[F03-PP] Call it Strife -- <<Search for the Hoya>>

"Okay, what gives?" NIGHT berated the voice behind the pillar. Her tiny kitten was waddling near by, and was picked up by a hand by the figure behind the structure. "Is that how it's supposed to work? The same information given to multiple players?"

"Hey, remember. Don't shoot the messenger." The information broker replied, doing something that was making Nyanko meow. "There's no guarantee that the player you met was tipped off by me."

"Guuhhh..." she moaned, her face in a hand. "Fine, whatever."

"Didn't expect you to be so ticked off though," the voice commented. "Care to share?"

"Yeah, no."

"If you say so."

"Look," NIGHT clarified, dropping a pouch of col by the pillar again. "Just... give me another lead. Okay?" A hand snatched up the col pouch, and Nyanko was set down on the floor. He meeped and strutted around NIGHT's feet, feeling safe and homely. As the voice murmured her counting, her client put in another quip. "And if you're really interested in what we've gone through... At least buy us dinner or something, right?"

The voice hushed her, and NIGHT sighed in response. "Okay." A pause. "There're two minotaurs. Third floor. Level 10 enemies," she stopped, before starting again. "There's a pendant in a tomb. You have to get past the minotaurs to retrieve it."

"It's... a pendant. What's so special about it?"

"Not the pendant," she corrected. "The minotaurs. The pendant's just the icing on the cake. EXP, remember?"

NIGHT breathed, trying to calm down. "Yeah," she said, picking up Nyanko and setting him gently into her pocket once more, getting ready to head out. "Yeah, okay. Thanks."

"Anytime. As long as you have the col, that is."

She could only roll her eyes as the information broker left in a rush, footsteps resounding behind her. Glancing at her kitten, she informed him with a wry smile. "Another adventure, let's hope it goes better this time."

"Mew!!"

@Yukiro

Spoiler

NIGHT 
Lv: 12 | HP: 240 | EN: 24 | SP: 29
DMG: 8 | MIT: 8 | ACC: 2 | EVA: -

RECOVERY: 2 | THORNS: 2

[Skills]

1. Two-Handed Straight Sword | Passive | RANK 2/5
  2. Heavy Armor | Passive | RANK 1/5
  3. - - -

[Examine]

• [T1E3] Doombringer
    "WEAPON: A black broadsword; large, heavy and sturdy. The edge is lined with silver, and its guards are decorated with gold. It looks like it's been sharpened to a tee, so handle it with care."
    -- [ Damage III | +3 DMG. ]
  • [T1E2] Reinforced Crystal-streaked Ear Cuffs
    "TRINKET: A long, smooth and wrapping silver ear cuff, with a thick blue crystalline streak running across it. Much more durable than its counter part."
    -- [ Recovery II | Regain 2 additional energy on natural CD rolls of 6+. ]
  • [T1E2] Spiked Metal Pauldron
    "HEAVY ARMOR: A round, silver, metal pauldron. for some odd reason, it's got obvious spikes jutting out of it. This probably isn't very safe to handle... It has a bell attached for unknown reasons."
    [ Thorns II | Successful non-critical attacks against you deal 18 unmitigated damage to the attacking enemy. Only activates on damage dealing, melee attacks. ]

- - - - - -

• Starter Healing Potions (3) --- Heals 50 HP.
  • [T1] Uncommon Health Potions (5) --- Heals 40 HP.
  • [T1] Over-health Potion (1) --- Provides 50 temporary HP.

[Misc]

• Familiar Mastery <Accurate> from Nyanko
    -- [ Accuracy II | +2 BD when attacking. Cannot be used to cause a critical hit. ]
  • Aincrad Trading Post Guild Membership
    -- [ ATP Guild Bonus | +5% more col from killed mobs, +10% col from treasure chests. ]
Edited by NIGHT
Spoiler

Yukiro

LEVEL 14
280 HP | 28 EN | 10 DMG | 2 ACC | 18 MIT | 3 EVA | 1 REG 

Skills:
2H Straight Sword - Rk 3

Skill Mods:
Familiar Mastery Accurate Rk 2

Equipped:

