[SP - F01] Time to Pick Up Where I Never Started <<The First Few Lessons Are Free>> (completed)

Well, I guess it's finally time to pick myself off the ground and actually do something.

Neo had finally tired of sitting in alleyways in the town of beginnings and crying herself to sleep every night, it was time she did something. Which meant she needed to know what she could do in the first place. After getting lost multiple times, she found herself in the main plaza area. Looking around to see what she could do, she noticed an avatar standing still. They're probably an NPC. Neo walked up to them and tried to initiate an interaction. The NPC began to speak.

"So, you must be new to Sword Art Online. Well, I'm here to help. I'll guide you along the path to understand some of the inner workings of this game."

Neo gestures to the man to continue, but he doesn't. He's probably waiting for a verbal command, not that I want to give him one. After waiting a couple minutes while still standing next to him, though, he thankfully continued.

"Please go into the fields, find 5 materials, and bring them to me."

Neo started to head out into the fields, but got a little lost along the way again. After taking several wrong turns, she finally made it out of the gates and into the field.

It's so real, almost like it's actually existing in our world and just a port to this virtual one. I can feel the wind on my...

Neo shook her head, she had to remain focused no matter what. She looked around and began almost frantically looking for materials to collect. Suddenly, a glint caught in the corner of her eye. She rushed over to it and looked down to see only a shiny pebble that was likely discarded by another player after finding it near a river.

Rats. I don't even know what I'm looking for, I should've kept trying to get help out that NPC but I doubt they would give anything useful if I don't speak.

Spoiler

Roll ID: #100788

LD: 10 - no success

Edited by Neopolitan

Neo sat down to think when suddenly a prompt popped up, "Harvest Materials?" It appeared she had just sat down on top of some materials. She quickly turned around and saw the little green shrub that she was going to have to look for before confirming the gathering.

How in the world am I supposed to spot these little green shrubs, you can barely even notice that they are there when you're looking straight at them.

Regardless of the possible difficulties to come, Neo confirmed the gathering. She suddenly felt a little bit more tired, almost as if she had performed the action herself. Neo opened up her inventory and made sure that the new quest item had gone in.

Well, at least this game isn't too buggy. Though I guess they've had a lot of time to do bug fixing while I've been busy distracting myself from everything.

Spoiler

Roll ID: #100789

LD: 20 - successfully gathered quest material (1/5)

Edited by Neopolitan

Neo continued to look around.

If there is one here, it either means that there are more close by, or I'll have to go a little ways before I'll even have a chance at finding another.

Acting on the former thought, Neo decided to look around more in the area surrounding her first find. After a bit of looking, She was rewarded with another green shrub. Neo walked up to it and tapped it, causing the prompt to appear once again. She pressed the confirm button and the plant disappeared, along with some of her stamina. Even though this game was virtual it still knew how to make every part seem like real life to the player. Neo kept looking, hoping to find more in the area. But eventually decided to go out and find more, though staying as close to the city gates as possible, just in case she ran into something that she didn't want to face.

Spoiler

Roll ID: #10792

LD: 14 - search successful, quest material gathered (2/5)

Edited by Neopolitan

Neo started looking, but was to afraid to stray far from the gates. As such, she started to tire in what was becoming more of her fruitless search. She realised that it was quite likely that the game wouldn't even spawn many materials near the town. She decided that it would eventually be time to anyways and left the vicinity of the Town of Beginnings, making sure that the rapier she got at the beginning of the game was equipped.

I just realised, I don't even know how to use this thing, let alone be any good in a fight. I just hope nothing comes along, it would be a bad idea if I got killed right as I became brave enough to step into the world. It would certainly not look good to others who were stuck in my position. "Neopolitan, killed by level 1 Boar," what a way to go.

Spoiler

Roll ID: #100794

LD: 5 - unsuccessful

Edited by Neopolitan

Neo looked behind her, scared that she could only see a silhouette of the Town of Beginnings now. She was quite a ways out now and wasn't sure if she would be able to make it back if she lost site. Turning to cut back towards the town at a diagonal, Neo continued her search for materials.

They've just gotta be around here somewhere.

