[F01 - SP] Round Two <<Training Your Friend>>

Peculiar. Bahr realized that he had never struggled with a quest so much before. And it was one that he had already completed in the past. Obviously, the parameters for this time were different. More difficult. But that was to be expected. As one advanced and became stronger, smarter, better equipped, so too would the challenges they faced. And with each and every triumph over the increasingly shaky odds, the sense of satisfaction would scale accordingly. There was no denying that seizing this victory would feel amazing after so much strife.

It was no longer a matter of if, but when. Bahr knew they were closing in. Swine Bajesus knew they were closing in. Imposter Bajesus knew they were closing in. It was only a matter of time. "If" was of absolutely no consequence. They would win. They would triumph. It was written in stone.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Bahr once believed that all energy in Aincrad flowed according to the whims of the Great Cardinal. For the most part, that was true. But today Bahr endeavored to betray this energy. To exert an energy of his own. To prove that his destiny was in his own hands. Cardinal itself could descend from the heavens and challenge Bahr's pursuit of completing this task, and still he would defy it. He would find a way. He would beat the odds. Just as he always had, and would continue to do.

Nothing. Nothing was getting in the way of this. Not "fate." Nothing. There was not a singular thing that could stop this. Short of being rendered physically incapable of doing this, it was going to be done. Stopping it was not possible. Bahr and Swine Bajesus had together become the unstoppable force. Imposter Bajesus could run for as long as it wanted, but so long as they pressed on, it would live in fear until its inevitable demise.

Bahr was laughing again, but this time they were laughs of confidence. Of knowing that he was right. That they would persevere and wrestle asunder from the mortal coil their enemy. That it would cease to exist under the pressure of their might. That its final moments would be seeing them sapping away whatever energy it had left and casting it to the winds.

They. Would. Destroy. It. 

And there was nothing that it could do about it. It was powerless to stop them. Everything was powerless to stop it. If you pointed at something and said, "Hey, this might stop you," Bahr would merely shrug and laugh. Because he feared not the intervention of any entity. Man, beast, or god. He would not believe it had the tenacity, nor the capacity to stop this sure inevitability. Not a damn thing could. Nothing. Nothing. Absolutely nothing. Nothing could stop it. Nothing.

The sun was beginning to set, and the first raindrops were beginning to fall from the heavens. There was no thunder yet, but Bahr knew that it would come soon enough. He cared not, and he hoped that Swine Bajesus had moved past its inhibitions at this point as well. They were so close to completing their goal. Just a little further. Keep going.

Every step they took across the now loamy soil was another victory. They were high off of it. A step closer to the end of this nightmare. A step closer to never having to go through this again. They were so close. And yes, this did feel overly dramatic. Bahr recognized that his mindset was not a usual one. He knew that it was not normal to put so much emphasis into every step, and seek meaning from the turbulent air that surrounded them, vibrating with frustration. But if he let go of this muse, there was no going back. He would fail.

Almost there. He could hear the scurrying now. It was struggling with something. Had he been in a proper mindset, he may have felt sorry for the creature. But given the hell that it had put them through, he felt no sorrow or remorse for the terrified animal. It had every right to be scared, and it should have been. It was good that it was. Such was a natural response when faced with certain death. Those who bragged about feeling a wave of calm wash over them were either lying, or had come so close to the fringe that they were practically dead already. The moments before would always be fear, for anyone. The uncertainty. The awareness that you had no idea what came next. Coming to grips with the very real possibility that you may just cease to be, and that will be it. Nothingness. It is terrifying, being being is all that we know.

Spoiler

ID: 130740
CD: 6
Training failed.

The scurrying gradually became louder. Perfect. Bahr had never before felt so in tune with his most primal instincts. He was not even angry anymore. He was excited. There was a wrongness to it all that felt so right. Like it was what he had been meant for. In ancient times, there was a place in society for the fighters and hunters, those of us who excelled at that and nothing else. They were important. They mattered. But in modern times, these skills were shunned as a remnant of an old world. But there were still those who had those genes imprinted into them. Those that were born and built to be predators. Bahr had never recognized it in the real world, because he had been conditioned to believe that this mindset was reprehensible. But that was wrong. It was natural, and he had found his place in the world in Aincrad.