• "Sterondight" - 2H Straight Sword (T1 Perfect) DMG x3
  • "Nightmare Overcoat" - Light Armor (T1 - Perfect) MIT x2 Prevent 18 damage from successful attacks against you | REG x1 After taking damage, gain Regen at the beginning of your next turn. Heal 5 HP every turn for three rounds. Damage over time effects (Bleed, Poison) will not trigger Regen. Does not stack with Battle Healing. Taking damage while Regen is active will refresh it to its full duration.
  • "Ravenfeather Treads" - Light Armor (T1 - Perfect) EVA x3 Reduces the die value by 3 on an enemy’s attack against you. Cannot be used to avoid a critical hit.

Equipped Vanity Items:

• "Amber Clover Pendant" - Vanity - LD x2
  • "Witcher's Vambraces" - Vanity - Thorns x2
  • "Jack's Purgatory" - Vanity - Cursed//Burn//Blight//Freeze

Familiar: 

• Yumi - Familiar Mastery: Accurate - ACC x2

Battle-ready Items:

T1 Health Potions of Uncommon Quality (+40HP) x5
Starter Healing Potions (Heals 50 HP) x3
Crystal of Agile Dragon Wings (Teleport crystal) x2
T1 Damage Potion. (+1 Damage) x1
T1 Over-Health Potion (+50 Temp. HP) x2

Items:
"Cloak of Twisted Worlds" - Light Armor (T1 -  Rare) EVA x2 
"Leggings of Shattered Torment" - Light Armor (T1 - Rare) 18 MIT 
Vicious Dragon-Fang Potion (+3 Damage for a thread) x1
Antidote

It was unusual for her to call Yukiro to a place that wasn't secluded and, quite frankly, that wasn't suspicious. Which is why it felt even more suspicious when he was called to a face-to-face meeting at a cafe. He sat there with his arms and legs crossed and a hot drink on the table, tapping his foot in annoyance and anticipation. It wasn't long before someone in a light black cloak with the hood drawn over her face sat down opposite of him. 

"Let me get to the point," she said. Her voice confirmed it, she was the info broker he'd been working with. He'd never seen her up close like this before. "There's a quest on floor three. Two minotaurs, both are supposed to be about as tough as that wasp from yesterday."

"Hm. Alright, send me the coordinates. But first," Yukiro leaned in much closer, "As far as you know, is anyone else going to be there?"

The info broker paused. "I could tell you. But it would cost you extra--"

She was cut off by the sound of Yukiro sending her the col. More than usual. 

"This is something I need to know. Who else is going there today?"

"...Fine. I told another player about it today. Her name is NIGHT--"

"And you told her about my quest yesterday," Yukiro stopped her. He stood up, and the girl followed his lead. "I'm gonna go do this while I still can. Anything else I should know?"

"There's a reward. A pendant deep in the cave. It's coveted a fair amount," she told him. 

Yukiro nodded and turned to go to the teleporter. 

@NIGHT

Up the teleporter she went. Nyanko peeped his little head out, watching the crowd of players with wonder. With a bright white light that surrounded them, they were carried away to the third floor.

NIGHT pulled up her inbox again, checking for the further detailed information from the broker. Forest of Wavering Mist -- she'd seen the entrance to it once, when she was out hunting a thief with Lonzo, but they didn't approach it. Probably for the better back then.

"... Spiders?"

She didn't say anything about spiders. Wait-- oh.

NIGHT groaned as she closed the message. The broker must've caught onto her phobia, she guessed, which is why she's only seeing it now. Beginning her stroll, she began to brood, upset by the events of yesterday and right this moment.

But a peep offered a sense of relief. Picking up Nyanko, who was eager to leave his tinsy pocket prison, she coddled and kissed him gently. "Yeah, okay, you're right," she whispered to the kitten, who nuzzled up to her with a purr. "I'll let it go. Thank you, Nyanko."

@Yukiro

Yukiro hurried to the teleporter in the center of the Town of Beginnings. He couldn't afford to waste time; he needed to get to NIGHT before she took on the quest without him. This was in part because he was worried for her safety in taking on this quest alone, but in reality, he was still upset over the Wasp Queen incident. If she took this quest from him too, Yukiro might snap at her. And he didn't want to do that. 