Neo hears a snort behind her and jumps at the noise. She sees a boar passively eating one of the little green shrubs. Hanging her head in defeat, she walks away from where the boar is to make sure that it doesn't end up eating more of the plants she's trying to harvest. The sun crept up into the sky, signalling just how long it had taken Neo to walk out here. It had only been a little past dawn when she had steeled herself, and she now was thinking about whether or not she should go back to crying herself to sleep every night.

Spoiler

roll ID: #100796

LD: 7 - unsuccessful

Edited by Neopolitan

No, I can't think like that, I need to do this, then the next quest, and keep going until I have finally made it further than anyone else would think I could in this amount of time. I don't care what it takes, I will help clear this game.

Neo began walking forward in a much more determined stride, wanting more than ever to find more resources. However, her thinking to herself had distracted her, and she realised she hadn't really been looking for the resources while absorbed in her thoughts. It was time to stop worrying about the past and look to the future, where eventually she would be back home. And even though that would mean losing her voice again, she refused to use this gift that the game had decided to give her. She would do everything in her power to spite the game, and she would beat it into the ground when she was done with it.

Spoiler

Roll ID: #100798

LD: 2 - unsuccessful

Edited by Neopolitan

Neo started to search much more methodically, making sure to cover every last piece of ground with her multi-colored eyes. This method paid off, as she eventually found another one the shrubs. She walked up to it, and confirmed the harvest.

That makes three, and the man said I needed five. Well, best keep moving then.

Neo continued her moving, and realized she had covered everything in that area. She hurriedly moved onto another area, changing her pattern so that she wouldn't search herself into a corner again. The sun began to dip lower in the sky, the search dragging on. And as it did, Neo's determination only grew stronger than before, wanting to get as far as she could as fast as she could. And it all started with finishing this quest. Finishing this little quest would be the beginning for a whole new her, a whole new warrior that would fiercely fight on the battlefields, whether low floors or high.

Spoiler

Roll ID: #100799

LD: 11 - Successfully gathered a quest material (3/5)

Edited by Neopolitan

Neo searched as the sun began to approach dusk. She had just recently stumbled across another shrub, and made it her fourth. However, as the day waned, she found her courage wavering once again.

Perhaps I should just let others do the work for me. They'll just conveniently lay their lives down for mine and I'll get out of here without having to worry at all.

No, I can't let that happen, I can't just let people die for me when I'm doing nothing. Enough people have already died, I can't let another get added to that list until I'm no longer a dead weight to them. I don't care what it takes to get to the top, but so help me I'm going to push this game to its limits.

The thought process had stalled her search, and Neo stupidly realised that she had not been keeping track of everywhere she had looked while tirading to herself. She quickly backtracked to where she last remembered herself to be and continued her search.

Spoiler

roll ID: #100800

LD: 12 - successfully gathered quest material (4/5)

Edited by Neopolitan

Neo didn't realise just how much she had missed while once again absorbed in her own thoughts. She decided to backtrack a little further than she thought just in case. But as she continued down the path that she had already walked, She realised that she was still being quite alert for the shrubs, even while she wasn't doing so consciously. There weren't any to be found. This continued on for a while until Neo finally reached the end of her footsteps from before and was searching new ground. Making sure not to get distracted once again, Neo continued her search in full.

No time to think about lofty goals right now, only focus on the step in front of you. Look too far ahead and you trip over what's right in front of you. Can't forget the end goal though, otherwise I'll walk into a wall without realising it.

Spoiler

Roll ID: #100801

LD: 9 - unsuccessful

Edited by Neopolitan

Step in front of you, the step in front of you, the step...

Neo had been droning this in her head for a while now, using every ounce of concentration she could to focus on the task at hand. She had been going at it again for another hour or so and still hadn't found her last material. No matter how hard she looked, it seemed to be nowhere in sight. She was starting to get close to the Town of Beginnings again and didn't want to have to backtrack just to find the last little bit of material she would need for the quest. And even though the end of the day was approaching, Neo had been getting plenty of sleep not doing anything for years. If the NPCs were going to stay up all night for her to still do quests, than that is what she would do.

Spoiler

Roll ID: #100805

LD: 9 unsuccessful

Edited by Neopolitan

Neo was closing in on the Town of Beginnings, when she finally spotted the last bit of material she needed. She quickly jogged over to it and harvested the last piece she need. She then heard a snort again, it was the boar that ate one of her plants she was looking for.

Your going to pay for that you pig, and all the other plants that you have been denying from other poor beginners like me.

