[PP-F9] A New Friend <<Feeding the Enemy>> (Itzal)

The ninth floor. The last time that she was on this floor had been a unique experience. In fact, it wasn't even that long ago since she had been on this floor. The results of her arrival on this floor were the death of several bandits that were threatening the safety of the town folks living around the small villages on this floor. Now that she managed to defeat all of them with another player, she found it highly unlikely that bandits will come back. However, this is an RPG game and things do respawn. Even if they do though, there are plenty of players who have yet to finish up that quest and it would certainly serve them well to defeat these bandits. The safety of these towns is definite. Now, she was not here for the sake of these bandits or for any of the villages. She was here for a familiar and she was here for a particular one. She wasn't just interested in any of the familiars, instead, she wanted one of the rarest. 

This floor is populated by different Phoenix, and while they all have different personalities, they all share a common trait - color; they all share the same, red fire feathers that make them so recognizable to the players even if they are complete newbs. She didn't want those. She wanted one different from the rest. One with blue flames and blue aura dominating the atmosphere. Recently, a group of players has spotted a blue-colored Phoenix around the volcanic area, but it flew away when the players approached it. It is an animal and it is surely able for players to tame it. Now is the best time for her to get a familiar and with the news of this strange finding, she will tame the rare blue Phoenix. Of course, she couldn't do it without some help and one of the most famous scouts in Aincrad's name is current on her friend's list. And soon to be on her married list once they are prepared for <<Saying Vows>>. Kasier giggled and sent Itzal a message. 

Spoiler

To: Itzal

Hey Itzal. Do you mind coming up to the ninth floor and helping me out with getting a familiar? If you can, please bring some items along with you that can make this easier. Thanks!

@Itzal

Itzal was out training as usual, desperately trying to catch up with Fearx and take him out so he wouldn't need to worry about him in the future.  Especially since he hoped to have Kasier in his future.  And until he got rid of Fearx, the armored man would be doing all he could to throw Itzal off.  He knew it.  How could he not?  He and Fearx had been enemies for years.  They had reached a point where they knew everything about the other.  It was only a matter of time.  And with Fearx returning, Itzal was slowly making his way into his old gaming habits.  That's when he received a message from Kasier.  He leaped back and stabbed his blade into the ground, letting the boar run right into it.  The monster looked up, confused, only to see Itzal giving it the signal to hold on while he checked the message.  Apparently Kasier would like his assistance to help her find a familiar, and bring items if he could.  He looked at the boar after closing it.  "Can we wrap this up?  My fiancé needs me."

After dropping by the shop and Sey's own shop, he made his way to and through the ninth floor, following her coordinates.  Soon enough Velnia spotted her, shooting towards the blonde haired woman and curling up on her shoulder, nuzzling against her cheek.  Itzal smiled and waved to her.  "Hey Kasier!  How've you been?"  He walked over and held out the two items. 

Spoiler

Name: Codex Shake
Profession: Cook
ID:  86845
Roll: 10 + 2 = 12
Item Type: Drink
Tier: 3
Quality: Perfect
Enhancements: +3 LD
Description: Made by a guy who put on glasses. It makes you feel smarter, or at the very least, far more observant. And the world grants luck to the intelligent!

Name:  To the Ends of the Earth
Profession: Performer
ID: 86832
Roll: 12  <11+2>
Item Type:  Attraction
Tier: 1
Quality: Perfect
Enhancements:  +1 LD when searching for a familiar
Description: 

"Brought you some items.  So floor nine eh?  What type of familiar are you shooting for?"  @Kasier

Kasier smiled when she saw Itzal approaching her standing location in the distance. Although the man had not replied back the message that she sent him, she was sure that he would come to her assistance without trouble. And, of course, she was correct in her assumption. Itzal managed to find her location and come to her in less than half an hour, which she was delighted for. However, it was not Itzal who greeted her first, it was Velnia who had done that by speeding towards Kasier at full speed. At first, she thought it was some sort of projectile that was targeting her but soon, after feeling the nuzzling on her right cheek, she realized that it was the dragon who had so hurriedly greeted her wordlessly. Kasier giggled and greeted Velnia back with "Nice to see you too, Velnia." Kasier looked away from Velnia to see that Itzal had finally come to speaking distance.

