[F18 - PP] <<Just for the Halibut>>

Spoiler

[F18] <<Just for the Halibut>>

<<The Lurker>>

HRB9ejm.jpg

Players are told of a legendary fish on floor 18, and the location of it has been found. Players must meet a man in a run-down shack and ask to fish for it. In exchange for his Fishing Pole, the player agrees to let the man have the fish, but you can have the scales, which are said to be useful for many things. If the player agrees, he will give him his best fishing pole, to be returned once the fish is caught.

Quest Item:

<<Legendary Fishing Pole>>

4688117bc3bcc8d095554351776934ea.jpg

A Fishing Pole that is unbreakable, and gives a +1 to the CD for fishing

How to Fish:

Player must roll a CD to fish. The different rolls are as follows:

1-5: Nothing Seems to be biting…

6-10: A Fossil Fish is found!

11-12: Woah! That’s a Big Fish! It’s <<The Lurker>>! (Note: If you find the Lurker before you have found and Defeated all the Fossil Fish, the remaining Fossil fish will spawn with <<The Lurker>>)

Note: <<The Lurker>> Receives his own roll

Requirements:

21+ Posts

Must defeat four Fossil Fish and <<The Lurker>>

Must Return the Fishing Pole to the Old Man before locking the thread

Fossil Fish Stats:

250 HP, 50 MIT, +1 Accuracy, +2 Evasion, 100 Damage per Hit. +25 Damage on a roll of 9, +50 Damage on a roll of 10

<<The Lurker>> Stats:

500 HP, 150 MIT, 2 Accuracy, -1 Evasion, 250 Damage per Hit, +50 on a roll of 9, +100 on a roll of 10

Drops <<Gleaming Fish Scale>>

Gleaming Fish Scale [Tier 2 Perfect Trinket]: A Small Scale that is encaplused by a small glass orb filled with water, to keep the scale from drying out. The orb is attatched to a string to be worn around the neck (+1 LD, +2 Prosperity)

ONLY ONE GLEAMING FISH SCALE IS DROPPED PER THREAD

Rewards:

2 SP, 2,500 Col, <<Gleaming Fish Scale>>

Recommended Level: 30

Shield frowned as he looked over his displays. He sat in his dining hall, flicking through menus and watching as one crossed out item after another slid in and out of view. He finally settled back on the item he'd been avoiding.

"Fishing," he scoffed, closing out of his menu and settling his elbows on the table. The wood grain of the dining surface filled his vision, which he largely ignored. "I really wish that events happened frequently enough to keep up with players."

He sighed, opening his menus again and scrolling through his friends list. He knew that Beat would be at least willing, though likely less than eager, which meant a good chance for foot dragging to prolong what sounded like an already long and tedious quest. His finger hovered over another option. The player in question wasn't exactly top-tier DPS, but she had stuck it out through a fair amount of the loot grinding he had done so far. Besides, what he wanted more than anything was company just so he wouldn't be stuck out there fishing alone. He opened her contact information and composed a message.

"Callie,

I've got a quest I wanted to tackle. The combat will be a little grindy, but you'll be safe from any actual harm, and I could use some company. Want to go fishing on the eighteenth floor? I'm heading that way regardless. Join me if you like.

-Shield"

He fired off the message and pulled his plate of steak towards himself, chewing and swallowing the tough meat as quickly as he could before standing and taking his leave. He arrived on the eighteenth floor before the sun had reached its zenith, and just as the brokers had informed him, there was indeed a crazy looking old man in a yellow rain slicker standing outside of a shack beside the lake. Shield approached him, and the man's wild eyes snapped onto him.

"Is you here about the fish?!" spat the old salt, his eyes shifting back and forth at the mention of the 'F' word.

"Yes, I a-"

The NPC clapped his foul-smelling hand over Shield's mouth. He had to fight the urge to gag. The man then moved his face entirely too close to Shield's.

"If'n yuh lets me have the..." the man looked both ways again before putting his nose practically right against Shield's. "-fiiiish, then you can use my special pole and keep the scales as payment."

A pole that had not been in the old salt's hand a moment ago was suddenly thrust into Shield's fingers, and before he could argue or inquire further, the fisherman darted into the shack, cackling madly and slamming the door behind him.

"Great."