The idea that there would never again be a need for people adept in violence and the way of the predator was foolish. Those who subscribed to it were fooling themselves. Take the people within Sword Art Online, for instance. Who were the ones leading the charge to free everyone from the clutches of Cardinal? The wolves, or the sheep? The answer was obvious. Had it not been for these individuals with violence coded in their genes, the entire effort would be a lost cause. They would be trapped here until their bodies in the real world eventually began to give out and they started dropping like flies, one by one. 

They owed their lives to people like Bahr. The very violent predators they pretended to be superior to. Though their posturing may have worked in the molding of the real world, their place was evident in this one. Eat or be eaten. Kill or be killed. That was the law of this world, and their experience within it was insufficient.

The ran had turned into a torrential downpour now. Every step through the forest caked Bahr's boots with mud as he sloshed through the puddles that lined the path. The scurrying was getting harder to make out beyond the cacophony of droplets hammering down against the landscape, but Bahr could still hear it. He was tuned into it, and he wasn't letting it go. His pace had picked up a bit, knowing the creature wouldn't be paying attention to his footfall amidst the heavy rain.

He was closing in faster now. It was only a matter of time. With every powerful stride Bahr took, he could feel himself getting closer and closer to his target. Just a little longer. Just a little further. And it could all be over. They would not mess up this time. They would not fail this time. This was it. The moment they had been waiting for. It all culminated into this singular occurrence that would shift the trajectory of their lives forever.

Finally, they were upon it. It had cornered itself in a depression carved into a rocky slope, no way around its hunters who now stood before it. It turned around and attempted to scuttle up the wall, but it was too slick and too steep for its hard hooves to gain any traction against. When it finally realized its efforts were in vain, it slowly turned around to face it captors, the fear evident in its expression. This was the end.

"Bajesus," Bahr called plainly as the tiny pig hopped from his shoulder. It slowly closed in on Imposter Bajesus as the timid baby board instinctively backed away. Bahr's eyes ignited with passion as he saw the inevitability that was about to unfold before him. A few more steps and Swine Bajesus would have it. What they had both worked so hard and waited so long for. It would claim the imposter's power as its won and transcend. 

It was time.

"Destroy."

Swine Bajesus' muscles bunched up as it assumed its stance, raking one of his front hooves backward against the soaked soil repeatedly as it squared up its opponent. These muscles continued to balloon until it looked like a bizarre, mutated caricature of itself. Uncomfortable muscular, poised to strike, deep huffs escaping its snout as it prepared to strike.

It lurched forward. Then it charged.

It collided against the imposter with such ferocity that even Bahr winced. If he'd taken a hit like that from Swine Bajesus, he would have had his legs swept out from under him without so much as a modicum of resistance. The imposter flew back and struck the stony wall behind it, falling into a pile on the floor in front of Swine Bajesus. It neared, staring down at its pitiful "rival" with disdain as it rose its hoof, ready to smash the tiny pig's skull in like a ripe watermelon. A flash of lightning illuminated, casting a shadow of the display against the wall moments before a deafening boom pervaded the area. 

Everything was ready. This was the moment. It rose its hoof to the apex, slammed it down, and...

Stopped just before it made impact with the other boar. Its muscles returned to their normal size, and Bahr was given a quest completion prompt as a result. It seemed that they had gotten what they had come for. 

Swine Bajesus' display of mercy had finally reeled Bahr back in from his frenzied thoughts. His head began spinning with the reality of the mindset he had adopted. Once again he had fallen victim to the primal urges that threatened to send him over the edge into some darker version of himself. Crossing the line from which nobody could come back. Of all of the people that could have prevented this, Swine Bajesus was the last he expected. 

He was extremely grateful.

"Come on, Bajesus. Let's go find a place to relax."

Spoiler

ID: 130741
CD: 7
Familiar Training completed.

FLOOR 4

It didn't take them long to make their way back to the Town of Beginnings, teleport to Snowfrost, and wander to the White Rabbit Tavern. The trek had been a bit colder than usual, given the fact that they were soaked to the core. But as soon as they entered the homely bar/cafe, the tension immediately began to leave their bodies. The aroma of the roasting coffee and the soundtrack of the wood crackling beneath the flames in the fireplace worked its magic, and they found themselves feeling more at ease than they had in hours. It was a delightful feeling.

"Thank you, Alexander," Bahr said appreciatively as he was handed a cup of coffee by the NPC. He took a sip, but upon noticing that Alexander hadn't yet gone back to his position at the counter, he gave the man a puzzled look. "Is something the matter?"

