# 77130 results: Craft: 11
1/1 potion made

Edited by Row

Given what happened the first time she failed at gathering, she knew she had one chance to get out of this without hearing the man give extra speeches. She had to successfully craft a potion. If the man was not a walking word minigun, she would probably take this a little more seriously. She opened the quest to review the requirements one more time. All she had to do was successfully make a potion. It did not matter what kind, as long as it was a success. She grabbed the mats and threw them on the table. She the grabbed the bottle and poor some water inside. She threw the flower mesh inside the bottle and spun it with p-jazz. Finally she set it down and watched it glow. It was working! The game recognized her attempt to craft and was constructing the potion. Then it stopped glowing and a window popped up reading success.

Edited by Row

Before she could read the results, she felt strong arms grab her. She was hoisted into the air, "GOOD JOB. You made a perfect potion on your first try, you really have a knack for this. Do you want to be an alchemist?"

Absolute terror ran through her body, forcing her to tremble in fear. She did not light it when people just grabbed her and she hated it more when people just randomly picked her up. "Alchemy can be a very scary thing so I understand if you want to make your decision later. Just remember, once you pick something, you can never change it again." Well, thank you so much for your help. If you have any questions about anything we went over please ask now. Row giggle awkwardly before finally opening her mouth, "Can... you... you know... put me down?" The man let out a hardy laugh before lowering the girl.

Edited by Row

"Sorry about that little kid. It is just amazing how talented you are." He gave a smile that could melt the coldest heart. "Yeah and its amazing how much you can talk," responded Row under her breath. "I'm sorry kid, my ears are old, if you have a question please speak up." he finished with another chuckle, unaware of the fact that the comment was making fun of him. "Oh uhh nothing. I learned a lot Zakariah-sensei." The man patted Row's head before turning around back to the table. he picked up the potion and studied it. "I can surely see, I will keep this for now." Yet again, Row's hard work with just end up being free labor for the man. Her soul cried as the item was forever free from her inventory. She did not care much about the alchemy itself, but that hard work. She really hoped this quest would reward her efforts soon.

"That is great little adventurer. Now before you I just need you to do one last thing for me." Row nearly fainted. To think this man would want Row to do more task so he could hear himself talk. She had to decline, but she really wanted to finish the quest. "See, a friend of mine ask me for some supplies and I am much too busy to just go over there myself." Row's eyes lit up with hope. "Ok I will do it!" The quest updated in her quest log and she swiped the package. She was so happy that she did not have to hear the man spew more nonsense and useless information. She quickly left the building and started running around town. Her quest log mentioned she had to find a guy named Lyle's work shop. Without knowing what kind of shop it was, this task could become very difficult. Maybe this was one of those times where she should have listen to the man. Everything was fine though, for she was a treasure hunter. She could find anything and everything if she put her mind to it.

Well it was very difficult. Row kept reading the quest long over and over looking for clues. She checked the merchants market. She checked the alchemy market. She check the fountain. This man was nowhere to be seen. She did not want to ask a noob about the location because she had her pride. She choose not to listen to the man. Now she was suffering for it. Finally she returned to his shop and sat down on the porch. She let out a sigh only to look up and see this big old sign that read, "Lyle's Workshop." It was right in front of her the whole time and she just missed it. She banged her head on the wall and took one damage. She walked across the street to the mans shop. "Deleiver for Lyle-sama," 

A voice much weaker then Zakariah greeted her, "Come in. Thank you. Do you think you would have time to help an old man out?"