[PP-01] <<Katana Acquisition>> w/ Oscar

Cordelia fumbled with her menu as she wrote a small message to the only person she could really help her with whatever was going on. 

Spoiler

To: @Oscar

You have a katana, right? Can you come to the exit of the Town of Beginnings to help me with some stuff for a little bit?

She sniffed as she leaned against the cobbled exit. Maybe she had been too irrational when making this decision. She was so used to using a rapier, but how was it going to be when she welded something with two hands. Rapiers were quick. She wasn't sure how a katana was going to work when she was so used to making an attack with just a quick flick of her hand. 

At least it looked cooler. 

She admired a rapier's slim design but she had to admit, katanas do look cooler. Just look at it! 

She was really doing the best in terms of damage with her rapier either... It was fine! But considering that she was just a straight damage DPS, maybe a rapier wasn't the best fit for her.

Oscar was surprised indeed to receive a message from Cordelia. Especially since their last encounter had ended so... awkwardly. He would be lying if he said that it didn't still sting, but it wasn't as if he really had any say in the matter. What he didn't like, however, was being a dog on a leash, coming whenever she called. He had stuff to do. Important stuff. Hot dog-related stuff. But, he had no customers. He sighed and smacked his lips as he looked out over his empty shop. "You got lucky today Cordelia." He grabbed Yukianesa and was out the door, taking a leisurely stroll down to the front gate of the Town of Beginnings. Sure enough, there was Cordelia, leaning against the wall. And... she didn't have her rapier? What was going on? Did she need help finding it? He approached, a puzzled look on his face. "So... What happened to your pokey stick?"

Cordelia nearly yelped out loud when Oscar came. 

"Oh," she mumbled, scratching the back of her neck bashfully. "I... don't want to use it anymore. I traded my rapier skill for a curved sword one. It doesn't do enough damage to get me on to the front lines, so I thought it would be a good idea to change to a new weapon..." she trailed off, tapping the tips of her fingers together with a small sniff. "Specifically a katana. So I thought that you could help me with that," she said, a hopeful appearing in her eyes before she looked down dejectedly.

"But I understand if I'm bothering you or something of that sort," she added, casting him a small shrug. "I understand if this encounter is... uncomfortable for you. So I guess I'll just take my leave," Cordelia mumbled, giving him a slight nod before getting ready to head out.

Oscar could only laugh as Cordelia tried to wiggle her way out of getting trained in the ways of nippon steel by him. He shook his head, chuckling as he navigated his menus. With the press of a button, a jet-black katana manifested in a flash of light. The red inlay on the handle was the only bit of color on the otherwise dark weapon. He tossed it to her with a smile. "You didn't want the Hoya, but I think you'll want that," he said with a grin. He was happy that <<Bloody Howl>> was going to find use in someone else's hands. It had served him very well for several levels. He'd keep using it if there was any way to upgrade it to a new tier. "That's the Katana that got me through my first 25 levels. It was crafted here in the Town of Beginnings by one of the best blacksmiths in the game. It seems fitting that if I was going to pass the torch to anyone, it would be you. But first, we need to see what you got." The only way to truly unlock the Katana skill was to fight with it. Specifically, to cut something with it. For that, they would need to duel. He opened his menus and sent the duel request to Cordelia. Maybe this would be a little therapeutic. Perhaps give him a little closure to her summary rejection of him. Either way, it was a win-win. She'd learn how to wield the objectively better-than-a-rapier Katana and Oscar had an excuse to bust out a little bit.

Cordelia caught the weapon and she almost went down with it. It was heavier than she had expected. Way heavier than her rapier was.

"I see," she mumbled, examining Bloody Howl with an unsure look. She stared blankly at the duel request. She still didn't have any accuracy enhancements, yet. 

"Alright," she sniffed, accepting the request with a small frown.

Yeah, her pride was going to be ruined today. 

Once the duel had started, she charged after him. She felt utterly useless, though. No sword arts. No accuracy. How the heck was she going to do this? 

With Bloody Howl trailing next to her, she aimed for a basic attack-- and missed. Lovely! She was not used to this at all. Was she ever going to get used to all of this extra weight in her hands? With both of her hands? She was so used to being able to just slash with one hand!

Spoiler

ID: 124549 

BD: 4-3=1, Miss

Cordelia: HP: 440/440 | EN: 43/44 | 9 DMG [it doesnt even maTteR | 3 EVA | 1 SAVVY | 2 KEEN

Oscar: ???