"I've been good. I don't see a point in asking that though. It's not like we don't see each other every day or something." Kasier said sarcastically, "Well, how are you, then? What were you up to this morning?" She asked before giggling in response to making contact with Velnia's scales once more. "Well, uh. Have you heard the rumors from a few players about seeing a blue Phoenix around these parts? Well, I'm trying to get him as a familiar. It's going to be hard and time-consuming, but I think it will be worth it. But with a few items, it should make it easier." Kasier exclaimed, glancing at the items that Itzal brought her.

@Itzal

Edited by Kasier

Itzal chuckled with a little red on his cheeks upon her sarcastic comment.  As much as it was sarcastic and meant as a joke, he should probably find a better way to greet her.  Walking up and saying 'Hi' and kissing was out of the question.  He'd be too embarrassed to kiss her all the time in public, and he was willing to bet the same thing would be playing in her mind should the thought arise.  Still, he'd come up with something eventually.  When she asked him what he was up to he shrugged.  "Just grinding monsters is all.  I'm trying to get my level up due to a certain.....  Never mind, I'm not here for that I'm here for you."  the more he forgot about Fearx the better.  Especially around his fiancé...  It still felt weird for him to say that, even in his mind.  He never expected that he, Felix, would ever in his entire life, find his soulmate...  Ever.  Yet God moved in mysterious ways.  She explained what type of familiar she was hoping to get and her description grabbed all of his attention.  "A blue phoenix?  Well that certainly is interesting.  I wonder if it's flames are stronger than most.  Typically, blue fire is stronger than red.  And white fire is stronger than blue.  White fire is nearly impossible to obtain however, and can't be seen it's that hot."  She mentioned how it would be time consuming and he smiled.  "You were patient with me in finding Velnia.  I'll be patient with you here.  Why wouldn't I be?"

@Kasier

Kasier's eyes twitched slightly in response to Itzal's decision to suddenly cut off what he was about to say. She didn't exactly know how to react when people do this sort of thing because she didn't know whether they were seeking for a response or simply did not want to share what they had originally planned to. Normally, she would assume the second option, but since this was Itzal, Kasier would simply assure that he is free to talk about whatever he wants to. "Hey, don't forget that I'm here for you as well. Don't make it sound like you are always taking care of me. I'm here to listen if you ever have something on your mind." Kasier smiled. She then thought back to when she had gone on that journey with Itzal. Back then, she wasn't even sure if she had started to build a relationship with him. She couldn't recall... Indeed, it had been such a long time that it has slipped from her memories by now. She could recall wolves and fights but that was about it - oh... And a bad tempered Itzal that he later explained to her who that particular one was. "Well, I don't think we even found it on that trip. It was a failed mission if I remember correctly, and you had to go on a different time to finally get yourself a familiar that you wanted. I really wasn't that patient." Kasier exclaimed, pointing at her chin as she tried to remember certain details from that particular time. "Besides, that doesn't matter now. Now that you are here, you better not leave until we find this familiar. Okay?" Kasier smirked as she opened her inventory and used up one of the items that Itzal had given her.

- Codex Shake

@Itzal

• 2 weeks later...

Itzal listened to Kasier tell him that he was free to say anything he wished to.  He pondered it.  Whether or not he should tell her that whenever he wasn't with others he was pushing himself on all gears to grind his level up in order to gain the skills and mods he needs to defeat an old enemy who would surely ruin their lives if they left him alone?  That it was pretty much the focus of his thoughts half of the day?  How would she react?  Call him stupid for giving Fearx any thought?  Despite his level and personality?  While he was thinking about this, Kasier began to speak on a different topic, answering his next statement.  He gave a light laugh.  "True, but that event still took a good while all the same didn't it?  Most people would have given up sooner or later...  I wonder how Varx is doing lately."  She insisted on focusing on the here and now which he agreed with, and that they would not leave until they found the familiar.  Itzal chuckled.  "I hope not, or those items have gone to waste.  Oh, here,"  He said while opening his menu.  He switched his gear to Niger Natio and handed Kasier his Twilight Cloak.  "You only need to put the coat itself on for the bonus to work."  He pulled down his hood and mouthpiece, allowing his face to be visible.  He almost never used the hood and mouthpiece when with others any more, only using it while soloing.  He looked at Velnia.  "What do you say girl?  Ready to make a new friend?"  Velnia started shooting all over the area, seeming to bounce off invisible walls and doing loop the loops.  He looked to Kasier with a smile.  "I take that as a yes." 