As he reached the teleported he heard a message arrive. 

"Teleport Delilah."

Yukiro was whisked away by the blueish light and soon deposited in the third floors biggest settlement. He took a quick glance around. NIGHT wasn't in sight. Yukiro checked his messages and started in the direction of the quest. If he hurried he should be able to overtake NIGHT and avoid the same incident as last time. He set off in a jogging pace. 

@NIGHT

NIGHT hadn't expected anyone to come after her, mostly due to the fact that she found her days to be relatively peaceful, with just Nyanko and herself. Kitten on her shoulder this time, she was enjoying the walk through the forest when she heard a tapping of feet from behind her.

Behind a tree she went. The fog in the forest was dense, so much so she wondered if the person behind her would notice her presence at all. Glancing in their direction, she strained her eyes to find a nameplate. Nothing -- until a beat later. Looks like... Yukiro. Again.

I really have to verify my sources, NIGHT figured, gritting her teeth. She was just in a better mood, and wasn't ready to let go of it just yet. As she contemplated on staying still and letting him pass (at least she wouldn't be lost in the forest if he knew the way out), Nyanko brushed against her cheek and mewed.

As much as she loved her familiar, she looked at him with a stare of shock and disappointment mixed together. Was that loud enough for her (friend? adversary?) to hear?

@Yukiro

Ah. There she was. A relatively loud mew had virtually announced their presence. Yukiro glanced over at NIGHT. She looked... Hm. He couldn't quite place her feelings. What should he do...

Yukiro didn't say anything to her. He walked past the player without so much as a hello. This was his way of trying to say I am still very upset. But I'm trying not to hold it against you. It probably didn't convey that way, but he really didn't know what else to say or do. Not without being cruel, that is. Still, he shouldn't take this quest from her either. 

He didn't stop walking as he flipped open his menu and sent her a party invitation. 

"... Well? Are you coming? Or are you just going to stand there?" he asked with the irritation in his voice poorly hidden. Still, he didn't stop walking. But he did slow down, albeit only a little bit. "I'm going to fight the minotaurs. If you want to join just be sure to catch up."

@NIGHT

NIGHT sighed as the player she was hiding from took notice of her presence, glancing in her direction. "Okay, Nyanko," she whispered, too soft to hear. "Try not to do that next time." He meeped in response, and pressing her lips to his forehead was all she could do to cope with her irritation at the moment.

Yukiro passed by her tree, but knowing she had been spotted, NIGHT stepped out, hands outstretched, careful not to trip on the branches.

"Well? Are you coming, or are you just going to stand there?" The tone of his voice really got on her nerves, and it contrasted harshly with the invitation he sent her. Rolling her eyes, she accepted it, following Yukiro from a distance. "I'm going to fight the minotaurs," he added, slowing down without turning back. "If you want to join, just be sure to catch up."

Oh now he wants to talk, she quipped to herself, looking away. "Yeah, alright," she replied, seeming to shuffle her feet faster, but not intending to match her pace with her party member's.

@Yukiro

Yukiro could hear NIGHT walking behind her, but she was moving so slowly he was sure to leave her behind. With a heavy sigh and an irritated mind he turned back to look at his partner. 

"I can feel the hostility from here. You're mad at me. Do you want to talk about it or just glare at my back?" 

Yukiro was trying to hide his irritation. He really was. But he'd already been ticked off before this, he'd lost yet another chance to do something on his own, and he was being spited for being upset. As far as he was concerned, he should be spiting her. And yet he was the one who was trying not to! What was wring with-- 

Another moment to compose himself. Despite all of this he didn't want to blow up at NIGHT. So he just stood there quietly, trying not to look like he was ready to crush her feelings. 

@NIGHT

"I can feel the hostility from here." NIGHT huffed, being called out. "You're mad at me." She rolled her eyes. Wasn't that much evident? Thanks, Sherlock. "Do you want to talk about it or just glare at my back?"