"No Lessa today?"

Curiosity set into Bahr's eyes. Why did he care?

"No, not today," he replied neutrally. 

"I've been curious," Alexander started, a glimmer of intrigue sparkling in his brick-colored eyes. "What exactly is going on between the two of you? Are you a couple?"

Bahr nearly spat out his coffee. A couple? Despite Bahr's familiarity with NPC dialogue routes, he had never heard an NPC ask something like that.

"Err... No, Alexander. We're just friends. Why do you ask?"

"Ah, I see. I just thought the two of you seemed cute together, was all. I'll leave you alone now." With that, Alexander finally turned and made his way back to the counter from whence he came.

Bahr cast a puzzled look toward Swine Bajesus, who was resting in the armchair beside him. He was utterly unconscious, totally wiped, and completely sprawled out to take up as much space as physically possible on the seat it had all to itself. Bahr couldn't blame it for being tired, given the circumstances. It had earned this rest.

Since Bahr didn't have anyone to share this with, he opened his menu and navigated to the messaging window. He composed a message to Lessa that he felt he would actually have the guts to send this time. The smile on his face grew more and more with each letter added.

To: Lessa

Alexander's talking about you.

I think he might have a soft spot for you. He's going very dad-mode on me. It's the funniest thing.

What are you up to?

- Bahr

The message sent confirmation pinged, and all he had left to do was await a response. He wondered if she had told Alexander something? Even if she had, how had he developed that sort of dialogue option? It seemed totally unique. Yet again, it seemed that Bahr had a lot more to learn about this world than he realized. Just when he thought he had it all figured out, something else would happen that would floor him.

It was endlessly exciting.

No sooner than Bahr raised his mug of coffee back to his lips than Lessa had responded. The grin set back into his cheeks as he read, taking the occasional sip of coffee.

To: Bahr

Oh really? Good things, I hope. He promised he’d keep all my secrets. Like how many of his cookies I actually eat. He’s such a good guy.

Not up to much. Hanging around the house. Still in my sweats.

Yeah yeah, -insert wisecrack about me being lazy here-.

What has you in the White Rabbit?

- Lessa

A chuckle escaped his lips toward the end of the reading, low enough that it wouldn't disturb the minuscule pig lying next to him. He sent the coffee down and eagerly wrote back.

Yeah, good things, I'd say. Although he did tell me that thing you do with mac and cheese. Gross.

And, you know, just relaxing. It was a long day, but my little pig and I pulled through. This is a good place to unwind. I also see this really cool person in here every now and then, but she's not around today. Wonder where she's at?

Probably just being lazy somewhere.

- Bahr

Another ping, just as quick as the last. The smile was just permanently stuck on Bahr's face at this point. She was just too fun to talk to.

Excuse me, that’s a delicacy in some parts of the world. It’s not my fault that you’re so uncultured.

I hope that everything went alright, and that you’re both okay. What happened? I’ll never forgive you if anything happens to that pig. Or to you, for that matter.

Not sure who this cool person is, but maybe you could introduce us?

- Lessa

Uncultured? But it was apple sauce in mac and cheese. Apple sauce in mac and cheese.

I'm sure it's a crime in other parts of the world, too. Like at my house.

Yeah, everything's fine. It wasn't particularly traumatic or anything, just... a really long day. We were doing a bit of rework on Bajesus' stats, and had a rough go of it. 

And sure, I'd love to introduce you. You'd just have to, you know, show up first. I'm sure you'll just adore her. I know I do.

- Bahr

Hmmm. That felt a little awkward.

I'm sure it's a crime in other parts of the world, too. Like at my house.

Yeah, everything's fine. It wasn't particularly traumatic or anything, just... a really long day. We were doing a bit of rework on Bajesus' stats, and had a rough go of it. 

And sure, I'd love to introduce you. You'd just have to, you know, show up first. I'm sure you'll just adore her.

- Bahr

That's better.

Another ping, but Bahr was already reading.

I wouldn’t know. I’ve never been to your house.

I’m glad you’re both doing okay. Stat change sounds interesting. You’ll have to tell me about it sometime.

You know, I’d love to come out. And I’m sure Riker would get a kick out of spending time with Bajesus. But it kind of sounds like something I’d have to put real pants on for.