With that, Shield made his way down to the end of the pier and cast out into the water and summoned up an immolation potion which he promptly downed. If this quest was anything like he expected it might be, he would need the extra defensive damage.

Crafted Perfect T1 LD food [Steak] using basic kitchen [-4 T1 materials], +2 T1 slots using dining hall.

[+5 LD for thread]

Consuming T3 immolation potion [+30 thorns]

Edited by Shield
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spoiler

Level: 10
HP: 200
DMG: 10
MIT: 9
ACC: 1

Skills:
Weapon/Armor skills:
»2H Straight Sword [23/50] (Rank 3: Expert)

Extra:
»Familiar Mastery: Fighter [0/18] (Novice)

Inventory:

Equipped:
»[Rare] Polished Claymore (+2 DMG)
»[Uncommon] T1 Light Armor (+9 MIT)
»[Uncommon] T1 Ring (+1 ACC)

Battle Ready:
»(3) Starter Healing Potions (Heals 50 HP)
»5 Tier One Health Potions of Uncommon Quality  (+40 HP)
»1 Tier One Damage Potion (+1 Damage)
»1 Tier One Over-Health Potion (+50 Temp. HP)
»[Quest Item] Snowfrost (1/2 Burn DMG for 1 battle)

Yet another day of trying to stave off boredom. As her level steadily rose--though it was not yet anywhere near impressive--she found herself visiting the mountainous ranges of the seventh floor more often. Danesh was particularly fond of the environment, which only made sense as she regarded the area to be his original home. She had been roaming the uneven fields for a good portion of the morning until the chime of a new message had her promptly pulling up her menus.

"Fishing?" She echoed with raised brows. "And the eighteenth is new. Wha'do you say, Dani?" She called to her companion, catching the creature's attention while he met her question with a blank stare. She gave a tilt of her head to motion back towards Nimbus, urging him to change his direction to match hers. While she worked her way back to the main settlement and eventually the teleport gate, she wondered what kind of quest involved both fishing and combat. To answer her question, memories of the final quest in a chain she had taken on at least a month or so ago now came to mind, in which she recalled having to slay a monster fish that had been reeled in. Unfortunately, that quest in particular was far from the fondest of memories.

While her avatar warped to Eriwald, she took in the sight of the city standing over the marsh. With plenty of cloud cover hanging overhead, she didn't spend much time standing around the small teleport gate. The size of the town wasn't comparable to any main settlement she could recall visiting, but if nothing else it's unimpressive size made it easier for Callie to locate the man who had invited her out on a fishing trip.

She walked past the old fisherman's shack, lucky enough to be spared the interaction with the bumbling NPC, and made her way down to the edge of the pier. She stopped beside Shield, lowering herself to take a seat and letting her legs dangle over the edge several feet above the murky water. Leaning forward and planting her elbows against her knees, she gazed out over the landscape while addressing the brunette who was waiting for a fish to bite. "Not the most entertaining of quests, then? That's hard to believe." She joked with a soft smile.

ID#: 92332 | LD: 14 - nothing

Edited by Calypso

ID# 92345 results: Craft: 3+1=4 - Nothing

"If you've worked your way through the tutorial quests, then you already have a good idea of what we're likely in for," Shield sighed, glancing over at the newcomer. "Thanks for coming. Not that I mind a little quiet here and there, but I have no idea how long this will take."

As he spoke, the bobber out in the water remained on the surface, living up to its name as the ripples rolled beneath it. At the cuff of his sleeve, a small snout appeared, tasting the air with a forked tongue as if it had detected that there were new arrivals. Liliths colorful, serrated head emerged, twisting until it spotted Danesh. The bush viper slithered out, snaking her way up Shield's shoulder and extending off a little ways towards the dragon, bobbing midair as she struggled to reach all of the way.

"Well, looks like she remembers her friend," he said, suppressing a slight smile as his familiar continued to fail to gain purchase. "You know, you could stop and see if Danesh wants to say hi before you start trying to climb all over him."

Edited by Shield

"Of course." She replied to his thanks, still looking out over the massive stretch of water. Her feet kicked gently back and forth beneath her until a thought came to mind. "Stupid question," She started, brows narrowing slightly while she stared curiously into the unclear body. "Could we actually swim here? Not that I'd want to, if you're fishing for something scary over there. I just realized, I've seen ponds and a lake here or there, but I've never tried jumping in before." The corner of her mouth pulled into a smirk and she offered a final thought behind her question. "Made me wonder if they went the distance and gave us underwater ruins to explore, or something like that. Or maybe one of these days I'll run into an invisible wall."

