[PP - F21] A Helping Hand <<Nature's Treasure>> (Shield)

Neo noticed shield going around and clearing some fungus and guessed he must have found something underneath it. She walked over herself and started to help clear everything off of what appeared to be another treasure chest. Though she was unsure of what the odds were, she guessed that Shield likely had some enhancements that were helping him find these at a significantly faster rate than she would be able to. As she was clearing the fungus away, she noticed that one of the mushrooms was actually collectible. Grabbing it, she put it into her inventory and inspected it once the rest of the fungus was clear. Curiously, it was another ingredient.

Seems you can get a material from just about anything in these caverns, even what seems like debris can be useful. Then again, it's not like cooking with mushooms is new or anything, my mother used to make some delicious mushroom soup...

Spoiler

Roll ID: #102393

LD: 10 + 2 = 12 - 1x T3 Mat found

Total: 11x T3 Mats

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fishing CD Results: [1-4: Nothing] [5-6: 1 Material] [7-8: 2 Materials] [9-10: 3 Materials] [11: 4 Materials] [12 + LD 1-14 - 4 Materials] [12 + LD 15+ - Treasure Chest

Using Golden Key

Opening Chest

ID# 102395 LD:10+7=17 CD:1 3,900 Col, 8 T3 Materials, 2 T3 Rare Consumables, 1 T3 Perfect Armor/Shield

Totals:
Col: 8,700
T3 Materials: 39
Rare T3 Materials: 2 [102395a] [102395b]
Perfect T3 Consumables: 1 [102388a]
Perfect T3 Weapons: 2 [102388b] [102388c]
Perfect T3 Armor/Shield: 1 [102395c]

With the debris finally cleared, Shield pulled his key ring from his belt once again and held a fresh key to the lock. Like the last, it vanished with a puff and a metalic clink. The lid popped open, and the familiar inventory readout appeared. Swiping his finger, Shield examined the contents. He let out a low whistle as he looked it over. "Hardly a record, but still nothing to sneeze at. If we keep this up, we should make it out of here with quite the little hoard of treasure."

He collected the contents, making note of the amounts to split things up later on. With that, he returned to the edge of the water. "We've probably pushed our luck plenty with finding loot out of the water. Let me know if you find anything noteworthy out there gathering, but I'm thinking this is the better option for me for now."

Edited by Shield

As Neo looked at what was in the chest, she was once again impressed. There was more stuff here than she ever thought she'd see in a single loot drop. In a sense, it was comforting. She could use that much to her advantage. Though as she thought about it, she realized that this meant the costs of things must be rather high. There was probably a lot of things that cost more than all the Col they had already found. Neo nodded towards Shield as he stated that he was returning to fishing, agreeing that it was unlikely they'd find another chest around here for a bit, and went back to searching for materials on her own. She wished that she had learned to fish, but put it towards the back of her head as she spotted another ingredient to harvest. She grabbed that ingredient and continued to look around for more.

Spoiler

Roll ID: #102396

LD: 10 + 2 = 12 - 1x T3 Mat

Total: 12 T3 Mats

Fishing CD Results: [1-4: Nothing] [5-6: 1 Material] [7-8: 2 Materials] [9-10: 3 Materials] [11: 4 Materials] [12 + LD 1-14 - 4 Materials] [12 + LD 15+ - Treasure Chest

ID# 102397 results: Craft: 7 - 2 Materials

Totals:
T3 Materials: 42

Shield cast out his line, reeling slowly to try to entice something to bite. It was impossible to say for sure whether employing real life fishing techniques actually impacted the fish in Aincrad or if it was all the result of random numbers.

If I really wanted to, I could set up trials where I try to use luring techniques and pick ideal fishing spots, and then have one as a control where I continue to cast in the same spot over and over again with no added technique. But... that sounds like an awful way to spend an afternoon. And honestly, to get reliable results, I would need several days. So... I'm not going to do that.

Fortunately, he didn't have to do much more waiting for his next catch, which bit and dragged the line for a couple of feet before proceeding with a hopeless fight against the skilled angler. With two more materials in his inventory, Shield cast out his line again.