@Kasier

Kasier watched as Velnia appeared to be absolutely buzzing from the possibility of meeting someone like her - a familiar that she can interact with. Sure, Kasier couldn't guarantee that the familiar will be as outgoing as Velnia but she was sure that she'll find one that she absolutely loves and she won't stop until that particular familiar is found by her. With a smile, Kasier accepted the twilight cloak and holding up a finger to indicate for Itzal to hold on, she dodged behind a volcanic rock of some sorts and changed into the armor that Itzal had given her. While Itzal was comfortable changing in the public like that, Kasier wasn't. Surprisingly, the cloak suited her quite well with her starter clothes underneath it, preventing any sort of accidental reveal of body parts. Kasier nodded, satisfied with the cloak before walking out and fixing her hair really quick. "Well, surprisingly, I guess I'm able to wear your cloak. Not too big, just a bit short actually, now that I think about it. Probably because I'm taller than you slightly." Kasier exclaimed, looking into the distance as she did so. "So, uh, where do you think a rare phoenix would hide? I don't know about you, but I would hide in the heart of a volcano... Right in the depths of the heat where most people would be too lazy reach. What do you think?" Kasier asked.

Unequipped Oblivion; Equipped Twilight Cloak

@Itzal

Edited by Kasier

The main reason Itzal had no problem changing in public was because when you used the menu to switch equipment out it was instantaneous.  Nothing was shown as the process was faster than the eye could catch.  It didn't really make much sense to him, everyone taking everything off and putting something else on like you did in real life.  He preferred to take advantage of the game's systems whenever he could.  He wondered if habit would insist him wearing purple trench coats in the real world once he returned.  When Kasier came back he saw that she put on the entire outfit.  He was a little surprised, as he only meant the coat, but still.  She look rather good in it.  He smiled at her joke.  "Eh, I don't notice much of a difference.  Ariel was the one who made it, way before she, went dark or whatever it is that happened.  Despite her personality today, she's really good with making clothing."  Kasier then asked him where he believed the phoenix might be and he put a closed hand to his lips as he thought.  He heard her words and nodded.  "Definitely somewhere warm.  However I would expect there to be plenty of room to fly, as well as several exits in case it needs to flee.  Phoenix' tend to be clever and smart, so we'll need to find an area, most likely a volcano, with a cavern like area on the inside.  Maybe a lake of lave with several stone islands and cliffs or something of that manner."

@Kasier

ID: 87455
LD: 18+6=24 (Darn why couldn't this be my familiar search)

"Dark? Huh? I didn't hear about this. What happened to Ariel? I've heard of her participation in the front lines but I've never really interacted with her." Kasier always though that Ariel was one of the good guys on the front lines, but apparently she was quite wrong in that aspect. Of course, Kasier would not know as much about the players in the front lines as Itzal since she had only participated in one boss battle while Itzal has been participating in every single one. Well. Reminds me to get up there faster or else I won't be able to heal him up if he's low on health. Kasier thought, clutching her fists as she thought so. Especially since he's so fragile. Kasier sighed, listening to Itzal but only catching the end of what he said about where to find Phoenix areas.

"Well, since I have your cloak now, I guess I can use it to my advantage while I still have it. I'm gonna see if I can get some tier one materials. You can never get enough of them, can you?" Kasier exclaimed, looking on the ground and with a slight movement in her eyes, she was able to spot a molten rock that can be used for materials right in front of her. This game really does make it easier if you have good stats. She decided, bending down and picking the molten rock so she can add it into her inventory of materials. "Alright, let's just go to one of the bigger volcanoes and see what we find so we can go from there."

