[F01 - SP] Round Two <<Training Your Friend>>

Recently, Bahr had been noticing a slight change in Swine Bajesus. It was subtle, and the untrained eye might not catch it. But as a man who had spent every moment of his life with the microscopic pig since they met, it was impossible to ignore. Swine Bajesus was becoming more bold, more ferocious, and dare he say, more violent. It seemed eager to return to the same field they had once perused and train itself in a different art. The first time it had been tasked with striking a leaf as it fell from a tree, landing a hit before the leaf managed to make contact with the ground. This time, Bahr had something different in mind.

The small boar stirred from its pocket as Bahr sauntered onto the field, feeling the presence of its homeland and wanting to sneak a peak. It looked overjoyed to be back there, and see the boars roaming the fields. It made Bahr wonder if he wanted to go back.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

"What's the matter, buddy? You miss it here?" Bahr inquired, plucking the small creature from his inner coat pocket and gingerly plopping it onto his shoulder.

The response was a somber nod in the positive.

"Well, do you want to stay? Once upon a time, I stole you away from this place, and you hardly had a say in it. But after getting to know you, I wouldn't want to keep you away from your home, if that's what you want."

It pondered Bahr's offer for a moment, but inevitably shook its head in the negative. What an animated creature. There was a determined gleam in its beady eyes.

"Haha, yeah, I thought as much. What would you do if you never saw Riker again? I don't think you or he would be able to handle that. And Lessa would be straight up pissed with me if I let you go. Just know that the option is always available to you."

Swine Bajesus nodded its head thankfully, but remained affixed to Bahr's shoulder. Who would have known that their relationship would have blossomed into something like this? Bahr had never had so much respect for a fragment of data before. That being said, there was so much character in this little blob that it made it difficult not to find himself attached. So much passion, so much attitude. Even if Bahr were able to find another familiar after Swine Bajesus left him, it would never be the same. It was completely unique, just as was the bond they had forged together.

But enough being sentimental. There was a reason that Bahr had brought the pig here today. It was time to train him in a new art. He had learned precision, but there were ways that Bahr could simulate that now through his equipment. What he needed now was more raw strength. And he had a plan to make just that happen.

"You know," Bahr started, pitching his jaw downward and looking at his minuscule friend, "I've heard rumors that there's another tiny little boar running around out here, just like you."

The creature was visibly upset by this. Another tiny pig that refused to grow? That was Swine Bajesus' schtick! How dare some low-life, wild, inferior swine mongrel steal away his precious unlikeness.

"I know, I know," Bahr mused with a grin and a shrug, taking care not to pitch the tiny boar off of his shoulder. "I was surprised when I heard about it, too. And I figured you would feel this way. That's why I brought you here."

It looked up to Bahr and tilted its head in confusion.

"That's right. You're gonna kick that poser's ass. Show it who the real Swine Bajesus is. Who's the spawn of Swine Jesus? You, that's who. There's not a single other boar in Aincrad that could square off against your might. And we're going to prove that."

Swine Bajesus blinked. Then it tilted its head to the other side and squinted.

"What's that look for?" Swine Bajesus huffed in response. "Come on, man! You've gotta get into it. You wanna just let that freaking pig get away with copying you like that?" It seemed to consider what Bahr was saying, mulling it over while tapping its bulbous chin with its hoof. "There's nothing to think about. Let's do this. Show me your war face!" It rolled its eyes before standing on its hind hooves, which trembled under its weight. It struck a superman pose, expression completely deadpan, with not a shred of enthusiasm to be found. "No! Your war face! Like this! AAAAAGGGGHHHH!" he screamed into the face of the boar, sending it tumbling backward. 

Finally, it looked at Bahr with a fire in its eyes. It stood up tall and strong, striking an even harder pose than before, anger evident in its expression as it howled the mightiest squeak it could muster toward Bahr.

Spoiler

ID: 130717
CD: 4
Training failed.

"That's more like it!" Bahr roared enthusiastically. Off in the distance, a pair of players were giving them weird looks. Bahr jeered their direction, and it seemed to make them scuttle away a bit faster. Good. They didn't need a pack of noobs ruining what was supposed to be a good day. "Now all we need to do is find the damn thing. I doubt it would spawn where you did - that just seems too obvious. Do you have any ideas?"