Huh, what a fitting idiom to use.This isn't the time to be distracted, it's kill or be killed now.

Neo pulled out her rapier and prepared to attack the boar, wanting to exact a petty revenge and finally figure out how this game would really be working for her. As she ran at the boar, she pictured it being the boss she was trying to kill. The creature blocking her very progress. The monster whose death would pave the road to her freedom.

Spoiler

Roll ID: #100806

LD: 11 - successfully gathered quest material (5/5 time to return to the old man)

Encountering Level 1 Boar:

HP: 10

Damage: 3

My stats:

HP: 20

Energy: 2

Battle-ready inventory:

-Bloodegde (+1 DMG, Bleed, rapier)

-3x Starter Healing Potions (Heals 50 HP each)

Edited by Neopolitan

The boar, not realising what was going on, lets Neo get an attack in first. With a little bit of fumbling, Neo lunges and manages to land a puncture wound on the boar with her rapier. The boar is left with a small red area on its hide where the strike landed.

That's what you get for eating my plant, now you'll pay for everything else.

The boar attempts to retaliate and charge, but Neo was ready. She quickly sidesteps the charge and the boar misses completely, skidding off into the dirt and quickly turning around. Prepping for her next strike, Neo lets herself be filled with her admittedly over the top anger for losing out on that plant.

No matter what it takes, I have to get better. I'll start with this boar, and then it will be a wolf, and I'll keep going until I'm finally at the top.

Spoiler

Roll ID: #100819

BD: 7 - Hit

MD: 1 - Critical Miss

Neo:

Energy: 1 (-1 ENG for regular attack)

Boar:

HP: 7 (-3 HP): 1 base + 1 skill + 1 enhancement

Edited by Neopolitan

Neo went to strike at the still swerving boar and suddenly felt an aura take over, she felt herself moving naturally with the rapier. It was almost as if she had been wielding it for many years.

This must be the sword arts I always hear people talking about. I always wondered what they meant by that.

She quickly released two strikes in a x pattern and triumphantly looked at the boar. At least she did, until she realised that the strikes were released much to soon. Her face drooped into a much more gloomy look.

Well, it's not like I would never miss a strike in my life or anything. But that was certainly underwhelming.

The boar charges at Neo once again and this time hits her head on. She notices her health bar go down as she gets the wind knocked out of her. As she backs up, Neo prepares to keep hitting at the boar with everything she's got.

Spoiler

Roll ID: #100820

BD: 4 - Miss

MD: 9 - Minor Critical Hit

Neo:

HP: 16 (-4 HP): 3 base + 1 minor crit bonus

Energy: 0 (+1 regen, -2 miss)

Edited by Neopolitan

Getting back up before the boar could charge at her again, Neo readied her blade and swung at the boar once more. Again she landed another hit, this time without the help of the sword art system. The boar seemed to not care and charged at her with even more fierceness in its eyes. As the boar bore down on her, Neo tried to sidestep again. She didn't make it in time and was hit sidelong by the boar. She was knocked aside and fell prone for a short bit before getting back up again.

Can't die now, not when I've just begun. Just think of all the people who wouldn't want to see you go down, the ones that will get you to the top, the ones that want you to be at the top for them. Someone has to get there and I better not take myself out of the running.

Spoiler

Roll ID: #100821

BD: 6 - Hit

MD: 10 - Major Critical Hit

Neo:

HP: 11 (-5 HP): 3 base + 2 crit

Energy: 0 (+1 regen, -1 attack)

Boar:

HP: 4 (-3 HP): 1 base + 1 skill + 1enhancement

Edited by Neopolitan

The boar kept over charging, and Neo decided to use this to her advantage. She took a little bit more time in getting up, making sure she had her balance again before making her move. As she got up, the boar did have enough time to turn around. The boar snorted out of its nostrils and scraped a foot, prepping for the charge. In response, Neo held out her rapier.

The boar charged, but Neo was ready. She sidestepped the boar once again, and this time stuck her blade out just enough to get a swiping blow onto the boar. With the boar's momentum, there was little resistance to the strike. A large red gash was left on the side of the boar, which quickly turned around. It seemed as though it were nearing the end of its health

Just a little more and I should be able to finish it off.