Shortly after Callie had finished speaking, a small, familiar face peered out from Shield's sleeve to catch her attention. Danesh seemed to have spotted the serpent as well, his head lifting from her shoulder and looking back at Lilith with interest. She chuckled as the dragon's small paws pushed against her to help him stand, "Same here. Go on, I'm not carrying you this time." She turned her words to her familiar. His head swiveled to look back at her expectantly, but after a few short moments of Callie's stubbornness he gave up and hopped from his perch. The longer, dark grey strands of fur running along his spine swayed gently in the air while he snaked through the space between the two players.

ID#: 92363 | LD: 5 - nothing

Edited by Calypso

ID# 92365 results: Craft: 4+1=5 - Nothing

Shield ignored the unproductive bobber as it popped up and down lazily in the surf. Callie's question had caught him off guard, though he already knew the answer to this one.

"There was a boss fight on this very floor where players jumped overboard from their boats in droves to escape the fight," he answered, letting his eyes drift up to watch the familiars as they reacquainted themselves. "So yes, you can jump into the water. I wouldn't recommend it most places though."

Lilith managed to gain purchase on the foreclaw of the dragon's foot and folded one coil around it to secure her hold. She then pulled her lithe, muscular body up onto Danesh's shoulders where she had sat previously. Apparently, she had enjoyed the little makeshift seat before enough to reclaim it now.

"I'm glad she's getting some interaction," he said with a sigh, trying and failing to resist the urge to check the bobber again. It was still there. Nothing had encroached upon it in the open waters. "She didn't really have friends before Danesh."

Edited by Shield

She wasn't expecting the type of example Shield provided, and so his answer took her aback for a moment. "That...doesn't sound pleasant." Was her simple response. She hadn't so much thought of boss battles as non-threatening so much as she just hadn't thought much of them at all. Had there been a lot of frontline challenges that resulted in a retreat? She didn't want to ask. She could only imagine how sour things must have to go for an entire raid party to fall back.

While she frowned at the dangerous implications of such a boss fight, Danesh welcomed his new passenger. Lilith nestled into place on his back and he carried the viper towards Callie until she brought a hand up beside her to redirect his path. Being barred entry from his normal perch, he slid through the air to her lap, where she admitted defeat and picked her other elbow up from her knee. She leaned back while the pair of familiars settled, placing her palms flat on the pier behind her shoulders. "Me too." She agreed, glad to pull away from her imagination as she eyed the small creatures in front of her. "He didn't either, but I can't tell if he minded. He seems to enjoy her company though, so at least it's not one-sided."

ID#: 92371 | LD: 8 - nothing

Edited by Calypso

ID# 92374 results: Craft: 2+1=3 - Nothing

"Not all moments on the front lines are proud, and not all of them are pretty," Shield said, his jaw set as he stared out at the rippling waves that gently undulated beneath the red and white bobbing dot on the surface. "To tell the truth, it's kinda a mess out there. Most of the time, we orchestrate the chaos, but it's not always easy to do."

On Danesh's back, Lilith dug down into the dragon's white fur, treating the stuff almost like grass as she did her best to disappear in the stuff. Most of her body was roughly the same width as the length of the fur, making it more or less impossible to do so, but her head was hidden which seemed to make her think that since she could not see the others that she too was concealed.

"Lilith, that's not-" he said, reaching out half way to his familiar before sighing and lowering his hand. "Fine. Good job, Lilith. You're very good at sneaking." A tiny patch of hair wiggled as Lilith tasted the air in front of her snout.

Edited by Shield

Callie's eyes were fixed on the same dual-colored bobber that sat atop the lake until the continued inactivity drove them elsewhere. Danesh had made himself comfortable with his paws tucked beneath the body he draped over her dark chestnut pants. With Lilith contentedly half-burrowed into his fur and Shield's forfeit attempt at pointing it out, Callie giggled. Shifting the weight of her upper body to her right arm, she pulled the other from behind her and lifted the hand towards Danesh's head. Her fingers stroked gently from his narrow snout to the back of his skull, sometimes taking detours around the base of his short ivory horns. She took care not to invade Lilith's hiding spot, and a smile lingered on her lips as she caught sight of the viper's forked tongue between long strands of fur.

