[1F - SP] DHA 1: The Emerald Hatchling [Completed]

Spoiler

ID# 76459 results:

Shield: 380/380 HP, Battle: 5 - miss, -2 NRG +1 NRG
Craft: 3 - +0 NRG

Net: -8 NRG

Emerald Hatchling: 6/125 HP,  MOB: 5 - Miss
Loot: 13 - No rawr

The hatchling was still too far ahead to risk an actual attack, but with each change of direction, Shield was able to anticipate its movements a little more and cut off a few inches of its lead. The creature gasped and growled with its tiny lungs, flapping its wings to try to pull further ahead, but only managing to stumble over the spindly appendages.

His moment nearly within reach, Shield put on the afterburners, doubling over further as he ran to increase his tilt and maximize each kick he made off of the ground as he ran. With a great heave, he pushed himself forward, slamming his spear into the ground just in front of the retreating dragon. Although the point missed, it was close enough that the creature actually ran into the side of the spear, its long, thin body crumpling like an accordion against it.

"Got you now!" Shield taunted.

Edited by Shield
Spoiler

ID# 76460 results:

Shield: 380/380 HP, Battle: 6 - Hit! 3 dmg - 25 Mit = 1 dmg, -1 NRG +1 NRG
Craft: 6 - +0 NRG

Emerald Hatchling: 5/125 HP,  MOB: 5 - Miss
Loot: 20 - Rawr!

Turning back towards Shield, the dragon reared up, opening its mouth wide.

Of course. It's cornered again. Why would it not try it?

Its pitiful, pleading roar sounded out from its tiny mouth. This time, Shield had seen it coming, though, so the shock was less frightening than it was saddening. There he was, standing over his daughter as she clung to his leg.

I'm sorry, honey. It's not your fault that mommy and I had a fight. You and your sister are still the best thing that ever-

"No!"

Pulling himself out of the memory, Shield checked the crying dragon across the jaw, sending it reeling as another pixel trickled away from its disappearing health. The tiny body flopped onto the ground and rolled, scrambling against its momentum to regain its feet.

"I'm wise to your games now," Shield said calmly, advancing once again on the tiny emerald hatchling.

Edited by Shield
Spoiler

ID# 76461 results:

Shield: 380/380 HP, Battle: 2 - Miss, -2 NRG +1 NRG
Craft: 10 - +1 NRG

Emerald Hatchling: 5/125 HP,  MOB: 5 - Miss
Loot: 8 - No rawr

Shield swung again, missing the creature by inches as it recovered and dodged around the spear. It snapped at Shield's foot, but immediately recoiled before striking, remembering what likely lay in store the next time it managed to land a blow.

"I doubt you're aware of the effects of your little roar, but it doesn't matter," Shield said, continuing to pursue as the dragon turned and tried to flee.

He struck the ground in front of it, cutting off its escape route.

"You've lost your edge. You don't surprise me anymore. You may be hard to hit, but it's only a matter of time."

He swung again, and again, the dragon dodged out of the way. Shield glared down at the dragon, eyeing it with disdain at the underhanded tactics that a once so proud enemy had stooped to using against him.

"Fine. If you will not accept the outcome gracefully, I shall drag you there kicking and screaming."

Edited by Shield
Spoiler

ID# 76463 results:

Shield: 380/380 HP, Battle: 10 - Hit! 3 + 2 = 5 dmg - 25 Mit = 1 dmg, -1 NRG +1 NRG
Craft: 8 - +0 NRG

Emerald Hatchling: 4/125 HP,  MOB: 5 - Miss
Loot: 13 - No rawr

Taking time to focus his aim, Shield turned his spear over and swept with the flat of his spear like a golf club. The angle and the motion of the spear caught the dragon by surprise, and with a clang of metal on scales and a flash of emerald, the dragon was lifted off of the ground and sailed through the air, its health dripping away a little more.