Spoiler

Roll ID: #100823

BD: 6 - Hit

MD: 1 - Critical Miss

Neo:

Energy: 0 (+1 regen, -1 attack)

Boar:

HP: 1 (-3 HP): 1 base + 1 skill + 1 enhancement

Edited by Neopolitan

Neo decided, after seeing it work so well, that the same strategy would be the best idea. As the boar charged at her once again, she attempted to sidestep it. However, the boar was expecting it this time and corrected. Neo was hit hard by the boar, and when she had gotten up she realised that her health bar had turned yellow. It dawned on her that it meant she was starting to get low on health, something that she always feared and why she stayed in the Town of Beginnings for so long.

Come on, I probably only need to land one more hit on this boar. It's shambling around and only charging either because that's what the AI is programmed to do or it's trying to finish me off before I can finish it off. Either way, I need to make sure I stop taking so many hits or I won't be making it back to town.

Spoiler

ROll ID: #100824

BD: 2 - Miss

MD: 9 - Minor Critical Hit

Neo:

HP: 7 (-4 HP): 3 base + 1 crit

ENG: 0 (+1 regen, -2 miss)

Edited by Neopolitan

Neo was staggering up as the boar charged at her once again. She did everything she could to steel herself, knowing that the incoming attack was unavoidable. As the boar hit her, she managed to at least partially deflect the blow with her rapier. However, the thin blade meant that the boar's tusks were still able to scratch at her. As her health bar dipped into the red, she had to wonder whether or not she would be making it out of here alive.

No, I can't think that. There will always be another day, I'm going to make sure of it. I will always see tomorrow, nothing can stop that from happening. I don't care if that tomorrow is virtual or real, just so long as it is eventually real in the end.

Neo got up, more determined than ever. The sun began to settle into dusk, casting the battle into a deep shadow.

Spoiler

Roll ID: #100825

BD: 3 - Miss

MD: 6 - Hit

Neo:

HP: 5 (-3 HP): 3 base

ENG: 0 (+1 regen -2 miss)

Edited by Neopolitan

I won't give up, no matter what. I will fight until there is no more left to fight.

Neo looked at the boar, who was huffing tiredly. She took her advantage and charged at the boar, the tables being turned. Right as she reached the boar, she lunged directly at it. The blade went in, and suddenly the boar shattered into a plethora of pixels. A reward screen popped up showing what she got, another material for her own use and an unidentified weapon.

Wonder what this weapon is, guess I'll have to find out somehow. And an extra material for me to use, that'll be nice later down the road.

She brushed herself off from the fight and went back into the town of beginnings as the sun finished its setting. As she entered, her back was much straighter. She was not the same person who had left the gates that morning.

Spoiler

Combat:

Roll ID: #100826

BD: 9 - Minor Critical Hit

MD: Nullified as boar died prior to getting attack in

Neo:

ENG: 0 (+1 regen -1 regular attack)

Boar:

HP: 0 (-4 HP): 1 base + 1 skill + 1 enhancement + 1 crit

Loot:

Roll ID: #100827

LD: 15

CD: 8

Rewards: 1 T1 Mat, <<Unidentified T1 Rare Weapon>>, 30 Col

Edited by Neopolitan

Neo walks through the city and finds the old man, standing in the same position he was this morning.

"Good, it appears you have found all the materials I requested of you. Now if you would follow me please, I have another task for you to do." The old man guides Neo to a crafting station nearby. "Please make a potion for me, don't worry if you fail. It can take time to get better at something like this."

Neo took her spot at the crafting bench and tried to interact with it. It came up with a prompt asking what she would like to craft, and she picked the only option available, assuming it was the one she needed for the quest. She felt herself being slightly pulled through the motions of mixing together ingredients to make a potion, likely because it was a tutorial, and eventually came up with a potion. She brought it to the old man.

"Very good, you succeeded on your first try, and with quite astonishing results at that. I have on last thing for you to do, please deliver this package to Lyle Tealeaf. He's a local blacksmith that you can find on the opposite side of the plaza."

Neo took the package and headed towards the blacksmith. When she got there, Lyle greeted her warmly.

"Thank you for bringing this to me. If you want to stay, I have a couple things that I could use help with."

Neo nodded for him to continue

Spoiler

Roll ID: #100829

CD: 9 - Rare potion created (quest objective completed)

All quest objectives complete!

Edited by Neopolitan