Spoiler

Oscar HP 600 | EN 56 | 15 DMG | 2 ACC | 3 EVA | 41 MIT | ID: 124550

Ukifune[x2 Stun] to Cordelia. BD7+2-3. Deal 30 DMG

Cordelia 410/440 HP | 43 EN | 1 DMG | 0 ACC | 3 EVA | 1 SAVVY
Cordelia is Stunned.

Oscar danced past her blade, whirling around as it sailed harmlessly past him. She didn't even touch his coat! It was to be expected, however. She had only just picked up the katana and Oscar had been training with it for months. But it was time to showcase some of the strengths of the weapon. Namely, it's stunning potential. But he didn't want to hit her too hard. So, he was stuck using tier one Sword Arts. Anything stronger and he could actually wind up killing her! So, Ukifune it was. He whirled around and, using the flat of his blade, caught her under the chin and sent her sailing into the air. She would land in a crumpled heap, stunned and sore from the strike. Oscar merely let his sword arm dangle limply at his side as he smirked at her. He was right. This was a little therapeutic. Not that he would ever admit that. 

Edited by Oscar

Cordelia's eyes widened as she was launched into the air. Wasn't this a little too harsh for just training for the first time?

"Frick," she muttered right before she had landed. "Well, that wasn't fair," she mumbled hotly, feeling herself lose all the control she had in her body. "Did you have to use a stun sword art?" She muttered, narrowing her eyes at him for a brief second. How was she going to use her katana if he stunned her? Plus, how was she even going to hit him in general? No accuracy, and his evasiveness matched hers! 

Well, this sucked. You know, being immobilized. 

Ah, she could literally hear her pride being flushed down the toilet.

Spoiler

No Action Taken

Cordelia: HP: 410/440 | EN: 44/44 | 9 DMG [it doesnt even maTteR | 3 EVA | 1 SAVVY | 2 KEEN [STUNNED]

Oscar: HP 600 | EN 60 | 15 DMG | 2 ACC | 3 EVA | 41 MIT

"Yup," came Oscar's gleeful reply. He twisted his blade in his hand and then launched into a fierce barrage of strikes. Though he hit nothing in particular, the wind he whipped up was powerful indeed. It would ram into Cordelia, sending her flying again. This time, he would come to rest against the wall of the city, taking damage and manifesting the <<Immortal Object>> tag upon impact. Oscar twisted his wrist, flourishing his blade and then pointed it at her. That was about as much damage as he was willing to deal to her. He'd have to go with Basic Attacks from now on to give her some shot at successfully unlocking the skill. Though he was a little upset, that wasn't any reason to do any lasting damage. He smiled and walked over to her, offering her a hand to help her off the ground. He wanted her to succeed, but she had to do it through her own ability.

Spoiler

Oscar HP 600 | EN 50 | 15 DMG | 2 ACC | 3 EVA | 41 MIT | ID: 124551

Haku Senpu[x8] to Cordelia. BD5+2. Deal 120 DMG

Cordelia 290/440 HP | 43 EN | 1 DMG | 0 ACC | 3 EVA | 1 SAVVY

Edited by Oscar

"This fight isn't fair-" She got cut off when she was launched back on to the wall by an attack with... wind? What was this?! Some kind of of action movie? 

She wheezed as she impacted with the wall. "Holy-" She choked out just before she fell back to the ground. It didn't hurt, but dang, it was enough to make the air leave her lungs. "My stars," she murmured lowly, wiping her mouth with her sleeve. 

She frowned at him and his hand before letting out a grudging sigh. She grabbed his hand and pulled herself up with a sheepish expression. Well, this was embarrassing. 

She gulped and gripped her katana tighter. "Alright, let's carry on," she muttered, going after another attack-- and she missed, again. She wasn't fond of cursing but holy [doo doo], this was making her frustrated.

Maybe he was mad. Well, it wouldn't be completely unreasonable if he was. 

Spoiler

ID: 124552

BD: 5-3=2, Fail

Oscar HP 600 | EN 56 | 15 DMG | 2 ACC | 3 EVA | 41 MIT 
Cordelia 290/440 HP | 42/44 EN | 1 DMG | 0 ACC | 3 EVA | 1 SAVVY

Spoiler

Oscar HP 600 | EN 50 | 15 DMG | 2 ACC | 3 EVA | 41 MIT | ID: 124560

Haku Senpu[x8] to Cordelia. BD6+2-3. Miss.