Knowing better than to give it time to recover, Shield immediately ran after it, narrowing his eyes as his focus remained trained on the airborne fledgling. It landed and rolled several yards from where it had unwittingly taken off, limping as it attempted to support its weight. Its tiny face turned towards Shield, and seeing the large, dangerous opponent close in on it so quickly, it stumbled. Its scrambling feet attempted to keep their footing, but it was no longer collected in any measure. It was in full panic, desperate to put as much space between itself and Shield as possible.

Edited by Shield
Spoiler

ID# 76468 results:

Shield: 380/380 HP, Battle: 8 - Hit! 3 dmg - 25 Mit = 1 dmg, -1 NRG +1 NRG
Craft: 7 - +0 NRG

Emerald Hatchling: 3/125 HP,  MOB: 3 - Miss
Loot: 12 - No rawr

Seeing that it was no longer in any condition to continue fighting or even to beat a proper retreat, Shield took advantage of its fumble. Winding up with his last step, he swung again, connecting again with the little, increasingly frail body, which once again flew through the air and landed against the grassy ground of the plains.

Opening its mouth, it failed to produce any effective sort of call, instead only managing to shriek in terror as Shield once again bore down on it. It scrambled and struggled and tripped over itself, almost beginning to look more like a living knot than any sort of actual creature let alone an actual field boss. Shield could barely even see its health anymore.

"You're not really a baby," Shield said sternly as his feet thudded closer and closer on the firm ground. "You're just ones and zeros. Code. You're not a poor little creature in need of a parent like your deceptive little call would lead a parent to think. I don't appreciate being manipulated."

Edited by Shield
Spoiler

ID# 76469 results:

Shield: 380/380 HP, Battle: 7 - Hit! 3 dmg - 25 Mit = 1 dmg, -1 NRG +1 NRG
Craft: 6 - +0 NRG

Emerald Hatchling: 2/125 HP,  MOB: 1 - Miss
Loot: 5 - No rawr

As the many feet of the fleeing lizard kin continued to trip over themselves, Shield drew back his makeshift club and struck again, sending the tiny body spinning and skipping along the ground. Only the smallest corner remained of its health. He could see the end in sight.

I definitely need to come better equipped to these fights. I can handle them, but they take much longer than they should.

The tiny flank of the creature rose and fell, the feet not even bothering to try to stand, even as Shield approached and stood over it. He aimed his spear, preparing to strike properly as it held its position. One bright, emerald eye looked at him, semi-glossed over already.

Interesting... have you accepted the inevitable now? I would not have thought that possible, but here it is, just waiting for me to finish it off. This game continues to surprise me.

Edited by Shield
Spoiler

ID# 76470 results:

Shield: 380/380 HP, Battle: 3 - miss, -2 NRG +1 NRG
Craft: 11 - +1 NRG

Emerald Hatchling: -12/125 HP,  MOB: 8 - Hit! 50 dmg - 34 Mit - 27 Regen = 0 dmg, (Thorns: 14) [DEAD]
Loot: 7 - No rawr

As he drew back his spear, the game had one more surprise in store for him. With a lurch, the dying dragon swung its tail into Shield's side. Emitting one final cry, the creature's last remaining health disappeared, and with a flash of scarlet and a drifting away of particles on the wind, so too did the dragon itself.

Shield looked up, taking a deep breath and letting the tension melt away from his shoulders. To his surprise, he had launched the tiny beast almost all the way back to its own nest, and as the victory window sprang to life in front of him, the tiny glimmer of emerald behind the nest glinted and vanished in a bright flash of green, the same color that he had seen a moment ago in the hatchling's eye.

At first, he worried that the gem had been spirited away by bad programming, but in the rewards window, there it was, listed among the little bit of Col that he had won. Closing the windows, in front of him, Shield turned and made his way back towards the Town of Beginnings.

I suppose I should have expected more fight out of a field boss, even on floor one. I'll need to be more cautious as I venture further out.

[Quest Rewards]

2 SP (1 quest reward, 1 thread length)

900 Col (500 quest reward, 1 thread length)

<Rhaegal’s Emerald> [Vanity Quest Item] : 1 of 9, collect all 9 and meet whom that waits before you, only then will you get the grand prize.

Edited by Shield