Swine Bajesus looked around for a few moments before enthusiastically pointing in a direction with one of its hooves. Bahr looked to where it had pointed, and only saw a small coolie filled with trees. "You just selected that randomly, didn't you?" Bahr asked with a grin as the micro pig nodded while maintaining its point. "Alright," Bahr replied, shifting his weight and starting toward the treeline. "We do it your way. But I get to choose the next spot."

As the pair meandered toward the coolie, Bahr started to get weird vibes. His breathing hastened and the hairs on the back of his neck began to stand up. Had something happened here?

Yes, that's right. This was where the tentacle plant creature had thrashed him around for no less than thirty minutes and forced him to consume all of his healing items in a single battle. That entire experience had been a nightmare. And the lubricant that lined its vines had ruined his coat! He'd needed to craft a new one when he got back to town just so he could wear something that wasn't smeared from head to toe in unidentifiable goop. What a shitty experience.

But now wasn't the time to be focusing on something like that. Today was a day for Swine Bajesus, not lamenting about ferocious mobs he had fought during his lower leveled times. Besides, if they ran into one of those monsters again, he felt confident that he could shatter it with a single blow. They had absolutely nothing to be worried about.

As they entered the forest, the coolness of the shade the leaves provided offered them both a bit of relief from the unrelenting heat. It was one of those days where it was just a little too hot out, and your skin began to stick to your clothes. That tacky feeling was one of the only things that Bahr hated about summer. The rest of it was great. Color everywhere you looked, loose and comfortable clothing, and no shivering. God, the shivering. Such an uncomfortable feeling. Much worse than sticky clothes.

Though, his recent regular visits to the fourth floor had done wonders for building his tolerance to the cold and snow. Not that he spent a lot of his time outside. It was his frequent visits to the White Rabbit Tavern that kept him coming back over and over again. Where it was warm, and there was always a fresh plate of chocolate chip cookies ready and waiting. The homely vibe drew him in a the most random of times. He would probably pay it another visit once their work was done in the fields today.

A message notification suddenly pinged, jarring Bahr from his mental drooling over chocolate chip cookies. Intrigue glistened in his orbs as he read who it was from. Conciliator, his info broker. He hastily opened his menu and navigated to the messaging panel, opening the digital letter and beginning to read.

To: Bahr

I tried, I really did. But I couldn't find nothin' on that friend of yers, Kirbs. 

Don't mean to be that kinda lady, but we both know what that probably means. 

Don't do anythin' stupid. I'll keep diggin'.

- Conciliator

Bahr hastily wrote a reply.

To: Conciliator

Yes, please, keep looking. She isn't the sort to eat the dust like that. 

Keep me posted. Thanks.

- Bahr

Could she really be..? No. That was absurd. What in this world was even strong enough to take her down? Unless she took herself to a higher floor and abandoned all sense of caution, there was no reasonable reason to assume she was dead. It just couldn't happen. Not to her.

Bahr's face was grim as he dismissed the messaging panels, gulping down his anxiety. Swine Bajesus seemed able to detect the tension in his bunched muscles, and offered a comforting nuzzle against its owner's neck. Bahr smiled solemnly and patted the tiny pig. "Thanks, Bajesus. Glad I have you buddy." 

Though he secretly longed for more. As comforting as the gestures of his virtual companion were, he wished that there was someone else around to pour his anxiety into. It was a selfish thought, and he understood that. But not knowing was gnawing away at him, and he wanted- needed someone to tell him that it was going to be okay. 

He shook his head as though trying to shake the feelings of dread away. It didn't work, but he managed to put on a fake smile anyway. Today was Bajesus' day, not his. He couldn't make it all about himself. They needed to press on and find the Swine Bajesus imposter.

Spoiler

ID: 130721
CD: 4
Training failed.