- Lessa

Another cackle, this time a tad louder than the first. Bajesus slowly reared its tiny head an stared daggers at Bahr. "Don't give me that look," Bahr started, offering the pig a wry smile. "Sounds like you'll get to see Riker soon." This seemed to perk the creature up a bit, but it still refused to move.

Huh, I guess you're right. We'll need to fix that soon. If you feel up to a bit of mischief, we can commit a crime by putting this secret recipe of yours to the test.

Real pants? Oh, the humanity. You may as well not even come, then. I'm sure Cool Person™ will understand. I might not, but she will.

Just get your ass over here already.

- Bahr

No need to be a dick about it. <3

- Lessa

Bahr leaned back in the armchair, amused grin covered by his fingers as the wheels turned in his head. She had him, and he knew it. He'd set her up perfectly.

"Hey, Alexander," he called across the parlor, looking back over his chair.

"Yes, Bahr?"

"You should put some cookies in the oven. We're having company."

The NPC chuckled to himself, but nonetheless started making the preparations. Meanwhile, Bahr turned his attention back to the screen. 

Obviously, you don't know me as well as I thought you did. We'll need to fix that, too.

When can I expect you?

- Bahr

Soon, hopefully. This was a conversation he really wanted to continue in person. He could feel his mood improving already, and he craved more of that energy. A dose through a screen was satisfactory, but it had nothing on the real deal. Hopefully she felt the same.

It’s a bit of a hike, as you know. But I’m heading out now.

Have the cookies ready for me when I get there?

- Lessa

Hah. He knew her too well. What would she do with out him? He looked back over his chair again, offering Alexander a silent thumbs up from across the parlor. When he got one in return, he smirked and turned back to the translucent digital screen that lay before him.

Wow, that was quick! I figured you'd need more time to pry yourself away from your sweats. Something tells me you're more excited than you're letting on.

They're already in the oven. Get here quick so they don't get cold waiting for you.

- Bahr

Sent. It was a bit of a hike to get from her house to the teleport gate. Maybe if she really hauled ass, she could get there in time to catch a few cookies while they were still hot and fresh.

Cookies > sweats, always. Though if I have my way, I eat cookies IN my sweats. Let’s plan on that next time.

Back to the earlier issue of going to your house. That’s fine, but I’ll have to insist that you do the cooking. It’s a matter of life and death. I wonder if you can die from food poisoning in a safe zone? Or being burned alive in a kitchen fire? Hmmm...

- Lessa

Didn't even have to think about the response.

Only you could ruin mac and cheese to the extent that it becomes a life or death scenario. Or is that because you're putting apple sauce in it?

Either way, I applaud your exceptional ability.

My house is outside the safe zone, by the way. So you really never know.

- Bahr

Bahr was having way too much fun with this. He'd never had an actual conversation with someone over messages like this in Aincrad. It made him think back to his Discord days, when that was still a thing. Good times.

Can you imagine what the Monument will say? Death by salmonella?

My cooking is more dangerous than any boss.

- Lessa

The laugh that erupted from Bahr's gut caused Swine Bajesus to jump to and look around the room with panicked eyes. When it realized it was just Bahr being a goofball, it huff and spun in a circle before laying down once more. It wasn't that what Lessa had said was that funny on its own, but he was too wound up at this point to hold back the howls. Death by salmonella? Salmonella Fitzgerald, maybe.

You should see the looks people are giving me right now. You monster. I about gave Bajesus a heart attack.

Oh, I'm starting to smell the cookies. They must be close to done. Are you close?

- Bahr

People around the tavern were eyeing him cautiously, but he didn't care. He was enjoying himself and finally allowing himself to unwind, which was exactly how he needed to end his day.

T-5 minutes. If you eat even one cookie without me, I’ll kill you.

- Lessa

With that, he closed the messaging prompt and looked back over his chair toward Alexander, who was pulling a tray of perfect chocolate chip cookies out of the oven. Perfect timing. He waited for a few more minutes until he heard the door open, waving Lessa over to their spot by the fireplace. As she approached, so to did Alexander with a full tray of cookies for them to snack on. Bahr gesture for Lessa to take a seat while Swine Bajesus beckoned Riker to join it on its own.

"Nice of you to finally join us, Lazy Bones. I didn't eat any cookies, I swear," he chortled, raising his hands defensively. With a grin, he leaned over and picked up two cookies, offering one to Lessa and keeping the other for himself. "But really, it's good to see you. What have you been up to, besides wearing out your sweats?"