Kicking at a pebble, she answered, eyes still trailing the dirt floor, "Like it matters." You're just gonna go back to brooding after this anyway. "If you want me to speed up, you can just say so," she added, picking up the pace out of spite. A scowl was etched on her face, and as she hurried, Nyanko shook on her shoulder, wondering what was up with her owner.

"Anyway," NIGHT breathed, "Since we're both here, you wanna tell me who told you about this place?" Her eye twitched as she imagined the info broker she had just so recently communicated with spilling the beans on whatever she was embarking on to whoever. "Or was it purely coincidence that we just so happened to end up on the same hunt at the same time?"

@Yukiro

"Like it matters. If you want me to speed up, you can just say so," NIGHT said bitterly, speeding up. She scowled heavily, which made Yukiro get a little angrier. 
"If I asked it matters. If I didn't care I'd have just kept walking," he replied, still trying hard not to sound aggressive, "But if you won't talk I won't ask." 
"Anyway," NIGHT breathed, "Since we're both here, you wanna tell me who told you about this place? Or was it purely coincidence that we just so happened to end up on the same hunt at the same time?
"..." Yukiro paused. What was she getting at? "I was told by an info broker. I didn't hear anything about you," he half-lied. There was something going on with her. Both NIGHT and the info broker. "But that doesn't matter anymore, does it?" 
His voice was shaky, as calm as he could make it. But the glint in his eye was raging hot. 
"But to answer your question, yes. As far as I'm concerned it was purely a coincident. Nothing more." 

@NIGHT

"But to answer your question, yes. As far as I'm concerned it was purely a coincidence. Nothing more."

"Hah," she scoffed, donning an irritatingly smug and morbid expression. "I doubt it. It's the second time I've run into you in two days." Her expression softened again as she fell silent, looking away with annoyance. Yukiro was still seething, she could tell, and while she wanted to talk, she knew stepping on his buttons wouldn't be good for either of them. Nyanko tried his best to cheer her up with a lick to her cheek, but it didn't matter. She gazed upon the kitten with an unfortunate disappointment.

On the other hand, she really wanted to push his buttons. It's the pettiness inside her -- NIGHT bet she could always abscond if she wanted to. Not wanting to stretch out the silence between them for too long, she queried in a hushed voice, her words seemingly laced with malice. "Why're you so mad anyway? What's there to be mad about?"

@Yukiro

"Why're you so mad anyway? What's there to be mad about?" NIGHT asked in a venomous tone. 

Something inside Yukiro snapped. 

"You wanna know? You REALLY want to know why I'm upset, Night? Fine. I'll tell you," he stopped dead and turned to face her, "In case it wasn't already obvious, Night, I am completely worthless. A waste of air. Trash worthy of nothing more than being thrown away," his voice started slowly getting louder as he spoke, "Why? I'm weak, Night. Remember the event? With the boss? In case you can't remember, I COULD NOT DO ANYTHING. I WENT BACK FOR THE SOUL PURPOSE OF PROTECTING PEOPLE LIKE YOU AND I. WAS. WORTHLESS.
"Fighting was my life. It was literally, LITERALLY the only thing I spent eighteen years of life doing. And I have been worthless. I can't even control my cursed emotions," he spat the word, "I can't control my rage! I can't even stop myself from having feeling for... People!! I have lost EVERYTHING that makes me who I am! I... I am nothing." 
The last words were said with a strange calmness that conveyed how convinced he was. That wasn't his feelings talking; as far as Yuki Junichiro was concerned, he had no worth. 
Yukiro didn't even bother to glare at NIGHT. He whirled around in a fit and started to storm off towards the minos. 

@NIGHT

NIGHT droned out the self loathing halfway.

Because she had it up to here with it.

"That's it?!" She clenched her fist and jaw. "Seriously? That's all there is to it?" Not wanting Nyanko to get caught up in the fight, she lowered him with care into her pocket, despite his protesting squeals. As Yukiro stormed off, she ran up after him, with full anger behind her footsteps.