After perusing the forest for about an hour, Bahr was starting to lose hope that he would find what he was looking for. After taking a glance at Swine Bajesus, it became clear that it was beginning to have the same doubts. "Well, I think we've exhausted the forest," Bahr finally relented on an exhale, shifting his direction toward the slope leading out of the coolie. Unfortunately, though it was a direct line to the exit, it seemed as though Bahr had chosen the path of most resistance. He had to press his body through various shrubs, dodge looming branches, and was thwacked by woody appendages more than once on his way out.

When he finally emerged, he was out of breath, struggling to pull himself out of the coolie, and had leaves and twigs stuck in his hair. The same pair of players from before stood not far off, and stared at Bahr as he gracelessly heaved himself up onto the field once more. After a bit of panting, he jeered at them, and they scuttled away once more.

With a grumble, Bahr pulled himself up to his feet. Right, now it was his turn to pick a location. Perhaps it was because he was feeling nostalgic, but he decided to venture toward the area in which he had met Swine Bajesus the first time. If this creature truly was a full-fledged imposter, perhaps it had spawned in the same place. That would be convenient, but it seemed almost a little too convenient. But if they left it for the last place to check, wouldn't they feel a bit foolish for doing so?

As they set out toward the area, Bahr could feel Swine Bajesus giving him a dirty look. "What? Don't look at me like that. I know, I know. I said we shouldn't go there. But I changed my mind. Besides, at least over there I won't need to deal with a ton of vegetation." He began plucking the twigs and leaves from his white mane. "I know you might not get this, what with your short hair and all. But having stuff stuck in it? It really sucks. And hurts."

Swine Bajesus didn't seem convinced, but relented anyways. What was it to do? Defy its master's wishes? Well, the option was open for it, but it didn't truthfully want to. Its life with Bahr thus far had actually been a pretty sweet deal. An abundance of food whenever it wanted to eat, a cozy home inside of a coat attached to a human space heater, and it never felt unsafe. Not a single time. Whenever it was with Bahr, it felt as though nothing could ever bring it harm. Its owner was simply far too tenacious to allow that to happen.

It may have shown a bit of fear around other familiars or animals, but that was only because it knew that their reflexes were sharper than that of its owner. It had no doubt that Bahr would retrieve it if something were to happen, but that didn't mean it would enjoy the ride in the meantime. That being said, it had yet to happen. Perhaps they sensed the same thing in Bahr that Swine Bajesus did, and stayed away to avoid conflict.

"Bajesus? You alright there buddy?"

Bahr had never seen a pig so deep in thought before. Was it... Was it evolving? Developing a more capable brain than it had had before? Could it actually think for itself?

Nah, that was a ridiculous concept.

They weren't far off from the site now, and Bahr had a good feeling about it. Even though he had had his doubts of returning here before, he was glad that he had changed his mind. His gut was rarely wrong, so perhaps this would be the hallowed ground where Swine Bajesus would square off against the faker. And even if they didn't find it here, it would still be nice to return to the spot where they had met and reminisce. Though, he wasn't sure if Swine Bajesus had the capacity to do so. He chose to behave as though it did.

"Hope you're ready, bud. I've got a feeling about this place. Gird your hooves." Swine Bajesus could feel it, too. With every step, they got closer to rounding the corner. With every step, its heartbeat quickened, until...

Nothing. Absolutely nothing. It appeared as though their trek to this spot had been for nothing, at least in the training sense. Bahr cast a nervous glance to Swine Bajesus, who was already staring daggers and slowly shaking its head at him in disapproval.

"Hey, come on, man. You have to admit, it was at least worth a shot. But just like I had thought before, it seems a spot like this was just too easy. The good news is that you get to pick the next spot."

It looked away from him dismissively.

"What? You're just giving up? You're gonna let that faker parade itself around here as though it's you?"

It jeered in response. Clearly it was still unhappy about another boar like itself existing. The truth was, Bahr was beginning to doubt that the damn thing even existed. It had just been a rumor, after all. Or, more like a whisper he had heard in passing. For all he knew, they may have been talking about his boar when he heard it.

Spoiler

ID: 130727
LD: 2
Training failed.