T1 Materials: 1

@Itzal

Edited by Kasier

"There was an event and during it, she challenged every authority there, and according to Hikoru, she killed Lowenthal.  I, don't know who he was but it was clear that he was important to Hik, because he broke up with Ariel right then and there, publicly and very angrily.  Ever since, she's been snide and other's have even said unhinged.  She's dangerous would be the bottom line."  Itzal didn't like what he had seen that day.  Even if her murder was not actually true, her personality and attitude had made a complete turn around.  From the nice and kind woman to a ruthless, cold hearted rebel.  He wished she hadn't changed, but there wasn't anything he could do.  In the end he simply had to avoid her.  Zandra seemed to remain by Ariel's side most of the time, but Itzal didn't think she turned dark.  Or at least he was hoping that.  "She still fights on the front lines and helps us advance, but nobody trusts her any more.  She doesn't listen to plans or instructions, she just does her own thing, ignoring what it might do to others."  Itzal followed Kasier toward the first volcano.  As he did he chuckled.  "No you cannot.  Especially when there are other players who need them so badly.  If I used a consumable to collect materials, I'd probably reach two hundred within no time at all." 

@Kasier

ID: 87492
LD: 2+6=8

Kasier sighed, "Geez. All this drama and transformations. No matter everyone is so tense all the time. Seems like people don't trust each other anymore." Kasier exclaimed. "Kind of makes me wonder: What would happen if I managed to kill someone someday? How would you think? Would you be like Hikoru or would you act in a different way?" Kasier paused and then grinned, "Not that that would happen anyway. Just something for you to think about." Kasier looked around, checking to see if any materials came their way during their journey to the volcanic land which holds a variety of different phoenix of different types and sizes. Unfortunately, it seems that Kasier had been unsuccessful in her attempt to find a material this time. "Even with the boosts, I still can't find a material every single time. Geez, sure shows the difference between an amateur and a professional, huh? And stop bragging about your material finding skills. We all know that you can materials without even looking around. It seems that materials sometimes find you instead of the other way around." 

Materials: 1

@Itzal

Edited by Kasier

Itzal nodded.  "Yeah that's pretty much how it is.  The front liners either don't trust each other, want to be better than the other, or act entirely out of greed and selfishness.  It doesn't mean they're all bad people, they just don't know how to really work together.  Hikoru seems to be becoming more and more distant.  It's nearly impossible to reach him anymore."  He truly was growing worried for Hikrou.  Then Kasier said something that was utterly ridiculous in the sense that he doubted it would ever happen.  He wasn't sure how to react to it however.  Technically he wouldn't hate or fear her.  He would simply feel sorry for her, as well as feel extremely sad that the one he loved had fallen to such a state.  In the end he would tell her the truth.  "I'd be sad mainly.  I would still love you for who you were and try to bring you back."  He kissed Kasier on the cheek and smiled.  "However I agree that it most likely will never happen."  When she spoke again he was surprised to hear that he was bragging.  He had thought, with his robotic like mind (pun on Itzal) that with her LD stat just one point below his usual number, she might understand what he meant and they could talk about something.  However it was clear to him now that he should avoid the topic altogether.  Another sign of his inability to speak or act correctly in a social world.  "Your right, I'm sorry."

@Kasier

ID: 87631
LD: 11+6=17

Kasier sighed, "Yeah, I'm just trying to start conversation. You know I would never kill despite my coldness in public sometimes. These things are quite interesting to think about though. You think you'll ever kill a player. What if someone was attacking me? Would you protect me even if it means you might become a player killer? Of course you would. What am I saying?" Kasier giggled, knowing exactly what Itzal would do if she was under danger. "And don't sound so down. It was a joke. You gotta brag about your perks sometimes, you know? It's good for the soul." Kasier finished talking nonsense before she spotted another lava rock that she placed into her inventory. The luck boost was definitely helping her out quite a bit at this point as out of the three material gathering attempts, she had managed to obtain two materials, a record that she would be extremely proud of if she didn't have this material gathering/luck boost. 

"Well, seems like we are quite close to the volcano. Let's head inside?" Kasier said, blushing a bit after getting an initiative kiss of affection on the cheeks from Itzal.