Edited by Shield

As Shield was doing his fishing, Neo kept looking for ingredients. She was getting some variety, though it would feel nice to find something special. She didn't have to search for long. She quickly came upon a delicious looking mushroom that surely must be something special. She double checked to make sure it was collectible before trying to take a small bite. She knew that it might be poisonous and wanted to test that, so she took a small enough bite that the possible poison shouldn't kill her but large enough that she could tell if there was a poison in there or not. After chewing on it for a bit with nothing tasting funny, she swallowed. She waited for the status debuff to appear on her health bar, and it didn't. She quickly grabbed the pair of mushrooms and was happy to have something interesting to cook with, assuming it didn't morph like some of he other materials she had gotten had.

Spoiler

ROll ID: #102398

LD: 20 + 2 = 22 - Found 2x T3 Mats

Total: 14x T3 Mats

ID# 102400 results: Craft: 3 - Nothing

Totals:
T3 Materials: 44

Shield glanced over, seeing Neo take a nibble of something she had found. This made him slightly uneasy, but she was a cook, and hopefully she knew what she was doing.

I would not be brave enough to do that in the real world, but then again, I don't believe Sword Art Online has any fatal poisons. Just paralysis and some minor damaging effects if I remember correctly.

He dismissed his concern. Likely, even if it was poisonous, it would have very little lasting effect. For the moment, his fishing proved fruitless. Granted in the real world, a fishing trip might last all day and result in no actual catches, so they were already ahead on that front. He reeled in his line and cast again, hoping to land in a more successful spot this time.

Again, assuming that there are more or less successful spots and not just a big area that generates arbitrary random catch chances.

Edited by Shield

After grabbing the mushroom, Neo couldn't seem to find any more ingredients. She was fine with that though, she had already found far more than she would likely need for some time. Of course, it would be a good idea still to stock up as much as possible especially considering she had used some of her own cooking and at his level she wouldn't be able to use these materials for herself for quite some time. Wishing she could figure out ways to draw in more customers, Neo went over and sat by Shield for a little bit to enjoy the calming water. She had only been to the sea once when she was a little girl, her parents rarely traveled, and was completely enamored by it. Though this water didn't reach quite the same effect, it was still hard not to be amazed at how the calm surface could hide such interesting mysteries.

Spoiler

Roll ID: #102402

LD: 3 + 2 = 5 - No mats

ID# 102404 results: Craft: 7 - 2 Materials

Totals:
T3 Materials: 46

To his surprise, Neo came and took a seat not far away from him. Shield kept his eyes forward. He didn't mind chatting, but silence suited him just as well. The cavern was a silent one. Occasionally, something would settle in the background or a droplet of water would fall from a stalactite into the pool, but as time passed, even the surface of the eater became more and more still. Without the chaos of fish, it became almost mirror-like, with only the slightest rippling.

"In actual caves, the water becomes so still that you can't tell there's even water," he said, remembering the few he had been in back in the real world. "The stalactites are reflected in the surface and it looks like there's just a lot of stalagmites on the ground in that space. When your brain realizes it's a perfect reflection and that it's not real, it works a number on your perception."

Just as he was letting himself get distracted, his pole began to flex once again, and he yanked hard to snag the fish's lip properly before reeling it in. This one put up a fight, but not enough of one to slow Shield down much, if at all. It fell into two cuts of meat on the shore, and he packed them up with the rest.

Edited by Shield

As Shield talked about the magic that was the stillness of the water, Neo continued to be enamored by it. It drew her in, almost like a portal wanting to take her to another world. She felt like she entered a fake world within this false world, and got lost in it. She peered deeper into it and was only brought out by the ripples that Shield's line created. Neo shook her head to clear it and quickly got up. As nice of a feeling that it was, she needed to be working on finding more ingredients. She needed to bring all the help that she could to the front lines. It was all she could do until she was powerful enough to fight there.

Spoiler

Roll ID: #102426

LD: 4 + 2 = 6 - No Mats

ID# 102427 results: Craft: 12,  Loot: 8+12=20 - Chest Found!

Totals:
T3 Materials: 46

For a while, the silence stretched on, and it didn't bother Shield one bit. His shop had been chaotic for some time, and most of the quests he had been working to clear were full of clamor. He almost forgot Neo was there altogether. Until she stood up, very little disturbed the calm of the chamber. As he detected the movement in his peripheral vision, he remembered to see to his line. There hadn't been any bites or else he would have been brought back to reality far sooner.