"Oh, that's right!" She spoke up, recalling something of minor relevance to the previous conversation. "A girl told me about a beach she liked to go to on the weekends." She lifted her head from the pair of familiars in her lap and directed her attention back out over the lake. "I think she said that was floor sixteen? Or seventeen." She guessed, the detail hazy in her memory. "I haven't taken the time to check that out yet." She commented, as if it were something that had gotten lost on her to-do list.

ID#: 92464 | LD: 4 - nothing

Edited by Calypso

ID# 92465 results: Craft: 3+1=4 - Nothing

Shield paused. At first, the comment sounded off-handed, as if it had just popped into her head and she was merely thinking it out loud because it was a slow, quiet sort of afternoon. However, to some, that might also have sounded like an invitation, and not to a quest this time, but to a leisure activity. And one that would look an awful lot like a date. He didn't respond. He was sure she didn't mean anything by it, but the thought made him incredibly uncomfortable and he was not entirely sure why. He kept his features impassive, not wanting to make Callie feel uncomfortable for having said something that could be taken the wrong way.

He watched the bobber as it continued to slide in and out of view behind the little moving hills and valleys of the water's surface. He remembered fishing in the boat with Beat a long time ago, but he had not remembered the activity being quite so slow and tedious as this was. If not for the company, he was sure that this would have been a very long and tedious exercise in waiting. As the silence stretched out on the little pier, Shield felt a little less tense. He turned his eye skyward as he held the fishing rod loosely in his fingers.

Edited by Shield

Though the silence didn't necessarily bother her, she found it odd when the topic seemed to fall flat. Perhaps Shield wasn't much of a fan of beaches. Or perhaps there was simply nothing more to say.

Everyone seemed more or less content at the edge of the pier, though Callie was beginning to wonder just what it was that this quest called for Shield to fish up and how long it would take for whatever it was to start biting. Her hand retreated back to its previous position behind her shoulder, and her weight distributed more evenly again. She stared at the murky water for a little while longer, the attempt to see anything at all through the cloudy depths proving futile.

"There wouldn't happen to be a spare laying around, would there?" She asked to break the long span of silence, referring to the wooden rod in Shield's hands. "If it's anything based on luck, I don't mind trying to increase the odds a bit." She offered.

ID#: 92481 | LD: 6 - nothing

Edited by Calypso

ID# 92482 results: Craft: 9+1=10 - Fossil Fish Found!

[H:0] Shield - HP: 1329/1330 | EP: 124/124 | Dmg: 2 | Acc: 0 | Eva: -1 | Mit: 169 | BH: 66 | THN: 87 | REC: 6 | LD: 7

<Fossil Fish> HP: 163/250 | MIT: 50 | ACC: 1 | Eva: 2 | DMG: 100 [MD 9:+25, MD 10: +50] - ID# 92483 results: MOB: 5 [+1+1=7 - Hit! 100-169=1 dmg - THN: 87 dmg]

"At this point, I'm almost thinking you shou-" Shield began, but just as he spoke, the bobber disappeared and did not reappear. Then there came a tug in his hand, and he had to grip the pole harder to keep it from slipping away. "Hold the phone!"

He yanked hard to set the hook and proceeded to turn the crank on the reel as quickly as he could. The line was taut and the pole bowed so that its end was parallel with the water while the handle was beyond perpendicular. As the line traced its way slowly back to the pier, a shadow began to appear beneath the surface. With one last almighty tug, Shield hauled a great fish out of the water.

The creature's flat body bore spined fins and its mouth was lined with jagged teeth. It kipped up out of the water and slashed at Shield with the nearer of its fins, leaving a red glowing gash on his shoulder which, unfortunately for the fish, began to heal immediately. At the same time, gashes and scratches appeared all along the flank of the fish that had struck the stalwart tank.

Edited by Shield

Callie perked to attention when Shield's reply was interrupted. Something in the depths seemed to finally take an interest in his lure, and while he worked to pull the creature from the water she ushered the familiar duo out of her lap and up onto her shoulders. Standing herself up at the edge of the pier, she backed a few steps to give what she assumed would be some sort of monstrous fish akin to the one she recalled from the first floor enough room for an impromptu battleground.