Materials: 2

@Itzal

Edited by Kasier

Itzal heard her sighed and knew he screwed up somewhere.  He listened to what she had to say before responding.  "I'm sorry about that.  I knew you were joking, I just, didn't know how to respond to that kind of suggestion," He said with a chuckle.  "And yes.  If it means protecting someone from dying, or self defense, I believe one should be willing to take that step.  I wouldn't enjoy it or be happy with it, but it's a necessary step when that extreme is reached."  He heard her talk about how he had to brag about his perks at times and turned to look at her.  Didn't she complain about him talking about his scout skills a few minutes ago?  He grinned.  "Sorry.  I really don't know much about what's right or wrong to say or act in these situations."  He really needed to start learning social cues as well as what was funny.  He didn't have a good grasp on the concept of humor after all.  Never had.  He had always been far too serious before SAO.  He needed to loosen up a little.  He nodded upon her final sentence.  "Yeah.  Hopefully we'll get your familiar sooner rather than later."

@Kasier

ID: 87712
LD: 7+6=13 [Nupe]

Kasier continued to walk as the conversation got just a tad awkward. Her attempt to drive a good conversation managed to fail as the topic of player killing was brought up. She made a mental note to herself to never talk about that again as it was definitely a sore topic for Itzal. Kasier sighed, walking on with pace in hopes that she will be able to find her familiar soon enough. After entering the volcano through the top and proceeding from the ledges down to the base of the volcano, Kasier spotted a blue phoenix simply resting on the floor of the volcano that surrounds the bubbling lava. "Be careful. I don't know about you but I've never touched lava before and I don't want to find out what it is like to make contact with it. Let's proceed slowly." Kasier suggested, putting her back against the wall of the volcano and walking slowly to make progress towards the blue phoenix.

As soon as the two placed their foot on the hot volcanic floor, the phoenix jolted awake, directly facing the intruders of his home and realizing that he was under threat. With a loud, alarming yell, he flew up in the sky along with several red phoenix that had followed the alarming call. At first, Kasier prepared to defend herself. However, soon she realized that the party of phoenix were running away from the two players. "Alright, time to run. Follow them!" Kasier yelled, turning and running up from where they came from.

@Itzal

Edited by Kasier
  • 2 weeks later...

Itzal heard Kasier sigh but when he turned to look at her she had that face again.  The 'I've thought about it and I'm not going to let you read anything else off of my face' face.  It usually meant there was something on her mind, but she had reached a conclusion and thus would keep anyone, even Itzal, from reading her any further.  When she was like this Itzal knew to just drop it and give her some space.  Just because they loved each other didn't mean they had to have some space from each other.  Everyone needed space.  As humans cursed with a sinful nature, if there wasn't a pace and time away from each other, love could grind into frustration and stress.  At the same time, they needed to put their trust, faith, and love in God first.  Itzal believed that was the key to a healthy relationship.  They entered the volcano and Itzal listened to Kasier, nodding to her.  "You hear that Velnia?  Stay clear of the- dagnabit."  Itzal said as he watched Velnia dive in and out of the lava, swimming in it as if it were any old lake.  "You think she gets cocky because she's a dragon?  Or because she knows the system has her back?"  He asked Kasier with a chuckle before following her closely.  Then the phoenix awoke and gave a cry of alarm.  Itzal saw the phoenix' flying away from them and Kasier told him to follow the phoenix'.  Itzal nodded and ran beside Kasier.  He could easily have passed his girlfriend and, maybe, have caught up to them.  However he knew the system would not let the mission be a success if he was the one who caught them.  It had to be Kasier.

So he ran beside Kasier towards the phoenix party, Velnia flying with them.  Her eyes dazzled as she wondered which of these marvelous creatures would be Kasier's familiar, and her new best friend.  Itzal didn't have his hood and mouthpiece up, but he was still covered entirely from the rest of the armor, or in other words from the neck down.  He wasn't sure if the armor effected the reaction of the monsters or not but he was hoping it wouldn't.

@Kasier

"Probably a bit of both," Kasier responded when she was asked whether she thought that Velnia was diving into lava to show off or because she knows that the game has a protective system for her. It was a rushed response though as she was quickly led to slowly chase the pack of phoenix that flew away from her grasp. She was quite slow, in all honesty due to the fact that she didn't invest a single point into the scout class and her heavy armor which weighed on her, dragging her and preventing her from using her already inexistent speed to her advantage. While she was sprinting as fast as she could, Itzal looked like he was just jogging alongside her while she was giving it all. Kasier sighed, stopping after a while of chasing after she realized that the distance between the two players and the fire birds is becoming longer and longer.