Her went to reel in his line, but as he wound it up, his pole started to bend. He was snagged, which on this floor meant one thing. "I got another one," he announced triumphantly, pulling on his line to dislodge the chest from the muddy lake bottom. It moved sluggishly through the water, but with a little muscle and patience, he soon saw the lid rise up out of the water near the shore. 

Edited by Shield

Soon after she got up, Neo heard Shield's exclamation and turned around to see what he had caught. Seeing that it was another chest, Neo left him to open it. He was the one with the gear and Neo didn't want to interfere with his groove of finding things. SHe would look back when he showed the rewards. In the meantime, she went for another look around to find some more materials to harvest. It didn't take her long as she found more materials yet again.

There certainly seems to be an abundance of things here for people to gather, it's no wonder that this is a favored fishing spot. I don't know if there is anywhere better to get these materials. I just hope that I can get to a high enough level soon that I can actually make use of the items I can make with these materials.

Spoiler

Roll ID: #102428

LD: 12 + 2 = 14 - found 1x T3 Mat

Total: 15x T3 Mats

Using Golden Key

Opening Chest:

ID# 102429 LD:1+7=8 CD:6 1,800 Col, 3 T3 Materials, 2 T3 Rare Consumables

Totals:
Col: 10,500
T3 Materials: 50
Rare T3 Materials: 4 [102395a] [102395b] [102429a] [102429b]

Shield was quick to pull his key ring from his belt, consuming another of the little tools only to find a much less impressive haul than the previous chests. He sighed and dismissed the window. "Well, I suppose you can't win 'em all. I'm sure we'll find more before calling it a day anyway." The chest shattered like those before it, its contents and durability both depleted.

Taking long strides, Shield made his way back over to his fishing spot a little ways up the bank. He liked the position there. It gave him plenty of foot room if he needed to plant himself for a tough catch, but he wasn't so far away that he had to walk far to retrieve anything he managed to catch. With the excitement of the last find having wound up to such an anticlimactic conclusion, he relaxed back into his fishing routine, casting out his line and reeling it slowly back in.

Edited by Shield

As Shield lamented about the worse quality of the chest, Neo just let out a silent breath of relief. She didn't want to have to help fight a mimic. Though it was likely that Shield could keep it focused on him, Neo wouldn't be able to put out nearly enough damage to be useful and just be in the way of things. Of course, she had never seen a mimic, only heard about them and seen them in some player's death messages. They sounded like terrifying beasts that no one would ever want to fight. Of course, being a high-level player, Neo guessed that people like Shield didn't need to worry about it. Clearing the worry from her face, Neo returned to searching. She wasn't able to find anything again, but just guessed that that was because she had worn out the spawns.

Hopefully they respawn soon, I would love to get another batch before we decide to pack up and leave.

Spoiler

Roll ID: #102431

LD: 3 + 2 = 5 - No Mats found

Total: 15x T3 Mats

ID# 102432 results: Craft: 1 - Nothing

Totals:
T3 Materials: 50

As he continued casting and recasting his line, for some time to no avail, something itched at the back of Shield's mind. "Come to think of it..." he pulled from his memory of the area's properties from the first time a broker had informed him of the spot. "If I remember correctly, I don't think there have ever been reports of mimics in here. Granted, that was all second hand information from a broker back when the floor was still fairly unexplored, but still, I have a feeling we're safe here." He pulled in his empty hook once again, frowned, and cast it back out one more time.

"I mean, by now, I would have fished up half a dozen lesser mobs and a boss by now," he speculated. "If this area spawns monsters at all, it usually seems to be when one is specifically looking for trouble. It's not quite a safe zone, but it seems to be a step down from that."

Edited by Shield

Neo reached for another couple of ingredients as she listened to Shield talk about the areas apparent lack of monster spawns. It seemed odd, as sadistic as the creator of the game seemed to be, there didn't seem to be any of that cruelty put into the mechanics of the game itself. Aside from the difficulty and the permanent death. this game was actually pretty generous to its players. Maybe it was the programmers that thought the original idea was to hard, or perhaps there was a soft side to their game master. Neo hoped that when she got out, she could find him and ask him. Though if Neo had to guess he was either arrested or dead by now. There were parents suing purely because their kid played too much by choice, and now they were actually stuck. Neo could only imagine the hell being raised by people back in the real world. She hoped that one day she'd get to learn just what has happened while they've been trapped inside this world.