Cordelia 290/440 HP | 43 EN | 1 DMG | 0 ACC | 3 EVA | 1 SAVVY

Oscar swung his blade as Cordelia's feet connected with the ground. Despite her completely breaking his heart by rejecting him, he still found himself enamored by her. This threw off his focus just enough for him to miss his strike entirely. He swore under his breath, having sworn he wouldn't let that happen again. But he just couldn't help it, it seemed. She had a grip on him that no one had ever really possessed before. Whether she intended to or not, she was abusing the heck out of that advantage. His blow had left him open. She could strike now and land her tag if she remained focused. Oscar couldn't do anything to stop her. He sighed, resigning himself to his fate. There was nothing to do now but wait for the strike to come. If it didn't, then she'd just have to work all the harder to get another opportunity like this.

Edited by Oscar

Cordelia bit her lip as she whirled to his side. Finally, a chance to hit him. She's been waiting for this for what felt like hours!

With Bloody Howl swinging beside her, she swung at Oscar's side.

Shwing!

"Aha!" She exclaimed, a victorious grin on her face as she looked up at Oscar. Though, the katana had barely left a scratch in his armor, it was still a hit! "I did it!" She chirped, removing the sword from Oscar. 

"It's still a lot heavier than I would like, but I think I can get used to it soon," she added, swing the katana in front of her multiple times with a small smile. Just wait. She'll be on top one day. One day.  

"I'll even be as good as you one day, though!" She stopped swinging the sword and looked at Oscar with an excited grin. "Maybe I'll even be able to beat you soon!"

Spoiler

ID: 124561

BD: 9, Hit

Oscar HP 559 | EN 50 | 15 DMG | 2 ACC | 3 EVA | 41 MIT | [BLEED]

Cordelia 290/440 HP | 43 EN | 1 DMG | 0 ACC | 3 EVA | 1 SAVVY

She managed to score a hit. It barely plinked off of his armor, but it was a hit nonetheless. On the one hand, he was happy that she had finally unlocked the skill. But on the other, he was rather irritated that he had to end the duel so soon. He was actually having fun, all things considered. Oscar rifled through his menus and forfeited the duel, allowing both him and Cordelia to exit combat and regenerate their health and energy. Cordelia needed it far more than he did. His passive regeneration out-healed the pitiful damage the bleed did to his health bar. He gave Cordelia a smile and sheathed his blade. One thing was for certain: he was glad to have another katana wielder in his circle of friends. She might be a touch disappointed with the AoE at Rank 5, but other than that, it was a solid weapon. "You can keep the sword, by the way. Consider it a gift for unlocking your Katana skill."

She nodded slightly and put the sword in her inventory. 

"I might need a new one soon since I'm going to be hitting tier two any day now, but thank you, anyway," she beamed giving him a small bow of appreciation. "Thanks for helping me on this. I didn't really know who else to call to help me," she said bashfully, chuckling to herself as she averted her eyes to the ground.

"Not that many people use katanas, anymore. Probably because it's such a hassle to actually get the skill, but I think it's pretty cool!" She chirped, crossing her arms with a jolly grin. "Makes me feel like I earned it. You don't get to feel that too often in Aincrad. Well, for me at least."

She remained silent for a few seconds. Well, what could she really say? There wasn't that much to really say to a person she had just rejected just a few days ago.

"So, uhm," she mumbled hotly, rubbing her elbows. "How have things been for you lately?"

Oscar shrugged. "How is it usually when your heart is broken by a woman," he answered honestly.

The answer was "not great."

He felt no reason to lie to her. Despite everything, Oscar was still completely honest with her. If he kept his distance, everything was fine. He could distract himself. Busy himself with cooking or leveling or doing a random quest. But seeing her right in front of him dredged up those feelings all over again. And with them came the ache in his chest. That undeniable shattering sensation, as if his heart were fracturing with every breath she took. A wiser man would simply ignore her. Pretend she didn't exist. But Oscar wasn't that wise. He didn't want to do that, no matter how much his heart begged him to. Leave it be, it pleaded with him. Let her go. And he had tried to do that. To put his feelings aside. To spare himself the heartache. But he just couldn't. There was just something about her that gravitated him back to her, no matter how hard he tried to shake it.

A moment of awkward silence passed between them as he let his words loom over the two of them. Then, he slapped on his trademark smile and shook his head. "But I'm managing. How have you been?" Just smile through the pain. Fake it 'til you make it. Maybe you'll get over it if you pretend everything is alright. A lie, but a necessary one. One that he told himself over and over again. He recalled a nugget of the Major's sound advice. I don't care how old you get, heartache hurts like hell. Oscar had to bite back a laugh. When the old man was right, he was right.