"Look, you absolute idiot," she started, emotionally invested in her argument -- and her friend. "One god forsaken boss fight doesn't judge the weight of your worth. So what if you didn't hit the stupid boss?" She gestured with wide open arms. "It doesn't mean anything! You keep telling yourself your life rides or dies on the fact that you fight for something or someone," she spat, huffing at keeping up the pace by now. "And that'll lead you to forget about yourself! How's that working out for you, mister martyr complex?! Cut yourself some bloody break for once, you [censored]!"

@Yukiro

"That's it?! Seriously? That's all there is to it?" 
Yukiro hearn NIGHT run after him. 
"Look, you absolute idiot," she started, "One god forsaken boss fight doesn't judge the weight of your worth. So what if you didn't hit the stupid boss?" She gestured with wide open arms. "It doesn't mean anything! You keep telling yourself your life rides or dies on the fact that you fight for something or someone," she spat, huffing at keeping up the pace by now. "And that'll lead you to forget about yourself! How's that working out for you, mister martyr complex?! Cut yourself some bloody break for once, you [censored]!"

"YES! IT WILL LEAD ME TO FORGET ABOUT MYSELF! THAT'S THE POINT!" 
Yukiro had to take a moment to calm his nerves before continuing. 
"I was raised since birth to put other before myself. It was decided that I would be raised that way since before I was born. Think about it, Night. Picture it. Every day you can remember you are taught that your worth as a person is your strength.Is your ability to help others. Nothing more. If I was not of use I am therefor not of value. I am a weakness to be removed. That is all. That's why I went to fight that boss yesterday. I had to proved to myself that I could still have value. And I couldn't do that." 
"Therefore, until proven otherwise, I am worth nothing. Yes, I am a martyr. And I have been since before I was born." 

@NIGHT

"Oh I'm sorry," NIGHT barked back, fist clenching tight. "Should I call you Saint Almighty now?! All Knight Hero?! You're no god, Yukiro," she gulped, bracing herself for the meaning behind her own words. "You're only [f] mortal, no matter who told you that or how you've been brought up otherwise!"

"So that's why I'm so goddamn mad at you!" She hissed, stopping her pace. "You said you were raised that way. Had at any moment you even thought that this wasn't the way people -- people like you -- should be living? Huh? That in any way, it's not [f] normal?! Don't you ever want to lay back and relax -- you do that, don't you? So then why are you holding yourself to some god forsaken standard of superiority?!"

She wanted to scream, kick and cry -- Yukiro was upholding one of the very facets of real life she desperately hated. In an isolated situation like theirs, they should have every right to live here how they wanted! So, why...?

"-- Why the hell do you keep holding yourself to the values of the very society you believe to condemn?!"

@Yukiro

Yukiro had to pause at NIGHT's words. Why hold himself to those standards when he knew they would condemn him? Then again, why wouldn't he? He didn't know any other way to live. As far as he had lived there was no other way. 
Yukiro let out a heavy sigh. "Night. I can't expect you to understand. Please, don't think I'm trying to hold myself above you or anyone else. It's because I'm mortal-- because we're all mortal, that I do this. Tell me, is it better that someone else dies when I could have saved them? Is that right?"
"When I say that's how I've been raised, I don't mean it what I choose to think. It's all I know how to think. I don't understand how to live my life free of this burden. To me it's your way of life that stuns me; how do you feel okay with your own weakness? Why doesn't it crush you like it does me? How can you stand the fact that someone could die where you might have protected them, or at least given them a fighting chance? It's beyond me." He did his best to speak calmly, gently. It wasn't about his anger anymore. That he could save for himself. For now he had to try and set NIGHT's mind at ease. 

@NIGHT

"That's not a [f] weakness, Yukiro." NIGHT found herself retorting, with full vehement anger behind her argument. "That's bloody tragedy and anguish speaking. What's the difference between you and I," she goaded, "that makes you strong and myself weak? Your tragedy? Your determination to live for others instead of yourself? Your lack of dignity or respect for yourself?"

The woman lowered her head, warning him, "You keep beating yourself up like that, and there'll be nothing left of you to save anyone else. Surely, you must have some sense of self preservation, if you think life is so worth living that you'd suffer just for the sake of it."

