[PP-F1]Helping Hand <<The first few lessons are free>>

Ben adverted his eyes as another breeze came through, blushing as he did.  "Well, hmmm... I guess most materials can be used for just about anything.  I think what job you take changes where you get the materials from, but they're all just ingredients and herbs and ores - no completed sandwiches on the floor.  As for where, they can be found outside of safe zones, pretty much anywhere.  Tier 1 materials are on floors 1-10, tier 2 on 11-20, and so on."

Ben turned back towards Nova as she squirmed around nervously.  "Really it's just a matter of luck and how much SP you put into it.  I figure you've probably put your starting skill points into armor skills,  and don't want to put too many into searching, so you'll find less than someone who has done otherwise.  But that just means it'll take longer to find things, not that what you find will be less powerful."

Ben paused to take another drink of coffee as he talked.  "But the best way to find out how things work is to do them.  So, why don't you take a look at the next bunch of bushes as we talk, and see if you can find anything in them.  I think you'll be a natural at it." 

Really? Its that easy? Will any bush do?  Nova looked around Like that one? She went to the bush in curiosity. Its being highlighted by my hud... I think this is one of them. She got on her knees, and examined it. She then crawled inside utill the upper half of her body was concealed.

ID# 93782

Loot: 1.   SUPER FAIL : (

There is nothing in here. Im gonna get out now... She started backing up slowly but a branch sliped and smacked her in the face &she continued to cut her knees on stuff. Ow... ow... ow... She backed up into another bush. This one was more prickly then the bush she was in. Owch... She stop and didn't move, everything on my legs hurts she thought. Don't laugh, but I think I'm stuck...

Edited by Novafire

Ben had averted his gaze when Nova bent down, and sighed when he saw the result.  You know you didn't... that... *sigh* stay still while I cut you out. he said as he put his coffee down and bent down by the bush.  Trying to pull her out would probably injure her more, so he took his dagger from his belt and worked at cutting away a few of the branches. I can't say that there is anything in there, since I never look that deep into thorn brush, but you might want to keep from crawling that far in next time.  Not only might you get stuck again, but if a monster wanders by you'd be in big trouble. he commented concernedly.  I think that should do it.  Can you wiggle yourself out now?

Maybe. Nova attempted to squirm out of the bush. I think I got it. Ok, got it! She looked at Ben but was still on the floor. Thanks. For cutting me out. She smiled, and got back up. Noticing her face still hurt from the branch. She felt it, and pulled her hand away. It was a pink glistening cut on her cheek. Ow... does it look bad?  Ben nodded no, but she could tell he was lieing. It kinda hurts. She  put her hand on her cheek. It didn't take any HP away either, it just hurts. She noticed another bush, it didn't look prickly. That bush is lighting up like the previous one. She said still holding her cheek. She walked up to it. Got on her knees, and moved the branches around to look for the herb.

ID# 93788

Loot =  5.   Fail

Nothing. She got back up and looked at Ben. Nothing in here either. She noticed the pain in her cheek began to subside. She touched her cheek and noticed the cut was gone.

Yea, little cuts and rips on your clothes happen, but don't leave any serious marks. I'm glad you're ok though, that was a nasty tangle. Ben said as he watched her work, glad that she hadn't hurt herself too badly.  At least this time she wasn't checking it head first, so that was an improvement.  If we both start searching bushes, it shouldn't take long. Even with these bushes that sometimes have nothing in them.

Spoiler

ID - 93791

Loot die - 19, success

Here I think I found one for you. Ben tossed the material over to her, happy that they were making progress.  So if I may ask, what kinds of skills are you looking to start getting once you have points to spend?

Edited by Benjamin Bookworm

Oh, yay, you found one! She smiled. Thanks! 

She listened to the question. Probably Combat Healing, so I can withstand more damage. And regenerate on my own. Nova looked around for another bush to search. Oh, I forgot to mention, the clothes I got, they add +2 to the Looting skill. So now, I have a  seven out of twenty chance to get a herb. Time to test it out.

ID#93792

Loot = 20 + 2LD Boost (Relaxing Nova) Major Success! 

Found one! She said looking through the third bush. I guess this does come handy after all. Nova looked down at her shirt. Thanks for the boost. Then laughed. She looked back at Ben. So, what about you? What skills are you planning on getting? Does it involve healing as well? Or is is something else?

Edited by Novafire

Ben nodded I'm planning on picking up the first aid skill later, but for now I'm saving up for the gathering skill, to get more material when I search, and a familiar who can help me craft. I figure lots of potions will be my healing for now.