"Alright, s-stop for a bit." Kasier said, bending down and placing her hands on her legs as a habit. She took a few quick breaths and soon managed to regain her normal breath again. "Sorry 'bout that - I know I'm slow. Guess you're going to have to deal with it, haha," Kasier chuckled a bit, "Alright, do you have any skills or mods that let you see stuff from a long darn distance away? That would be useful right now." Kasier suggested.

@Itzal

Itzal nodded in agreement with her statement as they ran.  His scouting eyes scanned the area ahead of the phoenix' looking for any sort of path or direction they were most likely to take.  However they were quickly speeding up and getting out of range.  So, what Itzal decided to do, was memorize the single phoenix that Kasier was targeting.  More specifically, it's name.  If he had that, they could find it anywhere, even if it found it's way to floor twenty one.  Soon enough he noticed Kasier breathing heavily and was about to ask if she'd like to take a break, and that he had a plan, when she suddenly called it off.  He slowed and slopped, waiting patiently for her to catch her breath.  "Nah don't be sorry.  Everyone is different and we took different paths, each of us with our own set of skills needed in this game...  Yours more needed than my scout skills, heh."  He stretched for a moment before she asked about his skills and he nodded dutifully.  "Detection and reveal both help in that area.  Detection helps increase the range of my sight while reveal allows me to see through solid objects.  But I've got an even better skill than those.  I've got, the tracking skill,"  He said as he opened his menu and selected the skill.

He watched as the little slot for the name, putting the letters in that made up the familiar's current name and clicked enter.  When he did he could see the residue of the mob's aura in the sky, and a trail leading toward where it had went.  He smiled.  "Yeah, they aren't going to be leaving our sight for some time now...  Velnia!  Quit showing off and come over here!"  Velnia poked her head out of the lava and grinned, flying into the air, shaking off the lava, and shooting back over to them, landing on Itzal and licking him.  If it weren't for survival and the fact that players couldn't feel pain, he would have been in trouble.  But it seemed the system was protecting him too...  In a way.

@Kasier

Kasier didn't know exactly what Itzal meant when he talked about the skills that he possesses that could help out with the familiar finding. However, she was glad that he was able to provide such a list of things that he can do to help. Finally, he settled for the tracking skill, a skill that, Kasier assumed, could allow him to track a certain mod or player. It seemed like a perfect skill for player killers who wanted to track down their targets but Kasier shrugged, deciding that it could help out in situations like this as well. "Alright, so does that mean we can take our time instead of rushing to find it? I would love not to run everywhere with this armor," Kasier exclaimed, standing up straight again after regaining the ability to breath normally, Kasier watched as Velnia came out of the lava and found its place on Itzal, once again. Everything had calmed down for a bit. It was then that she realized that she was not wearing her normal armor. Instead, she was wearing Itzal's light armor - meaning that she was not weighed down by her armor. Instead, she was probably just way out of shape. "Welp, I forgot that I'm not wearing my heavy armor. I guess I'm just a tad out of shape."

"Anyways, I guess we should be on our way, then." Kasier said, beginning to walk but allowing Itzal to lead since he had the exact location of the familiar that she wanted to find.

@Itzal

Itzal listened to her and nodded with a smile.  "Yeah, we can take it easy.  No matter where it goes and hides, we'll be able to find it.  No need to push ourselves too hard."  He watched her straighten herself and then she had the realization that she wasn't wearing heavy armor.  Her comment made him chuckle and shake his head.  "I wouldn't be too worried about it.  If I wasn't forced to train in running away and parkour, I would probably be in worse shape than you are."  She mentioned that they should be on their way and Itzal nodded, walking a little bit in front as he caught her subtle signal for him to lead, mainly due to the fact that he had the tracking skill.  "So, any idea on what you'd like to call the phoenix?"  Itzal loved learning about everything and anything, especially when it was game related.  And well, since they were trapped in a game, he was surrounded by things to learn.  This included unique names that he could use for his game.  However thus far he hadn't encountered any original names.  Itzal felt like Kayaba was piggybacking off of everyone else's lore and such rather than making his own.  It made sense of course, especially since it was the first virtual reality game that came out.  If the vr system was allowed to continue, then Itzal did not doubt for a second that people would make incredible improvements.  He hoped to be one of those people.

@Kasier