"So, tell me, Yukiro. Where's that part of you that wants to enjoy life," she continued, thinking on her feet. "Where's the part of you that wants to stay in a world where you have power where others don't, the part of you that doesn't want to go back to reality?"

"Tell me. Show me," NIGHT challenged, angered enough to find her hand to the hilt of her blade. Her thumb felt the cloth wrapping Doombringer's handle for comfort. "Who are you, when there's no one left to fight, and there's no one left to save?"

@Yukiro

Edited by NIGHT

"Who are you, when there's no one left to fight, and there's no one left to save?"

The words seemed to resonate in his skull. Who was he when there was nobody left to save? 
I... I don't know... What would I do with my life? What could I do with it? 
Yukiro opened his mouth to say something, but closed it again. He truly had no answer this time. It took him a long time for his mind to even begin to form a response. And when he finally did it was slow and quiet. 
"I don't know what makes me strong anymore. That's the problem, that's why I'm so torn up over it. Nothing makes you weak, Night. Not in my eyes. I've never simply... enjoyed life. Not before this game. I've done things here like take naps... and eat good foods. I've even made a few friends. I was never able to do those before. I... I do want to stay. But more then that... More then that," he whirled around, facing away from NIGHT as e felt he eyes get wet again. Cursed feelings. "More then than I want to live, I want to see you live. I want you and Bahr and Koga and everyone else to live! And I'm scared! What if something happens and I can't--!" 
Another pause. 
"Even if there's just one, just one, single person alive, I want to be able to protect that person. I don't know what else I could do."

@NIGHT

It took time. Time that fell silent upon NIGHT's ears. As it ticked by, she lowered her hand from her blade's handle, but the ferocity of her rage never left her gaze. Well. So be it, then. As long as it made her friend finally think for himself...

She began to walk forward, when Yukiro finally answered.

"-- I don't know what makes me strong anymore. That's the problem, that's why I'm so torn up over it..."

"..."

The same way the boy invested himself into every word, NIGHT listened intently in return, searching for his conviction and meaning.

"... Even if there's just one, just one, single person alive, I want to be able to protect that person. I don't know what else I could do."

"... You want to see us live?" The harsh anger that burned in her eyes turned sharp and cold. "Then make sure you're alive to see it through, Yukiro. That's what enjoying life is for. That's what taking a break is for."

"That's why people worry when you start breaking down about yourself."

She glanced at Nyanko, a tinge of worry for his well being from the fight, before looking back at Yukiro, adding in a hushed, stern voice. "If something does happen --" Which it won't. NIGHT was more than certain of it at the time. "-- then at least you can say you lived with them."

NIGHT began to continue walking. They had a quest they wanted to do, and she nearly forgot about it in the middle of confronting her friend. As she moved past Yukiro, she imparted a piece of advice, solemn. "Make the most of your time here being you while you still have it."

And then she was on her way.

@Yukiro

Spoiler

Yukiro: 280 HP | 28 EN | 10 DMG | 2 ACC | 18 MIT | 3 EVA | 1 REG 
Minotaurs: HP 45 | DMG 30
ID# 129803 | BD: 6
Yukiro: HP 280/280 | EN 23/28 (-5)
Minotaur 1: HP 45/45 (-50)
Minotaur 2: HP 45/45

Yukiro stood still and silent as NIGHT walked past him. 
"..." 
Live to see them live. It sounded so simple. Yet in contradicted everything he'd lived for his entire life. There was no way he could just do it. 
"I'll try." He barely breathed the response before turning to keep up with NIGHT. 
As it turned out the minotaurs weren't that far away. They didn't have to walk in silence for long before they reached a place where the vegetation ceased and two towering beast-men stood. 
Yukiro drew his sword. Nothing NIGHT had said had culled his rage. In fact, if anything, it was even greater. 
In a heartbeat Yukiro shot off the ground and into one of the massive monsters, his sword carving a path directly through it's body so that it was cleaved in two. The ox-man bellowed for a moment before shattering. 
NIGHT! Keep up the momentum!

@NIGHT

Edited by Yukiro