He smiled at the little joke as he looked through the next bush, grabbing another material as he went.  That's 3 already, we're on a roll.  Anyways, I'm also looking to eventually max out my searching skill so I can have plenty to craft with. And as a side bonus, I'll find lots of sub-dungeons to explore with friends.  

I actually have some new threads on the way too, but I paid extra for the perfect level of enhancement, so It'll take s few days before I get them...

Spoiler

Roll ID - 93793

Loot die - 18, success

So your a healer? She asked curiously, Ben nodded yes. Interesting. She respected healers a lot, not to many people play them. Mostly because they thought it was boring. She looked around spotting a small slope with a tree on top. Next to it was two bushes. Both were highlighted. Over there! She pointed at the tree. When she approached, she instantly shoved branches aside looking for the precious herb. 

ID#93794

Loot = 9 + 2LD (Relaxing Nova) = Success!

Found one! By the way, have you joined a guild yet? She looked at Ben who nodded no. Because, I'm making a guild called the "Tree of Blades." Wanna join? Its supposed to be dedicated to helping lower level players. She smiled. Kinda like me. Nova giggled.

Edited by Novafire

Well, that sounds like a fun idea.  I do have a tendency to wander off doing my own thing a lot- I can get hyper focused on a task if I find one I want to do.  But if you'd like I can join.  I should have plenty of extra healing potions for the new players.  Ben told her.  He'd wanted to join up with a guild, but was always busy with other things it seemed.  It would be nice to have others to battle alongside and not have to find a group whenever he was between quests.

You seem to be getting the hang of this real quickly, by the way.  It's nice to be out in the woods finding things.  Not only do I find stuff to craft with, but you can also find treasure chests sometimes, and sub-dungeons on the higher floors.  Those can net you some nice loot if you see them. 

Spoiler

Gathering roll - ID 93798

Loot die 17 - Success!

Ben pulled the last herb they would need off of a nearby tree and tossed it Novafire's way. And that is how you finish up a quest fast.  Now you just have to get to the next few parts and get your rewards.  Trust me, you'll like what you get. 

We did it! She cheered. Yay! She thought to herself, I'm almost done! To celebrate, she got a another coffee out and tried to drink it. Unfortunately, she swung it towards her face so fast that the top came undone, and spilled all over her shirt. Nooooo! She looked at Ben, I have to switch back to my armor. She looked around,  and saw a large tree. Then looked back at Ben. Ok, I'm going to change behind that tree. Don't  peek. She waddled over to the tree, trying not to get the coffee stained shirt to touch her chest as little as possible, so of course it lead to an strange way to walk. Behind the tree, taking off her clothes and putting on her armor trusting that Ben wasn't looking but not knowing for sure. She came back from around the tree. Well, that was terrible. She crossed her arms. I hope it dries itself out and doesn't smell like coffee afterward. Anyway, whats next? She said opening her menu and going to the quest catalog.

Novafire gains/loses: (So far)

+5 T1 Mats

-2 Coffee of the Strong

-Deluxe Expresso

Edited by Novafire

Ben waited for the (extremely clumsy) friend of his to get her armor back on.  He chuckled to himself, hopefully without her hearing.  It's been an interesting day so far, and the rest of the quest at least had much less of a chance of going wrong from here on out.  He was actually having fun for the first time since the game started. 

Well, the next part is giving the materials you got back to Zackariah, as he asked.  He should be able to help you with making things out of them.  He'll teach you potions like I make, though I don't know what you're planning on eventually specializing in crafting.  After that, the last part of the task should be a delivery run.  We can go along the path normally, or make a detour to check some good areas for finding treasure chests on the way.  That'd be your choice. 

Sounds good to me. Nova said excited . So we go back to town? Great, the sooner the better. Because I need to clean the coffee out of my clothes. They began to walk back to town. You know how I was talking about that guild I'm making? It won't count as a guild untill I have four founding members. She began to laugh. This is nothing the the Age of War mobile game. Her laugh subsided. So, what kind of games do you play in real life? Before SAO? Because I, played games like Skyrim, Halo, and Dark Souls... She cursed under her breath at the company that made dark souls, From Software. To be honest, I expect this game to be more like dark souls. Which is why I was so afraid to leave. Because in that game, you died ever minute form something. They saw the entrance to the Town of New beginnings from wear they were walking. So, what did you play?