The only thing that seemed to match up with the vision in Callie's head and the monster that Shield reeled in was that it looked to be a fish. If it wasn't for the fish's flailing and thrashing, she would practically think it dead and half-rotted. After grazing the man with a barbed fin, it crashed down into the pier with a thud. It's decaying tail slammed against the wooden planks, thin body writhing as it launched itself into the air to continue swiping at the player that had pulled it from its home.

"Gross." Callie muttered, reaching for the hilt of the sword at her back. "Now I really don't wanna go swimming here." Drawing her blade, she curled her wrist while the other crossed her body to hold the sword steady in both hands. Though the floundering fish was more difficult to target than an average mob, her claymore still hit its mark with an empowered slash. Callie only grimaced with dissatisfaction at the minuscule damage her attack had dealt.

ID# 92486 | BD: 10 - Critical Hit!
(9 base) + (2 critical) = (11 DMG) x (5 sword art) = (55 DMG) - (50 MIT) = 5 DMG

[H:0] Shield - HP: 1329/1330 | EP: 124/124 | Dmg: 2 | Acc: 0 | Eva: -1 | Mit: 169 | BH: 66 | THN: 87 | REC: 6 | LD: 7
[H:2] Calypso - HP
200/200 | EP: 15/20 | DMG: 10 | MIT: 9 | ACC: 1

<Fossil Fish> HP: 158/250 | MIT: 50 | ACC: 1 | Eva: 2 | DMG: 100 [MD 9:+25, MD 10: +50]

Edited by Calypso

Action: Focused Howl [-8 EN]

Passive: [+1 EN] Battle Healing [+66 HP]

[H:6] Shield - HP: 1329/1330 | EP: 123/124 | Dmg: 2 | Acc: 0 | Eva: -1 | Mit: 169 | BH: 66 | THN: 87 | REC: 6 | LD: 7
[H:2] Calypso - HP200/200 | EP: 15/20 | DMG: 10 | MIT: 9 | ACC: 1

<Fossil Fish> HP: 71/250 | MIT: 50 | ACC: 1 | Eva: 2 | DMG: 100 [MD 9:+25, MD 10: +50] - ID# 92485 results:  Craft: 10 [Recovery +6 EN] MOB: 4 [+1+1=6 - Hit! 100-169=1 dmg - THN: 87 dmg]

While her assistance was appreciate, Shield could tell that Callie had landed a considerable hit on the fish. The flailing beast turned its flapping body towards the other player and began hopping angrily along the pier to her. While it wasn't for certain that Callie would be in danger, he did not want to play with fire on that one. He took a deep breath and projected the sound of his voice so forcefully that the fish was almost knocked back into the water.

"What are you looking at, ugly!?" he bellowed in a <Focused Howl>, stepping in the way of the monster. It did not take kindly to being interrupted, and in response, it leaped into the air and slashed at Shield once again with a fin. Again, the damage was minimal that stuck on the tank, but the fish took considerable damage, dropping just a little ways into the red portion of its health bar.

Edited by Shield

After another swing of her heavy blade went wide past the monster's flailing form, Callie centered her balance and let out a small sigh of annoyance. Not only was her damage output terribly low against the rotted fish, but it proved difficult to consistently hit as well. "You know," She spoke in a sigh, shifting her weight onto her back leg. She lifted the base of her sword, resting the flat of it against her shoulder. "It seems to be doing the work for us just throwing itself onto your armor." She displayed half a smirk, though the sentiment was not a proud one. It wasn't the first time Shield's defensive damage had outdone her own, and logic told her that would remain the norm so long as the level gap between them remained as sizable as it was, but that didn't do much to dispel the hint of inferiority that nagged at the back of her mind.

ID#: 92538 | BD: 5 (-1 ACC) = 4 - Miss!