After a huff and a bit more attitude, Swine Bajesus finally settled on another direction, pointing aimlessly with its tiny hoof. Bahr couldn't see anything in the direction it had pointed, save for a gigantic boulder. "The rock? Really?" Swine Bajesus nodded its head enthusiastically. "Well, you're the boss. I guess we'll go check it out. Not sure what a baby boar would be doing around a big ass rock, but you're really the expert here. Let's go."

As they strode across the field, Bahr could feel the mobs avoiding them. They knew better. While these fields had once been a source of torment for him in his earlier levels, there was now not a doubt in his mind that he could eviscerate absolutely everything wandering the floor in a single blow. It seemed that the mobs could feel this, too. While Bahr understood that these were just standard MMO mechanics, it made him feel incredibly powerful. It may have been a tad vain, but he allowed himself to indulge in the sensation. At least a little bit.

"Hey, Bajesus," Bahr mused, bucking his shoulder ever so slightly to catch the pig's attention. "What do you think you'd be doing right now if we'd never met?"

The tiny boar tilted its head and squinted. Obviously, there was no way it could convey what it was thinking, so Bahr did his best to fill in the blanks.

"I might just be spitballing here, but I imagine the other boars picked on you a lot, right? That tends to happen with us humans if there's one of who's different. I know exactly how it feels, actually. I was the runt at my school until like seventh grade. Err, okay, you probably don't know what that means, but let's just say I was small for a long time. Then one year, I gained an inch every month. It was totally surreal. I just started growing like a weed. Then I filled out and my physique came in, and suddenly nobody wanted to pick on me anymore."

It felt like the message was getting lost here.

"Anyways, I guess I'm just trying to say that it must be nice to not have to deal with that sort of thing anymore."

The tiny boar nodded a bit. It seemed that Bahr had hit the nail on the head.

"Thought so. Well, I'm glad that I was able to help you out with that a bit. Besides, circling back to my original question, what would you even be doing right now? Probably just grazing somewhere. Watching the world pass you by. Waiting until a particularly overzealous player came along and decided to attack. It's a good thing that I scooped you up, otherwise you may have ended up someone's dinner. And we can't have that."

Swine Bajesus just simply stared at him blankly. It was probably because he was just rambling at this point. Off in the distance, he caught the same pair of players from before staring at him once again. No doubt they thought he was talking to himself.

"Okay, seriously, can you guys piss off? Go to a different floor or something. I'm tired of catching the two of you gawking."

As the pair scuttled away yet again, Bahr noticed that they were making good time on approaching the rock. He wasn't positive, but he could have sworn that he saw something littering the grass there. Was that... soup? There was just soup laying in the grass? As he got a bit closer, he was able to confirm. Definitely soup. Why was it there? The telltale signs of a duel lingered in the area as well. Bahr could practically trace the movements of the fight from the footfall he saw imprinted on the grass. A great battle had been waged here.

"Strange. What do you make of it, Bajesus?" The tiny boar simply stared on indifferently. Bahr supposed it probably didn't have the keen eye to discern signs of combat like he did. "Eh, don't worry about it. I'm sure it's nothing." But was it, though? He didn't see anyone around. Was it the two players he kept bumping into? Wouldn't that be something, if they had dueled and then carried on together as though nothing had happened.

When they finally rounded the boulder, Bahr could hardly believe his eyes. There it stood, only inches tall, grazing on a helping of grass that a normal boar could [censored] away in a single bite. Swine Bajesus had been correct after all. They had finally found it!

"Bajesus! Attack!" Bahr sputtered, prompting the tiny pig to spring into action while the imposter in the grass had its wits scared out of it and simply froze. Swine Bajesus landed on Imposter Bajesus and the pair of plump bodies gracelessly rolled across the grass for a pace or two. Swine Bajesus was the first one its feet, and viciously attacked its adversary with a headbutt straight to the face. With a tiny squeal, the miniature pic scurried away as fast as its little legs could carry it, back in the direction from which Bahr and Bajesus had come.

"Nice work!" Bahr bellowed as Swine Bajesus issued a bark of triumph at the fleeing micropig. "That went perfectly. Absolutely perfectly. How do you feel?"

Spoiler

ID: 130728
CD: 7
1/3 successful trainings.