"A-ah," she sputtered, "I see," she coughed awkwardly. 

Well.

She wasn't expecting that. Relationships felt so... useless to her. What her parents had wasn't what she wanted. Though, if it was with Oscar, she think it would be... different. 

She felt so confused, now. What was even love, anymore? It was such a childish question, but she didn't understand! Was what her parents had love? She felt like some cliche character in a romantic book. Someone who didn't know what love was. She scoffed, what a stupid concept. 

"I've seen better days," she mumbled, kicking her feet childishly at the ground. "Just a bunch of reliving memories and all of that. Not exactly the most pleasant thing to be doing for me," she sniffed, scratching the side of her neck. Sure, training with Pacco was fun, but she was pretty sure more than half of the day was spent being emotional and having not-so-good memories.

She had her hooks in him again. He simply couldn't stand to see her upset. Despite his better judgement, he decided to ask. "What kind of memories are they?"

Idiot. You should be getting distance. Stop doubling down on her. It's a crappy bet.

And perhaps it was. She had crushed him, of course. But then again, Oscar was also a therapist. He couldn't stand to see anyone suffer if he had the ability to do something about it. Perhaps some closure would help her move forward. With or without him, everyone deserved a chance to keep moving. He could see on her face the turmoil that she was in. She had never let him be privy to those memories before, but then again, he had never asked. Perhaps some work would help put these issues he had to bed. Invoke memories of better times when he wasn't trapped in a video game by a psychopath. Or perhaps not. Either way, he was a helper. She just needed to let him help.

Prying people weren't her most favorite kind of people, but it seemed different when it came to Oscar. Maybe it was-- used to be his job to be asking these type of questions? She wasn't stupid like some angsty teenager, she knew that she was going to have to spill to someone at one point. It was just always the problem of finding who she could trust. Who knows, maybe Oscar was that person?

"Well," she mumbled almost inaudibly. "I didn't..." She paused. scratching her arm, unsure of really how to explain whatever this was. 

"I was rich-" she cut herself as she put her hands in front of her to actually emphasize how this actually was. "My parents were loaded. Let's just say that," she paused again, holding a fist in front of her mouth as she coughed awkwardly. 

"Actually, that probably wasn't the best part to start at."

"No, no, I get it. Parents were loaded but weren't emotionally available? You had everything you ever wanted except their attention?"

It was something Oscar had seen all too often. You'd be surprised how many kids on the streets actually came from affluent families. They just get tired of being emotionally neglected and run off, trying to strike out on their own. Things don't have souls, after all. What they craved more than anything was freedom. To escape their gilded cage. Suddenly Oscar understood more about her than she probably meant to convey. He smiled and crossed over to her. His green orbs locked onto hers and she spoke bluntly and plainly. "You can fly as high as you want Cordelia. I'm not going to clip your wings. In fact, I'm looking forward to seeing just how far you go. Despite what happened between us, I'm right here. I got your back okay?" He didn't know if that was what she needed or wanted to hear. But it needed to be said anyway.

"I'm not sure," she huffed, massaging the bridge of her nose with a small sigh. "Something along the lines of that, I guess. I could care less about my 'parents'," Cordelia mumbled, making quotes with her hands. "They could die in a dirty ditch off the side of the road for all I care," the girl scoffed, rolling her eyes with a grimace. 

Yeah, you could probably tell that she simply disliked her parents. Not hate! Just disliked. 

"Thanks," she murmured, giving him a small smile as she rubbed her arm uncomfortably. 

"Well," she paused, giving him a small bow of appreciation. "Thank you for helping me with this. Apologies if I wasted your time or anything like that," she said, nodding to him.

"I think I'm going to head back to my room. See you again later," she mumbled awkwardly, giving Oscar a small wave and grin before walking away.

Oscar nodded and let her go. Clearly she had some things she needed to come to terms with. Oscar headed back home for the night. As much as he hated to see Bloody Howl go, he was happy it was in the hands of someone who could put it to good use. Macradon would also be happy to see the work produced at his shop being used to help up-and-comers become stronger. He teleported back to Deepedge and began making the trek home. He arrived just as the sun was setting. He unlocked the door and stepped inside, the lights coming to life to herald his return. Leeroy and Jenkins came barreling down the stairs, tackling his owner as both heads licked his face. The hound certainly livened things up around here. He headed for the kitchen and made them some dinner. Then, he screwed around for a bit before heading to bed. It was a pretty good day, all-in-all. Could have been better, but he had no complaints.