[H:0] Shield - HP: 1329/1330 | EP: 123/124 | Dmg: 2 | Acc: 0 | Eva: -1 | Mit: 169 | BH: 66 | THN: 87 | REC: 6 | LD: 7
[H:2] Calypso - HP200/200 | EP: 14/20 | DMG: 10 | MIT: 9 | ACC: 1

<Fossil Fish> HP: 71/250 | MIT: 50 | ACC: 1 | Eva: 2 | DMG: 100 [MD 9:+25, MD 10: +50]

Edited by Calypso

Passive [+1 EN] Battle Healing [+66 HP]

Action: Energize > Calypso [Shied: -10 EN, Calypso: +8 EN]

[H:0] Shield - HP: 1329/1330 | EP: 116/124 | Dmg: 2 | Acc: 0 | Eva: -1 | Mit: 169 | BH: 66 | THN: 87 | REC: 6 | LD: 7
[H:2] Calypso - HP200/200 | EP: 20/20 | DMG: 10 | MIT: 9 | ACC: 1

<Fossil Fish> HP: 71/250 | MIT: 50 | ACC: 1 | Eva: 2 | DMG: 100 [MD 9:+25, MD 10: +50] - ID# 92539 results: Craft: 9 [Recovery +6 EN] MOB: 3 [+1+1=5 - Miss]

As if on cue, this fish hurled itself at Shield again. He just managed to hurl a globe of energy at Callie as it hit, but all the fish succeeded in doing was to bounce off of him and continue flopping around on the deck of the pier.

"My damage is only as useful as my enemies allow," Shield said with a sigh, turning to completely ignore the ineffective monster. "If they don't have the accuracy to consistently hit me, or for that matter if they hit me too well and bypass my damage, then most of what I deal to them does nothing. With time and with the proper skills and items, you're going to put my damage to shame."

He turned back to his opponent, not even lifting his sword since he knew that whatever damage the fish dealt would be too weak to be used against it. It was, unfortunately, entirely up to the flapping monster in front of him just how long this fight would continue.

Edited by Shield

Though she probably didn't need to, Callie pulled a hand from her weapon and held it in front of her chest to intercept the swirling sphere, allowing it to land and dissipate in her palm. The ability had surprised her a bit at first, but she was growing accustomed to the game of catch she would play with Shield's energy-imbuing skill. If only she used a one-handed weapon, it might be a bit easier to participate. "Guess I better step up my game." She shrugged the broad blade from her shoulder and steadied it in front of her before stepping up to make another strike against the monster.

She hadn't expected to deal a lot of damage, but she at least expected to hit it this time. Just before the edge of her blade came down on the prone creature, it kicked up again and flipped itself out of the way. Instead of slicing through the fish, Callie's sword dug into a wooden plank of the pier. She let out a tiny huff while she pulled the blade free again, watching as the fish went back to persistently tossing its spiny body at the tank.

ID#: 92542 | BD: 6 (-1 ACC) = 5 - Miss!

[H:6] Shield - HP: 1329/1330 | EP: 116/124 | Dmg: 2 | Acc: 0 | Eva: -1 | Mit: 169 | BH: 66 | THN: 87 | REC: 6 | LD: 7
[H:2] Calypso - HP200/200 | EP: 18/20 | DMG: 10 | MIT: 9 | ACC: 1

<Fossil Fish> HP: 71/250 | MIT: 50 | ACC: 1 | Eva: 2 | DMG: 100 [MD 9:+25, MD 10: +50]

Passive [+1 EN] Battle Healing [+66 HP]

Action: Energize > Calypso [Shied: -10 EN, Calypso: +8 EN]

[H:6] Shield - HP: 1329/1330 | EP: 113/124 | Dmg: 2 | Acc: 0 | Eva: -1 | Mit: 169 | BH: 66 | THN: 87 | REC: 6 | LD: 7
[H:2] Calypso - HP200/200 | EP: 20/20 | DMG: 10 | MIT: 9 | ACC: 1

<Fossil Fish> HP: -4/250 | MIT: 50 | ACC: 1 | Eva: 2 | DMG: 100 [MD 9:+25, MD 10: +50]ID# 92546 results: Craft: 9 [Recovery +6 EN] MOB: 6 [+1+1=8 - Hit! 100-169=1 dmg - THN: 87 dmg]

With one final flip into the air, the fish stabbed its needle-like fin spines into Shield's shoulder and vanished in a shattering of white shards of light. He sighed and lowered his defenses.

"Well, that was messy," he said with a slight shrug of his shoulders. "For me, fights with low accuracy enemies always are. I just can't get in my full damage if they don't hit." He took one more breath to calm himself before lowering himself back down onto the edge of the dock and retrieving the fishing rod, casting it out into the water. "Well, we have yet to find the big boss."