Spoiler

Roll ID: #102434

LD: 16 + 2 = 18 - FOund 2x T3 Mats

Total: 17x T3 Mats

ID# 102435 results: Craft: 7 - 2 Materials

Totals:
T3 Materials: 54

"You know, it seems odd, as sadistic as Akihiko Kayaba seems to be, that there doesn't seem to be any of that cruelty put into the mechanics of the game itself," he mused aloud, oblivious to how redundant such observations would sound to Neo. "Aside from the difficulty and the permanent death, Sword Art Online is actually pretty generous to its players. Maybe it was the programmers that thought the original version was too hard, or perhaps there was a soft side to Kayaba after all."

He lazed back, looking at the ceiling and continuing in a would-be intellectual fashion. "I hope that when I get out, I can find him and ask him. Though if I had to guess, he will either be arrested or dead by now." The sound of his fishing reel brought him back into the moment, and he pulled in a respectable catch, adding the dual cuts of meat to his stores.

Edited by Shield

Neo stood still in shock for a moment as she listened to Shield thinking along the exact same lines as her without even realizing it. Perhaps it was the similarities between the two of them for being the kind of person to play a game on launch day, or maybe the adage of great minds thinking alike really was true. Either way, it seemed the two had enough in common to wonder about the same things. Neo didn't really let on to it and went to grab a couple more materials that she spotted hanging near the shore of the river. It was odd enough to find a place where no monsters came in to prey on you, Neo didn't want to have to think too hardly about the oddities of having the exact same train of thought with someone she barely knew. She grabbed the materials and let the thoughts of her shop engulf her for the time being.

Spoiler

Roll ID: #102436

LD: 19 + 2 = 21 - 2x T3 Mats found

Total: 19x T3 mats found

ID# 102437 results: Craft: 3 - Nothing

Totals:
T3 Materials: 56

Shield continued throwing out his line, letting the lure sit out in the water for a minute until the ripples settled before pulling it back in. In the real world the impact might spook some fish away, and they might be less likely to chase a lure. Then again, the size of fish he was pulling in today would not be small enough to be spooked by such a small impact on the water.

He decided to take a break. The fish seemed to be biting very inconsistently at the moment, and if there was a respawn timer on the, he might as well try to wait out the clock. If nothing else, there might be more chests to find elsewhere. He stood and dusted himself, adjusting his earring so make sure there was no hair in the way to block the light it might issue. It was, after all, his little divining rod.

Edited by Shield

As Neo saw Shield get up to take a break from fishing, she decided to take a closer look at the water's edge. Sure enough, there was a couple of water plants there just waiting to be harvested. Neo quickly grabbed them, careful to avoid tangling herself with the fishing line. It seemed that the developers had really gone minimalistic on the fishing line texture, so much so that Neo could hardly see it. Maybe it was just the lack of direct light, it was rather dark in the cave. After grabbing those two plants, Neo took a seat once again. Though she was fine with walking some more, it seemed almost as though she and Shield were taking turns sitting. They didn't need to, but it was a fun little coincidence that was happening. Neo turned around to look at where Shield was going, he seemed to have a pretty good hunch for things when it came to getting loot from this place.

Spoiler

Roll ID: #102439

LD: 13 + 2 = 15 - Found 2x T3 Mats

Total: 21x T3 mats found

Searching for Chest: ID# 102440 results: Loot: 7+12=19 - Chest Found!

Totals:
T3 Materials: 58

There was no specific direction to his wandering as he patrolled the lake's edge for loot. Sure, it was best to avoid retracing his steps, which he did, but other than that he just tried to keep his eyes peeled. He noticed his earring before he noticed anything unusual in his actual surroundings. The faint glow on his shoulder caught his eye, and it only grew brighter as he wandered on around the lake's edge. Soon though, it began to grow dimmer again. He doubled back, hoping to discover whatever it was he had clearly missed. There, hidden in a small hollow in the ground, was the visible handle of a chest.

He knelt down, looking more closely. The opening was really only visible from a certain angle, so it was no wonder he had missed it before. What was more, this seemed to be a clear case of breaking the fourth wall, since there was no way the lid would be able to open in its tight fitting nook, and there was no way it could fit through the tiny opening, but Shield's arm and a key would be more than enough to get it an engage the unlocking process.

Edited by Shield