What games... well I mostly did online MMOs like Planetside or City of Heroes.  Never did much single player he shrugged. I suppose you died a lot in those games too, but that was because there wasn't much of a penalty for it.  I just enjoyed the company you could find in them.  Having a team be much stronger than an individual was what drew me in.  Ben got lost in thought for a minute before continuing I suppose that we've all assumed that this game is set up fair enough to beat without dying, or pretty close to it.  No reason not to, as the crazy guy who set this up could've just as easy fried all our brains in a hot second.  

Oh, and if you need someone to join in to help found your guild, I can do that.  Though I don't know how the guild system works very well yet- does it cost a lot of col to found a guild?

Actually, It doesn't take any to found a guild. She looked at Ben.  None. Nova smiled. I'm suprised, I was expecting it to be hard. To get others to work together in this game. But it turns out everyone has a common goal. To escape. Some have other goals. She looked at the ground. What drives a man to kill another in cold blood? She looked forward. Its horrible... All the color drained from her face. Do they not they are ending real lives? Real people? She looked at Ben, Nova looked distressed. Why? She looked back at the ground as they entered the town of new beginnings. She thought about it. Something has to be wrong with them, no sane man could kill, not even a animal.  Nova was naturally upset when something dies, she wouldn't hurt a fly, much less a human being.

Ben really didn't know how to answer that question.  I mean, what do you even say to that?  He knew that it was just how some people are- mean, broken, and enjoying inflicting pain.  But... that probably wasn't going to help. So he just patted Nova on the head. Whatever the reason, we'll get through it. And I'm sure if you help out some of those newer players, more people will make it through than if you hadn't.  Ben wasn't very good at making heavy conversation like this, and kept glancing around as he talked, hoping it made Nova feel better.

I try not to think too hard about those kinds of things. You wind up with them running through your brain all day and can't focus on what's important.  I'm ok with just going one goal at a time.

Thanks... Nova looked at Ben, he watched as the color began to return to her face. ...I really needed that. She smiled, but you could tell she was still slightly upset, then she looked forward again. So... Nova sniffled. ...we go an make a potion? She looked at Ben. Doesn't sound so hard. Is there a specific place I go to make it? She looked at the buildings. It doesn't seem so hard. She looked at the crowds of people going about their daily needs, some in clothes walking casually, some in armor running towards objectives. So, we go to Zacaroths first, right? Then we make the potion? Nova could see the old building just down the street.

Yep, that's the plan.  We just head back to the house we started the quest at, and he will show you the basics of crafting.  Honestly, it's a bit ahead of what you can do at the start.  I actually haven't gotten enough experience to make potions in my shop, and it'll take me months to have enough to make it with as much success as you have with him helping.Still, it's going to be good practice for the future.  No matter what path you take, it's nice to be able to turn the material you find into useful stuff.  Ben talked as they walked down the crowded streets.  He was glad she started looking better, and wanted to keep her mind away from those thoughts again. 

Have you given any thought as to what you're going to try to make?  Something to give you some buffs, or some support items?  Each craft has it's own strengths- alchemists have crystals that can be used even while you're attacking.  Cooks have some good buffs, and performers have good debuffs, for example.

It took her a second to think of an answer. I actually have been thought of that... She thought to herself. ...Cook, Alchemist, Performer. Wait, Performer? Nova became curious, what does a performer do? Do they dance? Do they sing? Do they make songs? Nova was curious. Do they play music to buff players? Or weaken monsters? She had lots of questions. All of them pertaining to the performer. Maybe they tame creatures. Nova decided to find out. I have a few questions, what does the performer do exactly? I have a few good ideas, but none for sure. So, whats a performer? She was serious about the question, what do they actually do? Other then make songs?

She looked at Ben, expecting an answer, It seems like he knows far more then she does.

Edited by Novafire

Well... I suppose that I don't know for sure.  You can sing, but from what I understand the songs can be used by anyone, so I think most people just activate the crystal the song was on and it plays.  Maybe singing makes it better, but I don't actually know.  You'd probably have to sing or something to make them though.  Never thought of it. 

As for what it does, they have some healing spells, but mostly they have a lot of debuffs you can throw at the enemy that makes them easier to fight.  If I didn't want to focus so much on healing, I would have grabbed it as my choice.  There's also a song that can bring out a monster with better loot -  a buff that stacks with all other buffs too. 

Of course, the problem is they only affect one group at a time, so they get used up so very quickly because of that.  So you either make good col selling ti, or use them up all the time to try and earn more col in the field.