From what the brokers had told him, there were a number of fish that would often precede the boss or else appear with it. In the end, he supposed that it was one down from the total. "Might as well get comfortable. There's no telling how much longer the next fish will find."

Edited by Shield

The puff of air that left Callie's lungs was directed upwards, ruffling her bangs for half a second before they fell back into place over her forehead. From what she was gathering, the quest seemed pretty straight-forward: fish until you get the monster that counts for the objective. Kill it, and everything else that you happen to fish up in the meantime.

Her eyes flickered to the display in the bottom-right of her vision, where Aincrad's local time stared back at her. Without being able to recall when she'd arrived, she wondered once again how long it would take to get this quest done. "I see what you meant by it being a grind." She hefted her blade and placed it back in its scabbard over her shoulder, turning towards the base of the pier after doing so. She eyed the shack that she had passed by on her arrival and then called over her shoulder. "I'm going to see if I can pick one of those up to help out." Referring to the rod Shield had acquired from the fidgety fisherman, Callie made her way over.

She gave a quick knock on the door, the wooden planks letting out a short squeak when they rocked lightly from the pressure. Seconds later, it flew open. The same old man in the same yellow raincoat stood on the other side of the doorway, looking her up and down with the same wild eyes before declining his head and leaning in closer to her.

"Lis'n," He started, stretching his neck further past the frame and giving a long glance in either direction. "You been catchin' the little fishes?" His attention snapped back to Callie, darting eyes running up and down her once more.

"Err, yes--" The old fisherman took a single, wide step to close the gap between them, bringing his face much too close to Callie's. One eye squeezed shut while the other widened, practically bugging out from the man's head.

He spoke in a breathy whisper that carried the scent of rotting fish and dirty salt water, causing Callie's nose to wrinkle. "Y'ain't gonna catch the biiig fiiish without muh special pole." Suddenly Callie felt something thrust into her hands. Or rather, something was pushed into her torso and her hands naturally moved up to catch the object.

With that, the crazy old man pulled away, retreating back into his shack and slamming the door between them. Callie was still recovering from the exchange when she rejoined Shield at the edge of the pier. She sat herself down, letting her legs hang over the edge just as she had when she first arrived, and took the rod in both hands, casting out into the murky lake as well. She was silent for a moment, and then finally spoke up with a persistent frown. "It was really unnecessary for them to get that detailed."

ID#: 92562 | CD: 2+1=3 - nothing

ID# 92596 results: Craft: 3 - Nothing

Fossil Fish Killed [1/4]

"You're not kidding," Shield said, simultaneously remembering and trying to forget his own exchange with the fisherman. "I am not looking forward to returning the poles."

He watched as both sets of bobbers now settled into patterns of dipping in and out of sight behind the waves. Overhead, the cries of seafaring birds echoed on the wind. "At least it's a pleasant day to grind," Shield thought aloud, looking for the silver linings in the otherwise tedious and frustrating quest. "I knew this would be time consuming, but I wasn't expecting all this waiting. Usually in RPG's and the like, they speed up processes like this, but apparently in SAO, when you fish, you fish in real time."

He didn't know if this was quite as long as it would be in the real world. He knew some people spent entire days fishing, but it certainly felt as if the process had not been sped up any for player convenience.

Edited by Shield

She hadn't thought about that. Callie nearly felt an uncomfortable chill run up her spine at the thought of having to hand off whatever 'big fish' the crazed old fisherman was after. She leaned forward, once again planting her elbows above her knees and she picked her chin up a moment when Shield commented on the weather. "Hmm~" She let out a light hum, a satisfied smile on her lips. Though the skies and lake both were not necessarily clear, the floor at least held a nice temperature and showed no signs of foul weather to disrupt their outing. Yes, Callie decided, she would much rather spend an afternoon out here than going on some kind of ice fishing quest on the fourth floor.

"Yeah. Fishing, crafting, I never get into it in games. It starts to feel too much like a job. I don't think I'll make a habit of it here, either. Especially if it's mainly just used to fish up monsters." She commented with a slightly sour tone, recalling how her only other fishing experience featured a nearly identical objective. She soon shrugged it off, giving a couple light kicks of her feet underneath the edge of the pier. "But you're right, at least they gave us a nice enough location. I don't mind spending a while here if it's just going to be the once."

ID#: 92600 | CD: 2+1=3 - nothing

Edited by Calypso